Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,025
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into New Glarus flute

A: Two finger head (yellowish pink), reddish amber brown, lots of bubbles.

S: Sour cherries, some barnyard smell, jam

T: Delicious. I think this one is slightly sweeter than Rasp Tart. It's not really sour or tart, but it's definitely more tart than sour. Taste lingers in your mouth in a pleasant manner.

M: Perfect. Light to medium thickness with sharp carbonation. Less dry than Rasp Tart.

O: I prefer Raspberry Tart over this (Raspberry tart is more refreshing, although less complex), but NG never disappoints. World class beer for sure.

sukwonee, Jun 21, 2012

mgr78704, May 09, 2014

craft_shannie, Nov 11, 2012
3.41/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: a deep brownish garnet color. bright red garnet colors when held to the light. not quite opaque. a finger of a reddish tan head that leaves a strong lacing on the sides.

Smell: sweet cherry juice, some wheatiness. some caramel malts. very sweet and not overly complex

Taste: opens up with cherries. comes off as sweetened cherry juice. wheat and caramel malts.

Mouthfeel: fairly light and sweet. fairly sticky too

Overall: very sweet. too much so. taste a bit too much like a kids cherry juice. not as impressive as raspberry tart.

SportsandJorts, Apr 20, 2014

JellyJacket, Dec 05, 2012
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Out of a winelike bottle, coolness points for wax dripped across the cap. Pinkish red with minimal head.

Smell is a blast of cherries. Wonderful.

As best I can describe the taste, it goes:
cherry pie -->maraschino cherries --> sour cherries --> sweettarts

Mouthfeel compliments the taste nicely.

I split this bottle with several people, and found the taste to be quite enjoyable. But I really doubt that I could finish a whole bottle myself, I think the sweetness would get to me after awhile.

Certainly worth a try. I don't know that I'm really a big fan of fruit beers, but this one is nicely done.

Strix, Jan 31, 2008

Phobicsquirrel, Oct 26, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to Cosmohophead for lugging this one back from Darkness Day for me.

This beer pours a muddy ruby with a nice 3 inch cap that disappears into just a thin ring around the inside of the glass. The head lingers and leaves decent lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is undiluted organic cherry juice. No added sweeteners, no preservatives, just cherry. The flavor reminds me of organic cherry fruit roll ups. Concentrated tartness intermingled with cherry sweetness. Tasty, tasty stuff. For some reason, I also pick up just a hint of chocolate. Maybe some chocolate malts are added. This beer is utterly fantastic. The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy for me but really, that's a little thing. I don't know if this is the best American fruit beer (because that distinction could go to Raspberry Tart) but its damn close.

hwwty4, Dec 13, 2010

Unchi, Apr 13, 2014

fuzzcherry, Nov 28, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

Big thanks to jonstubb for this beer. Poured out in to a wine glass a murky dark pink, with lighter hues towards the top, and a small white/pink head. Smell is of fresh cherries and other fresh red fruits, jolly rancher, some vinous properties, hints of oak and wine. Flavor is composed of luscious cherries, pie crust, more oak, bits of tart funk here and there, but overall more sweet. Body is light, with wonderful carbonation that prickles the tongue ever so slightly. It is hard to believe that this is made up of malt and hops, as the fruit is so damn prevalent. Drinking this is far too easy, I could probably go through two bottles. This is close to being a perfect beer for me. If I lived in Wisconsin this would be in my fridge at all times.

jamie2dope, Nov 30, 2008

July2Nov, Jun 27, 2012

tswater, Oct 31, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -14.4%

BYOFB, Dec 02, 2012

moarmare, Sep 25, 2014
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

750ml into a tulip glass. Thanks to bobbypaulson for this want of mine!

A - Clear red/dark pink body with a bubbly pink head. Nice lacing and retention.

S - Amazing cherry aroma. It smells like a cherry chap stick...in a good way. Fresh and spicy with a bit of vanilla in the background.

T - Extremely strong cherries. Slightly tart and acidic with a smooth spicy backbone. Mouth feel is crisp and incredibly smooth and velvety.

O - Hands down the best cherry beer I've ever tried. The aroma and mouth feel are excellent, but the taste is a bit too tart for me. Amazing stuff here!

davey101, Nov 11, 2011
4.48/5  rDev +2.3%

Shared this with the neighbors, and only managed about a four ounce pour. Wish I could have had more than that! It tasted like cough syrup, but in the best way possible. Like a bunch of those really good Luden's cough drops melted down in beer form. Mouthfeel was ok, but smell and taste were borderline perfection. WIll have to try this beer again (and not share next time!)

alysmith4, May 18, 2013

inspektor, Sep 13, 2014
4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Friends from Milwaukee brought this to us during a recent visit. Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a small chalice, this ale pours a slightly opaque ruddy rouge, with minimal creme colored head that reduces to a ring clinging around the edge of the glass.

Has a sweet cherry aroma, with honey, strawberry, and grape. Almost smells like a melted cherry popsicle or cherry creme soda, the aroma is so sweet, clean and fruity.

A strong, almost overpowering cherry taste greets you, with spritzes of sweet underlaid with plenty of tart. Lemon, vanilla, raspberry and mild malt combine for a very fruit brew.

Tart, almost to the point of an involuntary pucker of the mouth, this ale leaves the tongue and gums tingling.

This "beer" is so tart and fruity, it's more fermented fruit juice than it is beer. The tart and sweet are so strong that they are almost too much; I have to sip this slowly to avoid pucker face as I drink this. While I'm sure this is a really good fruit beer for those who live fruit beers, this is just a little much for me.

TheHoppiest, Oct 29, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a deep burgundy, red-amber with a tan-pink head.

S - Cherry, plain and simple. Great nose. Cherries and brown sugar. Very tart nose with this.

T - Very good with the cherry the huge star of course. Not as tart as I would have thought. And the grains add just the right backing to this. Just outstanding.

M - Medium body with mild carbonation and a slick finish.

O - Awesome brew from New Glarus. Never been to Wisconsin before but made sure I tried this before I left. Wish we could get this out East.

SkiBum22, Sep 23, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

On tap at the New Glarus brewery, served in the NG Logo pilsner glass. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a nice bright garnet/ruby red color, slightly off white head, no retention or lacing to speak of. Looks pretty much exactly what you'd expect a beer with a pound of cherries to look like. The aroma is super heavy on the cherry, so powerful it at times reminds me of cough syrup, not in the best way either. However, it does also remind me of cherry jams, preserves and most importantly, delicious cherry pie. The flavor is much more approachable, obviously packed with cherries, slight malt backing, not enough to act as a pie crust, but enough to balance out the sweet and tart cherries with something earthy and neutralizing. The body is wonderful, light, crisp, bubbly, spritzing, juicy and full all at once.

Verdict: This is a fantastic fruit beer, probably the best fruit based beer you can find other than the fruit lambics that we love so much. New Glarus has hit a home run with this and almost all their fruit beers, hell, all their beers are dynamite, but this might be the star performer of their line.

kevanb, Jul 26, 2012

WVUbrew, Apr 28, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Wow, my 500th review. About 2 years ago I would have never guessed that I would ever try this many beers in my entire life. Oh well, here's to even more beer! I am forever in debt to Kevin (kmpitz2) for sharing this brew with me. 750mL bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a slightly hazy medium burgundy color with two fingers of slightly pink head. There is a good deal of lacing left on the glass. The smell is very very strong, with me getting my first whiff with the glass about 5 feet from my nose. Strong notes of maraschino cherry juice (one of my faves) and just a slight bit of sourness. Amazing. The taste is full of cherry as well, and just a bit of tart flavors going on. It's very sweet as well. I enjoy it, but not nearly as much as the aroma. The mouthfeel is decently strong and smooth for a fruit beer. The drinkability is superb. I could surely drink a few bottles easily. A remarkable drink, a wierd beer.

SheepNutz, Feb 03, 2005
3.98/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this as part of his haul while heading with a group of us to Wisconsin.

The appearance is a nice blood red color with the slightest of pinks adorning the head on the surface. Despite the cherries on the label the initial aroma that I gathered was of raspberries, and fresh ones at that. Accompanying the aroma is the sweet smell of cherry syrup. Now in describing the taste, there is basically a red fruit salad before me. Cherries, Raspberries, and hints of Strawberry to boot. The best part about the flavor of this beer in my opinion is that I actually can taste some beer maltiness behind it. That's really a pleasant surprise for me as far as the flavors are concerned. The mouthfeel is a tad too sweet for me to drink too much of but it's really a very solid fruit beer. One I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for said genre of brew.

Vdubb86, Oct 06, 2010