Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Megahertz on 10-12-2012

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

Reviews: 214 | Hads: 1,385
4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottled Dec 13 2012. Served at around 40-45F.

Pours semi-hazy yellow/gold with a one finger white head that leaves lots of spots of lacing and maintains a very good cap.

Aroma is nice lemon citrus, pineapple, somewhat grassy and floral, biscuit, doughy malt. Very good strength.

Flavor is lemon citrus, pineapple, grassy, floral hops, grapefruit rind, tropical fruit, malt is light and unobtrusive, cracker, bread, biscuit. Minimal sweetness, very good bitterness, some alcohol on the finish. Very dry.

Mouthfeel is light/medium bodied, good carbonation.

Wow, this is some awesome stuff! Very hoppy, unbalanced, just the way I like it. Love pineapple in my IPAs and this delivers. Reminds me a bit of a baby Founders Double Trouble. (742 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

A single-hop IPA brewed with Galaxy hops. Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium snifter. The beer pours out a slightly hazy yellow-gold color with a fine white frothy head of about 2 fingers. If it was clearer, it would look like a pilsner. There is definitely citrus fruit on the nose. I get notes of lemon, pineapple, and a grassy, grainy note as well.

The beer has a light body and crisp, hop-forward flavor. There is little to no malt backbone here.. Bitter fruity flavors of lemon and grapefruit dominate the palate and carry through the finish, which is dry and rather well-sustained. The lack of sweetness and hoppy aggressiveness lends the beer a flowery dryness and a subtle grainy character. I don't mean this as a criticism, but it drinks more like a hopped-up American wheat beer than an American IPA.

Overall, a nice American IPA. Very tasty, citrusy, and hop-forward, but rather unbalanced and lacking in body. Nevertheless, I'm glad I bought a few bottles of this and will enjoy drinking it again. I think Schlafly should strongly consider making this a summer seasonal instead of a fall seasonal. The body and flavor profile of this beer would go great with the hot summer days. (1,198 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Had it earlier and having it now with all the time in the world. Bottle dated 12/13/2012, so it is still very fresh.

Appearance: Pours absolutely pale in color. Almost clear. some minor haze due to dry hopping. A good one finger thick head of off-white color that fades to a small thin layer that persists well. Excellent lacing that sticks really well. Some bubbles.

Aroma: All citrus, flowery and grassy aroma that stays well but keeps fading. When opening the bottle, a burst of flowery hop aroma enters the nose.

Flavor: Nice bitterness of galaxy hops upfront, good malt backbone and delicious bitter finish. Some raw mango touch, herbal and grassy. Front part of the nose is left with an altogether different sensation. Raging and numb at the same time. Nice flavor overall. No sweetness throughout. Somewhat oily feel. Aftertaste is full of bitterness that is nice and strong.

Mouth feel: Light to slightly medium feel. Moderate carbonation. Hope derived astringency. Nice, easy and smooth.

Good IPA overall. Nothing out of the box but worth trying nonetheless. It is fairly close to Zombie Dust, as someone said while giving it to me the first time.

Style Rate: 4.25
Personal Rate: 4.25 (1,202 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle chilled and poured into a pint glass. I couldn't find a freshness date on the bottle, but it definitely tasted very fresh.

Appearance: Pale yellow in color with a slight touch of haze toward the thicker end of the glass. Two finger creamy white head with really solid retention. A really nice lacing up and down the glass.

Aroma: Mango, passionfruit, and pineapple notes all burst upfront. Definitely more on the tropical than earthy / piney side. Very hop forward. Some light biscuit pale malt notes too.

Taste: Mango, pineapple and grapefruit notes dominate the taste as well. This is definitely a tropical fruit bomb. A bit more bitterness than in the arom as well. Some light honey and passionfruit as well. Really tasty, refreshing and drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and really easy to drink. Refreshing.

Overall, a really tasty, tropical fruit heavy IPA that really has a great hop profile. The malt backbone is light enough to let the hops really shine. Not the most complex profile, but really tasty and solidly executed. I really enjoyed this. (1,089 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet. Bottled 9/26/13, les than a month old.

Pours a superb slightly hazy golden body with a generous thick white head. Carbonation is slow and consistent. Head slowly dissipates to a covering by the ned of the drink. Lacing is fine and widespread.

Smell...aah, I know I'm going to enjoy this. Nose is initially predominantly Mango, but then citrus pokes through, mostly grapefruit.

Taste. Just outstanding. Kinda the opposite of the nose. Bitter hops and a strong grapefruit taste with a wash of the sweeter mango coming through. How'd they do that? Gotta seek out other beers with Tasmanian hops.

Mouth was a good medium, all kinds of sharpness exploding in the mouth.

Just an outstanding beer across the board. Hoping they distribute to PA at some point. (M-I-L lives a few miles from Maryland border.) First time I can recall buying a sixer of a beer I've never tried, and actually wishing I'd pulled the trigger on a case. Grab some, you won't be disappointed. (1,001 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a growler.

Pours a nice straw gold color. Kinda hazy. Big foamy, marshmallows head that hangs around. Great lacing.

Smell is of tropical fruit. Pineapple, mango, grapefruit are all present. Kind of a rich yeasty smell as well.

Taste is right upfront with tropical fruit. Pineapple, mango, with a slight grapefruit twang. Mellows into a slight hop bitterness that lingers a little bit. Not overly hoppy, but very light and refreshing.

Mouthfeel isn't too crisp, but is slightly creamy.

Great floral IPA. Very different with all the tropical flavors. (565 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Very bright orange that is almost yellow in color. Very clear and full of medium small carbonation bubbles that lead to a small one finger head of bright white color and semi creamy appearance. Lace is sticking for now.

Smell is quite bright and citrusy, some yellow grapefruit mixed with mild earth or yeasty, bready smells and some malt sweetness. None of the smells quite trump the other which is a good thing.

Taste is much like the smell but the sweet malt and musty yeast take drivers seat and shotgun. I do get some really puckering bitter taste like yellow and pink grapefruit mixed with blood orange, which on their own are great, but mixed with the malt bill and yeast strain I just don't get what I want out of this IPA.

Mouth is light and creamy. Carbonation is very nice with a full body. The finish is medium and long. Nice!

Overall I am such a West Coast IPA style lover so any IPA with too much malt and weird yeast just turns me off. I need to score as I see it but I could see many of the BA community disagreeing with me. Thanks to rpbuckeye for this extra. (1,116 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a translucent golden, straw-like, orange color with a finger head that dissipates slowly and leaves a blanket of lacing. Lots of carbonation coming off the glass. Smells of dank, grapefruit, passionfruit, tropical fruits, lots of floral. Not getting much malt presence. Very juicy aroma. Tastes a lot like it smells. Starts with passionfruit and juicy tropical fruits. Then a burst of bitterness comes through, along with a tiny bit of carmel from the malt to lightly balance the hops. The finish brings grapefruit rind, tangerines, more juicy tropical fruits like mango and guava, passionfruit, a slight grain note, and a carmel/honey presence to provide the perfect backbone to showcase the galaxy hops. An assertive bitterness lingers on the palate. Alcohol is nonexistent; would have never guessed it was 7.2%. Medium body. Crisp and refreshing with a creamy and oily mouthfeel. Wow, this an IPA worth seeking out. (924 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) is a delicious and very drinkable American IPA. It is clean and delicious!

A: Yellow colour and 5 mm head. Decent carbonation. 4.5

S: Strong delicious grassy hops. Some floral character too. 4.5

T: Dry and malty with grassy hops. Dry bitter finish. So very drinkable. 4.25

M: Not that foamy. 4

O: 4.5 (335 characters)

Been looking forward to this for a while now and picked up my first sixer today. Bottled on 10-8-2012, so less than two weeks old. Poured into a Duvel tulip and got a very light yellow body. Probably the lightest colored IPA I've ever had. A one-finger white head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving only spotty lacing.

Nice hop aroma, mostly citrus, but a little bit of floral and herbal notes as well. The herbal notes are earthy, and are backed up by a bit of sweet malt aroma.

The flavor follows the aroma and the hop notes pack a solid punch. Again, I don't recall ever having one with all Australian hops and the flavor is distinct.

Medium texture to the mouthfeel and a bit of oily hop texture as well. Big fan of Schlafly and this one does not disappoint - it's rock solid. Very drinkable with excellent hoppiness. Very happy to see a year-round IPA rotation coming out of Schlafly. (898 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

I have heard so much about this as the cream of the local seasonals etc. Well, it does not disappoint.

Just looking at it in the glass, I was wary. Extremely pale, light straw, urine, apple juice, however you want to describe it, it is seriously light and translucent. There IS however a nice fluffy white head sitting on top that shrinks down, but still leaves little remnants of itself all over the edges, like finding clothes strewn about long after ___ has left.

Smelling this one brings together a lot of my preferred IPA characteristics. Juicy tropical citrus fruits, some solid round caramel malt backbone... now I'm getting more excited.

Then it hits your tongue.
That caramel smoothe sweetness has decided it's had enough of this party and split, and what we're left with is aggressive tropical and citrus hops. Fruity mango, tangerine, pineapple with a spicy/bitter rind/grapefruit and just a touch of coniferous hints to satiate this northwesterner... This lives up to the hype in my opinion. While this is decidedly a hopthusiasts oneirological canvas, it is crisp and smoothe on the finish, with juuust a hint of honey/caramel/can't quite put my finger on it sweet to balance things out and leave you loving life and craving more. This beer has earned the praise it has received, and I'm already lamenting the fact that I'll probably never see it again after this season (I am not staying in the midwest) (1,422 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I must admit that Schlafly has not done a lot to impress me over the years. As a result, I passed by Tasmanian IPA when I saw it at the liquor store. Only when I had it at a brewfest was I impressed, and consequently bought a six pack. From one of those bottles, I write this review.

From the bottle into a pint glass, the beer was a light straw color with a white head. It demonstrated generalized lacing and retention on the sides of the glass. The aroma was a combination of citrus and peach skin. The aroma was not overpowering, but well-balanced. In the initial taste, one detects peach, pine, and a mild resin flavor. The malt backbone is well disguised but there is a generalized sweetness that compensates for a lack of maltiness. In the aftertaste, the peach and citrus continues, but the resin comes to the forefront making this one a little more bitter. The linger of the hop afterbite is a little suprising because the beer runs a little this. Easily, this is the best thing Schlafly makes and probably a top ten single IPA for me. (1,045 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Poured into a DFH IPA glass. Clear gold with a beautiful white head. Not the first time I've had this and each time I pour, I'm very impressed with the appearance and the gorgeous nose. Tons of tropical fruit notes waft in a very seductive way.

Really tasty pineapple and mango hop notes; Galaxy hops are a wonderful thing. Clean bitterness on the finish. Medium-bodied and nothing too complicated by the way of malt bill. Likely a simple two row pale malt; so light I don't think there is much else to it! I declare this is a likely a SMaSH beer and a mighty fine one at that. Something to be said about one malt, one hop.

Sexy-ass IPA, all the way. Delicious and good for the soul. (687 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy yellow with a strong orange tinge. Little lacing which dissipates quickly. Prevelant lacing for the lack of head.

Scent is tangerines, grass and gasoline.

Flavor is much the same. Yet it works more. Hops are just prevalent enough.

Mouthfeel is almost perfect. Just enough sweetness. The mouthfeel really makes this.

I dont know why these hops always taste llikegas to me. Luckily I'm getting used to it, as I like this one. Very balanced. (455 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy straw color with quite a bit of carbonation. About 3/4" of eggshell white head forms, which has good retention and lacing. Pretty good looking IPA.

Smell: I get some pale malt character initially, followed by a ton of dankness. Some tropical fruit comes through, but it really turns oniony for me. The dankness on the nose is definitely overdone for me.

Taste: Some pale malt sweetness starts out, followed by loads of hop flavor. Tropical fruit, and dankness follows. The finish is very dank with a bit of onion. Little to no bitterness. Fortunately the onion is not as strong in the flavor as it is in the smell, although I do pick a bit up.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light to medium mouthfeel with ample carbonation. Very nice. Overall, I thought this was pretty good. If the hop flavor was refined a bit, this could turn into something special, as I really enjoy a dank, fruity IPA. I had heard some great things about this beer and while I enjoyed it, I came away slightly underwhelmed. I definitely plan to revisit this as soon as I can though, and will re-review if I have a different take. (1,130 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - A very light orange, yellowish color, pretty clear, with a small head that produces minor lacing.

S - I really love the fruit smell coming off this one, with a slight hint of other hop notes, such as pine and grass.

T - A subtle grapefruit flavor is out front, with mango and pineapple forming a central base, and some lemon and zest for good measure. Some sweetness balancing off the bitter notes. Delicious.

M - Clean and crisp, with very little drying.

O - A great beer experience, and one I'd sign up for again. No sign of the alcohol when drinking this one, and it is very drinkable, so be sure to pace yourself. If you like your IPA to have strong fruit without being a bomb, this is an excellent example. (719 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours very yellow with a foamy white head. Kind of plain looking. The smell is a very fresh hoppy citrus nose. Very impressed with the smell. The taste is good but afraid not very memorable. It does have a very smooth feel and a fairly clean finish but the hoppy citrus taste fall just a bit short for me to be a top notch beer. Overall it's very drinkable and one that you can have a couple back to back. Nothing spectacular here but pretty enjoyable. (452 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

This Tasmanian IPA was had in a shaker pint.

Appearance- About a finger of white foam sitting on top of the glass, a little spot lace is on the glass too. The body is about as light lager looking as a beer could possibly be, a transparent yellow-gold with copious amounts of carbonation columns.

Smell- Man this IPA smells great! There is some tropical fruit hanging out, mixing with a spicy herbal scent. This combo is incredibly intoxicating, and I haven't even taken a drink yet. Oh yeah, the tropical fruit is more sweet, like star fruit and oranges. Only getting a 4 because it could be much stronger.

Taste- I'm already halfway through this bottle, quaff-able indeed. It has a lot of that herbal spice that was on the nose with more biscuit malt. The bitterness that sticks to the back of my mouth has a resin-y edge to it.

Tropical fruit is not as evident here. Maybe some orange and grapefruit in the finish, but not shining through like the spice. Still a great drink.

Mouth feel- The feel is completely appropriate but not overly interesting. It is slick and has enough stick to keep the flavor coming, but just barely has a medium body and no real heft.

Overall- I really enjoyed this beer! And at 7.2%, this beer could be down right dangerous. For an IPA, it gives you just enough bitterness and flavor to keep it interesting. I hope there are 6 packs left the next time I go back to the store... (1,414 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

While this beer has a fair amount of hoppiness to it, it doesn't overwhelm the palate. A very tasty and refreshing beer that I enjoyed. It wasn't super fresh (a month old), so it would probably be even better (at least for hop heads) than it was. Still, I enjoyed the unique Tasmanian hop flavors and would certainly drink this again. (334 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yes. Please. May I have some more?

What a superbly put together IPA.

The color is a gorgeous pale orange color. A nice tight head that remains well after the pour, clinging to the side of the glass as I drink down this delightful nectar.

Smells of hops, mango, pineapple, and a touch of resin.

Tastes like a tropical fruit salad mated with some fresh baked Hawaiian bread. This is the stuff legends are made of.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean, and perfectly carbonated.

Bring me more. this needs to be in every IPA fan's fridge. (532 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As light an IPA as I can recall. This beer almost looks like a pils! Great carbonation and head formation. Thick lacing is left as it diminishes in the glass.

And wow! The aroma hits me while I’m pouring it. Definitely the most exciting new hop aroma I’ve come across in a long time. I’ve had beers with Galaxy hops before, but none have been this amped up. Huge fruity/citrus notes, as well as an odd almost sulfur-like smell, but it’s not off-putting, just different and hard to grasp. Great smell to this.

The aroma just gets me excited to drink this, and the flavor thankfully does not let me down. As I understand it, this beer is comprised one type of hop and one type of malt. If so, simplicity really works here. Very drinkable, yet this beer is all about showcasing this interesting hop cultivar. I get a lot of mango fruit flavor, but then the finish has this really odd sensation, where it’s not just bitter, but it’s almost a stinging and drying sensation. The only other time I’ve experienced that was with Zombie Dust, but that is a Citra hop beer. Malt is definitely second fiddle, but the light touch of honey sweetness provides a good, but small counterpoint. Body/mouthfeel are spot-on—no complaints there.

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA is one of those rare beers that really makes me sit up and pay attention and is what the American craft beer scene is all about. It’s a new and exciting take on an IPA. And by far the best beer I’ve ever had by Schlafly. It’s only mid-January, but I have a feeling I may consider this one of my top 5 beers of 2013. (1,588 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12 oz bottle , bottled 3 months ago so I wasn't going to rate it but it was so good I thought I would

A very light yellow colored beer with a white 1 finger head and small amounts of lacing

Very sweet hoppy smell , floral and earthy and sweet

Very nice smooth mouthfeel to this brew , very enjoyable

Very nice tasting beer , the hops the malt and the yeast all come together very well , just a great example of an American IPA that is very balanced , will be purchasing this every year when it comes out (520 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured to a dense and full head with great retention and lacing, light tan color. Appearance was a clear and deep golden color. Aroma had strong citrus, fruit and grass notes with some herbal notes. Tastes nice and hoppy with some sweet and fruity characteristics mixed in. Also some floral and grain, almost woody, thrown in. Mouth feel was medium with a dry and biting aftertaste. (382 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle purchased at Whole Foods - Foggy Bottom, bottle dated 10/29/2014 19:06, poured into my Gandhi-Bot large bottomed snifter, crushed over 15 minutes (159 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

"Bottled with love on 9/24"

A- A light haze within a yellow orange body. A great lacing yielded from a classic two finger fluffy head. A classic, but lighter than usual.

S- Citrus and tropical fruit notes of mango, starfruit, and unripe kiwi. There isn't really any malt in the nose.

T- My first though was, this tastes like the mooted juice of the chopped fruits in the nose mixed with the childhood thrill of Tang. There is some sweetness and a little of the English IPA take. A bit of bit for the 7.2% ABV to cut though everything.

M-Lightly carbonated, smooth, and tangy finish. Much lighter than the usual APA or IPA you are use to

Overall: Forget the 30 day rule: Seek, Acquire, Consume (698 characters)

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) from The Schlafly Tap Room