Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 958 | Hads: 3,222
4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Pours a cool raspberry color with an interesting light pink head. The head disipates somewhat quickly.

Smell: Scent of sharp cherries, with a touch of a musty, earthy smell. A kind of sweet/sour balance which is very well done. A hint of oak too. Very addictive aroma...

Taste: First impression is that of a sharp, cherry tart. This flavor stays the whole time, but doesn't smother the others. I pick up on cinnamon, which grows stronger as it warms. Slight spiciness too. I can tell this has been aged/stored in oak barrels, as there's a nice earthy, oak character on the tail end. I pick up on a slight sweet, bread/biscuit flavor as well. The balance of sweet and sour is absolutely incredible. Amazing well-done brew...

Mouthfeel: Sharp and acidic...this easily replaces Champange. Finishes very dry with an overall light to medium-light mouthfeel. Makes me hungry!

Drinkability: Really, really high...in the right place and mood. This isn't an everyday beer, but it truly is spectacular in the right setting.

For a while, I had heard how great and unique this beer was...the many awards...the constant critical praise, etc. Now that I've tried it, all of it is fully deserved. In true Belgian style, it stretches the bounderies of what beer is and can be. Objectively speaking, this is one of the best brews I've ever encountered.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

750ml bottled served at about 50 degrees and poured into several gold rimmed tulip glasses over the course of the evening.

A - Poured a wonderful fire engine red color with a very hazy, cloudy and murky look to it. Almost looked somewhat like a Hawaiian Punch type drink to put it in perspective. Very nice head of light pink colored foam then reached over top and formed a nice little pillow on the top of it that reached a height of about two fingers or so high. Nice gradual settling of this left behind little to no residual layer and just a small amount of side glass lace. Some carbonation was visible streaming up from the bottle of the glass, letting you know this one was still going strong.

S - The aroma was very thick and pungent, with huge smells of deep rich cherry that you could literally pick up from across the room they were so good. It was one of the freshest aromas I have encountered, being very sweet and at the same time still tart. Lots of sugar in this one and that was really very obvious from the first whiff you took. Now they say over a pound of cherries in each bottle, and I can believe it from this smell, it was tremendous and I could not wait to dive into this.

T - Now the taste, what can you really say about this one other then the fact it was pretty much perfect for the style. I have never had any fruit beer as good as the ones being put out now by New Glarus. They are really just tremendous in their freshness, depth and flavor and this was the prime example. From the first moment you took a sip it was all about a deeply rich, sweet, sour, tart, cherry flavor that is almost indescribable it is soo good. The level of sweetness at first was huge, but as I let it warm up it started to get a little more tart, without loosing any of the great flavors. There was just a tremendously large amount of fruit in here, really stronger then anything I had before, comparable only to their own raspberry tart, which was also in a world all its own. Really nothing much more I can say, I was almost speechless this was soo good. The finish again was very strong and very sweet, leaving me with a very long lasting flavor that was simply a treat to go back and get more of.

M - Seductively smooth and I really mean that. The consistency was like that of silk, very fine carbonation bubbles giving it that really smooth let alive feel that simply rolls around and really starts to pop on your tongue. Crisp and refreshing when cold and a perfect dessert as it warmed, this was just fantastic.

D- Now lets be honest here, sometimes went you get something loaded down with as much fruit and flavor as this it could be a little difficult to have that much of it as the flavor really starts to become a bit overwhelming. Not in the case here as I easily went through the bottle, and if I had more time and another bottle I might add, could have gone through that one as well. This was just really that good. Quite different from anything else and really just an awesome brew.

Overall I really do not have enough good things to say about this one. Every aspect of it was fantastic and I would gladly welcome a steady supply of it into my home. It is one of those things that are perfect for a special occasion or just sitting around watching a movie. Truly unique and in a world of its own, these New Glarus beers never cease to amaze me. I must start setting up some trades for this one ASAP.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

One pound of cherries per bottle? I'm there!

Poured from wax sealed bottle into New Belgium goblet. Pours a clear medium ruby red with about 1/2" foamy pinkish head that settles to a bubble film with some sticky lacing. Aroma is very strong sugary sweet but very tart cherries. Cherry is the only thing I can smell in this beer, but that's ok because I love cherries. The aroma literally makes my mouth water. Taste is intensely rich, sweet and tart cherries. I love it. It's like liquid cherry pie. Medium bodied, high carbonation, feels a little sticky sweet. The sweetness limits the drinkablility just a tad, it's a little cloying, but this beer is so delicious, I can't put the glass down. Couldn't drink this beer very often, but it makes a great treat once and a while.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

looks like I gave this beer - one of my all-time favorites - a 4.0 back in 2005, what a joke...delete and re-review

a: st. louis flute glass, the beer is a deep cherry red garnet, almost bloodlike though transparent, and capped with a tight pink head that eventually goes absent

s: no better way to describe this than cherry pie filling, not that canned shit but pure and fresh pureed cherries baked in their own liquid, a variety of overripe cherries, the barley lurks as a supporting unit and adds only a complimentary grainy depth, a pleasure to take in

m: delicate carbonation and a full, luscious body that borders becoming slick or syrupy but doesn't quite reach that point

t: this one wows me every time, it's absolutely flawless and the taste is easily the best feature of the beer, stewed cherries and fresh cherry pie, cherry fruit leather, sweetness delicately balanced with a touch of vitamin c acidity on the back of the tongue, barley sits in the back but adds a sweet toasty depth - the crust to this pie

d: had this many times over the years, both bottled and on-tap, and it's always a treat, hard to conceive how this ever gets a rating below 4

750 from the last Wisco voyage

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

New Glarus Belgian Red, my all-purpose bribe when I need an out-of-state friend to let me sleep on their couch. Reviews on here regularly start with "I usually don't like fruit beers, but...", and I'll add to that chorus, along with numerous people I've made try it. Pours a beautiful ruby red, with more of a fizz than a foam and a tremendous cherry aroma that foreshadows exactly what you're about to get yourself into. The bottle calls it "the marriage of wine and beer", although I'm not sure there's too much wine to it outside of the fact that it's partially fruit-derived. Instead, it's more like soda pop for grownups, emphasis on the for grownups part. It could easily have been too sweet like a Smirnoff Ice or the like, but instead, it lands in a very rare place - the sweet spot of sweet, if you will. There is practically no place I can think of where it wouldn't be drinkable - on its own, with dinner, even with dessert. The only complaint I have is that it has a way of disappearing far too soon.

I was greatly surprised to find that this offering by the folks at tiny New Glarus Brewery had the kind of national following that it does. It deserves it. Try it at least once.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

I've had a few store bought cherry beers and always been disappointed. Invariably they taste artificial and worst case artificial and cloying. I got this via trade and was uncertain how it would taste. Would it be a worst case? Would it be sour beyond belief?

Surprise! This beer rocks! From pour to taste it is an unadulterated, incredibly balanced beer which screams real cherries used! I felt as though I might actually be snacking on a ripe, fresh from the tree bowl of cherries! Best of all, this is done in a very complimentary beer and yeast combination. No worst case, no fruit cooler here. Just a wonderful blend of malt, yeast and cherries. Enjoy if you can get it!

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

Thanks to nflmvp for the two bottles of this. Served this chilled from a waxed 750ml bottle, into a tulip. Poured a murky, thisk, ruby color that had a brownish tint to it. Beer was capped off by a half inch of thin, tannish white head. Head faded almost immediately, and left virtually no lace behind. Smell was made up of mostly tart cherries. Black cherries, red cherries, dried cherries, they are all present in the nose. The taste was very one sided as well, but in a good way. All strong tart cherries. Definitely cherry pie in a bottle. Excellent tasting beer in my opinion. Had a nice thick, full, syrupy, tongue coating mouthfeel. Carbonation was right on as well. Awesome drinkability. Glad I have another bottle on hand. Another great New Glarus offering.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

This beer came to me by trade with dhchatfield. Thanks again for the great beers!

Appearance: The beer had a somewhat murky red coloration. The head was a thin white coloration. The head resolved fairly quickly.

Smell: The beer has a great smell. The beer has a fantastic cherry smell both sweetness and tartness alternate. Man this beer is a cherry bomb. The beer has a good spicy combination. The beer smells of spicey cloves, cinammon with a wiff of vanilla.

Taste: The beer lives up to the smell. Gods of beer thank you for this gift! This beer is a perfect balance of sweetness and tartness. The beer has good co-flavors. The beer has some spicey vanilla, cloves and I swear there is a apple flair in here.

Mouthfell/ Drinkability: The beer is light bodied. The beer is well carbonated. The beer has a bit of acidity that aides in drinkability. This was a very easy beer to drink. I couldnt see sessioning this beer. If you find your self in Wisconsin make sure to find some of this beer.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

The beer pours a rosy red color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is outstanding! It has a killer cherry scent that's so tart and refreshing. I love sour cherries in beer. This is very much like the aroma of Lindeman's Kriek. The taste is perfect! It captures the essence of what a fruit beer can and should be. It's bold and refreshing with tons of tart fruit character. The mouthfeel is perfect as well. It's medium bodied with good carbonation. This and their Raspberry tart are by leaps and bounds the best fruit beers on the planet. I only wish it wasn't so hard to get my hands on them. Thanks to Tim and Mary Anderson for the opportunity to try these.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

Being in Maryland, this beer is much like Romulan Ale; I have a few people who sneak me some bottles now and then. Wish they distributed more widely, but I'm also glad to have some meaningful regional variability left.

The beer pours a reddish/amber hue, almost like thin blood. Little head, but strong carbonation. First hint of what you're about to get comes with the smell, a tart cherry aroma not unlike Dr. Browns dark cherry soda.

The taste, mouthfeel and drinkability are all harmoniously welded. The balance between sour and sweet is incredible. Each receptor in your tounge is overwhelmed with flavor. Once you start to quaff this elixer, it's hard to stop. The body just demands more and more. If Belgian Red was sold by the gallon that'd be fine with me.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a cloudy rusty cranberry color with significant sedimentation. Small, light cream colored head turns to film quickly.

Smell. Smells like cherries on crack! Sweet and tart cherry smell somewhat alternating. General vague spiciness and oakiness. Perhaps cloves, vanilla, and apple also present. It smells so good I can't wait to get my lips on it. As it got warmer, it developed more of a musty-venous quality.

Taste. Tastes as cherry as it smells. Excellent transitions from tart to sweet and back. Great balance between malt and hops, although, the hops are down played by the fruity spicy goodness.

Medium bodied. Nice dry, refreshing finish. Not syrupy or watery; just right. This ain't no kool-aid! Very drinkable, provided you wanted a cherry bomb. I thought I would get sick of the cherry taste, but I wanted more. Maybe a little too easy to drink.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

Thank you Mark for this beer. We don't get New Glarus in IN, so this was a real treat.

A: Reminds me of the inside of a chocolate covered cherry. The amber hue when the chocolate and the cherry mix together.

S: I knew I was in for a good beer when I could taste it before the first sip. An overwhelmingly balanced yet intense smell of tart cherries, with a backdrop of some mild sweetness.

T: Strong but amazingly well balanced cherry taste. It is definitely real cherry here, no extract. Tart and sweet all at the same time.

M/D: Normally, I would say you couldn't drink more then one or two of these throughout the course of a night, not this one. It has a nice rich body with perfect carbonation. I really want to drive the four hours to Wisconsin to buy this again right now. For my first beer from New Glarus I would have to start the slow clap and build up to a thunderous roar...

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Murky amber to dark copper, something akin to a reddish cider, half of a finger of foam which quickly dropped, after the initial burst there are no signs of lingering carbonation - 4.50, S: Intensely aromatic of cherries, smells like a cherry pie filling, ever so slightly sour - 5.00, T: Like the nose this beer is overpoweringly cherry, a hint of champagne sparks/bubbly, beyond the cherry is a touch of what I perceive as prune juice, intensely sweet - 5.00 M: The sweetness seems to hang on the tongue like a syrup, otherwise medium bodied - 4.50, D: This is one special treat of a beer, one of the best dessert beers out there, a standout if you are a fan of the fruit beers - 4.50

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

The first time I sampled this brew was a blind taste test vs. Cantillion at a local bowling alley/restaurant/theater/music venue/beer and wine bar. NG came out on top!
Color is a rich, ripe, bright cherry red, with a short and soon departed head. Aroma is in a class of it's own: absolutely gorgeous! Rich, delicious, vinous, sweet, and sour, the perfect picture of cherries! It's utterly wonderful, and a joy to drink in deep with the nose!
On the palate, other tranformations occur: WOW! Dazzling, uplifting, and lovely! By tranformative, I mean that something new occurs in me, I am 100% happier by drinking this elixir, my mood is elevated, every atom has an energized attitude!
Several waves of sensation occur throughout the consumption of this ale, it jumps and jiggers in the mouth, surges in and sallies out. The taste continues, and the feeling wells up in and rides over every square inch of the body that is apt to perceive sensation! Finish is a bit tartish, but what do you want, it's cherries, man!
Wow...this was perfect, and I felt that the 750 ml wax finshed bottle was a bit stingy! Hook me up to a keg of this stuff!

4.81/5  rDev +10.3%

Thank you Les White for such a generous gift!

A- An aggressive pour yielded a thin, rose-tinged-tan-colored head, which quickly evaporated... no visible lacing, not much of a haze layer. The body is a completely opaque cherry-juice red (i.e. a medium reddish brown), with some little traces of carbonation.

S- WOW! The aroma is magnifiscent- like a bucket full of fresh cherry juice. The nose is incredibly rich, detected inches from the glass, and nothing about it seems synthetic! But it's hard to believe that such a wonderfully rich and dynamic nose could be fashioned without synthetic intervention! It's predominantly sweet, with just a touch of acetic notes there. Just amazing!

T- In the mouth, you get impressions of ripe natural cherry juice up front. Nothing that jumps-out as malt... just fresh delicious cherry juice. On the midpalate, this mild to moderate acetic quality jumps right in... whose acidity perfectly balances out the sweetness that was up-front. This slight acidic quality lingers into the finish, which is further dried-out by some mild tannins and some faint almondy notes. A very clean aftertaste. So rich and elegant.

M- Thin to medium body. Carbonation that walks the line between soft and coarse... perhaps "spritzy" is the word... and this spritzy carbonation works very well with the acidic bite you get on the palate. A fair amount of astringency, which is to be expected for the style.

D- This stuff goes down so incredibly well. I never would have expected so much aroma and flavor from a lower alcohol beer. Perfect for hot summer weather. This is definitely one of the biggest treats I have experienced all year!!!

4.81/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750ml bottle into a teku glass. 2013 vintage

Pours a crisp, dark ruby red with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates. The smell is of tart Door county cherries...very big aroma. The taste is just absolutely incredible. It starts out with a sharp tartness that quickly dissipates and turns into a sweet cherry juice flavor and then ends with this lingering dryness that leaves the taste in your mouth for awhile. im blown away at this beer. medium bodied, medium carbonation.

overall the best fruit beer in the world.

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

Appearance: minimal head, high carbonation, red in color, clear

Smell: sweet cherries and fresh fruit

Taste: sweet and tart cherries, light cinnamon. The cherries are layered here so there is excellent depth of flavor.

Mouthfeel: super light body, sweet with a touch of tartness, high carbonation, prickly

Overall:This sets the new bar for me in fruit beers. I love the depth of the cherry flavors. This one is borderline wine-like, but still has some beer flavor. The fruit seems natural and not in any way artificial. When I am back in Wisconsin next year, I will bring back several. One of my favorite beers in any style.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

First off, thanks to beerwolf77 for this beauty. Secondly, this is hands down the best cherry flavored beer on the planet.

A: Pours a cherry wood/pinkish color with a small white cap that retains for a minute or two then fades away.

S: Fresh, ripe, delicious cherries! Sweet smelling for sure, with a little twang. I don't pick up on any hops, and malts are pretty faint and hardly noticeable amongst the mass amounts of cherries. The cherries do not smell artificial at all, sweet and sour.

T: Wow...this is what a fruit beer should taste like. No artificial fruit, just ripe, sweet & sour cherries! Tastes like cherry cheesecake pie filling. Highly addicting, and completely different than "beer." Tastes more like a cherry flavored soda. The flavor makes you pucker, but then a sweet side comes out.

MF/D: Expect high carbonation because this is a light brew, light body, lingering sweet & sour cherry finish.

As far as fruit beers go, amazing...but not like typical beers. There were definitely moments where I just wanted to tip the glass back and chug, so be careful and refrain from doing so.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Huge thanks to zimmerbloke for the bottle! 750 mL waxed bottle into my trusty DFH signature glass.

A- Dark ruby red into brown with a fizzy off-white head. Quickly dissipates into a thin film.

S- Huge, heavenly tart cherry aroma. A little biscuity malt in the background, but mostly wet, juicy cherry.

T- Oh man. I may be biased, as cherry is one of my favorite flavors, but this is incredible. Big, wet, authentic cherry taste, balanced with a little spice and some biscuit malt. Tastes like a cherry pie.

M- Thin and fizzy, which works perfectly for a beer like this.

D- Can I give it a 6? This goes down so easily, and at 4%, I don't feel so guilty enjoying the whole bottle.

This stuff is phenomenal. One of all-time big wants since I started on BA, and no disappointment here. I could drink this everyday and be happy. So good.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Light red with a solid white head that dissipates fast. The color is unlike anything I've ever seen, and this makes the mouth water.

Nose is a powerhouse of cherries without any cloying sweetness, and a malt backbone so you know this is not just cherry juice.

Outstanding balance between the cherry and malt backbone, notes of deep stone fruit. If this is not a beer I don't know what is. Might be my favorite based on the clean cherry malt flavor, unmistably balanced perfectly. What a beer.

Light mouthfeel with good carbonation, almost fizzy in the mouth, accentuates the fruit. Oh so drinkable, a bomber for one is my kind of evening, though I usually have to share it with the spouse.

I know it's hard to make, but keep it up, Dan!

Drank from a 1 Pint 9 Fl. Oz. bottle
2007 vintage
Acquired in a trade with Beertracker
Served in a champagne flute

The beer poured a hazy, deep ruby red color with a creamy, two-finger, pink-ish tan head that slowly faded to a thick, clingy ring. Huge blocks of lacing cascaded down the glass.

The aroma was outrageously intense. Sweet, ripe cherries were instantly recognizable. A subtle, powdery yeast note was initially detectable, but it subsided as the beer warmed. Some sourness and a touch of oak came through as well.

The taste was a full-on flood of cherry juice. Sweet and syrupy yet not overly cloying. A bit of wheat came through up front. Candy-like in the center (cherry Jolly Ranchers came to mind) with a touch of cherry cough medicine on the sweet/semi-tart finish. Quite simple and straightforward, yet so good.

The mouthfeel was creamy and ultra-smooth with a fine, moderate carbonation. Light and fluffy on the palate.

This beer is simply candy in a bottle. It might be a good thing this is not distributed outside of Wisconsin because most people could not handle it.

Although I preferred Raspberry Tart to this beer (the bright pink head and tartness in flavor gave it a slight edge), both were truly phenomenal products. Now, if they only did distribute this outside of Wisconsin.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Eagerly anticipated. Pours rust in color with little head. A thin ring of carbonated foam remains after a few minutes. Aroma is of cherry juice and dark red cherries. Sweetness and a slight sour aroma. First sip reveals a slightly acidic and not as sweet as I anticipated. Not as tart as a kriek. Cherry flavor remains on tongue for half a minute after sipping. Not thick and syrupy, light on the tongue. Easily drinkable. Thanks to shippos for trade. This was worth getting.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Well. After visiting New Glarus a couple weeks ago & using 4 of my 6 tastings on Wisconsin Belgian Red, I figure I ought to review this. Probably sent at least a dozen of these out in trades/extras over the years.

Split up. Pours is a pure, filtered cherry red. No other way to describe it. Nose is ripe cherries, only better, mixed with a little sweet malt & fermented in the vats of angels. Or something liek that.

Wisconsin Belgian Red tastes just like it smells, but that simply doesn't do it justice. The cherry taste is pure & unadultered; unlike other breweries and/or ciders and/or Mike's stuff, there's absolutely zero medicinal taste. Nothing unreal. Nothing that tastes like it dropped out of a cough syrup or dye #40 or corn syrup. Just luscious cherry. Period. Full stop. OK, except better, Because this tastes bestester than real cherries. How'd they do that?

Smooth & easy. At 4%, this is the kind of fruity drink that you could do about anything with. Put it in a mixed drink. Slip it into a wine-drinkers glass. Give it to a BMC fanatic. Drink it all day, all night, & then again when you wake up.

Absolutely beautiful brew. It bears repeating: New Glarus could teach the world a lot about fruit beers. The only remaining question is: better than Raspberry Tart? That warrants a side-by-side. Good excuse to have another glass of each. Excellent.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer makes me long for my home state... Wisconsin.

A: Ruby amber in color, with a fluffy 2-finger off white head. Not much lacing. Looks fruity.

S: Scent of crunchy, tart cherries, with just a whiff of malt/wheat.

T: All about the cherries. Tart, delicious, beautiful cherries. Some sweetness balances it well, and it is never cloying. Finishes with a lingering cherry taste.

M: Medium bodied. Carbonation is perfect. Mildly effervescent.

D: ALL DAY. Light in alcohol, big in delicious flavor.

I don't know if it's possible to improve upon a beer like this... absolutely delicious. I wish I'd brought another back from WI after my last trip. Kudos to New Glarus.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

750 ml bottle acquired from scoobydank in a trade, thanks for giving me the chance to try this great beer

This one kicked off my incredible night of beer drinking, shared this with my girlfriend, she loves sours and was a huge fan of the Raspberry Tart, so I decided to pop this open while we watched a movie and I am glad I did

Poured into my Duvel tulip glass with a deep red color that was a little on the pink side when help up to the light and a light tan head that mellowed quickly, left lots of lacing the entire time

Smell was full of cherries and sour aromas, strong smells of sweetness

Taste was fantastic, best sour I have had up there with Funky Barrel, smooth start with super sweet cherries that fades into a nice and subtle sourness, not overpowering like most others I have had, just a great fruity taste overall, could taste the small amount of hops that were thrown into balance the abundance of fruit, gave it a nice bitter side at one point, lots and lots of cherries in this one but they are nicely distributed, this fruit beer blew my mind

Only bad thing about this is the large amounts of carbonation, could be too much at times but still a nice body and mouthfeel

Could drink this all day if it was not so sweet, but other than that it is only five percent alcohol and does not fill you up at all, goes down really easy

Second beer from New Glarus and another winner, best fruit beer/wild ale I have ever had next to Supplication, highly recommended, wish I had more of this stuff, get some as soon as possible

This is definitely a beer that deserves to be towards the top of the list on the Best of BA

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company