Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,023
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros

moarmare, Sep 25, 2014

Phobicsquirrel, Oct 26, 2014
4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Friends from Milwaukee brought this to us during a recent visit. Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a small chalice, this ale pours a slightly opaque ruddy rouge, with minimal creme colored head that reduces to a ring clinging around the edge of the glass.

Has a sweet cherry aroma, with honey, strawberry, and grape. Almost smells like a melted cherry popsicle or cherry creme soda, the aroma is so sweet, clean and fruity.

A strong, almost overpowering cherry taste greets you, with spritzes of sweet underlaid with plenty of tart. Lemon, vanilla, raspberry and mild malt combine for a very fruit brew.

Tart, almost to the point of an involuntary pucker of the mouth, this ale leaves the tongue and gums tingling.

This "beer" is so tart and fruity, it's more fermented fruit juice than it is beer. The tart and sweet are so strong that they are almost too much; I have to sip this slowly to avoid pucker face as I drink this. While I'm sure this is a really good fruit beer for those who live fruit beers, this is just a little much for me.

TheHoppiest, Oct 29, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

On tap at the New Glarus brewery, served in the NG Logo pilsner glass. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a nice bright garnet/ruby red color, slightly off white head, no retention or lacing to speak of. Looks pretty much exactly what you'd expect a beer with a pound of cherries to look like. The aroma is super heavy on the cherry, so powerful it at times reminds me of cough syrup, not in the best way either. However, it does also remind me of cherry jams, preserves and most importantly, delicious cherry pie. The flavor is much more approachable, obviously packed with cherries, slight malt backing, not enough to act as a pie crust, but enough to balance out the sweet and tart cherries with something earthy and neutralizing. The body is wonderful, light, crisp, bubbly, spritzing, juicy and full all at once.

Verdict: This is a fantastic fruit beer, probably the best fruit based beer you can find other than the fruit lambics that we love so much. New Glarus has hit a home run with this and almost all their fruit beers, hell, all their beers are dynamite, but this might be the star performer of their line.

kevanb, Jul 26, 2012

WVUbrew, Apr 28, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Wow, my 500th review. About 2 years ago I would have never guessed that I would ever try this many beers in my entire life. Oh well, here's to even more beer! I am forever in debt to Kevin (kmpitz2) for sharing this brew with me. 750mL bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a slightly hazy medium burgundy color with two fingers of slightly pink head. There is a good deal of lacing left on the glass. The smell is very very strong, with me getting my first whiff with the glass about 5 feet from my nose. Strong notes of maraschino cherry juice (one of my faves) and just a slight bit of sourness. Amazing. The taste is full of cherry as well, and just a bit of tart flavors going on. It's very sweet as well. I enjoy it, but not nearly as much as the aroma. The mouthfeel is decently strong and smooth for a fruit beer. The drinkability is superb. I could surely drink a few bottles easily. A remarkable drink, a wierd beer.

SheepNutz, Feb 03, 2005
3.98/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this as part of his haul while heading with a group of us to Wisconsin.

The appearance is a nice blood red color with the slightest of pinks adorning the head on the surface. Despite the cherries on the label the initial aroma that I gathered was of raspberries, and fresh ones at that. Accompanying the aroma is the sweet smell of cherry syrup. Now in describing the taste, there is basically a red fruit salad before me. Cherries, Raspberries, and hints of Strawberry to boot. The best part about the flavor of this beer in my opinion is that I actually can taste some beer maltiness behind it. That's really a pleasant surprise for me as far as the flavors are concerned. The mouthfeel is a tad too sweet for me to drink too much of but it's really a very solid fruit beer. One I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for said genre of brew.

Vdubb86, Oct 06, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Quackus, Mar 11, 2013

Diomede, Nov 20, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a deep burgundy, red-amber with a tan-pink head.

S - Cherry, plain and simple. Great nose. Cherries and brown sugar. Very tart nose with this.

T - Very good with the cherry the huge star of course. Not as tart as I would have thought. And the grains add just the right backing to this. Just outstanding.

M - Medium body with mild carbonation and a slick finish.

O - Awesome brew from New Glarus. Never been to Wisconsin before but made sure I tried this before I left. Wish we could get this out East.

SkiBum22, Sep 23, 2011

MNBeer1017, Jun 07, 2014
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

target88, Nov 16, 2014
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm currently licking my lips mid-glass, and tasting the beer on them. Opened this in honor of Halloween, and a Packers / Jets game. Shared it with my girlfriend and my roommate.

The appearance is maybe where I can find some fault, but honestly that might just be looking to nitpick. It appears thick and bit heady, great sustaining head. The smell just fills the nose with cherries and floral notes. Sweet. Tart. Cherries up front, puckery in the middle. Clean finish. Lovely.

Taste does a fruit beer as well as I've ever had. It's medium bodied, carbonated, feels thick. Extremely drinkable. I could have this all day.

afksports, Oct 31, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

CarolinaKev, May 19, 2012

Mark000, Aug 09, 2014

speedvagen, Feb 24, 2013

PeakedInHighSchool, Mar 31, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

A buddy of mine brought back 3 bottles for me after his last trip to WI. Split 3 ways with him and another friend. Poured into a red wine glass...

A - Pours a gorgeous, shiny ruby red color with no real head whatsoever. At times, with no light hitting it, it appears slightly brownish. Slight agitation produces a miniute fzz, but no head to speak of.

S - Sweet cherries and some slight spice to it as well. No malt or hop presence is noticeable. Most cherry aroma I've ever gotten from a brew.

T - Sour, sweet but not cloying in any way, slight spice. Like drinking a cherry pie; absolutely delicious and unlike any cherry beer I have ever had before.

M - Light body with mild carbination. Great crispness with a nice tart finish.

D - I could easily drink several of these. Not too sweet like I thought it would be and quite a nice refreshing beer to have. Would go great with desserts.

KAP1356, Sep 27, 2010