Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,014
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros

A great gift from my girlfriend, who recently visited this fine established while she was visiting her family in Wisconsin. Poured at 51 degrees into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Poured with a slightly creamy, but mostly white colored head and mild lacing. The body of the beer is quite murky and exhibits a mix of bright and dark cherry hues.

S: The aroma is similar to cherry syrup, perhaps something you would find in a mixed drink or even a Roy Rogers. A slight medicinal quality is noticeable as well, which may thin out the smell at times.

T: The taste totally reminds me of a frosted cherry turnover, but in liquid form! The sugar flavor is extremely sweet, but not in the granular sense, more vanilla-like...without the vanilla flavor of course.

M: An ample amount of carbonation that lightens up this medium-body beer; the right feel for the style.

D: I have to admit this beer was difficult to guzzle down at times, especially the second half, but it's unique flavor profile is really what made this beer stand out compared to other fruit lambics.

Overall: Not the most balanced beer (to say the least), but again...the flavor profile is out of this world. I highly recommend acquiring a bottle or two. Man, am I glad my girlfriend brought me back two of these bad boys! Cheers!

OlieIPA, Feb 13, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees

This pours a slightly muddled cherry pink color. The one-finger head of loose foam is cotton-candy pink. It recedes to a spotty, filmy, surface covering. The lacing is spotty, but plentiful, and nicely sticky.

Cherries.
Cherry juice. Maraschino cherries. Ludens cherry cough drops. Cherry lifesavers. Cherry skins.
This nose is all about the cherries. I could sit and sniff this one for hours, I think.

Sweet cherry nectar hits your tongue like sex in your mouth. Damn, that's delicious. Then it spreads out into your mouth and you get the taste of perfectly ripened cherry flesh. Sweet, succulent and full. It finishes with a light ouch of cherry skin tartness and another tiny wisp of cherry sweetness.
Absolutely excellent.

Full bodied with a mild-to-medium level of natural carbonation. It's like crushed velvet sliding over your tongue. Smooth, with a nice amount of creaminess.

The fact that the sweetness is kept in check, helps this one out alot. Combine that nice balance with the low 5.10%abv and you've got a nicely drinkable brew here.
This was worth the wait and will be worth the effort to track down another.

coldmeat23, Feb 04, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Very murky dark red, verging on a more ruddy brown. Khaki colored head that is a solid three fingers thick. Very good retention and excellent lacing left behind.

S - Big surprise here, lots of fresh pressed cherries in the nose. A touch of sour cherry candy aroma as well. No artificial sweetness to it though which puts it well above most other fruit beers I have tried. Just an all around excellent smelling beer.

T - Just straight forward sweet cherries with a touch of sourness underneath. Not much else going on at all. Very very sweet which is to be expected.

M/D - The feel is medium to full with a slick syrupy feel left behind. The strong sweetness brings the drinkability down a notch and I certainly wish I had one or two people to share it with. I would still take Raspberry Tart over this one, but this is one of the best fruit beers I have had.

ckeegan04, Feb 01, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

I usually don't like fruity beers, but this is in the top 100, so I wanted to try it. I made a trek to Wisconsin this weekend, and it was worth it!. I think most of New Glarus' offerings are overrated...but not this. What a wonderful surprise! It deserves all the praise it gets.

A: Pours a ruby red with a half-inch white head.

S: Cherry Cherry Cherry.

T: I swear they melted down cherry Lifesavers and made a beer out of them!

M: Smooth. Medium body, with many tiny bubbles.

D: Very drinkable. Like champagne with cherry juice stirred in.

Now I may have to try the Raspberry brew!

NorthsideFred, Feb 01, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Kind of a cute beer. I really enjoyed it, a lot. Beer poured from a bottle into a becher glass. Beer is red and clear. White head but really thin, carbonation moderate and of small bubbles. Lacing is really high. Looks good.

Aroma is sweet and tart, smells like cherries.

This is an easy drinking beer. Its sweet and has a good fruit flavor to it. Carbonation sours the beer a little but it just serves to bring out the fruit flavor more. Drinkability high mouthfeel good.

Resampled February 8, 2010:

Beer is poured into a snifter glass. Beer is dark red and hazy. Froms a thin white head that leaves lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate.

Aroma is much stronger than I remember, very cherry, almost like cherry candy jolly ranchers.

Lots of carbonation on the tongue, great sour / tartness. I seriously love this beer.

Its less like beer and more like cherry soda.

drabmuh, Jan 26, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into Bruery Snifter

Poirus 1/2 finger of pink hued creamy white head. Fades t a ring and has good retention. Leaves some nice lace walls. Color is a hazed raspberry hued brown. Very nice looking.

Aroma: The cherries are amazing. Some yeast, but mainly fruity. It is mainly tart and filled with fruits. Very fresh. It is pretty solid. Wow. The cherries are so amazing.

Taste: Fresh cherries (along with some other fruit flavors). I get some yeast here, but not a lot. A nice malt backbone. This beer is fresh and the fruit is amazing. It doesn't have a lot of flavors, but this beer is drinking great.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and refreshing. Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Ends a little dry and fruity, somewhat clean.

Overall, this beer is fantastic. I have had it multiple times and it always delivers. It is just so amazing. This is a beer I love to have access to. Very drinkable and it packs a huge fresh flavor.

mothman, Jan 23, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -32.6%

I had this beer to celebrate my brother moving into his new house and I was anticipating this to be the greatest beer ever. When i saw the beer It wasnt the most impressive beer i have ever seen, but i felt that when you make a cherry beer it would look like this, in that aspect the brewer had gotten exactley what they wanted. The smell was wonderful. When you are making a cherry beer you should smell Cherrys and nothing but. That is exactly what i smelled. The taste hit me as medicinal. I dont like to ever speak bad of beers but i could not shake the fact that it tasted like cough medicine. The mouthfeel was an exception to the taste. The beer seemed to be perfectly carbonated and didnt give me any reason to review it as bad. The drinkability of this beer was not good FOR ME. I emphasize for me because I know that there are people that could drink this like crazy but i am more of a beer guy and never drink wine. I feel bad to ever give out a bad review but to me this beer was like a fine painting that would never look good in my house but I can thoroughly appreciate the effort and time put into it.

leakyfaucet12, Jan 20, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Bright, deep ruby. Small white-pink head. Sparkly bubbles that meander toward the surface.

S: Cherries. Cherries and more cherries. Amazingly tart but incredibly sweet aroma. Fresh picked ripe cherries and my Grandma's awesome warm cherry pie.

T: Reminds me of my favorite snack-- dried tart Montmorency cherries from Door County, WI. Same exact flavor as the actual thing. Sweet and light with awesome flavor. Can't say "Cherries" enough.

M: Smooth and velvety with mild carbonation. Not much else is noticeable past the incredible flavor of this beer.

D: Like juice. This is so appealing to me that I could drink it for breakfast. Just tart enough that the sweetness does not dominate at makes this the perfect fruit beer.

LittleBug31, Jan 17, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Many thanks to BeerFMAndy for this one.

Pour into my corsendonk glass, this beer pours a bright ruby red color with an amber overtone. Head retention is fair, with no more then minimal lacing. As for the nose on this beer, my initial reaction was not very positive. This beer has very sweet, distinctly hawaiin punch aroma, along with considerable sweet cheery. However, as the beer warmed, I started to get some vanilla, cinnamon, and even light funk. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose, except there was something of a sour cherry flavor in the finish that helped to cut some of the sweetneess in this beer. The sour component also tended to enhance this beer's drinkability, and I enjoyed it more and more as I went along. Mouthfeel is medium bodied in this beer, with some pleasant prickliness from the good carbonation.

This is a very interesting beer, and it reminds me very much of some fruit infused lambics I've tried (would be interested in trying this beer side by side with Lindeman's cherry lambic). However, the intensity of flavor in this beer really impressed me, and sets it apart from most Belgian fruit lambics I've tried. Good stuff!

John_M, Jan 11, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a flute.

Pours a hazy brownish red with a short lived earthen tone head. The aroma is juicy tart cherries. The taste is tart cherries upfront with a sweet and slightly bitter finish. Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. Easy drinking, but well suited for sharing due to the tartness.

An excellent brew and a definite must try!

srroos, Jan 11, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

The beer pours a rosy red color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is outstanding! It has a killer cherry scent that's so tart and refreshing. I love sour cherries in beer. This is very much like the aroma of Lindeman's Kriek. The taste is perfect! It captures the essence of what a fruit beer can and should be. It's bold and refreshing with tons of tart fruit character. The mouthfeel is perfect as well. It's medium bodied with good carbonation. This and their Raspberry tart are by leaps and bounds the best fruit beers on the planet. I only wish it wasn't so hard to get my hands on them. Thanks to Tim and Mary Anderson for the opportunity to try these.

WesWes, Jan 08, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into New Glarus flute glass.

A: pours a slightly hazy deep red with a bone white head, lots of lacing

S: smell is filled with wonderful cherry aromas. I can smell some sweet candied red cherries up front followed by some tartness. The fruit is the dominating aroma, but it is incredibly pleasant.

T: The taste is a lot like the nose but even more prominent. The cherry flavors are so bright and fresh, its like the flavor is popping in your mouth. The sweet cherries are on the front again followed by a pronounced tartness with some dark cherry flavors on the finish. The cherries are take center stage in this beer and they shine!

MF: a bit bubbly, high carbonation, thin body

D: each sip keeps you coming back for more, this beer is expertly balanced between sweet and tart and is the best fruit beer I have ever tried. The abv is undetectable and the drinkability is through the roof

homebrew311, Jan 08, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

Got this as an extra some time ago from Youbrewidrink! Thanks

A: Murky red almost mahogany in color with a pinkish off white head that fluffs up on top. Not much in terms of lacing, and not much transparency. Head retention is perfect as a quarter inch layer sits throughout the time i drank it

S: The cherries are very prominent in the nose and it reminds me slightly of either a shirley temple or a cherry dr. pepper.

T: It also tastes slightly like a cherry doctor pepper or shirley temple. It also reminds me a bit of a cherry wine spritzer or a cocktail of some sort. Very fruity and unlike another beer i have had before

M: The body and richness of this is actually very good and enjoyable. No acidity and very mild.

D: I dont think I would be able to have more than a glass of this becaus it does get to be a little bit on the sweet side and i typically like my fruit beers to be sour

mikey711, Jan 07, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Pours a deep reddish brown with a creamy froth with pinkish tones.

S: Wow, the cherries hit me upon opening the bottle and continue to dominate the nose. Very tart and a tiny bit of fink. Lovely.

T: More tart cherries. Very sweet complimented with a little sourness.

M: Thick and syrupy with loads of carbonation. Reminds me of a flavored soda.

D: Very enjoyable, but certainly only one in a sitting and it should be shared. I will certainly be enjoying more of these in the future.

Popkas, Jan 07, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

Pours reddish-orange with a white head. Aroma is unmistakable, lots of sugar, cherries and something that reminds me of red wine. The flavor is more cherries, with a ton of sweetness. This tastes like cherry filling inside of a fried pie. Mouthfeel is syrupy and carbonation is medium-low. Easily the best fruit beer I have ever sampled.

Mora2000, Jan 03, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Surprised that I have not rated this one to-date and since I just split a bottle tonight watching college football, why not rate it now.

A - Poured from the wax topped bottle into my waiting New Glarus flutes, supplied by one of the best cheeseheads I know and have the pleasure of trading with, wisconsinbeer1. Pours a beautiful garnet red with a fizzy white fluff that quickly settles down.

S - Tart cherries and cherry pie. Beautiful!

T - Tart cherries and cherry pie. Not overly sweet as it has a slight tart sensation with subtle oak accents from sitting in the barrels for a period of time. Really a sensational taste.

M - Highly carbonated and thin but not a problem.

D - Really good but you have to remind yourself that you are drinking a beer. Really, it is a cross of beer and wine.

One of the really great fruit beers that is always a pleasure to have. Regularly supplied by maximum12 and wisconsinbeer1 so I don't know who to thank for this particular bottle. I guess I'll just have to thank you both.

Get this one and make yourself popular.

Beerisheaven, Dec 31, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from Bottle into Flute glass.

Pours a brilliant, bright red color with a couple fingers of pink colored head that dissolves into a thin ring around the glass. This beer actually does have a cherry like appearance. Fantastic. The aroma is strictly tart fresh cherries. The flavor is the same, straight up cherry juice with a little lambic flair. Its light-medium bodied with a prickly amount of carbonation and finishes dry. The simplicity of the aroma and the flavor is what makes this an amazing beer. Another top-notch fruit beer from New Glarus.

DiabolikDUB, Dec 26, 2009
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Wow what a sweet syrupy beer.. If you want to know what this taste like get a Hostess Cherry fruit pie and eat the filling puree inside of it and well you get the picture. This is without a doubt a desert beer and would be awesome for any after dinner treat..Worth the effort!..recommend

hrking, Dec 25, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -13.2%

My wife and I had this alongside with the Raspberry Tart.

It is a reddish brown in my glass with sticky lacing and some red/pinkness as I swirl my glass. Almost reminds me of apple cider with cherries.

Oh lord - this is a cherry bomb. Cherries and cherries dominate. There's a sour tartness and very fruity taste to it. I don't really get a sense of other flavors but that's because it's supposed to be cherries.

Had this out of the bottle on Friday night, celebrating the finishing of college. Thanks erocks for the trade, much appreciated! The carbonation is very present and the mouthfeel is a bit sticky and thick. It's a good beer but I'd pair this up with something sweet for food so it feels balanced.

We preferred this beer over the Raspberry Tart which seemed a bit dryer when swallowing.

MysterySwirl, Dec 25, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Eye: Murky red going brown in the glass. No head formation or retention. Still looks good though in the glass.

Nose: Strong sour cherry aroma. Very nice. Not cloyingly sweet smelling like many beers that use cherry or other fruits. Its not just cherry either, its like I get the entire cherry, from the fruit itself to the stem to the pit and even almost to the tree.

Tongue: Slightly tart and sour, big cherry tones with some soda-like qualities. This kinda reminds me of what a fermented cherry wine would taste like but less forward with the cherry, less alcohol, presence of carbonation, and a touch of sweetness with more acidity than a fruit wine. Some oaky tones come through as well. Not sour or tart or sticky sweet as many of the bigger named and more popular fruit lambics.

Feel and Drinkability: Spritzy and fine carbonation, almost like it burns, it attacks the palate and fills the mouth in a most pleasing way....but not like soda and yet it doesn't interfere with the beer's flavor. Body is a bit heavier than I expected, medium in body going toward heavy. Very champagne like. This is one that I'd regularly celebrate with if only I could get my hands on it.

becktone, Dec 25, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: Hazy red-pink with a pinkish head and lacing that is sticky and wavy. Looks unlike much other beer I've ever had, and I really fail to see where the beer is in the appearance, but it still looks quite nice.

Smell: Very, very cherry. Sweet, sour, puckering cherry. Sugars still seem pretty present, and quite heavy in the fruity aroma. Wow, no hop presence nor any real maltiness, either, just fresh, flavorful cherries.

Taste: Identical to the smell, except more soda-like than beer. If I had not known better, I'd swear this is a cherry soda with no alcohol and certainly no hops. They just aren't there. Sour but not over-the-top, very sweet, and highly intense cherry flavors. I know this is the style, but man this is a very sweet beer, and it's tough to remember that it is, indeed, beer.

Mouthfeel: A little too syrupy for my liking, but also effervescently carbonated, a little too much so. It was like carbonated cherry syrup, which made it feel more soda-like once again. It could actually be a little scaled back and probably still be okay, but still, the sourness covers a lot of ground and makes up for a lot of that by giving a distinct and memorable mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Not excellent, for me anyway. Too sweet to really be consumer en masse, but not bad, either. Paired with the right dessert, I'm sure it's exquisite, and with the right lady, I'm sure it's even more so. An experience for sure, and worth trying.

nomomentwasted, Dec 14, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Enjoying this while listening to the Brewing Network on a rainy Sunday night.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Hennepin tulip cloudy and deep crimson amber in color. A small white head forms on top and shrinks immediately to a tiny collar with a few straggling patches.

SMELL: Sweet cherry with a hint of tartness and a trace of cough syrupy bitterness. Not a whole lot of base beer getting through, but that's ok since this cherry aroma is so nice.

TASTE: The cherry stays sweet and soda-like the entire time, but here in the taste the base beer is allowed to come through a bit. It's slight caramelly with maybe even a hint of chocolate. It's hard to believe this a beer, but it is. And it's delicious.

MOUTHFEEL: Slightly slick and syrupy with a medium body. Carbonation is on the lower side of average.

DRINKABILITY: It's delicious and I'll gladly finish the bottle, but it really is pretty sweet. This should last me the better part of the night though, and for that I'm grateful.

A shining beacon for fruit beers in an sea of otherwise extract-laden crap. I don't know how they do these, but the beer world would be a better place if more people knew.

jmalex, Dec 14, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Standard pour yields a 2 finger coarse whitish-pink, fluffy head with moderate retention.Brew is semi-clear red. Lacig is spotty and stringy.

S: Nose is overwhelming, musty candied cherry juice. Very clean and pronounced.

T: Opens a musky, subdued earthy cherry. Mild cinnamon brown sugar, slightly tart, and quite sweet throughout. Some other type of red fruit syrup is apparent towards the end. Finishes with cherry tartness that lingers long after the beer does.

M: Medium bodied and very smooth. Rather silky for the style with a clean, watery finish that almost stains the inside of the mouth.

D: Fuller bodied than most other fruit beers which really works here. A bit more complex and the silkiness ties all the flavors together. Deserving of the hype in its style.

SpeedwayJim, Dec 13, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip, thanks to alcstradamus for sending this to me for FREE!

Pours a bright yet dirty red with a small one finger head that quickly dissipates. Little to no lacing as the beer is drank.

Smells likes cherries with a hint of Belgian tart/sour/funk, and an even less present smell of oak.

Taste was fresh, real cherries with a bit of tartness to it. The oak could barely be tasted.

Mouthfeel was good. Spritzy and light with some stickyness to it due to the sugars.

Drinkability is very good on this one. Refreshing, low ABV and great flavor. Yum!

A great beer, one that I hope to have again. New Glarus definitely has their ducks in a row when it comes to these fruity tart beers!

auroracrisis, Dec 13, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured with a reddish hue which was expected given the amount of cherries added.

Poured with a white, fine head that tended to settle quickly.

Strong cherry aroma immediately and dominated the odor. Slight hint of tartness or sour behind the cherries was evident and pleasant.

Sweet, cherry, effervescent beer that was quite refreshing. Beer is light on sour/tartness and tends to lean more towards a sweet, dry finish.

Medium body, high level of carbonation.

Great beer that I look forward to enjoying again.

beefnbarley, Dec 12, 2009