Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,014
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

I thought my first review should be the best fruit beer I have had to date.
A. Ruby red with tiny bubbles well carbonated.
S. Like McDonalds Cherry pie. I want to smell this beer as much as drink it.
T.Like Sara Lee Cherry Pie in a Glass def taste the "over a pound of Door Cherries per bottle".
M.Carbonated ,like champagne, sweet.
O.Fantastic,light ,fruity, cherries really come thru,crisp a great early morning riser due to the low alc% gladly pay 20$ to get a bottle shipped now and then.

Socalbeerlover, Jul 26, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Last purchase before leaving my annual vacation spot...

Pours a burgundy with fizzing carbonation that slowly removes the head until a light lacing around the edge remains.

Smells of, well, lots of cherries. Very sweet, a bit tart; smells like dessert!

Wow, very sweet cherries took me for a bit of a surprise, even after I smelled the sweet aromas. Tart in the back and finish is crisp and tries to balance the taste, but it is still really sweet. Low ABV and complex taste makes this a good starting beer.

I'm glad I tried both of the New Glarus fruit beers (Raspberry Tart). They seem to have a good brew crew over there capable of creating something different while still making it approachable. Both of these beers will be on my list again next year.

SkitzIrish3, Jul 24, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Special thanks to Casey for this extra. My first bottle of Belgian Red.

A- A very interesting combination of ruby reddish brown. There are bubbles everywhere, and a fizzy white head.

S-Cherry jolly ranchers. It smells sweet. Those are pretty much the only things I can pick out.

T- Pretty much like the nose. The sweetness hits my tongue instantly, and then notes of Cherry Jolly Ranchers are pretty much what I get. The cherries actually do taste pretty real, which is a nice touch.

M- Pretty fizzy which is fitting, but a little thick any cloying. The sweetness is just a bit too much. Good flavor though for such a low ABV beer.

O- This is a very tasty beer, but not something I could drink regularly. It is very sweet, almost overly sweet. Very remenicent of Raspberry Tart, but with cherries. Am vacationing with my Dad, he said it tasted like cough syrup =)

-GFunk

Gfunk720, Jul 24, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

750 mL green bottle with a thin layer of red wax over the cap. No date stamp or code.

Served cool into a goblet, Wisconsin Belgian Red is a stunning beer to behold. The color is a striking ruby red with great clarity. The head is a pale pink and settles quickly.

The aroma blows me away. It is the essence of cherry, pure and simple. If you love cherries, the smell alone is worth the price. Mostly sweet but slightly tart, the beer smells as though it was bottled today. In reality it has been cellaring for about 6 months.

Fortunately, the flavor doesn't disappoint. It's as radically cherry as any beer has the right to be. Sweet up front, fresh sweet cherries dominate. The wheat ale base is really just a simple stage on which the cherries can shine.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body and nicely carbonated. I expected it to be a little more effervescent but I enjoy that it isn't. Alcohol is nonexistant.

Overall the best fruit beer I've ever had, hands down. It makes all others look weak by comparison.

GilGarp, Jul 22, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

wow. what an impressive, well-made beer. purplish, dark, dark red with a pink head that holds for a bit. nose is cherry pie, cherry, cherry, and dark cherry with a malt backbone that comes off to me like fresh-baked pie crust with cinnamon. everything awesome about WI cherries is hiding in here, and the essence seems to be near perfectly captured. some nutty, pitty notes, and a bit of earth/dirt for good measure. incredibly clean with not a trace of artificial. taste is clean, sweet cherry pie, but tartness comes in and balances everything out. so much so that it doesn't even seem tart... or sweet. brilliant in that aspect. this is a fruit bomb, and one of the only times i think i have used that term positively. medium almost medium-full body. sweetness is almost sticky, but delivers itself cleanly. great beer from New Glarus here. a modern classic!

timtim, Jul 21, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -16%

Poured from bomber into tulip glass. Pours a nearly opaque, glowing deep ruby with a bubbly, fizzy pink head. Tremendous cloudlike, chunky lacing. Aroma of Luden’s cough drops, pure dark cherries, pie crust, brown sugar, and notes of subtle, buttery yeasty dough. Medium to slightly robust bodied with a mellow, creamy, sweetly tart mouthfeel. Spacious, slow, and tangy finish. Not my favorite style but would suit any fruit beer lovers extremely well in any case!

CuriousMonk, Jul 21, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from a 25 oz bottle into 2 Sam Adams pints.

A: Pours a clear copper color with one finger of pinkish brown head. Good retention and lace.

S: Great funky cherry smell, very inviting.

T: Cherry funk from start to finish. A little sweet, a little tart and tangy, very tasty.

M: Light mouthfeel, slightly oily/syrupy.

O: Even better than their Raspberry Tart, the cherry flavor really sings. When it comes to this style, New Glarus really knows what it's doing.

AmericanGothic, Jul 20, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

750 ml bottle poured into a snifter.
I am not usually a fan of fruit beers, however.... this is something special.

Pours slightly cloudy reddish in color with a thin pinkish head.

The aroma quickly transports you into a cherry orchard on a perfect summer morning.

Flavor is cherry of all varieties; sweet, sour, etc., but also includes the other characteristics found in good Belgian ales.

This was a very balanced beer. My Christmas present came early when I discovered a family member who travels to Wisconsin on a regular basis. We now have a standing order.

ajsdad06, Jul 20, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -8%

25oz bottle acquired via trade.

full disclosure - fruit beers are NOT my thing; tried many times, just can't get all the way there. having said that, i was suitably impressed with wisconsin red. nice red-purplish color, big fluffy head. the cherries in the nose are out of control! smells like fresh-baked cobbler, not a hint of artificial here.

taste - initially feels overly sweet, but the tart/crispness overpowers any lingering sweetness. clean finish, carbonation is a bit overdone for my tastes.

very glad i got to try something out of the ordinary.

robbrandes, Jul 19, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

25oz wax dipped bottle poured into Pilsner glass.

A. 2+ fingers of very fine bubbled head. Decent retention. Not a lot of lacing. Color is a ruby red brown.

S. Smell is somewhat vegetal. Has a subdued sourness too it. Has cherry smell that comes out as it warms. Cherry smell is of actual cherries and not syrupy or artificial smelling like some fruit beers. I think that is one reason that the smell is a bit restrained.

T. Taste is pretty much all a showcase to the cherries. Really lovely cherry flavor. All natural and not artifical or syrupy flavor. Nice marriage of sweet and sour. Really delicous. When you drink this you can understand why the bottle says a marriage of beer and wine.

M. Medium/light bodied. Well carbonated. Actually quite a bit of mouthfeel for a 4% beer. Finishes with just a little sweetness.

O. Probably one of the best fruit beers I have had yet. Just a real natural fresh taste that most breweries are unable to pull off. This beer is all about the fruit, and I can't imagine a better showcase than Belgian Red. New Glarus is a top notch brewery.

siradmiralnelson, Jul 19, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from the bottle into a large snifter glass.

Out of the bottle the beer pours a little off red/orange, but hits with a great clear ruby body. Head forms a nice off pink and creamy texture and some spotted leopard like lacing while drinking. Looks real nice. Finishes with champagne bubble bath suds of red.

Bouquet is unique and distinct but mostly a surprise. Candy store cherry wrapper candy notes and spicy. A very big burst of cinnamon red hots sensations. Strong but not overpowering and completely tolerable. Incredibly impressive.

Taste follows the nose but brings some nice sensations. Very mild tartness with cherry candy store fruit. Finish with cinnamon red hot candy chews without the burning acid.

Texture is almost creamy from the head play with body, but it's still quite light in feel. Mouthwash like teeth coating effect as well.

Overall this is pretty easy drinking, an immense flavor profile, unique, and so refreshing. Well done.

smakawhat, Jul 18, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have been an avid cfraft beer drinker for years...this is my first review on a beer...Im a chef and think my info can help others...please give me feedback, positive and negative. I hope to get beer lovers like me to join me n the tastings!!

Ok so here we go...Recently my best friend went to Wisconson for a wedding and on the way there i gave him about $120.00 to spend on whatever beer he could get me that doesnt ship to the hershey, pa area. New Glarus happened to be the main brewery he got me. I tried a bunch of their others beers, unplugged series, regular brews, etc. So I happened to try this beer yesterday and wow!!!

I have had many fruit beers from top brewers and this one did NOT disappoint..The pour was ambered with that red the already had cherry flavoring in it, not to mention when you pop the cap you get a robust sour, tangy cherry smell.
The taste of the belgian ale is a tart cherry burst waiting for you to sip and then sip again!!

Mouthfeel smashes your mouth with cherry flavor, but not to filling at only 4.0% what really do you expect.

Overall by far the best cherry beer i have had..Easily top 5-10 fruit beers I've had. If you can get your hands on it please give it a try.

psychorydas, Jul 13, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a deep cranberry color--clear, bright, and effervescence in the light. Has a 1/2 inch head that falls almost immediately and disappears, leaving no cling on the sides of the champagne flute. The bouquet is cherries all the way, with just very subtle grape coming across. Very pleasing nose. The cherries announce themselves loud and clear at first taste--both sweet and tart. Much more subdued wheat cracker, hop zest, muddling spice notes, and blood orange are also present. The flavors really burst throughout the beer's life on the palate, with quite a bit of carbonation helping out. Aside from the carbonation, the feel is medium bodied and surprisingly light despite the "heaviness" of the flavor. Crisp and clean-finishing.

This is a really outstanding fruit beer from every angle. It walks a fine line between beer and wine, and it walks it very well. New Glarus has a real command of brewing fruit beers, and this is one of the shining examples of that expertise. Pairs great with a lot of foods, especially rich cheeses. Not to be missed.

DabblinWiscCraft, Jul 12, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to Alexander and Masterski for the bottles. Much appreciated

A-- Poured a lighter shade of black cherry. thought it was a brown ale at first. Very clear and very little head, what head was there was white at at best film only.

S-- Cherry soda. Plain and simple. Great nose. Cherries and brown sugar. Ripe and fresh. Very tart nose with this. Has my mouth watering already.

T-- Black cherry, cherry jam, candied cherry. More cherry than you can throw a stick at. Highly carbonated and closer to soda than beer.

M-- Literally like drinking cherry pie. Get brown sugar, bread, cherries (duh) and a lot of tartness in the finish. Oak is there but reserved and soft. helps contrast the cherries and adds dimension to this. A whole lot of acid with this. high carbonation and light feel. Very nice.

O-- Reminds me of the Thorogoods Apple beers but with the ABV toned down, drinkability higher, and obviously being cherry. Closer to sparkling apple cider in the fruitiness of this and the drinkability of it. Stunning beer for summer.

mulder1010, Jul 10, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

750ml bottle into Portsmouth snifter. I apologize for not writing down who sent me this but I do that you for the trade.

A: Pours a dark woody-cranberry with a thin dark white head that fizzed away rather quickly into a faint collar leaving no lace.
S: As expected, the smell is consumed by rich dark cherries, sweet cherry syrup, and musty cherry pits and skins. There is a touch of musty oak as well. Very delicious and inviting.
T: Follows the nose with a big fresh cherry flavor. There is nothing synthetic tasting about this beer. The cherry taste is sweet, lightly tart, and most importantly, tastes like I’m eating an actual cherry. Just like the nose, the oak barrel and cherry skins translate into a nice woody, musty flavor that adds depth and counteracts the sweetness from the cherries. I also pick up a note or two of brown sugar and dried prunes.
M: Feels like soda in my mouth with very fizzy carbonation, medium body and drying finish. Pretty bubbly.
O: One of the more complex and well-rounded fruit beers I’ve consumed. I enjoyed putting away this whole bottle.

scottfrie, Jul 08, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

A- Pours a great ruby. A nice light pink/whitish head forms, but recedes quickly. A little lacing but not as much as I would aspect.

S- Very strong on the cherries. That's the overwhelming profile is slightly tart cherries. I get a slight malt flavor but this beer is designed to showcase the cherries and it does a great job.

T- I love the taste of this beer. No matter how many times I drink it, I always want more. The cherries shine through but in a balanced why so the sweetness is tempered and it's just a perfect complex cherry taste. Every time I drink it, I get new notes out of it. Very fresh with a nice tartness. Absolutely my favorite dessert beer.

M- Medium bodied with a good carbonation. Very delicate on the palate with a little stickiness but very full bodied.

O- Very outstanding! Easily one of my favorite beers. The beer is so unique and so well done that I sometimes am stunned that a cherry beer could be this delicate, fresh, and such a fun drinking experience.

clarkm04, Jul 07, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to ThomasHardy for this 750ml bottle, poured into a LaChouffe tulip. The massive cherry pie aroma more than makes up for the pedestrian appearance. Just the right level of carbonation to keep the rather oily body from becoming too sticky. Multiple layers of cherry deliciousness. Light biscuity malt and light caramel sweetness bring crust to mind; you might as well be drinking cherry pie. Quite a treat on its own, and fun to blend with a nice stout as well.

PDXHops, Jul 07, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow! Big thanks to TATURBO for this beautiful beer. The beer was perfect for the holiday weekend! This brew pours out as a nice looking brownish red color. The smell was of fresh cherry juice and a little bit of malt. The taste was wonderful, the cherries were sweet and just a little tart on the back end. Really well done flavor. The mouthfeel was nice, smooth and dry not a lot of carbonation. Overall the I found this beer to be damn near perfect, it's leaves a great impression on me and I'm very excited to try more from this brewery.

Knapp85, Jul 03, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

750...mine poured into a pint glass, my lady's poured into a Mason jar! (Thats all she had for glassware at her place)

A - Beautiful ruby color with a nice finger+ worth of redish white foam on top. Nice retention and lacing on it.

S - Not surprisingly, cherries and some grainy backbone. Smells absolutely delicious.

T - Wow, amazingly good with the cherry the huge star of course. Not real tart either. And the grains add just the right backing to this. Just outstanding.

M - I'd call it light-medium bodied, decent carbonation. Ultra-smooth and drinkable.

O - My girl LOVED this one. She was reluctant to even try it but boy did she rave. Me, I loved it as well. I am NOT a fruit beer guy but this one is just exceptional. I could drink this all summer long

mooselvlt, Jun 28, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Very red with a finger of off white head that leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet and fruity, natural somewhat tart cherry.

Taste: Sweet and natural cherry, like carbonated cherry juice. Mildly sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with mild carbonation and a slick finish.

Overall: A very nice fruit beer, like this slightly more than the raspberry. Surprisingly, not too sweet.

oline73, Jun 26, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

A- Pours a clear, ruby red with a small white head. Good lacing and head retention.

S- Cherries, hints of vanilla?

T- More cherries...fresh and above all else, real. Tart. Dare I say orgasmic?

M- Dances on the tongue like its sister Raspberry Tart.

D/O- I've had many a beers in my day but this remains one of the best beers I've ever had. Light and fruity, its an easy drinker although I find myself taking small sips just to savor. The epitome of "world class".

Duff27, Jun 24, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -20.5%

This beer is a great example of a brewery reflecting their local suroundings in the beer that they brew. The appearance is ruby red, with a one finger head and good lacing. The nose is CHERRY with a little oak and almond. The flavor is great at first.... but am I alone by saying that this is Slushy sweet? I mean It's well done and maybe I should have shared the 750 ML with 8 people instead of one. It would be good in a 6 oz glass and I respect the craftsmanship but too much for me. Good Day.

willyc, Jun 22, 2011

A- pours a nice bright red, head settles quickly and is very bubbly.

S- strong cherries come through, it's a bit medicinal, but just barely.

T- Pure cherry here in the taste, nice flavor, it's on the sweeter side for sure. No medicinal presence in the taste.

M- This was nicely carbonated, light bodied, refreshing.

O- I thought this was well crafted, while I didn't think it was a stand-out for me, it was quite good. I prefer the raspberry tarts flavor profile, but this one had better carbonation.

Franz4, Jun 20, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -11%

Poured into my Founders snifter.

A: Pours a great ruby with pinkish hues around the edges when held up to the light. A nice light pink head forms with a vigorous pour, about 1.5 finger but recedes quickly. No real lace to speak of but a nice ring follows the brew down the glass.

S: Candied cherries up front with a slight tartness. Has a slight medicinal smell but in a good way. Has some hops to it that peak in around the cherrys and nice barley to smooth it out.

T: Hello cherries, so nice to finally meet you! The cherries are extremely sweet and candied in nature, almost like a cherry lollipop. The taste transforms into slight bitterness at the end, but it's very mild.

M: Medium bodied with a great carbonation. Coats the palate with a thinly veiled sweet cherry. A little sticky.

O: I normally do not like fruit beers or sweet tasting beers, but this guy really struck a chord with me. I wouldn't be able to drink it on a regular basis, but it was nice to have after a good dinner. I'm interested to see how the raspberry tart I've got in the fridge compares.

Treebs, Jun 20, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

A: A bit hazy and purplish/red; no real head or lacing unless really forced with vigorous swirling

S: Cherry candy up front: jolly rancher, kool-aid, bubble gum; this smells so sweet with SO MUCH cherries; a bit tart and maybe a touch of a biscuity base but mostly just sweet cherry candy

T: Sweet but not cloyingly so, which I attribute to the pleasant tartness that balances this beer out; loads and loads of cherry of course; this really is tasty but man it doesn't taste like beer, so much tart cherries with even a touch of alcohol in the end; a bit dry of a finish with a touch of a medicinal finish as well

F: Good, decent mouth feel--this beer sticks to the roof of the mouth nicely

O: This is a good, interesting beer; I am not sure I would drink a ton and as it warms it gets a touch on the medicinal side but I still like it

dbossman, Jun 17, 2011