Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,036
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -3%

750ml. Poured into my snifter.

A: Pours a clear bright cheery red, with a 1/2" off white head that disapated quickly. Nice even ring of lacing in the glass left behind from the head.

S: Very tart and sweet cherries sent. Reminds me of cherry pie.

T: Wow! Thats nice! I read below that some one said this tatse like cherry ludens cough drops. They hit the nail on the head with that one. Its tart at first then finishes sweet.

M: I'd say on the heavier side of medium bodied. Very small carbonation, but hits the tonge just right.

D: This is a good beer! Definitley a sipper. I'm gona have no problem finishing this one on my own! Glad I got another one in the cellar waiting for me!

Dear New Glarus,
The candle wax you guys drizzle atop bottles of Wisconsin Belgian Red and Rasp Tart is ugly as sin. Not only does it look cheap, it's flimsy enough to fall into the beverage after opening the bottle. Either use a wax with heavier consistency or avoid waxing altogether. Thanks.

Anyway, WBR pours a handsome dark-red hue in my glass. Bubbly off-white head churns on the surface. Strong cherry-spice aroma fills my nostrils, reminiscent of the dark maroon cherries at my grocery store being dunked in a spicy cider.

Taste follows suit: fall spices meet fruit. The juicy mash retains a mild amount of sweetness -- just enough to keep things interesting. I remember this being much sweeter (overly so, a la Rasp Tart), which is simply not the case here. Delicious.

Yeah, I don't remember liking this as much as I did today. My last bottle was medicinal, yet today's sample was a well-crafted example of craft brewing. Would love to grab another bottle, preferably un-waxed :)

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Another pickup from my early May trip to Madison. 7-8 oz. in a Cantillon Flute on July 1st, 2012.

A - Looks a lot like Raspberry Tart. Darker red mahogany with a thin film of off-white head. Poor retention. Good lacing.

S - Fantastically ripened cherries and cherry pits. Lightly pruny. A bit of grass and other herbaceous notes which I'm attributing to the yeast.

T - Straight cherry juice, sweet strawberries, and a bit of sourness into the rear palate. Simple but wholly natural.

M - High carbonation, light body, semi-sweet finish with a tart cherry aftertaste.

D - Not quite as good as Raspberry Tart but as excellent as I'd hoped.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company