Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Megahertz on 10-12-2012

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

Reviews: 254 | Hads: 1,552
4.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle. Golden color with nice 2 finger head. Perfect. Smell isn't overpowering of citrus. Tastes of pineapple in front with grapefruit finish. Unique flavor of hops. Great carbonation. Very easy drinking beer. I love it.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured into a DFH IPA glass. Clear gold with a beautiful white head. Not the first time I've had this and each time I pour, I'm very impressed with the appearance and the gorgeous nose. Tons of tropical fruit notes waft in a very seductive way.

Really tasty pineapple and mango hop notes; Galaxy hops are a wonderful thing. Clean bitterness on the finish. Medium-bodied and nothing too complicated by the way of malt bill. Likely a simple two row pale malt; so light I don't think there is much else to it! I declare this is a likely a SMaSH beer and a mighty fine one at that. Something to be said about one malt, one hop.

Sexy-ass IPA, all the way. Delicious and good for the soul.

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

While this beer has a fair amount of hoppiness to it, it doesn't overwhelm the palate. A very tasty and refreshing beer that I enjoyed. It wasn't super fresh (a month old), so it would probably be even better (at least for hop heads) than it was. Still, I enjoyed the unique Tasmanian hop flavors and would certainly drink this again.

4.26/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy yellow with a strong orange tinge. Little lacing which dissipates quickly. Prevelant lacing for the lack of head.

Scent is tangerines, grass and gasoline.

Flavor is much the same. Yet it works more. Hops are just prevalent enough.

Mouthfeel is almost perfect. Just enough sweetness. The mouthfeel really makes this.

I dont know why these hops always taste llikegas to me. Luckily I'm getting used to it, as I like this one. Very balanced.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours very yellow with a foamy white head. Kind of plain looking. The smell is a very fresh hoppy citrus nose. Very impressed with the smell. The taste is good but afraid not very memorable. It does have a very smooth feel and a fairly clean finish but the hoppy citrus taste fall just a bit short for me to be a top notch beer. Overall it's very drinkable and one that you can have a couple back to back. Nothing spectacular here but pretty enjoyable.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy straw color with quite a bit of carbonation. About 3/4" of eggshell white head forms, which has good retention and lacing. Pretty good looking IPA.

Smell: I get some pale malt character initially, followed by a ton of dankness. Some tropical fruit comes through, but it really turns oniony for me. The dankness on the nose is definitely overdone for me.

Taste: Some pale malt sweetness starts out, followed by loads of hop flavor. Tropical fruit, and dankness follows. The finish is very dank with a bit of onion. Little to no bitterness. Fortunately the onion is not as strong in the flavor as it is in the smell, although I do pick a bit up.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light to medium mouthfeel with ample carbonation. Very nice. Overall, I thought this was pretty good. If the hop flavor was refined a bit, this could turn into something special, as I really enjoy a dank, fruity IPA. I had heard some great things about this beer and while I enjoyed it, I came away slightly underwhelmed. I definitely plan to revisit this as soon as I can though, and will re-review if I have a different take.

3.92/5  rDev -8%

This Tasmanian IPA was had in a shaker pint.

Appearance- About a finger of white foam sitting on top of the glass, a little spot lace is on the glass too. The body is about as light lager looking as a beer could possibly be, a transparent yellow-gold with copious amounts of carbonation columns.

Smell- Man this IPA smells great! There is some tropical fruit hanging out, mixing with a spicy herbal scent. This combo is incredibly intoxicating, and I haven't even taken a drink yet. Oh yeah, the tropical fruit is more sweet, like star fruit and oranges. Only getting a 4 because it could be much stronger.

Taste- I'm already halfway through this bottle, quaff-able indeed. It has a lot of that herbal spice that was on the nose with more biscuit malt. The bitterness that sticks to the back of my mouth has a resin-y edge to it.

Tropical fruit is not as evident here. Maybe some orange and grapefruit in the finish, but not shining through like the spice. Still a great drink.

Mouth feel- The feel is completely appropriate but not overly interesting. It is slick and has enough stick to keep the flavor coming, but just barely has a medium body and no real heft.

Overall- I really enjoyed this beer! And at 7.2%, this beer could be down right dangerous. For an IPA, it gives you just enough bitterness and flavor to keep it interesting. I hope there are 6 packs left the next time I go back to the store...

4.71/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12 oz bottle , bottled 3 months ago so I wasn't going to rate it but it was so good I thought I would

A very light yellow colored beer with a white 1 finger head and small amounts of lacing

Very sweet hoppy smell , floral and earthy and sweet

Very nice smooth mouthfeel to this brew , very enjoyable

Very nice tasting beer , the hops the malt and the yeast all come together very well , just a great example of an American IPA that is very balanced , will be purchasing this every year when it comes out

4.77/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yes. Please. May I have some more?

What a superbly put together IPA.

The color is a gorgeous pale orange color. A nice tight head that remains well after the pour, clinging to the side of the glass as I drink down this delightful nectar.

Smells of hops, mango, pineapple, and a touch of resin.

Tastes like a tropical fruit salad mated with some fresh baked Hawaiian bread. This is the stuff legends are made of.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean, and perfectly carbonated.

Bring me more. this needs to be in every IPA fan's fridge.

4.56/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As light an IPA as I can recall. This beer almost looks like a pils! Great carbonation and head formation. Thick lacing is left as it diminishes in the glass.

And wow! The aroma hits me while I’m pouring it. Definitely the most exciting new hop aroma I’ve come across in a long time. I’ve had beers with Galaxy hops before, but none have been this amped up. Huge fruity/citrus notes, as well as an odd almost sulfur-like smell, but it’s not off-putting, just different and hard to grasp. Great smell to this.

The aroma just gets me excited to drink this, and the flavor thankfully does not let me down. As I understand it, this beer is comprised one type of hop and one type of malt. If so, simplicity really works here. Very drinkable, yet this beer is all about showcasing this interesting hop cultivar. I get a lot of mango fruit flavor, but then the finish has this really odd sensation, where it’s not just bitter, but it’s almost a stinging and drying sensation. The only other time I’ve experienced that was with Zombie Dust, but that is a Citra hop beer. Malt is definitely second fiddle, but the light touch of honey sweetness provides a good, but small counterpoint. Body/mouthfeel are spot-on—no complaints there.

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA is one of those rare beers that really makes me sit up and pay attention and is what the American craft beer scene is all about. It’s a new and exciting take on an IPA. And by far the best beer I’ve ever had by Schlafly. It’s only mid-January, but I have a feeling I may consider this one of my top 5 beers of 2013.

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured to a dense and full head with great retention and lacing, light tan color. Appearance was a clear and deep golden color. Aroma had strong citrus, fruit and grass notes with some herbal notes. Tastes nice and hoppy with some sweet and fruity characteristics mixed in. Also some floral and grain, almost woody, thrown in. Mouth feel was medium with a dry and biting aftertaste.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: a little darker than a bud light, better lacing, not near the clarity of bud light but it's not bad

S: has a little bit of a spicey smell, pineapple, has a souring grapefruit smell I think it's the type of malts They use

T: Nice clean taste alcohol surprised by tasting the booze some pineapple and grapefruit pretty malty too but the malts compliment the bitterness

M: Lingering cloying just ok

O: I had this beer in January and older a lot older and I remember it being a lot better this beer is ok and as dad as schlafly goes pretty impressive but really it's ordinary for most other brewers. I thought this beer was better last year I'm disappointed I have 11 more bottled 9-24-14

3.77/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This unique hop variety smells like stank feet. I don't know how else to explain it beyond feet. It is a nice beer with solid flavors and good feel, otherwise. It just smells like my shoes after a 10 hour day at work.

4.31/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a snifter

Mazy, hazy golden . Three fingers of foam that gently settle down with nice lacings on the glass. Lacings hold on as I drink down the glass.

Grapefruit! Wonderful citrus bouquet of fresh squeezed grapefruit. Faint, tiny carbonation.

Smooth , crisp clean taste of citrusy hops. Clean finish with a slight bitterness at the end. Nice , light to medium weight.

I prefer malty beers but I was pleasantly surprised by the taste, smell and appearance of this Tasmanian IPA. A good beer that I would enjoy again.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Great schlafly offering overall… Doesn't drink like a triple IPA. A lot of fruit and citrus character here with a nice smooth finish you would not expect from a triple IPA. Good stuff! Will track down again for sure!

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle purchased at Whole Foods - Foggy Bottom, bottle dated 10/29/2014 19:06, poured into my Gandhi-Bot large bottomed snifter, crushed over 15 minutes

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

"Bottled with love on 9/24"

A- A light haze within a yellow orange body. A great lacing yielded from a classic two finger fluffy head. A classic, but lighter than usual.

S- Citrus and tropical fruit notes of mango, starfruit, and unripe kiwi. There isn't really any malt in the nose.

T- My first though was, this tastes like the mooted juice of the chopped fruits in the nose mixed with the childhood thrill of Tang. There is some sweetness and a little of the English IPA take. A bit of bit for the 7.2% ABV to cut though everything.

M-Lightly carbonated, smooth, and tangy finish. Much lighter than the usual APA or IPA you are use to

Overall: Forget the 30 day rule: Seek, Acquire, Consume

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

A: A nice orange color, but nothin prominent, definitely transparent, a nice finger of off white head at the top and a nice lacing around the glass.

S: A great nose on this brew, pineapple, mango, apricot, some lemon and orange, the nose was really nice and subtle on this one.

T: Almost excatly like the nose with some malt backbone to balance it off, nice and sweet but nothing over the top great flavors throuhgout.

M: A good amount of carbonation, medium bodie and somewhat sticky.

O: A fantastic beer, Loved all the flavors on this one and the super well balanced of it as well, drinking this was like biting into a tropical starburst, super good.

4.06/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Grey Sail pint glass

Appearance- Hazy orange color with a small white head.

Smell- Strange. Skunk, citrus, tropical fruits, and earthy hops.

Taste- Fruity/citrusy hops. Piney flavors. Very earthy. No alcohol at 7.2

Mouthfeel- Smooth carbonation. Lighter in body.

Overall- Great tasting IPA, but smells really weird to me.

This one was my 100th beer, so I figured I would write my first review on this delicious brew.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy fizzy golden orange color. Nice inch or so of head that dissipates within a minute or two. Lots of hop particulates suspended in the brew, pretty awesome. Leaves behind a little nice lacing at the edges of the glass that follow all the way to the end.

Smell: A little piney, bold citrus, freshness. The citrus smell really comes through.

Taste: Wow, bold juicy grapefruit right upfront and throughout. Followed by layers of pineapple, and tropical fruit. As you get through a drink, it trails off and is tempered by the mild piney bitterness of the hops on the back end. The robust hop bitterness controls the bold grapefruit, pineapple, and tropical fruit flavors from being too sweet. It is fairly linear in it's approach of these two single flavors that dominate, but in such a great balance to keep you wanting more.

Mouth Feel: A light to medium mouth feel, with plenty of tanginess. Carbonation is present enough to notice, not strong though. Fairly smooth for an IPA, doesn't make you pucker, but definitely lets you know what it is.

Overall: Wow! Definitely a favorite, a very delicious brew. An amazing take on an IPA that has plenty of character to set itself apart from all the others and to keep you coming back.

Will absolutely seek out and purchase again.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into an IPA glass. Golden/light orange hazy color with a generous white head. Pretty good retention and lacing. Nice aroma with grapefruit, orange, cracker and some pine. Taste was typical Galaxy hops - citrus notes as above with (to me) a nice mild smoky spiciness on the back end. Clean dry finish. Would definitely buy this again.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

brewed on 11/17/15, consumed on 11/27/15 so very excited for this beer and the freshness.

pours a light orange with a thick white head.

smell is unique, full of sweet hops but is not the usual hop variety; some nice Aussie hops.

taste is sweet with slight bitterness. i like the hops on this, not overpowering but very flavorful. finishes dry and bitter. each sip reminds of starburst, both the candy and the astronomical event in a strange way.

overall a pretty damn good beer. not my favorite IPA but a beer i would totally buy again. the Aussie hop fascination is interesting to me. they are citrus hops but not in the same way as American citrus hops. i prefer a quality combination of American hops but this beer is unique and well made.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

12oz bottle in Sam Adams glass
bottled with love on 12/11/12

A: Light straw colored, crystal clear, one finger pure white head. Looks like a pils
S: Fruit, melon, floral
T: Tropical fruit punch with a definite bitterness at the back of the tongue. A slightly sweet graininess underneath. The hops linger a little bit, but it is very easy to go back for more.
M: Very crisp and a lot of carbonation, not a sipping beer.
O: A dangerously drinkable 7% beer, it tastes like I could drink a 6-pack in one sitting. Just looked at the website, says this is just 2-row and Galaxy hops, I now know why everyone loves Galaxy. A truly delicious IPA, highly recommended. I hope this becomes an annual thing.

4.31/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottles 10/8/12 poured into Founders Bolt Cutter glass
Thanks to tut2528 for this one

Pour: A light orange-lemon color with 2 fingers of bright white head. The head consisted of small tight white bubbles with good lacing and retention. This beer upon pouring and standing for a few minutes remains cloudy .

Smell: Citrus and tropical are the dominant player in the aroma with orange, tangerine, pineapple and grapefruit. Some grass notes in there too but second to the citrus.

Taste: Quite bitter at first but also the citrus and tropical notes are at the front. Pineapple and grapefruit dominate with some orange playing a supporting role. Lemon is also noted along with some mild maltiness in the form of slight cracker and bread.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with mild carbonation. Actually pretty creamy/oily but with a dry finish to it.

Overall: Though I tend to enjoy the DIPA over IPA style, this is a very enjoyable tropical citrus bomb. Just the right amount of hop bitterness with tropical infusion creates an awesome highly drinkable IPA.

Must also mention that the lacing is something to behold as I drink this beer.

A- Light gold, very effervescent. Looks kind of hazy, but that might just be lots of little bubbles. There’s a thin head that leaves a fair amount of lace along the sides of the glass as it dissipates.

S- Very citrusy, like orange and grapefruit juice. There’s maybe a little bit of a grassy or herbal note in there as well.

T- Just a hint of sweetness before the hops take over. They have a juicy citrus quality that definitely brings to mind orange juice but without the sweetness. Bitterness is pronounced, but pleasant. There’s a hint of alcohol on the finish, but it’s not strong.

M- Fairly light with pleasant carbonation. Exceedingly drinkable. It drinks like a much lower ABV beer.

The description of this beer promises something much different than a traditional IPA. I don’t know that it really delivers on that, but this is still a very solid beer. I love citrusy IPAs and this one is certainly quite citrusy, so I’m in. I can’t help but recommend this.

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) from The Schlafly Tap Room