Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

Obtained in a trade with TRBERGMAN. Poured into a CCB snifter.

A- Ruby red in color. Poured a 2 inch head that had good retention. Spider web sticky lacing left.

S- Ummmm cherry jolly ranchers. Then more cherry jolly ranchers.

T- Excellent. Of course it's huge on cherries. It's almost like drinking candy without the sugar overkill. Is there really alcohol in this???? I'm sad that I'm on my last swig.

M- Perfect level of carbonation. Finishes pretty dry.

D- I could drink this for days.

A - Vibrant ruby red color. Big head that has a slightly red hue, too. A bit cloudy.

S - No doubt, the BEST aroma on any fruit beer... maybe ANY beer I've had! If I didn't know better, I would guess my glass holds a bunch of crushed cherries. Like a sweet cherry pie filling.

T - Again, very fresh, authentic cherries dominate the flavor, but a distinct white grape juice flavor comes through. More sour than tart, if there is a difference (I think so). An awesome sort of candy sugariness that is fantastic. The complexity and depth of this beer is unbelievable!

M/D - Medium carbonation and body. The taste lingers with you and gives you time to think about it for a minute or longer after having it. One of two perfect beers I have ever had. I need more Wisconsin Belgian Red!

Reviewed from notes taken at Greg's epic Wall St. tasting

A - Pours a reddish brown, with a light pink head that quickly recedes to a small collar.

S - CRANBERRIES! (thats all I wrote, but I have a distinct memory of how one-dimensional this was)

T - A typical fruit beer: very one-dimensional, but hammers its point home quite ferociously. A tad cloying.

M - Very thin, too light and champagne-like for my tastes.

D - Very drinkable, could session this all day but for the limited distribution. However, just because you could doesn't mean you should...

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

Bright ruby red in color. Looks like a red wine with a soft pick head, while short-lived has lot's of body and texture. Smells like you're walking through a cherry orchard. No malts, hops, ect..., none needed, the cherries do the job. I could sit here and smell this beer all day. Flavor follows the aroma. Cheeries. Not cough drop cherry flavoring. Real fresh cherries with all of the sweetness and tartness that cheeries have. Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium with great carbonation. I wouldn't call this a session beer but it sure is easy to get this one down. Thanks brewcrew!

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love this beer! First you have to consider the elegant packaging... the green 750ml bottle, the red wax, even the label is classy. Then you pour... aroma is a blast of fresh pie cherries. And the color, a hazy beautiful dark pink-red complete with a light pink head which fades quickly. Taste is a refreshing, sweet-tart, complex sour, acetic, cherry flavor. Not for amateurs! My friend and girlfriend didn't really care for it and they gave me theirs. She said the tartness and carbonation reminded her of the inside of Zots candy. More for me! Just one drop of this beer is loaded with flavors.

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours pink/red and slightly hazy. Fizzy champagne bubbles. Aroma is amazing. No harsh chemically or plastic aroma. Spicy cherry aroma. Warm inviting cherry flavor, alcohol, spice, aged wood. Dry, warm finish. Lingering tart cherries. Just enough background malt ot make it a beer. #2 New Glaurus fruit beer, just behind the Raspberry Tart.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Ruddy red colored pour with a small loose head. Tart cherry and sweet pie aroma with a hint of funk. Sweet tart cherry pie flavor with slight cane sugar, vinegar, apple cider and biscuit. The body is sticky, medium full with lots of effervescent carbonation.

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

Enormous thanks go out to brian23456 for this treat of a beer in a trade awhile back!!

Poured into a flute glass. Pours a very cloudy blood red. A thin tan head with light pinkish tones rests on top. Retains very well. Left little lace. My first though when I smelled this beer was Jolly Ranchers. This smells like any and every cherry candy out there. Very nice.

Nice effervescent body. Carbonation level is spot on. Smooth finish. Wow. Flavors of cherries abound! Finishes tart and slightly drying. Mild bread flavors. Bitterness is low. This is all about the fruit. I could drink bottle after bottle of this stuff. The low ABV makes this extremely accessible. Splendid beer. I could have this and the Raspberry Tart for any celebration. Great job, NG!

4.02/5  rDev -8.2%

A great gift from my girlfriend, who recently visited this fine established while she was visiting her family in Wisconsin. Poured at 51 degrees into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Poured with a slightly creamy, but mostly white colored head and mild lacing. The body of the beer is quite murky and exhibits a mix of bright and dark cherry hues.

S: The aroma is similar to cherry syrup, perhaps something you would find in a mixed drink or even a Roy Rogers. A slight medicinal quality is noticeable as well, which may thin out the smell at times.

T: The taste totally reminds me of a frosted cherry turnover, but in liquid form! The sugar flavor is extremely sweet, but not in the granular sense, more vanilla-like...without the vanilla flavor of course.

M: An ample amount of carbonation that lightens up this medium-body beer; the right feel for the style.

D: I have to admit this beer was difficult to guzzle down at times, especially the second half, but it's unique flavor profile is really what made this beer stand out compared to other fruit lambics.

Overall: Not the most balanced beer (to say the least), but again...the flavor profile is out of this world. I highly recommend acquiring a bottle or two. Man, am I glad my girlfriend brought me back two of these bad boys! Cheers!

4.79/5  rDev +9.4%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees

This pours a slightly muddled cherry pink color. The one-finger head of loose foam is cotton-candy pink. It recedes to a spotty, filmy, surface covering. The lacing is spotty, but plentiful, and nicely sticky.

Cherries.
Cherry juice. Maraschino cherries. Ludens cherry cough drops. Cherry lifesavers. Cherry skins.
This nose is all about the cherries. I could sit and sniff this one for hours, I think.

Sweet cherry nectar hits your tongue like sex in your mouth. Damn, that's delicious. Then it spreads out into your mouth and you get the taste of perfectly ripened cherry flesh. Sweet, succulent and full. It finishes with a light ouch of cherry skin tartness and another tiny wisp of cherry sweetness.
Absolutely excellent.

Full bodied with a mild-to-medium level of natural carbonation. It's like crushed velvet sliding over your tongue. Smooth, with a nice amount of creaminess.

The fact that the sweetness is kept in check, helps this one out alot. Combine that nice balance with the low 5.10%abv and you've got a nicely drinkable brew here.
This was worth the wait and will be worth the effort to track down another.

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Very murky dark red, verging on a more ruddy brown. Khaki colored head that is a solid three fingers thick. Very good retention and excellent lacing left behind.

S - Big surprise here, lots of fresh pressed cherries in the nose. A touch of sour cherry candy aroma as well. No artificial sweetness to it though which puts it well above most other fruit beers I have tried. Just an all around excellent smelling beer.

T - Just straight forward sweet cherries with a touch of sourness underneath. Not much else going on at all. Very very sweet which is to be expected.

M/D - The feel is medium to full with a slick syrupy feel left behind. The strong sweetness brings the drinkability down a notch and I certainly wish I had one or two people to share it with. I would still take Raspberry Tart over this one, but this is one of the best fruit beers I have had.

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

I usually don't like fruity beers, but this is in the top 100, so I wanted to try it. I made a trek to Wisconsin this weekend, and it was worth it!. I think most of New Glarus' offerings are overrated...but not this. What a wonderful surprise! It deserves all the praise it gets.

A: Pours a ruby red with a half-inch white head.

S: Cherry Cherry Cherry.

T: I swear they melted down cherry Lifesavers and made a beer out of them!

M: Smooth. Medium body, with many tiny bubbles.

D: Very drinkable. Like champagne with cherry juice stirred in.

Now I may have to try the Raspberry brew!

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Kind of a cute beer. I really enjoyed it, a lot. Beer poured from a bottle into a becher glass. Beer is red and clear. White head but really thin, carbonation moderate and of small bubbles. Lacing is really high. Looks good.

Aroma is sweet and tart, smells like cherries.

This is an easy drinking beer. Its sweet and has a good fruit flavor to it. Carbonation sours the beer a little but it just serves to bring out the fruit flavor more. Drinkability high mouthfeel good.

Resampled February 8, 2010:

Beer is poured into a snifter glass. Beer is dark red and hazy. Froms a thin white head that leaves lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate.

Aroma is much stronger than I remember, very cherry, almost like cherry candy jolly ranchers.

Lots of carbonation on the tongue, great sour / tartness. I seriously love this beer.

Its less like beer and more like cherry soda.

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into Bruery Snifter

Poirus 1/2 finger of pink hued creamy white head. Fades t a ring and has good retention. Leaves some nice lace walls. Color is a hazed raspberry hued brown. Very nice looking.

Aroma: The cherries are amazing. Some yeast, but mainly fruity. It is mainly tart and filled with fruits. Very fresh. It is pretty solid. Wow. The cherries are so amazing.

Taste: Fresh cherries (along with some other fruit flavors). I get some yeast here, but not a lot. A nice malt backbone. This beer is fresh and the fruit is amazing. It doesn't have a lot of flavors, but this beer is drinking great.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and refreshing. Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Ends a little dry and fruity, somewhat clean.

Overall, this beer is fantastic. I have had it multiple times and it always delivers. It is just so amazing. This is a beer I love to have access to. Very drinkable and it packs a huge fresh flavor.

3.08/5  rDev -29.7%

I had this beer to celebrate my brother moving into his new house and I was anticipating this to be the greatest beer ever. When i saw the beer It wasnt the most impressive beer i have ever seen, but i felt that when you make a cherry beer it would look like this, in that aspect the brewer had gotten exactley what they wanted. The smell was wonderful. When you are making a cherry beer you should smell Cherrys and nothing but. That is exactly what i smelled. The taste hit me as medicinal. I dont like to ever speak bad of beers but i could not shake the fact that it tasted like cough medicine. The mouthfeel was an exception to the taste. The beer seemed to be perfectly carbonated and didnt give me any reason to review it as bad. The drinkability of this beer was not good FOR ME. I emphasize for me because I know that there are people that could drink this like crazy but i am more of a beer guy and never drink wine. I feel bad to ever give out a bad review but to me this beer was like a fine painting that would never look good in my house but I can thoroughly appreciate the effort and time put into it.

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Bright, deep ruby. Small white-pink head. Sparkly bubbles that meander toward the surface.

S: Cherries. Cherries and more cherries. Amazingly tart but incredibly sweet aroma. Fresh picked ripe cherries and my Grandma's awesome warm cherry pie.

T: Reminds me of my favorite snack-- dried tart Montmorency cherries from Door County, WI. Same exact flavor as the actual thing. Sweet and light with awesome flavor. Can't say "Cherries" enough.

M: Smooth and velvety with mild carbonation. Not much else is noticeable past the incredible flavor of this beer.

D: Like juice. This is so appealing to me that I could drink it for breakfast. Just tart enough that the sweetness does not dominate at makes this the perfect fruit beer.

4.29/5  rDev -2.1%

Many thanks to BeerFMAndy for this one.

Pour into my corsendonk glass, this beer pours a bright ruby red color with an amber overtone. Head retention is fair, with no more then minimal lacing. As for the nose on this beer, my initial reaction was not very positive. This beer has very sweet, distinctly hawaiin punch aroma, along with considerable sweet cheery. However, as the beer warmed, I started to get some vanilla, cinnamon, and even light funk. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose, except there was something of a sour cherry flavor in the finish that helped to cut some of the sweetneess in this beer. The sour component also tended to enhance this beer's drinkability, and I enjoyed it more and more as I went along. Mouthfeel is medium bodied in this beer, with some pleasant prickliness from the good carbonation.

This is a very interesting beer, and it reminds me very much of some fruit infused lambics I've tried (would be interested in trying this beer side by side with Lindeman's cherry lambic). However, the intensity of flavor in this beer really impressed me, and sets it apart from most Belgian fruit lambics I've tried. Good stuff!

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a flute.

Pours a hazy brownish red with a short lived earthen tone head. The aroma is juicy tart cherries. The taste is tart cherries upfront with a sweet and slightly bitter finish. Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. Easy drinking, but well suited for sharing due to the tartness.

An excellent brew and a definite must try!

4.82/5  rDev +10%

The beer pours a rosy red color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is outstanding! It has a killer cherry scent that's so tart and refreshing. I love sour cherries in beer. This is very much like the aroma of Lindeman's Kriek. The taste is perfect! It captures the essence of what a fruit beer can and should be. It's bold and refreshing with tons of tart fruit character. The mouthfeel is perfect as well. It's medium bodied with good carbonation. This and their Raspberry tart are by leaps and bounds the best fruit beers on the planet. I only wish it wasn't so hard to get my hands on them. Thanks to Tim and Mary Anderson for the opportunity to try these.

4.69/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into New Glarus flute glass.

A: pours a slightly hazy deep red with a bone white head, lots of lacing

S: smell is filled with wonderful cherry aromas. I can smell some sweet candied red cherries up front followed by some tartness. The fruit is the dominating aroma, but it is incredibly pleasant.

T: The taste is a lot like the nose but even more prominent. The cherry flavors are so bright and fresh, its like the flavor is popping in your mouth. The sweet cherries are on the front again followed by a pronounced tartness with some dark cherry flavors on the finish. The cherries are take center stage in this beer and they shine!

MF: a bit bubbly, high carbonation, thin body

D: each sip keeps you coming back for more, this beer is expertly balanced between sweet and tart and is the best fruit beer I have ever tried. The abv is undetectable and the drinkability is through the roof

3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

Got this as an extra some time ago from Youbrewidrink! Thanks

A: Murky red almost mahogany in color with a pinkish off white head that fluffs up on top. Not much in terms of lacing, and not much transparency. Head retention is perfect as a quarter inch layer sits throughout the time i drank it

S: The cherries are very prominent in the nose and it reminds me slightly of either a shirley temple or a cherry dr. pepper.

T: It also tastes slightly like a cherry doctor pepper or shirley temple. It also reminds me a bit of a cherry wine spritzer or a cocktail of some sort. Very fruity and unlike another beer i have had before

M: The body and richness of this is actually very good and enjoyable. No acidity and very mild.

D: I dont think I would be able to have more than a glass of this becaus it does get to be a little bit on the sweet side and i typically like my fruit beers to be sour

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Pours a deep reddish brown with a creamy froth with pinkish tones.

S: Wow, the cherries hit me upon opening the bottle and continue to dominate the nose. Very tart and a tiny bit of fink. Lovely.

T: More tart cherries. Very sweet complimented with a little sourness.

M: Thick and syrupy with loads of carbonation. Reminds me of a flavored soda.

D: Very enjoyable, but certainly only one in a sitting and it should be shared. I will certainly be enjoying more of these in the future.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

Pours reddish-orange with a white head. Aroma is unmistakable, lots of sugar, cherries and something that reminds me of red wine. The flavor is more cherries, with a ton of sweetness. This tastes like cherry filling inside of a fried pie. Mouthfeel is syrupy and carbonation is medium-low. Easily the best fruit beer I have ever sampled.

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Surprised that I have not rated this one to-date and since I just split a bottle tonight watching college football, why not rate it now.

A - Poured from the wax topped bottle into my waiting New Glarus flutes, supplied by one of the best cheeseheads I know and have the pleasure of trading with, wisconsinbeer1. Pours a beautiful garnet red with a fizzy white fluff that quickly settles down.

S - Tart cherries and cherry pie. Beautiful!

T - Tart cherries and cherry pie. Not overly sweet as it has a slight tart sensation with subtle oak accents from sitting in the barrels for a period of time. Really a sensational taste.

M - Highly carbonated and thin but not a problem.

D - Really good but you have to remind yourself that you are drinking a beer. Really, it is a cross of beer and wine.

One of the really great fruit beers that is always a pleasure to have. Regularly supplied by maximum12 and wisconsinbeer1 so I don't know who to thank for this particular bottle. I guess I'll just have to thank you both.

Get this one and make yourself popular.

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from Bottle into Flute glass.

Pours a brilliant, bright red color with a couple fingers of pink colored head that dissolves into a thin ring around the glass. This beer actually does have a cherry like appearance. Fantastic. The aroma is strictly tart fresh cherries. The flavor is the same, straight up cherry juice with a little lambic flair. Its light-medium bodied with a prickly amount of carbonation and finishes dry. The simplicity of the aroma and the flavor is what makes this an amazing beer. Another top-notch fruit beer from New Glarus.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company