Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,025
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up on my way to Darkness day, from Woodman's in WI.

By style:

[L] This one pours a reddish brown into tulip. An unclear beer; with an apple juice hue.

[S] Smells like a Jolly Rancher. Sweet, juicy cherries overwhelm the sense in a very pleasant way.

[T] Taste is enjoyably sweet. With more juicy cherry on the palate. Simply delightful.

[F] Mild feel, with a touch of tartness.

[D] Overall, this one deserves some serious credit. It probably is THE BEST fruit beer I may ever enjoy, as its blown away its predecessors. I would have loved to crack another 750 behind this one, but unfortunately I only picked one up. Not at all artificial, or hard to put down, as I find most fruit beers are.

3FaveryRogue, Nov 23, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to my husband, hopsbreath, who has nurtured an amazing trade relationship with zimmerbloke. In nearly every trade, zimmerbloke is sure to send a Wisconsin Belgian Red and a Rasberry Tart... Just for me ;-)

Appearance: Dark red in color.
Smell: Dark sweet cherries.
Taste: Delicious!!! This really tastes like sweet cherry juice. It is refreshing and not syrupy.
Mouthfeel: Carbonated, refreshing and clean.
Drinkability: A M A Z I N G. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

TulipSnifter, Nov 19, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Got in a trade: thanks RRC87! My first winter shipment so I had to have a cold one right out of the box. Split with my wife.

A. Pours a hazy deep red with brown and burnt orange highlights. A small off-white head rises up ever so slightly and leaves night trails of residual lacing down the glass.

S. Tart cherry with vanilla, a touch of oak, and a bit of medicinal character.

T. Tart cherries with some oaky wood character. These give way to a bit more sweetness with some vanilla and a touch of lemon juice. Ends fairly dry with just a touch of residual tartness.

M. On the light side of medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation that helps pick up the residual flavors on swallow.

D. Incredibly drinkable - I wasn't a big fan of the raspberry tart so I got these for my wife not expecting to like them too much. It looks like I'll be trading for some more of these in the near future.

BeerAndBourbon, Nov 18, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

25 oz. bottle into glass tulip.
55°F

$8.99 / ea.

A: Hazy deep garnet body with hints of brown topped with a big loose off-white head that tends toward red and quickly dissipates leaving moderate cascading lace and a thin creamy cover. Lovely.

S: Wow... Cherry pop tarts. Huge fruit aroma blended seamlessly with a baked pastry bread character. Absolutely stunning.

T: Sweet cherries, so fresh. Very light tart flavor and just the slightest hint of bread. No hop flavor, and very little aftertaste. Very well balanced, it would have been easy for this selection to become unbearably cloying. By far the best fruit beer I have ever tasted.

M: Medium body and moderate carbonation. Viscous sugar smoothness.

D: The flavor isn't something I would drink on a Saturday night at a bar, but over the holidays this is a nectar of the gods. Sublime and so easily accessible.

O: Tried this one back-to-back with Founders Cerise, and there was no competition. This represents nearly everything you could hope for in a cherry fruit beer.

dpnelson1978, Nov 16, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

A highly coveted and hard to get brew if you aren't from the right part of the country. A frequent member of my trading fleet.

This beer is highly drinkable and delicious especially considering it has a strong potential to be overly sweet and syrupy. The beer pours with a nice color and a fairly nice head. I little bit thicker than I would like but much more drinkable than many other cherry beers. I prefer it with some age over fresh and would recommend others to age this if possible (I know it is tempting to bust open).

This is a beer with a lot of hype that can commands a premium on the trade forums and actually deserves it. It deserves at least one shot.

cadaugherty, Nov 15, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to GraniteSkunk for hooking this up.

A: Pours a moderately hazy ruby, capped by a finger of frothy, faintly pink head. Retention is somewhat poor as the head dissipated fairly quickly, leaving scattered lacing atop the beer.

S: Gee, it smells like cherries...weird, right? Sweet, dark cherries out front, not unlike what you'd find in black cherry ice cream, along with some light tart cherries, a faint medicinal quality, and some vanilla and oak character around the edges.

T: Sweet, dark cherries are up front with an extremely juicy quality, but that's quickly balanced by tart cherries with light to moderate lactic acidity. Oak, vanilla and light lemon xest come in on the mid-palate, while some very light spices come in near the backend to complement the sweet cherries. Finish has components of sweet and lightly tart cherries along with hints of vanilla.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation, feels very lively on the tongue.

D: Incredibly drinkable, I'd be a happy camper if I could drink several glasses of this.

Xul, Nov 13, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into an oversized snifter.

Appearance- Pours a deep amber, when held to the light, some ruby red grapefruit colors. Two finger off white head. Good lace.

Smell- Freshly picked cherries. Smells good, but very one note.

Taste- Dark cherries again... Suprise! A bit of oak influence on the finish. Not syrupy or artificial like some other fruit beers. Sweet but not cloying.

Mouthfeel- medium body and carbonation. I thought it was going to be spritzy, but it is thankfully not.

Overall- Not much to review, pretty straightforward, and pretty tasty.

Edit: Share this with a friend or two, I made the mistake of opening this up by myself. About half way through it feels like it is ripping the enamel off my teeth. It is great, but I wouldnt want to try to drink this bottle alone again!

JLeege, Nov 13, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Presentation: Capped and waxed bottle poured into a Smuttnose tulip glass. Served at room temperature and split with two friends.

Appearance: Ruby red to crimson in color with not much head. No sediment in the glass at all.

Aroma: Nice balance of sweet and tart cherries with the sweet notes really taking center stage. Really bright and fruity and avoids being medicianal or artificial.

Taste: Much like the aroma, the cherries are the main attraction. Really nice balance of sweetness and tartness. Approachable for anyone, yet not cloying.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smoooth. Realtively crisp, but not overcarbonated by any means.

Overall, a fruit beer that really is so much more. Immensely enjoyable for me and approachable for anyone. A really nice beer that lives up to the hype.

Gosox8787, Nov 11, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

After having this numerous times, finally getting around to reviewing it. Poured a reddish color into my trusty old shaker glass (yeah, I should've used a flute but what the hell?). A small head rises quickly and disapates nearly as fast, leaving a bit of lacing with plenty of tiny bubbles that might remind someone of champagne. Aromas of cherry and sweetness. On the palate, a little bit of malt and tart cherry. This is a delicious brew from Mr. Carey that is great by itself, or mixing it with a good stout and/or porter. VERY quaffable.

Schmittymack, Nov 08, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A special thanks to Deadm8 for trading this bottle to me.

Pours a slightly opaque ruby color into a duvel tulip. Light, fine bubbled two fingered pink head rises from a vigorous pour and dissapates just as quickly, leaving a collar and circle of rotating thin bubbles.

Smells of ludens cough drops and roses with a cranberry juice scented backbone. There's something medicinally offputting about this though but still it smells great.

Cherry juice hits you first, very fruity all around with a pleasant sweetness, slight tartness, and an ever so slight tannin note in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is slightly silky but a tad bit too watery, with an medium fizzy carbonation. It adds to the experience however, its like a fruit flavored spritzer almost.

I'm going to easily finish the bomber and will actively seek out another but its not exactly sessionable due to the intense fruit flavor.

STEG, Nov 06, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Pours a murky reddish color. A small film of a head forms, but recedes in a minute. Light lace is left behind.
S: Big cherries and vanilla up front. Not very complex at all, but very nice.
T: Maybe a bit simplistic. Mainly cherries with some vanilla sweetness. Good, but one dimensional.
M/D: A light body that is crisp and smooth. I wish it was a bit dryer though. Easy to drink. I can finish a bottle in not time.

I really do like this. A very nice fruit beer, but does not compare to the Raspberry Tart. Very much worth a try however.

champ103, Nov 05, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm currently licking my lips mid-glass, and tasting the beer on them. Opened this in honor of Halloween, and a Packers / Jets game. Shared it with my girlfriend and my roommate.

The appearance is maybe where I can find some fault, but honestly that might just be looking to nitpick. It appears thick and bit heady, great sustaining head. The smell just fills the nose with cherries and floral notes. Sweet. Tart. Cherries up front, puckery in the middle. Clean finish. Lovely.

Taste does a fruit beer as well as I've ever had. It's medium bodied, carbonated, feels thick. Extremely drinkable. I could have this all day.

afksports, Oct 31, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Amber red bod reminiscent of a zinfandel with a white head containing a pinkish hue.

A: Quite inviting and reminds me of canned cherry pie filling. This is going to be sweet and tart.

T: Sweetness hits immediately with a pleasant tartness on the follow-through. Reminds me of a Shirley Temple I had as a kid.

M: Medium body; nice carbonation, almost like a slightly flat cherry 7-up.

D: I was expecting to be overwhelmed with an overly sweet cherry bomb explosion in my mouth. But after a few sips, I found myself quite pleased. It's a nice change of pace from the beer world I've grown accustomed to. I think I may explore a few other fruity/sour beers in the future. Thanks to my girlfriend for sharing her bottle.

Mooch273, Oct 25, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -36.5%

from 5/28/10

I've been very excited to try this beer but deciphering the label has been difficult for me over the past several weeks. After much interweb searching, I was finally able to determine that Wisconsin was indeed part of the Anheuser-Busch sale to InBev which is why this beer can legally be called as it is.
A clear ruby pour with negligible carbonation. I want a fountain of pink foam, but there is a pitiable white dust above the clay. Cough syrup? Ny-Quil? Ahhh, no. Ludens cherry cough drops. They never worked, they were childish and sugary candies. No reward should be given for coughing! That will never ameliorate the situation. As coughing children, we should've had ginger punched into our ears. A much more likely solution to the ole coughing epidemic.
The taste, however, is not bad, heavy, heavy on the cherries with a nearly cloying sweetness and not much else. As the beer warms, it becomes more tolerable, the cherries become more lively, and the experience much more pleasant. Maybe, again.

dragonWhale, Oct 19, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: very hazy, nearly opaque burgundy, with notes of amber at the darker points and burnt orange at the lighter ones. The one-finger tan head, though creamy, sticks around only for a few seconds before receding to a thin ring and leaving some jagged latticework in its wake.

Smell: I don't think I've ever spent so much time just burying my nose in a beer. A glorious blend of maraschino and morello cherries along with a subtle tartness that reminds of cherry jolly ranchers. Exquisite.

Taste: cherries, blood orange, amaretto, lemon-lime soda, apple cider. A light tartness lingers on the tongue after each sip.

Feel: champagne-like. The moderately-carbonated beer fizzes up a little as it moves about the mouth, but holds together well for the most part. Medium, velvety body.

Drink: I wasn't a huge fan of New Glarus' other major fruit beer, Raspberry Tart, but this one is stupid-good. Glorious balance of sweet and tart, complex while still allowing the cherries to lead the show, and good-looking to boot. Hands-down, the best fruit beer I've ever had.

Phelps, Oct 19, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Bomber split with my girlfriend, poured into a snifter.

A: This beer pours amber with big ruby red hues. There is a one finger pinkish white head that has medium retention and medium lacing.

S: Intense sour cherries and a yeasty funk define this beer's nose. It's a very pleasant smell, but is not overly complex in nature.

T: Even though this tastes more like a sparkling juice than a beer, it is still delicious. This beer is sour at the start, sweet in the middle, and slightly tart at the finish. This is almost like a slightly sweeter, liquefied version of sour gummy candies. This beer also reminds me a little bit of maraschino cherries and Shirley Temples.

M: On the higher end of carbonation, but still sits very well on the tongue. Appropriate level of viscosity, and great aftertaste.

D: This beer is easy to drink, but I feel that I would get sick if I drank this too fast, or if I had more than one bottle due to the high level of residual sugar and the carbonation.

glazeman, Oct 16, 2010
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to blackhawks87 for sending this one in a trade! Poured from a bottle.

A: Crimson, hazy appearance. Nice ring of head with some lacing. Very beautiful lighter red on edges of the glass.

S: Sweet cherry pie. Awesome.

T: Cherry pie, and I think I can taste the crust on it too. Tons of sweet fruit notes, a great fruit beer!

M: Medium bodied, great carbonation, covers the palate just enough.

D: This is great, but I'm surprised it comes in large bomber format as I can easily see how this can get 'cloying' if you have too much. Basically, this is a classic 'tasting' beer.

Very nice overall!

Dreadnaught33, Oct 12, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

And so falls the last of the Man's Weekend beer acquisitions. It pours a straight cinnabar topped by about two fingers of almost pinkish ecru foam. The nose is unsurprisingly heavy on the cherries, though a furtive little vein of medicinality seeps its way through to the surface. The taste tones down the medicine and ups the sweetness a notch, making the cherries pop all the more fiercely. It's pretty damn good, baby! The body is a nice medium, with a light carbonation and a kinda syrupy feel. Overall, an extremely drinkable blast o' fruity goodness. Get some!

TMoney2591, Oct 06, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this as part of his haul while heading with a group of us to Wisconsin.

The appearance is a nice blood red color with the slightest of pinks adorning the head on the surface. Despite the cherries on the label the initial aroma that I gathered was of raspberries, and fresh ones at that. Accompanying the aroma is the sweet smell of cherry syrup. Now in describing the taste, there is basically a red fruit salad before me. Cherries, Raspberries, and hints of Strawberry to boot. The best part about the flavor of this beer in my opinion is that I actually can taste some beer maltiness behind it. That's really a pleasant surprise for me as far as the flavors are concerned. The mouthfeel is a tad too sweet for me to drink too much of but it's really a very solid fruit beer. One I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for said genre of brew.

Vdubb86, Oct 06, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I got this in a trade with a great trader and all around amazing guy BeerFMAndy. Thanks Andy! It's been a while since I've tried this and I'm glad to score another bottle. It's like pulling teeth to get NG stuff outside of Wisconsin!

I split this with a bunch of my beer nerds at a recent tasting and poured into flute glasses:

A: Pours bubbly, champagne-like, with a cherry-vanilla appearance and great head retention. This is a beer?

S: Ground up sour "Sweet Tarts", combined with melted cherry popsicle. Awesome!

T: Sour cherry upfront with vanilla as more of an afterthought. The Door County cherries taste unlike any cherries I've ever tried. The tartness doesn't linger, but merely hits you with a brief punch before coating your mouth with candy!

M: Once again, sour coating and the carbonation is divine! I couldn't drink this in very large amounts, but I'm guessing the brewers don't want you to do that anyway.

D: I can't think of any other beer in their arsenal that encapsulates NG's attention to detail and exemplifies their desire for high quality. I constantly remind myself that the beer contains no wild yeast....just plain old awesome old-fashioned brewing. Gotta love it for that!

Chaney, Oct 06, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Bottle shared by Chaney. Thanks Brandon!

Served in a champagne flute, this renowned beer appears remarkably similar to cherry juice. The color is a beautiful, vibrant ruby hue. There is about an inch of head that fades over a few moments.

The smell, which is easily detectable from a few feet away, is reminiscent of cherry pie, with the cherries being predominantly of the sweet variety.

The taste is exactly what the aroma would indicate. Cherry pie, cherry juice, cherry cobbler, cherry soda - you name it. This beer is all about the cherries.

At a mere 4% abv, the alcohol is an afterthought. The feel is pretty good, though the beer is intensely sweet.

Like a great dessert, this is best enjoyed in small quantities. After about 4 ounces, I have had my fill and the beer begins to become cloying.

Huhzubendah, Oct 05, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

A buddy of mine brought back 3 bottles for me after his last trip to WI. Split 3 ways with him and another friend. Poured into a red wine glass...

A - Pours a gorgeous, shiny ruby red color with no real head whatsoever. At times, with no light hitting it, it appears slightly brownish. Slight agitation produces a miniute fzz, but no head to speak of.

S - Sweet cherries and some slight spice to it as well. No malt or hop presence is noticeable. Most cherry aroma I've ever gotten from a brew.

T - Sour, sweet but not cloying in any way, slight spice. Like drinking a cherry pie; absolutely delicious and unlike any cherry beer I have ever had before.

M - Light body with mild carbination. Great crispness with a nice tart finish.

D - I could easily drink several of these. Not too sweet like I thought it would be and quite a nice refreshing beer to have. Would go great with desserts.

KAP1356, Sep 27, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -3%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine May 2007.

The evolution of beer took a huge step forward over ten years ago with this brew. It's unlike any other Fruit Beer to the extent that it deserves more than the Fruit Beer label. There are well over a pound of cherries in every bottle and it's lagered in oak tanks for a year. Not many American breweries are doing that now--let alone ten years ago.

Pours with a light, spritzy carbonation, and its murky burgundy color shows no light at all. Just a thin ring of lace from the fizz of the head. The aroma is heavenly: a nose full of cherries in cherry juice. Sweet-tart cherry bouquet. Underlying crispness in the slick, medium body. Big bang of cherry sweetness to start. A balanced tartness sets in with mild oak, earth and a pinch of maltiness. Layers of cherry unravel slowly to finally reach a faint biscuit finish.

One of the most complex beers in the US to date, yet still very approachable and drinkable. Excellent balance of sweetness to tartness. It's a beer worth driving to Wisconsin for, or at least finding a friend to ship you some. A mild yogurt cheddar cheese with tart apples sounds like a great pairing.

BeerAdvocate, Sep 27, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -44.7%

A: cloudy reddish brown with a quickly diminishing light tan head receding to a collar of thin lace.
S: cherry cough syrup and some woody/earthy notes.
T: cherry cough syrup and some woody earthy notes as above. medium/full sweetness, tartness and sourness equally so. these two intermingle in a long sweet and sour dark cherry finish.
M: light to medium body, much bigger than the abv would suggest, i suppose from the residual sugars. kinda slick from the remaining sugars as well.
D: was excited to try this, but somewhat let down. a darkish cherry 7-up mixed with some children's cherry cough syrup would be an apt comparison. hopefully this review (with it's high rDev and low score on a high rated beer) won't get deleted.

MrMcGibblets, Sep 27, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to LeviFunk for this
A: a rudy, ruby color, with hints of brown along the edges. no head, no sense of carbonation
S: like Neil Diamond sings "cherry cherry"
T: well, is is pretty obvious - cherry pie, or turnovers cherries from the summer, or that cherry juice drink you had as a kids. This fruit is the star in the brew, and it is a good thing. A solid measure of tartness is present here too. Little bit (very little) of Belgian spice for good measure
M: heavier then expected, but not a bad thing
D: high. just really solid, and a low ABV

PSUDREW, Sep 27, 2010