Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,013
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into champagne flute

A - Pours a well carbonated orangish red but with minimal 1/4 inch head that falls to nothing.

S - Hmm, cherries? Almost like cherry kool-aid. Still, not too sweet and very enticing.

T - Tart cherries with little malt or hop. Not overly tart though or excessively fruity. Amazing balance and very tasty. Delicious.

M - Great sweet carbonation tingle with medium body (not syrupy) and a slightly drying aftertaste. Leaves you wanting more.

D - Amazingly refreshing with no alcoholic effect, thus its quite drinkable. Not syrupy or overly sweet like most fruit beers. A must try and something I would often return to were it more available.

gmcfarre, Jul 03, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -23.5%

I don't think I got a bad bottle, the the beer store had this one in the fridge, I just think I'm not a fan. It did look gorgeous, I've never seen a pink cascading head before. The aroma, however, just reminded me of Juicy Juice, not a fine beer. The taste was a little more complex with a mild tartness and sweet cherry flavor. I really couldn't find much depth here. I'd go back to the Raspberry Tart before this one.

tempest, Jun 21, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a brownish color with definite red highlights. Small ivory head quickly dissipates to a ring around the flute. Smell is incredible, like opening a jar of fresh cherries. Very enticing smell. Taste is pretty much like cherry pie filling, with a lot of tartness and sourness. Not as sweet as I expected. Medium body is nice. One glass is great, but two glasses is too much. A nice dessert which is best shared with 3 friends, not 1 spouse.

Duster72, Jun 20, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured this 750 mL, dark green, waxed bottle into a snifter. No date. The body was a murky, red-brown. There was no head only a minimal sizzle upon pouring. No lace.

Smell was cherries! Pure cherry pie filling. Tart and sweet.

Taste was sweeter than anticipated, but never cloying. Flavor was like a liquid cherry turnover. This one is not complex but it is well fashioned. The light bitterness increased as it warmed. This beer is a dessert.

Mouthfeel was medium to full. Mild carbonation, slight slickness. A world class fruit beer.

Cresant, Jun 10, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

Yup, it's red. A mall amount of head but it dies in a hurry. Good lacing however.

Cherries!!! Totally one-dimensional but absolutely enticing.

Yeah, it's completely delicious. Very sweet without any notion of cloying-ness. The very essence of ripe cherries; dark sugar, crisp tartness and the feeling of being outdoors in the late summer. Lame? Go to Hell.

Feels great in body and crispness; just a touch of slickness on the finish.

It's a fruit beer, so what? It tastes so good and is absurdly easy to drink. This the first beer that worries me about having my kids get into and starting a habit. So good.

malcontent, Jun 06, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Tasted with bross242 and dannosparks.

Appearance - Pours a hazy red color. Does not produce too much head, and the little bit that there is dissapates quickly.

Smell - Wow, this is pleasure to smell. Cherry, cherry, and more cherry. It reminds me of smelling my grandma's cherry pie. Outstanding.

Taste - A bunch of cherry yet again. I am not much for fruit beers, but this is just fantastic. Can I say grandma's cherry pie once again.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability - This is an outstanding beer. The cherry is just fantastic. One of the best beers I have had in awhile. I would highly recommend trading for it!!

mjgardner, May 30, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

22oz bomber poured into a wine glass.

Many thanks to Tizzod for collecting the best midwestern brews for my recent visit.

This was my 4th New Glarus brew made with those fabulous Wisconsin montmorency cherries, and no doubt they shine most clearly here.

Beautiful clear ruby color, no head to speak of. Light carbonation. Aroma is fantastic, tangy fresh cherry, bright and clean and delicious. The flavor of cherries is similarly clear and unadorned, sweet balanced with some tartness, extremely fresh. The experience is really more a well made cherry wine or perhaps a hard cherry cider, any malt is not very apparent.

A very well made and delicious beverage. Still, it left me wanting more, something more mouthpuckeringly sour, something horseblanketly funky to play off these amazing cherries...the clear cherry flavor recalled my enjoyment of Drie Fonteinen's Schaerbeekse Kriek. Will the capable NG brewmaster try to make a true lambic someday? I certainly hope so!

kenito799, May 30, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to jj21 and EliteDigger for this wonderful brew.

750 mL bottle with a red waxed top. Poured into my universal Ommegang glass.

This beauty displays a thick ruby red hue with a thin head that dies down to a thin lacing soon after pour that remains throughout tasting. Smell is of what else, fresh cherries. The bottle claims they use over a pound of cherries in each bottle and I don't doubt that for a second. No alcohol on the nose at all, scary good odor. A bit of acidity seems to tickle the senses too. Taste is once again of what else, cherries. Starts off sweet and smooth and ends up tart and sour. I also detect a bit of bready malt in the flavor which helps balance some of the acidity. I think this beer tastes better than any juice I've ever had. Mouthfeel is light to medium body with a generous amount of carbonation bite. Drinkability is pretty good and goes down fairly easy but the acidity got to me a bit. If I could fill a pool with this beer and swim around in it, I would be the happiest man alive...I would be like Scrooge McDuck in Ducktales swimming in his coins. Well done New Glarus, can't wait for the Raspberry Tart.

BeerTruth, May 30, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours somewhere between brown and red with a one-finger head of extremely fine ivory-colored carbonation that quickly recedes into a thin ring around the edges of the glass. Agitation brings up new head and splashes lacing all over the glass. Not as striking as the Raspberry Tart, but pretty stunning.

Smells like fresh cherries, maybe better cherries than I've ever actually eaten, with lots of acidity and a little bit of sweetness. That's all there is, but that's all there needs to be.

Tastes like it smells, and oh my god, is that good. Opens up with a splash of fruity, concentrated cherry flavor leading into a huge snap of mouth-puckering, eye-watering tartness. The sour cherry flavor lingers forever, to the point that I'm tempted to stop brushing my teeth so that I can taste this beer forever.

I'm using the term "beer" loosely here, because with this and the raspberry tart, New Glarus has really pushed the limits, even further than any Belgian brewery. A bit more beerlike than the raspberry tart, if only by virtue of not being screaming purple.

Mouthfeel is light with moderate carbonation, and is defined almost entirely by tartness.

Drinkability is outstanding, although I want to and have to drink it slow.

I want to be buried with this beer. Or the raspberry, that'd be fine too.

kajerm, May 19, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Luckily living in the greater Chicagoland area the New Glarus Brewery is only about a 3 hour trip away, so its' easy to justify a "beer run" for their beers, especially this one. One special note: the pound of cherries is from the famous Door County Penninsula of Wisconsin, where they proudly claim there are "more cherries than people". If you've ever been in Door County you know its' not far from the truth. But the point is that Door County cherries are by themselves an incredible taste treat and a reason why this fruit ale is so special.

A: The appearance is deep reddish brown, quite murky with swirling cascades as the foam rises. Head retention is average with thin lacing as the foam subsides. Very interesting.

S: The aroma from this brew is incredible! Cherries, over a pound of Door County cherries make this olfactory explosion. There is also some toasty, nuttiness the floats through the aroma so one might almost think "cherry turnover". Not sweet but with a tart, crisp tingle to the nostrils.

T: I'm not a big fan of lambics, a little too sweet for my taste, but this fruit ale is the perfect blend of sweet and tart. Cherries galore and more cherries make this a explosion of taste on the palate. I also taste some caramel notes and a little biscuit toastiness. No syrupy sweetness to this finish. It finishes crisp, clean and tart. One of the most unusual and memorable beers I've sampled in some time.

M: Creamy, smooth, tingling the tounge as you roll this complex ale across your palate.

D: I can see having a glass or two of this wonderful complex nectar. Much more so than any lambic I've tasted as it doesn't overwhelm your taste buds with sweetness. The tart finish keeps this fruit ale quite drinkable, but hardly a session beer.

Overall: Give kudos to a small brewery like New Glarus for creating such an unusual taste treat. It rightly deserves a place on BA top 100 list. Even if you're not a fruit beer fan, this one is well worth your time to sample.

BarrelBrother, May 13, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +5%

This intriguing Cherry Beer pours amber brown with ruby highlights. The light, bubbly head leaves a bit of lace.

The aroma is sweet and candyish (maraschino cherries), with a heavy fruitiness: cherries, strawberry, and (for lack of a better term) fruit punch.

The flavor exhibits amazingly sweet and tart cherries, cherries, and more cherries. It reminds me of pie filling made with freshly picked cherries. The carbonation adds to the sweet and sour almost candy-like (not in a bad way) flavor. Juicy and flavorful with a short hint of brown sugar.

The mouthfeel is light a tangy with nice carbonation. Although it is very sweet, the drinkability is still good.

I strongly suggest giving this beer a try, even if fruit beers aren't your personal favorite. You will not be disappointed.

letsgopens, May 10, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +5%

A huge, massive thanks to Viggo for sharing this one!
750ml, waxed, claiming a pound of cherries in each bottle!
Pours with big patches of bubbles. A murky ruby colour. Dots of lacing stick thickly to the glass. Deep, deep cherry filled aroma, unmistakebly. Pure sour cherry. Flavour carries more complexity than the aroma. A thick mouthfeel. Chunky, "ale" like, not fruit beer. Dominated by this thick, choke cherry taste and with complimenting spices definitely. Bits of "outdoor" funk-esque character. Mild texture, carbonation good.
Another insanely tasty and well crafted fruit beer from New Glarus. I have no hesitations calling this and their Raspberry Tart two of the best beers (overall, not just fruit beers) I've had the pleasure of trying. They are remarkably well made and so damn pleasing!

biegaman, Apr 29, 2007
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to slcbrewer for this one.

My first New Glarus brew.

750ml/Waxed

Pours a cloudy reddish/brown color, some carbonation, nice litty fizzy head, basically no lacing at all. The nose is of malts, cherries, tangyness, and slight spices, maybe some caramel. The taste is much better than I was expecting it to be, nice tangy/sweet bite, with lots of cherries thrown in, slight cinimmon, very tasty thirst quenching brew. Medium body, a nice complex brew. Very drinkable, I really like this one, highly recommended.

Wasatch, Apr 25, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

750ml capped bottle, topped with melted red wax. No date evident.

Deep hazy opaque pinkish red. Moderate, dense, pink head, leaves light lacing. Head dissipates rapidly. The appearance is perhaps the only place where the beer suffers a bit, but this was shipped to me, so it hasn't been treated the most kindly.

Aroma: intense fruity tart cherries, sugar, and little else. Yummy! Dessert!

Taste: the perfect sweetness of cherries, with very slight tartness, and a thick sweet sugary mouth. Slightly tingly carbonation.

The taste lingers on and on, with sweet sweet tart cherry. Yummy, candy-like stuff. Very, very slight vegetal taste in the finish.

I almost wonder if this has been formulated to be even sweeter than when I first had it in 2000, but it's difficult to say. It's delicious now, and it was delicious then.

I love this stuff. I could drink it every damn day, all damn day. It's damned delightful.

warmstorage, Apr 12, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -33.1%

It's been years, almost a decade, since I last tried this beer. I wasn't a big fan of it the first time around; I took a greater liking to their Raspberry Tart and have since picked up that when I see the two side-by-side. Either way, the lady and I were having spaghetti at her place so I thought this would make for a good pairing. Poured from the trademark waxed 750 into a pretty standard water glass (she isn't quite yet to BA level, but she's getting there...)

A - Carbonation is kinda odd with this sucker. As I pour, there's no head. When I finish, it jumps up to an inch (on a soft pour) and then dissolves as quickly as it appeared, leaving no discernible lacing. When shaken, the bubbles appear and disappear yet again. Other than color, which is bright clear red (almost like a red soda), this resembles champagne in every regard. I wouldn't doubt that champagne yeast was at work in the creation of this brew.

S - Smells strongly of syrupy cherries; like maraschinos, cherry Torani, black cherry soda or red cough syrup. Not being a big fan of syrupy cherries (or cough syrup, for that matter), this smell is lightly nauseating to me. There really isn't much noticeable beer aroma here -- just overpowering cherry -- and I'm kind of wishing there was.

T - Tastes allay some of those syrupy fears. This is dry and bubbly with a strong cherry flavor. Thankfully, the flavor shows real cherries, probably from the Northwest (Ranier or Bing). This is far more pleasant than the aroma led me to expect. There's also a fruity alcohol taste that reminds me of fermented apple cider -- not hard apple cider, but regular unpasteurized apple cider that's gotten a bit dated and in which wild yeasts have started converting the sugars.

M - This hits a number of places on the palate. At the outset, it's bubbly and light and sparkles on the tongue. Then its sweet with a light syrupyness that ends dry and sticky. Despite all of this, the feel is soft and dry and makes me salivate after 10 seconds or so. Fun complexity.

D - Ehhhh. Pretty tough to do much of this. Especially considering the bottle size, I'd say you almost have to share it with someone, or probably someones. That sticky syrupyness is pretty tough to get over and I think it would give me gut-rot if I tried to drink this bottle myself. It's food pairing qualities (see immediately below) are causing me to kick this up a whole point above where I normally would've in this category.

F - This is an incredible drink to pair with food, especially dessert, because its one of those rare beers that will add a whole new component to a dish. I'm pressed to think of any food that would stand up to it's sweet cherry flavor, but I can think of a billion that it would be great with in terms of a contrast: vanilla bean cheesecake, sweet chocolate, peanut butter sandwich, fruit salad, duck confit (depending very much on what's with it), sugar cookies, etc. Interestingly enough, I had it with homemade spaghetti sauce and found it to match perfectly. It provide a fantastic sounding board to the acidity of the tomatoes and balsamic/red wine vinegars, the dark strength of the herbs and spices and the grainy nuttiness of the pasta. This beer likes food. Additionally, I wouldn't doubt that it'd make a great reduction sauce on its own. I'll have to try that one of these days.

O - I must say, the syrupy stickiness is a bit too overpowering and the malt a bit too under-powering for my tastes. I have real trouble trying to figure out how this ends up as the best beer in WI according to reviewers on this site. Overall, I think this has much more in common with soda (or sweet champagne) than it does beer and that's probably why it gets such great reviews. Everyone loves pop. I'm not a big fan, so I don't think this floats my boat as much as the next geek. However, it does have an amazing affinity for food and, approached from that standpoint, I find it to be quite useful and amazing. Either way, it's certainly an interesting brew and still leagues beyond most ridiculous attempts at this style.

Beertron, Apr 11, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer poured a cloudy, dull pinkish red colour. The head was composed of fine bubbles and showed excellent retention, with plenty of foam remaining at the bottom of the glass. Streaky, spotty lacing throughout. The aroma was amazing! Very fresh sour cherries, earthy cherry pits and skins, with mild toffee/caramel in the background - kind of reminded me of a fresh baked cherry pie. The flavour was intense with sour cherries, an excellent combination of sweet and tart. There was also some cakey spiciness and brown sugar. Full bodied and palate coating with low carbonation. Refined texture. This beer is incredible. I was sure it was over-rated, but I was very happy to find out it wasn't at all. Easily the best fruit beer I've had. I'd love to get my hands on another bottle (or twelve).

Thanks for sharing this Viggo!

DrJay, Apr 05, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

This pretty much looks like a bottle of wine, and the whole red wax seal thing was kind of interesting. Poured a cloudy redish orange brown. Kind of the color of rust. Pretty big fruity smell, mostly of cherries and maybe a little hint of citrus. What little head there was dissipated very quickly. Very lively on the tongue. Both sweet and tart with a nice cherry fruit taste. Be sure to lick your lips after taking a drink of this one, because the taste you'll find there is delicious! Carbonation was just right, and the balance was perfect with the tartness offsetting the sweetness. Not sure I detected much hop flavor. Overall a very drinkable beer, which is good with such a huge bottle!

BeerCheese, Mar 31, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Thanks to oakbluff in Winterpeg for hooking me up with this. Sampled with some fellow BA's, DrJay, biegaman, and grub.

Pours a very murky red/brown, thick off white head forms, settles down to a think layer and ring, nice lacing on the glass. Smell is amazing, rich real cherries, very earthy, toffee, brown sugar, nice sourness from the cherries, quite amazing. Taste is cherry cake, toffee, nice sour cherries through the middle, spices, some ginger, more cherries and brown sugar. Mouthfeel is full bodied, very thick, silky smooth low carbonation. Fucking amazing beer, just insane, I can't wait to try again! Thanks Scott, I owe you for this one!

Viggo, Mar 30, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

I have been sitting on this bottle for awhile now and I'm not really sure why? It pours a rusty/brick shade of nearly opaque quality. Head is nice and full and an off white with a pinkish hue. Thick carbonation bubbles with no lace. Good retention.

What a nose! Hugely complex with layer upon layer of sweet cherry. Hard to grasp much else, hence the overwhelming cherry olfactor overload. Hints of woody character, with a barley, wheat intersection. Full and chewy in the nose. Cherry's galore.

If only all fruit beers were of this magnitude and structure and we might as well throw balance and complexity in there as well. Although very sweet a nice barley induced mid palate with a bright tingly carbonation keep this from any cloying-ness. Again layers of sweet/sour cherry's with a hints of milk chocolate on the lingering pleasant finish.

This beer is just a complete treat to drink. If only it was available in Ohio. New Glarus has a complete knockout here.

mcallister, Mar 28, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Viggo was nice enough to share this truly excellent beer. huge thanks eric!

750ml bottle, topped in dark red wax.

pours hazy pinkish red with a bit of dense pink head. some spotty lace.

aroma is fantastic. tons of cherry. at a distance it seemed vaguely cough-syrupy, but up close it is great. sour cherries with a nice fresh earthy character. light sweetness. bit of sourness. excellent.

taste is excellent. wow. lots of cherry, but not at all cloying or syrupy. slight sour cherry. bit of spiced cake. hint of brown sugar and spice. truly great stuff.

mouthfeel is awesome. super silky smooth carbonation. nice body, but not at all cloying.

drinkability is excellent. this is a truly excellent beer.

grub, Mar 26, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Many thanks to mac300 for bringing this beer to SkinnyElvis's place on Saturday. This is a very approachable easy beer if you like sweet beers. It has a light tart nip but is overwhelmingly cherry sweet.

Appearance: pours a gorgeous hazy red with an off white head.

Smell: This beer want to be a Kriek but it is not lactic or acidic. It is a beer that has a cherry tartness to it but as a *sour* beer fan I did not find it sour. I thought the aroma is more sweet red berries, cherry strawberry and candi sugar.

Taste: Like the nose this beer is sweet and jolly rancher flavored with only a light tartness pucker in the finish. This is a very easy friendly fruit beer that has depth and vinous character while maintaining a simple flavor. The gentle tartness does balance the sweet and keep either from becoming cloying.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, with a sugary grit thick feel that mellows as it crosses the tongue.

Drinkability: Many people will enjoy this who don't like a traditional Kriek Lambic. If you are looking for a sour beer this is not it. This is a sweet fruit beer with a tart nip. That said it is very tasty and worth seeking out.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Mar 26, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

750ml bottle thanks to nflmvp

Pours a hazy red color with a small white head that fades. Mild lacing on the glass.

Big, tart, fresh cherry aroma. Mild hints of sweetness peek through now and then.

Immediate slightly sweet fresh cherry taste that rushes into a puckering tartness. The tartness lingers and creates a mouth watering effect, which makes me eager for the next sip.

Full body, mild carbonation.

Wow, this is a fantastic fruit beer. Once I got started on the bottle, I couldn't stop until it was finished. Truly a pleasure. Not a daily drinker, but certainly one to enjoy on a regular basis. I've never tried anything that I could even remotely suggest as a substitute.

MaltyGoodness, Mar 26, 2007
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Serving 22oz bottle, thanks to nflmvp and sinstaineddemon

Reveals a mixed tawny brown and venitian red through a slightly hazy body, ample miniscule bubbles race upwards toward a fine frothy pink tinted head. The head dissapates within a minute leaving just a very faint ring of tightly packed bubbles.

A medley of cherry aromas dominate a hugely aromatic nose, sweet cherry aromas take center stage supported by some tart and sour cherries with a bit of fruit punch and light floral aromas hanging in the background.

Sweet cherries flavor leads a suble entry followed closely by tart cherries on a soaring mid palate; flavors slowly evolve into a off-dry lingering sour cherry flavor thast lasts over half a minute. Tart cherry pie filling is the best description for this beer's flavor. Wow, this undoubtly hits the mark on a pure cherry ale.

Full on the palate with a delectable syrupy character, this goes down with ease offering awesome balance and nothing but delicious cherry flavors.

Barnone, this is one of the best cherry ales and fruit/vegetable beers available. It delivers on all accounts and sets a high standard by which all other fruit beers can be judged.

Cheers!

Jwaks, Mar 11, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to my blond friend Sarah for bringing this to me from a trip home to cheeseland recently. Poured out a brownish red brick-like color with a small segregated chunky greyish pink head. The nose is cherry, sour, more cherry, a little bit of cherry, some sour cherry, some ripe cherry, some fruit punch, some super concentrated cherry. You get the idea. The taste was better balanced, but still hit you over the head fruity cherry. This is more like sucking on cherry pits with just a little cherry meat left. Not exceptionally complex on the palate, but really fun to drink. Has a slightly prickly mouthfeel, and finishes exceptionally smooth and fairly clean. Tremendously drinkable.

dherling, Mar 08, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

A 750 mL capped and wax-sealed bottle courtesy of CH3CH2OH.

A: The ale pours with a hazy red color with some intermittent orange and brown notes. It looks like an unfiltered apple cider, minus a shade or two of brown. The head is nothing to get excited about.

S: The aroma is all cherry. Specifically, it has the sweetness of a black cherry, as though the ale itself is a black cherry soda.

T: The flavor does not disappoint if you like sweet cherries. The sugary sweetness of cherries is evident from first sip. The cherries straddle a very fine line between overly sweet maraschino and sour Liefmans lambic cherries.

M: This doesn't taste like beer at all, a very interesting change of pace in the intense sweetness. I should note though that the cherry flavor is not as sweet as Lindeman's kriek.

D: I think that one dinner bottle of this is enough. The sweetness is pleasant in small doses but could easily overpower the taste buds.

akorsak, Feb 15, 2007