Maisel's Weisse Original - Brauerei Gebrüder Maisel GmbH & Co.

Maisel's Weisse OriginalMaisel's Weisse Original

Brauerei Gebrüder Maisel GmbH & Co. visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-24-2002)
4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours a perfect orange yellow, huge white head that melds with the last drops of yeast-saturated beer. Crazy as the yeast seems to actualy layer and blend between the orangish top and the yellowish bottom of the full weiss glass.

Freaking huge aroma of weisenstephan yeast strain, my favorite. Pinapple, banana, clove and fresh hallertau hops all very present. An incredible and thick flavor of fresh hefeweiss smacks your taste buds with all that a hefeweiss should be. Carbonation is high rendering this beer very refreshing and palate cleansing. On the downside, it fills you up awful fast, making this a nice summer quencher but hardly a session ale.

Try it fresh when in Germany!

Normal 50cl Brown Bottle, best before 31 May 2008, drank late April 2008.

Poured into a Franziskaner Weissbier Glass and it looked a typical lovely weissbier appearance. A little darker than some, but still the normal huge white head and the cloudiness and bubbles you come to expect from this type of beer.

Vanilla and Banana aromas fill your nose, toffee comes along to add another dimension, great smells.

Clean refreshing taste, dry, crisp and with a citrus twang as well.

A cracking beer and one of the best in its style for me. I am mad I only picked up a four pack when last in Germany, I'll not make that mistake again.

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

This is an odd beer for me. The appearance of this brew was average with a fair amount of light white head, and a gold and hazy body. The aroma was a bit off with a vinegar and peppery smell. The taste, however, was a bit of a surprise. I detected hints of clove and banana, which are typical, but it was nicely balanced. Drinkability wise it is all there, very thirst quenching and enjoyable.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

This beer was poured into a weizen glass from the 12oz bottle.

The beer poured with a hazy straw colored body and a white fluffy head. The head does not hold as well as you would expect from this style and does not lace as much either. The smell is a typical wheat and bready smell. The taste is similar, and had the characteristics of a good weizen, but is just a bit on the weak side. The mouthfeel is also a bit thinner than the best ones out there. This is a nice beer, just not in the same league as the best out there.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

This is a pretty solid hefe I picked up at random at a local bar for lack of anything else. The appearance was typical of this style of beer: amber, somewhat opaque. It had a nice, barley smell, with a hint of some other fruits I couldn't pinpoint. The taste was very pleasing, refreshing and not overpowering, but not something you'd want to give up your favorite beer over. Overall, it's a pretty satisfying brew.

4.22/5  rDev +9%

11.2 oz. bottle with some code on the bottom of the label. The beer is an opaque amber, with high carbonation and a finger of tan head that leaves light lacing - a bit dark for the style, but still nice. Smells of malted wheat and sweet malts, with almost overripe bananas, spicy hops, and some fruitiness and yeast. Tangy, tart, and nutty wheat on the palate, with spicy yeast, subdued phenolics (hints of cloves and banana), some fruity esters, spicy/salty hops that impart a mild bitterness, and perhaps a bit of chocolate. The body is very dry, medium, with medium carbonation and finish. Overall it's a well-constructed beer, with lots of wheat flavor and tastes a bit like a cross between a hefe and dunkel weizen.

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Bought for xmas eve '07..Smells very old world, of banana, cloves, dust, and an old maid ... very dark in colour, of orange amber bread crust ... glides down the throat, but has a very strange aftertaste that weirds it all up.... lacing is like james stewart in a wonderful life... a pin point above average Hefe but the queer aftertaste kills the overall enjoyment of this beer, but it has its place...probably..

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

There really isn't a lot to say about this if you've enjoyed a fine and wide selection of hefe's.

The pour is probably the most enjoyable part, with an amber body and creamy white sticky head that laces a little too well. Brilliant.

I've got a bit of a cold at the moment, so the aroma was hard to pick, but there's definitely a yeasty undertone with some mild fruit overtones. I wish I was in a healthier. Typical of a hefe from the region.

The taste again is quite typical of a German hefe, although less stand-out than my preferred brews being the Shoffer Hefe and the Paulaner Hefe. Banana, spice, yeast - definitely enjoyable, but unfortunately not stand-out... there are better options as far as flavour goes.

The mouth feel is appropriate, moderate carbonation with no nasty aftertaste transcending from the up-front flavour.

Drinkability like many of this style is great - somewhat of a session beer, but also one that could be enjoyed whole-heartedly as a single.

Something that I'd recommend picking up at the right price, but not something I'd go out of my way to find with superior hefe options available.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

First beer I had tonight, overall it reminded me of so many belgian beers, it really did not stand out as a favorite of mine although it is a beer I can see myself getting in the future, overall it went well with white chedder and wheat crackers, all in all I also finished it off with a very good beer cheese fondue. I tend to wish I would have drank the Samual Smiths India Ale with the fondue.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

I had this one just after an Erdinger and the Maisel’s is so much superior that Erdinger seemed a bore.

Appearance: hazy with a pale orange colour. The head is off-white, huge, and moussy. It has good head retention but not so much lacing when it finally fades.
Aroma: very fruity nose. A mixture of bananas, cloves and other spices. Very pleasant.
Taste: great taste of sweet malts, bananas and spices.
Mouthfeel: smooth and silky, strong carbonation, right alcoholic strength and a full body.
Finish: lingering light fruity aftertaste.

Overall: a great beer. Very refreshing and complex. All I could expect from a Weissbier. I hope I could find another bottle soon.

3.53/5  rDev -8.8%

a) Dense frothy head, heavy lace. Dark orange / apricot hue, hazy, bubbly.
s) Typical Weizen.. banana, clove, wheat.... appealing balance
f) As with aroma, but with a more dominant wheat character.
m) Kinda light, slightly thin. Fades quickly. Needs more body and length.
d) Very quaffable

3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

So I chilled out at Greens the other week and decided to stock up on a bunch of German beers that I had never tried. Amazingly this turned out to be one of. I was actually shocked myself when I checked my stats and saw that I had never reviewed it. I was sure it had been there before. So anyway I have it, I new I would like it and I decided to go forth with it..

A - Poured a nice deep hazy yellow, lots of suspension visible. A big two inch plus head formed immediatly. Well actually it was probably more like four or five inches, but that is neither here nor there. Excellent rretention as it hung around for a good long while. Nice carbonation was visible straing up and some decent side glass lace.

S - Aroma was of lots of wheat which you would expect and a decent amount of yeast. Great earthy grain smell and a nice lively light presense. I felt like it was summer when I smlled this. Very light.

T - Classic hefe, light with a ton of carbonation, lots of wheat and yeast flavors and a hint at some light fruit. Maybe soem lemon in there, something else I could just not put my finger on but nice taste,

M - Light, crisp, clean. Lots of carbontion really tickled the nose alot. Goof feel, went down real smooth and did not linger long. Had a really good full body.

D - Fantastic as most hefes tend to be. This was truly a good summer drinker, could have had this one all night long to be honest. Just a solid low ABV drinkers beer.

Overall quite nice hefe. Above average for sure and a staple for the style something I will definatly go back to in the future. Definatly worth picking up if you see it, quality brew for sure.

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a golden wheat color that is murky with a nice head that whittles down a tad, but stays with you for the duration. Nice banana bread and brown sugar aroma with a refreshing, fruity banana taste. Not in the same league with Weihenstephan, my favorite, but this is a very solid example of the hefe style.

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

appearance is a sort of amber wheat color, with a head that dies fast.
the smell...what smell.. i dont detect a strong smell from this beer at all. there was some before i poured it into the glass but the minute i did so it went away, what is thre is some yeats and wheat maybe some fruit. taste is ok, by no means the beast hefe weizen. its a clean flavor that isnt very in depth, but is not offensive at all. this beer is around average, with each sip i waver between whats this beer doing and, this is somewhat refreshing. its not something I would get again, but its not a "bad" beer, if your a huge hefe fan, its worth a try to see if its an interpretation you enjoy.

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

A pretty nice example of what a hefe has to offer. An off-orange color with the usual thick, white head. I don't pick up as much in terms of smell as I do with others that I've enjoyed. Cloves, some fruit, wheat. It's all hard to trace. The taste is also more tamed. I notice some fruit in the background but more spices come through in this one. A consistent mouthfeel that is a little on the lighter side. Not the greatest ever but I could come back for more of this in the future.

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Goodbye Winter Warmers, Barleywines, and Old Ales for a while, it's already feels like summer here in NC. At 86 degrees and the first day mowing the lawn, this one really hit the spot afterwards. Lots of bananas and clove, but quite quenching and easy to drink as well. Lots of carbonation and good head retention. This one the ladies would love as well.

3.3/5  rDev -14.7%

This beer pours a murky, orange/brown color with a thick, stabile head.

Smell is spicy with some clove. A yeasty smell with some wheat notes. I also get some faint chocolate notes.

Taste is malty and spicy of the yeast, with some wheat taste. From appearance and taste I get the feeling there is some caramel and/or chocolate malt in here. I can taste some unsweetened chocolate. The yeast character isn't as outspoken and fresh as some other Weizen I have tried.
Mouthfeel is grainy leaves a dry and tart taste.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

Quite a dark amber tapering to a burnt golden body. Light white coarse bubbled head that doesn't retain. Minimal carbonation.

Very little aroma, a little sweet and toffee like. Little hint of the classic banana-clove aroma. Overall, rather subdued.

Taste is a little more traditional. Smooth banana phenols, with an underlying freshness. Quite easy to drink and very creamy on the palate. Pretty filling though, and the cloying banana bubblegum sweetness gets to you after a while.

Still, it's pretty drinkable and quite smooth. Pretty hard to take more than one of these though.

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%

Lemony and yeasty aroma is about right. Huge, dense, cream colored head is holding me back from pouring the rest of the beer. Hazy, almost opaque (this is before I poured the yeast off the bottom) apricot colored beer. Soft, fluffy mouthfeel with a touch of fizz. More flavor from the wheat then the yeast. Crisp wheat mixes with a stick of bubble gum and a few drops of lemon zest. Finishes soft and yeasty. A good solid Hefe, although not quite at the top of the field.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted on tap at The Rake, an excellent yet tiny foreign beer bar run by the UTOBEER, Borough Market, S. London. This beer is one of two regular beers on tap over there, in addition to Veltins Pilsner.

A: the barstaff poured the beer with great skills, resulting in a cloudy, dark reddish amber beer topped with a nice frothy off-white head that lasts brilliantly.
S: very aromatic fruity on the nose... dried apricots and a flowery aroma (as of US hops) coat in the middle the other usual elements of weizen (mainly bananas and mangos); the input from spicy yeasts is quite light, added with a touch of caramel. Settled, yet very complex and rea...lly pleasant~~
T: caramely and bready malts upfront, very light-bodied; ensued fast by mildly sour bananas, pears, apples... turning drier gradually, with a residual taste of bread and citrus-peels, and a dirty kitchen-cloth like yeastiness at the fringe... a lingering aroma of dried fruits in the end. Overall, very little spiciness is there up for graps.
M&D: spritzy, thin-bodied, slightly off-balance... unlike what I expected from the great aroma. Another underperformed weizen, but drinkable enough.

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Thiis is a weisse I haven't seen before and I'm always up for trying new examples of the style, particulary from its traditional homeland. $2.19 for 500ml at Fayetteville's fines beer store, Grapes and Hops.

Pours big and appealling, cloudy and lacy. Body is neon rust colored and slightly darker than usual among weisse. Nose is muted but features discernable clove and yeast, banana is present but less so.

Taste displays a refreshing balance, with malt aided by the banana, clove, and yeast flavors instead of overpowered by them. Mouthfeel is moderately overcarbonated and a little clumsier than I'd prefer but this is still drinkable and good value. I wouldn't go far out of my way again due top the plethora of quality competition but it's worth an effort to sample if you enjoy the style..

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

So there’s this bar that’s become a staple of my Tuesday nights. It’s called The Whig and they offer 50 cent tacos made by a black guy who supposedly has a master’s degree in art. I’m not sure if the degree helps or not, but the man does assemble a delicious taco. The Whig also serves a fair selection of bottled beer, and was recently advertising this Maisel’s Weisse. First time I’ve seen it anywhere... I believe it just arrived in SC. Here you have me reviewing it at home on a hot night. (Is there any other kind in my city? But I digress.)

So anyway it pours into my 22oz Weizen glass an amber-honey color, with a dense white head and some yeast globs that fall to the bottom. Cloudy but not overly so. Head leaves no lacing as the beer is drunk.

Smells malty and yeasty, with the required banana-spice notes present. Not overwhelming though. Wheaty and safe smelling.

A long draught (I love that word) yields an impressively creamy, spicy wheat beer. Not as complex or forward as some other Weizens I’ve had, this one emphasizes a full mouthfeel and boasts a mellow, wheaty, banana taste with a mild bitter and sour finish. Not much in the way of hops, but nor should there be. The clove and spice flavors are a bit muted compared to, say, Wiestephaner’s offering, but still present. Actually one could call it “well balanced” and be pretty correct too. All in all, a hearty, warming and pleasant beer.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full, with a nice carbonation level. Warms the throat and leaves a dry, mildly sour apple taste behind.

While not a stunning beer, Maisel’s Weisse is a solid one, and if you enjoy the Hefe Wiezens, you certainly should seek it out. I suppose the highest praise I can give is that even though I’m not a huge fan of the Hefe style, I still enjoyed this one quite a bit.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

appearance: The pour produces a huge, fluffy off white head that slowly falls back. A nice layer remains throughout. The beer is a hazy orange-amber in color.

smell: Wheat malt and yeasty aromas upfront with accompanying notes of moderate banana and slight clove. Just a touch of lemon aroma. There is a light noble hop aroma. The aroma is well balanced and pleasing.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is on the lighter side of the high range. The body is between light and medium.

taste: Crisp wheat flavors with yeasty flavors of light banana and clove. There is also just a hint of lemon. After the swallow a light bitterness provides some balance. Well made and very balanced, but I would like some more fruity banana on the tongue...it seems supressed.

drinkabiliy: Easy to drink and very refreshing.

500ml bottle bought from GapWines, Belfast...

Poured a hazy, light coppery colour... Slightly off white head poured big and foamy and a nice thickish layer lasted until near the end...

Aroma - Typical Hefe smells... strong cloves, banana and hints of vanilla, floral, bubblegum, spicy, light sweet malts...

Taste – Nice creamy maltiness, floral, definite cloves and banana, some honey, citrusy, some spiciness...

Feel - Pretty smooth and creamy. Light body. Extremely drinkable...

Overall - An excellent beer.... Recommended...

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

One of the better Hefe's I have had. Bottle poured into a weizen glass. Very hazy amber color with a very large white head(bad pour). Nice fruity smell kinda floral aroma. Light carbonation with a nice smooth banana-esque taste. Very drinkable, will be great choice for me in the summer for a refreshing beverage. Will be grabbing another 6 pack.

Maisel's Weisse Original from Brauerei Gebrüder Maisel GmbH & Co.