Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,035
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -3%

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

I have had this beer a couple of times and received one recently from Barrythebear, thank you!

A- Looks great, a very inviting burnt red. Not much in the way of carbonation at all and no lacing/film on the glass.

S- Nice pleasant cherries and a slight tartness. Really smells good but not overpowering.

T- Ahh, this is where it comes together. What you think is going to be indercarbonated turns out perfect. Wonderful sweet cherries with just a TOUCH of tart. Fantastic!

M- Very good for the style.

O- If I could get this beer regularly I would drink it all the time. Probably the best fruit beer that I have ever had with it being tied with Blushing Monk IMO.

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a deep burgundy, red-amber with a tan-pink head.

S - Cherry, plain and simple. Great nose. Cherries and brown sugar. Very tart nose with this.

T - Very good with the cherry the huge star of course. Not as tart as I would have thought. And the grains add just the right backing to this. Just outstanding.

M - Medium body with mild carbonation and a slick finish.

O - Awesome brew from New Glarus. Never been to Wisconsin before but made sure I tried this before I left. Wish we could get this out East.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into New Glarus flute

A: Two finger head (yellowish pink), reddish amber brown, lots of bubbles.

S: Sour cherries, some barnyard smell, jam

T: Delicious. I think this one is slightly sweeter than Rasp Tart. It's not really sour or tart, but it's definitely more tart than sour. Taste lingers in your mouth in a pleasant manner.

M: Perfect. Light to medium thickness with sharp carbonation. Less dry than Rasp Tart.

O: I prefer Raspberry Tart over this (Raspberry tart is more refreshing, although less complex), but NG never disappoints. World class beer for sure.

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer pours a murky, dark red color. It has a thin light tan head with a nice red tint to it. The head fades quickly, leaving a lot of lacing.

This beer has a sweet cherry aroma. It smells great. It has a slightly tart sour aroma also. It smells very sweet, but not overwhelmingly so.

This beer tastes just like it smells. Very sweet, with a great tart cherry flavor. Not much flavor other than tart, sweet cherries.

This beer leaves a tart cherry aftertaste. The carbonation is high, fitting the beer well.

This beer would probably make a good session beer. It is low in alcohol, and it tastes great.

Overall: Wow, thanks HimerMan for a great beer. I love it, and so does MrsOStrungT. I would always have a bottle of this if I had access to it. The only problem is that it might just be a bit too sweet.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Smells like maraschino cherry juice....very sweet and syrupy. Rich. Awesome.

Pours crimson red in my flute glass. Small but decent head.

And the taste?? Wowza. Probably the best fruit beer I've ever had. Actually, drop the probably...it IS the best. Starts off very sweet and juicy, with bing cherries bursting through all over. Really it's like I'm drinking the juice of ripe bing cherries. Know what else it reminds me of?? A cherry Jolly Rancher. I don't mean to make that comparison as to make it sound fake, as this doesn't taste artificial to me at all...which makes sense, considering they use real cherries in the brewing process. However, on the finish, there's a good acidic tartness that comes through and keeps the sweetness from being cloying throughout the drink. This dryness actually remains me of a wine. This raises the drinkability for me quite a bit. I'm not sure if these are tannins or not, though the website does say this is like a marriage between wine and beer.

Just awesome all around. Every drink was delicious and I awaited the next.

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Ohh my god that is the best smell in the world. Rich ripe, sweet cherries and cherry puree. It smells like the filling of an expensively made cherry pastry. It’s just fantastic smelling that’s all that can be said. Faded pink/light red in color with a thin white film of a head. Jeez this brewery makes increndible fruit beers. Fore is full of cherry, spritzy carbonation, mild acidic citric notes toward the finish. The middle has ever so slightly sour notes, some nuttiness and a smooth icing laden fried, flaky sweet dough flavor that carries into the finish. This really is a liquid Cherry Fritter and it is utterly amazing. This is the kind of beer that gets you excited all over again about what beer is and can be.

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

On tap at the New Glarus brewery, served in the NG Logo pilsner glass. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a nice bright garnet/ruby red color, slightly off white head, no retention or lacing to speak of. Looks pretty much exactly what you'd expect a beer with a pound of cherries to look like. The aroma is super heavy on the cherry, so powerful it at times reminds me of cough syrup, not in the best way either. However, it does also remind me of cherry jams, preserves and most importantly, delicious cherry pie. The flavor is much more approachable, obviously packed with cherries, slight malt backing, not enough to act as a pie crust, but enough to balance out the sweet and tart cherries with something earthy and neutralizing. The body is wonderful, light, crisp, bubbly, spritzing, juicy and full all at once.

Verdict: This is a fantastic fruit beer, probably the best fruit based beer you can find other than the fruit lambics that we love so much. New Glarus has hit a home run with this and almost all their fruit beers, hell, all their beers are dynamite, but this might be the star performer of their line.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Eye: Murky red going brown in the glass. No head formation or retention. Still looks good though in the glass.

Nose: Strong sour cherry aroma. Very nice. Not cloyingly sweet smelling like many beers that use cherry or other fruits. Its not just cherry either, its like I get the entire cherry, from the fruit itself to the stem to the pit and even almost to the tree.

Tongue: Slightly tart and sour, big cherry tones with some soda-like qualities. This kinda reminds me of what a fermented cherry wine would taste like but less forward with the cherry, less alcohol, presence of carbonation, and a touch of sweetness with more acidity than a fruit wine. Some oaky tones come through as well. Not sour or tart or sticky sweet as many of the bigger named and more popular fruit lambics.

Feel and Drinkability: Spritzy and fine carbonation, almost like it burns, it attacks the palate and fills the mouth in a most pleasing way....but not like soda and yet it doesn't interfere with the beer's flavor. Body is a bit heavier than I expected, medium in body going toward heavy. Very champagne like. This is one that I'd regularly celebrate with if only I could get my hands on it.

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Great googly-moogly! This nectar pours with a creamy off-white/light pink head that settles over cloudy crimson colored liquid. The nose (and what a nose it is) is comprised of sour cherry, light maltiness and apple pie spice scents...very appetizing to me. Taste is sour and somewhat acidic, almost astringent...with more cherry sourness and apple-like flavors. Not the most complex beer, but very soothing and drinkable...a perfect blend of taste and mouthfeel. Ends up long and ultra tasty with a nice dry sour tanginess at the end...I like this beer, I really like this beer! I could drink gallons of this stuff...or better yet, swim in it!

Thanks to Chip (faernt) for the chance to try this long sought after gem. It was as good as I had expected!

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Pours a murky reddish brown with a nice sized head that subsides to a bubbly layer of foam. Good lacing.

S: Nothing exciting here, just cherries.

T: Sweet cherry and vanilla flavors followed with a bit of tartness in the finish. Tastes like cherry candy.

M: Less carobnated than most fruit beers or lambics. This is a good thing, I think. Slightly puckering on the first sip, but the sourness smooths out.

D: Not an everyday beer, of course, but very good. The cherry flavor isn't obnoxious like in some fruit beers, but rather you get just the right amount of flavor. Highly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Out of a winelike bottle, coolness points for wax dripped across the cap. Pinkish red with minimal head.

Smell is a blast of cherries. Wonderful.

As best I can describe the taste, it goes:
cherry pie -->maraschino cherries --> sour cherries --> sweettarts

Mouthfeel compliments the taste nicely.

I split this bottle with several people, and found the taste to be quite enjoyable. But I really doubt that I could finish a whole bottle myself, I think the sweetness would get to me after awhile.

Certainly worth a try. I don't know that I'm really a big fan of fruit beers, but this one is nicely done.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%