Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

Wants: 1,120
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 944 | Hads: 3,132
3.9/5  rDev -10.3%

750ml capped and waxed green bottle. A "World Champion" according to the label.

Pours into my oversized wineglass with a borwn/red hue. A small bubbly white head rises a centimeter high with a vigorous pour.

Smell is of cherries, nothing much more than that. It does smell delicious though.

Has a solid tart Wisconsin cherry flavor that mixes with a tad bit of malt giving a cherry pie feel. I really like the taste of the cherries, there not the crappy sweet variety but there is an ample amount of sugar backing. It seems like there might be a few spices thrown in as well. Nice mouthfeel with good carbonation that coats the tongue.

Drinkability is that of fruit juice.

Its a great fruit beer if a bit sweet. (716 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a light pink to reddish color with a small white head. In the aroma small sour cherries. In the taste, cherry, very cherry with a small sourness lingering behind. A smooth medium body mouthfeel and a dry cherry aftertaste. Cherries feel a bit medicinal, kind of like cough drops. A small tartness, and big in cherry. (322 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a light cola color with lots of red accents. 2 finger dense tan head that lingers for a while. 4.5

Straight up cherries on the nose. Sugary. Some wafers . Mostly cherry pie. 4

Quite sweet. Massive amounts of cherries again. Intensely sweet, but remains fairly balanced. 3.75

A quick carbonation burn towards the start. Drinks very easy. 4

O- One of the better fruit beers I have tried. Cherry pie in a glass. Perfect desert beer 4 (451 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -10.3%

Great beer from the first craft brewery I had an allegiance to growing up. This brewery was only about 30-40 miles from where I grew up in Wisconsin.

Exceptional brilliant red hue eminating from my goblet. Sort of a deep amber and brown, the red shines through like garnet.

An aroma of deep caramel and cherries. You might as well have your nose stuck inside a cherry pie. This is ridiculous.

The taste is SWEET! A bit of sourness in the finish, and even a hint of oak. However, the taste is definitely dominated by SUGAR SUGAR!

Very complex and amazing beer. Not too drinkable for me, as I like the drier and funkier fruit beers. Nevertheless, an American Classic. Bravo. (684 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -10.3%

Bottle courtesy of a trade with soulforpeanuts. Tasted with dgb3. (I love BAs!) I was blown away by Raspberry Tart and was really looking forward to this one.

Appearance is not what I'd expect from a Belgian. Very cloudy rubies and purples and reds, which makes the body absolutely gorgeous. But the head is minimal and there's not much retention to speak of. Aromas are all cherry...it's very prominent and in your face, but the flavors reveal something a little more subtle. It's actually a lot sweeter on the palate than expected. At the tasting, I said the aromas were freshly picked and ripened cherries, but the flavors were more on the maraschino cherries side of the spectrum, just really sweet and tons of residuals covering the mouth. Each sip revealed a varied level of tartness, which I suppose kept things interesting. Not much "Belgian" in here that I could discern. The cherries really take this one over.

All parties agreed that this brew would be best for either a hot day or a brunch. It was really great for what it was, but I couldn't drink more than one goblet of this in one sitting, whereas I happily drank the entire bottle of Raspberry Tart in a short amount of time. (1,194 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750 mil bottle - no date that I can find. poured into a snifter

A - I would have thought a cherry beer would be completely red. Not so the case here, it is a brown beer that does have a red hue to it. A bit hazy. Little head formation, but it does leave a small film behind.

S - There are the cherries - very potent on the nose. Sweet smelling. Almost has a cideresque background to it.

T - Very acidic. Cherries are the dominant flavor for certain, however it is backed up via some sweet more general fruit flavors like apples. Some phenolic flavors - not sure the potency here, but it seems apparent. Aftertaste is certainly stronger than the actual feel - more of that acidic flavor.

M - Moderate body - solid but not syrupy. There is a bite to the body from the acidity, not so much the carbonation. I'm surprised at the low carbonation after how the beer label draws it out specifically.

D - Easy to drink - light on the palette and the stomach. ABV is low and doesn't hurt me. For the style, which obviously isn't in my cellar very often, I would fine this very drinkable.

I find this beer similar to the Red and White from DFH - an interesting melding of flavors. I would consider keeping this in the cellar for when guests come around for something different as a dessert drink. (1,293 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks to fellow BA warnerry for sharing.

A- A hazy reddish orange liquid with a thin and splotchy pinkish-white head.

S- Cherry candy, cherry jam... there is about all I can get out of it. Very aromatic and intriguing albeit a bit simple.

T- Sweet and tart cherries. A bit medicinal, but not in a bad way.

M- Tart with a bit of lasting sourness. Pretty clean on the finish.

D- I appreciate everything that they were going for, but it is still a bit of a sipper. Simple and kind of reminded me a fruit soda. Still, it is well executed and unique. (552 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -10.8%

Doodler sent this to me as an EXTRA in our most recent trade. Thank you for the generosity my friend.

WARNING: My bottle foamed over as soon as I had the cap off and made a decent mess on my kitchen table. I'd recommend opening this over the sink just to be safe.

A: A finger of off-white head sits atop a beautiful reddish brown liquid that gives off ruby hues when held to the light. Some spotty sticky lace sticks to the sides of the glass. Head mostly dissipated after a few minutes.

S: Pretty much straight cherry and not much else. Hints of sourness and acidity are present too. In general, this isn't an unpleasing aroma at all. However, when it's coming from a beer I worry it's going to be too sweet.

T: Tart cherries an a little yeasty funk. Pretty much tastes like sour fruit juice. Are you sure this is beer in my glass?

M: Light body and not a whole lot of carbonation. Dries out a little in the finish. I would actually have liked to see a little more carbonation here.

D: This was good, but I'm not crazy about it to be honest. It reminded me a bit of table wine: very sweet and appealing to drink in small doses. After I was about half-way through the bottle, however, I'd had enough. It just got a little too sweet after a while. I wouldn't drink 750 ml of fruit juice, and that's basically what this tastes like. Despite this, it's still a very respectable fruit beer. The Red Raspberry is much better IMO. (1,436 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured into my Founders snifter.

A: Pours a great ruby with pinkish hues around the edges when held up to the light. A nice light pink head forms with a vigorous pour, about 1.5 finger but recedes quickly. No real lace to speak of but a nice ring follows the brew down the glass.

S: Candied cherries up front with a slight tartness. Has a slight medicinal smell but in a good way. Has some hops to it that peak in around the cherrys and nice barley to smooth it out.

T: Hello cherries, so nice to finally meet you! The cherries are extremely sweet and candied in nature, almost like a cherry lollipop. The taste transforms into slight bitterness at the end, but it's very mild.

M: Medium bodied with a great carbonation. Coats the palate with a thinly veiled sweet cherry. A little sticky.

O: I normally do not like fruit beers or sweet tasting beers, but this guy really struck a chord with me. I wouldn't be able to drink it on a regular basis, but it was nice to have after a good dinner. I'm interested to see how the raspberry tart I've got in the fridge compares. (1,079 characters)

From a 1Pint 9oz bottle poured into short glass

A- Ruby red, small white head around the edges.

S- Light cherrys a touch of malt in the background.

T- Semi tart cherry very sweet. Alittle bit of a bitter end.

M- Good feel no activity.

D- A slow drinker, very sweet nice desert drink.

Notes: This is a great beer because my girlfriend also like it who at other times usally described beers as too beer tasting... not that I ever understood that. So its worth a try unless of course you hate cherry then don't bother. (533 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -10.8%

My first brew from New Glarus!

A: Poured into an oversized wine glass that created a single fingered white head with little retention fading to a soapy film atop this cloudy red bodied brew.

S: Tart cherries, like a jolly rancher. Sour notes make your mouth salivate, uncontrollably.

T: Follows the scent almost exactly, did surprise me being less sweet than I anticipated (which is good.) Seriously, this is melted cherry jolly rancher with alcohol and carbonation.

M: Perfectly carbonated, crisp front, smooth finish.

O: Tasty brew, not one I would have often, but great when you are looking for something sweet. (620 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -10.8%

Reviewed on 9/16/08. Bottle courtesy of xmarcnolanx. Pours a dirty brown/red with a small tan head. Aroma of those cherry icepops that come in 100-per box and you squeeze out of plastic wrapping. Flavor is lots of cherry syrup, cinnamon, baked cherry pie, and tartness. Not as luscious as Raspberry Tart, but still tasty. Slightly artificial to me though.

Update 11/01/08: Had this again and noticed a lot more tart cherry candies this time. Nice tartness!
7/4/8/4/16 (3.9/5) (476 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -10.8%

This and the Raspberry Tart have been two very unique beers. Two very excellent unique beers. That Dan Carry knows how to make some amazing beers. Seek out all the NG stuff you can, it's always a treat.

This is a dark redish-purple color, about the color of pomegranite juice. with a cap that is white but tinted more toward a pink color. crazy.

Cherries. Just smells like cherries really. almost has a sugary powdery kool-aid presence that remind me of making it when i was a kid. Not a bad aroma, but not such a standout that the taste and mouthfeel are.

Oh yes. tart cherry juice, your hired, all others need not apply. The tartness matching with the sweetness is what makes this beer as amazing as it is, that and the dry and fine tight carbination playing around. I wish i could say more about something other then cherries...but i can't, and really there is no need to have anything else in this beer. (910 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -11%

I adore fruit beers, so my opinion may be biased. However, i liked this very cherry beer because it was not too sweet, as other fruit beers can be. However, it almost had that cough syrup thing going on, but it is not quite at that cherry level, it was just delicious. Very smelly of cherries, not too dark in color, just very red. Not too fizzy when poured either. (365 characters)

Poured from 750ml bottle to tulip glass:

Pours a bright pinkish red with a soft pink, sticky head that fades to a thin cap. Nice lacing and hazy beading.

Very pungent on the nose. So much fruit it's ridiculous. Rich cherry, floral bits, white sugar, some honey... massive aromas.

Sweet. Tart. Sour. All cherries. I could never finish a whole bottle. Way too much flavor. Definitely an experience. Like no other beer that I can think of.

Drinkability is relatively low but it's part of the experience. It's a sweet, aggressive sipper.

I can see why people go nuts over this stuff but it's a bit much for me. (611 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -11%

Again I must thank Clark for bringing this in. This beer pours more of an auburn in color tan a red (which you'd expect from a beer with cherries on the label) and an whitish head. The aroma is all cherry "fruit roll up" as one taster put it, and a slight tartness. The flavor is very sweet, little to no malt flavor, and then some tartness. This has some body to it but there is a little harshness in the finish. Overall for a Belgian style it is very drinkable, if you like sweet beers. (488 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -11%

Body is natural cherry colored, cloudy, with a light white head.

Nose is surprisingly bland, sweet and bready. It smells really good, I just expected a more intense aroma based on the flavor.

Flavor is both sweet and tart fresh cherries. Reminiscent of cherry pie filling, but not as sweet with more tartness.

Mouthfeel is tart and quenching, slightly astringent.

Drinkability is good, limited by sweetness. As I do not have much of a sweet tooth, I would not want more than about half of one bottle at a sitting. (517 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -11%

This one pours a nice bright maroon. There was a thin head, but it disappeared rather quickly. Lacing isn't an issue with this one.

The aroma is, just as I thought, filled with cherries. Tart cherries, at that. Oh, and some cherries.

The flavor brings to mind....cherries. Sweet, yet a tad tart. Very fresh cherry flavor, not fake at all. The sweetness is almost too much for me at times, though.

Syrupy mouthfeel. Lighter carbonation when compared to the Raspberry Tart. The sweetness knocks this one down a rung for me as far as drinkability is concerned. Very different, yet enjoyable. I do prefer the Raspberry Tart over this one, however. (646 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -11%

Excellent brew by NG. Pours a nice fruit punch like red color with a white foam head that hangs around a bit. Great on the nose like cherry gummies with the taste to follow. Reminded me of drinking a slightly carbonated cherry fruit juice, could imagine definitely drinking this brew during the hot summers here in CA. A must try and have by NG, very satisfied with this one. (375 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -11%

appearance: cloudy like a duchesse or rodenbach, hard to say whats going on inside. crusty lace and a mild, thin head of dense foam.

aroma: cherry pie filling, what more needs to be said? simplicity at its best in beer.

taste: reminds me of said syrup that surrounds said cherries in said pie. some additional champagne like dryness, most likely from the slightest addition of summery hops. just enough contrast to remind me of its true constitution. much more balanced than the raspberry tart.

some residual sugar in the aftertaste, overall a simple brew. nothing special.. except.. well, it's totally unique. (620 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -11.3%

1 pt, 9 oz. bottle into a thin pilsner.

hazy glowing red with hints of orange and pink. a thick foamy slightly pink head that retains well and leaves thick rings of lace, even inside the bottle.

sugary-sweet candied cherries in the aroma. smells more like cherries than cherries do. difficult to pick out anything else; comes off like cherry candy or a cherry icee.

light mouthfeel with a light carbonation. powerfully sweet cherry taste. impressive that they can get this much sweet cherry flavor without any syrup or extract; just cherries and beer. light feel avoids any cloying, and even the big bottle was gone pretty quickly. an impressive brew, even if it doesn't quite match my tastes; with no hints of alcohol, malt or hops, i'd prefer it to be a little more beerlike. (786 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -11.5%

Pour: Small head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing but does have the added sound of bubbles popping vigorously in the evening.

Smell: Like cherries almost like a halls but alluring, not so much like medicine, but like a cherry soda.

Tastes: Very tart, lots of cherry, and sweet. Tart sticks to your lips and gentle bitterness left on the back of tongue.

Body: Little carbonation but balances well with the tart. The sweetness is a little more then I care for but is refreshingly different then most that try to capture the sweet side.

Fruit is not my favorite style but NG does this nicely in an unthreatening way. I wouldn't have another by myself but would share one with some wine loving friends. (716 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -11.7%

Thanks to oakbluff for this gem!

New Glarus Belgian Red
750 ml bottle
Moderate pour in a shaker.
Unknown brewing, enjoyed 07/07

Poured a dark red, with some brown tinges, with a moderate off-white and "off-ruddy" fizzy mostly diminishing head.

Smelt of strong tart cherries, baked cherry pie, candi cherries, spiced cherry jam and fermented cherries by the windowsill.

Taste was upfront strong sweet and sour cherry juice followed by a stronger sweetness on the follow through to a nice mellow moderate sweet and sour finish. All cherries.

Palate was cherry.

Overall, holy fucking cherries! I'm happy I shared this with semi knowledgeable beer friends, because it was great, but also there's no way I could have drank a whole bottle. It's just too much cherries. One glass is a great treat though. Cherries. (829 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -12%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

from tap, poured into a tulip glass.

A: red and slightly hazy. one finger red/pink head that dissipated quickly.

S: cherries, but in a way resembled cough syrup (not in a bad way).

T: cherries. kind of tart at first but ended up sweet in the finish.

MF: full bodied, high carbonation.

Drinkability: i think this is a well crafted beer, but not my style. i would like to try it with ice cream or other dessert. i think people who appreciate fruit beers would definitely enjoy this one. (490 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -12%

Pours a dark red color with a finger head that disapates quickly. Aroma is pungent cherries, slight medicinal notes, slight oak Taste follows the nose, lots of cherries a bit of a medicinal taste but not off putting. Crisp, tart and refreshing. Different in the beat possible way, tasting back to back with the raspberry tart and I must say I prefer the tart. (359 characters)

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company