Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) | The Schlafly Tap Room

YOUR RATING = None |

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

Added by Megahertz on 10-12-2012

Reviews: 266 | Ratings: 1,631
4.25/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a growler.

Pours a nice straw gold color. Kinda hazy. Big foamy, marshmallows head that hangs around. Great lacing.

Smell is of tropical fruit. Pineapple, mango, grapefruit are all present. Kind of a rich yeasty smell as well.

Taste is right upfront with tropical fruit. Pineapple, mango, with a slight grapefruit twang. Mellows into a slight hop bitterness that lingers a little bit. Not overly hoppy, but very light and refreshing.

Mouthfeel isn't too crisp, but is slightly creamy.

Great floral IPA. Very different with all the tropical flavors.

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

I have heard so much about this as the cream of the local seasonals etc. Well, it does not disappoint.

Just looking at it in the glass, I was wary. Extremely pale, light straw, urine, apple juice, however you want to describe it, it is seriously light and translucent. There IS however a nice fluffy white head sitting on top that shrinks down, but still leaves little remnants of itself all over the edges, like finding clothes strewn about long after ___ has left.

Smelling this one brings together a lot of my preferred IPA characteristics. Juicy tropical citrus fruits, some solid round caramel malt backbone... now I'm getting more excited.

Then it hits your tongue.
That caramel smoothe sweetness has decided it's had enough of this party and split, and what we're left with is aggressive tropical and citrus hops. Fruity mango, tangerine, pineapple with a spicy/bitter rind/grapefruit and just a touch of coniferous hints to satiate this northwesterner... This lives up to the hype in my opinion. While this is decidedly a hopthusiasts oneirological canvas, it is crisp and smoothe on the finish, with juuust a hint of honey/caramel/can't quite put my finger on it sweet to balance things out and leave you loving life and craving more. This beer has earned the praise it has received, and I'm already lamenting the fact that I'll probably never see it again after this season (I am not staying in the midwest)

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle chilled and poured into a pint glass. I couldn't find a freshness date on the bottle, but it definitely tasted very fresh.

Appearance: Pale yellow in color with a slight touch of haze toward the thicker end of the glass. Two finger creamy white head with really solid retention. A really nice lacing up and down the glass.

Aroma: Mango, passionfruit, and pineapple notes all burst upfront. Definitely more on the tropical than earthy / piney side. Very hop forward. Some light biscuit pale malt notes too.

Taste: Mango, pineapple and grapefruit notes dominate the taste as well. This is definitely a tropical fruit bomb. A bit more bitterness than in the arom as well. Some light honey and passionfruit as well. Really tasty, refreshing and drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and really easy to drink. Refreshing.

Overall, a really tasty, tropical fruit heavy IPA that really has a great hop profile. The malt backbone is light enough to let the hops really shine. Not the most complex profile, but really tasty and solidly executed. I really enjoyed this.

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle. Golden color with nice 2 finger head. Perfect. Smell isn't overpowering of citrus. Tastes of pineapple in front with grapefruit finish. Unique flavor of hops. Great carbonation. Very easy drinking beer. I love it.

3.77/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This unique hop variety smells like stank feet. I don't know how else to explain it beyond feet. It is a nice beer with solid flavors and good feel, otherwise. It just smells like my shoes after a 10 hour day at work.

Been looking forward to this for a while now and picked up my first sixer today. Bottled on 10-8-2012, so less than two weeks old. Poured into a Duvel tulip and got a very light yellow body. Probably the lightest colored IPA I've ever had. A one-finger white head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving only spotty lacing.

Nice hop aroma, mostly citrus, but a little bit of floral and herbal notes as well. The herbal notes are earthy, and are backed up by a bit of sweet malt aroma.

The flavor follows the aroma and the hop notes pack a solid punch. Again, I don't recall ever having one with all Australian hops and the flavor is distinct.

Medium texture to the mouthfeel and a bit of oily hop texture as well. Big fan of Schlafly and this one does not disappoint - it's rock solid. Very drinkable with excellent hoppiness. Very happy to see a year-round IPA rotation coming out of Schlafly.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) is a delicious and very drinkable American IPA. It is clean and delicious!

A: Yellow colour and 5 mm head. Decent carbonation. 4.5

S: Strong delicious grassy hops. Some floral character too. 4.5

T: Dry and malty with grassy hops. Dry bitter finish. So very drinkable. 4.25

M: Not that foamy. 4

O: 4.5

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: a little darker than a bud light, better lacing, not near the clarity of bud light but it's not bad

S: has a little bit of a spicey smell, pineapple, has a souring grapefruit smell I think it's the type of malts They use

T: Nice clean taste alcohol surprised by tasting the booze some pineapple and grapefruit pretty malty too but the malts compliment the bitterness

M: Lingering cloying just ok

O: I had this beer in January and older a lot older and I remember it being a lot better this beer is ok and as dad as schlafly goes pretty impressive but really it's ordinary for most other brewers. I thought this beer was better last year I'm disappointed I have 11 more bottled 9-24-14

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours very yellow with a foamy white head. Kind of plain looking. The smell is a very fresh hoppy citrus nose. Very impressed with the smell. The taste is good but afraid not very memorable. It does have a very smooth feel and a fairly clean finish but the hoppy citrus taste fall just a bit short for me to be a top notch beer. Overall it's very drinkable and one that you can have a couple back to back. Nothing spectacular here but pretty enjoyable.

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured into a DFH IPA glass. Clear gold with a beautiful white head. Not the first time I've had this and each time I pour, I'm very impressed with the appearance and the gorgeous nose. Tons of tropical fruit notes waft in a very seductive way.

Really tasty pineapple and mango hop notes; Galaxy hops are a wonderful thing. Clean bitterness on the finish. Medium-bodied and nothing too complicated by the way of malt bill. Likely a simple two row pale malt; so light I don't think there is much else to it! I declare this is a likely a SMaSH beer and a mighty fine one at that. Something to be said about one malt, one hop.

Sexy-ass IPA, all the way. Delicious and good for the soul.

4.26/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy yellow with a strong orange tinge. Little lacing which dissipates quickly. Prevelant lacing for the lack of head.

Scent is tangerines, grass and gasoline.

Flavor is much the same. Yet it works more. Hops are just prevalent enough.

Mouthfeel is almost perfect. Just enough sweetness. The mouthfeel really makes this.

I dont know why these hops always taste llikegas to me. Luckily I'm getting used to it, as I like this one. Very balanced.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured into an IPA glass. Golden/light orange hazy color with a generous white head. Pretty good retention and lacing. Nice aroma with grapefruit, orange, cracker and some pine. Taste was typical Galaxy hops - citrus notes as above with (to me) a nice mild smoky spiciness on the back end. Clean dry finish. Would definitely buy this again.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Great schlafly offering overall… Doesn't drink like a triple IPA. A lot of fruit and citrus character here with a nice smooth finish you would not expect from a triple IPA. Good stuff! Will track down again for sure!

4.31/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a snifter

Mazy, hazy golden . Three fingers of foam that gently settle down with nice lacings on the glass. Lacings hold on as I drink down the glass.

Grapefruit! Wonderful citrus bouquet of fresh squeezed grapefruit. Faint, tiny carbonation.

Smooth , crisp clean taste of citrusy hops. Clean finish with a slight bitterness at the end. Nice , light to medium weight.

I prefer malty beers but I was pleasantly surprised by the taste, smell and appearance of this Tasmanian IPA. A good beer that I would enjoy again.

3.87/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy straw color with quite a bit of carbonation. About 3/4" of eggshell white head forms, which has good retention and lacing. Pretty good looking IPA.

Smell: I get some pale malt character initially, followed by a ton of dankness. Some tropical fruit comes through, but it really turns oniony for me. The dankness on the nose is definitely overdone for me.

Taste: Some pale malt sweetness starts out, followed by loads of hop flavor. Tropical fruit, and dankness follows. The finish is very dank with a bit of onion. Little to no bitterness. Fortunately the onion is not as strong in the flavor as it is in the smell, although I do pick a bit up.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light to medium mouthfeel with ample carbonation. Very nice. Overall, I thought this was pretty good. If the hop flavor was refined a bit, this could turn into something special, as I really enjoy a dank, fruity IPA. I had heard some great things about this beer and while I enjoyed it, I came away slightly underwhelmed. I definitely plan to revisit this as soon as I can though, and will re-review if I have a different take.

3.92/5  rDev -7.8%

This Tasmanian IPA was had in a shaker pint.

Appearance- About a finger of white foam sitting on top of the glass, a little spot lace is on the glass too. The body is about as light lager looking as a beer could possibly be, a transparent yellow-gold with copious amounts of carbonation columns.

Smell- Man this IPA smells great! There is some tropical fruit hanging out, mixing with a spicy herbal scent. This combo is incredibly intoxicating, and I haven't even taken a drink yet. Oh yeah, the tropical fruit is more sweet, like star fruit and oranges. Only getting a 4 because it could be much stronger.

Taste- I'm already halfway through this bottle, quaff-able indeed. It has a lot of that herbal spice that was on the nose with more biscuit malt. The bitterness that sticks to the back of my mouth has a resin-y edge to it.

Tropical fruit is not as evident here. Maybe some orange and grapefruit in the finish, but not shining through like the spice. Still a great drink.

Mouth feel- The feel is completely appropriate but not overly interesting. It is slick and has enough stick to keep the flavor coming, but just barely has a medium body and no real heft.

Overall- I really enjoyed this beer! And at 7.2%, this beer could be down right dangerous. For an IPA, it gives you just enough bitterness and flavor to keep it interesting. I hope there are 6 packs left the next time I go back to the store...

4.71/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12 oz bottle , bottled 3 months ago so I wasn't going to rate it but it was so good I thought I would

A very light yellow colored beer with a white 1 finger head and small amounts of lacing

Very sweet hoppy smell , floral and earthy and sweet

Very nice smooth mouthfeel to this brew , very enjoyable

Very nice tasting beer , the hops the malt and the yeast all come together very well , just a great example of an American IPA that is very balanced , will be purchasing this every year when it comes out

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: deep gold color, thin white head
S: citrus for sure
T: citrus, bitter orange peel
F: light body for a triple, low ABV too
O: well balanced, lots of flavor

3.94/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured to a dense and full head with great retention and lacing, light tan color. Appearance was a clear and deep golden color. Aroma had strong citrus, fruit and grass notes with some herbal notes. Tastes nice and hoppy with some sweet and fruity characteristics mixed in. Also some floral and grain, almost woody, thrown in. Mouth feel was medium with a dry and biting aftertaste.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

brewed on 11/17/15, consumed on 11/27/15 so very excited for this beer and the freshness.

pours a light orange with a thick white head.

smell is unique, full of sweet hops but is not the usual hop variety; some nice Aussie hops.

taste is sweet with slight bitterness. i like the hops on this, not overpowering but very flavorful. finishes dry and bitter. each sip reminds of starburst, both the candy and the astronomical event in a strange way.

overall a pretty damn good beer. not my favorite IPA but a beer i would totally buy again. the Aussie hop fascination is interesting to me. they are citrus hops but not in the same way as American citrus hops. i prefer a quality combination of American hops but this beer is unique and well made. i imagine this being a ridiculously great beer for warm weather.

This one was my 100th beer, so I figured I would write my first review on this delicious brew.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy fizzy golden orange color. Nice inch or so of head that dissipates within a minute or two. Lots of hop particulates suspended in the brew, pretty awesome. Leaves behind a little nice lacing at the edges of the glass that follow all the way to the end.

Smell: A little piney, bold citrus, freshness. The citrus smell really comes through.

Taste: Wow, bold juicy grapefruit right upfront and throughout. Followed by layers of pineapple, and tropical fruit. As you get through a drink, it trails off and is tempered by the mild piney bitterness of the hops on the back end. The robust hop bitterness controls the bold grapefruit, pineapple, and tropical fruit flavors from being too sweet. It is fairly linear in it's approach of these two single flavors that dominate, but in such a great balance to keep you wanting more.

Mouth Feel: A light to medium mouth feel, with plenty of tanginess. Carbonation is present enough to notice, not strong though. Fairly smooth for an IPA, doesn't make you pucker, but definitely lets you know what it is.

Overall: Wow! Definitely a favorite, a very delicious brew. An amazing take on an IPA that has plenty of character to set itself apart from all the others and to keep you coming back.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yes. Please. May I have some more?

What a superbly put together IPA.

The color is a gorgeous pale orange color. A nice tight head that remains well after the pour, clinging to the side of the glass as I drink down this delightful nectar.

Smells of hops, mango, pineapple, and a touch of resin.

Tastes like a tropical fruit salad mated with some fresh baked Hawaiian bread. This is the stuff legends are made of.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean, and perfectly carbonated.

Bring me more. this needs to be in every IPA fan's fridge.

4.56/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As light an IPA as I can recall. This beer almost looks like a pils! Great carbonation and head formation. Thick lacing is left as it diminishes in the glass.

And wow! The aroma hits me while I’m pouring it. Definitely the most exciting new hop aroma I’ve come across in a long time. I’ve had beers with Galaxy hops before, but none have been this amped up. Huge fruity/citrus notes, as well as an odd almost sulfur-like smell, but it’s not off-putting, just different and hard to grasp. Great smell to this.

The aroma just gets me excited to drink this, and the flavor thankfully does not let me down. As I understand it, this beer is comprised one type of hop and one type of malt. If so, simplicity really works here. Very drinkable, yet this beer is all about showcasing this interesting hop cultivar. I get a lot of mango fruit flavor, but then the finish has this really odd sensation, where it’s not just bitter, but it’s almost a stinging and drying sensation. The only other time I’ve experienced that was with Zombie Dust, but that is a Citra hop beer. Malt is definitely second fiddle, but the light touch of honey sweetness provides a good, but small counterpoint. Body/mouthfeel are spot-on—no complaints there.

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA is one of those rare beers that really makes me sit up and pay attention and is what the American craft beer scene is all about. It’s a new and exciting take on an IPA. And by far the best beer I’ve ever had by Schlafly. It’s only mid-January, but I have a feeling I may consider this one of my top 5 beers of 2013.

3.61/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

-Fluffy head, pale yellow
-Grass, hay
-Pineapple, dirt, grass
-Crud in the beer. Floaties, but decent carbonation

-interesting, ok beer. Only a month old, so although fresh not my thing.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle purchased at Whole Foods - Foggy Bottom, bottle dated 10/29/2014 19:06, poured into my Gandhi-Bot large bottomed snifter, crushed over 15 minutes

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) from The Schlafly Tap Room