Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

Wants: 1,133
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 950 | Hads: 3,180
4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

Last purchase before leaving my annual vacation spot...

Pours a burgundy with fizzing carbonation that slowly removes the head until a light lacing around the edge remains.

Smells of, well, lots of cherries. Very sweet, a bit tart; smells like dessert!

Wow, very sweet cherries took me for a bit of a surprise, even after I smelled the sweet aromas. Tart in the back and finish is crisp and tries to balance the taste, but it is still really sweet. Low ABV and complex taste makes this a good starting beer.

I'm glad I tried both of the New Glarus fruit beers (Raspberry Tart). They seem to have a good brew crew over there capable of creating something different while still making it approachable. Both of these beers will be on my list again next year.

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%

Supplied by a buddy from Milwaukee via UPS - Thanks, Doug.

Pours a murky cherry red with copious off-white head and a bit of lace. Smells like a big bowl of cherries, I detect no hop or malt aroma at all.

Taste is perfectly fruity, with little in the way of notable malt or hop notes. More like a cider or even a sweet wine. Finish is pinpoint and clean with no cloying or candy sweetness lingering. Mouthfeel is thick and carbonation is pronounced.

This is a perfect after-dinner or dessert drink. I could also see serving this as a wine substitute during a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. This is the best fruit ale I've ever tasted, but it's certainly no session beer.

4.27/5  rDev -1.8%

Figured it was about time to review this one.

I love the color of this one, it pours out a sexy cherry (really!!) with hints of mahogany around the edges. There is a medium amount of head on this one as it doesn't leave much lacing either. A very powerful tart cherry character is present. Taste is pretty much the same; a lot of tart cherries with a slightly sweet finish. This bottle had a very bitter aftertaste, which I don't recall from previous batches. Maybe my palate was off. There's a lot of carbonation to this and it's kind of similar to champagne in mouthfeel. I enjoy the hell out of this one and look forward to drinking plenty of this in the upcoming summer months!

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a fluted glass.

A: Mahogany color with small foamy head that dissipates quickly.
S: Tart cherries. Very similar to the smell of Luden's cherry flavored cough drops.
T: Sweet and tart cherry notes in the beginning, full cherry flavor in the middle and tartness in the ending.
M: Low to medium body with high carbonation.
D: This is pretty darn tasty if you're into cherries. A bit hard to finish the whole bottle, unless you really love cherries. Very good stuff. Try it, at least!

3.92/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Interesting beer, thanks to my trading buddy hu5om for this one!

Very deep cherry smell, pretty much caught all cherry ever since the bottle was opened. Nice red color to it, wasn't quite sure if this was the beer I was looking for tonight, though.

I pretty much got the same taste as I did smell. It was like cherry pie all the way through, with a nice sweet taste to it. Not a fizzy carbonation or anything like that either, just a very fruity beer.

4.69/5  rDev +7.8%

Luckily living in the greater Chicagoland area the New Glarus Brewery is only about a 3 hour trip away, so its' easy to justify a "beer run" for their beers, especially this one. One special note: the pound of cherries is from the famous Door County Penninsula of Wisconsin, where they proudly claim there are "more cherries than people". If you've ever been in Door County you know its' not far from the truth. But the point is that Door County cherries are by themselves an incredible taste treat and a reason why this fruit ale is so special.

A: The appearance is deep reddish brown, quite murky with swirling cascades as the foam rises. Head retention is average with thin lacing as the foam subsides. Very interesting.

S: The aroma from this brew is incredible! Cherries, over a pound of Door County cherries make this olfactory explosion. There is also some toasty, nuttiness the floats through the aroma so one might almost think "cherry turnover". Not sweet but with a tart, crisp tingle to the nostrils.

T: I'm not a big fan of lambics, a little too sweet for my taste, but this fruit ale is the perfect blend of sweet and tart. Cherries galore and more cherries make this a explosion of taste on the palate. I also taste some caramel notes and a little biscuit toastiness. No syrupy sweetness to this finish. It finishes crisp, clean and tart. One of the most unusual and memorable beers I've sampled in some time.

M: Creamy, smooth, tingling the tounge as you roll this complex ale across your palate.

D: I can see having a glass or two of this wonderful complex nectar. Much more so than any lambic I've tasted as it doesn't overwhelm your taste buds with sweetness. The tart finish keeps this fruit ale quite drinkable, but hardly a session beer.

Overall: Give kudos to a small brewery like New Glarus for creating such an unusual taste treat. It rightly deserves a place on BA top 100 list. Even if you're not a fruit beer fan, this one is well worth your time to sample.

4.49/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a large wine glass. Opaque crimson color with white head.

Smell is of sweet cherry pie. I know it sounds weird to be so specific, but that's what it is: cherry pie filling. Delicious.

Flavor is similar to the aroma, cherry pie. However, it's a little more complex, with hints of malt on the front of the palate. The overall effect is of slightly tart cherries, with a hint of breadiness.

Mouthfeel is pretty carbonated, but not harsh. In fact, it's prerry smooth.

Though I couldn't drink a lot of this on one sitting, it's so delicious I wanted to gulp it down, lest it should disappear before I could finish it. A tremendously tasty treat.

4.83/5  rDev +11%

An absolute cracker...

The appearance of the beer is simply gorgeous. A shade of brownish red, perhaps a mahogany red. Whatever color you would call it, it is beautiful and not far short of perfect. Wonderful smell, with cherries and oakiness, a touch of hoppiness and malt coming through in harmony. The taste is even better. Cherries dancing on the tongue with the smooth oakiness balancing perfectly. A touch of sourness adds some contrast as well with the traditional beer-like tastes of hoppiness and malt delicately coming through towards the end. A long and smooth finish that is about as delicious and drinkable as beer gets. Exquisite.

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

I love this beer, despite it being almost more of a cherry cider than a beer. This beer is all about the cherry, although the base beer must be solid to build the cherry goliath on top of. The cherry aroma, taste, sourness, and sweetness are all there, so intense it borders on medicinal but it is NOT, it's a natural/real cherry taste that is so enjoyable and refreshing. I could guzzle this stuff by the gallon and never tire of it, can't think of a negative except maybe there are more complex beers out there. I wish they made a sour variant of this, but they should never change this beer, it is exceptional on its own and for what it is; a cherry beer.

3.78/5  rDev -13.1%

A: Scarlet red with a foamy, dissipating, pink head.

S: Heavy on cherries, as it should be, but also a distinct barley/grain nose.

T: Tart cherry taste at first with medium carbonation. Extremely faint barley taste, finishes with delicious cherry flavor. Tastes a lot like cherry juice. Quite sweet.

M: Good carbonation, not dry at all either.

D: Too sweet to have more than about two.

Overall: As a native Wisconsinite, New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red is in nearly every grocery store. I've had it before, but this is my first time rating it. The appearance is really great, deep scarlet, almost blood red. The taste is extremely heavy on cherry, but not unpleasant. There are hints, although faint, of barley, and the smell is quite nice as well. Give it a shot for its uniqueness!

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

I love this beer! First you have to consider the elegant packaging... the green 750ml bottle, the red wax, even the label is classy. Then you pour... aroma is a blast of fresh pie cherries. And the color, a hazy beautiful dark pink-red complete with a light pink head which fades quickly. Taste is a refreshing, sweet-tart, complex sour, acetic, cherry flavor. Not for amateurs! My friend and girlfriend didn't really care for it and they gave me theirs. She said the tartness and carbonation reminded her of the inside of Zots candy. More for me! Just one drop of this beer is loaded with flavors. Medium body with a medium, brisk, carbonation accentuating the tartness. I look forward to trying it again at the GABF.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks to my husband, hopsbreath, who has nurtured an amazing trade relationship with zimmerbloke. In nearly every trade, zimmerbloke is sure to send a Wisconsin Belgian Red and a Rasberry Tart... Just for me ;-)

Appearance: Dark red in color.
Smell: Dark sweet cherries.
Taste: Delicious!!! This really tastes like sweet cherry juice. It is refreshing and not syrupy.
Mouthfeel: Carbonated, refreshing and clean.
Drinkability: A M A Z I N G. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

4.17/5  rDev -4.1%

750 ml wax capped bottle

A: Dark Red/Amber in color. Low carbonation creates a small white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Powerful cherry aroma, no doubt about it. I looked at the label and read over a pound of cherries in each bottle. That sounds about right, just based on the smell.

T: Very strong cherry flavor and on the sweet side. Not too sweet though, balanced pretty well. Unable to detect alcohol tastes.

M: Light and refreshing on the palate, very easy to drink. Probably would have liked more carbonation on this one.

O: A very drinkable and refreshing beer, I wish I had another one of these. I was kind of hoping this beer was going to be a little more tart and sour, since the label indicates the style is a Flanders Red. From that point of view, I'm a little disappointed. However, overall I was impressed by this beer and look forward to trying more from New Glarus.

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

Bottle at the GABF. I feel so lucky to have tried this beer. Poured a dark red color, with a thick creamy reddish head. Smelled sweet of cherry, tart cherries not sweet ones. Tasted just like cherry pie, not overly sweet and sticky though, just the actual taste of cherry pie. Probably one of the best beers I've ever had, and it makes me sad everyday that Colorado can't get it.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

A- Pours out in a reddish orange color and is slightly opaque . The head almost immediately dissipates.

S- Smells pleasantly of sweet cherry, almost like you would expect smelling maraschino cherries.

T- The second it hits the tongue there is an overwhelming sweet, cherry flavor. However, it is followed up by a noticeable tartness but doesn't become overbearing or too demanding.

M- It has a fizz that works well with the level of sweet flavor, almost like a pop. It doesn't overdo it, though, and goes down fairly easily.

O- This is a fantastic fruit beer, but as others have noticed, it isn't something that you'd want to drink a lot of or super regularly. It is more like a desert than a beer. Nevertheless, it is full of flavor and a wonderful beer.

3.18/5  rDev -26.9%

I suppose fruit beers and lambics just aren't my thing, but I could not help but try this belgian red at the New Glarus Brewery.

Appearance: About as close to red as beer can get, you can see the carbonation bubbles flying towards the top

Smell: Cherries, a whole pound of cherries! You can smell it from a mile away

Taste: Incredibly sour, obviously I know this is a matter of palate, but I just could not handle it.

Mouthfeel: Champagne dry, almost needed a glass of water afterward.

Drinkability: You're not exactly going to drink this down fast, to be served in small doses. Definetely a beer for non-beer people, and the big fruit beer fan's holy grail, just not for me

4.02/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from the waxed 750 mL bottle into a champagne flute.

The beer poured an opaque, rusty brown with a thin, tan-colored head. The head faded very quickly, and left a bit of sticky lacing on the glass. Not a very pretty beer.

The smell was cherries. To be blatantly honest, the smell reminded me of cough syrup, and I had a hard time getting around that.

It was hard to find the carbonation in the mouthfeel, but it didn't feel watery, either. Very light-bodied.

The taste was sweet cherries, like fresh cherry pie filling. There was some tartness to the finish, but the sweet, almost sugary flavor dominated. It was pretty tasty stuff, just very sweet.

This is a beer that I tend to buy more as a novelty than an everyday brew. I pick these up all the time as gifts, or to share, but very rarely get one for myself. I'm not a huge cherry fan, but I do enjoy several glasses of this every time I have it.

I've found it pairs well with good, dark chocolate.

4.22/5  rDev -3%

Pours pink/red and slightly hazy. Fizzy champagne bubbles. Aroma is amazing. No harsh chemically or plastic aroma. Spicy cherry aroma. Warm inviting cherry flavor, alcohol, spice, aged wood. Dry, warm finish. Lingering tart cherries. Just enough background malt ot make it a beer. #2 New Glaurus fruit beer, just behind the Raspberry Tart.

4.06/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to zizzybalubba for this one. Pops good with a bit of bubbles. Smell is cherry candy and all cherry. There is no doubt this is a cherry beer. Thick and full of flavor and pretty sweet. Tates like a kids drink or something like that. Very different beer, but for a fruit beer, this is awesome. I drank the bottle and was wore out doing so. I think the first glass was great, but at 4% I thought I would be able to do this on my own. The last glass was starting to get to me, but the first glass was wonderful.

4.62/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Amber red bod reminiscent of a zinfandel with a white head containing a pinkish hue.

A: Quite inviting and reminds me of canned cherry pie filling. This is going to be sweet and tart.

T: Sweetness hits immediately with a pleasant tartness on the follow-through. Reminds me of a Shirley Temple I had as a kid.

M: Medium body; nice carbonation, almost like a slightly flat cherry 7-up.

D: I was expecting to be overwhelmed with an overly sweet cherry bomb explosion in my mouth. But after a few sips, I found myself quite pleased. It's a nice change of pace from the beer world I've grown accustomed to. I think I may explore a few other fruity/sour beers in the future. Thanks to my girlfriend for sharing her bottle.

4.04/5  rDev -7.1%

Served into my New Glarus tasting glass during the tour.

Pours a light red with minimal head.

Smells like a ton of cherries. Lots and lots of cherries.

Taste is very good. Nothing but cherries in my mind. Hard to believe this is actually beer. Almost like kool-aid.

Thicker beer than I had imagined this would be. Carbonation was perfect.

Wouldn't drink more than a few oz's at a time. Too sweet to be considered a session-able beer to me.

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

This is not a normal beer so this is really a difficult review to write...

a: pours a bright red with nice carbonation and good but quickly retreating head. No need to pour this too aggressively. lighter body so lace isn't too sticky. very unique bright color make this a joy to admire.

s: it smells like cherries, perhaps mixed with some cherry-flavored jolly ranchers, cherry-flavored sweet tarts, and a hint of Belgian ale.

t: almost like drinking sparkling fruit juice, extremely sweet and a little tart. no significant taste of hops or even really much taste of "beer" for that matter. this is a truly unique experience... they say right on the bottle that they've applied for a patent on this and you can see why that is. it's almost a whole new genre of beverage.

m: nice Belgian crispness. very bubbly and refreshing. could drink this while laying on the beach.

o: most fruit beers have a tinge of fruit in the beer; but this fruit beer has a tinge of beer in the fruit. it tastes incredibly fresh and just has a "realness" to it. it feels like it was assembled and came together naturally--not just "flavored" with something new and different like so many other "unique" beers. A lot of great beers can't really be appreciated by people that aren't beer connoisseurs but this sweet, crisp, low-ABV, refreshing beverage could be enjoyed by anyone.

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

This is by far the best fruit beer I have tried. Pours red...cherry aroma...high carbonation. The sweetness and carbonation give a great mouthfeel and I love the sour tart finish of the Door County cherries. I can't image getting any more cherry taste in this beer. Good with chocolate too.

3.7/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a great reddish color with a nice fizz and head. Smells like a cherry soda, it's amazing how much cherry aroma this beer has. Taste is all cherry, tart with a sweet mouthfeel. The smell and taste just never give up.

An amazing beer, i just can't understand how they get so much cherry flavor in the beer. But personally it's too sweet for me.

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

Tasted with bross242 and dannosparks.

Appearance - Pours a hazy red color. Does not produce too much head, and the little bit that there is dissapates quickly.

Smell - Wow, this is pleasure to smell. Cherry, cherry, and more cherry. It reminds me of smelling my grandma's cherry pie. Outstanding.

Taste - A bunch of cherry yet again. I am not much for fruit beers, but this is just fantastic. Can I say grandma's cherry pie once again.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability - This is an outstanding beer. The cherry is just fantastic. One of the best beers I have had in awhile. I would highly recommend trading for it!!

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company