Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Availability: Fall

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

(Beer added by: Megahertz on 10-12-2012)

nmann08, Jan 18, 2013
4.49/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

S: Huge passionfruit, lychee, some dankness, very sweet smelling

L: Slightly hazy golden yellow, creamy white head with decent retention.

T: Passionfruit sweetness up front with a clean maltiness. Medium high, fruity bitterness leading to a fruity resinous. Malt provides support and slight sweetness in the background. Finishes semi-dry with hop bitterness and slight passionfruit.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, refreshing.

Just a complete passionfruit bomb without being overwhelming. It's amazing such a simple single malt, single hop beer could be this flavorful. One of the best IPA's i've had in a while and great showcase for galaxy hops.

bum732, Jan 18, 2013
4.31/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottles 10/8/12 poured into Founders Bolt Cutter glass
Thanks to tut2528 for this one

Pour: A light orange-lemon color with 2 fingers of bright white head. The head consisted of small tight white bubbles with good lacing and retention. This beer upon pouring and standing for a few minutes remains cloudy .

Smell: Citrus and tropical are the dominant player in the aroma with orange, tangerine, pineapple and grapefruit. Some grass notes in there too but second to the citrus.

Taste: Quite bitter at first but also the citrus and tropical notes are at the front. Pineapple and grapefruit dominate with some orange playing a supporting role. Lemon is also noted along with some mild maltiness in the form of slight cracker and bread.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with mild carbonation. Actually pretty creamy/oily but with a dry finish to it.

Overall: Though I tend to enjoy the DIPA over IPA style, this is a very enjoyable tropical citrus bomb. Just the right amount of hop bitterness with tropical infusion creates an awesome highly drinkable IPA.

Must also mention that the lacing is something to behold as I drink this beer.

sleuthdog, Jan 18, 2013

guillemiro, Jan 18, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -18%

Thorpe429, Jan 17, 2013

mojiboo02, Jan 17, 2013

fredmugs, Jan 17, 2013
3.31/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a balloon glass.

The beer almost reminds me of white grape juice in color with a light cream colored head that leaves light lacing.

The beer smells hoppy, but also sour, with a presence of a cat litter kind of aroma. Also some booze on the back end.

The taste profile begins very, very sour. Grapefruit rinds and a spiciness that give way to bitter, bitter finish.

The mouthfeel is very dry.

Overall, the cat litter aroma and sourness are a bit too much. I like the spicy component, though.

JuicesFlowing, Jan 17, 2013

ThatCracker, Jan 17, 2013

Stoshua, Jan 17, 2013

dt_gbpackersfan, Jan 16, 2013
4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

From: Binny's, Champaign, IL
Date: Bottled 11/29/2012
Glass: Tulip

Zounds. This IPA is so hop-delicious that I feel it's comparable to Zombie Dust (and yes, I know that is an "APA") in terms of intensity of taste and smell, but using an obviously different hop combination. The hop aromas and flavors are intense, but the malts still manage to peek through at times, which while not balanced, still says, "hey, we tried." For $11 a six-pack using an export hop, this also hits the price satisfaction point. One I'd get again without question, and am considering going back to my local store to snag the last sixer before someone else does (but I'm not that big of a jerk).

Pours a 2.5cm tall head of slightly off-white foam that has above average retention. The head gradually recedes to a thin cap of lace atop the body, thicker about the edges. Every inch of the glass is just coated with fine lacing, either an unbroken sheet or a complex mix of bizarre symbols and patterns. The body is a pale yellow-gold color, with light bringing out pale yellow hues. At about 75% opaque, the carbonation is still visible and appears fairly vigorous.

Aroma of passion fruit, tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, peach juice, apricot, mild bitterness, and slight body odor (like a freshly sweaty, hopped armpit), on top of a backdrop of crackery, slightly sweet pale malts.

Front palate detects sweet fruit esters (pineapple, passion fruit, orange) contributed by the hops and yeast, with a background of cracker-like malt sweetness. Mid-palate is fruity with citrus (orange, grapefruit), stone (peach, apricot) and tropical (pineapple, passion fruit, mango) being the major factors, but there's also some moderate bitterness coming through as well. Back of palate picks up hop bitterness along with grapefruit, orange, pineapple, and passion fruit. Aftertaste of mild grain, slight biscuit, lingering bitterness and strong citrus (orange, grapefruit).

Beer is medium to medium-light in weight with carbonation of medium intensity, resulting in a beer with a slightly fizzy, then foamy mouthfeel. Somehow manages to avoid ever coming across as watery, closing with a flash of bitterness that reveals a semi-dry close, probably due to all the hop resins.

falloutsnow, Jan 15, 2013

whendeathsleeps, Jan 13, 2013

ChrisKayler, Jan 13, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy straw color with quite a bit of carbonation. About 3/4" of eggshell white head forms, which has good retention and lacing. Pretty good looking IPA.

Smell: I get some pale malt character initially, followed by a ton of dankness. Some tropical fruit comes through, but it really turns oniony for me. The dankness on the nose is definitely overdone for me.

Taste: Some pale malt sweetness starts out, followed by loads of hop flavor. Tropical fruit, and dankness follows. The finish is very dank with a bit of onion. Little to no bitterness. Fortunately the onion is not as strong in the flavor as it is in the smell, although I do pick a bit up.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light to medium mouthfeel with ample carbonation. Very nice. Overall, I thought this was pretty good. If the hop flavor was refined a bit, this could turn into something special, as I really enjoy a dank, fruity IPA. I had heard some great things about this beer and while I enjoyed it, I came away slightly underwhelmed. I definitely plan to revisit this as soon as I can though, and will re-review if I have a different take.

zhanson88, Jan 13, 2013

Boone757, Jan 12, 2013

dbfp210, Jan 11, 2013
4.11/5  rDev -3.7%

A nice golden orange pour with a sweet citrus hoppy smell.

Good change for an IPA. There is a big citrus taste with some fruit seetness that come out and overshadow the hops which kick in more at the end to give a bitter crispness. While not not breaking into my top 5 IPA's this one is high up the list. Not exactly a fair competition due to it's uniqueness. I just wish this beer came out in spring or summer.

Archimedes, Jan 11, 2013
4.46/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes. Bottled on 11/26/12, consumed on 12/15/12 - so this one was seriously fresh.

A: Poured into a Stella Artois glass at my in-laws' place. Body is clear golden-orange with a small white head that left behind some splotches of lace.

S: Very nice - it's all about the hops: citrus (think grapefruit juice and orange peel) and pine resin.

T: Again, I wrote one word to start it out: "Hops." Grapefruit juice and apricot - reminds me of Sculpin in that way. Some sweet caramel malt underneath. Pine resin towards the end of the sip, then finishes with a dry bitterness.

M: Medium in heft, carbonation is good.

O: An excellent IPA. My brother-in-law brought this up with him from Baltimore; I wish I could get it in upstate NY, as I'd drink it regularly.

Kendo, Jan 11, 2013

jmccullough108, Jan 11, 2013

Lukafer, Jan 10, 2013

Archemedies, Jan 10, 2013
4.39/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bottle into a Deschutes pint glass.

Pours a super light, light orange with a small white head. It's almost the same color as the label! Head doesn't last long, but leaves some decent lacing. Surprisingly light colored for an IPA, but it's super tasty looking.

Smell is a puncher. Just wow. Galaxy hops will take the craft brewing world by storm by year's end. Lovely mango, tart, passion fruit and citrus smell. Very sweet, with minimal resiny quality.

Taste follows. Uber punch of the most flavorful hop on the planet, next to cascade. Lots of mango, citrus, melon, apple. Very juicy quality. The contribution the hops make to the othewise light beer are quite wonderful - one of the few beers I've ever had that the hops contributed to the drinkability of a brew. The hops make me want to drink more and more of this.

Overall a very stellar brew.

acelin, Jan 10, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As light an IPA as I can recall. This beer almost looks like a pils! Great carbonation and head formation. Thick lacing is left as it diminishes in the glass.

And wow! The aroma hits me while I’m pouring it. Definitely the most exciting new hop aroma I’ve come across in a long time. I’ve had beers with Galaxy hops before, but none have been this amped up. Huge fruity/citrus notes, as well as an odd almost sulfur-like smell, but it’s not off-putting, just different and hard to grasp. Great smell to this.

The aroma just gets me excited to drink this, and the flavor thankfully does not let me down. As I understand it, this beer is comprised one type of hop and one type of malt. If so, simplicity really works here. Very drinkable, yet this beer is all about showcasing this interesting hop cultivar. I get a lot of mango fruit flavor, but then the finish has this really odd sensation, where it’s not just bitter, but it’s almost a stinging and drying sensation. The only other time I’ve experienced that was with Zombie Dust, but that is a Citra hop beer. Malt is definitely second fiddle, but the light touch of honey sweetness provides a good, but small counterpoint. Body/mouthfeel are spot-on—no complaints there.

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA is one of those rare beers that really makes me sit up and pay attention and is what the American craft beer scene is all about. It’s a new and exciting take on an IPA. And by far the best beer I’ve ever had by Schlafly. It’s only mid-January, but I have a feeling I may consider this one of my top 5 beers of 2013.

JEdmund, Jan 10, 2013
4.99/5  rDev +16.9%

This is my new favorite beer. I love Galaxy hopped beer and this on tested so fresh. I drove all over town searching for more but could not find any. I am waiting until next Fall to get more. This is a hop fruit forward beer with light malt and mild bitterness.

notalagerlugger, Jan 10, 2013