Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,014
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros

Rihup, May 26, 2013

MattSharpless, Jul 24, 2014
4.48/5  rDev +2.3%

Shared this with the neighbors, and only managed about a four ounce pour. Wish I could have had more than that! It tasted like cough syrup, but in the best way possible. Like a bunch of those really good Luden's cough drops melted down in beer form. Mouthfeel was ok, but smell and taste were borderline perfection. WIll have to try this beer again (and not share next time!)

alysmith4, May 18, 2013

Mike, Aug 25, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -3%

JellyJacket, Dec 05, 2012

750mL bottle with the initial glass poured into a champagne flute (as instructed by the label, and the subsequent glasses from the bomber poured into a snifter)
no born on date or other distinguishing numbers

A big thanks to haveanother1 for sending this one over in a trade.

A: Pours a translucent amber with reddish accents and 1.5 fingers width of white head with a subtle pink hue.  The head takes a fair amount of time to dissipate away and leaves a firm layer of lace after each sip with cobwebs in between.

S: Smells of cherry of course, both fresh cherry along with a medicinal cherry cough syrup character.  Not much else going on here.

T: Again cherry, and again more of the medicinal artificially flavored cherry.  No doubt its sweet, but it also is surprisingly tart, which I like and think is absolutely necessary to balance out the sweetness.  Its  more tart than the raspberry tart, which is quite ironic.  Its also a touch oaky, and has some herbaceous, earthy notes.

M/D: Medium bodied, somewhat syrupy, moderate to highly carbonated, and slightly drying.  Drinkability is moderate at best, as the combination of the high carbonation and sweetness make this one just sit in my stomach and make me feel full and bloated.  When I review beers I like to drink the whole thing, but this one is definitely for sharing.  So grab a buddy or loved one before you break the wax seal on this one.

O: Overall, good not great.  As far as fruit beers go, this one is far better than most, but in my opinion the raspberry tart is much better.  This one seems much more artificial and generically flavored than the RT, which literally tastes like you are drinking fresh raspberries.  Certainly worth a try, but I probably wont seek it out again.

zac16125, Jul 07, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Friends from Milwaukee brought this to us during a recent visit. Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a small chalice, this ale pours a slightly opaque ruddy rouge, with minimal creme colored head that reduces to a ring clinging around the edge of the glass.

Has a sweet cherry aroma, with honey, strawberry, and grape. Almost smells like a melted cherry popsicle or cherry creme soda, the aroma is so sweet, clean and fruity.

A strong, almost overpowering cherry taste greets you, with spritzes of sweet underlaid with plenty of tart. Lemon, vanilla, raspberry and mild malt combine for a very fruit brew.

Tart, almost to the point of an involuntary pucker of the mouth, this ale leaves the tongue and gums tingling.

This "beer" is so tart and fruity, it's more fermented fruit juice than it is beer. The tart and sweet are so strong that they are almost too much; I have to sip this slowly to avoid pucker face as I drink this. While I'm sure this is a really good fruit beer for those who live fruit beers, this is just a little much for me.

TheHoppiest, Oct 29, 2011

DCLAguy11, Jul 21, 2014

fuzzcherry, Nov 28, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into New Glarus flute

A: Two finger head (yellowish pink), reddish amber brown, lots of bubbles.

S: Sour cherries, some barnyard smell, jam

T: Delicious. I think this one is slightly sweeter than Rasp Tart. It's not really sour or tart, but it's definitely more tart than sour. Taste lingers in your mouth in a pleasant manner.

M: Perfect. Light to medium thickness with sharp carbonation. Less dry than Rasp Tart.

O: I prefer Raspberry Tart over this (Raspberry tart is more refreshing, although less complex), but NG never disappoints. World class beer for sure.

sukwonee, Jun 21, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Wow, my 500th review. About 2 years ago I would have never guessed that I would ever try this many beers in my entire life. Oh well, here's to even more beer! I am forever in debt to Kevin (kmpitz2) for sharing this brew with me. 750mL bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a slightly hazy medium burgundy color with two fingers of slightly pink head. There is a good deal of lacing left on the glass. The smell is very very strong, with me getting my first whiff with the glass about 5 feet from my nose. Strong notes of maraschino cherry juice (one of my faves) and just a slight bit of sourness. Amazing. The taste is full of cherry as well, and just a bit of tart flavors going on. It's very sweet as well. I enjoy it, but not nearly as much as the aroma. The mouthfeel is decently strong and smooth for a fruit beer. The drinkability is superb. I could surely drink a few bottles easily. A remarkable drink, a wierd beer.

SheepNutz, Feb 03, 2005
3.98/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this as part of his haul while heading with a group of us to Wisconsin.

The appearance is a nice blood red color with the slightest of pinks adorning the head on the surface. Despite the cherries on the label the initial aroma that I gathered was of raspberries, and fresh ones at that. Accompanying the aroma is the sweet smell of cherry syrup. Now in describing the taste, there is basically a red fruit salad before me. Cherries, Raspberries, and hints of Strawberry to boot. The best part about the flavor of this beer in my opinion is that I actually can taste some beer maltiness behind it. That's really a pleasant surprise for me as far as the flavors are concerned. The mouthfeel is a tad too sweet for me to drink too much of but it's really a very solid fruit beer. One I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for said genre of brew.

Vdubb86, Oct 06, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -3%

schmidtmattsays, Dec 12, 2013

Booner818, Feb 14, 2014

Zonian1, Feb 26, 2014

Diomede, Nov 20, 2011

DSlim71, Mar 12, 2012
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

On tap at the New Glarus brewery, served in the NG Logo pilsner glass. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a nice bright garnet/ruby red color, slightly off white head, no retention or lacing to speak of. Looks pretty much exactly what you'd expect a beer with a pound of cherries to look like. The aroma is super heavy on the cherry, so powerful it at times reminds me of cough syrup, not in the best way either. However, it does also remind me of cherry jams, preserves and most importantly, delicious cherry pie. The flavor is much more approachable, obviously packed with cherries, slight malt backing, not enough to act as a pie crust, but enough to balance out the sweet and tart cherries with something earthy and neutralizing. The body is wonderful, light, crisp, bubbly, spritzing, juicy and full all at once.

Verdict: This is a fantastic fruit beer, probably the best fruit based beer you can find other than the fruit lambics that we love so much. New Glarus has hit a home run with this and almost all their fruit beers, hell, all their beers are dynamite, but this might be the star performer of their line.

kevanb, Jul 26, 2012

MrVonzipper, Apr 30, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

mkennedy119, Jul 03, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm currently licking my lips mid-glass, and tasting the beer on them. Opened this in honor of Halloween, and a Packers / Jets game. Shared it with my girlfriend and my roommate.

The appearance is maybe where I can find some fault, but honestly that might just be looking to nitpick. It appears thick and bit heady, great sustaining head. The smell just fills the nose with cherries and floral notes. Sweet. Tart. Cherries up front, puckery in the middle. Clean finish. Lovely.

Taste does a fruit beer as well as I've ever had. It's medium bodied, carbonated, feels thick. Extremely drinkable. I could have this all day.

afksports, Oct 31, 2010