Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Megahertz on 10-12-2012

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

Reviews: 214 | Hads: 1,385
4.85/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Notes from glass had from tap six months ago at Mekong in Richmond.

A sterling example of hoppy but not bitter. My friend, who usually steers clear of IPAs, and I, a hophead, enjoyed this one equally.

Reminiscent of Stone Enjoy By but zeroes in more on the pineapple, with notes of lemon and wheatgrass.

Had never heard of the brewery or beer. A very pleasant surprise. Yum yum yum. (386 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I'm definitely not an IPA lover, but I absolutely loved this. Bartender at the tap room let me try it when I told him I didn't like IPA. Then he had a good laugh when I told him to pour me one. Outstanding! (206 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours light golden. Aromas of citrus, with subtle pine. Taste is good balance of malt and hops. 7% ABV not noticeable. Carbonation just right. Highly drinkable. Finish is subtle, grapefruit notes but not overly bitter. Great IPA to kick off the summer. (260 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

Pour is a transparent pale golden color with a tight white head and big lacing. Nose is a good bit of mango with hits of caramel malts and a touch of grain presence. Taste is a bit less hop forward and has a touch of a metallic twang in the finish. Malts are up front, less grain, almost husky, and a bit messier. Still tropical fruit hops with a fair bit of bitterness in the aggressively carbonated finish. (412 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured on draft

Appearance: golden color translucent. Some visible carbonation. 1 finger white head. Lots of lacing

Aroma: orange, fresh cut grass, grapfruit. Candied grapefruit very citrusy

Taste: lots of grapefruit and candied orange some lemon and lemon peel. Little bit of booziness

Mouthfeel: medium bodied nice.carbonation pretty bright.

Overall: very solid ipa super easy to drink (395 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A: A nice orange color, but nothin prominent, definitely transparent, a nice finger of off white head at the top and a nice lacing around the glass.

S: A great nose on this brew, pineapple, mango, apricot, some lemon and orange, the nose was really nice and subtle on this one.

T: Almost excatly like the nose with some malt backbone to balance it off, nice and sweet but nothing over the top great flavors throuhgout.

M: A good amount of carbonation, medium bodie and somewhat sticky.

O: A fantastic beer, Loved all the flavors on this one and the super well balanced of it as well, drinking this was like biting into a tropical starburst, super good. (660 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a dark straw color with a two finger white head. Aroma is citrus fruit with orange and sweet melon. Taste follows the nose with a bitterness to balance the sweet fruit. Mouthfeel is medium. Overall a nice ipa from a sometimes underrated brewery. (255 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a nice head out of bottle. A nice fruity ipa, little citrus, very smooth tasting compared to other IPAs. Need to have this out of tap! Damn good! (154 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Top class ipa. Pineapple citrus flavors are delicious and balanced out so perfectly by a nice earthy hop finish. Glad I made the trip to pick up a sixer, just wish I got way more (178 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -7.3%

Had my first one at World of Beer (bottle). And liked it. Picked up a 6er at my local liquor store. Pours a slightly hazy straw color. Nice frothy head. Big citrusy aroma. Big citrusy taste! Decent amount of lacing in my tulip. Wow, I'm impressed, not your average IPA. Nice bitter edge on it as well. This is a pleasant surprise. Very drinkable! The way I see it...if I'm eager to drink another...its a keeper. (419 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

This is my favorite beer from the schlafly family to date. Pours a milky light golden hue with heavy frothy head. Notes of light hops and heavy citrus on the nose. The beer is smooth on the palate, balanced with citrus, light hop and some earth. I would have desired a stronger hop bite especially on the finish. A solid keeper (332 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy golden yellow with an inch or so of thin head that dissipates rather quick. Taste is pleasant and citrusy with less bitterness than expected. Overall very good and probably slightly superior to Sierra Nevada's Boomerang IPA, which uses the same Australian hops (although Boomerang is still pretty darn good). (323 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

At first pour this was a cloudy gold rapidly forming inch and a half head of white aromatic foaminess. My first impression was heavily floral and grapefruit like but upon further review its more pineapple and grapefruit. Taste is citrusy with bitters but not as bitter as I would have expected from the aroma. Mouth feel is carbonated but far smoother than I expected. (373 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden pour with a bit of an orange tinge. Finger's-worth of soapy, off-white, quickly-dissipating head.

S: Beautiful. Extremely citrus and fruity: Pineapple, mango, apricot

T: Bright and strong carbonation. Fairly malty, followed by a wonderful, juicy burst of pineapple and mango, ending with slightly bitter apricot and a touch of hop bitterness to dry it up. Much more fruit than bitterness.

M: Prominent carbonation and a smooth, malty backbone. Sticky fruit.

O: Easily one of my favorites of the style, although it leans a bit more toward the malty/fruity side. Incredible blast of fruit. Long live the Galaxy! This is one of the best things about coming back to the Midwest. (691 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A buddy of mine got me their coffee stout fresh from the brewery in St. Louis this weekend, and I've tried their Americsn IPA Always impressed. Needless to say, each new one I have the pleasure of trying makes these guys earn my respect as a casual beer Connoisseur.

This beer is excellent if you're looking for something that offers powerful hoppy taste, pine, grapefruitish aroma, and drinkability (I mean almost dangerously drinkable). This would pair great with a BBQ on a nice summers eve. Mouthfeel is soft I guess you could say? Not overwhelming at all honestly perfect. She has a pineapple taste upfront imo. Very hopping, I mean wow. Loved it. Would do it all again. Unique take of an ipa from what I've previoust tried. I strongly recommend if you have the option. (775 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -3.7%

This is a completely clear, golden brew. The head is white and frothy, tall, and lasting. Fresh hop smell...pine, wood, wine-casks, and a distant malt. Flavorful. Hops, bitterness and great balance. Not much warming for the ABV. The body is full and firm. Nice, clean, and very, very hoppy. Great brew. (311 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into nonic glass from 12 oz bottle. Pale golden hazy appearance w/pure white 1/2" head which lasted to the last drop. Nice lacing on glass. Very skunky grapefruit/citrus aroma and flavor which is nicely balanced by the malt. Medium body, just the right amount of carbonation. Excellent IPA. Well done St Louis Brewery! (326 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours hazed golden yellow with a thin head that settles and stays. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of citrus - grapefruit and orange/tangerine.

The taste is of juicy grapefruit backed by a cracker-like bread. Bitter bite in the finish. Alcohol is very well-covered.

It has a firm medium body, that could be chewier, but I'm more than satisfied with it.

A juicy, citric, well-hopped IPA! (387 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -59.7%

The smell is mildew. The taste wasnt the worst, but if you have a working nose, I doubt you can drink this unless you like cleaning basements. And drinking the remnants (168 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +15.7%

This is the kind of IPA that many breweries would sell as a $10-$13 4-pack or $9 bomber. Instead, Schlafly packages this as a regular (though "limited edition") 6-pack, for a more-than-reasonable $10.99. In 12 years of beer nerdom, I cannot say I've seen a better value. This is like getting a brand new Stingray for the price of a 2-year-old, six-cylinder Camaro. One of the breweries (and beers) that makes it good to live in this part of the country. (456 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Schlafly "Tasmanian IPA"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, "Bottled with love on 10/06/2014 08:40"
$2.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

I'd argue against the name of this beer as using hops grown in Tasmania hardly makes it a "Tasmanian Style India Pale Ale" but that seems pointless.

The first thing I found interesting about this beer is that it seems unfiltered, and displays a cloudy body dense with suspended particulate. Normally that would be a defect but I'm assuming in this case that it's due to an enormous amount of dry-hopping in the fermentor or bright tank. The thin white head drops readily but it leaves some fairly impressive lacing behind on the glass.

The aroma would certainly indicate dry-hoping as it's bold and bright. Unfortunately I find quite a bit of musty-book and cat piss aroma amidst the citrusy hops. I can't decide if I like it or not, but it smells like a basement and that somehow just doesn't seem right in my mind. I've had beers made with Galaxy hops before but never found them to be so musty/funky smelling.

The flavor smooths things over, eliminating the mustiness, although there is a bit of earthiness to it. It's got a full maltiness that's bready and lightly toasty; full but not sweet. The hops are threaded through well, and you get for the most part one united flavor as opposed to finding malt, then fruitiness, then hops, or whatever. There is what I perceive as yeasty fruitiness, delivering apple and red berries, although that could be coming from the hops as well as there is a distinct peach component to it. The other flavors that I attribute to the hops include citrus pith, pineapple, orange, resin, and perhaps mango and/or papaya. It's solidly bitter, but doesn't step beyond the bounds of what the malt can handle.

Just based on it's uniqueness I'd have to recommend it but I feel it goes well beyond that, delivering a compelling, satisfying IPA that could easily be enjoyed beyond one serving. (1,964 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden orange with a thick white head and tons of chunky lacing. Sweet citrus aroma fills the nose, light cracker notes from the malt let the hops just shine. Initial light cracker followed by a blitz of citrus hop flavor that finishes slightly bitter. Taste starts off orange citrus and sweet and finishes grapefruit and bitter. Mouthfeel is light end of medium body with nice carbonation and a dry finish. This is an outstanding IPA with great citrus flavor that I will look forward to every year. (509 characters)

A- Light gold, very effervescent. Looks kind of hazy, but that might just be lots of little bubbles. There’s a thin head that leaves a fair amount of lace along the sides of the glass as it dissipates.

S- Very citrusy, like orange and grapefruit juice. There’s maybe a little bit of a grassy or herbal note in there as well.

T- Just a hint of sweetness before the hops take over. They have a juicy citrus quality that definitely brings to mind orange juice but without the sweetness. Bitterness is pronounced, but pleasant. There’s a hint of alcohol on the finish, but it’s not strong.

M- Fairly light with pleasant carbonation. Exceedingly drinkable. It drinks like a much lower ABV beer.

The description of this beer promises something much different than a traditional IPA. I don’t know that it really delivers on that, but this is still a very solid beer. I love citrusy IPAs and this one is certainly quite citrusy, so I’m in. I can’t help but recommend this. (993 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy yellow with a strong orange tinge. Little lacing which dissipates quickly. Prevelant lacing for the lack of head.

Scent is tangerines, grass and gasoline.

Flavor is much the same. Yet it works more. Hops are just prevalent enough.

Mouthfeel is almost perfect. Just enough sweetness. The mouthfeel really makes this.

I dont know why these hops always taste llikegas to me. Luckily I'm getting used to it, as I like this one. Very balanced. (455 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Was given two of these from a friend recently and finally got around to having one yesterday during the late NFL games. I wasn't sure what to expect of this and like others on here, I don't know my hops that well. Thankfully, a few have pointed out on here that this did indeed contain Galaxy hops, which were so pleasing to enjoy from start to finish. This was unlike any IPA that I've ever had and one of the smoothest hoppy beers that I've enjoyed in quite some time!

Nice golden pour to this, with a moderate head and hardly any carbonation to be seen. Just a bit of lacing on my glass but nothing clingy or lacy to note. A subtle but strong grapefruit hop presence was this beer's hallmark and it was something to behold from start to finish. Some pine and floral notes and a lightness that bordered on champagne accompanied both the taste and light appearance of this brew. Strong in alcohol, I couldn't detect it at all except for a faint warming by the time I polished this off, which didn't take long.

Very light and dry, this would be great in the summer instead of reaching for a hop bomb. There wasn't much of any malt here and the mouthfeel didn't contain any waxy resin or oily undertone that this style has come to be known for. While this won't satisfy hopheads, there's a lot to like here and this is about as unoffensive an IPA as one could find on any store shelf. I loved this and if I can still find it for sale, I'll grab another to get me through the winter as a reminder of what the warmer months have in store. Nice job by Schlafly! (1,560 characters)

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) from The Schlafly Tap Room