Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 936 | Hads: 3,082
4.52/5  rDev +3.9%

This pretty much looks like a bottle of wine, and the whole red wax seal thing was kind of interesting. Poured a cloudy redish orange brown. Kind of the color of rust. Pretty big fruity smell, mostly of cherries and maybe a little hint of citrus. What little head there was dissipated very quickly. Very lively on the tongue. Both sweet and tart with a nice cherry fruit taste. Be sure to lick your lips after taking a drink of this one, because the taste you'll find there is delicious! Carbonation was just right, and the balance was perfect with the tartness offsetting the sweetness. Not sure I detected much hop flavor. Overall a very drinkable beer, which is good with such a huge bottle! (694 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

poured a 2011 vintage into a cigar city snifter.

With an aggressive pour, almost no head. What little head there was faded quickly to a small ring around the edge of the glass with some minimal bands of foam stuck to the glass - no lacing.

Smell is huge on cherries, pie crust, some bready yeast, and some floral/leafy notes. There is also a bit of tartness there too.

Flavor is big on cherry flesh, cherry syrup, and some tangy cherry candy. There is zero hops and the malt is very subdued here. Almost non-existent.

This is such a great beer. Just wish it had a bit more complexity to the flavor as it is dominated by cherries only. (639 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a bomber bottle

App- Bright, bright red with a lacy white head

Sm- Tart cherries and that's about it.

Ta- Incredible cherry flavor. Tasted like real cherries, not an extract, artificial flavor. No detectable malt or hop flavors.

MF- Good sharp carbonation to play off of the tartness of the cherries.

Dr- For those that like cherries, hard to get enough of.

You don't feel like you are drinking beer, but get rid of those preconceived notions and this is an absolute treat. Highly recommended. (511 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The cherries predominate, and it tastes almost like a cherry-flavored soda or sparkling wine. Straddles the divide between beer and wine, to paraphrase the label. Interesting, quality product, but not sure I'd call it a beer. (227 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -6.7%

Deep yet bright ruby in color with thin lacing when swirled. The nose shows off an abundance of rotting cherries. This continued into a medium-bodied palate with lots of carbonation and crispness. While simple this is very well-balanced, refreshing and enjoyable. (263 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

A- Pours a nice cloudy red/orange w/ a nice small head. Decent lacing is present.

S- Very fresh cherries. Very reminiscent of the little debbie cherry pies, but classier.

T- Very nice sweet yet a bit dry cherry taste, outstanding.

M- Low carbination, smooth feel.

D- I will definitely drink this again. It's easily drinkable. One of the best fruit beers I've ever had. (372 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh my god. Poured from bottle into goblet. Poured a cherry red with a touch of amber, almost no head. Nose is alll sweet cherry candy and vanilla, some roses mixed in there. The tongue matches well to the nose. Sweet cherries, vanilla, no sour its all sweet. I cannot stress enough how sweet this is. Mouthfeel is good, could use a bit more carbonation, but it might take away from the sweetness. Overall, awesome beer, I want more. (432 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to thefatkid13 for sending this to me. I wish it was available here in TN.

poured a hazy reddish brown color with a nice head. The head is white with some pinkish tones. Had decent retention but disappeared completely and had almost no lacing. Smells and tastes are exactly the same - cherries, sweet and sour. Low carbonation with a smooth medium body.

A delicious dessert drink. The only thing that affects the drinkability for me is that it may be a little too sweet to drink more than one bottle. Well maybe two or three, but definitely no more than that. (573 characters)

FANTASTIC! The aroma is full of ripe, sweet cherries with a hint of malt. The flavor is absolutely full of cherry flavor perfectly balanced with a wonderful malt/wheat backbone that makes it taste like a fresh cherry pie, including subtle spices that remind you of cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top. One of my favorite beers! (327 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Big thanks to ncbvc for this gem. Poured into snifter glass.

A. Redish brown with white fluffy head that leaves a nice lacing the whole way through.

S. Great smell of cherries and a slight maltiness.

T. Simply fantastic. A wonderfully balanced cherry flavor, slightly tart and mildly oaky. Possibly the most fantastic taste I've ever tried.

M. Light and crisp with a mild carbonation.

D. Exceptional drinkability. Could easily drink this all night and not get bored.

Overall this is one fantastic brew. Glad to have tried this and sorry to see this bottle empty. I knew I shouldn't have shared this with my girlfriend and her mother. (640 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

One of the spoils from a trip to Wisconsin. Shared on Thanksgiving with the family to some mixed feelings, but here is what I thought.

A - Small off white head, cloudy, reddish brown color looks like a glass of apple cider with some red food coloring.

S - The smell reminds of a sour cherry cobbler that we make after picking fresh sour cherries in the summer. Really nothing else in the smell but cherries.

T - The taste is a unique mixture of sweet and tart cherries. For me not too much of either just right in both departments.

M - Generally smooth with some dryness at the end. The carbonation was perfect for the style, very similar mouth feel to champagne - just toned on the dryness and carbonation.

D - I couldn't drink this everyday, but it truly is a great drink and would never complain when I get my hands on a bottle. If you have friends who don't like beer get them to try this it should open their eyes to the versatility of beer styles. (959 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

Presentation: An 750ml Bottle with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: Pours a Dark almost red wine red. Fizzy head that disappears almost instantly.

Smell: A very cherry smell to it with a hint of vanilla.

Taste: A rich sweet taste of cherries that take over on this beer. A little hopy taste that turns out to balance real well.

Mouth-Feel: a medium bodied brew with a lot of carbonation.

Drink-Ability: I really enjoyed this brew but I could not drink a lot of it. (491 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +6.2%

nflmvp brought me this one. Big thanks.

A - Hazy muted red with a white head that fades quickly. Looks sort of like carbonated juice.

S - Sweet, tart cherries dominate the smell.

T - Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb! Yeah. I went there. Very sweet cherry flavor. Tastes like a carbonated version of French Lick Winery's Montmorency Cherry. Very good. Slight malt in the finish.

M - I love the way it coats your mouth and sticks with you. The carbonation really adds to the whole experience.

D - Goes down really smooth. No alcohol detected at all. But that's not really a surprise. (583 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -29.2%

I had this beer to celebrate my brother moving into his new house and I was anticipating this to be the greatest beer ever. When i saw the beer It wasnt the most impressive beer i have ever seen, but i felt that when you make a cherry beer it would look like this, in that aspect the brewer had gotten exactley what they wanted. The smell was wonderful. When you are making a cherry beer you should smell Cherrys and nothing but. That is exactly what i smelled. The taste hit me as medicinal. I dont like to ever speak bad of beers but i could not shake the fact that it tasted like cough medicine. The mouthfeel was an exception to the taste. The beer seemed to be perfectly carbonated and didnt give me any reason to review it as bad. The drinkability of this beer was not good FOR ME. I emphasize for me because I know that there are people that could drink this like crazy but i am more of a beer guy and never drink wine. I feel bad to ever give out a bad review but to me this beer was like a fine painting that would never look good in my house but I can thoroughly appreciate the effort and time put into it. (1,116 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The liquid pours a creamy red with a quick-dying head. The smell was of sweet cherries and the taste was exactly the same. I expected this and enjoyed it for what it was, even though it bordered on coy for me. Personally, I would have *preferred* a beer I could see through, lighter body and a bit cleaner on the finish. But the effervescent tingle in my mouth after each sip was wonderful. (390 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -4.1%

750mL bottle shared with nicoco poured in to Weyerbacher Tulips. Bottle sent by richkrull. Thanks dude!

A: A hazy deep red with about 1/4" of cream colored head. Head settles rather quickly to leave a ring around the outside of the pour. Light lacing.

S: Cherry tootsie pops! Smells like any cherry flavored candy with faint hints of chocolate. Pretty one dimensional.

T: CHERRY! Cherry? Yeah...maybe a little cherry. Did I say cherry? Also, a little bit of chocolate, but damn...mostly sweet cherries!

M: Very light carbonation, light bodied, yet sticky.

O: Well, if they were trying to make a beer taste like candied cherries, I'd say they nailed it. If you were expecting any tartness to the flavor, you're going to be disappointed. Remember, this is a fruit beer, not a wild ale or a lambic. That said, this is excellent. (830 characters)

Appearance: Pours a red/pink color with a film of a white head. Just looks like a fruit beer.

Smell: Smells of straight up sweet cherries and tartness. So inviting.

Taste - Taste mirrors the nose. Not too sweet. Not too syrupy. Just perfect.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel.

Overall: One of the best fruit beers I've ever had. Just right. If I traded, this, Raspberry Tart and Serendipity would be on my permanent ISO list. I could drink this every day. (455 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to CapitalAmber for bringing this back from WI.

750 ml bottle into big snifter (not the whole bottle)

A) Smells like cherry Italian ice. Wow!

S) The beer is quite opaque, and red to reddish brown depending on how the light hits it. Not a whole lot of head on top, but when it is there it has a pink hue.

T) The taste is all cherry and wheat. It's tart, but in a soft and mellow way.

M) It feels fairly sweet even though it doesn't taste particularly sweet.

D) I could probably have the whole thing but I'd feel bad about not sharing - it's too good to hog. (570 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%

This beer makes me long for my home state... Wisconsin.

A: Ruby amber in color, with a fluffy 2-finger off white head. Not much lacing. Looks fruity.

S: Scent of crunchy, tart cherries, with just a whiff of malt/wheat.

T: All about the cherries. Tart, delicious, beautiful cherries. Some sweetness balances it well, and it is never cloying. Finishes with a lingering cherry taste.

M: Medium bodied. Carbonation is perfect. Mildly effervescent.

D: ALL DAY. Light in alcohol, big in delicious flavor.

I don't know if it's possible to improve upon a beer like this... absolutely delicious. I wish I'd brought another back from WI after my last trip. Kudos to New Glarus. (674 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -6.2%

Tons of cherries, especially cherry skins provide a nice puckering effect. Not very sweet. Bright red color. This one comes exactly as advertised. I look forward to drinking it again. (183 characters)

4.35/5  rDev 0%

Appearance -- Poured from bottle into Duvel tulip glass. Very thick, dark, reddish-pink in color; very reminiscent of grapefruit juice. Thin head that disappeared quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell -- Sweet fruit: apples, pears, cherries. It really reminds me of how a nice holiday fruit punch smells. Perhaps some spices as well. Very interesting.

Taste -- Tart cherries. Very pleasant and very fruity. This one in no way tastes artificial. This is the real deal. Quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel -- Thicker feel. Pretty clean overall. The carbonation reminds me of champagne.

Drinkability -- Outstanding drinkability. This is a really impressive beer. It's so different than what I'd expect in a beer. Very good find. This would taste fantastic outside on a crisp autumn day. I plan on seeking this one out again. (818 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10.8%

One of the true greats brewed in the US. I have had it 4 or 5 times, always in a 750ml bottle. This beer pours at a deep ruby color with a fantastic cherry aroma. This is a beer that deserves to be served in a large snifter style glass, or something similar to a wine glass. Did I mention the aroma? Very tart cherry flavor that you will want to sip and savor. The flavor is not at all sweet as some might expect when they see the cherry on the label. This isn't an everyday beer, and it definitely isn't a session beer. This is something that is great for a nice meal or after dinner. (585 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

This bottle pours a deep red with a pink head. The smell of the cherries is really potent and nice. The taste is like cherries with a bit of candy in it. Alcohol is undectectable. I don't really like "fruit" beers but this is a nice take on it that you can have for dessert or share with women. (294 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my goblet....

A: Pours a murky red w/golden hues and a tiny red-tinged head, head dissipates quickly.

S: Rich, delicious, tart cherries, and some wheaty funk....

T: This beer tastes exactly like cherry pie. Rich, luscious cherry flavor w/nice tartness up front, finishes with a sweet candy flavor.

M: Average body

D: Outstanding. If this stuff was more readily available for me I could drink it all night long. This stuff is liquid desert. An absolute treat for beer geeks with a sweet tooth. (529 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

750...mine poured into a pint glass, my lady's poured into a Mason jar! (Thats all she had for glassware at her place)

A - Beautiful ruby color with a nice finger+ worth of redish white foam on top. Nice retention and lacing on it.

S - Not surprisingly, cherries and some grainy backbone. Smells absolutely delicious.

T - Wow, amazingly good with the cherry the huge star of course. Not real tart either. And the grains add just the right backing to this. Just outstanding.

M - I'd call it light-medium bodied, decent carbonation. Ultra-smooth and drinkable.

O - My girl LOVED this one. She was reluctant to even try it but boy did she rave. Me, I loved it as well. I am NOT a fruit beer guy but this one is just exceptional. I could drink this all summer long (766 characters)

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company