Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,014
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Poured a nice ruby red color with good carbonation and a nice white head

S: Cherry, some sweet, some tart but mainly tart cherry

T: As we talked about while drinking this cherry Luden cought drops, light tart and sweet cherry exchanging blows

M: Smooth feel, well carbonated and little booze

D: Great beer and representation of the style.

barleywinefiend, May 31, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured at a recent BA tasting event. Someone said that these NG beers are what you give to people who say they don't like beer as a way to convert them and I can easily see that. This pours a hazy auburn and smells overwhelmingly like maraschino cherries. The taste is like drinking a cherry dum-dum pop. Very sweet. Light on the tongue but the sweetness for me was overwhelming and I didn't want any more than about 2oz of it. Warrant would love this beer.

squaremile, May 31, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

I poured from a 750 ml bottle into 2 snifters. It pours a fizzy, quava color, with lots of white head and lacing. The smell is pure cherries. At first the cherry flavor is a bit much, and overly sweet. But by the second sip the cherry flavor really comes through making it very refreshing. The beer is highly carbonated, light in body and very wine like. For me this is more of a sipper. The best fruit beer I have ever had, IMO a must try for any BA.

bonkers, May 23, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -49.8%

750 ml bottle poured into my lambic glass.

A- Body is beautiful. Its a nearly transparent, rich, dark, gem-like, cherry hue. Pours with a 1-2 finger foamy pink head. Head retains well at about 1/2 finger and leaves plenty of lacing down the glass.

S- Ripe cherry. Like when you open a jar of cherries soaked in cherry juice. Very rich. Cherry pits, cherry tartness, cherry sweetness. Not artificial whatsoever.

T- Taste is similar to the smell. Its very cherry all the way through. A hint more tart than sweet but there is a slight cherry pit woodiness to it as well. Taste is pretty consistent the whole way through and the flavor lingers for a while.

M- Low to medium carbonation with a rich, thick, and sticky mouthfeel.

D- In short I didn't really like this beer at all. I drank one lambic glass full and gave the rest away-which is easy because this is a very popular beer. To me it gave the impression of cough syrup without the medicinal aspect (which would have been an improvement...IMO). I really respect that this beer is all cherry without being artificial...which is why I am trying not to slam it too much...but this brew is just not for me.

PittBeerGirl, May 21, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. Pours a hazy, reddish-cranberry color with a small frothy off-white/pink head, good lacing. Aroma is cherries mostly with a hint of caramel malt. Flavor is sour cherries, a hint of oak, and some wine/grape flavors. Mouthfeel is medium, sour and a fairly active carbonation. Very drinkable beer.

mtstatebeer, May 21, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Is this pop? I swear I used to drink this cherry soda when I was a kid. This smelled so sweet and looked so much like a wine cooler, I thought I was going to be disappointed. Disappointed? Not with this one!

Bomber into New Glarus glass. The bottle recommended a tulip or flute, but I thought the branded glass would do just fine.

A - Red wine color with a light head... for soda.
S - Big blast of montmorency cherries. Really strong with this one. I made my wife smell it (the beer) and she said "Wow, that's stong!"
T - Really great tasting sweet/tart fruit beer.
M - I hope all the sugar in this soda doesn't rot my teeth :) Felt like a fizzy wine in the mouth... but in a good way.
D - Could drink another bottle or three of this.

Overall thoughts are I can't believe I passed this bottle up so many times. I will be in WI again this week and will definitely be on the lookout for another bottle. This may be a good gateway beer for the right person. Great alternative to someone who likes wine coolers.

copyguyadam, May 11, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

750ml bottle poured into my Ithaca Beer Co. tulip glass...

Pours a nice ruby red with two fingers of fluffy pink head, some lacing is left behind...

Cherry, very sweet and fruity. A bit, and I stress "bit" of sourness and oaky dryness, but it is very subdued...pretty much just a cherry bomb, ha...

Cherry Ludens cough drops with a bit of a drying oak flavor. Slightly bitter in the finish but mostly this is just a sweet blend of alcoholic cherry juice with a bit of a drying, woody character and slight tart flavors at the end...kind of feel guilty liking this beer so much...

Medium bodied and very well carbonated. Tingly and crisp on the palette...

I really doubt there is any alcohol in this beer, but New Glarus insists there is. I feel kinda stupid enjoying this juice box so much, but it is great, a nice after meal treat...

hawks10, May 05, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +13%

Poured into a tulip. Thanks to alcstradamus for this one.

4.0 A: Murky amber red color sort of how dried blood looks. Two fingers of frothy white head with average retention and some lacing.

5.0 S: Holy shit, the cherries. I just had the Raspberry Tart and this is pretty much the same aroma, but with cherries. Cherries, cherries, cherries! Nothing but cherries. The cherries block out everything else. I didn't give the Tart a 5 on the nose, because I appreciate complexity, but i can't not give this a 5 because it's so damn enticing.

5.0 T: Again, the cherries dominate the hell out of this beer, but it doesn't matter. It's so damn tasty. Cherries are mainly sweet, like maraschino cherries, but not in a fake way. There's a subtle tartness that balances the sweetness well. Like the Tart, there isn't any malt or hops to talk about, but I'm sure they do their part in the background.

5.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation is spritzy and dances on the tongue. Super smooth.

5.0 D: I need more of these fruit twins. This is the PERFECT dessert beer for both beer aficianados and BMC guzzlers alike. I'm both sad and disgusted that I only have one bottle left.

DavoleBomb, May 02, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

750 mL bottle, dipped in dark red wax. Poured into a flute. Thanks Brian23456 (I think)!

A near perfect fruit beer for my tastes in most every regard. Aroma and flavor are dominated by rich, complex and completely natural fresh cherries. Thick, syrupy body with fine carbonation and a long lasting sour and tart cherry finish. Appearance is murky, thick rust and blood color with a large cream colored head with a light rosy tint. Long lasting retention and thick rings of web like lacing. Only thing keeping this from being all 5s for me is that I would prefer a little more tart to sweet cherry flavor, but it's a minor concern.

yourefragile, May 01, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Review from notes at DLD 4/24/10

This beer poured a lovely, hazy, deep ruby red with a white cap that had the slightest pink in it. The body is a shade darker than the Cranbic. Lots of cherries (Bing and Maraschino type) and a hint of apples. The flavor is so similar to the aroma that the only difference is that I discern a touch more tartness in it. Overall very sweet. Smooth texture, light and bubbly. A great drinker all around.

DmanGTR, Apr 27, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle shared by Bobby8405 at our micro-epic NFL Draft tasting.

A - It pours a grenadine-red, with giant pink foam that is quite short-lived, but it is just a intriguing and beautiful looking brew.

S - The smell is super cherry. It is tremendously fragrant. There is a palpable tartness apparent, too.

T - The taste is saturated entirely with tart red cherries. It is not without dynamic, it is just that every bit of the dynamic is cherry-centric. Sweet like grenadine, tart like cherry pie, earthy like fresh cherries, etc. Awesome. When compared to its sister brew, NG Raspberry Tart, this brew stands far above it; it has complexity in its flavor, highlights and celebrates all flavors cherry, and is much more tart than the Raspberry Tart.

M - Medium-bodied and tart-sweet with a clean and slightly dry finish.

D - Great stuff; it was enjoyed by all.

ktrillionaire, Apr 25, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -11%

Bottle courtesy of a trade with soulforpeanuts. Tasted with dgb3. (I love BAs!) I was blown away by Raspberry Tart and was really looking forward to this one.

Appearance is not what I'd expect from a Belgian. Very cloudy rubies and purples and reds, which makes the body absolutely gorgeous. But the head is minimal and there's not much retention to speak of. Aromas are all cherry...it's very prominent and in your face, but the flavors reveal something a little more subtle. It's actually a lot sweeter on the palate than expected. At the tasting, I said the aromas were freshly picked and ripened cherries, but the flavors were more on the maraschino cherries side of the spectrum, just really sweet and tons of residuals covering the mouth. Each sip revealed a varied level of tartness, which I suppose kept things interesting. Not much "Belgian" in here that I could discern. The cherries really take this one over.

All parties agreed that this brew would be best for either a hot day or a brunch. It was really great for what it was, but I couldn't drink more than one goblet of this in one sitting, whereas I happily drank the entire bottle of Raspberry Tart in a short amount of time.

washburnkid, Apr 25, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -22.8%

Split this one with the wife after dinner. Poured mine into my duvel tulip and my wife used a lindemanns flute.

This thing is bright and clear. Pinkish red with a pink tint to the head. Nice vertical chunks of lace hang on the curves of my glass.

This beer smells like ludens cherry cough drops- you remember the ones that were more like candy than medicine. Cherry is all I really smell or taste... With exception of a slight sourness that hopefully intensifies with age. I'll be saving a bottle for a while and re-review this at that point. I'm hoping the cherry mellows out and other flavors make an appearance.
I mean this really reminds me of cherry pie filling.

The level of carbonation is great, though less than the raspberry tart. The body is still light and drinkable. This does lose some points on taste and drinkability for being a one trick pony...
But it is not a total loser... It is enjoyable for what it is...It is a fruitbeer afterall.

AleWatcher, Apr 18, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

I really liked this beer. It reminds me of Samuel Smith's Organic Cherry. It pours a dark red and smells like cherry, of course. The taste is great, sweet like cherry but not too sweet. I highly recommend this beer for anyone who likes fruit beers, Samuel Smith's Cherry, or New Glarus beers.

Cubsfan1087, Apr 18, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

First off, thanks to beerwolf77 for this beauty. Secondly, this is hands down the best cherry flavored beer on the planet.

A: Pours a cherry wood/pinkish color with a small white cap that retains for a minute or two then fades away.

S: Fresh, ripe, delicious cherries! Sweet smelling for sure, with a little twang. I don't pick up on any hops, and malts are pretty faint and hardly noticeable amongst the mass amounts of cherries. The cherries do not smell artificial at all, sweet and sour.

T: Wow...this is what a fruit beer should taste like. No artificial fruit, just ripe, sweet & sour cherries! Tastes like cherry cheesecake pie filling. Highly addicting, and completely different than "beer." Tastes more like a cherry flavored soda. The flavor makes you pucker, but then a sweet side comes out.

MF/D: Expect high carbonation because this is a light brew, light body, lingering sweet & sour cherry finish.

As far as fruit beers go, amazing...but not like typical beers. There were definitely moments where I just wanted to tip the glass back and chug, so be careful and refrain from doing so.

scottyshades, Apr 18, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

Doodler sent this to me as an EXTRA in our most recent trade. Thank you for the generosity my friend.

WARNING: My bottle foamed over as soon as I had the cap off and made a decent mess on my kitchen table. I'd recommend opening this over the sink just to be safe.

A: A finger of off-white head sits atop a beautiful reddish brown liquid that gives off ruby hues when held to the light. Some spotty sticky lace sticks to the sides of the glass. Head mostly dissipated after a few minutes.

S: Pretty much straight cherry and not much else. Hints of sourness and acidity are present too. In general, this isn't an unpleasing aroma at all. However, when it's coming from a beer I worry it's going to be too sweet.

T: Tart cherries an a little yeasty funk. Pretty much tastes like sour fruit juice. Are you sure this is beer in my glass?

M: Light body and not a whole lot of carbonation. Dries out a little in the finish. I would actually have liked to see a little more carbonation here.

D: This was good, but I'm not crazy about it to be honest. It reminded me a bit of table wine: very sweet and appealing to drink in small doses. After I was about half-way through the bottle, however, I'd had enough. It just got a little too sweet after a while. I wouldn't drink 750 ml of fruit juice, and that's basically what this tastes like. Despite this, it's still a very respectable fruit beer. The Red Raspberry is much better IMO.

MrDanno96, Apr 03, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -8%

My fifth or so time with this beer due to a generous relative of mine who lives in Wisconsin. About time I gave it a review.

Appearance- Pours a really nice shade of ruby-crimson into my snifter with about two fingers of pink head sitting on top. Head gradually dies down to a thin sheet across the top. Mild lacing and beading as i drink.

Smell- Wow, a whole lot of fresh cherries here. Smells like a fresh cherry pie, just a little bit sweet and jammy. Hard to really detect anything else beyond the cherries, but very fresh and not artificial at all.

Taste- Again, really up front on the fresh cherries. Lots of fresh, sweet cherry and cherry preserves. Mixed in however is a little bit of cherry pit woodiness as well, which adds a little bit more depth. Very nice for dessert, and I imagine it would go very well with cheesecake. Finishes off with a very mild tartness at the end.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is solid with adequate carbonation and not too thick. Drinkability suffers just a touch because this one got a little sweet towards the end of my glass.

Overall, a great cherry inspired fruit beer. Can lean a little towards sweet at the end of your glass, but it never struck me as an artificial fruitiness. Give it a shot

boatshoes, Mar 26, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a set of New Glarus flute glasses. poured a ruby red color with a significant amount of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. It poured with a small white head that quickly retreated to the sides of the glass.

The aroma is is all sweet cherries. Almost smells like a cherry syrup or cherry juice. The taste is pretty much again cherry dominated. It has some sweetness but is also offset by a little dry tartness in the finish. It still leans towards the sweeter side but the tartness helps it from being cloyingly sweet.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation. Drinkability is very good for as fruity as a beer as this is. it would probably pair great with a lot of deserts.

Overall I really loved this beer, but I absolutely love cherries. Cherries are probably my favorite fruit and this beer really tastes like real cherries instead of the fake extract in a lot of cherry beers.

billab914, Mar 26, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Obtained in a trade with TRBERGMAN. Poured into a CCB snifter.

A- Ruby red in color. Poured a 2 inch head that had good retention. Spider web sticky lacing left.

S- Ummmm cherry jolly ranchers. Then more cherry jolly ranchers.

T- Excellent. Of course it's huge on cherries. It's almost like drinking candy without the sugar overkill. Is there really alcohol in this???? I'm sad that I'm on my last swig.

M- Perfect level of carbonation. Finishes pretty dry.

D- I could drink this for days.

urwithdave, Mar 20, 2010

A - Vibrant ruby red color. Big head that has a slightly red hue, too. A bit cloudy.

S - No doubt, the BEST aroma on any fruit beer... maybe ANY beer I've had! If I didn't know better, I would guess my glass holds a bunch of crushed cherries. Like a sweet cherry pie filling.

T - Again, very fresh, authentic cherries dominate the flavor, but a distinct white grape juice flavor comes through. More sour than tart, if there is a difference (I think so). An awesome sort of candy sugariness that is fantastic. The complexity and depth of this beer is unbelievable!

M/D - Medium carbonation and body. The taste lingers with you and gives you time to think about it for a minute or longer after having it. One of two perfect beers I have ever had. I need more Wisconsin Belgian Red!

SirSketch, Mar 16, 2010

Reviewed from notes taken at Greg's epic Wall St. tasting

A - Pours a reddish brown, with a light pink head that quickly recedes to a small collar.

S - CRANBERRIES! (thats all I wrote, but I have a distinct memory of how one-dimensional this was)

T - A typical fruit beer: very one-dimensional, but hammers its point home quite ferociously. A tad cloying.

M - Very thin, too light and champagne-like for my tastes.

D - Very drinkable, could session this all day but for the limited distribution. However, just because you could doesn't mean you should...

NYCWheatFanSC, Mar 05, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

Bright ruby red in color. Looks like a red wine with a soft pick head, while short-lived has lot's of body and texture. Smells like you're walking through a cherry orchard. No malts, hops, ect..., none needed, the cherries do the job. I could sit here and smell this beer all day. Flavor follows the aroma. Cheeries. Not cough drop cherry flavoring. Real fresh cherries with all of the sweetness and tartness that cheeries have. Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium with great carbonation. I wouldn't call this a session beer but it sure is easy to get this one down. Thanks brewcrew!

wcudwight, Mar 03, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love this beer! First you have to consider the elegant packaging... the green 750ml bottle, the red wax, even the label is classy. Then you pour... aroma is a blast of fresh pie cherries. And the color, a hazy beautiful dark pink-red complete with a light pink head which fades quickly. Taste is a refreshing, sweet-tart, complex sour, acetic, cherry flavor. Not for amateurs! My friend and girlfriend didn't really care for it and they gave me theirs. She said the tartness and carbonation reminded her of the inside of Zots candy. More for me! Just one drop of this beer is loaded with flavors.

kreeper, Feb 27, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours pink/red and slightly hazy. Fizzy champagne bubbles. Aroma is amazing. No harsh chemically or plastic aroma. Spicy cherry aroma. Warm inviting cherry flavor, alcohol, spice, aged wood. Dry, warm finish. Lingering tart cherries. Just enough background malt ot make it a beer. #2 New Glaurus fruit beer, just behind the Raspberry Tart.

arkurzynski, Feb 21, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Ruddy red colored pour with a small loose head. Tart cherry and sweet pie aroma with a hint of funk. Sweet tart cherry pie flavor with slight cane sugar, vinegar, apple cider and biscuit. The body is sticky, medium full with lots of effervescent carbonation.

punkrkr27, Feb 16, 2010