Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to tayner for the bottle and a great trade.

Pours a deep cloudy read, with a nice white head with a slight pinkish head. Nose is of some cherry and a bit of tartness. Flavor is a deep red tart cherry flavor. Almost a spritzer type quality in the mouthfeel. A very refreshing, but extremely sweet beverage to be enjoyed for desert on a summer day. Excellent brew, one to be admired. I still prefer the raspberry tart, but this is defenitely the second best cherry beer I have ever had, and the best cherry beer of this style I have had undoubtedly. Thanks again to Dana for letting go of this one.

06-27-2008 04:19:16 | More by AKBelgianBeast
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Cellared for one year.

A: Brownish-red with a slightly pink head; very little retention; slight leg.

S: Tart cherries, jube-jube candy fruitiness, brown sugar.

T: Light tartness, sour cherries, pleasant fruity esters, woody, slightly bready with a hint of brown sugar.

M: Well-attenuated, moderate body has a slight acidity and a dry finish.

D: Very drinkable.

06-25-2008 03:00:05 | More by Derek
younger35

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

After trying the Raspberry Tart, I swore I'd make a Wisconsin run to grab as much of the Tart and Red as possible. I did. Drank from a Radisson Inn Hotel glass.

Appearance- Pours a fuzzy light pinkish that really brought out my girlfriends eyes... Small half finger bright white head that leaves a spotty cap and thin collar. Remarkably, plenty of lacing is left down the side of the glass.
Smell- Smells exactly like Hostess Cherry Pie filling (and I love Hostess Cherry Pies!!). Very tart and inviting. Really no way to explain this brew other than a huge burst of delicious cherry awesomeness. When you read the explanation of the beer on the label, it says it uses more than a pound per bottle. I immediately called bullshit... then I smelled it. They use every bit of that pound.
Taste- Like the Raspberry Tart, I wonder how they can possibly get this much fruit in a "beer" (loosely use the term "beer" for these treats). Just amazing how good these things are... Not as tart as the Raspberry but subtly sweet and full of ridiculously smooth cherries. Very light vanilla and yogurt undertones but this thing is 99% cherry. Pretty sweet and teetering on cloying but stays really drinkable for the most part.
Mouthfeel- Thick and luscious I'm digging the full goodness. The label says this brew has a medium body and high carbonation. I'd describe it more as a full body with accenting carbonation. High the carbonation is not.
Drinkability- 5! I could honestly drink this brew all night. It's a bit easier drinking than the Tart but overall the tastiness of this brew is a bit lower. I know it's a semi different beast all together but 9-10 times I'd rather have the other. Still really really good for what it is. Probably should grab more before I leave the state. More than recommended!

EDIT: After a couple years of drinking both the Tart and the Red, the Red is much better. Scores reflected.

06-23-2008 03:25:24 | More by younger35
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Got this one from Jw347, cheer John!

Pours an effervescent orange/burgundy with a pinkie of ruby pink head. No head retention or lacing

S: Tart cherry, vanilla & oak

T: Tart cherries, oakyness, vanilla, tartness, persimmons & dryness up front. Tartness, cherry & oak dominate as this warms. Finishes tart, dark fruit & cherries

MF: Medium bodied with spritzy carbonation that fades quickly

Pretty drinkable, but the tartness would get to me after 2 or 3 bombers. A beer that both my wife & I enjoyed (that's a rarity when we both like it!).

A classic, shame about the lack of head retention & lacing, but I'd have this in the rotation if I lived in the Dairy State for sure!

06-22-2008 05:20:08 | More by russpowell
beerkittycat

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance is hazy orange with red and pink hues. A rocky white head settles after a moment to a thin layer. Aroma has cherry pie upfront but behind that there is some nice malty notes and other interesting finds like buttery graham cracker crust and cheesecake. Flowery hops dance around the malt and cherries. Very complex nose. Right out of the gate in the taste is fresh Door-county cherry pie! What follows is an interesting mix of malt and rose-like hop flavors. Hop bitterness, however, is fairly restrained and it could be ramped up a bit to balance the moderate sweetness. I'm shocked this is only 5%ABV because the mouthfeel is like a Belgian Strong Ale. A very complex beer that you could spend all night finding new things to discover within. Don't miss it!

06-16-2008 02:05:45 | More by beerkittycat
SQNfan

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Deep yet bright ruby in color with thin lacing when swirled. The nose shows off an abundance of rotting cherries. This continued into a medium-bodied palate with lots of carbonation and crispness. While simple this is very well-balanced, refreshing and enjoyable.

06-16-2008 01:25:24 | More by SQNfan
Tilley4

Tennessee

Huge thanks to Lordsloth for including this in the Virgin BIF and knocking a Want off my list..

The wife and I enjoyed this one while having some of her homemade cheesecake on Father's Day..

Poured into a champagne flute...

Pours out a murky reddish brown that forms a smallish eggshell head....barleywine like in color...

Delicious fruity aroma of fresh hand picked cherries that have been crushed into some sort of compote... It smells vaguely sweet but not overly so... This really smells delicious...

This is just a masterfully crafted brew here... Its loaded with delicious cherry flavor but at the same time maintains its integrity by not being overly sweet or cloying... It partners perfectly with the cheesecake that I'm having... I don't know what they could have done to improve upon this (except distribute it in Tennessee!!). I've had the Raspberry Tart and it was good but this is on another level. I place this brew up there with the truly elite ones that I've had. Simply a masterpiece..

This is one of those brews that you savor, enjoy... and rue over when its gone. I have got to trade for more of this... Its too good not to have more of...

06-16-2008 00:29:59 | More by Tilley4
errantnight

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Just a remarkably delicious beer...

Thanks to Joe1510 for my first bottle (although not the one I'm reviewing now), and DontCallMeSurly for the bottle I'm drinking now.

Pours a distinctly reddish amber brown that's slightly hazy with a fizzy, thin finger of head that actually smooths out into a nice creamy layer. Attractive, organic lacing. Head lasts on the perimeter until the bitter end.

Aroma is a wallop of cherries... fresh baked cherries. Slightly sweet, but not quite candy.

The taste backs this up... a cherry-centric middle with a balancing tartness and maybe a suggestion of bitterness on the back-end. Warm malt sweetness underlies the cherry but stays in the back. Leaves a slight candy aftertone on the tongue.

Smooth, medium-bodied, with nice carbonation. Easy to enjoy without being syrupy thick or too spritzy and thin.

Amazingly drinkable except for the slightly heavy sweetness. But then... this isn't a lambic.

Great great great... and something I wish I could always have a bottle or two of stowed away. And of course... the lady loves it.

06-11-2008 06:53:56 | More by errantnight
PeprSprYoFace

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

This is easily on my top 5 beers tried and I have had around 32 of the top 100. This is my 3rd bottle that I have drank and I'm finally starting to review the beers I drink.

Poured into a lindemans flute glass. Pours a nice looking bright red color with almost no head.

Smells of straight sweet and tart cherries. Smells amazing.

Taste just punches you in the face with how much cherry flavor is in here. So good with the sweetness and tartness balanced well.

Mouthfeel is great with a nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is very high with me though I have been told by friends that they could not drink alot if this because of the sweetness. But for me I could drink the whole 750ml bottle. I stocked up on this after my first taste. Awesome brew that everyone should seek out. Can see the ladies liken this one...

06-10-2008 06:54:50 | More by PeprSprYoFace
aerozeppl

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Thanks to drseamus for bringing this.

A: Cloudy bright red. Minimal white head.

S: Cherries big up front with some sweetness. Tartness in the back.

T: Cherries and tart. The raspberry tart has me dreading this but the tartness was not nearly as strong. Amazing the amount of flavor for such a low ABV ber.

M: Light body making this even more drinkable.

D: Tons of flavor for such a small beer. As a brewer this is one of those beers that toally blows my mind. How did they do this?

06-08-2008 19:08:17 | More by aerozeppl
Oxymoron

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Is cherrirific a word? Pours a darker shade of red with definite brown hues. Almost like a Flanders red. Good clarity with a slight haze, although I did pour in a bit of sediment on the bottom. A reddish white head when poured but did dissipate complete. Limited lacing as well.

The nose is very unique. Some sweeter malt notes mixes with a sugary cherry aroma. Almost like a masaccio cherry in a way but more of a syrup like smell. Very complex with a lot of different esters and malt notes. A citrus and tart notes, apples, figs, caramel and a hint of rose.

The taste is also very unique. The cherry flavor balances well with the malt but definitely cherry wins out. Almost has a wine spritzer taste with a sweet, sweet fruit flavor coming out. The malt is easy to pick out though. There is a Flanders red quality with some Belgian malt notes. Some caramel/Special B notes and a distinct yeasty notes as well. Some esters and woody characteristics as well. The taste continues long after you taste it with a sugar and cherry finish. Very good flavor.

The body is hard to pin down with a moderate feel but with the sweetness that lasts into the finish gives it more of a fuller texture. Because this is so sweet it deters from drinking too much and leaves a lot of aftertaste. Overall a fun beer and must try at least once.

06-06-2008 20:56:04 | More by Oxymoron
FtownThrowDown

4.38/5  rDev 0%

Pours a murky reddish brown in color. No head from the pour or anything. I could smell this beer as soon as I popped the top on it. Wonderful tart cherries in the smell.
Every now and again you come across a beer that is just a joy to drink. A very pleasant experience. This is one of them. Doesn't need to be "tricked" out with a high ABV or uber-hopped, etc. This is just a simple, straight forward, very well done beer. Enjoyable to the last drop.
Taste is tart, fresh, juicy cherries. Not a whole lot of carbonation, but I prefer it that way. Surprisingly non-cloying and doesn't get old or tiring to drink. Very enjoyable beer.

06-06-2008 13:58:39 | More by FtownThrowDown
halfP1NT

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to EliteDigger for hooking me up with this one!

This beer pours a beautiful, cloudy, deep mahogany with a warm reddish hue, almost purple. There is a fizzy quality that creates a nice, off-white head with a red tint. Some lines of lacing are left behind.

First smell to hit my nose is sweet cherries. It reminds me of a black cherry soda.

Taste is sweet black cherries with a tart finish. The flavor coats the inside of my mouth and the tartness lingers for a while. It becomes even more tart as it warms. I actually enjoyed this beer at a colder temperature; I found it very refreshing.

This beer reminds me of a nice black cherry soda, except the beer's sweetness is not as overbearing, its body is more robust, and its carbonation bubbles are much smaller, giving it an enjoyable mouthfeel. This is a very unusual beer, like nothing I've ever tasted before.

This is a great fruit beer; just thinking about some other fruit beers that I think missed the mark (Southern Tier's Raspberry Porter comes to mind), this beer is right on. The sweetness is accompanied by a thick, full body and enticing tartness that makes me want to keep drinking.

06-05-2008 01:54:00 | More by halfP1NT
pwoods

3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

Thanks to Atron67 for this trade at DLD.

750ml dark green bottle, red wax dipped, poured into a flute.

A: Literally pours blood red, opaque. Maybe 1 finger worth of lightly tinted head forms and holds to a fat skim for a bit. Some wisps of lacing.

S: Cherries. Yep, Cherries. Very juicy and syrupy sweet with a faint tartness in the back. That's about it. Cherries.

T/M: Haha, it's so weird. It's hardly like beer at all, yet it is. The cherry flavor is very very good. Not too tart, just enough to cut the juicy sweetness. A good drying effect midway and through to the end. The tartness comes out a bit more as the drying occurs but it never gets to the 'wine' stage. A little bit of a 'pit-y' flavor comes out a bit.. like from a cherry pit. Body is about medium with a syrupy feel to it. Carbonation is on the higher side. As it warms further, it becomes much drier and the tartness boosts way up.

D: The 750ml was way too much for me. It's very tasty, but in small doses. I'd say splitting a 750 with 3 other people would be perfect for my liking. Also, it /completely/ changes as it warms up.

05-28-2008 01:42:26 | More by pwoods
DontCallMeSurly

Wisconsin

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

Figured it was about time to review this one.

I love the color of this one, it pours out a sexy cherry (really!!) with hints of mahogany around the edges. There is a medium amount of head on this one as it doesn't leave much lacing either. A very powerful tart cherry character is present. Taste is pretty much the same; a lot of tart cherries with a slightly sweet finish. This bottle had a very bitter aftertaste, which I don't recall from previous batches. Maybe my palate was off. There's a lot of carbonation to this and it's kind of similar to champagne in mouthfeel. I enjoy the hell out of this one and look forward to drinking plenty of this in the upcoming summer months!

05-24-2008 14:15:44 | More by DontCallMeSurly
happygnome

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

a: pours a nice hazy red color with not quiete an eigth inch of head that dissapears fast leaving little lacing aroung the edge of the glass
s: cherries dominate the aroma, hints of sourness are nice very fruity aroma
t: same as the aroma, like eating cherries without the pits no alcohol in the taste
m: medium bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, i really enjoyed this brew, nice sourness

05-19-2008 17:02:59 | More by happygnome
ncvbc

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a murky reddish brown, thin fizzy head and big carbonation. Well, it looks like cider and smells the same way. Cherry and a spicy cider character. Very sweet and fruity, plain and simple. Taste has a lot of cider-like flavor to it...right as it hits my tongue that's what I think of. It's quite sweet and sugary with a little hint of yeast. Somewhat tart cherry finish. Mouthfeel is alive with carbonation and tart. Hmm, I don't think this is my style. There's not much wrong with this beer, it just doesn't sit well. I really don't feel like I'm drinking beer right now. I can see why some people would love the hell out of this one, I guess it's not my style. Funny thing is...the drinkability score is lower for me simply because I'm not digging it completely. If you enjoy this type of beer, I bet you could drink the hell out of it aside from how much it would cost. No alcohol at all and doesn't seem like beer. Close your eyes and imagine.

Cheers to jw347 and scoobydank for sending bottles my way

05-08-2008 01:15:01 | More by ncvbc
tprokop7

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks again to dhr for the bottle. Split with another BA, into Rodenbach glasses.

Pours a dark pinkish-orange with about a cm of head. The aroma is dominated by cherries, and the taste reminds me a lot of a flemmish sour blended with cherry lambik. Feels well carbonated and smooth in the mouth, but the sourness in the stomach detracts from the drinkability at the end.

Overall a good brew that I'd like to have the chance to try again.

05-07-2008 01:18:54 | More by tprokop7
BigFrank71

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Since i do most of my drinking in Wisconsin, I have become a big fan of New Glarus. This Beligian red was very tasty. Nice ruby red color with a pink head. perfect tart cherry flavor, not overly sweet and not too tart. This served with a good cheescake or even a sorbet would be the cats ass. New Glarus did a fantastic job with this one

05-06-2008 04:18:27 | More by BigFrank71
IBUnit63

4.38/5  rDev 0%

Via trade with flyingbison (many thanks); from 750 into Riedel Extreme Burgundy/Pinot Noir glass.

Pours dark cider/caramel color with ample natural cherry hue. Carbonation cloys to bowl of glass; head very thin.

Perfumy, natural cherry essence brings the dominant scent here - slight tangy yeast and malt. Just enough citrus funk.

This is a treat - understated yet plentiful carbonation delivers a powerful cherry and natural sugar hammer with powerful force. Slight saltiness from carbonation. Nice backbone of yeast, slight citrus and braised malt.

This delivers much more of a hearty yet mellow (almost boiled? not a bad thing) mouthfeel. A slight salty tinge from the carbonation hits the back of the mouth with little aftertaste from a long and deep finish. Almost as if there's a significant tannin profile from the cherry skins as would be expected in wine. Gets stronger and more enjoyable with warmth.

This is a pleasure to savor but drinks much easier than other offerings crafted at this level of excellence. Great stuff.

05-03-2008 01:44:23 | More by IBUnit63
Slatetank

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to gottajiboo2 for sharing this ale.
Served slightly chilled
A - Deep red like cherry syrup w/ good clarity and a small pink head

S - Lots of ripe cherry juice in the nose w/ subtle sweetness in the aroma

M - Very lively w/ sweetness and a nice tart fresh cherry acidity

T- An incredibly tasty cherry flavor w/ freshly crushed cherry intensity and gentle sweetness like Grandma's tart fresh picked cherry pie. The flavor is fresh w/ enough of a malt foundation to make it clear this is a fruit beer and not a cherry wine cooler. The carbonation is crisp enough to allow the taste to expand across the palate instead of becoming cloying. This is very complex w/ sweet tart and juicy flavors that aren't quit sour or sugary, but quenching and fulfilling all the way.

D - I wouldn't call this the ultimate fruit ale...yet, but it ranks very high. It has so many flavors and doesn't hold back. It tastes fresh, sweet yet is something that can be sipped and savored for hours. New Glarus has really made a fine Cherry beer - I will definitely seek this one out again

04-23-2008 15:02:23 | More by Slatetank
wardough

Wisconsin

Brought this back from a recent trip from WI. What a great gem!
A: Pours a light burgundy. A good 1/2 inch head that dissipates into a tight lacing.
S: Wonderful cherries.
T: Wow, you forget that you're drinking an ale. It's sweet, but not overly sweet. This would be a great desert beverage.
M: Medium-high carbonation makes this go down smooth, almost like champagne.
D: Highly drinkable.
All in all, you must get this beer. Great job, Mr. Carey.

04-20-2008 21:25:38 | More by wardough
YonderWanderer

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

A: Pours a deep red color, a hint of murkiness behind it. A thin layer of foam forms on top and this brew leaves no lacing behind.

S: Cherries! Rich, sweet, slightly sour, tart cherries. That's it. That's all. And it's damn good.

T: Follows the aroma. This is a cherry-centric brew, and it's a damn good one. Some sweetness, some tartness, and a full cherry flavor run deep through this one. In short, it's fantastic if you like the taste of cherries.

M: Well carbonated, and has a smooth mouthfeel. Good carbonation.

D: I could drink this stuff all day. It's fantastic. Not as sour or tart as a kriek lambic, but rich in flavor, and quite tasty. I wish this came out to the east coast!

04-16-2008 23:27:52 | More by YonderWanderer
DrDogbeer

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into a chimay goblet. Totally different look from what I was expecting. I should have taken that into consideration for the rest of the experience. They say they put 1 lb of cheeries into every bottle, I believe them. Funky pinkish hue to the beer, with tons of carbonation. tastes the same as it looks- almost like drinking cherry champagne. The smell is amazing- something out of my childhood- candy or something similar, but I cant put my finger on it. I will never drink a fruit beer and not compare it to this one!! New Glarus impresses me once again!!

04-07-2008 02:03:17 | More by DrDogbeer
BoitSansSoif

France

3.73/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at brewery and aged 1 year.
A-Pours a deep ruby-amber with thick off-white head. Decent retention and spotty lacing.
S-Tart cherries, sweet malt, brown sugar. Comes through very nice.
T-Sweet and sour cherries, nice backbone of toasted malt. I'm picking up slight bit of vinegar in the back, however.
M-Slightly syrupy, medium-thick body.
D-Best kept quite cold. I was hoping my wife would help with this one but she doesn't like it. It's decent, and something I'm glad to try, but only once.

04-05-2008 04:17:21 | More by BoitSansSoif