2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

Ratings: 2051

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,051 | Reviews: 886 | Show All Ratings:
Halcyondays

750 mL bottle, shared by kbm,

A: Pours a medium vermillion red, with a light fizzy off-white head, nice colour.

S: Baked cherry pie, that sums it up. A beautiful fragance.

T: A lot more cherry pie, cherries soaking in maple syrup is another way to describe it. Notes of graham cracker in the finish and sugar. A completely real cherry flavour. I'd describe the sugar level as off-sweet/demi sec for a wine term.

M: Soft carbonation, light-bodied. Very easy going on the palate and so drinkable.

D: This is the best fruit beer I've ever had. I could drink this forever if it wasn't so rare. New Glarus took the time and fermented real cherries and it shows in the taste, there's just no substitute for the real thing. With all the artificial flavour out there in the fruit beers today, you've got to look to New Glarus for the best. If I ever get to Wisconsin I'm buying a case of this stuff, and I've never bought a case of anything in my life. I've been wanting to try this forever, and it did not disappoint. Wow!

09-06-2009 20:20:35 | More by Halcyondays
newk340

Wisconsin

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

A: BR has an opaque ruby red color upon pouring with a hint of brown hue to it when held to the light. Little to no head when poured into a champagne flute (poured during a celebration immediately following Dom Perignon... hopefully that doesnt mess with my review... haha)

S: one word: CHERRIES. the strong smell of cherries blasts the olfactory senses, invoking thoughts of a Wisconsin summer on a lake.

T: an explosion of cherries tingles the tongue while emitting undertones of beer and wine with a champagne finish.

MF/D: an intensely fruity beer with the smoothest carbonation possible (considering how much it has). not a fruit beer kind of guy, but i could practically be content with a case of this for the night.

07-04-2010 07:44:32 | More by newk340
amphion1065

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

64 oz. Half Acre Growler shared with friends - I enjoyed the lion's share from a Duvel tulip. This particular growler was a replacement for one that fell prey to a delivery exception, and the box in which it came provided me with enough packing material for untold future trades.

The carbonation of this five-day-old growler is absolutely phenomenal. An audible burst of air upon unscrewing the cap! This pours a gorgeous, deep dark ruby shade, with stunning clarity. A 1.5-finger cherry-tinted white head has very tight bubbles and fantastic retention. Moderate lacing as well.

I will never tire of smelling this beer. Pure, unadulterated cherries. The fruit is so crisp and pure. This seems sweeter than the bottled version, as if some subtle vanilla crept in.

That wonderful cherry tartness really comes through in the taste. One of the truly unique things about this beer is the "natural" taste of the fruit addition: in this case, the cherries impart a wonderful sourness in perfect balance with the sweetness present. This is such a light and wonderful beer, but the taste is really huge - cherries coat the palate with every sip.

The mouthfeel of this growler is actually unreal. The carbonation is flawless, the mouthfeel lush but just so spot on. I was so sad to see this growler go, but it was so worth it.

Better than the bottle? Very possible, though absence does make the heart grow fonder. I’m totally enamored of this beer, and actually can't fathom that there's a better representation of the style. Forever ISO this work of art.

Serving type: growler

10-29-2011 12:48:05 | More by amphion1065
Bighuge

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Luscious cranberry-like red hue. Unbelievable aroma. Great cranberry/vanilla sweet smell with quite a bit of cherry too. It's a sweet aroma, but not a malty sweet aroma. Fruity sweet. The taste is exceptional. Woody, vinous, dry and of course, loads of cherry. This is one of my all-time favorites and it never fails. Every time I have had this, it has been exceptional. A true classic.

04-21-2002 19:57:22 | More by Bighuge
AlexJ

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Deep garnet pour with a light pinkish head that leaves very little lace. Head retains nicely for a fruit beer.

Aroma is pure, incredibly fresh, beautiful cherries. Fresh, plump, and sweet. My mouth is watering just writing this review. There are hints of other dark fruit and a hint of vanilla.

Flavor is like drowning in fresh cherries. So juicey and real, perfectly tart and sweet. Flavors of cherry pie and subtle almond. If fresh cherries only tasted this good. Perfect and impossible to put down the glass. I want to quit my job and drink this for a living.

Body is medium and slick with juice. Just the right amount of carbonation. I could drink gallons of this beautiful example of beer.

12-19-2007 22:32:21 | More by AlexJ
Atricapilla

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Wow. This was good. Poured from a champagne bottle; it has a garnet color with a small slightly pinkish head. The beer is light in carbonation although this meshes well with the sour and sweet tastes that are imparted from the cherries. Has a tremendous and complex cherry taste. This bottle was gone way too fast.

01-04-2008 05:22:24 | More by Atricapilla
DavoleBomb

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a tulip. Thanks to alcstradamus for this one.

4.0 A: Murky amber red color sort of how dried blood looks. Two fingers of frothy white head with average retention and some lacing.

5.0 S: Holy shit, the cherries. I just had the Raspberry Tart and this is pretty much the same aroma, but with cherries. Cherries, cherries, cherries! Nothing but cherries. The cherries block out everything else. I didn't give the Tart a 5 on the nose, because I appreciate complexity, but i can't not give this a 5 because it's so damn enticing.

5.0 T: Again, the cherries dominate the hell out of this beer, but it doesn't matter. It's so damn tasty. Cherries are mainly sweet, like maraschino cherries, but not in a fake way. There's a subtle tartness that balances the sweetness well. Like the Tart, there isn't any malt or hops to talk about, but I'm sure they do their part in the background.

5.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation is spritzy and dances on the tongue. Super smooth.

5.0 D: I need more of these fruit twins. This is the PERFECT dessert beer for both beer aficianados and BMC guzzlers alike. I'm both sad and disgusted that I only have one bottle left.

05-02-2010 06:26:53 | More by DavoleBomb
comat0se

Colorado

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

I love this beer! First you have to consider the elegant packaging... the green 750ml bottle, the red wax, even the label is classy. Then you pour... aroma is a blast of fresh pie cherries. And the color, a hazy beautiful dark pink-red complete with a light pink head which fades quickly. Taste is a refreshing, sweet-tart, complex sour, acetic, cherry flavor. Not for amateurs! My friend and girlfriend didn't really care for it and they gave me theirs. She said the tartness and carbonation reminded her of the inside of Zots candy. More for me! Just one drop of this beer is loaded with flavors. Medium body with a medium, brisk, carbonation accentuating the tartness. I look forward to trying it again at the GABF.

05-16-2003 16:10:52 | More by comat0se
ManekiNeko

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

750 mL bottle served chilled in a Lindemann's flute.

Appearance: Cloudy reddish brown colored liquid (almost like a Snapple or something) topped by a tall pinkish head that shrinks to a small layer of foam after a few minutes. Delicate and small sheets of lacing are left on the glass.

Smell: Funky sour cherries fill the nostrils and don't let go. Some oaky notes and a wee bit of horse blanket, too. Guess there be some brettanomyces action here.

Taste: Intensely sweet and tart cherries explode in the mouth. Very ripe and bursting with juice, this ain't no alcoholic version of Luden's Cherry Cough Drops, but the real deal. God-honest natural cherry flava. Hot Damn!

Mouthfeel: Quite puckering from th high acidity, sweetness, and tartness. Incredibly light in body and very refreshing. It's a mite too acidic, though. Perhaps I should have had something to eat with this.

Drinkability: My first, and hopefully not last, beer from New Glarus. This is an exquisite beer that reminds me of some chimera of Cantillon and Lindemann's lambics. It's got some of the funkiness I associate with Cantillon, but the mass appeal and sweetness of Lindemann's. I could drink this with abandon. I betcha this would go great with some plain cheesecake or a chocolatey dessert.

Huge thanks to tavernjef for the trade.

02-22-2004 04:53:44 | More by ManekiNeko
ncbrewerbun

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Wow. Everytime I have this beer I just have to savor it. (Especially since it's so tough to get for a North Carolinian!!) Special occasions...like Thanksgiving...are great times to break one of these out.

Sorry I had to give this a relatively low score in appearance, but this bottle poured a very hazy rusty red, but still had the nice pink head. I think I may have jostled the beer a bit before pouring it.
edit --> after trying two other bottles of this beer, I have to raise my appearance score. They have looked clear and very inviting.

The aroma is pure cherries. Pounds of cherries. Fresh cherries. Very clean.

The taste is what makes this beer. Sip and experience this; don't simply drink it. The cherries come through and the yeast adds a complexity along with a slight sourness.

Light and enjoyable, some effervesence.

A truly enjoyable beer. If you know about lambics and belgian beers, you'll appreciate this all the more. I wish I had another bottle!

11-26-2004 22:23:16 | More by ncbrewerbun
badbeer

Iowa

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured a red-brown color with white head that had little lacing. Smell is of tart cherries. Taste is full of cherries, very tart, as it warms it even started to taste like a cherry cobbler with a bit of yeasty breadlike flavors coming through. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a medium carbonation. Beer was quite drinkable, and I can't wait to have more.

Edited from: 4.5, 4, 5, 4, 4

01-23-2006 00:16:27 | More by badbeer
BigDaddyWil

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Huge thanks to bennetj17 for the beer trade.
Poured from a 750ml bottle into a oversized wine glass.
Sampled bottle with fellow BA nisjer05.

Amazing beer!!!! Bright hazy, reddish color, very small white head. Lots of carbonation, very little lacing. Looks like some kind of fruit juice. Fantastic smell!!! Smells exactly like fresh cherry pie filling. Yummy!! I can't believe this is beer! Very sweet and tart, a true pleasure to drink. Light and slightly fizzy mouthfeel. My first offering from New Glarus, and the best fruit I've tried so far. Only available in Wisconsin, so do whatever it takes to get this beer. You will not be disappointed.

03-23-2006 02:20:28 | More by BigDaddyWil
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

thanks to nflmvp for this bottle;

A - as expected this ale pours a rich red color with a reddish tinted head, looks a shade like cranberry juice

S - wow, could smell the cherries immediately after the cap pop, before it was even off the bottle, and what an aroma! like fresh sweet cherries right off the tree, not that cherry cough syrup aroma either, real cherries, not even the sweetened but good pie filling cherries, real fresh cherries

T - HMOG! (thats Holy Mother Of God!) this is absolutely amazing, such rich great flavor, so silky smooth, such palatable carbonation, with a subtle hoppy background, simply incredible, fruit beer perfection!

M - silky smooth as i mentioned, a great mouthfeel, as smooth as soda but light years beyond

D - even a BMC drinker will enjoy this this is amazing

if this were weighted only as fruit beers, it would get a 5 across the board, but its not, but its still damn close, thanks again nflmvp and keep'em coming (j/k)

edit 1/23/07: well thanks to nflmvp, i got a few more bottles of this divine nectar, and it is even more amazing than i remember. if you do not live in the Wisconsin area, contact a BA from round there and trade for some of this. it is worth its weight in gold. try nflmvp, he always seems to be up for a trade.

07-21-2006 03:23:38 | More by sinstaineddemon
ryantupy

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

A 750ml bottle I picked up during one of my many runs over to Wisconsin. This was a definatly great beer that I think my beer hating girlfriend actually enjoyed. It poured a ruby red juice like color into the glass. A very small developed but soon turned to film. The beer smells of cherries, naturally. But it is very sweet and tart even smells borderline oak. Tastes of huge cherry flavor with a nice balance of sweetness and tartness. There is nothing to complain about here. This is a very nice quality beer that should be enjoyed by all.

10-26-2006 14:11:34 | More by ryantupy
DrJay

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer poured a cloudy, dull pinkish red colour. The head was composed of fine bubbles and showed excellent retention, with plenty of foam remaining at the bottom of the glass. Streaky, spotty lacing throughout. The aroma was amazing! Very fresh sour cherries, earthy cherry pits and skins, with mild toffee/caramel in the background - kind of reminded me of a fresh baked cherry pie. The flavour was intense with sour cherries, an excellent combination of sweet and tart. There was also some cakey spiciness and brown sugar. Full bodied and palate coating with low carbonation. Refined texture. This beer is incredible. I was sure it was over-rated, but I was very happy to find out it wasn't at all. Easily the best fruit beer I've had. I'd love to get my hands on another bottle (or twelve).

Thanks for sharing this Viggo!

04-05-2007 02:16:42 | More by DrJay
tpd975

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Holy shit did I love this beer. Got two of them in a trade and the best thing is that I have another.

A: Pours a nice reddish brown kind of color. Nice bubbles rising to the top. Can't wait to taste.

S: The definition of cherry. Ton of sweet cherry aroma. There is a malty biscutiy aroma in the background, but man this smells like I cracked open a jar of cherries.

T: 5* no doubt about it. Huge cherry flavor like I have tasted in no other brew. There is some cinnamon in there as well. God I love cherry pie but would trade the best one on earth for another bottle of this beer. There is some cinnamon in the background, and finishes with a bit of tartness.

M: Perfect. Medium to light bodied and refreshing. I shared this bottle with 3 others and to be honest I wish I had saved it all to myself.

D: The most drinkable beer ever. I would drink it until they scraped me off the floor. I may move to Wisconsin just to have a steady supply of this beer.

Overall: I have come across many beers that I love Westy 12 and KY Stout most notably. This one here is a whole different matter. It's pure sex in a bottle. I love this beer. The aroma, the flavor, the enjoyablity is off the scale. New Glarus, YOU RULE!!!

09-10-2007 00:40:40 | More by tpd975
OStrungT

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer pours a murky, dark red color. It has a thin light tan head with a nice red tint to it. The head fades quickly, leaving a lot of lacing.

This beer has a sweet cherry aroma. It smells great. It has a slightly tart sour aroma also. It smells very sweet, but not overwhelmingly so.

This beer tastes just like it smells. Very sweet, with a great tart cherry flavor. Not much flavor other than tart, sweet cherries.

This beer leaves a tart cherry aftertaste. The carbonation is high, fitting the beer well.

This beer would probably make a good session beer. It is low in alcohol, and it tastes great.

Overall: Wow, thanks HimerMan for a great beer. I love it, and so does MrsOStrungT. I would always have a bottle of this if I had access to it. The only problem is that it might just be a bit too sweet.

11-08-2007 01:21:43 | More by OStrungT
mhewes

Colorado

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

A : Pours a cherry reddish-brown color with an offwhite head that goes down pretty quickly

S : Fresh cherry sweetness and nothing else

T : Just like the smell, it is a nice cherry sweetness with a touch of tartness

M : Medium-bodied with good carbonation

D : Extremely drinkable. This is one that I could have any time and have no problem drinking.

08-07-2008 19:53:13 | More by mhewes
EGledhill

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Big thanks to ncbvc for this gem. Poured into snifter glass.

A. Redish brown with white fluffy head that leaves a nice lacing the whole way through.

S. Great smell of cherries and a slight maltiness.

T. Simply fantastic. A wonderfully balanced cherry flavor, slightly tart and mildly oaky. Possibly the most fantastic taste I've ever tried.

M. Light and crisp with a mild carbonation.

D. Exceptional drinkability. Could easily drink this all night and not get bored.

Overall this is one fantastic brew. Glad to have tried this and sorry to see this bottle empty. I knew I shouldn't have shared this with my girlfriend and her mother.

10-20-2008 01:01:11 | More by EGledhill
LittleBug31

Wisconsin

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Bright, deep ruby. Small white-pink head. Sparkly bubbles that meander toward the surface.

S: Cherries. Cherries and more cherries. Amazingly tart but incredibly sweet aroma. Fresh picked ripe cherries and my Grandma's awesome warm cherry pie.

T: Reminds me of my favorite snack-- dried tart Montmorency cherries from Door County, WI. Same exact flavor as the actual thing. Sweet and light with awesome flavor. Can't say "Cherries" enough.

M: Smooth and velvety with mild carbonation. Not much else is noticeable past the incredible flavor of this beer.

D: Like juice. This is so appealing to me that I could drink it for breakfast. Just tart enough that the sweetness does not dominate at makes this the perfect fruit beer.

01-17-2010 05:30:04 | More by LittleBug31
Risser09

750ml bottle poured into a wine tulip - fridge - probably 2009

Appearance: Pours a murky brown color with cherry red hues at the edges. A vigorous, but short-lived brown, red-tinted head builds and falls down just like soda would. A minimal lace ring stays behind.

Smell: Tons and tons of cherry aroma indicates the shear amount that they put in every batch. It's so strong, on the verge of medicinal, but is showing signs of sweetness and barrel aging (wood). Excellent, mouthwatering.

Taste: Super cherry intensity. The cherries are again on the border of medicinal, but they are curbed by the wheat malt flavor. It really tastes just like a sweet cherry picked off the tree, with an alcohol boost. Top notch.

Mouthfeel: Very effervescent and lively, compared to the raspberry tart. Sweet, tart, quenching and intense. Some lingering alcohol.

Drinkability: This beer is a superb dessert. I could have one every night if I could afford it and it was actually available in PA. I think this might be better than the raspberry tart.

07-05-2010 01:03:54 | More by Risser09
NODAK

Tennessee

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Smells like maraschino cherry juice....very sweet and syrupy. Rich. Awesome.

Pours crimson red in my flute glass. Small but decent head.

And the taste?? Wowza. Probably the best fruit beer I've ever had. Actually, drop the probably...it IS the best. Starts off very sweet and juicy, with bing cherries bursting through all over. Really it's like I'm drinking the juice of ripe bing cherries. Know what else it reminds me of?? A cherry Jolly Rancher. I don't mean to make that comparison as to make it sound fake, as this doesn't taste artificial to me at all...which makes sense, considering they use real cherries in the brewing process. However, on the finish, there's a good acidic tartness that comes through and keeps the sweetness from being cloying throughout the drink. This dryness actually remains me of a wine. This raises the drinkability for me quite a bit. I'm not sure if these are tannins or not, though the website does say this is like a marriage between wine and beer.

Just awesome all around. Every drink was delicious and I awaited the next.

05-21-2011 01:48:27 | More by NODAK
landhoney

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

I love this beer, despite it being almost more of a cherry cider than a beer. This beer is all about the cherry, although the base beer must be solid to build the cherry goliath on top of. The cherry aroma, taste, sourness, and sweetness are all there, so intense it borders on medicinal but it is NOT, it's a natural/real cherry taste that is so enjoyable and refreshing. I could guzzle this stuff by the gallon and never tire of it, can't think of a negative except maybe there are more complex beers out there. I wish they made a sour variant of this, but they should never change this beer, it is exceptional on its own and for what it is; a cherry beer.

05-31-2011 21:06:00 | More by landhoney
nsp73

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

One of my favorite beers.
Every bottle is made with over a pound of cherries and you can tell the moment you open the bottle.
It's a reddish color with a huge foamy head. As you drink you can smell and taste the cherries. Pretty much tastes like your drinking cherry pie.
It leaves a nice lacing as you go down but I feel the head can be a bit obnoxious at times. Especially towards the end because you really do savor and enjoy every sip of this beer. Fantastic.

09-25-2011 23:04:30 | More by nsp73
stealth

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a slightly cloudy amber/red with a rapidly vanishing foamy pinkish/white head. Not much lacing - steady carbonation rising up the glass while drinking. Smells pretty much just like a cherry Jolly Rancher. My mouth immediately starts to salivate. The flavor of this 'beer' is perfect. Liquified cherry Jolly Rancher. New Glarius really hits a home run with the balance between the cherry sweetness and sour cherry tartness. No aftertaste, and finishes real dry. Leaves you puckering for the next drink. I can't imagine this being improved at all. This is a very refreshing and crisp drink. A nice body that was much thicker than I expected.

This is the perfect fruit beer. Ranked #1 in the world for a reason.

01-30-2012 08:08:57 | More by stealth