2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Availability: Fall

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

(Beer added by: Megahertz on 10-12-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
Ratings: 836 | Reviews: 168 | Show All Ratings:
Zraly

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a DFH IPA glass. Clear gold with a beautiful white head. Not the first time I've had this and each time I pour, I'm very impressed with the appearance and the gorgeous nose. Tons of tropical fruit notes waft in a very seductive way.

Really tasty pineapple and mango hop notes; Galaxy hops are a wonderful thing. Clean bitterness on the finish. Medium-bodied and nothing too complicated by the way of malt bill. Likely a simple two row pale malt; so light I don't think there is much else to it! I declare this is a likely a SMaSH beer and a mighty fine one at that. Something to be said about one malt, one hop.

Sexy-ass IPA, all the way. Delicious and good for the soul.

11-26-2013 21:45:38 | More by Zraly
TwelveOunces

Kentucky

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

12 Oz bottle poured into a tulip
Bottled 11-14-12 (6 days young)

A- This beer pours a clear golden straw yellow with a two finger white head.

S- A massive nose on this beer. It starts off sugary sweet and the hop profile just takes over. A ton of orange and lemon and pineapple. One of the most citrusy smelling beers out there.

T- Sugary sweetness up front. The mats comethrough as a light caramel and very breaddy. The malts perfectly balance the hop bitterness and really help add another element to the beer as well as compliment the hop profile. The hops are crazy in this beer. There is an absolutely massive amount of citrus. This beer tastes like a tropical fruit buffet. The hops are also very floral and a remind you your not drinking a fruit beer.

M- This is a perfectly balanced beer. Sweetness and bitterness balance out to a clean finish and a hoppy aftertaste. Drinkable but still sizable for 7.2%

O- Absolutely awesome IPA. It definitantly helps out that my bottle is extremely fresh. This beer has a different and refreshing hop flavor and is perfectly balanced by the malts. Check it out if you can get it.

11-21-2012 02:22:27 | More by TwelveOunces
Tsar_Riga

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - A very light orange, yellowish color, pretty clear, with a small head that produces minor lacing.

S - I really love the fruit smell coming off this one, with a slight hint of other hop notes, such as pine and grass.

T - A subtle grapefruit flavor is out front, with mango and pineapple forming a central base, and some lemon and zest for good measure. Some sweetness balancing off the bitter notes. Delicious.

M - Clean and crisp, with very little drying.

O - A great beer experience, and one I'd sign up for again. No sign of the alcohol when drinking this one, and it is very drinkable, so be sure to pace yourself. If you like your IPA to have strong fruit without being a bomb, this is an excellent example.

01-25-2014 03:27:37 | More by Tsar_Riga
Mrprescott

Kentucky

4.61/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A sweeter IPA with tangerine nose and flavor. Outstanding. Had so much of it, I'm starting to burn out on it. It's a litte sweet. Light slightly cloudy. Excellent on tap and almost as good in the bottle. 95 is an accurate rating. Has a thick head for a lighter colored beer. Very drinkable. Not as shandy as the Founders All Day IPA, which has more of a grapefruit flavor. Clearly one of my favorite beers.

01-11-2014 22:40:39 | More by Mrprescott
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

Pours a very clear and pale golden yellow with some mild copper hues. There is a nice 1.25 inch head that is white and very dense. There are some medium to smaller sized bubbles intermingled with the real dense foam. Retention is excellent. The head last forever and recedes very slowly while leaving some lacing.

Aroma to this brew is perfection. Citrusy notes with some tangerine, orange peel and slight grapefruit notes. Those citrus notes are well complimented by some nice tropical fruit notes. There are peach notes and some papaya as well as mango. Nose is awesome.

The flavor follows nose and is very nearly perfect. Tropical notes start things off with some nice papaya and peach. There is also some good citrusy notes that aren't too intense but perfectly balanced with some slight crystal malt sweetness. Some bready notes are present as well as some grassy and slightly piney notes. Mouthfeel is perfect. SMooth and crisp at the same time. Very clean with a nice slightly piney and dry finish.

A true winner by Schlafly. One of their best efforts to date. Great balance of hop and malts and great shinning hop presence. A hop lovers dream with a hidden 7.2% kick.

12-18-2012 01:15:33 | More by JoEBoBpr
1Adam12

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden orange. Nice 2 inch head. Fantastic hoppy citrusy smell. Loads of orange and tangerine. The taste is incredible. Loads of citrus. Loads of hops. Mouthfeel is full, very carbonated. Overall, this is by far my favorite beer of 2012. I can drink this for breakfast every day. You must buy this beer. If you don't, you will regret it.

01-03-2013 05:54:32 | More by 1Adam12
EmmaLo

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a deep gold with a decent white head. Decent lacings.

S - Tons of fruit, namely apricot, mango, and pineapple. Under it all, a touch of pine and herbs. The smallest amount of biscuity malt.

T - More tropical fruit, but with a stronger malt back bone. The hops go through all the way leaving a nice bitter finish, but not overly so.

M - medium body, moderate carbonation. Nice and crisp.

O - I love this beer. The Galaxy hops bring a lovely tropical and citrus flavor to one of my favorite styles. I wish I could find it on the east coast.

02-05-2014 22:02:54 | More by EmmaLo
ubenumber2

Arkansas

4.71/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12 oz bottle , bottled 3 months ago so I wasn't going to rate it but it was so good I thought I would

A very light yellow colored beer with a white 1 finger head and small amounts of lacing

Very sweet hoppy smell , floral and earthy and sweet

Very nice smooth mouthfeel to this brew , very enjoyable

Very nice tasting beer , the hops the malt and the yeast all come together very well , just a great example of an American IPA that is very balanced , will be purchasing this every year when it comes out

03-27-2013 20:04:18 | More by ubenumber2
onedogtwodog

Maryland

4.74/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

WOW!!! Boy now I wish I had gotten more than a case of this gem... Hazy bright gold color, citrusy almost floral nose, a great summer refresher, and its only the middle of May... Great pairing with my BBQ a great counterpoint to the spicy/smokiness of the pulled pork... This one is a drinker, get it while you can... and send a couple my way...

10-27-2012 11:00:26 | More by onedogtwodog
Navalartichoke

4.74/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Acutally the first time I had this beer was on tap at the Shirlington October fest. Since then I have had it from the bottle, poured into the Dogfish Head IPA glass

A - I was surprised how light it is, almost pilsner like, say Yellowihs. Left a nice ring on the glass

S - Lots of grapefruit and floral smells. Almost like an orchid or similar tropical sweet smelling flower

T -Mostly a grapefruit or citrus taste, and other tropical fruits, very little of the piney taste of some IPAs. A little bit sweetness helps to balance out the bitterness. but the bitterness is not lingering, a very pleasant finish. ... Loved the taste, reminded me of some other great 'hop bomb' beers, such as Hopslam!

M - Nice amount of carbonation, refreshing

Overall this is one of my favorite IPA's, I like it as much as Hopslam or Lagunitas Sucks

11-10-2013 00:37:33 | More by Navalartichoke
Trifecta1

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Wow is the best thing to say about this beer. Incredible, beautiful honey color. Smell is dank grass and grains. Taste is perfection. Juicy hops, full of fruit and grassy flavors that never overpower each other, sweet and grainy malty background with the tiniest of alcohol sweetness accents. Mouthfeel is great, but a little thin. Had this when it was 3 days old, so that didn't hurt it, but this is a knockout for Schlafly, well done.

10-29-2013 21:44:43 | More by Trifecta1
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dude, this stuff is off the hook!

Served in a Schlafly tulip.

A: Poured about as clear as it can get, apricot in color, and with a soft, yet sticky, white head that clung to the glass.

S: Totally Galaxy, through and through. Reminded me of a saison I dry-hopped with Galaxy a couple of years ago, only much, much better. Fruity, hoppy, POW!!

T: Nice hop character, but this one is straight up Island of Hawaii stuff: Orange, mango, and pineapple. Love it!

M: The carbonation was perfect for the style, the beer was somewhat on the sweet side, but still not candy-like, and it was just a flat out drinkable brew any way you cut it.

O: I'm a big fan of Schlafly and of the man himself (so kind to us military folks). However, this one needs no fanboy-dom to find the awesomeness. Amazing!

11-15-2013 20:33:45 | More by Chaney
taylor714914

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yes. Please. May I have some more?

What a superbly put together IPA.

The color is a gorgeous pale orange color. A nice tight head that remains well after the pour, clinging to the side of the glass as I drink down this delightful nectar.

Smells of hops, mango, pineapple, and a touch of resin.

Tastes like a tropical fruit salad mated with some fresh baked Hawaiian bread. This is the stuff legends are made of.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean, and perfectly carbonated.

Bring me more. this needs to be in every IPA fan's fridge.

10-17-2013 21:43:42 | More by taylor714914
Gladius270

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

A- Pale yellow with a nice, white head. Ring of foam remains throughout the drink, leaving behind white lacing throughout.

S- Sweet citrus, passion fruit, slight Simcoe-like cat box. Very faint toasted malts, and the faint smell of alcohol.

T- Very sweet passion fruit, and a huge range of citrus. I also catch a bit of a melon flavor in there. The bitterness is smooth and it hangs around. Slight boozy taste as it warms. The slight malt taste eventually starts to come through, but the hops are front and center.

M- Feels sticky and oily, coating the mouth. Feels great, and really enforces that sweet taste.

O- I am a huge fan of this brew from Schlafly. One of the best IPA's I've had to date, as the bitterness isn't oppressive and the hops taste absolutely fantastic. Well done, in my opinion.

11-10-2012 02:21:48 | More by Gladius270
Hoptimus-Prime

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

Schlafly never fails to wow me with their "special release" beers!

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle to a pint glass, pours a clear golden orange with a half finger off white head, keeps a solid lacing throughout.

A fruity, hoppy aroma stands out that'll make any hop head like myself's mouth water in anticipation.

The taste is much of the same, hops up front followed by mango, peach and citrus. Finishes off with a light maltyness that balances well with the hops.
Mouth feel is slightly resiny /oily.

All and all this is an excellent beer that will be my choice session brew while it is available. Anyone that appreciates hops and a well balanced IPA would love it!

12-15-2012 20:34:51 | More by Hoptimus-Prime
notalagerlugger

4.99/5  rDev +16.9%

This is my new favorite beer. I love Galaxy hopped beer and this on tested so fresh. I drove all over town searching for more but could not find any. I am waiting until next Fall to get more. This is a hop fruit forward beer with light malt and mild bitterness.

01-10-2013 00:44:23 | More by notalagerlugger
eddibilderback

Maryland

4.99/5  rDev +16.9%

There is nothing I don't like about this beer. It looks great, brightish orange with a white foamy head. The smell is insane, it's just bursting with fresh fruit aroma's laced with honey...or something out of this world smelling like that.

Taste - Perfect, I wish I could drink this beer every day. I had it last year and remembered liking it, but this years version seems a lot better. I hope they can replicate it next year, I really wish they sold this year round.

This is my first review, so I don't know a lot of technical terms or anything fancy. I'm a beer nerd, I have been for about 4-5 years now and all I can say is this beer is as good as any I've ever had. I put it up there with Lagunitas Sucks,Gandhi-Bot and Hopslam (when it was still good), and would even put this above one of my all time favorites Nugget Nectar. If you like your IPA's full of fruity juicy sweet delicious mellow nectar, that go down way too easy, you will love this beer. Buy it, smell it, drink it, love it!

*UPDATE - The batch that was brewed on 9/26 is representative of the review above. I got my hands on a case which was brewed on 10/11/13 about a week ago and man was I disappointed. In fact it was a soul crushing blow because this beer neither smelled or tasted anything like the one brewed on 9/26. I'm bummed because I gave Six Packs to a few beer loving buddies promising them the best beer they've ever had and it didn't come close. I've seen Hopslam change and get worse from year to year, but I've never seen this with the same years batch. I don't know if some got infected or what, but this beer isn't good in any way. How can you go from loving a beer so much one week, to literally dumping it the next. Something happened and it's a shame, because when properly brewed and bottled this is the best beer I've ever had.

11-01-2013 18:48:39 | More by eddibilderback
GameFreac

Georgia

Heard great things about this beer so I searched till I finally found a store in Nashville that had a 6 pack.

Appearance: Pours a nice yellowish with tints of orange with a finger of a white head. It's definitely filtered and you can see through it. It's pretty clear.

Smell: Smells wonderful. Sweet hops, tropical fruits, citrus, orange.

Taste - Taste is amazing. Sweet upfront mixed with a slight bitterness, then tropical fruits and a bready/malty taste at the end.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is light to medium. Super drinkable. Would never know this was 7%.

Overall: One of my favorite IPAs ever. So good. I'm always looking for beers similar to Lagunitas Sucks and this isn't as good but along the same lines. Very tropical fruit-y, which I love.

12-01-2012 17:19:21 | More by GameFreac