Schlafly Sessions IPA - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Sessions IPASchlafly Sessions IPA

good

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Our IPA is a session IPA, a smooth golden ale packed with the bold flavor and aroma of American hops. We crafted it in the spirit of the low gravity IPAs common in the UK where the style stands for hoppy, not heavy.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with hops as a natural preservative. Today, the term IPA is used for many full flavored beers along a wide array of recipes.

(Beer added by: BEERchitect on 04-17-2013)
1.5/5  rDev -58.1%

2.33/5  rDev -34.9%

My sister brought this back from St. Louis

Clear gold with a thin head. Smells like lemon and grassy hop but that fades quickly and leaves a bland golden ale pale malt eh in its wake. Taste is a again initially lemongrass hops but once that fades the mildly caramel malt and and subtle bitter in back give an expired apple juice impression. Kinda bubbly.

30 ibus will stretch only so far. Well thanks for thinking of me sis just the same.

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

3.08/5  rDev -14%

3.19/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pale copper IPA from da can eh? This one has nice chunky lacing, head is thick bright white egg shell hued, nice looking brew so far. Aroma muted hops watered down citrus notes, pale biscuit malts session IPA the can says bold flavors....they lied a bit there. Canned in June, pretty lifeless watered down hops, generic hop pellet flavor mild biscuit malt sweetness pretty mediocre as a whole. Low alcohol is a good feature but not when the flavor is lacking. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied no hop oils featured on the palate goes down easy but it's a weird experience. Overall I bought a six and I'm glad I don't have access to anymore, worth the try but I bought this based one nostalgia from visiting the brewery in St. Louis over ten years ago.

3.2/5  rDev -10.6%

Whenever I go down to DC to visit my aunt and uncle, like last weekend, I make it a point to stop in at the Whole Foods Market near Dupont Circle. They always seem to have new and different CANs on hand for me to take away in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM).

From the box housing the six-pack: "Schlafly Brewing Since 1991"; "CAN Sessions These are beers with big flavor, trialed over the bar at our brewpubs in St. Louis and crafted to be both easy to drink and hard to resist."; "IPA Schlafly IPA is a session IPA, a smooth golden ale packed with the bold flavor and aroma of Ameri[CAN] hops. We crafted it in the spirit of the low gravity IPAs common in the UK where the style stands for hoppy, not heavy. 4.5% ABV."; "Visit One of Our Brewpubs The Schlafly Tap Room The repurposed turn of the century historic building where Schlafly started. Choose form over 16 of our beers on tap and a menu of classic European fare. 2100 Locust Street. Schlafly Bottleworks Where we bottle over 20 different varieties a year. Visit us on a weekend for a free tour and tasting or pair a pint with food that features local farmers. 7260 Southwest Avenue."

From the CAN: "CAN Sessions Bold Flavor".

A Crack! befitting such a wondrous CANned beer set things in motion and was followed with an inverted Glug, resulting in two rocky, tawny fingers of dense head with decent retention. Color was a bright deep-amber (SRM - TBD). Nose smelled of fresh-mown grass and fresh-baked buscuits. Mmmm. Mouthfeel was a little on the thin side, but I was here for the hops, which were subdued for the style. It had more of a caramel-like sweetness, underlain by the grassy hops. I think that it should be redesignated as an "English IPA", given the verbiage of the packaging. Finish was still sweeter than I would like in an AIPA, but fitting for an EIPA. I CAN't say that I was disappointed, but neither was I totally enthusiastic, either.

3.24/5  rDev -9.5%