Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,024
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Pours a murky reddish color. A small film of a head forms, but recedes in a minute. Light lace is left behind.
S: Big cherries and vanilla up front. Not very complex at all, but very nice.
T: Maybe a bit simplistic. Mainly cherries with some vanilla sweetness. Good, but one dimensional.
M/D: A light body that is crisp and smooth. I wish it was a bit dryer though. Easy to drink. I can finish a bottle in not time.

I really do like this. A very nice fruit beer, but does not compare to the Raspberry Tart. Very much worth a try however.

champ103, Nov 05, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm currently licking my lips mid-glass, and tasting the beer on them. Opened this in honor of Halloween, and a Packers / Jets game. Shared it with my girlfriend and my roommate.

The appearance is maybe where I can find some fault, but honestly that might just be looking to nitpick. It appears thick and bit heady, great sustaining head. The smell just fills the nose with cherries and floral notes. Sweet. Tart. Cherries up front, puckery in the middle. Clean finish. Lovely.

Taste does a fruit beer as well as I've ever had. It's medium bodied, carbonated, feels thick. Extremely drinkable. I could have this all day.

afksports, Oct 31, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Amber red bod reminiscent of a zinfandel with a white head containing a pinkish hue.

A: Quite inviting and reminds me of canned cherry pie filling. This is going to be sweet and tart.

T: Sweetness hits immediately with a pleasant tartness on the follow-through. Reminds me of a Shirley Temple I had as a kid.

M: Medium body; nice carbonation, almost like a slightly flat cherry 7-up.

D: I was expecting to be overwhelmed with an overly sweet cherry bomb explosion in my mouth. But after a few sips, I found myself quite pleased. It's a nice change of pace from the beer world I've grown accustomed to. I think I may explore a few other fruity/sour beers in the future. Thanks to my girlfriend for sharing her bottle.

Mooch273, Oct 25, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -36.5%

from 5/28/10

I've been very excited to try this beer but deciphering the label has been difficult for me over the past several weeks. After much interweb searching, I was finally able to determine that Wisconsin was indeed part of the Anheuser-Busch sale to InBev which is why this beer can legally be called as it is.
A clear ruby pour with negligible carbonation. I want a fountain of pink foam, but there is a pitiable white dust above the clay. Cough syrup? Ny-Quil? Ahhh, no. Ludens cherry cough drops. They never worked, they were childish and sugary candies. No reward should be given for coughing! That will never ameliorate the situation. As coughing children, we should've had ginger punched into our ears. A much more likely solution to the ole coughing epidemic.
The taste, however, is not bad, heavy, heavy on the cherries with a nearly cloying sweetness and not much else. As the beer warms, it becomes more tolerable, the cherries become more lively, and the experience much more pleasant. Maybe, again.

dragonWhale, Oct 19, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: very hazy, nearly opaque burgundy, with notes of amber at the darker points and burnt orange at the lighter ones. The one-finger tan head, though creamy, sticks around only for a few seconds before receding to a thin ring and leaving some jagged latticework in its wake.

Smell: I don't think I've ever spent so much time just burying my nose in a beer. A glorious blend of maraschino and morello cherries along with a subtle tartness that reminds of cherry jolly ranchers. Exquisite.

Taste: cherries, blood orange, amaretto, lemon-lime soda, apple cider. A light tartness lingers on the tongue after each sip.

Feel: champagne-like. The moderately-carbonated beer fizzes up a little as it moves about the mouth, but holds together well for the most part. Medium, velvety body.

Drink: I wasn't a huge fan of New Glarus' other major fruit beer, Raspberry Tart, but this one is stupid-good. Glorious balance of sweet and tart, complex while still allowing the cherries to lead the show, and good-looking to boot. Hands-down, the best fruit beer I've ever had.

Phelps, Oct 19, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Bomber split with my girlfriend, poured into a snifter.

A: This beer pours amber with big ruby red hues. There is a one finger pinkish white head that has medium retention and medium lacing.

S: Intense sour cherries and a yeasty funk define this beer's nose. It's a very pleasant smell, but is not overly complex in nature.

T: Even though this tastes more like a sparkling juice than a beer, it is still delicious. This beer is sour at the start, sweet in the middle, and slightly tart at the finish. This is almost like a slightly sweeter, liquefied version of sour gummy candies. This beer also reminds me a little bit of maraschino cherries and Shirley Temples.

M: On the higher end of carbonation, but still sits very well on the tongue. Appropriate level of viscosity, and great aftertaste.

D: This beer is easy to drink, but I feel that I would get sick if I drank this too fast, or if I had more than one bottle due to the high level of residual sugar and the carbonation.

glazeman, Oct 16, 2010
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to blackhawks87 for sending this one in a trade! Poured from a bottle.

A: Crimson, hazy appearance. Nice ring of head with some lacing. Very beautiful lighter red on edges of the glass.

S: Sweet cherry pie. Awesome.

T: Cherry pie, and I think I can taste the crust on it too. Tons of sweet fruit notes, a great fruit beer!

M: Medium bodied, great carbonation, covers the palate just enough.

D: This is great, but I'm surprised it comes in large bomber format as I can easily see how this can get 'cloying' if you have too much. Basically, this is a classic 'tasting' beer.

Very nice overall!

Dreadnaught33, Oct 12, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

And so falls the last of the Man's Weekend beer acquisitions. It pours a straight cinnabar topped by about two fingers of almost pinkish ecru foam. The nose is unsurprisingly heavy on the cherries, though a furtive little vein of medicinality seeps its way through to the surface. The taste tones down the medicine and ups the sweetness a notch, making the cherries pop all the more fiercely. It's pretty damn good, baby! The body is a nice medium, with a light carbonation and a kinda syrupy feel. Overall, an extremely drinkable blast o' fruity goodness. Get some!

TMoney2591, Oct 06, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this as part of his haul while heading with a group of us to Wisconsin.

The appearance is a nice blood red color with the slightest of pinks adorning the head on the surface. Despite the cherries on the label the initial aroma that I gathered was of raspberries, and fresh ones at that. Accompanying the aroma is the sweet smell of cherry syrup. Now in describing the taste, there is basically a red fruit salad before me. Cherries, Raspberries, and hints of Strawberry to boot. The best part about the flavor of this beer in my opinion is that I actually can taste some beer maltiness behind it. That's really a pleasant surprise for me as far as the flavors are concerned. The mouthfeel is a tad too sweet for me to drink too much of but it's really a very solid fruit beer. One I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for said genre of brew.

Vdubb86, Oct 06, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I got this in a trade with a great trader and all around amazing guy BeerFMAndy. Thanks Andy! It's been a while since I've tried this and I'm glad to score another bottle. It's like pulling teeth to get NG stuff outside of Wisconsin!

I split this with a bunch of my beer nerds at a recent tasting and poured into flute glasses:

A: Pours bubbly, champagne-like, with a cherry-vanilla appearance and great head retention. This is a beer?

S: Ground up sour "Sweet Tarts", combined with melted cherry popsicle. Awesome!

T: Sour cherry upfront with vanilla as more of an afterthought. The Door County cherries taste unlike any cherries I've ever tried. The tartness doesn't linger, but merely hits you with a brief punch before coating your mouth with candy!

M: Once again, sour coating and the carbonation is divine! I couldn't drink this in very large amounts, but I'm guessing the brewers don't want you to do that anyway.

D: I can't think of any other beer in their arsenal that encapsulates NG's attention to detail and exemplifies their desire for high quality. I constantly remind myself that the beer contains no wild yeast....just plain old awesome old-fashioned brewing. Gotta love it for that!

Chaney, Oct 06, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Bottle shared by Chaney. Thanks Brandon!

Served in a champagne flute, this renowned beer appears remarkably similar to cherry juice. The color is a beautiful, vibrant ruby hue. There is about an inch of head that fades over a few moments.

The smell, which is easily detectable from a few feet away, is reminiscent of cherry pie, with the cherries being predominantly of the sweet variety.

The taste is exactly what the aroma would indicate. Cherry pie, cherry juice, cherry cobbler, cherry soda - you name it. This beer is all about the cherries.

At a mere 4% abv, the alcohol is an afterthought. The feel is pretty good, though the beer is intensely sweet.

Like a great dessert, this is best enjoyed in small quantities. After about 4 ounces, I have had my fill and the beer begins to become cloying.

Huhzubendah, Oct 05, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

A buddy of mine brought back 3 bottles for me after his last trip to WI. Split 3 ways with him and another friend. Poured into a red wine glass...

A - Pours a gorgeous, shiny ruby red color with no real head whatsoever. At times, with no light hitting it, it appears slightly brownish. Slight agitation produces a miniute fzz, but no head to speak of.

S - Sweet cherries and some slight spice to it as well. No malt or hop presence is noticeable. Most cherry aroma I've ever gotten from a brew.

T - Sour, sweet but not cloying in any way, slight spice. Like drinking a cherry pie; absolutely delicious and unlike any cherry beer I have ever had before.

M - Light body with mild carbination. Great crispness with a nice tart finish.

D - I could easily drink several of these. Not too sweet like I thought it would be and quite a nice refreshing beer to have. Would go great with desserts.

KAP1356, Sep 27, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -3%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine May 2007.

The evolution of beer took a huge step forward over ten years ago with this brew. It's unlike any other Fruit Beer to the extent that it deserves more than the Fruit Beer label. There are well over a pound of cherries in every bottle and it's lagered in oak tanks for a year. Not many American breweries are doing that now--let alone ten years ago.

Pours with a light, spritzy carbonation, and its murky burgundy color shows no light at all. Just a thin ring of lace from the fizz of the head. The aroma is heavenly: a nose full of cherries in cherry juice. Sweet-tart cherry bouquet. Underlying crispness in the slick, medium body. Big bang of cherry sweetness to start. A balanced tartness sets in with mild oak, earth and a pinch of maltiness. Layers of cherry unravel slowly to finally reach a faint biscuit finish.

One of the most complex beers in the US to date, yet still very approachable and drinkable. Excellent balance of sweetness to tartness. It's a beer worth driving to Wisconsin for, or at least finding a friend to ship you some. A mild yogurt cheddar cheese with tart apples sounds like a great pairing.

BeerAdvocate, Sep 27, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -44.7%

A: cloudy reddish brown with a quickly diminishing light tan head receding to a collar of thin lace.
S: cherry cough syrup and some woody/earthy notes.
T: cherry cough syrup and some woody earthy notes as above. medium/full sweetness, tartness and sourness equally so. these two intermingle in a long sweet and sour dark cherry finish.
M: light to medium body, much bigger than the abv would suggest, i suppose from the residual sugars. kinda slick from the remaining sugars as well.
D: was excited to try this, but somewhat let down. a darkish cherry 7-up mixed with some children's cherry cough syrup would be an apt comparison. hopefully this review (with it's high rDev and low score on a high rated beer) won't get deleted.

MrMcGibblets, Sep 27, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to LeviFunk for this
A: a rudy, ruby color, with hints of brown along the edges. no head, no sense of carbonation
S: like Neil Diamond sings "cherry cherry"
T: well, is is pretty obvious - cherry pie, or turnovers cherries from the summer, or that cherry juice drink you had as a kids. This fruit is the star in the brew, and it is a good thing. A solid measure of tartness is present here too. Little bit (very little) of Belgian spice for good measure
M: heavier then expected, but not a bad thing
D: high. just really solid, and a low ABV

PSUDREW, Sep 27, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours tomato red with a hairs length of foam on top which never leaves. Decent lacing, with tons of minuscule bubbles that play around the top when swirled.

Smells of fruit punch, cherries, cherries and more cherries.

This is an interesting beer. It is very hard to describe, there are of course the sweet cherries, acidic carbonation. Then there is this earthy quality, herbs, floral bits, perhaps vegetables come through along with a touch of sour. I suppose this just isn't my type of beer but it tastes too sweet and off-balance to me, like a cherry flavored soda or exotic mixed drink - which taste fine but aren't particularly appealing to me in a beer. Not gonna lie - reminds me of a higher quality, more subtle Mike's hard lemonade.

No alcohol detected. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, with a touch of syrupy sweetness.

Drinkability is no good on this one, maybe if I was a child drooling for candy, but after a while this makes one sick. I'll revisit this again sometime but it's not too appealing to me as of now.

ptykozoon, Sep 27, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

I've wanted this for a long time. Not disappointed.

A- Dark red-to-brown. Decent inch high head into a flute. Dissipates quickly.

S- Small cherry and biscuit.

T- Most profound cherry flavor balanced with some malt and yeast.

M- A bit heavier than I expected but the body is welcomed. Would be excellent paired with a dessert cheese plate.

D- So drinkable. Sweet but not cloyingly so.

telecomz, Sep 26, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Acquired this beer from dunt via Support Your Local Team BIF so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!

A: This beer pours a very light reddish, brown color with one finger of sudsy almost rose colored head. Head recedes rapidly and leaves sticky spider webbed lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is of extremely sweet candied cherries. Somewhat like a chocolate covered cherry.

T: Taste starts with a nice sweet candied cherry flavoring. Taste then moves in to an almost chocolate covered cherry flavoring before a nice tartness comes in and really holds through the finish.

M: Light bodied, medium carbonation, nice crisp with a dry finish.

D: Goes down ridiculously easy, not too filling, mild kick, this is a great beer that I could have again and again.

Jayli, Sep 23, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle into a snifter.

A: Certainly a nice reddish hue, but there's enough transparent, malty brown to qualify this as beer. Very carbonated, with a pop-like fizziness. Head dies down quickly to a thin white head.

S: Cherry, cinnamon, clove. No bitterness, and next to no malt on the nose.

T: Sour, sweet, spicy, and with a bit of biscuity barley in the end. Agree with the earlier reviews--cherry pie and Christmas-y flavors abound. I don't think it's too overwhelming, but I'm a bit of a NG fanboy, and I really like cherries, beer, and cherries in beer.

M: A very nice carbonated zip, and otherwise, a light feel to the beer. Not a thin beer by any means, despite the low ABV, but far from a full feeling. The taste lingers on the tongue everywhere except the bitter back end.

D: Too sweet for session quaffing, of course, and certainly a nicer dessert or pairing beer.

Overall, this is easily one of the better fruit beers out there. Number 1? There are some poorly-executed cherry beers out there, and this trumps them. I'm glad this is a pretty regular NG offering, but perhaps its rank is just a bit high--but only a bit.

wschmit, Sep 22, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared a 750ml. poured into flute. From notes.
A: A hazy body, that is ruby red in color. A red nose, retreats into a faint layer. No lacing left on glass.
S: Like diving into a bowl of fresh cherries, or the sensation of s mashing a pound of cherries. Undertones of barley are also present.
T/M: As far as Fruit beer goes and cherries for that matter, this is the cats meow. Smooth mouthfeel, with great amount of carbonation. Nice layering of cherries, with a bit of an acidic finish. Much like a Belgian sour with no sour undertones, mainly sweet and amazing.
D: This is the most drinkable brew around, I find is light and enjoyable and could drink a bottle to the dome each day. But slightly pricey and needs some traveling to get. If you could pick this one up in every bottle shop in America then a full 5.0 would be granted.
Notes: A friend was having an un-named cherry brew and told me she is looking for the perfect cherry beer, but has not yet to find it. I reply with "finish your glass and we're going to my place, I have got what you are looking for." Needless to say, now she has found a new cherry favorite. Another friend of the family does not drink beer, but when we insisted she try this one, she had a glass. This is a beer (lack of better words) that can get people into sour beers and who know into what from there on.
Cheers and New Glarus this one is a staple.

GDBEERMAN, Sep 17, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

750ml bottle into a snifter. Had to have this in several sittings, as noted below. Courtesy of RTrain12 (thanks Ryan!).

A - Looks like fetid pond water. No head, and no lacing. Just a weird, cloudy, reddish-brown. It may be one of the worst-looking beers I've ever seen, which seems out of place for a beer of this quality. I absolutely do not understand all the high ratings for appearance for this beer. Luckily, it gets better.

S - Unsurprisingly, cherries are everywhere. Somehow sweet and tart at the same time.

T - Wow, this is delicious. Tart cherries are dominant, and maybe a hint of apples lurking in the background, but that's it. Like a liquid Luden's cough drop. It begins tart, then becomes sweet, and then back to tart on the finish. There's really not much more to say about it other than that. Somewhat one-dimensional, but it handles that one dimension SO well. The alcohol, although there's not much to begin with, is not noticeable in any way.

M - Medium bodied, with a fairly short finish. Perfect carbonation.

D - The cherries definitely got to me after a couple of glasses. I had to drink this over the course of two days, as there was no way I could go through an entire 750 in one sitting. While the flavor is nice, it can just be too much of a good thing.

O - Very glad I got the chance to try this. I could see it as a fantastic dessert beer, but it would definitely have to be split among the entire table.

djmichaelk, Sep 16, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

A big thanks to Kyle & Mark for bringing me this gem!

Dark, cherry russet brown with a creamy pink tinted tan head that settles slow and leaves sheets of lace on the glass. The aroma is stunning.. big cherries, and not artificial cough syrupy cherry either, more like a freshly baked cherry pie with mildly toasted oak. Velvety smooth tart cherry flavors with a soft, caramelized oakiness. Full bodied and creamy with seltzery carbonation. Finishes sticky. This is really nice, proof that great beer can be under 5% ABV.

biggred1, Sep 15, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle served into a mason jar

Sorry for the "quick hits" reviews tonight; I could only take so many notes at this tasting. I'll be back to long reviews next time.

Pours a slightly hazy cranberry color. The finger's worth of pink head dissipates quickly. Not much lacing to speak of. This looks like what is smells and tastes like; there's something to be said for that.

One expects this beer to smell like cherries. It does. Lots of ripe cherries and cherry puree. Not tart on the nose. A very small amount of funk. Maybe a little spice.

The beer doesn't taste exactly like the nose. For one, the cherries are more tart on the tongue. Secondly, there are a lot of spices in this beer. Holiday spices; I search for a flavor but what my mind calls forth are holidays: Thanksgiving and Christmas. Some malt taste way behind all the cherry. Many reviewers say "cherry pie" is what this beer tastes like. They're pretty much right.

Light body. Nice, active carbonation. This is a very drinkable fruit beer. It isn't all sweetness all the time like a lot of the beers of the style can be. Plus, it is only 4% ABV!

This is the same beer as Raspberry Tart, only with cherries. They have similar malt profiles and similar levels of spices. If you like one then you will like the other. And trust me: you will like one.

Reaper16, Sep 12, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

Huge thanks to zimmerbloke for the bottle! 750 mL waxed bottle into my trusty DFH signature glass.

A- Dark ruby red into brown with a fizzy off-white head. Quickly dissipates into a thin film.

S- Huge, heavenly tart cherry aroma. A little biscuity malt in the background, but mostly wet, juicy cherry.

T- Oh man. I may be biased, as cherry is one of my favorite flavors, but this is incredible. Big, wet, authentic cherry taste, balanced with a little spice and some biscuit malt. Tastes like a cherry pie.

M- Thin and fizzy, which works perfectly for a beer like this.

D- Can I give it a 6? This goes down so easily, and at 4%, I don't feel so guilty enjoying the whole bottle.

This stuff is phenomenal. One of all-time big wants since I started on BA, and no disappointment here. I could drink this everyday and be happy. So good.

geryeb624, Sep 12, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to Nappie for hooking me up with a bottle of this!

Poured into New Glarus flutes.

Pours a murky, dark red. Very small pinkish head. Smells like cherries, I should say like real cherries, wow. Taste is cherries, tart cherries, kind of like a homemade cherry pie, very, very good! Mouthfeel and drinkability are exceptional on this one. This beer lives up to all of it's hype. My girlfriend and I got done this bottle and just sat there, sad that we couldn't just go and buy another one. I would LOVE to get more of this and try pairing it up with some desserts and maybe some entrees. Seek this beer out!

Lukafer, Sep 04, 2010