Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 959 | Hads: 3,228
4.27/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks again to dhr for the bottle. Split with another BA, into Rodenbach glasses.

Pours a dark pinkish-orange with about a cm of head. The aroma is dominated by cherries, and the taste reminds me a lot of a flemmish sour blended with cherry lambik. Feels well carbonated and smooth in the mouth, but the sourness in the stomach detracts from the drinkability at the end.

Overall a good brew that I'd like to have the chance to try again.

3.74/5  rDev -14.2%

Aged for 8 mos.

A-pours a light orangish brown with deep red notes The inch of foam immediately retreats

S-sweet and fruity odor. The cherries are quite evident

T-sweet and a bit carbonated on the finish. Almost like apple juice with cherries. Not too sweet though

M-medium body and icredibly smooth

O-not an overly huge admirer of the fruit beers, but this one is pretty good. very smooth.

Pours a cloudy dark red into with little or not head. The smell is crisp and has a tart cherry smell to it. The taste is great. You can taste the fruit but it is not too overpowering. A nice carbonation in the mouth gives it a clean and fruity taste.

I enjoyed this beer but I could probably only do one of these every now and then. Any more than one in a sitting would kill my tastebuds.

3.73/5  rDev -14.4%

Have had this a couple of times out of the bottle and finally thought I would get around to reviewing. Pours a very bright, deep red. Smell is of cherries, cherries and more cherries. The taste is of a wonderful, fresh cherry. It has some tartness, the sweetness is a little overpowering. However, it is abundantly clear that this is not an artificial cherry flavoring but the real deal.

If I would have one compliant about this beer, is that it is too sweet to drink more than a glass of. I tried to sit down and drink a bottle by myself and couldn't finish it. Plan to drink this with friends (especially non-beer lovers, who may be converted with this sweet nectar).

4.87/5  rDev +11.7%

I'll make no secret of it, I love this beer. I had my first taste of it almost ten years ago, back in the halcyon days when it was named "Wisconsin Cherry Ale". My friend Chip is from Door County, and would pick up a bottle or two here and there when he went home for the holidays, just to shut me up. I was utterly blown away by it then, and remain blown away to this very day. It's not for everyone, but I think any beer such as this that completely defines itself, and many other American beers to follow, really needs to be given due credit.

Appearance: This is the only area I'm disappointed. It pours a brilliant red (not quite pink), with a light pink head. However, as it's unfiltered, it gives it sort of a murky appearance that leads one to believe it's going to feel a bit thicker than it really does.

Smell: Well, kids, there's no denying it. This is a cherry beer. I don't drink fruit beers as a general rule, as most tend to try and add fruit flavor to a typically bland ale of some sort. This beer does no such thing. This beer revels in its cherryness. It exists solely for the cherries, not for the beer, and that's all you smell. No yeast, no malt, no beer. Just cherry.

Taste: Again, if you don't like cherries, you won't like this beer. Me, I like them. Sweet at the start, dry and tart at the finish. I've given this beer to many people who have said, "This isn't beer." And were it not for the strict definition of the process that makes a beer a beer, I might actually agree with them. But since this beer follows the rules, then by jinkies I'm going to call it a beer. And to hell with all y'all that disagree. I will also love every precious $10 bottle I can get my mitts on.

Mouthfeel: Again, the murk belies the lightness of tongue that this beer has. It is really a very delicate feel, almost like sparkling wine. It does have a definite malt presence, but doesn't have the tongue-sticky cloyingness that an American wheat beer like UFO or Widmer does. This sumbitch is incredibly refreshing on a hot summer day.

Drinkability: This all depends (as previously mentioned), on your tolerance for cherries. What makes this beer truly great, however, is that you can share it with almost anyone (yes, the boys got a wee nip and were suitably impressed) and they will generally enjoy it. That said, a little cherry can go a long way. My wife and I have done two of the 750 ml bottles of this at once, but that's about all I'd do.

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%

Wow what a sweet syrupy beer.. If you want to know what this taste like get a Hostess Cherry fruit pie and eat the filling puree inside of it and well you get the picture. This is without a doubt a desert beer and would be awesome for any after dinner treat..Worth the effort!..recommend

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

An utterly exquisite beer. When wine-lovers claim diversity in their grape-based world, I just roll my eyes and look to this beer. What a delight.

Pours deep red. Cloudy red. Redder than red. Red like hell except this is actually somewhere that you really really want to go. You might actually expect this to by syrupy by the look of it, but don't be decieved...

Smell is fresh fresh cherries. Nothing artificial in the nose at all. I was expecting something very tart but...

Light, bright, explosion of beautifully balanced cherry flavor. Tart, but not nearly as tart as I was expecting. The sour aspect is balanced perfectly with the sweet making this a very refreshing and flavorful brew. Nothing syrupy at all in the mouthfeel.

Just a great great beer. Without question the best fruit-based beer you can get in America. I'd take this over Lindeman's any day of the week ending in a "y".

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a hazy reddish-brown with little head and a little bit of lacing. The nose has cherry, obviously and some cinnamon.

The taste surprised me at first. The cherry is there, sure, but the first sip tastes a lot like apple cider with the cherry rushing in a few seconds later. We've got a distinct sour taste at the end which is nice as it helps prevent the sweetness from being overpowering. It's very crisp in the mouth, lots of carbonation, but not in a distracting way.

This is an unusual beer, no doubt, and perhaps too unique to return to every day. It's certainly interesting though and quite delicious. I'll pick up another bottle without question.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

this beer poured a deep red color with very little to no head.

very aromatic, was able to smell sour cherries before lifting the glass.

the taste was all cherry,tart and sour.the warmer the beer got the sweeter it tasted.

it seemed to be a lighter in body than expected.nice carbonated bubbly feel.

this is a great beer by itself but is also a great dessert beer.
hard to beat for this style of beer.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

A-Pale rose bubbly body with a speckled white head.
S-Deep cherry and fruit.
T-Sweet cherry draw with a smooth, but slightly tart finish.
M-Thick and syruplike with ample carbonation.
D-A good special occasioned beer. I really enjoyed this one very much as an after dinner treat.

4.84/5  rDev +11%

A- Pours a great ruby. A nice light pink/whitish head forms, but recedes quickly. A little lacing but not as much as I would aspect.

S- Very strong on the cherries. That's the overwhelming profile is slightly tart cherries. I get a slight malt flavor but this beer is designed to showcase the cherries and it does a great job.

T- I love the taste of this beer. No matter how many times I drink it, I always want more. The cherries shine through but in a balanced why so the sweetness is tempered and it's just a perfect complex cherry taste. Every time I drink it, I get new notes out of it. Very fresh with a nice tartness. Absolutely my favorite dessert beer.

M- Medium bodied with a good carbonation. Very delicate on the palate with a little stickiness but very full bodied.

O- Very outstanding! Easily one of my favorite beers. The beer is so unique and so well done that I sometimes am stunned that a cherry beer could be this delicate, fresh, and such a fun drinking experience.

3.25/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle I picked up at Woodman's in south-west Wisconsin.

Appearance is ruby-red. Red red red. So much so that it makes me slightly nervous. Hard pour gives a couple fingers of pink head which dissipates very quickly - snap crackle pop.

Not much to the nose - slight cherry scent. Smells vapid cold and cherry.

First sip is a blast of cherry sweetness. Whoa. Some tart too which makes it less of a cherry popsicle. If you look for it you'll find a slight, but interesting, roasted malt flavor in back.

The mouthfeel starts syrupy then quickly gets crisp and thin.

I bought two bottles, will let the other age a bit and hopefully the sweetness will relax a bit. Glad I had the young one, but won't likely have another till the second bottle ages 6 months or so.

4.52/5  rDev +3.7%

This pretty much looks like a bottle of wine, and the whole red wax seal thing was kind of interesting. Poured a cloudy redish orange brown. Kind of the color of rust. Pretty big fruity smell, mostly of cherries and maybe a little hint of citrus. What little head there was dissipated very quickly. Very lively on the tongue. Both sweet and tart with a nice cherry fruit taste. Be sure to lick your lips after taking a drink of this one, because the taste you'll find there is delicious! Carbonation was just right, and the balance was perfect with the tartness offsetting the sweetness. Not sure I detected much hop flavor. Overall a very drinkable beer, which is good with such a huge bottle!

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

poured a 2011 vintage into a cigar city snifter.

With an aggressive pour, almost no head. What little head there was faded quickly to a small ring around the edge of the glass with some minimal bands of foam stuck to the glass - no lacing.

Smell is huge on cherries, pie crust, some bready yeast, and some floral/leafy notes. There is also a bit of tartness there too.

Flavor is big on cherry flesh, cherry syrup, and some tangy cherry candy. There is zero hops and the malt is very subdued here. Almost non-existent.

This is such a great beer. Just wish it had a bit more complexity to the flavor as it is dominated by cherries only.

4.16/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a bomber bottle

App- Bright, bright red with a lacy white head

Sm- Tart cherries and that's about it.

Ta- Incredible cherry flavor. Tasted like real cherries, not an extract, artificial flavor. No detectable malt or hop flavors.

MF- Good sharp carbonation to play off of the tartness of the cherries.

Dr- For those that like cherries, hard to get enough of.

You don't feel like you are drinking beer, but get rid of those preconceived notions and this is an absolute treat. Highly recommended.

4.06/5  rDev -6.9%

Deep yet bright ruby in color with thin lacing when swirled. The nose shows off an abundance of rotting cherries. This continued into a medium-bodied palate with lots of carbonation and crispness. While simple this is very well-balanced, refreshing and enjoyable.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

A- Pours a nice cloudy red/orange w/ a nice small head. Decent lacing is present.

S- Very fresh cherries. Very reminiscent of the little debbie cherry pies, but classier.

T- Very nice sweet yet a bit dry cherry taste, outstanding.

M- Low carbination, smooth feel.

D- I will definitely drink this again. It's easily drinkable. One of the best fruit beers I've ever had.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh my god. Poured from bottle into goblet. Poured a cherry red with a touch of amber, almost no head. Nose is alll sweet cherry candy and vanilla, some roses mixed in there. The tongue matches well to the nose. Sweet cherries, vanilla, no sour its all sweet. I cannot stress enough how sweet this is. Mouthfeel is good, could use a bit more carbonation, but it might take away from the sweetness. Overall, awesome beer, I want more.

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to thefatkid13 for sending this to me. I wish it was available here in TN.

poured a hazy reddish brown color with a nice head. The head is white with some pinkish tones. Had decent retention but disappeared completely and had almost no lacing. Smells and tastes are exactly the same - cherries, sweet and sour. Low carbonation with a smooth medium body.

A delicious dessert drink. The only thing that affects the drinkability for me is that it may be a little too sweet to drink more than one bottle. Well maybe two or three, but definitely no more than that.

FANTASTIC! The aroma is full of ripe, sweet cherries with a hint of malt. The flavor is absolutely full of cherry flavor perfectly balanced with a wonderful malt/wheat backbone that makes it taste like a fresh cherry pie, including subtle spices that remind you of cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top. One of my favorite beers!

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

Big thanks to ncbvc for this gem. Poured into snifter glass.

A. Redish brown with white fluffy head that leaves a nice lacing the whole way through.

S. Great smell of cherries and a slight maltiness.

T. Simply fantastic. A wonderfully balanced cherry flavor, slightly tart and mildly oaky. Possibly the most fantastic taste I've ever tried.

M. Light and crisp with a mild carbonation.

D. Exceptional drinkability. Could easily drink this all night and not get bored.

Overall this is one fantastic brew. Glad to have tried this and sorry to see this bottle empty. I knew I shouldn't have shared this with my girlfriend and her mother.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

One of the spoils from a trip to Wisconsin. Shared on Thanksgiving with the family to some mixed feelings, but here is what I thought.

A - Small off white head, cloudy, reddish brown color looks like a glass of apple cider with some red food coloring.

S - The smell reminds of a sour cherry cobbler that we make after picking fresh sour cherries in the summer. Really nothing else in the smell but cherries.

T - The taste is a unique mixture of sweet and tart cherries. For me not too much of either just right in both departments.

M - Generally smooth with some dryness at the end. The carbonation was perfect for the style, very similar mouth feel to champagne - just toned on the dryness and carbonation.

D - I couldn't drink this everyday, but it truly is a great drink and would never complain when I get my hands on a bottle. If you have friends who don't like beer get them to try this it should open their eyes to the versatility of beer styles.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Presentation: An 750ml Bottle with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: Pours a Dark almost red wine red. Fizzy head that disappears almost instantly.

Smell: A very cherry smell to it with a hint of vanilla.

Taste: A rich sweet taste of cherries that take over on this beer. A little hopy taste that turns out to balance real well.

Mouth-Feel: a medium bodied brew with a lot of carbonation.

Drink-Ability: I really enjoyed this brew but I could not drink a lot of it.

4.62/5  rDev +6%

nflmvp brought me this one. Big thanks.

A - Hazy muted red with a white head that fades quickly. Looks sort of like carbonated juice.

S - Sweet, tart cherries dominate the smell.

T - Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb! Yeah. I went there. Very sweet cherry flavor. Tastes like a carbonated version of French Lick Winery's Montmorency Cherry. Very good. Slight malt in the finish.

M - I love the way it coats your mouth and sticks with you. The carbonation really adds to the whole experience.

D - Goes down really smooth. No alcohol detected at all. But that's not really a surprise.

3.08/5  rDev -29.4%

I had this beer to celebrate my brother moving into his new house and I was anticipating this to be the greatest beer ever. When i saw the beer It wasnt the most impressive beer i have ever seen, but i felt that when you make a cherry beer it would look like this, in that aspect the brewer had gotten exactley what they wanted. The smell was wonderful. When you are making a cherry beer you should smell Cherrys and nothing but. That is exactly what i smelled. The taste hit me as medicinal. I dont like to ever speak bad of beers but i could not shake the fact that it tasted like cough medicine. The mouthfeel was an exception to the taste. The beer seemed to be perfectly carbonated and didnt give me any reason to review it as bad. The drinkability of this beer was not good FOR ME. I emphasize for me because I know that there are people that could drink this like crazy but i am more of a beer guy and never drink wine. I feel bad to ever give out a bad review but to me this beer was like a fine painting that would never look good in my house but I can thoroughly appreciate the effort and time put into it.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company