2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

Ratings: 2051

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,051 | Reviews: 886 | Show All Ratings:
copyguyadam

4.2/5  rDev -3.9%

Is this pop? I swear I used to drink this cherry soda when I was a kid. This smelled so sweet and looked so much like a wine cooler, I thought I was going to be disappointed. Disappointed? Not with this one!

Bomber into New Glarus glass. The bottle recommended a tulip or flute, but I thought the branded glass would do just fine.

A - Red wine color with a light head... for soda.
S - Big blast of montmorency cherries. Really strong with this one. I made my wife smell it (the beer) and she said "Wow, that's stong!"
T - Really great tasting sweet/tart fruit beer.
M - I hope all the sugar in this soda doesn't rot my teeth :) Felt like a fizzy wine in the mouth... but in a good way.
D - Could drink another bottle or three of this.

Overall thoughts are I can't believe I passed this bottle up so many times. I will be in WI again this week and will definitely be on the lookout for another bottle. This may be a good gateway beer for the right person. Great alternative to someone who likes wine coolers.

05-11-2010 00:41:45 | More by copyguyadam
admiralcrunch

4.55/5  rDev +4.1%

Thanks to CapitalAmber for bringing this back from WI.

750 ml bottle into big snifter (not the whole bottle)

A) Smells like cherry Italian ice. Wow!

S) The beer is quite opaque, and red to reddish brown depending on how the light hits it. Not a whole lot of head on top, but when it is there it has a pink hue.

T) The taste is all cherry and wheat. It's tart, but in a soft and mellow way.

M) It feels fairly sweet even though it doesn't taste particularly sweet.

D) I could probably have the whole thing but I'd feel bad about not sharing - it's too good to hog.

07-18-2009 23:36:12 | More by admiralcrunch
EddieTheTrooper

3.03/5  rDev -30.7%

I was quite surprised at this beer, surprised and disappointed. Normally I am a fan of all things new glarus but this beer was just too damn fruity. It smells like cherries, it tastes like cherries, it's cherry red. I mean, I like cherries and all but this stuff is like cough syrup. I wanted some beer with my fruit salad. One glass was enough, one bottle was far too much. For a brewery that ordinarily makes such well-balanced beers, this cherry thing has gotten a little out of hand. If I wanted juice, I wouldn't be drinking beer.

06-17-2010 09:27:34 | More by EddieTheTrooper
petercmartin1

4.43/5  rDev +1.4%

Another homerun for the New Glarus brewery in Wisconsin. This is one of two fruit beers that these guys do and they are both great. I've been drinking this one for quite a while now, and I really, really like it. I do prefer their Raspberry, but that is just a preference of raspberries over cherries. It has nothing to do with the quality of the beer.
These guys really get it right with their fruit beers. They seem to find a perfect balance where so many other breweries fall short. This beer is no exception. It pours a beautiful redish brown, cloudy, but in a way that enhances it, not detracts from it. The aroma is all about sour cherries. The flavor follows through with the cherry theme, with just a hint of yeast and underlying grain to remind you that you are drinking a beer. Like the Raspberry this one tastes like real fruit, not syrup or artifical flavoring. These guys take their fruit beers seriously and it shows. These beers rank up there with some of the best beers in the world, IMHO.

10-03-2005 20:02:58 | More by petercmartin1
mjgardner

Kansas

4.43/5  rDev +1.4%

Tasted with bross242 and dannosparks.

Appearance - Pours a hazy red color. Does not produce too much head, and the little bit that there is dissapates quickly.

Smell - Wow, this is pleasure to smell. Cherry, cherry, and more cherry. It reminds me of smelling my grandma's cherry pie. Outstanding.

Taste - A bunch of cherry yet again. I am not much for fruit beers, but this is just fantastic. Can I say grandma's cherry pie once again.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability - This is an outstanding beer. The cherry is just fantastic. One of the best beers I have had in awhile. I would highly recommend trading for it!!

05-30-2007 20:53:12 | More by mjgardner
Beertron

2.93/5  rDev -33%

It's been years, almost a decade, since I last tried this beer. I wasn't a big fan of it the first time around; I took a greater liking to their Raspberry Tart and have since picked up that when I see the two side-by-side. Either way, the lady and I were having spaghetti at her place so I thought this would make for a good pairing. Poured from the trademark waxed 750 into a pretty standard water glass (she isn't quite yet to BA level, but she's getting there...)

A - Carbonation is kinda odd with this sucker. As I pour, there's no head. When I finish, it jumps up to an inch (on a soft pour) and then dissolves as quickly as it appeared, leaving no discernible lacing. When shaken, the bubbles appear and disappear yet again. Other than color, which is bright clear red (almost like a red soda), this resembles champagne in every regard. I wouldn't doubt that champagne yeast was at work in the creation of this brew.

S - Smells strongly of syrupy cherries; like maraschinos, cherry Torani, black cherry soda or red cough syrup. Not being a big fan of syrupy cherries (or cough syrup, for that matter), this smell is lightly nauseating to me. There really isn't much noticeable beer aroma here -- just overpowering cherry -- and I'm kind of wishing there was.

T - Tastes allay some of those syrupy fears. This is dry and bubbly with a strong cherry flavor. Thankfully, the flavor shows real cherries, probably from the Northwest (Ranier or Bing). This is far more pleasant than the aroma led me to expect. There's also a fruity alcohol taste that reminds me of fermented apple cider -- not hard apple cider, but regular unpasteurized apple cider that's gotten a bit dated and in which wild yeasts have started converting the sugars.

M - This hits a number of places on the palate. At the outset, it's bubbly and light and sparkles on the tongue. Then its sweet with a light syrupyness that ends dry and sticky. Despite all of this, the feel is soft and dry and makes me salivate after 10 seconds or so. Fun complexity.

D - Ehhhh. Pretty tough to do much of this. Especially considering the bottle size, I'd say you almost have to share it with someone, or probably someones. That sticky syrupyness is pretty tough to get over and I think it would give me gut-rot if I tried to drink this bottle myself. It's food pairing qualities (see immediately below) are causing me to kick this up a whole point above where I normally would've in this category.

F - This is an incredible drink to pair with food, especially dessert, because its one of those rare beers that will add a whole new component to a dish. I'm pressed to think of any food that would stand up to it's sweet cherry flavor, but I can think of a billion that it would be great with in terms of a contrast: vanilla bean cheesecake, sweet chocolate, peanut butter sandwich, fruit salad, duck confit (depending very much on what's with it), sugar cookies, etc. Interestingly enough, I had it with homemade spaghetti sauce and found it to match perfectly. It provide a fantastic sounding board to the acidity of the tomatoes and balsamic/red wine vinegars, the dark strength of the herbs and spices and the grainy nuttiness of the pasta. This beer likes food. Additionally, I wouldn't doubt that it'd make a great reduction sauce on its own. I'll have to try that one of these days.

O - I must say, the syrupy stickiness is a bit too overpowering and the malt a bit too under-powering for my tastes. I have real trouble trying to figure out how this ends up as the best beer in WI according to reviewers on this site. Overall, I think this has much more in common with soda (or sweet champagne) than it does beer and that's probably why it gets such great reviews. Everyone loves pop. I'm not a big fan, so I don't think this floats my boat as much as the next geek. However, it does have an amazing affinity for food and, approached from that standpoint, I find it to be quite useful and amazing. Either way, it's certainly an interesting brew and still leagues beyond most ridiculous attempts at this style.

04-11-2007 18:48:03 | More by Beertron
LittleBug31

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Bright, deep ruby. Small white-pink head. Sparkly bubbles that meander toward the surface.

S: Cherries. Cherries and more cherries. Amazingly tart but incredibly sweet aroma. Fresh picked ripe cherries and my Grandma's awesome warm cherry pie.

T: Reminds me of my favorite snack-- dried tart Montmorency cherries from Door County, WI. Same exact flavor as the actual thing. Sweet and light with awesome flavor. Can't say "Cherries" enough.

M: Smooth and velvety with mild carbonation. Not much else is noticeable past the incredible flavor of this beer.

D: Like juice. This is so appealing to me that I could drink it for breakfast. Just tart enough that the sweetness does not dominate at makes this the perfect fruit beer.

01-17-2010 05:30:04 | More by LittleBug31
JayCheG

4.48/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: A very deep inviting red. Pours a light head that dissipates to a ring around the glass. Lightly carbonated.
S: Overwhelming smell of cherries. Brings back memories of browsing Door County markets in the summer.
T: Very tart cherry taste throughout with quite a bit of sweetness.
M: Has a full feel to it that hangs around. Slight carbonation but not much. Very smooth.
O: Nice beer with a ton of cherry flavor. The bottle says there is a pound of cherries in every bottle and you definitely taste it. I know its a cherry beer but was hoping for a bit of other flavor that I could not seem to find. Still a very good drink.

01-31-2014 03:13:05 | More by JayCheG
brewballer

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

One of a kind brew here! Pours a dark ruby color, with a pinkish foam. You can smell this is bursting with cherries the minute you open the container. Its unlike any fruit beer I have ever tasted, They say theres a pound of cherries in every bottle ( 20+ oz bottle) And I don't doubt them for a moment. This beer just rushes to the palate. Its quite bubbly, but that works wonderfuly with the flavor, which is cherry, cherry, and more cherry. If i could put cherry pie in liquid form, this is what i'd come up with. Simply amazing.

04-04-2011 03:41:55 | More by brewballer
doppelme

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a Bomber bottle into a tulip glass. The body of this beer is red with light red or pink along the outside of the glass. It leaves behind great lacing. It smells of fresh tart cherris. The taste of this beer is of tart cherries with a seetness through the whole taste. Not overly sweet so you are easily able to finish off the bottle. Overall this beer is delicious. If you are a fan of cherries you cant deny that this beer is king.

08-15-2011 17:14:01 | More by doppelme
harrymattcody

South Carolina

4.7/5  rDev +7.6%

From a bottle received in a trade.

The beer pours a ripe red color with a little fizz on top that quickly recedes leaving nothing between me and the aromas emanating forth. The nose is cherries all the way with a sweetness that dominates. Taste falls right into step behind the nose and floods your mouth with pure cherry goodness. Maybe a touch of oak to round out the flavor. Just like it's kin, Raspberry Tart, this brew coats your mouth with sweet and sticky. The bubbles help break it up a bit, though.

Sweetness hurts the drinkability a touch but not enough for me to consider leaving any in the bottle. A classy brew.

09-25-2011 17:48:04 | More by harrymattcody
MysterySwirl

3.8/5  rDev -13%

My wife and I had this alongside with the Raspberry Tart.

It is a reddish brown in my glass with sticky lacing and some red/pinkness as I swirl my glass. Almost reminds me of apple cider with cherries.

Oh lord - this is a cherry bomb. Cherries and cherries dominate. There's a sour tartness and very fruity taste to it. I don't really get a sense of other flavors but that's because it's supposed to be cherries.

Had this out of the bottle on Friday night, celebrating the finishing of college. Thanks erocks for the trade, much appreciated! The carbonation is very present and the mouthfeel is a bit sticky and thick. It's a good beer but I'd pair this up with something sweet for food so it feels balanced.

We preferred this beer over the Raspberry Tart which seemed a bit dryer when swallowing.

12-25-2009 00:34:35 | More by MysterySwirl
stace

4.22/5  rDev -3.4%

Overall, quite a pleasant brew. Can't get New Glarus in IL, so whenever I drive through WI I try to pick up a good variety to sample. This bottle came back with me from my Thanksgiving road trip.

A: Cloudy, reddish brown. Head dissipates quickly.

S: Cherries. Surprise! Reminiscent of a lambic.

T: Cherries! Surprise, again! This is close to a lambic, again, with just a hint of sour, but not too much. There's a definite sweetness, but after that there's a little bite in the finish.

M/D: I'm having a hard time describing it. It's bright on the palate with good bubbly nature, but after the swallow, there's a certain... stickiness?

I'm enjoying this. Will definitely buy again -- it's a nice addition to the fruit beers in the fridge.

12-29-2008 01:25:08 | More by stace
wstein70

3.83/5  rDev -12.4%

Thanks to icharus84 for this and some other great beers from New Glarus.

Tried it last night with some friends.

A: Poured from the bottle into the glass, had a brownish-red color, and nice foamy head that dissipated quickly.

S: Cherries, lets just say that.

T: Primarily a cherry flavoring, and not that sicky sweet cherry flavor in cherry drinks, but a natural fresh cherry taste. There was also spice undertones from the belgium style ale that complimented the cherry flavor. Gave it good depth and complexity in the taste.

M: It was surprisingly light and crisp. Didn't leave a heavy taste

D: I don't know if I can drink a single 750ml in a single sitting, but it makes for a good beer to share with friends. I can see me drinking it in the summer by the pool or in the winter next to the fireplace.

12-06-2010 20:35:04 | More by wstein70
BOLTZ7555

Arizona

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Sampled at Hellbilly’s Hellraiser courtesy of Hellbilly via Bockyhorsey!!! "I can not tell a lie," this was like George Washington placing his right hand on the trunk and left hand on the branches of a cherry tree...and ringing it out like a towel just above my glass. INCREDIBLE!!! Pours a soft red with small rose foam. Washington cherry blossoms and freshly baked pie tease the nose. The flavor combines buttery flaky crust, sweet ripened fruit, and cherry tartness. This beer is distinguished, legendary, and should be celebrated!!!

05-29-2011 05:49:38 | More by BOLTZ7555
landhoney

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

I love this beer, despite it being almost more of a cherry cider than a beer. This beer is all about the cherry, although the base beer must be solid to build the cherry goliath on top of. The cherry aroma, taste, sourness, and sweetness are all there, so intense it borders on medicinal but it is NOT, it's a natural/real cherry taste that is so enjoyable and refreshing. I could guzzle this stuff by the gallon and never tire of it, can't think of a negative except maybe there are more complex beers out there. I wish they made a sour variant of this, but they should never change this beer, it is exceptional on its own and for what it is; a cherry beer.

05-31-2011 21:06:00 | More by landhoney
willyc

South Carolina

3.48/5  rDev -20.4%

This beer is a great example of a brewery reflecting their local suroundings in the beer that they brew. The appearance is ruby red, with a one finger head and good lacing. The nose is CHERRY with a little oak and almond. The flavor is great at first.... but am I alone by saying that this is Slushy sweet? I mean It's well done and maybe I should have shared the 750 ML with 8 people instead of one. It would be good in a 6 oz glass and I respect the craftsmanship but too much for me. Good Day.

06-22-2011 00:52:59 | More by willyc
BigFrank71

4.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Since i do most of my drinking in Wisconsin, I have become a big fan of New Glarus. This Beligian red was very tasty. Nice ruby red color with a pink head. perfect tart cherry flavor, not overly sweet and not too tart. This served with a good cheescake or even a sorbet would be the cats ass. New Glarus did a fantastic job with this one

05-06-2008 04:18:27 | More by BigFrank71
tuo

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance: Deep red body with golden highlights and a very nice white/reddish head that is persistent throughout the glass.

Smell: All kinds of cherries up front smelled absolutely fantastic. There is also a faint smell of oak underneath.

Taste: Nice in your face sour/tart cherry flavor that finishes in a sweet cherry pie flavor.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Perfect carbonation with a fizzy and smooth feel. Fizzy upfront but in the back nice and smooth. This beer could be drank all night long. Absolutely fantastic.

10-21-2008 22:55:56 | More by tuo
mgobrew

4.2/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Pours from the bottle into an imperial pint glass looking like cranberry juice with head. The body is a dark red with a pinkish tan head that rises quickly but disappears rapidly leaving some lace on the side of the glass.

S: Sour cherries are noticeable before the glass reaches my nose. There is an extremely strong cherry aroma with a hint of sweetness like a jolly rancher or a sweet tart.

T: The aroma carries well into the taste as the sour dark cherry hits the palate first and then gives way to the sweetness which tastes more like a jolly rancher than sweet tart.

M: This is one very heavy, syrup like beer that has a noticeable carbonation that leads to the crisp dry tart finish. It certainly carries some weight in the mouth as it is consumed.

D: This was an excellent after Thanksgiving Dinner treat. This is a beer with real good balance of sweet and sour, perhaps too sweet to drink the whole 750ml bottle at one time, but a great beer to share with friends. After the first few sip I had to break out some dark chocolate just to see….chocolate covered cherries! Every trip to Wisconsin will require at least one or two of these beauties coming back with me.

11-26-2007 00:57:14 | More by mgobrew
moon0

4.5/5  rDev +3%

Pours a deep burgundy hue, prety spritzy at first, but the head dissipates quickly. The mouthfeel is fuller than a typical Belgium kriek. Upfront there's some tartness, followed by an intense burst of real cherry flavor, almost like a baked cherry cobbler. Finishes with a surprising flavor of spiced plums. A really fantastic interpretation of a classic Belgium style by an artisanal American brewery.

09-23-2003 20:05:45 | More by moon0
thedeezy

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%

I received this as a gift from a Wisconsin friend. The pour was beautiful, a slight head that dissipated into a thin foam of carbonation. The color was a beautiful auburn red. Gorgeous for a beer. With a fresh, not too harsh, smell of tart cherries, the beer had an inviting aroma. With the first sip it was absolutely, completely, CHERRY! There is very little hint of malt, or even hints of beer characteristics. The smooth taste of the beer itself is full of fruit. With heavy notes of cherry, dashed with punches of tart this beer is refreshing, to say the least. The hint of tart and sour lingers in the back of your mouth. Within a few sips you can almost wish there was a crust to finish your cherry pie. Great use of fruit in a beer. Definitely a beer for those that appreciate a sour beer.

12-02-2011 03:41:01 | More by thedeezy
thoover

4.2/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance: A dark red, very cloudy. Not much head at all, and what head there is dissipates very quickly.

Smell: Smells like fresh sour cherries, the sort that you'd use for a cherry pie.

Taste: Full burst of cherries at the start, tastes like a tart cherry pie. The bitterness comes out in the end, for a clean, sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Not a light beer, lots of fruit in it, but it is very smooth.

Drinkability: I finished all 750 ml of the bottle, and it was great...

12-02-2004 02:33:11 | More by thoover
beefnbarley

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured with a reddish hue which was expected given the amount of cherries added.

Poured with a white, fine head that tended to settle quickly.

Strong cherry aroma immediately and dominated the odor. Slight hint of tartness or sour behind the cherries was evident and pleasant.

Sweet, cherry, effervescent beer that was quite refreshing. Beer is light on sour/tartness and tends to lean more towards a sweet, dry finish.

Medium body, high level of carbonation.

Great beer that I look forward to enjoying again.

12-12-2009 02:41:58 | More by beefnbarley
BadgerBrewer16

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Awesome in your face cherry smell right up front, poured into a champagne flute a reddish amber color, head dissipated almost immediately to just a ring of foam, taste is tart cherries up front with a sweet finish, this is one great beer that left me wanting more

03-03-2012 02:37:11 | More by BadgerBrewer16