Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,025
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a gorgrous dark red. Small white head doesn't last for more than a few seconds. Aroma is HUGE! The fresh juicy cherry aroma is massive. Perfect level of tartness, more so than the raspberry tart. Feel is light to moderate with a light tingle from the carbonation. This is brilliant. Super juicy drinkable.

kbnooshay, Jan 03, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Shared this bottle with my dad on Christmas Day.

Appearance: Ruby red with a finger of slightly red head.

Smell: 100% tart cherries.

Taste: Sweet and sour cherries.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and tart.

Drinkability: I enjoyed this beer a lot and will be seeking it out to drink it myself.

Axic10, Dec 31, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -32.6%

The bottle looks great with its red wax seal over the cap. The beer pours nice with a decent head. The color is a burnt orange red. I would opt to drink this over many desert wines. It is not the type of beer that I would want to drink in larger quantities. I was surprised how strong the cherry flavor was until I read they put a pound of cherries in every bottle. Honestly I would have liked it better if it tasted more like beer.

zackinthebox, Dec 29, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from the waxed-dipped bottle into a NG flute.

The pour is a clear, light red color with an off-white cap. It's not as dark or as striking a red as you might expect. It's okay looking.

I don't know if I even want to put separate "Smell" and "Taste" sections here. This beer is cherries, cherries, cherries, and more cherries. On the sweet side, but not cloying. If you like a good cherry beer, this is it.

Mouthfeel is fairly syrupy, with low-medium carbonation. Smooth. This would be a perfect score with precisely 13 more bubbles.

Drinkability is pretty good. If you split the bottle with another person, you're in good shape - any more than that, and the sweetness of the brew might start to wear on you.

davod23, Dec 29, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance- maroon with a bit of good head. Clean and clear

Smell- tart cherries on the nose... Very powerful

Taste- tart cherries very strong flavour profile. Very very tasty!

Mouthfeel- thin and crisp and well carbonated

Drinkability- very drinkable. Like drinking juice... Very very good juice

Urbancaver, Dec 22, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to zizzybalubba for this one. Pops good with a bit of bubbles. Smell is cherry candy and all cherry. There is no doubt this is a cherry beer. Thick and full of flavor and pretty sweet. Tates like a kids drink or something like that. Very different beer, but for a fruit beer, this is awesome. I drank the bottle and was wore out doing so. I think the first glass was great, but at 4% I thought I would be able to do this on my own. The last glass was starting to get to me, but the first glass was wonderful.

calir1, Dec 22, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

pours hazy brownish blood orange with a 1+ finger off white creamy head that left spotted lacing

smells of nutty oak vanilla cherries

taste is the same woody oak vanilla cherries and a nice aftertaste of malts

mouthfeel - medium body with good carboantion but it stings my mouth a little bit harsh

drinkability - i want to give this beer a 5 the flavors are so mind blowing but the way it stings my mouth i will deduct .5 - this beer went right back oback on my want list

jsh420, Dec 22, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

I poured this 25 oz. bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: cloudy reddish-amber color, 1-finger pinkish head quickly diminishes into a scant cap with decent lacing.

S: pure cherry aroma, sweet, pie crust like malt; this smells like a fresh baked cherry pie!

T: sour cherry, sweet malt, the middle shows a fruity yeast character, the finish is slightly sour and surprisingly dry. I'm sure there are hops somewhere in there, but they are buried under a mountain of cherries. The taste is cherry, cherry, and more cherry, and while this was to be expected, I also expected just a bit more complexity and finish.

M: light-bodied, lightly carbonated, watery/lightly silky up front with a crisp, tart finish, wait for it... like a cherry.

D: It felt like drinking a bowl of cherries, which is heaven for some people, but just sort of cool for me. As I said before, I was expecting a little more from a "Belgian" red. The pink head is cute!

Erish, Dec 21, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to Cosmohophead for lugging this one back from Darkness Day for me.

This beer pours a muddy ruby with a nice 3 inch cap that disappears into just a thin ring around the inside of the glass. The head lingers and leaves decent lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is undiluted organic cherry juice. No added sweeteners, no preservatives, just cherry. The flavor reminds me of organic cherry fruit roll ups. Concentrated tartness intermingled with cherry sweetness. Tasty, tasty stuff. For some reason, I also pick up just a hint of chocolate. Maybe some chocolate malts are added. This beer is utterly fantastic. The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy for me but really, that's a little thing. I don't know if this is the best American fruit beer (because that distinction could go to Raspberry Tart) but its damn close.

hwwty4, Dec 13, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Thankfully I got 3 bottles of this so far in the Birthday BIF 2010/2011. Thanks big time for all the guys in this group.
Split my first bottle 3 ways.

A- Pours out a pretty dark red. I thought this beer was in a brown glass, but its actually a green bottle. The color of the beer through the green makes it look like a brown bottle. The shade of red is almost exactly like the waxed used to seal the crown. A small head fizzes out but there is still lots of pearls of lacing left behind.

S- Holy cow this smells huge of cherries. Big, sweet black cherries, skin and all. There is some earthiness that has suggestions of yeast but this aroma is dominated by cherries.

T- The perfect level of tartness that balances the sweetness of black cherries. Its huge on cherry. There is some plum skin that adds to the tartness. The grains and yeast play into the base creating ground for the cherries to stand on.

M- Lighter but not super light. Soft, prickly carbonation. Clean, smooth finish.

D- This stuff is great. I dont mind having extra bottles around.

MbpBugeye, Dec 12, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -9.1%

Thanks to my bro for the bottle!

Pours a cloudy, cherry-red with a thin white film on top. Light to almost no lacing.

Cherry cough drops with sweet malts on the nose. Fairly one dimensional, but it definitely brings out the cherries, so I'll give them that.

Lots of sweet candy cherry. Like nose, this is almost all cherry. Quite sweet and a bit malty. Definitely the most cherry flavor I've had in a beer.

Mouthfeel is smooth and well carbonated. Almost syrupy. Malty, seems to go well with the flavor.

Drinkability is good. A bit sweet and one-dimensional, but a fun beer to drink and only 4% ABV. Definitely seek this out if you love fruity beers and/or cherry. Also a great beer for those that aren't really into beer.

sisuspeed, Dec 12, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -12.6%

Thanks to icharus84 for this and some other great beers from New Glarus.

Tried it last night with some friends.

A: Poured from the bottle into the glass, had a brownish-red color, and nice foamy head that dissipated quickly.

S: Cherries, lets just say that.

T: Primarily a cherry flavoring, and not that sicky sweet cherry flavor in cherry drinks, but a natural fresh cherry taste. There was also spice undertones from the belgium style ale that complimented the cherry flavor. Gave it good depth and complexity in the taste.

M: It was surprisingly light and crisp. Didn't leave a heavy taste

D: I don't know if I can drink a single 750ml in a single sitting, but it makes for a good beer to share with friends. I can see me drinking it in the summer by the pool or in the winter next to the fireplace.

wstein70, Dec 06, 2010

Consumed 11/30/10

Poured into a Bruery tulip

A: Pours a DEEP ruby red that glows wonderfully in the light. Highly carbonated and pours a lovely white-pink head that fizzles out after a few seconds.

S: I can smell cherries when I open the bottle. All I smell are fresh, juicy, tangy cherries.

T: Wow! It's like sucking on a cherry Jolly Rancher, without the high fructose corn syrup. Bright, punchy fruity flavor comes at my mouth fast, and the 4.0% alcohol isn't tasted at all, but lends to the overall construction, letting me know this is a beer.

F: Glazes my tongue in a red bath with a few fizzles here and there. Goes down very smooth.

D: Certainly not a gulper, but it's not too strong to declare it strictly a sipper. My first glass I finished very quickly and my second glass I nursed a bit more, tasting all the nuances as it warmed.

awalk1227, Dec 01, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

poured into a tulip

A.

It is a murky dark red color. about 2 fingers worth of bubbly pink head.

S.

smells amazing. huge sweet cherries dominate the nose. A little oakiness in there as well.

T.

just as nose. Nice sweet cherry juice....a little tartness in there but balanced perfect with the sweetness.

M.

medium bodied, great carbonation level. Coats the mouth well. Not as syrupy as one would think from a fruit beer. A nice cherry aftertaste left in the mouth.

D.

very high. Only a 4.5 IMO because.

1. only available in WI. I had to trade for this
2. Might be too sugary to have more than a bottle yourself. I could drink this all night but not sure my stomach would agree with me.

cetherid, Nov 30, 2010
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Got this in a trade with Jdiddy! Raspberry Tart was very good, let's give this one a try. 22oz bottle...

A: Murky ruby red color with a nice 1 inch pink tinted head that fades quickly to a lace atop the brew. Good.

S: Super sweet cherry upfront blended with some breadiness. This is a very medicinal scented brew, but not in a bad way on this one. Kind of like Skittles and red licorice blended all together. Good.

T: A nice sweet cherry with hints of tart. A breadiness quickly follows making this taste like a cherry pie! This is very good!

M: Full bodied with a very good carbonation feel. Very clean finish. Very good.

D: Amazingly drinkable once you get past the sweetness of this one. Very good.

All in all, this is a fantastic brew. So easy to drink. This of a very well balanced cherry pie. Definitely try this once if you like fruit beers and low ABV brews.

steve8robin, Nov 28, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

A: A dark cherry red body crowned with a minimal light pink fizzy head that dissipates to island foam rather quickly.

S: Sweet tart cherries (duh!) that tickles the nose. Smells wonderful with almost a medicinal hint to it. Reminds me of Ludens cough drops, but in a good way.

T: Cherries. Cherries. Cherries. Almost a sweet/tart cherry cider with not hops of malts detected. A dry finish, but long lasting. Not a fan of fruit beers, but this is very pleasant.

M: Spritzy texture, lively carbonation, and a light body.

D: Truly enjoyed this beer. This is the first fruit beer I've really enjoyed and wished I had a second bottle. Easy to drink and amazing flavor.

BrewCrew2010, Nov 26, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks to fellow BA warnerry for sharing.

A- A hazy reddish orange liquid with a thin and splotchy pinkish-white head.

S- Cherry candy, cherry jam... there is about all I can get out of it. Very aromatic and intriguing albeit a bit simple.

T- Sweet and tart cherries. A bit medicinal, but not in a bad way.

M- Tart with a bit of lasting sourness. Pretty clean on the finish.

D- I appreciate everything that they were going for, but it is still a bit of a sipper. Simple and kind of reminded me a fruit soda. Still, it is well executed and unique.

david131, Nov 24, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up on my way to Darkness day, from Woodman's in WI.

By style:

[L] This one pours a reddish brown into tulip. An unclear beer; with an apple juice hue.

[S] Smells like a Jolly Rancher. Sweet, juicy cherries overwhelm the sense in a very pleasant way.

[T] Taste is enjoyably sweet. With more juicy cherry on the palate. Simply delightful.

[F] Mild feel, with a touch of tartness.

[D] Overall, this one deserves some serious credit. It probably is THE BEST fruit beer I may ever enjoy, as its blown away its predecessors. I would have loved to crack another 750 behind this one, but unfortunately I only picked one up. Not at all artificial, or hard to put down, as I find most fruit beers are.

3FaveryRogue, Nov 23, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to my husband, hopsbreath, who has nurtured an amazing trade relationship with zimmerbloke. In nearly every trade, zimmerbloke is sure to send a Wisconsin Belgian Red and a Rasberry Tart... Just for me ;-)

Appearance: Dark red in color.
Smell: Dark sweet cherries.
Taste: Delicious!!! This really tastes like sweet cherry juice. It is refreshing and not syrupy.
Mouthfeel: Carbonated, refreshing and clean.
Drinkability: A M A Z I N G. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

TulipSnifter, Nov 19, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Got in a trade: thanks RRC87! My first winter shipment so I had to have a cold one right out of the box. Split with my wife.

A. Pours a hazy deep red with brown and burnt orange highlights. A small off-white head rises up ever so slightly and leaves night trails of residual lacing down the glass.

S. Tart cherry with vanilla, a touch of oak, and a bit of medicinal character.

T. Tart cherries with some oaky wood character. These give way to a bit more sweetness with some vanilla and a touch of lemon juice. Ends fairly dry with just a touch of residual tartness.

M. On the light side of medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation that helps pick up the residual flavors on swallow.

D. Incredibly drinkable - I wasn't a big fan of the raspberry tart so I got these for my wife not expecting to like them too much. It looks like I'll be trading for some more of these in the near future.

BeerAndBourbon, Nov 18, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

25 oz. bottle into glass tulip.
55°F

$8.99 / ea.

A: Hazy deep garnet body with hints of brown topped with a big loose off-white head that tends toward red and quickly dissipates leaving moderate cascading lace and a thin creamy cover. Lovely.

S: Wow... Cherry pop tarts. Huge fruit aroma blended seamlessly with a baked pastry bread character. Absolutely stunning.

T: Sweet cherries, so fresh. Very light tart flavor and just the slightest hint of bread. No hop flavor, and very little aftertaste. Very well balanced, it would have been easy for this selection to become unbearably cloying. By far the best fruit beer I have ever tasted.

M: Medium body and moderate carbonation. Viscous sugar smoothness.

D: The flavor isn't something I would drink on a Saturday night at a bar, but over the holidays this is a nectar of the gods. Sublime and so easily accessible.

O: Tried this one back-to-back with Founders Cerise, and there was no competition. This represents nearly everything you could hope for in a cherry fruit beer.

dpnelson1978, Nov 16, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

A highly coveted and hard to get brew if you aren't from the right part of the country. A frequent member of my trading fleet.

This beer is highly drinkable and delicious especially considering it has a strong potential to be overly sweet and syrupy. The beer pours with a nice color and a fairly nice head. I little bit thicker than I would like but much more drinkable than many other cherry beers. I prefer it with some age over fresh and would recommend others to age this if possible (I know it is tempting to bust open).

This is a beer with a lot of hype that can commands a premium on the trade forums and actually deserves it. It deserves at least one shot.

cadaugherty, Nov 15, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to GraniteSkunk for hooking this up.

A: Pours a moderately hazy ruby, capped by a finger of frothy, faintly pink head. Retention is somewhat poor as the head dissipated fairly quickly, leaving scattered lacing atop the beer.

S: Gee, it smells like cherries...weird, right? Sweet, dark cherries out front, not unlike what you'd find in black cherry ice cream, along with some light tart cherries, a faint medicinal quality, and some vanilla and oak character around the edges.

T: Sweet, dark cherries are up front with an extremely juicy quality, but that's quickly balanced by tart cherries with light to moderate lactic acidity. Oak, vanilla and light lemon xest come in on the mid-palate, while some very light spices come in near the backend to complement the sweet cherries. Finish has components of sweet and lightly tart cherries along with hints of vanilla.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation, feels very lively on the tongue.

D: Incredibly drinkable, I'd be a happy camper if I could drink several glasses of this.

Xul, Nov 13, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into an oversized snifter.

Appearance- Pours a deep amber, when held to the light, some ruby red grapefruit colors. Two finger off white head. Good lace.

Smell- Freshly picked cherries. Smells good, but very one note.

Taste- Dark cherries again... Suprise! A bit of oak influence on the finish. Not syrupy or artificial like some other fruit beers. Sweet but not cloying.

Mouthfeel- medium body and carbonation. I thought it was going to be spritzy, but it is thankfully not.

Overall- Not much to review, pretty straightforward, and pretty tasty.

Edit: Share this with a friend or two, I made the mistake of opening this up by myself. About half way through it feels like it is ripping the enamel off my teeth. It is great, but I wouldnt want to try to drink this bottle alone again!

JLeege, Nov 13, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Presentation: Capped and waxed bottle poured into a Smuttnose tulip glass. Served at room temperature and split with two friends.

Appearance: Ruby red to crimson in color with not much head. No sediment in the glass at all.

Aroma: Nice balance of sweet and tart cherries with the sweet notes really taking center stage. Really bright and fruity and avoids being medicianal or artificial.

Taste: Much like the aroma, the cherries are the main attraction. Really nice balance of sweetness and tartness. Approachable for anyone, yet not cloying.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smoooth. Realtively crisp, but not overcarbonated by any means.

Overall, a fruit beer that really is so much more. Immensely enjoyable for me and approachable for anyone. A really nice beer that lives up to the hype.

Gosox8787, Nov 11, 2010