Wisconsin Belgian Red | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Reviews: 980 | Ratings: 3,367
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Had this out of the bottle on Friday night, celebrating the finishing of college. Thanks erocks for the trade, much appreciated!

Appearance: Hazy red-pink with a pinkish head and lacing that is sticky and wavy. Looks unlike much other beer I've ever had, and I really fail to see where the beer is in the appearance, but it still looks quite nice.

Smell: Very, very cherry. Sweet, sour, puckering cherry. Sugars still seem pretty present, and quite heavy in the fruity aroma. Wow, no hop presence nor any real maltiness, either, just fresh, flavorful cherries.

Taste: Identical to the smell, except more soda-like than beer. If I had not known better, I'd swear this is a cherry soda with no alcohol and certainly no hops. They just aren't there. Sour but not over-the-top, very sweet, and highly intense cherry flavors. I know this is the style, but man this is a very sweet beer, and it's tough to remember that it is, indeed, beer.

Mouthfeel: A little too syrupy for my liking, but also effervescently carbonated, a little too much so. It was like carbonated cherry syrup, which made it feel more soda-like once again. It could actually be a little scaled back and probably still be okay, but still, the sourness covers a lot of ground and makes up for a lot of that by giving a distinct and memorable mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Not excellent, for me anyway. Too sweet to really be consumer en masse, but not bad, either. Paired with the right dessert, I'm sure it's exquisite, and with the right lady, I'm sure it's even more so. An experience for sure, and worth trying.

4.87/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 750 into an Allagash Tulip. Red, with a slight brownish tent. Small amount of carbination with a small head, poured very, very cold.

Fresh Cherry pie filling on the smell, really awesome. Does not smell like cherry cough syrup, this is fresh pie filling. Such a sweet smell that it is almost cherry candy by the finish.

Taste almost exactly as it smells. Predominately cherry pie filling. Fresh and sweet with a small amount of tartness. Very small hints of alcohol at all, especially for a fruit beer

Smooth with the perfect amount of carbonation. This is refreshing, especially for the amount of sweetness that it has in it. Almost perfect as far as taste and mouth feel good.

This beer is very tasty, as close as a desert beer as I would think you could get. There is really no malt characteristic to this at all, Its like you are drinking a fruit soda, that is the only downfall

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

Wow. Everytime I have this beer I just have to savor it. (Especially since it's so tough to get for a North Carolinian!!) Special occasions...like Thanksgiving...are great times to break one of these out.

Sorry I had to give this a relatively low score in appearance, but this bottle poured a very hazy rusty red, but still had the nice pink head. I think I may have jostled the beer a bit before pouring it.
edit --> after trying two other bottles of this beer, I have to raise my appearance score. They have looked clear and very inviting.

The aroma is pure cherries. Pounds of cherries. Fresh cherries. Very clean.

The taste is what makes this beer. Sip and experience this; don't simply drink it. The cherries come through and the yeast adds a complexity along with a slight sourness.

Light and enjoyable, some effervesence.

A truly enjoyable beer. If you know about lambics and belgian beers, you'll appreciate this all the more. I wish I had another bottle!

4.59/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2015 vintage 750mL

L-brownish red, big pinkish red head
S-sweet cherry and oak
T-sweet cherry with a mild tartness and oak. very refreshing
F-smooth but pretty carbonated, almost like a soda but not in a bad way at all
O-love this offering from NG. Big fan of this beer

Beautiful dark tan with a hint of red color, bursting with cherry aroma. Taste of tart cherries, balanced by the sweet malt. Better than a cherry wine.

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

What a beer! Big bottle with wax opening into a champagne flute with the aroma of Door County. A pie crust colored head appears and grows to colossal size on top of a slightly brownish red body that looks like cherry jelly. The taste is sweet and then tart bringing me back to chopped cherry preserves on toast. It's like breakfast. The mouthfeel is lighter than expected but if it were heavier the jelly thing would take over the experience. This is a very drinkable beer. I don't like fruit beer much but this is always on hand.

4.54/5  rDev +4.1%

#100th Review

Poured and shared with friends, as part of bday celebration for a work buddy and myself.

Poured into 4 seperate glasses. Body is dark red, near amber. Has a hazy hue that is rather glowing when held up to light. Faint head, with a finger post pour, but which quickly dissipates. No real head to speak of.

Wow. Umm...wow. The nose reminds me of (dare I say it?)...watermelon jolly ranchers. Seriously. I mean, I thought I was crazy, but it is so dang potent. I think it is more of an insult to Jolly Rancher than New Glarus, but so much candied cherry comes off the nose it is divine. Mild dryness, but the cherries are the main attraction.

More of the same. Watermelon Jolly Rancher. Seriously. Oak notes come in through the mid body, which leaves a mild tingling sensation through the finish. Incredible cherry domination though. Cherry, cherry, and more cherry. Sweet, light and playful. Not cloying in any sense. The beer is there, but the cherry flavor is most pleasant. So well done and balanced, even for the amount of raw cherry flavor that is there.

Mild carbonation, with an oily mouthfeel that lingers well into the next sip.

I am super impressed. An exceptional beer. Makes me look forward to their Raspberry Tart with much more anticipation and longing.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a cloudy rusty cranberry color with significant sedimentation. Small, light cream colored head turns to film quickly.

Smell. Smells like cherries on crack! Sweet and tart cherry smell somewhat alternating. General vague spiciness and oakiness. Perhaps cloves, vanilla, and apple also present. It smells so good I can't wait to get my lips on it. As it got warmer, it developed more of a musty-venous quality.

Taste. Tastes as cherry as it smells. Excellent transitions from tart to sweet and back. Great balance between malt and hops, although, the hops are down played by the fruity spicy goodness.

Medium bodied. Nice dry, refreshing finish. Not syrupy or watery; just right. This ain't no kool-aid! Very drinkable, provided you wanted a cherry bomb. I thought I would get sick of the cherry taste, but I wanted more. Maybe a little too easy to drink.

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Thanks brdc for sending me fresh bottles.

This beer is close to absolute perfection.

The coloring is a festive red with a wimpy pink head. The flavor and aroma is of course cherry. Fresh cherries and not "cherry" flavor or artificial.
An ever so slight tartness begs you take another sip. A little fizz adds to the fun of drinking this. Thick and creamy.

This isn't overly sweet so drinkability is pretty high. Really an occasion beer. One of the best fruit beers I've had.
I hope to always keep this one on hand.

Outstanding beer experience.

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

A wonderful beverage, but I struggle a little to rate this, because it really doesn't have a lot of beer-like qualities. It takes a pretty vigorous pour to get much of a head. The aroma is a hedonistic cherry immersion, and the flavor is more of the same -- tart, fresh, delicious. Malt and hops are undetectable, as is the alcohol. Actually, even a little bit of an alcohol burn would push it to a higher level for me. Recommended, definitely, but I do have to rate it in the context of a beer.

4.24/5  rDev -2.8%

I'm torn on this stuff, because it's unrecognizable as beer. Nonetheless, I enjoyed drinking it.

Pours to a thin head with just a wee bit of lacing. The beer is opaque and a very natural ripe red color that goes amber around the edges. Smells like cherry pie -- down to the crust.

Tastes like rich cherry pie filling, with nary a hint of any typical beer flavors. Incredibly sweet, but rounds out with nifty souring in the end.

Despite the lack of observable bubbling this feels like it has some zippy carbonation. Maybe a watery feel, but Belgian Red jumps on your tongue so hard it's hard to get a good feel for it.

Yowsa. So sweet that it is best enjoyed in moderation. I will keep a bottle of this stuff around to haul out after dinner now and then -- or as a trap to snag the "But I don't like beer" people.

3.93/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The cherries predominate, and it tastes almost like a cherry-flavored soda or sparkling wine. Straddles the divide between beer and wine, to paraphrase the label. Interesting, quality product, but not sure I'd call it a beer.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Got to try a bottle of this last summer thanks to a beer trade friend. The colour was cloudy and amber with a temporarily thick head. The aroma was cherries, cherries and more cherries! On the palate, it was like getting a cherry pie in the face, and thoroughly enjoying it! Loads of pie cherry flavour, and even pie crust with hints of cinnamon and baking sugar. What a nice beer!!

4.31/5  rDev -1.1%

Consumed 11/30/10

Poured into a Bruery tulip

A: Pours a DEEP ruby red that glows wonderfully in the light. Highly carbonated and pours a lovely white-pink head that fizzles out after a few seconds.

S: I can smell cherries when I open the bottle. All I smell are fresh, juicy, tangy cherries.

T: Wow! It's like sucking on a cherry Jolly Rancher, without the high fructose corn syrup. Bright, punchy fruity flavor comes at my mouth fast, and the 4.0% alcohol isn't tasted at all, but lends to the overall construction, letting me know this is a beer.

F: Glazes my tongue in a red bath with a few fizzles here and there. Goes down very smooth.

D: Certainly not a gulper, but it's not too strong to declare it strictly a sipper. My first glass I finished very quickly and my second glass I nursed a bit more, tasting all the nuances as it warmed.

Many thanks to ericfb18 for this bottle in a recent trade

750ml bottle with red wax cap
Pours deep ruby copper color into my New Belgium glass. Forms about half an inch of foam that quickly dissipates. I'm lsurprised by how much lacing is left on the sides of the glass as I drink.

Smells of cherries--no shocker there, but there's a lot of different "cherry" smells and tastes possible. This strikes me as true; cherries soaked in a sweet alcohol, brandy possibly. The cherries are the star of the show for sure.

The taste is also heavy on the cherries--a mix of sour and tart with some maraschino thrown in the mix for sweetness. Make no mistake, this beer is sweet, but it is not overpoweringly so. It would probably pair best with a dessert, or heck even be a dessert.

Silky smooth mouthfeel with some tart carbonation towards then end; just about how this beer should feel

This is such an easy beer to drink. It's not easy for me to obtain and I couldn't see myself drinking it every night, and that's coming from someone who likes things on the sweet side of things. A delicious beer overall though and a great example of the style

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

L: An amber red through out. Light fizzy head that dsiapates quickly.
S: Very sharp trat cherries fill my nose immediatly followed by a nice sweet candy.
T: Cherries covered in vanilla at first. Sours apples follow which turns it in to a sweet and than sour.
M:Big fizz makes it feel nice and round
D: Awesome!!! Certainly a great fruit beer.

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Drank this one while walking the swanky small craft - large scale brewery.

A: Pinkish head with good retention and lacing. Reddish brown hue. Sparkling wine-esque hue but darker in glass.

S: Tart. Maltiness notes but overwhelmingly cherry mash.

T: Pure raw cherries, no extract sweetness. Meaty cherry taste with light malts and little to no hops detectable.

M: Bites a bit on the tongue with the tartness and in the throat. But the lasting coating of the massive 1lb of cherries per bottle makes it linger for days.

D: Really enjoyed this as a special and unique brew. Desert anyone?

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 1 pint 9 oz bottle, which I purchased at Market Place Grocery Store in Hayward, WI. Turbid, murky pink color. Minimal head that rapidly receded with scattered lacing.

Not suprisingly this smells of cherries as the bottle reads "over a pound of Door County cherries in each bottle". Not of artificial cherries, but rather the cherry streusel I used to get on Sundays at a local German bakery. No hops, no alcohol, no malt - pretty much only cherries.

Taste is very sweet with a tart sour aftertaste. Thick syrupy mouthfeel, similar to grenadine or maybe the syrup from marichino cherries. Sweetness limits drinkability.

Very unique beer and a lot of fun to try, but not something I would regularly drink. I can barely identify this as a beer. Similar to a lambic possibly. I think it would be great as an after meal drink similar to a dessert wine.

4.37/5  rDev +0.2%

Serving 22oz bottle, thanks to nflmvp and sinstaineddemon

Reveals a mixed tawny brown and venitian red through a slightly hazy body, ample miniscule bubbles race upwards toward a fine frothy pink tinted head. The head dissapates within a minute leaving just a very faint ring of tightly packed bubbles.

A medley of cherry aromas dominate a hugely aromatic nose, sweet cherry aromas take center stage supported by some tart and sour cherries with a bit of fruit punch and light floral aromas hanging in the background.

Sweet cherries flavor leads a suble entry followed closely by tart cherries on a soaring mid palate; flavors slowly evolve into a off-dry lingering sour cherry flavor thast lasts over half a minute. Tart cherry pie filling is the best description for this beer's flavor. Wow, this undoubtly hits the mark on a pure cherry ale.

Full on the palate with a delectable syrupy character, this goes down with ease offering awesome balance and nothing but delicious cherry flavors.

Barnone, this is one of the best cherry ales and fruit/vegetable beers available. It delivers on all accounts and sets a high standard by which all other fruit beers can be judged.

Cheers!

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from the waxed-dipped bottle into a NG flute.

The pour is a clear, light red color with an off-white cap. It's not as dark or as striking a red as you might expect. It's okay looking.

I don't know if I even want to put separate "Smell" and "Taste" sections here. This beer is cherries, cherries, cherries, and more cherries. On the sweet side, but not cloying. If you like a good cherry beer, this is it.

Mouthfeel is fairly syrupy, with low-medium carbonation. Smooth. This would be a perfect score with precisely 13 more bubbles.

Drinkability is pretty good. If you split the bottle with another person, you're in good shape - any more than that, and the sweetness of the brew might start to wear on you.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Grabbed this one as part of a big haul from Connecticut Avenue Wine and Liquor - big thanks to Al over there for coordinating an air-conditioned New Glarus truck-haul from Wisconsin to D.C.

After a few of New Glarus's 12oz beers, I finally cracked this bomber pretty much brimming with excitement. I had been hearing about New Glarus's fantastic fruit beers and sours for ages, so it was great to test that hyped-up mettle.

Poured a cloudy, deep red with some pink-white sudsy bubbling on the surface. Aroma was of sweet cherries, practically candied, all qualified by this overarching sourness and a little bit of bite. On tasting, that sourness turns out to be more of a tartness, with just a bit of the wild notes I was expecting. Still, that bite comes through just as it's needed to unhinge the balance that's otherwise too sweet. The mild carbonation and the medium body give this beer the reach across the mouth it needs to deliver all that tartness.

Having had this beer after New Glarus's Cran-Bic, I feel like this is just the inversion of sweet/sour I wanted. For me, Cran-bic was maybe .75 sweet to .25 sour. Switch those two values around, and exchange the cranberry for cherry, and you get this stellar Wisconsin Belgian Red. After having loads of Belgian Kriek's, this is an awesome response from Wisconsin.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

I've been fortunate enough to have had many samples of this one through the years, but waited until I had a new tasting opportunity to write a review.

Pours a deep, translucent red with off-white head made of dense bubbles. The nose displays a huge cherry essence along with some faint almond and a light mustiness. Flavor features a huge, juicy cherry flavor with just the right amount of sourness and tartness. This is not the "cough syrup" cherry you get from a lot of these fruit beers, but an exceedingly pleasant fruit flavor.

In the background is also a tangy "brown sugar/apple skin" element that really completes the complex flavor profile, and this represents a signature profile in this beer that I have tasted in no other. The complexity lends a vinous character that is marvelous.

NGBR is an absolute world classic, and a worthy recipient of it's excellent reputation and many awards. The perfect example of a beer that can make people who don't like beer, like beer. I've seen it happen many times.

I consider it the best fruit beer I've ever had. A must-try for anyone who can get their hands on it.

4.62/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a New Belgium globe glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark red with steady carbonation. Nice head that is reddish/tan in appearance.

Smell: I get a nice spicy belgian yeast character paired with a bold cherry aroma. Very pleasent and inviting.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A very good, smooth cherry flavor. Nice and sweet with a touch of oak character. Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Overall: A nice little treat that doesn't disappoint.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Wax top green bottle, something you don't see every day.

A- Pours a bright and ruby red. Initially there is a nice one finger off white head, the head has a nice pink undertone to it. Unfortunatly the head never lasted long, maybe it was my glass. Once the head dissapeared it looked like a glass of rose wine. The beer left no lacing either.

S- The smell is just pure cherries, but not fresh cherries. It smells more like a cherry pie. The smell is more earthy and nutty than fruity and tart.

T- The frist thing I notice is the tartness, it almost gets to the point where I make a sour face but backs off. After the sourness comes the delicious cherry flavor, this time more grassy and fruity than the smell. Finally the taste shifts to a dry oak and buttery taste, this really reminds me of a white wine.

M- Medium bodied with nice carbonation. The carbonation is nessicary the keep the tartness in line.

D- One or two glasses is pleanty for me so a whole bottle is too much. The tartness and fruit flavors become too much for my palete. I enjoyed this beer when it was cold, like fridge cold, it was fun to taste it as it warmed but I found it better cold. Also I really regret not pairing this beer with some food or cheese.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

Being in Maryland, this beer is much like Romulan Ale; I have a few people who sneak me some bottles now and then. Wish they distributed more widely, but I'm also glad to have some meaningful regional variability left.

The beer pours a reddish/amber hue, almost like thin blood. Little head, but strong carbonation. First hint of what you're about to get comes with the smell, a tart cherry aroma not unlike Dr. Browns dark cherry soda.

The taste, mouthfeel and drinkability are all harmoniously welded. The balance between sour and sweet is incredible. Each receptor in your tounge is overwhelmed with flavor. Once you start to quaff this elixer, it's hard to stop. The body just demands more and more. If Belgian Red was sold by the gallon that'd be fine with me.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company