1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

Ratings: 2047

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,047 | Reviews: 885 | Show All Ratings:
BOLTZ7555

Arizona

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Sampled at Hellbilly’s Hellraiser courtesy of Hellbilly via Bockyhorsey!!! "I can not tell a lie," this was like George Washington placing his right hand on the trunk and left hand on the branches of a cherry tree...and ringing it out like a towel just above my glass. INCREDIBLE!!! Pours a soft red with small rose foam. Washington cherry blossoms and freshly baked pie tease the nose. The flavor combines buttery flaky crust, sweet ripened fruit, and cherry tartness. This beer is distinguished, legendary, and should be celebrated!!!

05-29-2011 05:49:38 | More by BOLTZ7555
DoubleJ

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Halcyondays raved about it. kbm told me it's crazy to not like it. That's a good enough record to justify a taste. On to the beer:

Spotty lacing is left around the glass from this orangish red colored beer. It kind of looks like punch. The aroma is beauty. Sometimes cherries in beer can be over the top and very acidic, but the cherries in this one are mellow yet very aromic. Sweet cherries and cherry skins, yeah.

Its taste is a beautiful and simple. Sweet succulent cherries crash into the palate wave after wave. It's never really tart, and never really acidic. In fact, it's almost like a cherry punch. With a flavor so rich and full of the fruit, the body seems medium full, which is amazing at 4% ABV. As a bonus, unlike the Raspberry Tart, the WBR is much too easy to drink.

Like the Raspberry Tart which I'm in love with, the Wisconsin Belgian Red is tops in its class. Any doubter of fruit beers should take a look at the offerings that New Glarus is producing, which are beautiful beverages to drink. The next mission will be securing a full bottle to myself.

10-31-2011 23:09:10 | More by DoubleJ
CBlack85

South Carolina

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%

thanks to crossovert for the hookup

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter.

The beer pours a hazy reddish color with an off white head that has just a hint of pink. The head recedes quickly leaving behind no hint of lacing whatsoever.

The nose is all cherries all day long. Really just a breathtaking sour cherry aroma. What an amazing aroma; I could almost forget about drinking this beer and just sit a enjoy the aroma all evening. Outstanding. No malts, no hops, just cherries...

The flavor is big, just as big as the aroma. A big full flavored glass of cherries. Slightly tart, while still remaining sweet and enjoyable. Well carbonated, making the beer almost prickly on the tongue. Medium bodied, and easy to drink.

The website boasts "Over a pound of Door County cherries in every bottle", and I believe it. Just a terrific beer. Really teh best example of a fruit beer that I have ever tasted.

12-11-2011 05:17:25 | More by CBlack85
ethosx19

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

This is by far the best fruit beer I have tried. Pours red...cherry aroma...high carbonation. The sweetness and carbonation give a great mouthfeel and I love the sour tart finish of the Door County cherries. I can't image getting any more cherry taste in this beer. Good with chocolate too.

01-03-2003 21:27:54 | More by ethosx19
Realale

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours deep opaque red/brown. Thin raspy head quickly dissapears, leaving only a solitary island in the center of the glass which slowly vanishes.

Nose is incredibly rich fresh sour cherries over earthy, slight apple-cidery, barnyard and bisquity-grain notes. Hints of chocolate and kirsch develop. Wow.

Even better in the mouth. Simply beautiful and rich on the palate with a penetrating sourness that leaves the tongue tingling. Great body, with a touch of residual sugar to take some of the sting out of the acidity. I'd prefer it to be a bit more sour, but its still an easy "5" as it is.

Great fine carbonation scrubs sourness away at the end of the incredibly long finish. A lick of the lips results in waves of sour cherry echoing across the palate. A tremendous beer.

07-01-2003 15:37:05 | More by Realale
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer pours a nice rosey red color with a healthy 2 finger head over top that falls to generously coat the beer. The nose is huge cherry. Wow. It smells really nice, but not too big. The flavor is sour, sour, sour cherry. As soon as the beer departs the glass and crosses my lips, the sour grabs my tongue. As I swallow the beer, a sweetness and slight, very slight maltyness grabs me. The feel is super thick, almost sytupy, staying long on the tongue. This is a nice nice beer.

Edit: I still love this beer. So good. So balanced. A fine beer.

01-15-2005 18:30:07 | More by kmpitz2
clvand0

Kentucky

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Thanks to kmpitz2 for sharing this bottle with us. What a beer. It pours a bright red color with a small ring of pink foam around the top. Leaves some lacing on the glass as well. Very strong aroma of cherries with just a tiny bit of sourness. Nice. The flavor was unreal. Lots of cherry flavor all over the place. Slight tart character, but very slight. Love the flavor of the cherries in this one. Spectacular flavor. Drinkability is wonderful as well. I MUST seek out more of this beer.

02-07-2005 17:58:00 | More by clvand0
TastyTaste

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Dark red/brown color, poured from a green glass waxed and capped 25 ounce bottle. Small white head atop. Sweet cherry smell dominates this with a subtle maltiness in hiding, some what like a cherry cider. Taste is extremely cherry dominant, sweet, but not candy-like or cloying. Hops are no where to be seen. A very different fruit beer, nothing like I have ever had. Light evervescent and refreshing.

I took another BA's suggestion, and mixed this with some Young's Double Chocolate Stout, and it was one of the richest and flavorfull beers I have ever had.

04-18-2005 19:59:12 | More by TastyTaste
Knuckles

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

I'll make no secret of it, I love this beer. I had my first taste of it almost ten years ago, back in the halcyon days when it was named "Wisconsin Cherry Ale". My friend Chip is from Door County, and would pick up a bottle or two here and there when he went home for the holidays, just to shut me up. I was utterly blown away by it then, and remain blown away to this very day. It's not for everyone, but I think any beer such as this that completely defines itself, and many other American beers to follow, really needs to be given due credit.

Appearance: This is the only area I'm disappointed. It pours a brilliant red (not quite pink), with a light pink head. However, as it's unfiltered, it gives it sort of a murky appearance that leads one to believe it's going to feel a bit thicker than it really does.

Smell: Well, kids, there's no denying it. This is a cherry beer. I don't drink fruit beers as a general rule, as most tend to try and add fruit flavor to a typically bland ale of some sort. This beer does no such thing. This beer revels in its cherryness. It exists solely for the cherries, not for the beer, and that's all you smell. No yeast, no malt, no beer. Just cherry.

Taste: Again, if you don't like cherries, you won't like this beer. Me, I like them. Sweet at the start, dry and tart at the finish. I've given this beer to many people who have said, "This isn't beer." And were it not for the strict definition of the process that makes a beer a beer, I might actually agree with them. But since this beer follows the rules, then by jinkies I'm going to call it a beer. And to hell with all y'all that disagree. I will also love every precious $10 bottle I can get my mitts on.

Mouthfeel: Again, the murk belies the lightness of tongue that this beer has. It is really a very delicate feel, almost like sparkling wine. It does have a definite malt presence, but doesn't have the tongue-sticky cloyingness that an American wheat beer like UFO or Widmer does. This sumbitch is incredibly refreshing on a hot summer day.

Drinkability: This all depends (as previously mentioned), on your tolerance for cherries. What makes this beer truly great, however, is that you can share it with almost anyone (yes, the boys got a wee nip and were suitably impressed) and they will generally enjoy it. That said, a little cherry can go a long way. My wife and I have done two of the 750 ml bottles of this at once, but that's about all I'd do.

08-22-2005 16:51:49 | More by Knuckles
grub

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Viggo was nice enough to share this truly excellent beer. huge thanks eric!

750ml bottle, topped in dark red wax.

pours hazy pinkish red with a bit of dense pink head. some spotty lace.

aroma is fantastic. tons of cherry. at a distance it seemed vaguely cough-syrupy, but up close it is great. sour cherries with a nice fresh earthy character. light sweetness. bit of sourness. excellent.

taste is excellent. wow. lots of cherry, but not at all cloying or syrupy. slight sour cherry. bit of spiced cake. hint of brown sugar and spice. truly great stuff.

mouthfeel is awesome. super silky smooth carbonation. nice body, but not at all cloying.

drinkability is excellent. this is a truly excellent beer.

03-26-2007 18:15:51 | More by grub
Viggo

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Thanks to oakbluff in Winterpeg for hooking me up with this. Sampled with some fellow BA's, DrJay, biegaman, and grub.

Pours a very murky red/brown, thick off white head forms, settles down to a think layer and ring, nice lacing on the glass. Smell is amazing, rich real cherries, very earthy, toffee, brown sugar, nice sourness from the cherries, quite amazing. Taste is cherry cake, toffee, nice sour cherries through the middle, spices, some ginger, more cherries and brown sugar. Mouthfeel is full bodied, very thick, silky smooth low carbonation. Fucking amazing beer, just insane, I can't wait to try again! Thanks Scott, I owe you for this one!

03-30-2007 03:03:16 | More by Viggo
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

I got this bottle in a great trade with joe1510. Thanks a bunch, Joe!!

This isn't my first sample of this brew. I bought a bottle of it and the Raspberry Tart years ago before I started reviewing and have had samples of both every time I've been to the GABF. Boy am I thrilled to have it again!

Pours from capped and mimimally waxed 750ml bottle a cloudy red with a nice solid, be it small, head of foam with some good lacing.

The smell is of cherrries, cherries, and...more cherries!~ A +lb of cherries in every bottle will do that for you. ;^)

The taste...is of wonderful, semi sweet and sweet cherry. In the background, I can just get some wheat, more pronounced when I swish the beer in my mouth, and a slight woody flavour. Boy, is this a joy to sip on and yeah, it's very low in the abv department but when you get a brew of this caliber, sipping is the *only* way to go. The mouthfeel is almost chewy, nah, I'm going to say that it *is* chewy and the carbonation is very lively.. just the right level for me to make my drinking experience stellar. There's also a small hop presence there to add just a touch of bitterness; not too much, mind you, as the cherry flavour is what Belgian Red is all about.

I just poured some more into my glass and I have a huge smile on my face. Wow. Is this ever a satisfying beer.

Bottom line: This is a world class brew that hits my palate on all cylinders. Like I said before I got this in a trade and it certainly won't be the last time I trade for it. Thank again, Joe!!

12-15-2007 18:14:11 | More by Bitterbill
madtowndmb1

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

I figure I'll finally review this since it's always at my house and we (my wife) drinks a ton of it.

This beer is fantastic! It pours a cherry red with a bubbly little head. The scent is awesome! Smells like a cherry juice with carbonation. Everything else on this beer is Amazing! It deserves the #37 spot in the top 100!

Everyone should try this beer.

01-30-2009 03:49:47 | More by madtowndmb1
bobsy

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

The last of the reviews I'm gonna write up on the beers we had last night. I wouldn't trust my palate or memory to accurately recall anything more than the first couple we had. Fortunately the first couple were classics.

Deep blood red body with a foamy off-white head. Sticky lace. Full on kriek aroma - sour cherries, leather and a touch of cider. Sour cherry flavour with a great deal of funk, leather and sugar. A pound of cherries in each bottle and you can tell. In terms of its profile and intensity it reminded me a lot of ice cider. Full, decadent mouthfeel and slightly sticky. This would make a great dessert beer.

Its fascinating and special. I hope my wife can bring me some of this back from the midwest... it may well make up for her chickening out on the growler of masala mama.

Cheers Troy!

06-01-2009 01:36:24 | More by bobsy
BeerFMAndy

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

750 ml wax-dipped green bottle poured into tulip.

A - Deep blood red in color, Wisconsin Belgian Red pours with a frothy dirty pink foam that subsides to loosely packed bubbles and a smattering of thin lace on the tulip.

S - Cherries, cherry skins, and more cherries! The aroma is of fresh fruit, not that cough syrup artificial BS you get in some cherry beers. While New Glarus' fruit beers are spontaneously fermented, many of them don't show the slightest hint of wild yeast. Wisconsin Belgian Red is the most forthcoming with it's wild profile, though; behind the cherries lies the distant aroma of a forgotten, dusty wooden barn and trails of horse blankets it once held.

T - Beautiful cherry flavor coats the tongue with true fruitiness from the pit to the skin's sharp tannins while the spontaneous fermentation trickles traces of dry wild yeast across the back of the tongue. Perfection!

M - Effervescent carbonation livens up the sweet cherry profile of Wisconsin Belgian Red before it's finish is punctuated with a nicely balancing level of tart, relaxed cherry skin acidity.

O - New Glarus' Wisconsin Belgian Red is not only one of the greatest cherry beers available anywhere, it's also one of the most quintessential fruit beers on the planet. Packed to the brim with fresh cherries, this beer smells and tastes sublime, finishing semisweet with a perfect level of tart cherry skin acidity!

12-29-2013 00:14:28 | More by BeerFMAndy
Duff27

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Pours a clear, ruby red with a small white head. Good lacing and head retention.

S- Cherries, hints of vanilla?

T- More cherries...fresh and above all else, real. Tart. Dare I say orgasmic?

M- Dances on the tongue like its sister Raspberry Tart.

D/O- I've had many a beers in my day but this remains one of the best beers I've ever had. Light and fruity, its an easy drinker although I find myself taking small sips just to savor. The epitome of "world class".

06-24-2011 19:39:06 | More by Duff27
GlassFreeek

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured into a champagne flute from a 750ml bottle.

A: Pours, an amber/ruby red color w/ a eggshell/pink some what creamy looking head. About 3 fingers worth of head.

S: A mix between a ripe cherry and cherry pie. Just amazing, really catches the essence of a cherry in here.

T: Just the same as the smell, it's sweet, but not too sweet. And's it's tart and but too tart, just like it should be. Very perfectly well executed.

MF: Great dense, creamy mouthfeel, that is actually quite unique and enjoyable.

Overall, I'd suggest you get one of these bottles immediately, and drink it. You won't be disappointed! Wow, this is a great fruit beer right here.

08-23-2011 04:54:28 | More by GlassFreeek
GradyS1

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 750 into an Allagash Tulip. Red, with a slight brownish tent. Small amount of carbination with a small head, poured very, very cold.

Fresh Cherry pie filling on the smell, really awesome. Does not smell like cherry cough syrup, this is fresh pie filling. Such a sweet smell that it is almost cherry candy by the finish.

Taste almost exactly as it smells. Predominately cherry pie filling. Fresh and sweet with a small amount of tartness. Very small hints of alcohol at all, especially for a fruit beer

Smooth with the perfect amount of carbonation. This is refreshing, especially for the amount of sweetness that it has in it. Almost perfect as far as taste and mouth feel good.

This beer is very tasty, as close as a desert beer as I would think you could get. There is really no malt characteristic to this at all, Its like you are drinking a fruit soda, that is the only downfall

10-08-2011 21:26:49 | More by GradyS1
agroeber

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Perhaps the best dessert beer I've come across. Massive amounts of sweet cherry up front turn to slightly sour notes on the back end. A sublimely pleasant experience - enough to please even the most hardened IPA drinker. It can be tough to work through a full bottle on your own, but don't share with more than 2-3 people, or you'll feel shorted on your share.

12-08-2011 18:56:14 | More by agroeber
shand

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint. Thanks to redbird!

Well, this is just a little embarrassing. I held on to this for a long time. Probably longer than I should have, since I got this bad boy about 8 months ago, and who knows how long it was around before then. Hoping for the best! Pours a very hazy red color with a tiny head that drop fast. The smell? Dear GOD that smells good! Cherries! There are cherries in this beer. Lots of cherries. I love cherries. This smells very good. It also tastes like there's cherries in this beer. It does a great job of balancing the sweet and the tart. The mouthfeel is crisp and light, and the drinkability is amazing. Why did I wait so long to pop this one? This is seriously a world-class beer. If you like cherries, you will like this beer. No way around that.

01-04-2012 01:08:27 | More by shand
TheSevenDuffs

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Bottle to Founders tulip.

A - Poured cherry red with a slight glow around the edges. One finger of light brown/cream coloured head formed and receded to a thin layer full of big bubbles.

S - Dark cherries dominate the nose but the aroma is very fresh and not artificial. Lighter notes of spice and sweet bready malts in the background. Almost smells like fresh baked apple pie.

T - Huge fresh baked cherry pie flavour full of dark cherries and sweet flaky pie crust. A touch of spice is present as well. An amazing flavour profile.

M - Almost full bodied. Creamy and thick. Light carbonation.

O - This was by far the best fruit or vegetable beer have had.

06-03-2012 13:11:35 | More by TheSevenDuffs
Jon

4.85/5  rDev +11%

Another brew that lives up to its hype, this kriek-style ale pours a deep red/amber color with a frothy, sparkling wine-like pinkish head. Very impressive looking in a flute glass, this one leaves trails of lace. Smell is tart and almost acidic at first, with some true fruity sweetness coming through thereafter. Taste is similar, but totally unlike any Belgian kriek I've had. Big, monstrous cherry notes hit the palate at first, with a dry, tart and acidic finish. The best way for me to describe it is like cherry pie filling. Cherry pie as in that which your mother would make, not Hostess. Wow. Very complex and if nothing else, divine. Mouthfeel is prickly and effervescent at first when chilled, then somewhat syrupy when it reaches room temperature. Moderate in alcohol, somewhat sweet, somewhat tart, but overly satisfying, this Belgian-style ale drinks incredibly well. Would pair incredibly with the aforementioned cherry pie as an appropriate dessert brew. Better yet, enjoy it by itself. An awesome creation from New Glarus.

07-25-2003 02:59:31 | More by Jon
faernt

4.85/5  rDev +11%

What a beer! Big bottle with wax opening into a champagne flute with the aroma of Door County. A pie crust colored head appears and grows to colossal size on top of a slightly brownish red body that looks like cherry jelly. The taste is sweet and then tart bringing me back to chopped cherry preserves on toast. It's like breakfast. The mouthfeel is lighter than expected but if it were heavier the jelly thing would take over the experience. This is a very drinkable beer. I don't like fruit beer much but this is always on hand.

07-14-2004 23:22:36 | More by faernt
DarkerTheBetter

4.85/5  rDev +11%

This beer poured a dark glowing red with a few light purple highlights. It was very clear with little bubbles clinging to the inside of my glass. The head was thin, off white and pink that left a thin and delicate lace. Smells initially of sweet cherry pie filling that, for an instant, is rather disappointing. Fortunately, the smell is then backed up with a musky sourness that adds a terrific amount of life and wholesomeness. Along with this fantastic cherry, there seems to be a musky lambic-like yeast. Tastes of powerfully tangy wild cherries. This is not just cherry sweetness, but the flavor clearly reflects actual cherry skin! This, combined with (what I’m guessing to be ) the musky wild yeast creates a smooth and tangy cherry experience that is absolutely amazing. This is quite an accomplishment for the people at New Glarus. (thank you!) The mouth feel had a light soft body with a medium tingly carbonation that’s a wonderful compliment to the tangy aspects of the flavor. I think that the mouth feel plays a crucial role in the delivery of the flavor, earning a high rating form me.

Delicious! Absolutely delicious! This is so easy to drink and just dripping with quality and care. There’s a quality here that makes me wish there was a NA version of this available to have with breakfast every morning. I think I’ll never be able to tolerate fake cherry flavors ever again. This is hands down a fantastic beer! The only shortcoming on its drinkability is the sweetness. It’s necessary for the flavor, but I wouldn’t want to split more than one bottle at any one sitting.

01-29-2006 16:24:53 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.85/5  rDev +11%

Cheers to Sprinkle for this awesome brew. Pours a murky brown shade of red, with nice lacing. Smells of sweet and slightly tart cherries. Cranberries too, though I know they were not an ingredient in the beer.

Initial the taste is sweet cherry, this soon gives way to sour cherry, delicious, and more complex than I can adequately describe. Malt is there, but completely blends in with the cherries. Mouthfeel is smooth and lively, the bubbles are tiny. I believe this qualifies as a session beer under BA guidelines, if only I had another one or ten or so, I'd drink them all now.

03-20-2006 08:35:49 | More by Sephiroth