Vengeance Du Gros Homme - Martha's Exchange

No picture uploaded.

Martha's Exchange visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-22-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by barleywinebrewer:
barleywinebrewer

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

I missed the opening night on for this brew, but I am happy I made it back for this. Sampled both cask and regular draft. Reviewing as cask although the biggest difference is the softness of the body on cask. On tap I'd go with a 4. Pitch black in color, dark tan head which laces nicely. Flavors flow with a strong roasted grain / coffee note followed by a biney bitter hop note which melds into a nicely balanced stout. A medium - full bodied brew which drinks almost too easily.

Vengeance Du Gros Homme or revenge of the fat man. Either way, revenge is good. On a side note, not a RIS IMO. Definitely an american stout.

Serving type: cask

01-31-2009 02:43:45 | More by barleywinebrewer
GratefulBeerGuy

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Colaborative efforts are fun!
Poured into an 8 oz. Tulip glass.

Well, this one looks very nice, pitch black with a dark-brown head, a bit thin but it has good retention with plenty of lacy-cover left over.

The aroma is very impressive. Deep, dark chocolate, chalky but sweet smelling. A very good amount of robust, roastieness in the forground with vanilla and peanutbutter currents that ride in with a gentle, but effective heat. The malt complexity is Very high, especially for a local Brewpub! I can only think of one RIS from a brew pub in this area that was nearly as complex, and we have to go all the way to Cambridge Mass to find it's equal. (CBC's YouEnjoymystout) Dank malt with just th right herbal, earthy hop balance. I'm really into RIS's that do not have that big-bitter american hoppy balance, I like my RIS's with a classic English-style approach of Malt first with a gentle hop balance. I don't want the hops blowing my taste buds apart when I drink a big stout. This deliver's that in spades.

The feel is hefty and full but with a zippy middle-body that makes this one even more drinkable. A dry, roastie feel in the finish.

Whoa Martha!!! this is easily my favorite brew from this group, i'm highly impressed, and I'm not easy on big Stouts!

03-14-2009 19:55:44 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
DIM

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a: This was a very dark brown, completely opaque. It poured with a huge cap of dark mocha colored foam.

s: Some dark roasty malts that smelled of coffee and to a lesser extent bready grains. Some warmth to this one and nice grassy hop note.

t: Big flavors of malt roasted almost the point of incineration. Plenty of hops here as well. Combine the two and this tastes like a great cup of coffee. I also tasted some bittersweet chocolate every now and then.

m: The carbonation was creamy and long lasting.

d: RIS? Not quite, but call it what you want I loved this one. Big thanks to barleywinebrewer for sending this my way.

Serving type: growler

02-05-2009 11:47:16 | More by DIM
BeerTrader

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

I just spent some time at Martha's this afternoon to sample some of Greg's latest... and "Revenge of the Fat Man" was first on my list... Ditto what Bierman9 says below in the 1st review....

Kudo's to Greg and Mike (of Salem Beer Works)... a wonderful collaboration!

01-31-2009 01:33:11 | More by BeerTrader
Bierman9

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Another new offering served up by Greg Ouellette at Martha's. This is based on an award-winning recipe from the esteemed Mike Roy. Both Mike and Greg were in da house last night for the offical tapping of Gros Homme, when I had a couple. I stopped in again this afternoon with Alewife for a second go...

Poured into a 12oz tulip glass, the liquid was a dense, deep, dark black. Atop things was a lovely mocha-hued layer of creamy fine bubbles. The head ebbed slowly, leaving a thin layer and very nice lacing. Aromas are of roasty malts along with a significant hop whack. Having my first of this last eve, the hoppiness overwhelmed me, and I really couldn't put my finger on the exact nature of the aroma. Then Greg told me they dry-hopped this (Centennials, I believe he said) and it hit me: this is the same robust nose I have when I dry-hop my homebrew, and ready the liquid for fermentation! It was quite pungent in my first glass last night, but not as noticeable on the remaining glasses I had. Body was a bit more than the standard medium, almost getting chewy (almost). And, it was fairly smooth on the tongue. A solid mouthfeel, all-in-all.

Flavor leads off with a good hit of the dry-hop action, too. Following that initial smack are layers of roasty, bitter malts and some smooth chocolate notes. Mocha and some light espresso come into play as well. Late in the sipping comes more of the hopping, a pleasing, somewhat floral-leaning taste which lingers nicely.

The more I've had of this, the more I like it. I will have to keep an eye on this, and try to have more as it ages, hopefully a month or so, if it lasts.

Good job, Greg and Mike!

Prosit!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | drink: 4.5

01-24-2009 22:44:34 | More by Bierman9
Vengeance Du Gros Homme from Martha's Exchange
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.