2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Flanders-ish Funk Reserve - Martha's Exchange

Flanders-ish Funk Reserve
No picture uploaded.

Martha's Exchange visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-11-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 8 | Reviews: 7 | Show All Ratings:
GarthDanielson

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a bottle at the brewery into a tulip. They had the fridge way too damn cold, as the beer came out with ice chunks throughout. The beer pours a light, hazy, orange gold coloring with a bubbly, light orange-tan filmy head. Aromas abound from this brew, with a strong cherry and grape fruit essence, both sour and tart, as well as a subtle malty backbone. Flavors are rich and slightly spiced, which is different for a Flanders. Tart grape and jasmine flavors get a subtle coriander spicing to help balance, with a tangy caramel backbone. Very smooth, despite the expected sour characteristics. Full bodied, providing an ample canvas for the intense sour and tart characteristics. The aftertaste is more of the fruity tang and sour, leading to an astringent and clean finish. Very solid, well balanced, great tasting Flanders.

05-23-2012 19:56:39 | More by GarthDanielson
Damian

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. unlabeled bottle
Served in a tulip

Thanks to barleywinebrewer for including this as an extra in our trade.

The beer poured a slightly hazed, golden-amber color with a bubbly, rocky, light tan, two-finger head that slowly faded to a thin layer of froth. I was expecting something much darker for the style. Huge blocks of sticky lacing cascaded all down the glass.

The aroma was tart and quite interesting. Musty and funky with strong indications of brett. Unripened fruits (peaches) were also noticeable. Slightly oaky. Hard cider notes came through as well.

The flavor was robust and complex. A tart fruity quality (cherries?) appeared up front. Somewhat white wine-like. Musty and barnyardy in the center. Bready, crackery, semi-sweet caramel malts helped keep the sourness in check. The finish was crisp, dry and lemony with a relatively tannic, oaky presence and a subtle, grassy hop bite. Vinegar notes carried into the aftertaste. This beer brought my taste buds on a roller coasted ride of flavor. Wow.

The mouthfeel was surprisingly rich on the palate with a fine, lively, Champagne-like effervescence.

Drinkability was excellent. I wish I had more of this stuff.

Martha's Flandersish Sour (Red) Reserve is a magnificent beer. Although I would classify it more as an American wild ale (with a greater than average malt presence) than a typical Flanders red ale, it is very tasty nevertheless. If you are a fan of sour ales, definitely seek this one out.

10-27-2009 23:45:51 | More by Damian
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Git this from a very good friend up north. Knowing the big fan of sours that I am I was very happy that he sent this one my way. Served chilled in a goblet, this one was consumed on 04/19/2009.

The pour was very nice. Rich looking light amber in color and a nice head of white across the top. Really quite well done I have to admit. The smell was huge, seriously this was a monster sour. Lots of apple vinegar and tart notes, hints of fruit ripping through the air and that deep funk that only comes from the best. As I take the first taste, my lips pucker and that rich sour flavor takes over everything .Really just well done here as a light try finish and a note of tart cherries rounded it out very, very well.

Overall a very solid beer that was every bit up there with the best I have had in the style. Go figure I never even knew this one existed but I would go out of my way to try and track it down.

04-20-2009 00:53:21 | More by mikesgroove
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.35/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

so, I'm looking down the beer list and what do I see? a flandersish sour reserve beer. My wife is thinking Ned Flanders to tease me. I smile and order anyhow with visions of whose gueze in my mind.

So, the bottle is brought over and a tulip glass is provided. a soft pour yields a reddishs brown hazy brew with a nice small white head. Aromas of tart sour, tart citric and a sweet fruit head up. Taste is great! A nice tart sweetness which reminds me of monk's cafe only drier. a hint of funk underlies this but is complimentary. acidity is low, carbonation and finish are excellent. Quaffed with a tappas steak tip dish. Would gladly have again!

02-03-2009 02:26:24 | More by barleywinebrewer
IBUnit63

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

The beer list states "Flandersish Sour Reserve." Not sure if this is the same thing but I'll take a flyer that it is and roll with it. Plain 12 oz. bottle with a black and white Avery file folder label. The bartender gave me a pint glass for this so I wasn't gonna be high-maintenance and ask for a tulip or goblet...screw it. I'll just pour even more carefully.

Dark natural honey color with expected cloudiness. I tried to keep the bottom dregs out and mostly succeeded but BFD - no troubles here.

Bring in da noize, bring in da FUNK. Awesome horse blanket brett in there with solid yeast electricity. Huge sour tang with slight hop pine.

Good - very good but a little cleaner than expected. Mostly citrus, lemon and orange zest, and nice brett electricity. This has actually mellowed to almost Berliner Weisse neighborhood to me.

As mentioned, much cleaner than expected - brett and accompanying horse blanket funk more prevalent on palate than in taste. Finishes quite evenly.

Drinks VERY well for style. I consider this a gateway sour. What an unexpected treat!

12-31-2008 12:45:56 | More by IBUnit63
PatandDavid

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

This was tasty...so much so that David and I shared one bottle, then I had one by my self. Too bad it was only available on the premises. Bottle conditioned, unfiltered, cellered on the premises. Mostly brown, but some reddish tints as well. The aroma is awesome, with a promise, of tartness, prickly carbonation, yeastiness and cherries as well. Smooth drinking, but apt carbonation and low tartness. Not overly sweet either. Just really tasty, cherries, mmm.

09-10-2005 16:00:37 | More by PatandDavid
UncleJimbo

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

Sampled at the brewpub. It came in a plain, brown glass 12 oz bottle, uncapped by the bartender, and served with a tulip glass.

This sour ale poured a very cloudy brown color with tan foam that dissipated quickly. The smell was nicely tart with some wild yeast/bacteria aromas, hints of oak, some sour cherry, and a hint of dried fruit (dates). The taste was also nicely tart with wild yeast and bacteria flavors. It was sour up front followed by a tart malt flavor, with a bit musty "barn yard". The mouthfeel was crisp and tart with medium body and modest carbonation. There was a lightly tart lingering aftertaste. This was a very nice and refreshing sour ale, and I enjoyed two bottles with my dinner.

07-11-2005 05:44:04 | More by UncleJimbo
Flanders-ish Funk Reserve from Martha's Exchange
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.