Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,014
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Pours a cloudy brick red with 2 fingers of off white pinkish head and a thin layer of lace.

S - Huge sweet cherry aroma. Some woodiness can be detected if you search but the bold dark cherries dominate.

T - Sweet cherries mixed in with just a touch of tart cherries. Wow there is a lot of cherry flavor. Some oaky notes blend with the cherry.

M - Light smooth and creamy. Very refreshing.

D - Best fruit beer I have tasted. A great balance of sweet and tart.

brewcrew76, Sep 30, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reddish orange in color, a little lighter at the bottom...very opaque. The head is about 1/2 inch thick, light tan color. It falls quickly, leaving decent lacing behind. The major scents here are cherry and cinnamon. There is also oak and sugar with a deep spice character. The taste is much the same, cherry and oak, sherry, hops, sugary-malt, fruit juice...tangy with bits of citrus. Highly carbonated, but incredibly smooth and balanced, slightly syrupy...dry finish. This is so freaking good - easy to drink, wonderful, but not an everyday thing by any means.

dogger6253, Sep 26, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Holy shit did I love this beer. Got two of them in a trade and the best thing is that I have another.

A: Pours a nice reddish brown kind of color. Nice bubbles rising to the top. Can't wait to taste.

S: The definition of cherry. Ton of sweet cherry aroma. There is a malty biscutiy aroma in the background, but man this smells like I cracked open a jar of cherries.

T: 5* no doubt about it. Huge cherry flavor like I have tasted in no other brew. There is some cinnamon in there as well. God I love cherry pie but would trade the best one on earth for another bottle of this beer. There is some cinnamon in the background, and finishes with a bit of tartness.

M: Perfect. Medium to light bodied and refreshing. I shared this bottle with 3 others and to be honest I wish I had saved it all to myself.

D: The most drinkable beer ever. I would drink it until they scraped me off the floor. I may move to Wisconsin just to have a steady supply of this beer.

Overall: I have come across many beers that I love Westy 12 and KY Stout most notably. This one here is a whole different matter. It's pure sex in a bottle. I love this beer. The aroma, the flavor, the enjoyablity is off the scale. New Glarus, YOU RULE!!!

tpd975, Sep 10, 2007
Photo of
3.45/5  rDev -21.2%

750ml bottle courtesy of a trade with Flyingbison -- Thanks!

Cloudy, dark red/brown. Medium sized, rocky, light pink head. No legs, minimal lacing.

Smells like raspberries/berries/cherries. Sweet overall. Hint of alcohol.

Sweet more than bitter, but not by much. Tart is a better adjective than bitter, actually. Cherries -- big surprise! Other berry flavors as well. Chocolate as it warms.

Medium body. Medium + carbonation. Refreshing.

Stylistically, very well done compared to other fruit beers I've tried. Unfortunately, not to my taste. Glad to have had the opportunity, though.

, Sep 06, 2007
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Pours a murky blood and russet color with a head that fizzes out quickly but does leave a few dots of lace

Smell: Maraschino cherries - extraordinarily powerful

Taste: After an initial touch of sweetness there arrives a blast of sour cherry that is very different than the maraschino aroma; after the swallow, the tartness is abated somewhat as the sweet and sour flavors blend into a lengthy finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with lively carbonation; puckering mouthfeel well into the finish

Drinkability: A fine after dinner sipper, although I am not crazy about the sweet elements in the flavor profile and would prefer a cherry taste more akin to the purple ones that arrive in the summer

Thanks, jrdegriselles, for the opportunity and to Schmittymack, for the chance to re-visit

brentk56, Sep 03, 2007
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Its a bright red beer with a nice pink head that doesn't stick or lace but doesn't dissipate that quickly. The aromas of straight up cherries hit the nose right from the start. The phenols from the yeast and fruit are blended in there but make it rather nice. The taste of cherries is really strong and sweet, but balanced out by a slight bitterness. There really isn't any malt to speak of, since there are a pound of cherries in each bottle. The mouth feel has a certain fullness to it, but goes well with style of beer. All in all, a very easy to drink beer. Very sweet, but a very tasty sweet.

quasimoto, Aug 27, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured a maderate amber with a nice half finger head of white that melted to a faint ring of lace.

Aromas are all cherries....wonderful sweet cherries that give way to a sweet amber malt.

Taste is just plain yummy.
This is a fruit beer that really, really works. Sweet cherries but with a bit of bitter bite at the end that dry your mouth and make you wish for more.
I don't know what else to say except for sweet cherries. This is absolutely delicious with many, many subtle flavors I can't begin to identify...only enjoy.

Yes...yes...I love it.

IntriqKen, Aug 26, 2007
4.38/5  rDev 0%

New Glarus' Wisconsin Belgian Red pours a stiff slightly pink head over a cloudy, deep red
brew. The nose is cherries, oak, and yeast. The flavor is dominated by tart cherry, of course,
with oak notes a mellow malt finish. The mouthfeel is full and round, but also crisp and tart.
When that tart sensation passes, there's an almost velvety, creamy feel in it's wake. While
not itself a Lambic, this brew makes a much better suggestion of what a Lambic might be like
than some brews I've had calling themselves Lambics. Again, another beer you can get out
for your snooty wine loving friends. A very nice, complex brew, well worth a beer run over the
Bong Bridge. Wisconsinites are lucky, lucky lucky...

shadow1961, Aug 13, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -21.2%

This beer offers lots of big cherry flavor, replete with a puckering mouthfeel of cherry sourness. It is good, but doesn’t really rank among my most enjoyable beer experiences. It offers a cherry tartness so rich, I feel like Pac-Man (level one) when drinking it. I would almost prefer something a bit more understated and nuanced, like the Lindemans kriek. Still, I love sour, so it is difficult for me to badmouth this beer.

Its color was not as pleasant as I expected (more of a red brown than a brilliant ripe-fruit red), and aroma was just so-so, but that flavor was a big punch of flavor that I really enjoyed.

BeerBelcher, Aug 10, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -12.1%

Thanks to oakbluff for this gem!

New Glarus Belgian Red
750 ml bottle
Moderate pour in a shaker.
Unknown brewing, enjoyed 07/07

Poured a dark red, with some brown tinges, with a moderate off-white and "off-ruddy" fizzy mostly diminishing head.

Smelt of strong tart cherries, baked cherry pie, candi cherries, spiced cherry jam and fermented cherries by the windowsill.

Taste was upfront strong sweet and sour cherry juice followed by a stronger sweetness on the follow through to a nice mellow moderate sweet and sour finish. All cherries.

Palate was cherry.

Overall, holy fucking cherries! I'm happy I shared this with semi knowledgeable beer friends, because it was great, but also there's no way I could have drank a whole bottle. It's just too much cherries. One glass is a great treat though. Cherries.

xav33, Aug 02, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Shared this with fellow BA dertbert.

A - Poured into a champagne glass, a reddish orange hue with a small, white, soapy head. Really didn't leave any lace.

S - It smelled of cherry and malt. Somewhat sour aroma.

T - The cherry taste was very balanced. It could've been overdone but it was very smooth.

M - Mouthfeel was champagne-like, bubbly and crisp. It was light to medium-bodied.

D - This was really good. I generally have not enjoyed many cherry brews, but this was quite good. It even reminded me of a sparkling cider.

zeff80, Jul 18, 2007
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Shared a bottle with several fellow BA's and RBer's at a local tasting.

A - Hazy, Redish color with minimal head. Off-white to cream colored thin lacing stayed throughout the sample I drank.

S - Cherry. Very sweet. A malt aroma is present as well and subdues the cherry aroma so that they are finely balanced. Reminded me of a cherry danish.

T - With over a pound of cherries in each bottle you would think it would be cherrilicous, but its actually balanced well and you get malt with the cherries. THere is some tartness to the brew that gives a wonderful aftertaste of esters and sugars.

M - While the bottle we had was not ice cold, it was served at around 55 degrees and warmed rather fast in my goblet. This led to a crisp yet full body to turn to a thick and semi-crisp. The alcohol was still there and gave a slight tingly sensation to the beer.

D - Buy this. Buy a case of it. Ages well and I doubt many people will not like it. I couldn't put this one down. There was sooo much flavor to this beer that I couldn't wait for the next sip to try and figure everything out.

mizzoueng, Jul 18, 2007
4.38/5  rDev 0%

A wonderful beverage, but I struggle a little to rate this, because it really doesn't have a lot of beer-like qualities. It takes a pretty vigorous pour to get much of a head. The aroma is a hedonistic cherry immersion, and the flavor is more of the same -- tart, fresh, delicious. Malt and hops are undetectable, as is the alcohol. Actually, even a little bit of an alcohol burn would push it to a higher level for me. Recommended, definitely, but I do have to rate it in the context of a beer.

Flyer, Jul 18, 2007
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - Ruby red color. Nice red hued foamy that had thin retention and mild lacing.

Smell - Cherries allmost overpower everything else. There are some wheat notes hiding however.

Taste - Delicious fresh cherries. Tart and sour but not overpowering. A light wheat taste is present as well. There are some mild hops for balance.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a nice steady carbonation presence and crisp bite.

Drinkability - Easy drinking sweet beer. Not to tart or sour. Allmost champagne-ish.

stereosforgeeks, Jul 17, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

2 year old bottle. I've been sitting on this bottle for a while now. Drank the first one I had about a year ago. Decided to crack this one tonight. Why? Just because.
Poured into my Houblon Chouffe snifter.
Pours a clear garnet hue with a quick off white head. Head disapates to a nice ring of lace with some clinging lace up the sides. Lace is long lasting and clings throughout the entire session. Even roughing up the beer a bit, the secondary head drops very quickly. Frothy but quick. No signs of carbonation.
First whif is straight cherry reduction. Deeper than any cherry could give straight from nature though. Deep and rich and sugary, but definitely inviting. No hops present. No discernable malt overtones. Just cherries. Lucious, slightly smokey cherries.
Now for the goods. The taste. First thing that comes to mind is blood soaked cherries. I thought that the first time I tried this beer, and a year later, that's still what I think. You get a rich, tart, almost coppery tang. I can't expliain how deep the flavors go. Slightly sour, not like a lambic, but there is some "twang" there. Sweet and extremely drinkable.
EXTREMELY drinkable. No alcohol is present. Medium mouthfeel fills the mouth with cherry goodness.
This is a gorgeous beer. Albiet not for everyone, but I love cherries. This is the best fruit beer I've ever had. I dare someone to try to one-up this one. Good luck.

Brewfan, Jul 16, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

2nd bottle courtesy of brandonman63. First bottle was a casualty to my laundry room floor. Thanks again!

Poured into a Spiegelau wine glass.

Beer is a cloudy amber/brown color with a small white head.

Aroma is intense. A very tart cherry smell that is quite strong.

Flavor is dominated by sweet and sour cherries. But there is also and underlying malty creaminess that is very supple and smooth. The finish is tart and crisp, with a slight wine vinegar like flavor. Interesting beer. I personally would prefer the cherry flavors to be a bit more subtle. This just strikes me as being more "fruit" than "beer"... reminds me more of a lambic.

Mouthfeel is quite nice. Very full and supple in the mouth.

Drinkability is good. This isn't really my favorite style. But it certainly is an interesting and very well crafted beer.

flexabull, Jul 09, 2007
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

A- Poured a dark ruby red with whitish head that was rather smell but stayed
S- as expected its pretty strongly cherry, sweet with no hops
T- tangy, starts really sweet, then changes into a more sour tangy flavor that lingers on the tongue slowly fading. very pleasent
M- a fine but strong carbonation which balances the tartness very well
D- im using it now as a sipping beer for a long lazy afternoon and its great, a dessert beer as well.

Atron67, Jul 08, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into champagne flute

A - Pours a well carbonated orangish red but with minimal 1/4 inch head that falls to nothing.

S - Hmm, cherries? Almost like cherry kool-aid. Still, not too sweet and very enticing.

T - Tart cherries with little malt or hop. Not overly tart though or excessively fruity. Amazing balance and very tasty. Delicious.

M - Great sweet carbonation tingle with medium body (not syrupy) and a slightly drying aftertaste. Leaves you wanting more.

D - Amazingly refreshing with no alcoholic effect, thus its quite drinkable. Not syrupy or overly sweet like most fruit beers. A must try and something I would often return to were it more available.

gmcfarre, Jul 04, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -23.5%

I don't think I got a bad bottle, the the beer store had this one in the fridge, I just think I'm not a fan. It did look gorgeous, I've never seen a pink cascading head before. The aroma, however, just reminded me of Juicy Juice, not a fine beer. The taste was a little more complex with a mild tartness and sweet cherry flavor. I really couldn't find much depth here. I'd go back to the Raspberry Tart before this one.

tempest, Jun 21, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a brownish color with definite red highlights. Small ivory head quickly dissipates to a ring around the flute. Smell is incredible, like opening a jar of fresh cherries. Very enticing smell. Taste is pretty much like cherry pie filling, with a lot of tartness and sourness. Not as sweet as I expected. Medium body is nice. One glass is great, but two glasses is too much. A nice dessert which is best shared with 3 friends, not 1 spouse.

Duster72, Jun 20, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured this 750 mL, dark green, waxed bottle into a snifter. No date. The body was a murky, red-brown. There was no head only a minimal sizzle upon pouring. No lace.

Smell was cherries! Pure cherry pie filling. Tart and sweet.

Taste was sweeter than anticipated, but never cloying. Flavor was like a liquid cherry turnover. This one is not complex but it is well fashioned. The light bitterness increased as it warmed. This beer is a dessert.

Mouthfeel was medium to full. Mild carbonation, slight slickness. A world class fruit beer.

Cresant, Jun 10, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

Yup, it's red. A mall amount of head but it dies in a hurry. Good lacing however.

Cherries!!! Totally one-dimensional but absolutely enticing.

Yeah, it's completely delicious. Very sweet without any notion of cloying-ness. The very essence of ripe cherries; dark sugar, crisp tartness and the feeling of being outdoors in the late summer. Lame? Go to Hell.

Feels great in body and crispness; just a touch of slickness on the finish.

It's a fruit beer, so what? It tastes so good and is absurdly easy to drink. This the first beer that worries me about having my kids get into and starting a habit. So good.

malcontent, Jun 07, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Tasted with bross242 and dannosparks.

Appearance - Pours a hazy red color. Does not produce too much head, and the little bit that there is dissapates quickly.

Smell - Wow, this is pleasure to smell. Cherry, cherry, and more cherry. It reminds me of smelling my grandma's cherry pie. Outstanding.

Taste - A bunch of cherry yet again. I am not much for fruit beers, but this is just fantastic. Can I say grandma's cherry pie once again.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability - This is an outstanding beer. The cherry is just fantastic. One of the best beers I have had in awhile. I would highly recommend trading for it!!

mjgardner, May 30, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

22oz bomber poured into a wine glass.

Many thanks to Tizzod for collecting the best midwestern brews for my recent visit.

This was my 4th New Glarus brew made with those fabulous Wisconsin montmorency cherries, and no doubt they shine most clearly here.

Beautiful clear ruby color, no head to speak of. Light carbonation. Aroma is fantastic, tangy fresh cherry, bright and clean and delicious. The flavor of cherries is similarly clear and unadorned, sweet balanced with some tartness, extremely fresh. The experience is really more a well made cherry wine or perhaps a hard cherry cider, any malt is not very apparent.

A very well made and delicious beverage. Still, it left me wanting more, something more mouthpuckeringly sour, something horseblanketly funky to play off these amazing cherries...the clear cherry flavor recalled my enjoyment of Drie Fonteinen's Schaerbeekse Kriek. Will the capable NG brewmaster try to make a true lambic someday? I certainly hope so!

kenito799, May 30, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to jj21 and EliteDigger for this wonderful brew.

750 mL bottle with a red waxed top. Poured into my universal Ommegang glass.

This beauty displays a thick ruby red hue with a thin head that dies down to a thin lacing soon after pour that remains throughout tasting. Smell is of what else, fresh cherries. The bottle claims they use over a pound of cherries in each bottle and I don't doubt that for a second. No alcohol on the nose at all, scary good odor. A bit of acidity seems to tickle the senses too. Taste is once again of what else, cherries. Starts off sweet and smooth and ends up tart and sour. I also detect a bit of bready malt in the flavor which helps balance some of the acidity. I think this beer tastes better than any juice I've ever had. Mouthfeel is light to medium body with a generous amount of carbonation bite. Drinkability is pretty good and goes down fairly easy but the acidity got to me a bit. If I could fill a pool with this beer and swim around in it, I would be the happiest man alive...I would be like Scrooge McDuck in Ducktales swimming in his coins. Well done New Glarus, can't wait for the Raspberry Tart.

BeerTruth, May 30, 2007