Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,002
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
hawks10

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

750ml bottle poured into my Ithaca Beer Co. tulip glass...

Pours a nice ruby red with two fingers of fluffy pink head, some lacing is left behind...

Cherry, very sweet and fruity. A bit, and I stress "bit" of sourness and oaky dryness, but it is very subdued...pretty much just a cherry bomb, ha...

Cherry Ludens cough drops with a bit of a drying oak flavor. Slightly bitter in the finish but mostly this is just a sweet blend of alcoholic cherry juice with a bit of a drying, woody character and slight tart flavors at the end...kind of feel guilty liking this beer so much...

Medium bodied and very well carbonated. Tingly and crisp on the palette...

I really doubt there is any alcohol in this beer, but New Glarus insists there is. I feel kinda stupid enjoying this juice box so much, but it is great, a nice after meal treat...

05-05-2010 03:53:31 | More by hawks10
DavoleBomb

4.95/5  rDev +13%

Poured into a tulip. Thanks to alcstradamus for this one.

4.0 A: Murky amber red color sort of how dried blood looks. Two fingers of frothy white head with average retention and some lacing.

5.0 S: Holy shit, the cherries. I just had the Raspberry Tart and this is pretty much the same aroma, but with cherries. Cherries, cherries, cherries! Nothing but cherries. The cherries block out everything else. I didn't give the Tart a 5 on the nose, because I appreciate complexity, but i can't not give this a 5 because it's so damn enticing.

5.0 T: Again, the cherries dominate the hell out of this beer, but it doesn't matter. It's so damn tasty. Cherries are mainly sweet, like maraschino cherries, but not in a fake way. There's a subtle tartness that balances the sweetness well. Like the Tart, there isn't any malt or hops to talk about, but I'm sure they do their part in the background.

5.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation is spritzy and dances on the tongue. Super smooth.

5.0 D: I need more of these fruit twins. This is the PERFECT dessert beer for both beer aficianados and BMC guzzlers alike. I'm both sad and disgusted that I only have one bottle left.

05-02-2010 06:26:53 | More by DavoleBomb
yourefragile

District of Columbia

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

750 mL bottle, dipped in dark red wax. Poured into a flute. Thanks Brian23456 (I think)!

A near perfect fruit beer for my tastes in most every regard. Aroma and flavor are dominated by rich, complex and completely natural fresh cherries. Thick, syrupy body with fine carbonation and a long lasting sour and tart cherry finish. Appearance is murky, thick rust and blood color with a large cream colored head with a light rosy tint. Long lasting retention and thick rings of web like lacing. Only thing keeping this from being all 5s for me is that I would prefer a little more tart to sweet cherry flavor, but it's a minor concern.

05-01-2010 02:54:49 | More by yourefragile
DmanGTR

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Review from notes at DLD 4/24/10

This beer poured a lovely, hazy, deep ruby red with a white cap that had the slightest pink in it. The body is a shade darker than the Cranbic. Lots of cherries (Bing and Maraschino type) and a hint of apples. The flavor is so similar to the aroma that the only difference is that I discern a touch more tartness in it. Overall very sweet. Smooth texture, light and bubbly. A great drinker all around.

04-27-2010 18:18:18 | More by DmanGTR
ktrillionaire

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle shared by Bobby8405 at our micro-epic NFL Draft tasting.

A - It pours a grenadine-red, with giant pink foam that is quite short-lived, but it is just a intriguing and beautiful looking brew.

S - The smell is super cherry. It is tremendously fragrant. There is a palpable tartness apparent, too.

T - The taste is saturated entirely with tart red cherries. It is not without dynamic, it is just that every bit of the dynamic is cherry-centric. Sweet like grenadine, tart like cherry pie, earthy like fresh cherries, etc. Awesome. When compared to its sister brew, NG Raspberry Tart, this brew stands far above it; it has complexity in its flavor, highlights and celebrates all flavors cherry, and is much more tart than the Raspberry Tart.

M - Medium-bodied and tart-sweet with a clean and slightly dry finish.

D - Great stuff; it was enjoyed by all.

04-25-2010 22:28:09 | More by ktrillionaire
washburnkid

3.9/5  rDev -11%

Bottle courtesy of a trade with soulforpeanuts. Tasted with dgb3. (I love BAs!) I was blown away by Raspberry Tart and was really looking forward to this one.

Appearance is not what I'd expect from a Belgian. Very cloudy rubies and purples and reds, which makes the body absolutely gorgeous. But the head is minimal and there's not much retention to speak of. Aromas are all cherry...it's very prominent and in your face, but the flavors reveal something a little more subtle. It's actually a lot sweeter on the palate than expected. At the tasting, I said the aromas were freshly picked and ripened cherries, but the flavors were more on the maraschino cherries side of the spectrum, just really sweet and tons of residuals covering the mouth. Each sip revealed a varied level of tartness, which I suppose kept things interesting. Not much "Belgian" in here that I could discern. The cherries really take this one over.

All parties agreed that this brew would be best for either a hot day or a brunch. It was really great for what it was, but I couldn't drink more than one goblet of this in one sitting, whereas I happily drank the entire bottle of Raspberry Tart in a short amount of time.

04-25-2010 19:05:36 | More by washburnkid
AleWatcher

3.38/5  rDev -22.8%

Split this one with the wife after dinner. Poured mine into my duvel tulip and my wife used a lindemanns flute.

This thing is bright and clear. Pinkish red with a pink tint to the head. Nice vertical chunks of lace hang on the curves of my glass.

This beer smells like ludens cherry cough drops- you remember the ones that were more like candy than medicine. Cherry is all I really smell or taste... With exception of a slight sourness that hopefully intensifies with age. I'll be saving a bottle for a while and re-review this at that point. I'm hoping the cherry mellows out and other flavors make an appearance.
I mean this really reminds me of cherry pie filling.

The level of carbonation is great, though less than the raspberry tart. The body is still light and drinkable. This does lose some points on taste and drinkability for being a one trick pony...
But it is not a total loser... It is enjoyable for what it is...It is a fruitbeer afterall.

04-18-2010 22:59:38 | More by AleWatcher
Cubsfan1087

Iowa

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

I really liked this beer. It reminds me of Samuel Smith's Organic Cherry. It pours a dark red and smells like cherry, of course. The taste is great, sweet like cherry but not too sweet. I highly recommend this beer for anyone who likes fruit beers, Samuel Smith's Cherry, or New Glarus beers.

04-18-2010 03:51:34 | More by Cubsfan1087
scottyshades

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

First off, thanks to beerwolf77 for this beauty. Secondly, this is hands down the best cherry flavored beer on the planet.

A: Pours a cherry wood/pinkish color with a small white cap that retains for a minute or two then fades away.

S: Fresh, ripe, delicious cherries! Sweet smelling for sure, with a little twang. I don't pick up on any hops, and malts are pretty faint and hardly noticeable amongst the mass amounts of cherries. The cherries do not smell artificial at all, sweet and sour.

T: Wow...this is what a fruit beer should taste like. No artificial fruit, just ripe, sweet & sour cherries! Tastes like cherry cheesecake pie filling. Highly addicting, and completely different than "beer." Tastes more like a cherry flavored soda. The flavor makes you pucker, but then a sweet side comes out.

MF/D: Expect high carbonation because this is a light brew, light body, lingering sweet & sour cherry finish.

As far as fruit beers go, amazing...but not like typical beers. There were definitely moments where I just wanted to tip the glass back and chug, so be careful and refrain from doing so.

04-18-2010 00:34:43 | More by scottyshades
MrDanno96

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

Doodler sent this to me as an EXTRA in our most recent trade. Thank you for the generosity my friend.

WARNING: My bottle foamed over as soon as I had the cap off and made a decent mess on my kitchen table. I'd recommend opening this over the sink just to be safe.

A: A finger of off-white head sits atop a beautiful reddish brown liquid that gives off ruby hues when held to the light. Some spotty sticky lace sticks to the sides of the glass. Head mostly dissipated after a few minutes.

S: Pretty much straight cherry and not much else. Hints of sourness and acidity are present too. In general, this isn't an unpleasing aroma at all. However, when it's coming from a beer I worry it's going to be too sweet.

T: Tart cherries an a little yeasty funk. Pretty much tastes like sour fruit juice. Are you sure this is beer in my glass?

M: Light body and not a whole lot of carbonation. Dries out a little in the finish. I would actually have liked to see a little more carbonation here.

D: This was good, but I'm not crazy about it to be honest. It reminded me a bit of table wine: very sweet and appealing to drink in small doses. After I was about half-way through the bottle, however, I'd had enough. It just got a little too sweet after a while. I wouldn't drink 750 ml of fruit juice, and that's basically what this tastes like. Despite this, it's still a very respectable fruit beer. The Red Raspberry is much better IMO.

04-03-2010 05:44:03 | More by MrDanno96
boatshoes

4.03/5  rDev -8%

My fifth or so time with this beer due to a generous relative of mine who lives in Wisconsin. About time I gave it a review.

Appearance- Pours a really nice shade of ruby-crimson into my snifter with about two fingers of pink head sitting on top. Head gradually dies down to a thin sheet across the top. Mild lacing and beading as i drink.

Smell- Wow, a whole lot of fresh cherries here. Smells like a fresh cherry pie, just a little bit sweet and jammy. Hard to really detect anything else beyond the cherries, but very fresh and not artificial at all.

Taste- Again, really up front on the fresh cherries. Lots of fresh, sweet cherry and cherry preserves. Mixed in however is a little bit of cherry pit woodiness as well, which adds a little bit more depth. Very nice for dessert, and I imagine it would go very well with cheesecake. Finishes off with a very mild tartness at the end.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is solid with adequate carbonation and not too thick. Drinkability suffers just a touch because this one got a little sweet towards the end of my glass.

Overall, a great cherry inspired fruit beer. Can lean a little towards sweet at the end of your glass, but it never struck me as an artificial fruitiness. Give it a shot

03-26-2010 02:43:41 | More by boatshoes
billab914

4.6/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a set of New Glarus flute glasses. poured a ruby red color with a significant amount of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. It poured with a small white head that quickly retreated to the sides of the glass.

The aroma is is all sweet cherries. Almost smells like a cherry syrup or cherry juice. The taste is pretty much again cherry dominated. It has some sweetness but is also offset by a little dry tartness in the finish. It still leans towards the sweeter side but the tartness helps it from being cloyingly sweet.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation. Drinkability is very good for as fruity as a beer as this is. it would probably pair great with a lot of deserts.

Overall I really loved this beer, but I absolutely love cherries. Cherries are probably my favorite fruit and this beer really tastes like real cherries instead of the fake extract in a lot of cherry beers.

03-26-2010 00:29:25 | More by billab914
urwithdave

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Obtained in a trade with TRBERGMAN. Poured into a CCB snifter.

A- Ruby red in color. Poured a 2 inch head that had good retention. Spider web sticky lacing left.

S- Ummmm cherry jolly ranchers. Then more cherry jolly ranchers.

T- Excellent. Of course it's huge on cherries. It's almost like drinking candy without the sugar overkill. Is there really alcohol in this???? I'm sad that I'm on my last swig.

M- Perfect level of carbonation. Finishes pretty dry.

D- I could drink this for days.

03-20-2010 04:59:01 | More by urwithdave
SirSketch

A - Vibrant ruby red color. Big head that has a slightly red hue, too. A bit cloudy.

S - No doubt, the BEST aroma on any fruit beer... maybe ANY beer I've had! If I didn't know better, I would guess my glass holds a bunch of crushed cherries. Like a sweet cherry pie filling.

T - Again, very fresh, authentic cherries dominate the flavor, but a distinct white grape juice flavor comes through. More sour than tart, if there is a difference (I think so). An awesome sort of candy sugariness that is fantastic. The complexity and depth of this beer is unbelievable!

M/D - Medium carbonation and body. The taste lingers with you and gives you time to think about it for a minute or longer after having it. One of two perfect beers I have ever had. I need more Wisconsin Belgian Red!

03-16-2010 02:32:17 | More by SirSketch
NYCWheatFanSC

Reviewed from notes taken at Greg's epic Wall St. tasting

A - Pours a reddish brown, with a light pink head that quickly recedes to a small collar.

S - CRANBERRIES! (thats all I wrote, but I have a distinct memory of how one-dimensional this was)

T - A typical fruit beer: very one-dimensional, but hammers its point home quite ferociously. A tad cloying.

M - Very thin, too light and champagne-like for my tastes.

D - Very drinkable, could session this all day but for the limited distribution. However, just because you could doesn't mean you should...

03-05-2010 05:10:45 | More by NYCWheatFanSC
wcudwight

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

Bright ruby red in color. Looks like a red wine with a soft pick head, while short-lived has lot's of body and texture. Smells like you're walking through a cherry orchard. No malts, hops, ect..., none needed, the cherries do the job. I could sit here and smell this beer all day. Flavor follows the aroma. Cheeries. Not cough drop cherry flavoring. Real fresh cherries with all of the sweetness and tartness that cheeries have. Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium with great carbonation. I wouldn't call this a session beer but it sure is easy to get this one down. Thanks brewcrew!

03-03-2010 05:07:44 | More by wcudwight
kreeper

Wisconsin

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

I love this beer! First you have to consider the elegant packaging... the green 750ml bottle, the red wax, even the label is classy. Then you pour... aroma is a blast of fresh pie cherries. And the color, a hazy beautiful dark pink-red complete with a light pink head which fades quickly. Taste is a refreshing, sweet-tart, complex sour, acetic, cherry flavor. Not for amateurs! My friend and girlfriend didn't really care for it and they gave me theirs. She said the tartness and carbonation reminded her of the inside of Zots candy. More for me! Just one drop of this beer is loaded with flavors.

02-27-2010 04:31:32 | More by kreeper
arkurzynski

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours pink/red and slightly hazy. Fizzy champagne bubbles. Aroma is amazing. No harsh chemically or plastic aroma. Spicy cherry aroma. Warm inviting cherry flavor, alcohol, spice, aged wood. Dry, warm finish. Lingering tart cherries. Just enough background malt ot make it a beer. #2 New Glaurus fruit beer, just behind the Raspberry Tart.

02-21-2010 03:12:29 | More by arkurzynski
punkrkr27

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Ruddy red colored pour with a small loose head. Tart cherry and sweet pie aroma with a hint of funk. Sweet tart cherry pie flavor with slight cane sugar, vinegar, apple cider and biscuit. The body is sticky, medium full with lots of effervescent carbonation.

02-16-2010 17:13:37 | More by punkrkr27
Onenote81

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Enormous thanks go out to brian23456 for this treat of a beer in a trade awhile back!!

Poured into a flute glass. Pours a very cloudy blood red. A thin tan head with light pinkish tones rests on top. Retains very well. Left little lace. My first though when I smelled this beer was Jolly Ranchers. This smells like any and every cherry candy out there. Very nice.

Nice effervescent body. Carbonation level is spot on. Smooth finish. Wow. Flavors of cherries abound! Finishes tart and slightly drying. Mild bread flavors. Bitterness is low. This is all about the fruit. I could drink bottle after bottle of this stuff. The low ABV makes this extremely accessible. Splendid beer. I could have this and the Raspberry Tart for any celebration. Great job, NG!

02-15-2010 04:28:59 | More by Onenote81
OlieIPA

A great gift from my girlfriend, who recently visited this fine established while she was visiting her family in Wisconsin. Poured at 51 degrees into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Poured with a slightly creamy, but mostly white colored head and mild lacing. The body of the beer is quite murky and exhibits a mix of bright and dark cherry hues.

S: The aroma is similar to cherry syrup, perhaps something you would find in a mixed drink or even a Roy Rogers. A slight medicinal quality is noticeable as well, which may thin out the smell at times.

T: The taste totally reminds me of a frosted cherry turnover, but in liquid form! The sugar flavor is extremely sweet, but not in the granular sense, more vanilla-like...without the vanilla flavor of course.

M: An ample amount of carbonation that lightens up this medium-body beer; the right feel for the style.

D: I have to admit this beer was difficult to guzzle down at times, especially the second half, but it's unique flavor profile is really what made this beer stand out compared to other fruit lambics.

Overall: Not the most balanced beer (to say the least), but again...the flavor profile is out of this world. I highly recommend acquiring a bottle or two. Man, am I glad my girlfriend brought me back two of these bad boys! Cheers!

02-13-2010 17:27:38 | More by OlieIPA
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees

This pours a slightly muddled cherry pink color. The one-finger head of loose foam is cotton-candy pink. It recedes to a spotty, filmy, surface covering. The lacing is spotty, but plentiful, and nicely sticky.

Cherries.
Cherry juice. Maraschino cherries. Ludens cherry cough drops. Cherry lifesavers. Cherry skins.
This nose is all about the cherries. I could sit and sniff this one for hours, I think.

Sweet cherry nectar hits your tongue like sex in your mouth. Damn, that's delicious. Then it spreads out into your mouth and you get the taste of perfectly ripened cherry flesh. Sweet, succulent and full. It finishes with a light ouch of cherry skin tartness and another tiny wisp of cherry sweetness.
Absolutely excellent.

Full bodied with a mild-to-medium level of natural carbonation. It's like crushed velvet sliding over your tongue. Smooth, with a nice amount of creaminess.

The fact that the sweetness is kept in check, helps this one out alot. Combine that nice balance with the low 5.10%abv and you've got a nicely drinkable brew here.
This was worth the wait and will be worth the effort to track down another.

02-04-2010 22:10:31 | More by coldmeat23
ckeegan04

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Very murky dark red, verging on a more ruddy brown. Khaki colored head that is a solid three fingers thick. Very good retention and excellent lacing left behind.

S - Big surprise here, lots of fresh pressed cherries in the nose. A touch of sour cherry candy aroma as well. No artificial sweetness to it though which puts it well above most other fruit beers I have tried. Just an all around excellent smelling beer.

T - Just straight forward sweet cherries with a touch of sourness underneath. Not much else going on at all. Very very sweet which is to be expected.

M/D - The feel is medium to full with a slick syrupy feel left behind. The strong sweetness brings the drinkability down a notch and I certainly wish I had one or two people to share it with. I would still take Raspberry Tart over this one, but this is one of the best fruit beers I have had.

02-01-2010 15:48:55 | More by ckeegan04
NorthsideFred

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

I usually don't like fruity beers, but this is in the top 100, so I wanted to try it. I made a trek to Wisconsin this weekend, and it was worth it!. I think most of New Glarus' offerings are overrated...but not this. What a wonderful surprise! It deserves all the praise it gets.

A: Pours a ruby red with a half-inch white head.

S: Cherry Cherry Cherry.

T: I swear they melted down cherry Lifesavers and made a beer out of them!

M: Smooth. Medium body, with many tiny bubbles.

D: Very drinkable. Like champagne with cherry juice stirred in.

Now I may have to try the Raspberry brew!

02-01-2010 02:57:37 | More by NorthsideFred
drabmuh

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Kind of a cute beer. I really enjoyed it, a lot. Beer poured from a bottle into a becher glass. Beer is red and clear. White head but really thin, carbonation moderate and of small bubbles. Lacing is really high. Looks good.

Aroma is sweet and tart, smells like cherries.

This is an easy drinking beer. Its sweet and has a good fruit flavor to it. Carbonation sours the beer a little but it just serves to bring out the fruit flavor more. Drinkability high mouthfeel good.

Resampled February 8, 2010:

Beer is poured into a snifter glass. Beer is dark red and hazy. Froms a thin white head that leaves lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate.

Aroma is much stronger than I remember, very cherry, almost like cherry candy jolly ranchers.

Lots of carbonation on the tongue, great sour / tartness. I seriously love this beer.

Its less like beer and more like cherry soda.

01-26-2010 17:35:17 | More by drabmuh