Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Availability: Fall

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

(Beer added by: Megahertz on 10-12-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

BeerNDoggerel

11-04-2013 01:53:07 | More by BeerNDoggerel
notalagerlugger

4.99/5  rDev +16.9%

This is my new favorite beer. I love Galaxy hopped beer and this on tested so fresh. I drove all over town searching for more but could not find any. I am waiting until next Fall to get more. This is a hop fruit forward beer with light malt and mild bitterness.

01-10-2013 00:44:23 | More by notalagerlugger
eddibilderback

Maryland

4.99/5  rDev +16.9%

There is nothing I don't like about this beer. It looks great, brightish orange with a white foamy head. The smell is insane, it's just bursting with fresh fruit aroma's laced with honey...or something out of this world smelling like that.

Taste - Perfect, I wish I could drink this beer every day. I had it last year and remembered liking it, but this years version seems a lot better. I hope they can replicate it next year, I really wish they sold this year round.

This is my first review, so I don't know a lot of technical terms or anything fancy. I'm a beer nerd, I have been for about 4-5 years now and all I can say is this beer is as good as any I've ever had. I put it up there with Lagunitas Sucks,Gandhi-Bot and Hopslam (when it was still good), and would even put this above one of my all time favorites Nugget Nectar. If you like your IPA's full of fruity juicy sweet delicious mellow nectar, that go down way too easy, you will love this beer. Buy it, smell it, drink it, love it!

*UPDATE - The batch that was brewed on 9/26 is representative of the review above. I got my hands on a case which was brewed on 10/11/13 about a week ago and man was I disappointed. In fact it was a soul crushing blow because this beer neither smelled or tasted anything like the one brewed on 9/26. I'm bummed because I gave Six Packs to a few beer loving buddies promising them the best beer they've ever had and it didn't come close. I've seen Hopslam change and get worse from year to year, but I've never seen this with the same years batch. I don't know if some got infected or what, but this beer isn't good in any way. How can you go from loving a beer so much one week, to literally dumping it the next. Something happened and it's a shame, because when properly brewed and bottled this is the best beer I've ever had.

11-01-2013 18:48:39 | More by eddibilderback
Hoptimus-Prime

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

Schlafly never fails to wow me with their "special release" beers!

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle to a pint glass, pours a clear golden orange with a half finger off white head, keeps a solid lacing throughout.

A fruity, hoppy aroma stands out that'll make any hop head like myself's mouth water in anticipation.

The taste is much of the same, hops up front followed by mango, peach and citrus. Finishes off with a light maltyness that balances well with the hops.
Mouth feel is slightly resiny /oily.

All and all this is an excellent beer that will be my choice session brew while it is available. Anyone that appreciates hops and a well balanced IPA would love it!

12-15-2012 20:34:51 | More by Hoptimus-Prime
Gladius270

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

A- Pale yellow with a nice, white head. Ring of foam remains throughout the drink, leaving behind white lacing throughout.

S- Sweet citrus, passion fruit, slight Simcoe-like cat box. Very faint toasted malts, and the faint smell of alcohol.

T- Very sweet passion fruit, and a huge range of citrus. I also catch a bit of a melon flavor in there. The bitterness is smooth and it hangs around. Slight boozy taste as it warms. The slight malt taste eventually starts to come through, but the hops are front and center.

M- Feels sticky and oily, coating the mouth. Feels great, and really enforces that sweet taste.

O- I am a huge fan of this brew from Schlafly. One of the best IPA's I've had to date, as the bitterness isn't oppressive and the hops taste absolutely fantastic. Well done, in my opinion.

11-10-2012 02:21:48 | More by Gladius270
taylor714914

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yes. Please. May I have some more?

What a superbly put together IPA.

The color is a gorgeous pale orange color. A nice tight head that remains well after the pour, clinging to the side of the glass as I drink down this delightful nectar.

Smells of hops, mango, pineapple, and a touch of resin.

Tastes like a tropical fruit salad mated with some fresh baked Hawaiian bread. This is the stuff legends are made of.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean, and perfectly carbonated.

Bring me more. this needs to be in every IPA fan's fridge.

10-17-2013 21:43:42 | More by taylor714914
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dude, this stuff is off the hook!

Served in a Schlafly tulip.

A: Poured about as clear as it can get, apricot in color, and with a soft, yet sticky, white head that clung to the glass.

S: Totally Galaxy, through and through. Reminded me of a saison I dry-hopped with Galaxy a couple of years ago, only much, much better. Fruity, hoppy, POW!!

T: Nice hop character, but this one is straight up Island of Hawaii stuff: Orange, mango, and pineapple. Love it!

M: The carbonation was perfect for the style, the beer was somewhat on the sweet side, but still not candy-like, and it was just a flat out drinkable brew any way you cut it.

O: I'm a big fan of Schlafly and of the man himself (so kind to us military folks). However, this one needs no fanboy-dom to find the awesomeness. Amazing!

11-15-2013 20:33:45 | More by Chaney
Trifecta1

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Wow is the best thing to say about this beer. Incredible, beautiful honey color. Smell is dank grass and grains. Taste is perfection. Juicy hops, full of fruit and grassy flavors that never overpower each other, sweet and grainy malty background with the tiniest of alcohol sweetness accents. Mouthfeel is great, but a little thin. Had this when it was 3 days old, so that didn't hurt it, but this is a knockout for Schlafly, well done.

10-29-2013 21:44:43 | More by Trifecta1