Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,036
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev -13.2%

My wife and I had this alongside with the Raspberry Tart.

It is a reddish brown in my glass with sticky lacing and some red/pinkness as I swirl my glass. Almost reminds me of apple cider with cherries.

Oh lord - this is a cherry bomb. Cherries and cherries dominate. There's a sour tartness and very fruity taste to it. I don't really get a sense of other flavors but that's because it's supposed to be cherries.

Had this out of the bottle on Friday night, celebrating the finishing of college. Thanks erocks for the trade, much appreciated! The carbonation is very present and the mouthfeel is a bit sticky and thick. It's a good beer but I'd pair this up with something sweet for food so it feels balanced.

We preferred this beer over the Raspberry Tart which seemed a bit dryer when swallowing.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Eye: Murky red going brown in the glass. No head formation or retention. Still looks good though in the glass.

Nose: Strong sour cherry aroma. Very nice. Not cloyingly sweet smelling like many beers that use cherry or other fruits. Its not just cherry either, its like I get the entire cherry, from the fruit itself to the stem to the pit and even almost to the tree.

Tongue: Slightly tart and sour, big cherry tones with some soda-like qualities. This kinda reminds me of what a fermented cherry wine would taste like but less forward with the cherry, less alcohol, presence of carbonation, and a touch of sweetness with more acidity than a fruit wine. Some oaky tones come through as well. Not sour or tart or sticky sweet as many of the bigger named and more popular fruit lambics.

Feel and Drinkability: Spritzy and fine carbonation, almost like it burns, it attacks the palate and fills the mouth in a most pleasing way....but not like soda and yet it doesn't interfere with the beer's flavor. Body is a bit heavier than I expected, medium in body going toward heavy. Very champagne like. This is one that I'd regularly celebrate with if only I could get my hands on it.

4.03/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: Hazy red-pink with a pinkish head and lacing that is sticky and wavy. Looks unlike much other beer I've ever had, and I really fail to see where the beer is in the appearance, but it still looks quite nice.

Smell: Very, very cherry. Sweet, sour, puckering cherry. Sugars still seem pretty present, and quite heavy in the fruity aroma. Wow, no hop presence nor any real maltiness, either, just fresh, flavorful cherries.

Taste: Identical to the smell, except more soda-like than beer. If I had not known better, I'd swear this is a cherry soda with no alcohol and certainly no hops. They just aren't there. Sour but not over-the-top, very sweet, and highly intense cherry flavors. I know this is the style, but man this is a very sweet beer, and it's tough to remember that it is, indeed, beer.

Mouthfeel: A little too syrupy for my liking, but also effervescently carbonated, a little too much so. It was like carbonated cherry syrup, which made it feel more soda-like once again. It could actually be a little scaled back and probably still be okay, but still, the sourness covers a lot of ground and makes up for a lot of that by giving a distinct and memorable mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Not excellent, for me anyway. Too sweet to really be consumer en masse, but not bad, either. Paired with the right dessert, I'm sure it's exquisite, and with the right lady, I'm sure it's even more so. An experience for sure, and worth trying.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Enjoying this while listening to the Brewing Network on a rainy Sunday night.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Hennepin tulip cloudy and deep crimson amber in color. A small white head forms on top and shrinks immediately to a tiny collar with a few straggling patches.

SMELL: Sweet cherry with a hint of tartness and a trace of cough syrupy bitterness. Not a whole lot of base beer getting through, but that's ok since this cherry aroma is so nice.

TASTE: The cherry stays sweet and soda-like the entire time, but here in the taste the base beer is allowed to come through a bit. It's slight caramelly with maybe even a hint of chocolate. It's hard to believe this a beer, but it is. And it's delicious.

MOUTHFEEL: Slightly slick and syrupy with a medium body. Carbonation is on the lower side of average.

DRINKABILITY: It's delicious and I'll gladly finish the bottle, but it really is pretty sweet. This should last me the better part of the night though, and for that I'm grateful.

A shining beacon for fruit beers in an sea of otherwise extract-laden crap. I don't know how they do these, but the beer world would be a better place if more people knew.

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Standard pour yields a 2 finger coarse whitish-pink, fluffy head with moderate retention.Brew is semi-clear red. Lacig is spotty and stringy.

S: Nose is overwhelming, musty candied cherry juice. Very clean and pronounced.

T: Opens a musky, subdued earthy cherry. Mild cinnamon brown sugar, slightly tart, and quite sweet throughout. Some other type of red fruit syrup is apparent towards the end. Finishes with cherry tartness that lingers long after the beer does.

M: Medium bodied and very smooth. Rather silky for the style with a clean, watery finish that almost stains the inside of the mouth.

D: Fuller bodied than most other fruit beers which really works here. A bit more complex and the silkiness ties all the flavors together. Deserving of the hype in its style.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip, thanks to alcstradamus for sending this to me for FREE!

Pours a bright yet dirty red with a small one finger head that quickly dissipates. Little to no lacing as the beer is drank.

Smells likes cherries with a hint of Belgian tart/sour/funk, and an even less present smell of oak.

Taste was fresh, real cherries with a bit of tartness to it. The oak could barely be tasted.

Mouthfeel was good. Spritzy and light with some stickyness to it due to the sugars.

Drinkability is very good on this one. Refreshing, low ABV and great flavor. Yum!

A great beer, one that I hope to have again. New Glarus definitely has their ducks in a row when it comes to these fruity tart beers!

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured with a reddish hue which was expected given the amount of cherries added.

Poured with a white, fine head that tended to settle quickly.

Strong cherry aroma immediately and dominated the odor. Slight hint of tartness or sour behind the cherries was evident and pleasant.

Sweet, cherry, effervescent beer that was quite refreshing. Beer is light on sour/tartness and tends to lean more towards a sweet, dry finish.

Medium body, high level of carbonation.

Great beer that I look forward to enjoying again.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Traded with justn. Split two ways and poured into large flute glass.

A- Deep red cherry color. Gorgeous off-white rocky head with nice retention. Lacing all the way down the flute looks great.

S- Cherries, cherry cough drops (Ludens), wheat and chocolate. No identifiable hops or barley, pure fruit beer.

T- Are there cherries actually in the bottle? Cherry medicine, with a bit of tartness, but not sour. Again, no hop or barley character. The taste really sticks between sips. Maybe a bit more dry and this would be incredible.

M- Much more body than I expected. Silky, with a tingle of carbonation.

D- For such a strong cherry flavor, extremely drinkable. I wish I didn't split the bottle.

Great fruit beer. Its nice to have a pure fruit beer and not a beer with fruit. A little drier and more carbonation and this would be perfect.

Appearance - Dark, off-red. Initial short off-white head quickly dissipates into a short film.

Smell - Moderate aroma of authentic cherries. Sweet, but not cloying.

Taste - Starts moderately sweet then turns nicely tart. Straight from the orchard cherry flavor - nothing artificial about tasting here. Reminds me of the summer cherry picking sessions in Wisconsin's Door County of my youth.

Mouthfeel - Light and well-carbonated.

Drinkability - Fruit beers are, for me, generally a fairly unimpressive category. New Glarus does these right, though. Really captures the essence of the fruit.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Pours a dirty reddish brown. On the first pour there was a significant oxidized pinkish head, but it reduced quickly and was never really seen again on the successive pours. Reduced to nothingness - not even a surface coating. No lacing.

S: Oddly, this has a huge cranberry nose. Smells like some sort of sweet candy.

T: The cherry flavor returns in a big way. Actually, that is really the only flavor I get out of this beer. Aside from the copious amounts of cherry flavor, there isn't much else going on.

M: Medium with medium carbonation. A very quick finish.

D: I found this beer impressive, though I've got to admit I think it takes more like fermented cherry juice than it does like beer. Being sweet and loaded with cherry flavor, I found this one to be a very easy drinker. However, being sweet and loaded with cherry flavor, I don't think I'll be making this a regular beer anytime soon.

2.65/5  rDev -39.5%

Been wanting to try this, I do like cherries and Founders Cerise is a beer I enjoy. Had it with a monster tasting of the New Glarus fruit beers.

Pours a darker pink. white head. looks like what I expected a fruity cherry beer to look.
Good carbonation.

Smell is a little off-putting. given reviews thusfar, was hoping for a rich, real cherry vibe. literally smelled like cough syrup or some sort of cherry flavored medicine to my nose.

taste backed up the smell. too sweet. medicinal fake cherries dominate. Compared to the Cran-bic (excellent) and the Raspberry tart (decent), this beer rated the lowest.

Mouthfeel was fine for a medicinal oversweetened cherry beer.

Move along, this isn't the fruit/cherry beer you're looking for. I'm certainly surprised at the ratings around these parts.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle. Pours a muddy red-brown with a small wispy head that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet cherries, slightly tart with some wood.

The flavor is sweet yet tart cherries and wood with a dry slightly sweet finish. The mouthfeel is full and smooth with velvety carbonation.

Overall, it's kind of one-dimensional (cherry!), but I liked this a lot.

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

bottle poured into a wine glass. pours a rich and vibrant ruby red color with minimal pink head that leaves no lacings. artificial looking in the glass as far as color goes.

aroma is of fresh maraschino cherries with a very light acidity and a touch of sweetness in the background. very fruity in the nose.

taste is rich with cherries and a mild sweetness along with a vinous base and light tartness on the back end. nicely proportioned with a light acidity on the back end as well. overall, this is a pleasant brew for those who like cherries.

mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with an attractive quality and a lightly tart finish.

drinkability is good. the brew is pleasant and drinkable; the only complaint here is that it could be less sweet and a bit more acidic or tart. oh well.

2.17/5  rDev -50.5%

Got this as an extra in a trade from TPatuto. Thanks giving me the opportunity to try this!

One of the bottles from New Glarus I was looking forward to opening on Thanksgiving.

This beer was a dark cherry color. I was expecting maybe a fiery red but the beer was kind of dark. My nose was engulfed in a storm of black cherries. That's about all I could smell. Not even a hint to it being a beer. I would think this is just black cherry soda.

The taste was very sweet. In fact, I thought it was way too sweet and a strong black cherry flavor overpowered the beer. There was a slight ketchup taste that I find in flemish sours. It was very hard to get through the bottle by myself. By the end I was in celebration that I was able to finish it.

I feel their Raspberry Tart is a much better fruit beer than this one.

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

I'm really impressed with this one. I poured it out and I could already smell the fresh cherries! It looks like a Belgian dubbel, but with a bit more burgundy color to it--decent off-white head that fades to wisps on the surface of the beer. Aroma is outrageous--straight fresh cherries! It tastes pretty amazing too, with big sweet and tart cherry flavors, followed by a spicy wheat/malt backbone with some cinnamon spice. It tastes almost exactly like cherry pie. A fantastic cherry beer here, medium mouthfeel, creamy carbonation. My only complaint is that it is a bit too sweet for me, definitely tough to move through the whole bomber, but a great beer to share with friends after a meal.

FANTASTIC! The aroma is full of ripe, sweet cherries with a hint of malt. The flavor is absolutely full of cherry flavor perfectly balanced with a wonderful malt/wheat backbone that makes it taste like a fresh cherry pie, including subtle spices that remind you of cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top. One of my favorite beers!

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

Light red with a solid white head that dissipates fast. The color is unlike anything I've ever seen, and this makes the mouth water.

Nose is a powerhouse of cherries without any cloying sweetness, and a malt backbone so you know this is not just cherry juice.

Outstanding balance between the cherry and malt backbone, notes of deep stone fruit. If this is not a beer I don't know what is. Might be my favorite based on the clean cherry malt flavor, unmistably balanced perfectly. What a beer.

Light mouthfeel with good carbonation, almost fizzy in the mouth, accentuates the fruit. Oh so drinkable, a bomber for one is my kind of evening, though I usually have to share it with the spouse.

I know it's hard to make, but keep it up, Dan!

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: hazy reddish amber color with a 1/2" head that breaks apart quickly.

Smell: an abundant cherry aroma is extremely pleasant on the nose.

Taste: cherry flavor dominate here with some softer pear tones, a hint of spiciness, and a mild bitterness. There is a touch of tartness late.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp from start to finish. Super long cherry aftertaste here.

Drinkability: this one goes down easily despite the sweetness. Great after dinner beer.

2.45/5  rDev -44.1%

A- Poured a red color that was pretty bright and clear. I knew I was in trouble right then.

S- Smells like a cup of freshly mashed cherries, and some yeast thrown in there.

T- Big and strong cherry flavour and I'm not digging it at all.

M- Great for the style.

D- Way to sweet for me. Glad I got to try it and split this one with a few others.

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Got to try a bottle of this last summer thanks to a beer trade friend. The colour was cloudy and amber with a temporarily thick head. The aroma was cherries, cherries and more cherries! On the palate, it was like getting a cherry pie in the face, and thoroughly enjoying it! Loads of pie cherry flavour, and even pie crust with hints of cinnamon and baking sugar. What a nice beer!!

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer is always a treat. Thanks to Thirdeye11 for this one.

A- Bright cherry red

S- Like sweet cherry candy with graham cracker malt. Not too complex, just brilliance.

T&M- Soft and delicate. Sweet and slightly tart cherry at the same time.

D- Refreshing and delicious. The kind of beer my mom(or anyone who doesn't like beer) would and should drink.

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

I drank from a 750ml bottle into a champagne flute.

This fruit beers pours a deep red, almost purple with a light pink head that has a dash of brown in it. The head rises about 2 inchecs and has decent retention, no significant lacing.

The aroma is big and bold with lots of sweetness. It smells totally of cherries, like a nice cherry slushy. There is a hint of cola and smidge of tartness.

The taste is very sweet, once again almost all cherries is what you get. The sweet is very nice, but lightly let down and not rewarded with any sour or tart bite to it. The sweetness is great but makes it hard to drink a lot of it without it being balanced between sweet and tart.

The mouthfeel is light and its very drinkable despite how sweet it is.

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

A-Pale rose bubbly body with a speckled white head.
S-Deep cherry and fruit.
T-Sweet cherry draw with a smooth, but slightly tart finish.
M-Thick and syruplike with ample carbonation.
D-A good special occasioned beer. I really enjoyed this one very much as an after dinner treat.

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Pours a hazy, dark red sort of looks like cranberry juice with a quickly dissipating head.

S- Smells like juicy, tart cherries.

T- The main taste is that of tart cherries, then transitions a bit of sweetness and finishes with a tart crispness that makes me want to keep drinking.

M-Very well carbonated but manages to have a kind of smooth, slick mouthfeel. Pretty nice.

D- This is one of most easy drinking beers I've had, even with the sweetness. Whenever I take a drink, I just want to keep drinking.

3.78/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

from tap, poured into a tulip glass.

A: red and slightly hazy. one finger red/pink head that dissipated quickly.

S: cherries, but in a way resembled cough syrup (not in a bad way).

T: cherries. kind of tart at first but ended up sweet in the finish.

MF: full bodied, high carbonation.

Drinkability: i think this is a well crafted beer, but not my style. i would like to try it with ice cream or other dessert. i think people who appreciate fruit beers would definitely enjoy this one.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company