Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Megahertz on 10-12-2012

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,344 | Reviews: 224

4.29/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A medium golden color. Light head retention.

S very floral. Hint of oak or leather. Fruity. Lightly Piney. Hops are amazing.

T delicious. Refreshing. Dont want to put the glass down. I could slam these repeatedly. I would like to have this in the early spring as well.

M not heavy at all. Refreshing. Crisp yet refined. Not a palate killer.

O for $12 a six pack i would buy it again. This would be a great beer to have around a fire when you get in from the slopes. I woild pair it with some good mexican food or indian or meditwrranean food. Delicious is all i can say. The hops are nice.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

I have heard so much about this as the cream of the local seasonals etc. Well, it does not disappoint.

Just looking at it in the glass, I was wary. Extremely pale, light straw, urine, apple juice, however you want to describe it, it is seriously light and translucent. There IS however a nice fluffy white head sitting on top that shrinks down, but still leaves little remnants of itself all over the edges, like finding clothes strewn about long after ___ has left.

Smelling this one brings together a lot of my preferred IPA characteristics. Juicy tropical citrus fruits, some solid round caramel malt backbone... now I'm getting more excited.

Then it hits your tongue.
That caramel smoothe sweetness has decided it's had enough of this party and split, and what we're left with is aggressive tropical and citrus hops. Fruity mango, tangerine, pineapple with a spicy/bitter rind/grapefruit and just a touch of coniferous hints to satiate this northwesterner... This lives up to the hype in my opinion. While this is decidedly a hopthusiasts oneirological canvas, it is crisp and smoothe on the finish, with juuust a hint of honey/caramel/can't quite put my finger on it sweet to balance things out and leave you loving life and craving more. This beer has earned the praise it has received, and I'm already lamenting the fact that I'll probably never see it again after this season (I am not staying in the midwest)

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-clear golden color with a nice white head and good lacing

S-tropical fruit, citrus, malt, pine, grass

T-grainy malt, pineapple, orange, grapefruit, grass, pine, bread dough, moderate bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp and clean

O-very nice IPA, love the Galaxy hop so not surprised here, enjoyable and easy drinking

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured a golden orange with two finger head that died quick and left lace. Solid IPA aroma of floral hops, possible grapefruit although I mostly get citrus, some possible caramel and bread malts in there. I have noticed with these "young" IPAs that the hops seem to be a little more assertive and that is true with this one, as the floral, citric notes, are really strong (again, possibly some grapefruit tastes). Good balance, though, as I get some sweetness from caramel and a little fuller body from bread malts. Finish is strong and sharp due to lively carbonation and overall a really good beer. If this is the new trend (or one of) in terms of IPAs, drinking as young as possible, then this is one trend I can get behind.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Pours a really nice clear gold color with about a finger of soapy white head, medium lacing around the side.
S - Lots of pine and citrus, then you get some pineapple with some mild pale malt and a hint of rye, and slightly grassy.
T - Big fruit flavors, tangerine, orange, a touch of white grape, some pineapple, a really mild pale malt to bring it all together, some pine bitterness on the end.
M - Very dry, but still crisp and not overpowering.
O - Outstaing IPA, glad I could finally have this after hearing so much about it. The taste on this has a ton of flavor, and to think its single hopped with galaxy makes it that much better.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.99/5  rDev +16.9%

There is nothing I don't like about this beer. It looks great, brightish orange with a white foamy head. The smell is insane, it's just bursting with fresh fruit aroma's laced with honey...or something out of this world smelling like that.

Taste - Perfect, I wish I could drink this beer every day. I had it last year and remembered liking it, but this years version seems a lot better. I hope they can replicate it next year, I really wish they sold this year round.

This is my first review, so I don't know a lot of technical terms or anything fancy. I'm a beer nerd, I have been for about 4-5 years now and all I can say is this beer is as good as any I've ever had. I put it up there with Lagunitas Sucks,Gandhi-Bot and Hopslam (when it was still good), and would even put this above one of my all time favorites Nugget Nectar. If you like your IPA's full of fruity juicy sweet delicious mellow nectar, that go down way too easy, you will love this beer. Buy it, smell it, drink it, love it!

*UPDATE - The batch that was brewed on 9/26 is representative of the review above. I got my hands on a case which was brewed on 10/11/13 about a week ago and man was I disappointed. In fact it was a soul crushing blow because this beer neither smelled or tasted anything like the one brewed on 9/26. I'm bummed because I gave Six Packs to a few beer loving buddies promising them the best beer they've ever had and it didn't come close. I've seen Hopslam change and get worse from year to year, but I've never seen this with the same years batch. I don't know if some got infected or what, but this beer isn't good in any way. How can you go from loving a beer so much one week, to literally dumping it the next. Something happened and it's a shame, because when properly brewed and bottled this is the best beer I've ever had.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) from The Schlafly Tap Room