Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,036
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

I got a 750mL bottle from Woodman’s in early Fall 2012 for $8.79 when I heard about the shortage of Belgian Red until early 2013.

It pours a dark maroon color with a slightly pink, bubbly head. The scent is rich with fermented cherries giving it a very sweet aroma. The taste is rich, sweet, and fruity with an overall great cherry flavor. It’s smooth, refreshing, delicious, and slightly tart. One of New Glarus’ signature brews that is regarded as one of the best fruit beers one the market. Definitely something you have to try.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to a good friend in Wisconsin for shipping me some of this! I have the Raspberry Tart up next.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter style glass.

A: Beer pours an absolutely gorgeous red color that is clear, effervescent, but has little to no head or lacing.

S: Smells like cherries and nothing else. Reminds me of a cherry pie from the smell, slightly tart and slightly sweet.

T: I can't imagine a fruit beer tasting any better than this. It's straight cherry pie filling that is refreshing and so good. Goes down really easy, but I like to sip it because the tartness coats my mouth with each sip and I want more.

M: A little undercarbonated maybe, but aside from that I have no complaints. This one is great.

D: I don't think I could drink more than 2 8oz glasses of this due to its tartness, but man does it taste good.

This may be the best fruit beer on the planet. I know I haven't had a better one yet, but it is very delicious and ANYONE beer drinker or not should seek this one out if they get a chance. This could convert some non-beer drinkers to start.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Big huge thanks to Homerbag for this one!!

Pours a brilliant and beautiful deep cranberry color, nice fluffy pinkish head hangs around for a bit, and leaves a few spots of lacing. Thousands of tiny bubbles rising to the surface. The smells and flavors are just perfectly in sync: big, robust, tart, and rich cherry insanity. Wow. Sticky sweet moutfheel, tartness zinging the tongue and taste buds. This is just an absolute treat, and the beer drinkers in Wisconsin are extremely lucky to have a brewery like New Glarus.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to CapitalAmber for bringing this back from WI.

750 ml bottle into big snifter (not the whole bottle)

A) Smells like cherry Italian ice. Wow!

S) The beer is quite opaque, and red to reddish brown depending on how the light hits it. Not a whole lot of head on top, but when it is there it has a pink hue.

T) The taste is all cherry and wheat. It's tart, but in a soft and mellow way.

M) It feels fairly sweet even though it doesn't taste particularly sweet.

D) I could probably have the whole thing but I'd feel bad about not sharing - it's too good to hog.

Thanks to LeviFunk for this
A: a rudy, ruby color, with hints of brown along the edges. no head, no sense of carbonation
S: like Neil Diamond sings "cherry cherry"
T: well, is is pretty obvious - cherry pie, or turnovers cherries from the summer, or that cherry juice drink you had as a kids. This fruit is the star in the brew, and it is a good thing. A solid measure of tartness is present here too. Little bit (very little) of Belgian spice for good measure
M: heavier then expected, but not a bad thing
D: high. just really solid, and a low ABV

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A bottle split with new friends and neighbors at our first neighborhood block party. The lady and myself were new to the neighborhood and wanted to make a nice impression. This did the trick. Everyone loved this and wanted to know where to buy one. Looks like I'll need to stock up for the next get-together.

Red and fizzy, this looks more like a cherry soda than a beer. Great head, looks like a pillows atop a red sheet of lush beer.

Smell is wonderful cherry juice. Wow, this is incredible. No beer qualities at all, just natural (no Ludens here) cherries. Just a touch too sweet, otherwise it would be a 5.

Taste is wonderful Cherry is of course the leader on this journey. Some non-lacto tartness from the natural cherries. Just perfect fruit flavor, such depth, all of it natural layers - a deep dive into this lovely fruit. Never fake or cloying. How did they do this? I know, if they told me they'd have to kill me. Well, if there are 72 cases of this in heaven, I'm in.

Mouthfeel is perfect and IMO is easily the best feature of this wonderful beer. Wow, just enough body to be substantial and a perfect lively carbonation. Nectar of the gods I tell ye! And drinkability is close to perfect too. Just a bit too much cherry overload to do a bottle by myself. A perfect party beer to share with good friends and new friends.

Funny story, I wandered away from the group to do a quick audio rating and it turns out I ran into a neighbor who was having a smoke. We discussed the beer and, in the course of the conversation with the recorder running, I made my observations that are captured here over the course of a 5 minute conversation.

This will be a staple of our future tastings with the neighbors!

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

25oz wax dipped bottle poured into Pilsner glass.

A. 2+ fingers of very fine bubbled head. Decent retention. Not a lot of lacing. Color is a ruby red brown.

S. Smell is somewhat vegetal. Has a subdued sourness too it. Has cherry smell that comes out as it warms. Cherry smell is of actual cherries and not syrupy or artificial smelling like some fruit beers. I think that is one reason that the smell is a bit restrained.

T. Taste is pretty much all a showcase to the cherries. Really lovely cherry flavor. All natural and not artifical or syrupy flavor. Nice marriage of sweet and sour. Really delicous. When you drink this you can understand why the bottle says a marriage of beer and wine.

M. Medium/light bodied. Well carbonated. Actually quite a bit of mouthfeel for a 4% beer. Finishes with just a little sweetness.

O. Probably one of the best fruit beers I have had yet. Just a real natural fresh taste that most breweries are unable to pull off. This beer is all about the fruit, and I can't imagine a better showcase than Belgian Red. New Glarus is a top notch brewery.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A trip to this brewery was well worth it. This beer comes in a larger bottle with wax over the cap.

The "red" pours with a nice powerful head and is bright red in color. The nose is very fruity.

Taste is fresh, sweet, very cherry and clean and at the same time a little earthy. The sweet and earthy seems like an impossible combination. The mouth feel is like sweet tarts. Lots of bite. This is such a refreshing beer for a summer day. Best served cool. The only reason I discounted the drinkability is the sweetness. It may be hard to drink much of this at once. I would be hard pressed to find a better beer in this category. It is easy to see how this beer won the Belgian beer contest IN BELGIUM!!

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a waxed 750 ml bottle into a tall New Glarus Signature Pilsner Glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep amber red with a lot of rising bubbles. Solid two fingers of light pinkish white head which slowly fade into a thin creamy layer. Leaves a lot of creamy lacing around the glass.

Smell: A crisp, sweet, and very juicy aroma with a huge scent of cherries and some yeast. Very fruity and juicy throughout with a big upfront scent of fresh cherries. The fruit smells nicely sweet and tart but far from cloying. Bready presence of wheat and pale malt with hints of grains, yeast, and cracker. Also some hints of oak and vanilla. Subtle presence of earthy hops in the background. A really great juicy aroma.

Taste: Like the aroma hints at, a juicy, sweet, and spritzy taste with a huge presence of cherries along with some malt and subtle hops. Big dominate taste of fresh cherries which taste nicely tart with a good restrained sweetness. Solid backing presence of bready wheat and malt with notes of grain, cracker, and yeast. Some notes of oak and light vanilla come through. Subtle background notes of earthy hops as well. A very good juicy fruit taste.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a fairly high level of carbonation. Very juicy, spritzy, and creamy. Sweetness is nicely balanced. Very smooth feel.

Overall: A really great fruit beer. One of the best American takes on the style. Great taste of real fresh cherries.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Got to love the wax sealed 750ml bottle.Pours a really wild looking candy apple red. Not much of a head but lots of fizz up from the bottom.

Smells quite cherryish. Shocker eh?

Tastes like liquid pie. There's really not a whole lot to tell about it. Very sweet up front with a slight drying sweetness in the back. It's complexity lies in the fact that it tastes like eating a cherry man!

Mouthfeel is quite syrupy, which I enjoy in my pie.

I like pie.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a hazy brownish red with a reddish white head that quickly dissipates. Aroma is awesome. Smells like a Cherry Crisp fresh out of the oven; tartness of the cherries mingled with the sweetness of the brown sugar and cinnamon. I could sniff this one endlessly. Taste is dominated by cherries, but a wonderful balance between sweet and tart has been struck. Medium mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. Drinkability is maintained by the balance between the sweetness and tartness; my 750ml bottle was gone too quickly. While I'd still prefer a good IPA or porter overall, this is a very good beer that is excellent within it's style and can make for a nice change of pace.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Big thanks go out to Zimmerbloke for yet another great concoction from Wisconsins finest! I split the 750 with my wife as a dessert beer.

The pour into two tulips is straight up cranberry juice with a 3 finger ecru head atop. No lacing is evident.

Smell is sweet and sour cherries. A little medicinal quality gives it a little kick.

Taste is sweet tart cherry pie with the spice to boot. Nutmeg and allspice help round out the flavors.

Mouthfeel is moderate and sticky. The drinkability is way to easy. I drank my portion way to quickly and wished for another glass immediately.

ISO more! Amazing beer I would enjoy frequently if I lived in Wisconsin. Track this down and drink it now! You will not regret it.

#100th Review

Poured and shared with friends, as part of bday celebration for a work buddy and myself.

Poured into 4 seperate glasses. Body is dark red, near amber. Has a hazy hue that is rather glowing when held up to light. Faint head, with a finger post pour, but which quickly dissipates. No real head to speak of.

Wow. Umm...wow. The nose reminds me of (dare I say it?)...watermelon jolly ranchers. Seriously. I mean, I thought I was crazy, but it is so dang potent. I think it is more of an insult to Jolly Rancher than New Glarus, but so much candied cherry comes off the nose it is divine. Mild dryness, but the cherries are the main attraction.

More of the same. Watermelon Jolly Rancher. Seriously. Oak notes come in through the mid body, which leaves a mild tingling sensation through the finish. Incredible cherry domination though. Cherry, cherry, and more cherry. Sweet, light and playful. Not cloying in any sense. The beer is there, but the cherry flavor is most pleasant. So well done and balanced, even for the amount of raw cherry flavor that is there.

Mild carbonation, with an oily mouthfeel that lingers well into the next sip.

I am super impressed. An exceptional beer. Makes me look forward to their Raspberry Tart with much more anticipation and longing.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Cool artisial green bottle with red wax seal over the cap and neck. Murky, dingy reddish-brown color. Pink tinged beige rocky head. Fades to a nice thin sheet over the beer. WOW ! is right, incredible full, fresh cherries. Earthy, stems, skins, the whole damn thing in there. Unbelievable aromas. Taste is tart, sweet, and chock full of fresh cherries. Liquid cherry pie. Sweetness shines more that sour, although there is a sharp sour after-taste that finishes up, but doesn't distract. Full cherry taste is every sip. Tight full carbaonation. Medium to light bodied, but more medium. Very good, either as a refreshing guzzler or a sipper. Wow an impressive beer and a treat to be sure. Thanks to bditty, I think this is the last beer of our blockbuster trade last year.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Woh! Impressive appearance. Muddy reddish brown with pink hints, but most of all: a monstruous cloud (darker than the rest of the pour) stalls scarily in suspension in my glass. Superior head, white, very sticky and foamy. Stellar visual. I'll be damned if this doesn't smell quite as good as the raspberry tart, of course both are very similar besides being made from distinct fruits. Pure cherry pie made of pure fresh cherries. Moreover, this is a children's puree, cherry flavoured, this stuff used to be good, admit it, we had some all over our clothes when we used to eat the stuff. Decadent dessert material, fresh, lovely, crisp, sweet, superb focus, chocolatey, caramelic.
Barry: "Oh my god, oh my god"
Martin: "I'm gonna try and find some defaults for you"
Well this is very sweet, but damn, one can't help but help it and anyone who hates beer would love it. Just decadent pie flavor with restrained oakiness. My only complaint (severe judging) is that the acidity could be more pronounced as this is extremely sweet. It tasted like it was baked.. spicy with vanilla notes. And a "wow" creamy velvety body with a surprisingly above average carbonation, biting actually. Legendary beer from the world's best non-lambic fruit flavored beers brewer hands down. Thanks again Nexxus.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

A pint sized bottle poured into a stemmed glass. No bottled date. Many thanks to BeerFMAndy for the trade!

(A)- Pours a dark red maroon with ruby red highlights with an off-white to pink head that quickly disspated.

(S)- Sweet yet tart cherries that smell so creamy, that it smells just like a cherry pie with whipped cream! Biscuity/ sugary pie crust; amazing!

(T)- Mountains of sweet yet tart cherries that pretty much is equivalent to how it smells. New Glarus has officially bottled and liquified cherry pie into beer form! Delicious.

(M)- Ample carbonation level that borders on fizzy, but it fits the beer perfectly. Sweet, yet near puckered levels. Fantastically balanced and complex.

(D)- I could drink this all day if I could. A great dessert or apertif beer that would even please and surprise those non-beer drinkers that you know!

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance - in need of something fruity, guaranteed to wash away the taste of a few spoiled bottles. I've had this one since last April - it's time. Pours a clouded, dirty red into a lambic flute. The layer of foam has a purplish ring at the top, like the cherry sediment is trapped and can't fall through the head.

Aroma - earthy, intense, pulpy cherries, outstanding. Not over the top sweet or sugary. For its intensity it's not a heavy aroma, very nice.

Taste - sweet cherry juice, then a hit of green apple tartness. Mmmm... There is a faint hint of graininess behind the tart, it peeks out when I'm not paying attention. The aftertaste is dry and tart with an acidic fruit finish.

Mouthfeel - almost a soft drink level of carbonation. The smoothness is like orange juice; it really amplifies the fruit and carries the beer up a notch.

Drinkability - what a fruit beer. Too heavy for sessioning, but awesome for sharing and tastings.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Although I have had this beer many times over the last 7 or 8 years, I never felt rushed to review it, figuring I'd just get it next time.

The time is now, after we split a five year old bottle last weekend (thanks so much Marty) in the backyard.

I was amazed that the fruit presence was still so prevalent, the cherries as fresh and juicy as the day they went into the barrels. I was blown away by how well this one held up for such a low alcohol beer.

Pours a hazy reddish-brown color with a suggestion of slightly pinkish foam on top. The aroma is all fresh cherries, with a very light tartness, some vanilla and malt. Light bodied and refreshing, lightly tart, a little malt, but mostly delicious fresh cherries.

Incredible.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Got in a trade: thanks RRC87! My first winter shipment so I had to have a cold one right out of the box. Split with my wife.

A. Pours a hazy deep red with brown and burnt orange highlights. A small off-white head rises up ever so slightly and leaves night trails of residual lacing down the glass.

S. Tart cherry with vanilla, a touch of oak, and a bit of medicinal character.

T. Tart cherries with some oaky wood character. These give way to a bit more sweetness with some vanilla and a touch of lemon juice. Ends fairly dry with just a touch of residual tartness.

M. On the light side of medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation that helps pick up the residual flavors on swallow.

D. Incredibly drinkable - I wasn't a big fan of the raspberry tart so I got these for my wife not expecting to like them too much. It looks like I'll be trading for some more of these in the near future.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Acquired this beer from dunt via Support Your Local Team BIF so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!

A: This beer pours a very light reddish, brown color with one finger of sudsy almost rose colored head. Head recedes rapidly and leaves sticky spider webbed lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is of extremely sweet candied cherries. Somewhat like a chocolate covered cherry.

T: Taste starts with a nice sweet candied cherry flavoring. Taste then moves in to an almost chocolate covered cherry flavoring before a nice tartness comes in and really holds through the finish.

M: Light bodied, medium carbonation, nice crisp with a dry finish.

D: Goes down ridiculously easy, not too filling, mild kick, this is a great beer that I could have again and again.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to burnheartsMKE for sending me this one!

Pours a murky cranberry juice red with a tiny 1/2 light red head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. No lacing whatsoever. Smells of fresh sweet cherries in their own juice. A very fresh and mouthwatering smell. Taste is very much like the liquid form of a cherry flavored Jolly Rancher. Very sweet yet slightly tart at the same time in a perfect balance. This is a very carbonated beer that is very crisp and clean in the mouth. Overall, an awesome fruit beer all around and probably the best cherry flavored beer I have ever had. I will seek out more of these for sure.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

I poured this one from a 750ml green waxed and crown-capped bottle into my New Glarus tall flute glass.

A= This beer poured a light and bright red color with thin fizzy pink and white head. The head quickly dropped to zero and did not leave any lace on the glass.

S= There was an incredible aroma on this beer. I found lots of fresh cherry and almond/marzipan in the nose. It was simple and perfect.

T= Very good flavor profile of cherries (obviously fresh - not canned or concentrate) and almond paste. Sweet but not cloying in any way. Slightly tart in the finish with a lingering cherry aftertaste.

MF= Medium bodied with a crisp carbonation level that felt great on the tongue.

D= A world class beer for sure and deserved of all the hype. Easily my favorite fruit beer ever and one I will gladly have again and again.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

A: A dark cherry red body crowned with a minimal light pink fizzy head that dissipates to island foam rather quickly.

S: Sweet tart cherries (duh!) that tickles the nose. Smells wonderful with almost a medicinal hint to it. Reminds me of Ludens cough drops, but in a good way.

T: Cherries. Cherries. Cherries. Almost a sweet/tart cherry cider with not hops of malts detected. A dry finish, but long lasting. Not a fan of fruit beers, but this is very pleasant.

M: Spritzy texture, lively carbonation, and a light body.

D: Truly enjoyed this beer. This is the first fruit beer I've really enjoyed and wished I had a second bottle. Easy to drink and amazing flavor.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

A cloudy rich red color. Poured aggressively, a full finger off white head that fades quickly, light lacing remains. The smell initially came across to me as being very sweet and similar to maraschino cherry syrup. The aroma really led me to think that what would follow would be as sweet. Full bodied, the mouth feel is lightly carbonated and complemented by a cherry sourness that flows through the mouth like a syrup. Full flavored, the big cherry taste reminds me of a tart cherry pie filling. This is way too easy to consume.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company