Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 944 | Hads: 3,134
2.12/5  rDev -51.3%

Notes cannot describe my complete disgust with this beer. I’ve tasted it several times and I am still flabbergasted that people actualy enjoy it. I can't stand the sweetness and I don’t want to taste pie crust in a fruit beer. I do love the raspberry tart though, but that is very balanced and succulent. (306 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -50.8%

Bottle thanks to Glouglouburp. Beautiful ruby pour with a bit of frothy pinkish foam. What can I say about this beer, let's see, at first the aroma was super intriguing, tons of real cherries. Very intense and inviting. Shortly after the initial whiff though, it starts to smell like cough medicine (still okay but not quite my favorite smell) and then it actually starts to literally smell sweet. Okay, taste now. The first few sips are like the first few whiffs of smell. Great real cherry taste, sweet and definitely not sour.
5 minutes in and I'm sick and tired of the syrupy flavor. Palate is flat and super sticky. I wanted to like this beer so bad, but in the end three of us ended up drinking a quarter of the bottle. I do believe it will make great ice cream sauce. (774 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -48.5%

Got this as an extra in a trade from TPatuto. Thanks giving me the opportunity to try this!

One of the bottles from New Glarus I was looking forward to opening on Thanksgiving.

This beer was a dark cherry color. I was expecting maybe a fiery red but the beer was kind of dark. My nose was engulfed in a storm of black cherries. That's about all I could smell. Not even a hint to it being a beer. I would think this is just black cherry soda.

The taste was very sweet. In fact, I thought it was way too sweet and a strong black cherry flavor overpowered the beer. There was a slight ketchup taste that I find in flemish sours. It was very hard to get through the bottle by myself. By the end I was in celebration that I was able to finish it.

I feel their Raspberry Tart is a much better fruit beer than this one. (816 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -48.5%

750 ml bottle poured into my lambic glass.

A- Body is beautiful. Its a nearly transparent, rich, dark, gem-like, cherry hue. Pours with a 1-2 finger foamy pink head. Head retains well at about 1/2 finger and leaves plenty of lacing down the glass.

S- Ripe cherry. Like when you open a jar of cherries soaked in cherry juice. Very rich. Cherry pits, cherry tartness, cherry sweetness. Not artificial whatsoever.

T- Taste is similar to the smell. Its very cherry all the way through. A hint more tart than sweet but there is a slight cherry pit woodiness to it as well. Taste is pretty consistent the whole way through and the flavor lingers for a while.

M- Low to medium carbonation with a rich, thick, and sticky mouthfeel.

D- In short I didn't really like this beer at all. I drank one lambic glass full and gave the rest away-which is easy because this is a very popular beer. To me it gave the impression of cough syrup without the medicinal aspect (which would have been an improvement...IMO). I really respect that this beer is all cherry without being artificial...which is why I am trying not to slam it too much...but this brew is just not for me. (1,160 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -44.1%

A: cloudy reddish brown with a quickly diminishing light tan head receding to a collar of thin lace.
S: cherry cough syrup and some woody/earthy notes.
T: cherry cough syrup and some woody earthy notes as above. medium/full sweetness, tartness and sourness equally so. these two intermingle in a long sweet and sour dark cherry finish.
M: light to medium body, much bigger than the abv would suggest, i suppose from the residual sugars. kinda slick from the remaining sugars as well.
D: was excited to try this, but somewhat let down. a darkish cherry 7-up mixed with some children's cherry cough syrup would be an apt comparison. hopefully this review (with it's high rDev and low score on a high rated beer) won't get deleted. (730 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -43.7%

A- Poured a red color that was pretty bright and clear. I knew I was in trouble right then.

S- Smells like a cup of freshly mashed cherries, and some yeast thrown in there.

T- Big and strong cherry flavour and I'm not digging it at all.

M- Great for the style.

D- Way to sweet for me. Glad I got to try it and split this one with a few others. (351 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -38.2%

Been wanting to try this, I do like cherries and Founders Cerise is a beer I enjoy. Had it with a monster tasting of the New Glarus fruit beers.

Pours a darker pink. white head. looks like what I expected a fruity cherry beer to look.
Good carbonation.

Smell is a little off-putting. given reviews thusfar, was hoping for a rich, real cherry vibe. literally smelled like cough syrup or some sort of cherry flavored medicine to my nose.

taste backed up the smell. too sweet. medicinal fake cherries dominate. Compared to the Cran-bic (excellent) and the Raspberry tart (decent), this beer rated the lowest.

Mouthfeel was fine for a medicinal oversweetened cherry beer.

Move along, this isn't the fruit/cherry beer you're looking for. I'm certainly surprised at the ratings around these parts. (799 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

4/7/2012

Thanks!

A: Light red with some transparency and a long lasting beige head.

S: Strong cherry presence but the fruit comes across as artificial and medicinal, like cherry cough syrup. Malt is sweet and crackery.

T: Again, cough syrup. Candied cherry cough medicine. Very sweet.

M: Lower medium body with upper medium carbonation.

Overall: I recall liking this quite a bit when I've had it before, but this was too similar to cherry cough syrup. The Raspberry Tart blew it away. (491 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -37.2%

from 5/28/10

I've been very excited to try this beer but deciphering the label has been difficult for me over the past several weeks. After much interweb searching, I was finally able to determine that Wisconsin was indeed part of the Anheuser-Busch sale to InBev which is why this beer can legally be called as it is.
A clear ruby pour with negligible carbonation. I want a fountain of pink foam, but there is a pitiable white dust above the clay. Cough syrup? Ny-Quil? Ahhh, no. Ludens cherry cough drops. They never worked, they were childish and sugary candies. No reward should be given for coughing! That will never ameliorate the situation. As coughing children, we should've had ginger punched into our ears. A much more likely solution to the ole coughing epidemic.
The taste, however, is not bad, heavy, heavy on the cherries with a nearly cloying sweetness and not much else. As the beer warms, it becomes more tolerable, the cherries become more lively, and the experience much more pleasant. Maybe, again. (1,019 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -37%

Sampled through the efforts of 120/190 BIF and lostbearbrew.

Pours a completely opaque reddish brown beer with not a great deal of head. In the looks department this one looks like real crap.

Smell is sweet and sour fruit aroma of raspberries. Not much more in the smell here except the fruit and a lemon edge. Scent is very much like Raspberry Lemonade.

Taste is extremely sweet with the favor of raspberry and tobacco in the first sip. Shockingly sweet with a sour after taste to match it. The after taste of this is all pipe tobacco. Quite powerful and not all that complex.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Well this is official not a favorite beer of mine. Far too sweet and sour this is something like over sweetened Kool aid with tobacco thrown in it. Not recommended. (776 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -36.6%

This beer poured a dark dirty cherry color. It doesn't look exactly like a fruit beer but not really a normal beer either. Fizzy white head, medium in size, not really too much lacing. Aroma is exactly like cherry fruit gushers. I mean it's identical. I can't really get past it, I like it but in my beer? Taste once again has that cherry fruit gusher quality to it. Cherries aren't as tart as I expected. They're more sweet and almost taste fake. Body is somewhat thick and has a nice fizzyness to it. The first glass of this bottle was good but the second glass was tougher. Started to get cloying and too much cherry. Reminiscent of cherry juice. Sorry, I didn't care for this one. (684 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -35.9%

Kinda ticked, as I'd reviewed a few nights ago while enjoying, and posted, but it's no longer here, so I'm reviewing based solely on memory.

Red in the glass so that when held up to the light, it looks like the cherry on a policecar. Pretty for a bright red beer.

Smells like a cup of freshly mashed cherries, but with obvious undertones of a Belgian - I'm intrigued!

If you're into drinking alcoholic jam, this one's for you. While it is pretty incredible what they've done to incorporate cherries here, it's just not a right for a beer in my opinion.

The mouthfeel is definitely the high-point here, being exceptionally smooth and inviting.

Because it's just so overloaded in sweet cherry, it's just not something that should be enjoyed more than as a dessert beer. (as I was left to enjoy the entire bomber by myself) (830 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -33.6%

It's been years, almost a decade, since I last tried this beer. I wasn't a big fan of it the first time around; I took a greater liking to their Raspberry Tart and have since picked up that when I see the two side-by-side. Either way, the lady and I were having spaghetti at her place so I thought this would make for a good pairing. Poured from the trademark waxed 750 into a pretty standard water glass (she isn't quite yet to BA level, but she's getting there...)

A - Carbonation is kinda odd with this sucker. As I pour, there's no head. When I finish, it jumps up to an inch (on a soft pour) and then dissolves as quickly as it appeared, leaving no discernible lacing. When shaken, the bubbles appear and disappear yet again. Other than color, which is bright clear red (almost like a red soda), this resembles champagne in every regard. I wouldn't doubt that champagne yeast was at work in the creation of this brew.

S - Smells strongly of syrupy cherries; like maraschinos, cherry Torani, black cherry soda or red cough syrup. Not being a big fan of syrupy cherries (or cough syrup, for that matter), this smell is lightly nauseating to me. There really isn't much noticeable beer aroma here -- just overpowering cherry -- and I'm kind of wishing there was.

T - Tastes allay some of those syrupy fears. This is dry and bubbly with a strong cherry flavor. Thankfully, the flavor shows real cherries, probably from the Northwest (Ranier or Bing). This is far more pleasant than the aroma led me to expect. There's also a fruity alcohol taste that reminds me of fermented apple cider -- not hard apple cider, but regular unpasteurized apple cider that's gotten a bit dated and in which wild yeasts have started converting the sugars.

M - This hits a number of places on the palate. At the outset, it's bubbly and light and sparkles on the tongue. Then its sweet with a light syrupyness that ends dry and sticky. Despite all of this, the feel is soft and dry and makes me salivate after 10 seconds or so. Fun complexity.

D - Ehhhh. Pretty tough to do much of this. Especially considering the bottle size, I'd say you almost have to share it with someone, or probably someones. That sticky syrupyness is pretty tough to get over and I think it would give me gut-rot if I tried to drink this bottle myself. It's food pairing qualities (see immediately below) are causing me to kick this up a whole point above where I normally would've in this category.

F - This is an incredible drink to pair with food, especially dessert, because its one of those rare beers that will add a whole new component to a dish. I'm pressed to think of any food that would stand up to it's sweet cherry flavor, but I can think of a billion that it would be great with in terms of a contrast: vanilla bean cheesecake, sweet chocolate, peanut butter sandwich, fruit salad, duck confit (depending very much on what's with it), sugar cookies, etc. Interestingly enough, I had it with homemade spaghetti sauce and found it to match perfectly. It provide a fantastic sounding board to the acidity of the tomatoes and balsamic/red wine vinegars, the dark strength of the herbs and spices and the grainy nuttiness of the pasta. This beer likes food. Additionally, I wouldn't doubt that it'd make a great reduction sauce on its own. I'll have to try that one of these days.

O - I must say, the syrupy stickiness is a bit too overpowering and the malt a bit too under-powering for my tastes. I have real trouble trying to figure out how this ends up as the best beer in WI according to reviewers on this site. Overall, I think this has much more in common with soda (or sweet champagne) than it does beer and that's probably why it gets such great reviews. Everyone loves pop. I'm not a big fan, so I don't think this floats my boat as much as the next geek. However, it does have an amazing affinity for food and, approached from that standpoint, I find it to be quite useful and amazing. Either way, it's certainly an interesting brew and still leagues beyond most ridiculous attempts at this style. (4,092 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -32.2%

Poured into my goblet a very cloudy reddish/brown with just a thin little lace of head around the rim.

Smell was completely and totally cherries, fresh cherries too, not some fake sweet cherry smell.

Flavor is completely and totally dominated by cherries, slightly sweet and slightly tart at the same time. A think its a little overpowering for my taste and really barely has any beer likeness at all.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied, but with a touch of slickness to it.

Drinkability is low, I don't think I could drink to much of this one, In fact finishing off the 750 I opened was starting to be a struggle. (619 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -32.2%

Poured a nice ruby red with a small off-white head.

The aroma of the beer was full of sweet and tart cherries and some malty sweetness in the background. No hops or alcohol on the nose.

The flavor of the beer was full of sticky sweet cherries. In fact, it was like drinking carbonated sweet cherry cider - the non alcoholic kind. Is this really a beer?

The carbonation was adequate, but the mouthfeel was deathly syrupy.

I did not really enjoy this as a beer. If it were bottled as a non-alcoholic cherry cider, I would have believed it. IMO, it was a syrupy overrated mess. (578 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -31.5%

Being a huge fan of New Glarus and pretty much everything I've had from them, I was pretty excited to finally try this one. I love cherries, so this has been a want for a bit.

The appearance and smell were awesome. Nice reddish hue and big cherry smell. Good carbonation. Not a huge head. Looking good so far.

Then....I tasted it and I felt like I was a kid again when Mom was trying to shove that synthetic flavored 'cherry' swill down my throat when I had a boo boo. I took another sip, then another, then another...then stopped. Wife tried it and like it...wife gets bottle of Belgian Red.

Really disappointed, esp after how much I love Raspberry Tart and Serendipity. This was not good, at least to me. Wife thought otherwise. (733 characters)

Got this as a gift from wellestone. Thank you, Chad. Shared with gwuilliums on Friday night. Poured chilled from 750ml bottle into tulip glasses.

A: Burgundy/red color. Decent head formation and retention. Carbonation persists. Some lacing.

S: Holy Mother of All that is Cherry! This does not smell like beer. It smells like a jar of tart cherries straight from Traverse City. Wow. I can not believe what I am smelling, then I read the bottle. "Over a pound of cherries in every bottle." Yep, now I get it. The one thing that I will say is that the smell is of of clean/fresh cherries. No cough syrup qualities at all.

T: Tastes like cherries topped with cherries and further topped by cherry topping. Really, just clean, concentrated tart cherry juice. I am not sure that this has any beer qualities at all.

M: This has a very nice medium body and excellent carbonation. But man, it is hard to get your head to stop thinking about the uber cherry taste in your mouth long enough to get the feel!

O: This beer is not for me, so, in keeping with my previous methods, when reviewing a beer that I would never drink again, I am rating this beer as straight 3's. (1,164 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -30.8%

2015-07-05
750ml capped/red waxed green bottle. Arrived here indirectly via @mr-jj. 238 A3 2333 is printed on the bottom of the bottle. Wax is wrecked. Looks like this bottle endured some heat before arriving with me.

Pours ruby/pinkish with a small, very light pink (white with a slight reddish tinge) head. Smell is sweet, cherry, a little soap.

Taste is godawful sweet. Makes me think of Mort Subite, although not quite so bad. There is a little tartness to this (not so with Mort Subite). Sweet cherry, cough medicine. Cherry syrup. Seriously makes me think of the sweetened cherry concoction on the cherry kijafa crepes my wife likes to get when we go out for breakfast.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light and dry for the sweetness. Overall, it's OK. It's way too sweet to be great. (788 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -30.3%

The bottle looks great with its red wax seal over the cap. The beer pours nice with a decent head. The color is a burnt orange red. I would opt to drink this over many desert wines. It is not the type of beer that I would want to drink in larger quantities. I was surprised how strong the cherry flavor was until I read they put a pound of cherries in every bottle. Honestly I would have liked it better if it tasted more like beer. (432 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -30.1%

Split a bomber 3 ways; from notes.

Pours deep red, head has a slight pink hue. A very strange yet enticing look that really begs you to find out more.Smells like cherry syrup, kind of a "cherry burnetts (vodka) smell" as someone else around the table said. Unfortunately the cherries in the nose are a little bit too candy-like to smell fresh. Tastes like black cherry soda pop, fresh cherries, citrus rind, and bubble gum. Honestly it tastes closer to cherry soda then it does beer. Lively carbonation, medium bodied but a touch syrupy. Drinkability suffered for me, it was just too sweet and too cherry-y. A few people at the table were getting frustrated because they wanted to move to the next beer in our tasting and I was taking too long to finish my pour. I think that says something about its drinkability.

I fear this one doesn't live up to the hype for me. I was especially let down because I had just had New Glarus's Unplugged Cranbic the night before which really impressed me so I had especially high expectations. (1,031 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -29.7%

A - a dull red with a white head.

S - a ton of cherries. Also a bit of cinnamon

T - a ton of cherries, a bit of cinnamon. Slight tart/ sour.

M - thin side of medium.

O - yep it's a fruit beer. I'm glad I tried it? I will not be seeking this out again. Could not drink more than 1/2 a glass, just too much. (312 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -29.4%

I was quite surprised at this beer, surprised and disappointed. Normally I am a fan of all things new glarus but this beer was just too damn fruity. It smells like cherries, it tastes like cherries, it's cherry red. I mean, I like cherries and all but this stuff is like cough syrup. I wanted some beer with my fruit salad. One glass was enough, one bottle was far too much. For a brewery that ordinarily makes such well-balanced beers, this cherry thing has gotten a little out of hand. If I wanted juice, I wouldn't be drinking beer. (535 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -29.4%

A ~2-year old WBR

Not an overly impressive offwhite foam head... No lacing either. Brew is hazy beet red.

Phew! Tons of syrup-y, sugary, cherry... A bit over whelming. Slight horse blanket funk too, is this normal?

Very dry, not as I expected. Slight off cherry flavor, very sweet, almost too much so. Perfect carbonation. Near offensive, pungent, cherry flavor.

A bit all over the place and a bit over done... This brew is a bit over rated, IMO. I wont seek it again, it would also be hard for me to recommend. I much prefer Raspberry Tart. Thanks Nick for sharing! (571 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -29.2%

I had this beer to celebrate my brother moving into his new house and I was anticipating this to be the greatest beer ever. When i saw the beer It wasnt the most impressive beer i have ever seen, but i felt that when you make a cherry beer it would look like this, in that aspect the brewer had gotten exactley what they wanted. The smell was wonderful. When you are making a cherry beer you should smell Cherrys and nothing but. That is exactly what i smelled. The taste hit me as medicinal. I dont like to ever speak bad of beers but i could not shake the fact that it tasted like cough medicine. The mouthfeel was an exception to the taste. The beer seemed to be perfectly carbonated and didnt give me any reason to review it as bad. The drinkability of this beer was not good FOR ME. I emphasize for me because I know that there are people that could drink this like crazy but i am more of a beer guy and never drink wine. I feel bad to ever give out a bad review but to me this beer was like a fine painting that would never look good in my house but I can thoroughly appreciate the effort and time put into it. (1,116 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Attractive bottle with wax melted over the cap. No dates of any kind. I sort of wonder if I got an older bottle. Read on... Pours clear cherry red with thin head that almost immediately dissipated to a thin film. Obvious sweet cherry aroma with a little sour yeast. Taste follows smell - almost like an alcoholic cherry soda but with a somewhat pleasant lingering aftertaste of candied cherries. Not at all complex. I feel like this beer could use a little more balance, maybe a little more in the hops department. I couldn't taste any as it is. Medium bodied, light carbonation, sticky syrup. Overall, this is interesting and worth a try, but I would recommend splitting the bottle between four people. Try it with something of considerable contrast like salty rye or pumpernickel crackers and mild cheese like gouda. (818 characters)

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company