Thumbprint Spiced Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: Ri0 on 01-10-2014

Our heady Spiced Ale summons escape from the ordinary. Lavish English and Wisconsin Malts slow brewed caramel goodness into this beefy bronze Strong Ale registering 20 degrees Plato O.G. Aged on Oak in the Open Top Cellar so that Cassia Cinnamon, Ginger and Allspice could be carefully hand stirred into the velvety Toffee notes of this aromatic Spiced Ale. 100% Naturally Bottle fermented to warm the chill from your soul.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.03/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a mostly clean orange with generous three finger head. One the head settles, it leaves behind a coating on the glass. The aroma is, well, spiced... Just like the name implies. Notes of bubblegum, nutmeg, clove and coriander all present with hints of orange and banana in the back. The taste starts with heavy spice which come off a little over the top on the palate. The clove brings a bitterness to the flavor and almost makes it taste medicinal. The finish is more of the same with some sweetness and citrus fruit towards the end. Overall, this one does not work that well for my tastes.

3.06/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Bottle date 358 3 (December 26, 2013).
A: Beautiful ruby red with two fingers of off-white foam. Bubble swirls from the bottom of the glass like a waterspout

S: Nose is of cloves, cardamon and banana bread. Very strong of esters. Thought I had opened a Belgian Strong Ale by mistake.

T: First off, let me say that I'm a HUGE New Glarus fan. I haven't found a New Glarus beer that I wouldn't drink again. Until now. The aroma, although spicy, did not translate to the palate. The taste was almost overwhelmingly one-dimensional, that of banana bread with bitter walnuts. I found absolutely none of the cinnamon that other reviewers found. I used to do coffee tasting for a living, so I have an excellent palate, so from all the other reviews, I expected alot more from this beer, especially a New Glarus Thumbprint. In fact, if I hadn't paid $10.50 for the 4-pack, I would have considered this one a drain pour. I can't remember ever being more disappointed in a brew. If it was only minor issues, I would definitely give it another shot, but it was so disappointing, I doubt I will.

M: Mouthfeel was substantial, with a bit of stickiness. Pretty much what was expected

O: I'm really hoping that I got a bad batch. It was purchased from my usual store, so I'm going to discount the fact that it was mishandled, being less than 100 miles from the brewery, and the distributor being beyond reproach.

Update: I wanted to give this beer the benefit of the doubt, so I picked up another 4-pack. In the meantime, I found an article that included an interview with New Glarus's brewmaster, Dan Carey. He stated that what he was going for, with this Thumbprint, was a beer that tasted like a Wisconsin icon, the brandy old fashioned, with the taste of the bitters and the sweetness of the brandy. In this case, he hit the nail right on the head. Not being an Old Fashioned drinker, I completely missed it. Now that I know what the end result was supposed to be, he nailed it. Kudos to New Glarus, This had to be tough one to nail. It just goes to show the expertise that Dan and his wife must have.

3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

Thanks Jan2! Enjoyed from a new glarus flute.

a - brew poured an amber brown. Great champagne like carbonation with a nice full bubbly head and streaky lacing.

s - nose is odd. Clove, banana, sugar, vedgies and white spicing.

t - much like the nose the tadte is odd. Leads with ginger. Very vedgie with some banana wheat sugar clove toffee and a hint of toastedness like an amber ale with some earthiness.

m - a bit prickly and heavy handed on the sweet

o - overall a tickers gonna tick but is isnt anything i would want more than a bottle of.

3.11/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a clear deep amber with copper highlights and a foamy cream head that lingers.

Aroma is dominated by floral notes, along with ginger, clove, and cinnamon. Unfortunately for me, ginger is overwhelming. There's a bit of candy sweetness and toffee evident.

Flavor reveals cola notes, attributable to the ginger and candi sugar interaction. Not my favorite. Cinnamon and clove are easily detected, as well. There's a fruity malt/ester note underneath.

Body is moderate, with prickly carbonation and noted alcohol warmth.

Not a fan of ginger in my beer, or overly spiced beers, in general. Just not my cup of tea. Spices are way overdone.

3.13/5  rDev -17.6%

Reviewed during the last week when out of service area/Wifi in WY/UT. Full phone notes taken at the Rustic Inn, Jackson, WY.

A- Fairly dark amber pour to a small hotel room glass. A one finger off white cap forms with nice retention and a puffy foamy texture. Thick patches of lace result after each sip.

S- Ginger and allspice seem to be the prevailing aromas in this bottle with cinnamon and malts coming in behind that. Medium caramelized malts, fruits and general spiciness.

T- The spices really open up here and take over with enough ginger, cinnamon and allspice to remind me of a pumpkin ale. Apple fruit esters, raisin, phenolic spice, earthy, vanilla sweetness and caramel malts.

MF- Medium bodied ale with a creamy texture that is slightly chewy. Carbonation really puffs up on thr palate at a medium high level. Spiciness coats the palate in the finish from the ginger and cinnamon.

I know this is a spiced ale but the spices truly are a bit much. The malts and yeast try to balance it out but the added spices feel harsh even compared to Pumpkin Ales.

3.27/5  rDev -13.9%

New Glarus Spiced Ale

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into accompanying New Glarus stemmed glassware. Served chilled.

A) Nice looking amber with good clarity. Bubble trails... A two finger head with good retention and lacing.

S) Cinnamon stick... This has some fruitiness to it. The aroma is a little like an apple cinnamon nut muffin.

T) I prefer the aroma... The spice is a bit much for my liking. Like a pile of potpourri in my mouth. If this was heated up I could see people drinking it like a Christmas wassail. Aftertaste lingers a bit.

M) Medium body with moderate carbonation. Spices coat the mouth.

O) I have no doubt this is a well crafted brew, but it is not doing much for me. Easily my least favorite thumbprint to date.

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance - Medium amber-brown. Hazy. Fairly tall, sudsy, off-white head. Good retention.

Smell - Rich medium-roasted malts. Sweet dark fruit and toffee. A little spiciness - I'm getting mostly ginger - but not especially prominent.

Taste - Rich sweet malts. Mainly toffee and raisin. Spice is more evident in the taste than the aroma. Ginger, again, comes through most prominently, but cinnemon and allspice are also evident. Alcohol seems a little over-prominent. A little cloying. Not sure all the flavors quite work together.

Mouthfeel - Full, creamy, and warming.

Overall - I liked everything about this beer but the flavor. The flavors didn't seem to work as well together as was perhaps envisioned - or maybe it's just not my thing.

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle from the Jan-Feb 2014 Thumbprint release. Poured into a New Glarus pilsner glass today, 1/21/2014 as a post-workout beer.

App- clear, light brown mahogany body. Thick, fluffy tan head that recedes in just the right amount of time allowing the pour to continue. Lots of lacing.

Smell- Spices- clove, ginger and nutmeg, faint cinnamon. Bubblegum. Toffee, caramel sweetness.

Flavour- Bubblegum, cloves, toffee, caramel, some warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel- lighter-medium body, good carbonation, crisp and drying. Alcohol is apparent on the backend, supplemented by the spices that linger.

Overall- not Dan's best creation; I actually like Winter Warmer better. The finish detracts a lot for me, with the alcohol heat mixed in with the spices.

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12-oz bottle to snifter. Pours a clear orange rust color with good amount of white head. The lacing takes some time to dissipate. There's a ring left.

Aroma's reminiscent of a tripel or strong pale, but actually allspice, pumpkin pie spice (which I assume is the cassia), and candied ginger. The latter comes across like a very robust ginger ale. Got a touch of diacetyl - similar to Spotted Cow, actually. Hard to pick up the oak barrels.

The taste is aggressively spicy. Allspice, ginger, burnt caramel, perhaps toffee. Very noticeable alcohol burn, which may come across as unpleasant to some. Moderate carbonation. Accordingly, very syrupy.

3.64/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - The beer poured a golden brown with a slight white head.

Smell - There was a big shock of nutmeg in the aroma, on par with "pumpkin beer" that merely contain the spices of pumpkin pie.

Taste - Well, it certainly tastes like nutmeg. Cinnamon and nutmeg were also very present. The elements of beer are largely masked by the spice. There was a slight metallic taste that fell behind the nutmeg. There was a somewhat sour aspect in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation was modest, with the beer being somewhat thick.

Overall - I am glad that I only purchased one bottle.

3.64/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours amber in color with some slight hues of red and a this white frothy that has decent retention.

Smell is good. Somewhat sweet smelling bready malt with cracker like characters also coming through. A big aroma of pumpkin and nutmeg follows. Some lighter spices come through such as clove cinnamon and cardamon.

Taste has a much bigger spice forward flavor then the nose. Big flavors of clove nutmeg and cinnamon dominate the front have of the brew, some lighter pumpkin flavor settles near the middle of the sip while a sweet cracker malt finishes with a good amount of booze on the exhale.

Mouthfeel is good medium bodied with a hefty amount of carbonation. This keeps it drinkable yet still a great winter sipping brew.

Overall this was a little disappointing but in its defense it's got a lot to live up to being part of the thumbprint series. Spices seemed a little unbalanced and sharp to me but I am no lover of spices to begin with. Everything else I enjoyed.

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an interesting beer....would put it on par with most winter/Xmas ales. The beer pours a rich amber with white head that is leaving a nice lace. The scent is pine, nut meg and cinnamon. The taste follows the scent closely. Themouthfeel is medium in body with decent carbonation. Overall its good....but one is enough for me.

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to rudzud I think, for giving this to me.

Pours a decent creamy 1 finger head that fades at a med to slower pace, decent lacing, mostly clear rosy reddish orange beer.

Nose has an apple tea mulling spice like aroma, some fair spices, cinnamon, clove, allspice, cardamom, etc, as well as some apple cider like notes, a creamy like almost diacetyl thing, the more I smell the more I get buttery oak, toasted oak as well. That's actually about it.

Taste brings more spices, big cinnamon right out front, clove, allspice, cardamom, etc, lots of mulling spices. Then into apple cider again, a little tart apple note, a touch of acidity I think too. then into heat, some spices nice cinnamon heat as well as pepper like heat but that could all be from the cinnamon, etc. A touch of sweetness, syrupy caramel and toffee like, etc, and a little tingly booez. Then a faint toasted buttery oak. Also a bit of ginger in the center, etc. Finish is sticky sryupy sweet, a bit more ginger and cinnamon heat, as well as mulling spices, little more apple cider, and sweet syrupy caramel candies, and some warming booze on the back end.

Mouth is med to a bit bigger bod, little syrupy, lots of carbonation, a little tingly heat.

Overall decent, I do like the mulling spices and ginger, etc, apple notes are interesting as well but not great, oak is an interesting addition, booze kicks in a bit.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into an oversized tulip.

A - Brilliant clarity to the copper beer. Tall off-white head. Spotty lacing.

S - Big clove notes are the most evident, cinnamon. Cherry cough drops. Banana runts. Phenolic.

T - Toasty malts are crammed underneath phenolic yeasty flavors. Comes across here even more like cherry cough drops. Shows sweetness the whole way but has a bit of bitterness. Finishes relatively clean after all the yeast flavors throughout. Shows a breath of alcohol.

M - Medium-full body, medium-high carbonation, semi-sweet.

O - Reminiscent of many dubbels with an obvious cinnamon spice. Tons of character, fresh and bright. Seems that the yeast is so definitive that it drowns out some malt and spice.

Recommendation - Truly unique and worth a try as with almost every thumbprint beer release.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with red foil-ed over green/gold branded pry-off pressure cap acquired in a trade with my long-time trade partner Duff27 and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, TX. Expectations are sky-high given the brewery, whose work I love. Reviewed live. Reviewed as a spiced ale because the label and name identify it clearly as such.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of white colour. Decent thickness and creaminess. Okay complexion. Okay consistency. Head retention is quite good - about 8+ minutes. Little lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a clear translucent copper of above average vibrance. No yeast particles/sediment is visible; it's quite clean. Good clarity.

Overall, it's a pretty good looking beer that I'm excited to try. While not unique or special, it doesn't have any overt flaws.

Sm: I'm immediately assaulted by spices and herbs. Ginger, mint, evergreen, spruce, coriander, and allspice are the most prominent. I have trouble finding any cinnamon. There's also plenty of honey, light oak wood, pale malts, clean barley, and English malts. The spruce/evergreen/oak/wood notes are easily the highlight here. I also pick up some light bready notes - banana bread? Hopwise, I get some vague fruity and floral character which works well with the malts. It's got just about the perfect amount of residual sugars based on the aroma.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

A very inviting and pleasant aroma of above average strength. Surprisingly, it's more herbal than spicy.

T: Oh wow. Fantastic balance. The spices and herbs (all mentioned above) work fantastically with the honey and English malt base. The subtle floral hop character plays well with the malts. The woody (spruce/oak/evergreen) notes aren't as prominent here as they are in the aroma, but damn do they work well. I'm not finding the cinnamon here, but I do pick up on some caramel as well as the ginger and allspice. Maybe coriander too. The aroma evoked banana bread but I can't find it here.

The balance is incredible. The build is extremely cohesive, but not quite gestalt. It incorporates a ton of complex flavours and nuances, and is pretty intricate for a spiced ale. Above average depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour. There's a lot of flavour here and all of the notes work together to form an impressive and enjoyable whole. I'm really liking this beer.

I will say that it has some American malts that dilute its otherwise English character - and however it's accomplishing that, I like it. I can't tell what kind of malts they used, but the malt selection is damn near perfect.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Perfectly carbonated. Great body and thickness. It's got an ideal weight on the palate for the flavour profile. In fact, I'd say this texture feels custom-tailored to the taste. While not perfect, it's a damn good complement to the flavour profile and helps coax out the nuances of the taste. Great presence on the palate. It has a nice softness.

Not astringent, gushed, oily, hot, or boozy.

Dr: More great work from New Glarus. Easily the best spiced beer I've had in recent memory. I'd easily recommend this to friends and trade partners and I'd absolutely get it again - preferably by the 6 pack. It's a fantastic brew for almost any season and I can't see why anyone would dislike it. I'm really glad I got to try this, so huge thanks to Duff27. Just a damn solid brew from one of the best institutions in the business. The thumbprint series continues to blow me away.

To nitpick, more of an oak presence would really round out this beer.

High B

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a large layer of fluffy beige tan head. Color is a clear gold hued copper.

Flavor profile: Brown sugar, toffee, caramel, cinnamon, ginger, and other spices I probably have never heard of. It has a dried cherry flavor and a some biscuity malts. I am also picking up some raisin notes.

Mouthfeel: Kind of dry. Light to medium bodied. Good carbonation. Ends fairly clean, but some of the spices linger around.

Overall, for this being a spiced beer it was fairly enjoyable. I had no idea it was 8.8% as you really can't taste it. Half a bottle would be enough for me on this one.

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served in a tumbler.

Aw, it looks like VDubb and the Mrs. were thinking of me in Wisconsin, 'cause they brought me a bottle o' this. Good people. It pours a clear ruby-garnet topped by a finger or so of rich khaki foam. The nose comprises allspice, toasted caramel, light French toast, and a touch of dark greens. The taste brings in more of the same, with an emphasis on the caramel, but plenty o' spice breaks on through, especially cinnamon, ginger, light black pepper, and mace. The body is a stolid medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fairly smooth feel. Overall, a solid brew, if a touch one-dimensional with the heavy spicing. I'd have another if given the opportunity.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

"Spiced ale" can go a lot of different directions. But when the sensible nature of New Glarus decides to embark upon the trend, the mind, palate and spirit begins to anticipate the quintessential essence of balance, intrigue and surprise to occur.

And the ambiguous "spiced" ale delivers upon such promises as its beautiful mahogany pour unleashes a short-lived ecru head that pops at every opportunity to reward the nose with nutmeg, clove, ginger and a stern tilt toward cinnamon.

Its beautiful allspice medley remains cinnamon balanced while its undertow of toffee, biscuit and cashew suggest English tendencies while brown sugar and french-toast begin to seep into the palate. Shy of fruitcake, a rummy sweetness and spiciness eludes to what's to be expected in finish.

As the taste slowly recedes, its finish is warm, spicy and pleasantly numbing. Trying to capture the taste and texture of spiced rum, the ale takes a spice-forward demeanor in closure while those maple echoes return to reward the tastebuds with echoes after echoes.

3.8/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A. Nice looking faint orange/crimson/amber appearance with a long lasting two finger white head. Gives off a lot of carbonation bubbles.

S. Lots of baking spice - reminds me of something you'd serve around Christmas time. Ginger, clove, caramel, banana, bready malt. Pretty nice.

T. Falls a bit short in the taste department - ginger, clove and a hint of cherry carry over to the palate. Has a slight hop bite on the back end to keep the sweetness in check. Interesting flavors for a beer.

M. Nice feel to this beer - medium to medium plus body and good creaminess.

O. This is a well made beer but doesn't excite me from a taste standpoint. Worth a try - your mileage may vary.

3.81/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Another extra from one of my favorite traders. I've thoroughly enjoyed previous New Glarus experiences. Hope this continues the trend... 12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A- Aggressive head as this pours. Great lacing as the head recedes. Deep gold in color. This beer looks quite inviting.

S- Quite reminiscent of a Belgian tripel, though, without the aroma of the distinct Belgian yest. The spice is evident. Overripe apples with cinnamon and a hint of caramel. Very cider-like, though much heavier. A trace of booze reveals itself.

T- More of the same on the flavor... It's as if someone left a caramel apple out in the sun for a day and sprinkled it with some sweet spices. Mouthfeel and syrupy sweetness is, again, reminiscent of a tripel.

M- Medium, moderately syrupy mouthfeel paired with a good amount of carb. Not supremely enjoyable, but it's by no means offensive. Sugary sweetness coats the tongue.

O- This was an enjoyable beer. Not earth-shattering, by any means. I can see this being a good autumn beer. A bit too much for me right now, and I long for some better integration of the flavors. Still, this is good beer.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

pours amber and gold with a nice retentive two fingers of white head. rings on the glass with each sip.

cinnamon, raisin bran, horchata smells. really good

clean dry mouth feel with a malty aftertaste.

lots of spices, strong cinnamon flavor like a atomic fire ball, or big red gum. it is very sweet reminds me of a ginger snap.

this beer is kinda weird, but i tried to enjoy it and i did. I had it with spicy food and it was a perfect pairing. I would buy this if i was making Mexican food for some one.

and pick up some tapatio hot sauce too.

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Received as an extra in a trade and poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice lightly hazy dark amber/copper hue with a one finger super faint tan head that fades to leave a thin, creamy blanket and no real side lacing.

S - Aromas of apples, cinnamon stick, allspice, faint ginger, faint oak.

T - Taste is rather boozy, faint cinnamon stick, allspice, and ginger. The apples are very faint too. It is rather potpourri with big toffee notes. This is definitely a strong ale, heavy emphasis on the strong side.

M - Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, which keeps it light on the tongue, but, still is a sipper.

O - Overall this was a fun, aromatic beer. I think it might benefit from some aging to let that alcohol die down some.

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle poured into tulip glass.

A: Pours a light brown in color with a little bit of a golden hue. Has a finger of white head that reduces fairly slowly and leaves a few lines of lacing. Head reduces to a thin layer with a collar around the glass.
S: All spice and banana. Not a whole lot else going on here.
T: Just like the aroma, there's a ton of spice and banana coming through.
M: Carb level feels a bit high, aftertaste is only slightly dry.
O: This is a very enjoyable beer. The aroma and flavor are unique, and something I'm glad to have experienced.

3.89/5  rDev +2.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a tulip glass. Purchased from Metcalfes in Madison, WI yesterday.

Deep redish brown color and slightly opaque. Thick head that receded in a moderate amount of time. Minimal lacing after the initial pour.

Getting over a cold, so my olfactory sense is limited. Smells like winter in the Midwest should. Nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves. Kind of like a good spiced cider only not as overpowering.

Flavors are subtle for a spiced beer. Nicely balanced. Not cloying like some spiced beers. Alcohol is hidden well.

Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is moderate.

Overall very good for a spiced winter type of beer, which I'm not a big fan of in general. Kept a sweetness to a minimum, which I appreciate in this style.

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I don't have many spiced ales to compare this to, but the others that I did try ended up with the beer gods. Not my favorite style by any means, nor will it probably ever be. However, this is a manageable spiced ale to consume.
A- Looks very similarly to a lager with a small head that persists throughout the beer.
S- Holy smell. Smells like the best foreign dessert your mother could possibly make...and then mixed with beer!
T- Again, not very fond of this style in general. It seems as though the spices added outweigh the profile of the hops and malts present in the beer. For me this is a very weird concoction that sounds good in theory but doesn't deliver in product.
M- Very lasting mouthfeel to the beer. Equatable to a very heavy lager in mouthfeel.
O- Maybe if it was Christmas and only Christmas, that time of year when the weather is below freezing (to include you non frozen states) and you are desperately searching for something to provide you a bit of warmth, this beer will fulfill its purpose. Otherwise, if you live in southern Texas and seek out this beer, you should think otherwise. This may in fact be the first beer from New Glarus that I will not purchase again based off of my own preferences (and that is saying alot being I have had >90% of their beers)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast