Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,033
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a deep cranberry color--clear, bright, and effervescence in the light. Has a 1/2 inch head that falls almost immediately and disappears, leaving no cling on the sides of the champagne flute. The bouquet is cherries all the way, with just very subtle grape coming across. Very pleasing nose. The cherries announce themselves loud and clear at first taste--both sweet and tart. Much more subdued wheat cracker, hop zest, muddling spice notes, and blood orange are also present. The flavors really burst throughout the beer's life on the palate, with quite a bit of carbonation helping out. Aside from the carbonation, the feel is medium bodied and surprisingly light despite the "heaviness" of the flavor. Crisp and clean-finishing.

This is a really outstanding fruit beer from every angle. It walks a fine line between beer and wine, and it walks it very well. New Glarus has a real command of brewing fruit beers, and this is one of the shining examples of that expertise. Pairs great with a lot of foods, especially rich cheeses. Not to be missed.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to Alexander and Masterski for the bottles. Much appreciated

A-- Poured a lighter shade of black cherry. thought it was a brown ale at first. Very clear and very little head, what head was there was white at at best film only.

S-- Cherry soda. Plain and simple. Great nose. Cherries and brown sugar. Ripe and fresh. Very tart nose with this. Has my mouth watering already.

T-- Black cherry, cherry jam, candied cherry. More cherry than you can throw a stick at. Highly carbonated and closer to soda than beer.

M-- Literally like drinking cherry pie. Get brown sugar, bread, cherries (duh) and a lot of tartness in the finish. Oak is there but reserved and soft. helps contrast the cherries and adds dimension to this. A whole lot of acid with this. high carbonation and light feel. Very nice.

O-- Reminds me of the Thorogoods Apple beers but with the ABV toned down, drinkability higher, and obviously being cherry. Closer to sparkling apple cider in the fruitiness of this and the drinkability of it. Stunning beer for summer.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

750ml bottle into Portsmouth snifter. I apologize for not writing down who sent me this but I do that you for the trade.

A: Pours a dark woody-cranberry with a thin dark white head that fizzed away rather quickly into a faint collar leaving no lace.
S: As expected, the smell is consumed by rich dark cherries, sweet cherry syrup, and musty cherry pits and skins. There is a touch of musty oak as well. Very delicious and inviting.
T: Follows the nose with a big fresh cherry flavor. There is nothing synthetic tasting about this beer. The cherry taste is sweet, lightly tart, and most importantly, tastes like I’m eating an actual cherry. Just like the nose, the oak barrel and cherry skins translate into a nice woody, musty flavor that adds depth and counteracts the sweetness from the cherries. I also pick up a note or two of brown sugar and dried prunes.
M: Feels like soda in my mouth with very fizzy carbonation, medium body and drying finish. Pretty bubbly.
O: One of the more complex and well-rounded fruit beers I’ve consumed. I enjoyed putting away this whole bottle.

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

A- Pours a great ruby. A nice light pink/whitish head forms, but recedes quickly. A little lacing but not as much as I would aspect.

S- Very strong on the cherries. That's the overwhelming profile is slightly tart cherries. I get a slight malt flavor but this beer is designed to showcase the cherries and it does a great job.

T- I love the taste of this beer. No matter how many times I drink it, I always want more. The cherries shine through but in a balanced why so the sweetness is tempered and it's just a perfect complex cherry taste. Every time I drink it, I get new notes out of it. Very fresh with a nice tartness. Absolutely my favorite dessert beer.

M- Medium bodied with a good carbonation. Very delicate on the palate with a little stickiness but very full bodied.

O- Very outstanding! Easily one of my favorite beers. The beer is so unique and so well done that I sometimes am stunned that a cherry beer could be this delicate, fresh, and such a fun drinking experience.

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to ThomasHardy for this 750ml bottle, poured into a LaChouffe tulip. The massive cherry pie aroma more than makes up for the pedestrian appearance. Just the right level of carbonation to keep the rather oily body from becoming too sticky. Multiple layers of cherry deliciousness. Light biscuity malt and light caramel sweetness bring crust to mind; you might as well be drinking cherry pie. Quite a treat on its own, and fun to blend with a nice stout as well.

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow! Big thanks to TATURBO for this beautiful beer. The beer was perfect for the holiday weekend! This brew pours out as a nice looking brownish red color. The smell was of fresh cherry juice and a little bit of malt. The taste was wonderful, the cherries were sweet and just a little tart on the back end. Really well done flavor. The mouthfeel was nice, smooth and dry not a lot of carbonation. Overall the I found this beer to be damn near perfect, it's leaves a great impression on me and I'm very excited to try more from this brewery.

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

750...mine poured into a pint glass, my lady's poured into a Mason jar! (Thats all she had for glassware at her place)

A - Beautiful ruby color with a nice finger+ worth of redish white foam on top. Nice retention and lacing on it.

S - Not surprisingly, cherries and some grainy backbone. Smells absolutely delicious.

T - Wow, amazingly good with the cherry the huge star of course. Not real tart either. And the grains add just the right backing to this. Just outstanding.

M - I'd call it light-medium bodied, decent carbonation. Ultra-smooth and drinkable.

O - My girl LOVED this one. She was reluctant to even try it but boy did she rave. Me, I loved it as well. I am NOT a fruit beer guy but this one is just exceptional. I could drink this all summer long

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Very red with a finger of off white head that leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet and fruity, natural somewhat tart cherry.

Taste: Sweet and natural cherry, like carbonated cherry juice. Mildly sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with mild carbonation and a slick finish.

Overall: A very nice fruit beer, like this slightly more than the raspberry. Surprisingly, not too sweet.

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

A- Pours a clear, ruby red with a small white head. Good lacing and head retention.

S- Cherries, hints of vanilla?

T- More cherries...fresh and above all else, real. Tart. Dare I say orgasmic?

M- Dances on the tongue like its sister Raspberry Tart.

D/O- I've had many a beers in my day but this remains one of the best beers I've ever had. Light and fruity, its an easy drinker although I find myself taking small sips just to savor. The epitome of "world class".

3.48/5  rDev -20.5%

This beer is a great example of a brewery reflecting their local suroundings in the beer that they brew. The appearance is ruby red, with a one finger head and good lacing. The nose is CHERRY with a little oak and almond. The flavor is great at first.... but am I alone by saying that this is Slushy sweet? I mean It's well done and maybe I should have shared the 750 ML with 8 people instead of one. It would be good in a 6 oz glass and I respect the craftsmanship but too much for me. Good Day.

A- pours a nice bright red, head settles quickly and is very bubbly.

S- strong cherries come through, it's a bit medicinal, but just barely.

T- Pure cherry here in the taste, nice flavor, it's on the sweeter side for sure. No medicinal presence in the taste.

M- This was nicely carbonated, light bodied, refreshing.

O- I thought this was well crafted, while I didn't think it was a stand-out for me, it was quite good. I prefer the raspberry tarts flavor profile, but this one had better carbonation.

3.9/5  rDev -11%

Poured into my Founders snifter.

A: Pours a great ruby with pinkish hues around the edges when held up to the light. A nice light pink head forms with a vigorous pour, about 1.5 finger but recedes quickly. No real lace to speak of but a nice ring follows the brew down the glass.

S: Candied cherries up front with a slight tartness. Has a slight medicinal smell but in a good way. Has some hops to it that peak in around the cherrys and nice barley to smooth it out.

T: Hello cherries, so nice to finally meet you! The cherries are extremely sweet and candied in nature, almost like a cherry lollipop. The taste transforms into slight bitterness at the end, but it's very mild.

M: Medium bodied with a great carbonation. Coats the palate with a thinly veiled sweet cherry. A little sticky.

O: I normally do not like fruit beers or sweet tasting beers, but this guy really struck a chord with me. I wouldn't be able to drink it on a regular basis, but it was nice to have after a good dinner. I'm interested to see how the raspberry tart I've got in the fridge compares.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

A: A bit hazy and purplish/red; no real head or lacing unless really forced with vigorous swirling

S: Cherry candy up front: jolly rancher, kool-aid, bubble gum; this smells so sweet with SO MUCH cherries; a bit tart and maybe a touch of a biscuity base but mostly just sweet cherry candy

T: Sweet but not cloyingly so, which I attribute to the pleasant tartness that balances this beer out; loads and loads of cherry of course; this really is tasty but man it doesn't taste like beer, so much tart cherries with even a touch of alcohol in the end; a bit dry of a finish with a touch of a medicinal finish as well

F: Good, decent mouth feel--this beer sticks to the roof of the mouth nicely

O: This is a good, interesting beer; I am not sure I would drink a ton and as it warms it gets a touch on the medicinal side but I still like it

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Pours a gorgeous ruby red with a half finger off white head. Minimal lacing.

Smells vibrant. Sweet cherries abound. A hint of tartness in Terry somewhere.

Taste is wonderfully refreshing. Obviously, the cherries are front and center. Slight earthy tones and a sharp, yet abbreviated tartness round out the finish.

Mouth is medium with bright carbonation. Coats nicely and fits the flavor profile spot on.

Overall, this is the epitome of a fruit beer. Well balanced, vibrant, and beautiful. I can only hope other American breweres are taking notes.

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

Transcribed from undated notes, likely early-2010.

This bottle dated back to Summer 2004, I believe. The pour was lacking any sort of discernible head. Color was a deep red with a slight cloudiness. Nose was like standing in a cherry orchard in the summer and taking a deep breath. I was transported back to the days of my late grandmother's lattice-top cherry pies or making preserves in the early fall. I had some cherry preserves from Traverse City, MI while I was stationed on Diego Garcia that were intense, but this beer ... Holy Cherry, Batman! This left no room for survivors. To say dry would be an understatement. Arid! And cherry! Breathtaking! Mind blowing! Forget other mind-altering substances and put some of this in your peace pipe and smoke it.

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into an Ithaca Excelsior Tulip glass. Many thanks to beerwolf77 for the hook up on a beer that I've been wanting to try for a long time.

A: Beautiful crystal clear deep maroon/red color. Aggressive pour leads to a fluffy 3 finger head that disappears mighty quickly to a tiny ring. No lacing to speak of. Lots of tiny bubbles.

S: Sweet cherries, a bit like the Luden's cherry cough drops but man, is this a sweet smelling beer without having a heavy syrup smell.

T: Holy wow. Nothing that hasn't been said before but this is like drinking a sparkling cherry fruit juice with little beer-like qualities to speak of. It has full cherry flavor with tart on the back end.

M: Highly carbonated, light body, doesn't leave as sticky of a mouth as I would have expected which must be really tough to achieve from a brewing standpoint.

O: What a "beer". I'm really glad I was able to try this but I'm really sad that it's not available where I live. This is a great beer on a hot day and a great beer pretty much any time. Bravo New Glarus. Bravo.

3.98/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 1pt. 9 oz bottle. Pours with a quickly dissipating pinkish white head, that leaves behind next to nothing in terms of lacing. Beer is a pleasing, hazy brownish red color. Smell is dominated by tart cherries, with maltiness lurking in the backround. Taste is also dominated by cherries, with maltiness still lurking in the background. Mouthfeel is quite nice and tight with decent carbonation. Overall, though it's not a beer I would drink quite often, today is the hottest day in Chicago in five years, and this beer is incredibly refreshing and is really hitting the spot.

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

A-dark brown with a maroon tint and has a good cream colored head than thins

S-faint dark belgian malts with a nice hint of cherry

T-comes in with a nice spiced cherry flavor. the cinnamon and cherry last awhile before transitioning to an after-taste of a good cherry yogurt. it also reminds me of a good cherry pie. this is fairly tasty.

M-creamy medium carbonation with a dry finish

O-this is definitely more complex and better balanced than its raspberry brother. its definitely sweet, but not overly sweet that it sticks to your mouth like many sweet beers. i could actually drink this all night. this is much more sophisticated than any other fruit beer i've had.

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

I love this beer, despite it being almost more of a cherry cider than a beer. This beer is all about the cherry, although the base beer must be solid to build the cherry goliath on top of. The cherry aroma, taste, sourness, and sweetness are all there, so intense it borders on medicinal but it is NOT, it's a natural/real cherry taste that is so enjoyable and refreshing. I could guzzle this stuff by the gallon and never tire of it, can't think of a negative except maybe there are more complex beers out there. I wish they made a sour variant of this, but they should never change this beer, it is exceptional on its own and for what it is; a cherry beer.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

This bottle pours a deep red with a pink head. The smell of the cherries is really potent and nice. The taste is like cherries with a bit of candy in it. Alcohol is undectectable. I don't really like "fruit" beers but this is a nice take on it that you can have for dessert or share with women.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appears clear ruby read with a foamy white head that dissipates quickly.

There is a strong aroma of sweet yet tart pie cherries. It is like smelling the filling of a natural homemade cherry pie. I also get a slight bit of an oak smell as well.

It tastes of amazing fresh tart yet sweet cherries. I get a nice earthy sweetness. There is a bit of an oak flavor. Sweet great cherries are the star of this beer. The balance between the sweetness and tartness of the cherries is fantastic.

There is a thin and crisp mouthfeel.

Overall an amazing refreshing sweet yet tart fruit beer. One of the best beers I have had recently. I could drink this beer all day.

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

Holy cats, this beer is just phenomenal.

It looks like melted rubies. Seriously, liquid rubies, were that possible. It actually smells better than actual cherries. I am not sure how they did that, but I swear, they have a deal with satan to make something that smells better than cherries (which already smell hilariously good...like a 3rd grade crush). It tastes pretty much like it smells and feels so nice going down. It has a really soft step and I could easily drink two or three 750s without impairing my ability to bowl.

If I had but one wish it would be that New Glarus somehow made this more sour. It would be my favorite beer in the world. God bles you, New Glarus.

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Sampled at Hellbilly’s Hellraiser courtesy of Hellbilly via Bockyhorsey!!! "I can not tell a lie," this was like George Washington placing his right hand on the trunk and left hand on the branches of a cherry tree...and ringing it out like a towel just above my glass. INCREDIBLE!!! Pours a soft red with small rose foam. Washington cherry blossoms and freshly baked pie tease the nose. The flavor combines buttery flaky crust, sweet ripened fruit, and cherry tartness. This beer is distinguished, legendary, and should be celebrated!!!

3.68/5  rDev -16%

Pors clear deep red with minimal head.

Initial aroma is intense tart cherry. The smell of real cherries is nice. Hints of candy sweetness mix in with the tartness. Pretty simple, but good.

Taste is tart cherry up front, giving way to a slightly medicinal taste too often found with cherry flavors. Again, not complex, but simple and good.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean with minimal aftertaste.

Overall I wanted to like this more. It is pretty tasty, except for the slight medicinal notes, but this is something I wouldn't want too much of.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

A- pours a really nice looking red with a two finger light pink head. Tons of bubbles everywhere. Looks awesome

S- cherries, cherries, and more cherries. Comes off more sweet than tart...really nice.

T- sweet cherries, and it is absolutely beautiful. Tastes like Kool-Aid, but not nearly as cloyingly sweet. This is AWESOME

M- it actually has a tad bit of body too it, but not too much. It's not watery at all. Pleasantly surprised

D- I thought the Raspberry Tart was good. This is better. Amazing beer, I will be looking for this again!

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company