Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 959 | Hads: 3,224

Brought this back from a recent trip from WI. What a great gem!
A: Pours a light burgundy. A good 1/2 inch head that dissipates into a tight lacing.
S: Wonderful cherries.
T: Wow, you forget that you're drinking an ale. It's sweet, but not overly sweet. This would be a great desert beverage.
M: Medium-high carbonation makes this go down smooth, almost like champagne.
D: Highly drinkable.
All in all, you must get this beer. Great job, Mr. Carey.

Appearance: Pours a red/pink color with a film of a white head. Just looks like a fruit beer.

Smell: Smells of straight up sweet cherries and tartness. So inviting.

Taste - Taste mirrors the nose. Not too sweet. Not too syrupy. Just perfect.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel.

Overall: One of the best fruit beers I've ever had. Just right. If I traded, this, Raspberry Tart and Serendipity would be on my permanent ISO list. I could drink this every day.

Pours a nice, white-red head with good persistence. A wonderful aroma of yeasty wood and cherries. GLORIOUS, radiant crimson color. Flavor is tart and BURSTING with cherry flavor. Near the end, that yeasty-woody aspect makes an appearance.

Jesus, this is glorious. Still my favorite New Glarus Lambic of them all. The cherry flavor is bold and delicious, and I don't really like cherries that much...which says a lot.

Reddish brown color, hazy. Small to no head. Aroma is cherry and malt. WOW.. AND I DO MEAN WOW!! I had this beer several years ago, and while I had no notes on it. It tastes exactly the way I remembered it. Medium bodied. Intense cherry flavor, sweet, sour and tart. There is some malt sweetness as well as hop spiciness as well. Complex and intense flavors. Extremely smooth. Not very beer like, closest style might be a lambic?? But, who cares it tastes amazing. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is clean and sweet. World class beer.

My 100th review had to be something special. Fortunately, an award winning, unique and local ale can be had in New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red. It was hard waiting to review this spectacular offering, but the time has finally arrived...

Belgian Red comes in a 750 ml green bottle with red wax dripped over the cap and top of the neck. I grabbed a brandy snifter and began pouring it into the glass. The color is a clouded, tawny red with a thin light-pink head. The aroma consists of sweet cherries and oak. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and crisp from the carbonation. Initial taste is of sweet cherries followed by a tartness that balances out the initial sweetness. This never-ending act of sweet & sour tartness is played out to perfection as both of the oppossite flavors are kept in check by each other somehow in an ideal balance. Pleasant carbonation hits the middle of the tongue. Belgian Red retains the earthy and wood flavors of the oaken casks that were used to age this ale followed by a mild tartness in the finish.

This is the perfect beer to replace wine at the dinner table with Thanksgiving Turkey. Or great to share with a loved one on Valentine's Day. Wisconsin Belgian Red is an ale that's meant to be savored and enjoyed. Perfect for special occasions, and holidays, yet it's great beer to have on hand and serve anytime.

Bottle gotten via a trade with JeffKrenner

A: Poured a bright reddish with brown hues. 1 inch pink head that went down to lacing after a couple minutes.

S: Smells like fresh cherry pie.

T: Taste is simply amazing. Cherries, sour cherries, and umm cherries. As it warms up a nice chocolate taste starts coming through that took me awhile to nail down, but I thought it was tootsie roll flavored. Man thats a nice combo.

M: Smooth, very full and kinda tart which really brought everything together.

D: Quite probably the most enjoyable beer I have had to date. Gave my parents a try and neither of them who really cares for beer both said that 1 they would go out and buy. I know if I ever get the chance to get more of this, I will stock up. This beer is a must try for anyone especially if you enjoy cherries.

I have been really trying lately to not rate beers all 5. This beer is unlike anything I have ever tried. Pours a murky red with a nice sized slightly pink head amazing lacing. Smell is nothing but cherries and cranberries. Taste is a nice tart cherry which mellows down to a great fruit taste. Mouthfeel and carbonation are wonderful. Could drink this stuff by the truckload. Overall one of the best beers I have ever tried.

This beer is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries (Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle) Wisconsin Farmed Wheat and Belgian Roasted Barleys, lagered in oak tanks and balanced by Hallertau hops we aged in our brewery one full year.

Appearance: ruby red small foam and almost no lacing

Smell: Cherry aroma sweet and malty

Taste: This is what cherries aspire to be a part of! Wonderful cherry beer, differant then a Kriek but almost a cherry soda

Mouthfeel: smooth cherry coated after taste vey pleasant

Overall: this beer is world class, smooth and tasty.

I would love to see such a beer at 8% ABV, as a strong fruit ale

it's my seven year BA anniversary today and i've been sitting on this bottle for almost a year, so i find it appropriate to toast this day with a special brew.

WBR pours out of the 25 ounce bottle a cherry red infused dark bronze colour, with a magnificent cream to tan head that seems to want to stay. plenty of lace to be had, also. the aroma is a deftly balanced mixture of delicious tart cherries and sweet maltiness, with an oaken note from the aging in oak vats. the taste is sublime! it's cherry centric, but with enough of a malt backbone to come across as beery and balanced. definitely tart, and a touch yeasty, too. there are wheat malt nuances and a grainy/grassy flavour from the hopping i suppose...and a slight bitterness that never asserts itself in any way. this is by far the best tasting fruit beer i've had the pleasure of quaffing. the mouthfeel is alive and spritzy, holding up all that fantastic cherry goodness, complimenting the full body and robust nature. drinkability is spectacular...WBR never comes off as cloying or artificial, just delicious and satisfying in a way i've never experienced before. FANTASTIC.

highly recommended. about as perfect a brew as one can think of. it's more than a fruit beer; it's the nectar of the beer gods.

This is the perfect fruit beer. Bursting with fresh fruit flavor with a slight tartness from the cherries. I would gladly drink this every day of the year.

A - Vibrant ruby red color. Big head that has a slightly red hue, too. A bit cloudy.

S - No doubt, the BEST aroma on any fruit beer... maybe ANY beer I've had! If I didn't know better, I would guess my glass holds a bunch of crushed cherries. Like a sweet cherry pie filling.

T - Again, very fresh, authentic cherries dominate the flavor, but a distinct white grape juice flavor comes through. More sour than tart, if there is a difference (I think so). An awesome sort of candy sugariness that is fantastic. The complexity and depth of this beer is unbelievable!

M/D - Medium carbonation and body. The taste lingers with you and gives you time to think about it for a minute or longer after having it. One of two perfect beers I have ever had. I need more Wisconsin Belgian Red!

Huge thanks to Lordsloth for including this in the Virgin BIF and knocking a Want off my list..

The wife and I enjoyed this one while having some of her homemade cheesecake on Father's Day..

Poured into a champagne flute...

Pours out a murky reddish brown that forms a smallish eggshell head....barleywine like in color...

Delicious fruity aroma of fresh hand picked cherries that have been crushed into some sort of compote... It smells vaguely sweet but not overly so... This really smells delicious...

This is just a masterfully crafted brew here... Its loaded with delicious cherry flavor but at the same time maintains its integrity by not being overly sweet or cloying... It partners perfectly with the cheesecake that I'm having... I don't know what they could have done to improve upon this (except distribute it in Tennessee!!). I've had the Raspberry Tart and it was good but this is on another level. I place this brew up there with the truly elite ones that I've had. Simply a masterpiece..

This is one of those brews that you savor, enjoy... and rue over when its gone. I have got to trade for more of this... Its too good not to have more of...

4.97/5  rDev +14%

A: BR has an opaque ruby red color upon pouring with a hint of brown hue to it when held to the light. Little to no head when poured into a champagne flute (poured during a celebration immediately following Dom Perignon... hopefully that doesnt mess with my review... haha)

S: one word: CHERRIES. the strong smell of cherries blasts the olfactory senses, invoking thoughts of a Wisconsin summer on a lake.

T: an explosion of cherries tingles the tongue while emitting undertones of beer and wine with a champagne finish.

MF/D: an intensely fruity beer with the smoothest carbonation possible (considering how much it has). not a fruit beer kind of guy, but i could practically be content with a case of this for the night.

4.97/5  rDev +14%

This is easily on my top 5 beers tried and I have had around 32 of the top 100. This is my 3rd bottle that I have drank and I'm finally starting to review the beers I drink.

Poured into a lindemans flute glass. Pours a nice looking bright red color with almost no head.

Smells of straight sweet and tart cherries. Smells amazing.

Taste just punches you in the face with how much cherry flavor is in here. So good with the sweetness and tartness balanced well.

Mouthfeel is great with a nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is very high with me though I have been told by friends that they could not drink alot if this because of the sweetness. But for me I could drink the whole 750ml bottle. I stocked up on this after my first taste. Awesome brew that everyone should seek out. Can see the ladies liken this one...

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Mahogony/cherrywood color...bubbly lace...smells of cherries(surprise)..great aroma...heavy cherry taste with a hint of brown sugar..tart finish...if you want a fruit flavored beer this is it..a CLASSIC....nice carbonation keeps from tasting syrupy.

750 mL bottle, shared by kbm,

A: Pours a medium vermillion red, with a light fizzy off-white head, nice colour.

S: Baked cherry pie, that sums it up. A beautiful fragance.

T: A lot more cherry pie, cherries soaking in maple syrup is another way to describe it. Notes of graham cracker in the finish and sugar. A completely real cherry flavour. I'd describe the sugar level as off-sweet/demi sec for a wine term.

M: Soft carbonation, light-bodied. Very easy going on the palate and so drinkable.

D: This is the best fruit beer I've ever had. I could drink this forever if it wasn't so rare. New Glarus took the time and fermented real cherries and it shows in the taste, there's just no substitute for the real thing. With all the artificial flavour out there in the fruit beers today, you've got to look to New Glarus for the best. If I ever get to Wisconsin I'm buying a case of this stuff, and I've never bought a case of anything in my life. I've been wanting to try this forever, and it did not disappoint. Wow!

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Bottle at the GABF. I feel so lucky to have tried this beer. Poured a dark red color, with a thick creamy reddish head. Smelled sweet of cherry, tart cherries not sweet ones. Tasted just like cherry pie, not overly sweet and sticky though, just the actual taste of cherry pie. Probably one of the best beers I've ever had, and it makes me sad everyday that Colorado can't get it.

4.97/5  rDev +14%

64 oz. Half Acre Growler shared with friends - I enjoyed the lion's share from a Duvel tulip. This particular growler was a replacement for one that fell prey to a delivery exception, and the box in which it came provided me with enough packing material for untold future trades.

The carbonation of this five-day-old growler is absolutely phenomenal. An audible burst of air upon unscrewing the cap! This pours a gorgeous, deep dark ruby shade, with stunning clarity. A 1.5-finger cherry-tinted white head has very tight bubbles and fantastic retention. Moderate lacing as well.

I will never tire of smelling this beer. Pure, unadulterated cherries. The fruit is so crisp and pure. This seems sweeter than the bottled version, as if some subtle vanilla crept in.

That wonderful cherry tartness really comes through in the taste. One of the truly unique things about this beer is the "natural" taste of the fruit addition: in this case, the cherries impart a wonderful sourness in perfect balance with the sweetness present. This is such a light and wonderful beer, but the taste is really huge - cherries coat the palate with every sip.

The mouthfeel of this growler is actually unreal. The carbonation is flawless, the mouthfeel lush but just so spot on. I was so sad to see this growler go, but it was so worth it.

Better than the bottle? Very possible, though absence does make the heart grow fonder. I’m totally enamored of this beer, and actually can't fathom that there's a better representation of the style. Forever ISO this work of art.

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

poured from 750ml bottle into a New Glarus flute glass.

A - Astounding ruby red beer. Heavy carbonation, but not much head retention. Super nice looking liquid!

S - Cherry pie, maraschino cherries, a bit of cinnamon and other spice. Extremely delectable aroma.

T - Goddamn!!! Cherry pulp, cherry pie, apple, cinnamon, spices. It tastes like diving right in to a cherry pie! This is a godly fruit beer. Up there with the likes of even Serendipity!

M - Typical New Glarus fruit beer. Very high carbonation, but ties the whole brew together and makes it pop on the palate.

O - Much like the rest of New Glarus' fruit beer lineup; I am blown away. This might be tied with the deliciousness that is Serendipity. I am a huge sucker for cherries, and this beer is no exception. I am so glad to have finally tried this!

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Luscious cranberry-like red hue. Unbelievable aroma. Great cranberry/vanilla sweet smell with quite a bit of cherry too. It's a sweet aroma, but not a malty sweet aroma. Fruity sweet. The taste is exceptional. Woody, vinous, dry and of course, loads of cherry. This is one of my all-time favorites and it never fails. Every time I have had this, it has been exceptional. A true classic.

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Wow. This was good. Poured from a champagne bottle; it has a garnet color with a small slightly pinkish head. The beer is light in carbonation although this meshes well with the sour and sweet tastes that are imparted from the cherries. Has a tremendous and complex cherry taste. This bottle was gone way too fast.

4.94/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a tulip. Thanks to alcstradamus for this one.

4.0 A: Murky amber red color sort of how dried blood looks. Two fingers of frothy white head with average retention and some lacing.

5.0 S: Holy shit, the cherries. I just had the Raspberry Tart and this is pretty much the same aroma, but with cherries. Cherries, cherries, cherries! Nothing but cherries. The cherries block out everything else. I didn't give the Tart a 5 on the nose, because I appreciate complexity, but i can't not give this a 5 because it's so damn enticing.

5.0 T: Again, the cherries dominate the hell out of this beer, but it doesn't matter. It's so damn tasty. Cherries are mainly sweet, like maraschino cherries, but not in a fake way. There's a subtle tartness that balances the sweetness well. Like the Tart, there isn't any malt or hops to talk about, but I'm sure they do their part in the background.

5.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation is spritzy and dances on the tongue. Super smooth.

5.0 D: I need more of these fruit twins. This is the PERFECT dessert beer for both beer aficianados and BMC guzzlers alike. I'm both sad and disgusted that I only have one bottle left.

4.94/5  rDev +13.3%

Deep garnet pour with a light pinkish head that leaves very little lace. Head retains nicely for a fruit beer.

Aroma is pure, incredibly fresh, beautiful cherries. Fresh, plump, and sweet. My mouth is watering just writing this review. There are hints of other dark fruit and a hint of vanilla.

Flavor is like drowning in fresh cherries. So juicey and real, perfectly tart and sweet. Flavors of cherry pie and subtle almond. If fresh cherries only tasted this good. Perfect and impossible to put down the glass. I want to quit my job and drink this for a living.

Body is medium and slick with juice. Just the right amount of carbonation. I could drink gallons of this beautiful example of beer.

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured a red-brown color with white head that had little lacing. Smell is of tart cherries. Taste is full of cherries, very tart, as it warms it even started to taste like a cherry cobbler with a bit of yeasty breadlike flavors coming through. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a medium carbonation. Beer was quite drinkable, and I can't wait to have more.

Edited from: 4.5, 4, 5, 4, 4

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer pours a murky, dark red color. It has a thin light tan head with a nice red tint to it. The head fades quickly, leaving a lot of lacing.

This beer has a sweet cherry aroma. It smells great. It has a slightly tart sour aroma also. It smells very sweet, but not overwhelmingly so.

This beer tastes just like it smells. Very sweet, with a great tart cherry flavor. Not much flavor other than tart, sweet cherries.

This beer leaves a tart cherry aftertaste. The carbonation is high, fitting the beer well.

This beer would probably make a good session beer. It is low in alcohol, and it tastes great.

Overall: Wow, thanks HimerMan for a great beer. I love it, and so does MrsOStrungT. I would always have a bottle of this if I had access to it. The only problem is that it might just be a bit too sweet.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company