Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

A delicious example of what New Glarus fruit brews offer.

In the front, Luden's cough drops and Starburst cherry flavors. A touch of tart quality with lots of red candy cherry fruit flavor. A touch of malt in the middle and a tart quality that dries out the beer.

A good amount of flavor for the ABV. They stand pretty similar in quality for me so far.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Slightly cloudy blood red pour. Large soda-like red-tinged head. Retention is decent. Small amount of lacing.

S: Tart, overripe cherries. Then sweet cherries. Then cherry soda. Interesting.

T: Whoa. Up front it's like carbonated super sweet cherry syrup. Then it turns tart and very drying. Crisp. Very little aftertaste. The combination of sweet and tart flavors is I dare say, perfect for the style. I've never had a cherry fruit beer that even comes close. How can I not give it a 5?

M: Smooth, clean, crisp. Just right. Not watery or thin at all which I was worried about given the low ABV.

O: This is a hard one to rank. It's barely beer, BUT it's SO GOOD. For the style it is one of the very best - perhaps even THE best.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours somewhere between brown and red with a one-finger head of extremely fine ivory-colored carbonation that quickly recedes into a thin ring around the edges of the glass. Agitation brings up new head and splashes lacing all over the glass. Not as striking as the Raspberry Tart, but pretty stunning.

Smells like fresh cherries, maybe better cherries than I've ever actually eaten, with lots of acidity and a little bit of sweetness. That's all there is, but that's all there needs to be.

Tastes like it smells, and oh my god, is that good. Opens up with a splash of fruity, concentrated cherry flavor leading into a huge snap of mouth-puckering, eye-watering tartness. The sour cherry flavor lingers forever, to the point that I'm tempted to stop brushing my teeth so that I can taste this beer forever.

I'm using the term "beer" loosely here, because with this and the raspberry tart, New Glarus has really pushed the limits, even further than any Belgian brewery. A bit more beerlike than the raspberry tart, if only by virtue of not being screaming purple.

Mouthfeel is light with moderate carbonation, and is defined almost entirely by tartness.

Drinkability is outstanding, although I want to and have to drink it slow.

I want to be buried with this beer. Or the raspberry, that'd be fine too.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a fluted glass.

A: Mahogany color with small foamy head that dissipates quickly.
S: Tart cherries. Very similar to the smell of Luden's cherry flavored cough drops.
T: Sweet and tart cherry notes in the beginning, full cherry flavor in the middle and tartness in the ending.
M: Low to medium body with high carbonation.
D: This is pretty darn tasty if you're into cherries. A bit hard to finish the whole bottle, unless you really love cherries. Very good stuff. Try it, at least!

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A bottle split with new friends and neighbors at our first neighborhood block party. The lady and myself were new to the neighborhood and wanted to make a nice impression. This did the trick. Everyone loved this and wanted to know where to buy one. Looks like I'll need to stock up for the next get-together.

Red and fizzy, this looks more like a cherry soda than a beer. Great head, looks like a pillows atop a red sheet of lush beer.

Smell is wonderful cherry juice. Wow, this is incredible. No beer qualities at all, just natural (no Ludens here) cherries. Just a touch too sweet, otherwise it would be a 5.

Taste is wonderful Cherry is of course the leader on this journey. Some non-lacto tartness from the natural cherries. Just perfect fruit flavor, such depth, all of it natural layers - a deep dive into this lovely fruit. Never fake or cloying. How did they do this? I know, if they told me they'd have to kill me. Well, if there are 72 cases of this in heaven, I'm in.

Mouthfeel is perfect and IMO is easily the best feature of this wonderful beer. Wow, just enough body to be substantial and a perfect lively carbonation. Nectar of the gods I tell ye! And drinkability is close to perfect too. Just a bit too much cherry overload to do a bottle by myself. A perfect party beer to share with good friends and new friends.

Funny story, I wandered away from the group to do a quick audio rating and it turns out I ran into a neighbor who was having a smoke. We discussed the beer and, in the course of the conversation with the recorder running, I made my observations that are captured here over the course of a 5 minute conversation.

This will be a staple of our future tastings with the neighbors!

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A trip to this brewery was well worth it. This beer comes in a larger bottle with wax over the cap.

The "red" pours with a nice powerful head and is bright red in color. The nose is very fruity.

Taste is fresh, sweet, very cherry and clean and at the same time a little earthy. The sweet and earthy seems like an impossible combination. The mouth feel is like sweet tarts. Lots of bite. This is such a refreshing beer for a summer day. Best served cool. The only reason I discounted the drinkability is the sweetness. It may be hard to drink much of this at once. I would be hard pressed to find a better beer in this category. It is easy to see how this beer won the Belgian beer contest IN BELGIUM!!

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a waxed 750 ml bottle into a tall New Glarus Signature Pilsner Glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep amber red with a lot of rising bubbles. Solid two fingers of light pinkish white head which slowly fade into a thin creamy layer. Leaves a lot of creamy lacing around the glass.

Smell: A crisp, sweet, and very juicy aroma with a huge scent of cherries and some yeast. Very fruity and juicy throughout with a big upfront scent of fresh cherries. The fruit smells nicely sweet and tart but far from cloying. Bready presence of wheat and pale malt with hints of grains, yeast, and cracker. Also some hints of oak and vanilla. Subtle presence of earthy hops in the background. A really great juicy aroma.

Taste: Like the aroma hints at, a juicy, sweet, and spritzy taste with a huge presence of cherries along with some malt and subtle hops. Big dominate taste of fresh cherries which taste nicely tart with a good restrained sweetness. Solid backing presence of bready wheat and malt with notes of grain, cracker, and yeast. Some notes of oak and light vanilla come through. Subtle background notes of earthy hops as well. A very good juicy fruit taste.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a fairly high level of carbonation. Very juicy, spritzy, and creamy. Sweetness is nicely balanced. Very smooth feel.

Overall: A really great fruit beer. One of the best American takes on the style. Great taste of real fresh cherries.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Over a pound of cherries in every bottle! This is an amazing fruit beer. The best cherry flavored fruit beer I've had thus far. Brewed with, " whole Montmorency cherries, Wisonsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barley".

This was a deep rich red color with a pinkish foamy head.

Aroma was of cherries and a slightly belgian candi sugar smell, but not too sweet and the taste was not cloying at all.

Flavor was Cherry, Cherry, Cherry with some slightly sweet belgian yeasty, sugary notes. A little bready, wild, farmhouse taste.

I can't drink too many fruit beers but if I had to this would be the one.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a hazy brownish red with a reddish white head that quickly dissipates. Aroma is awesome. Smells like a Cherry Crisp fresh out of the oven; tartness of the cherries mingled with the sweetness of the brown sugar and cinnamon. I could sniff this one endlessly. Taste is dominated by cherries, but a wonderful balance between sweet and tart has been struck. Medium mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. Drinkability is maintained by the balance between the sweetness and tartness; my 750ml bottle was gone too quickly. While I'd still prefer a good IPA or porter overall, this is a very good beer that is excellent within it's style and can make for a nice change of pace.

#100th Review

Poured and shared with friends, as part of bday celebration for a work buddy and myself.

Poured into 4 seperate glasses. Body is dark red, near amber. Has a hazy hue that is rather glowing when held up to light. Faint head, with a finger post pour, but which quickly dissipates. No real head to speak of.

Wow. Umm...wow. The nose reminds me of (dare I say it?)...watermelon jolly ranchers. Seriously. I mean, I thought I was crazy, but it is so dang potent. I think it is more of an insult to Jolly Rancher than New Glarus, but so much candied cherry comes off the nose it is divine. Mild dryness, but the cherries are the main attraction.

More of the same. Watermelon Jolly Rancher. Seriously. Oak notes come in through the mid body, which leaves a mild tingling sensation through the finish. Incredible cherry domination though. Cherry, cherry, and more cherry. Sweet, light and playful. Not cloying in any sense. The beer is there, but the cherry flavor is most pleasant. So well done and balanced, even for the amount of raw cherry flavor that is there.

Mild carbonation, with an oily mouthfeel that lingers well into the next sip.

I am super impressed. An exceptional beer. Makes me look forward to their Raspberry Tart with much more anticipation and longing.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Cool artisial green bottle with red wax seal over the cap and neck. Murky, dingy reddish-brown color. Pink tinged beige rocky head. Fades to a nice thin sheet over the beer. WOW ! is right, incredible full, fresh cherries. Earthy, stems, skins, the whole damn thing in there. Unbelievable aromas. Taste is tart, sweet, and chock full of fresh cherries. Liquid cherry pie. Sweetness shines more that sour, although there is a sharp sour after-taste that finishes up, but doesn't distract. Full cherry taste is every sip. Tight full carbaonation. Medium to light bodied, but more medium. Very good, either as a refreshing guzzler or a sipper. Wow an impressive beer and a treat to be sure. Thanks to bditty, I think this is the last beer of our blockbuster trade last year.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

A pint sized bottle poured into a stemmed glass. No bottled date. Many thanks to BeerFMAndy for the trade!

(A)- Pours a dark red maroon with ruby red highlights with an off-white to pink head that quickly disspated.

(S)- Sweet yet tart cherries that smell so creamy, that it smells just like a cherry pie with whipped cream! Biscuity/ sugary pie crust; amazing!

(T)- Mountains of sweet yet tart cherries that pretty much is equivalent to how it smells. New Glarus has officially bottled and liquified cherry pie into beer form! Delicious.

(M)- Ample carbonation level that borders on fizzy, but it fits the beer perfectly. Sweet, yet near puckered levels. Fantastically balanced and complex.

(D)- I could drink this all day if I could. A great dessert or apertif beer that would even please and surprise those non-beer drinkers that you know!

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750ml capped bottle, topped with melted red wax. No date evident.

Deep hazy opaque pinkish red. Moderate, dense, pink head, leaves light lacing. Head dissipates rapidly. The appearance is perhaps the only place where the beer suffers a bit, but this was shipped to me, so it hasn't been treated the most kindly.

Aroma: intense fruity tart cherries, sugar, and little else. Yummy! Dessert!

Taste: the perfect sweetness of cherries, with very slight tartness, and a thick sweet sugary mouth. Slightly tingly carbonation.

The taste lingers on and on, with sweet sweet tart cherry. Yummy, candy-like stuff. Very, very slight vegetal taste in the finish.

I almost wonder if this has been formulated to be even sweeter than when I first had it in 2000, but it's difficult to say. It's delicious now, and it was delicious then.

I love this stuff. I could drink it every damn day, all damn day. It's damned delightful.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Although I have had this beer many times over the last 7 or 8 years, I never felt rushed to review it, figuring I'd just get it next time.

The time is now, after we split a five year old bottle last weekend (thanks so much Marty) in the backyard.

I was amazed that the fruit presence was still so prevalent, the cherries as fresh and juicy as the day they went into the barrels. I was blown away by how well this one held up for such a low alcohol beer.

Pours a hazy reddish-brown color with a suggestion of slightly pinkish foam on top. The aroma is all fresh cherries, with a very light tartness, some vanilla and malt. Light bodied and refreshing, lightly tart, a little malt, but mostly delicious fresh cherries.

Incredible.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Got in a trade: thanks RRC87! My first winter shipment so I had to have a cold one right out of the box. Split with my wife.

A. Pours a hazy deep red with brown and burnt orange highlights. A small off-white head rises up ever so slightly and leaves night trails of residual lacing down the glass.

S. Tart cherry with vanilla, a touch of oak, and a bit of medicinal character.

T. Tart cherries with some oaky wood character. These give way to a bit more sweetness with some vanilla and a touch of lemon juice. Ends fairly dry with just a touch of residual tartness.

M. On the light side of medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation that helps pick up the residual flavors on swallow.

D. Incredibly drinkable - I wasn't a big fan of the raspberry tart so I got these for my wife not expecting to like them too much. It looks like I'll be trading for some more of these in the near future.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to a good friend in Wisconsin for shipping me some of this! I have the Raspberry Tart up next.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter style glass.

A: Beer pours an absolutely gorgeous red color that is clear, effervescent, but has little to no head or lacing.

S: Smells like cherries and nothing else. Reminds me of a cherry pie from the smell, slightly tart and slightly sweet.

T: I can't imagine a fruit beer tasting any better than this. It's straight cherry pie filling that is refreshing and so good. Goes down really easy, but I like to sip it because the tartness coats my mouth with each sip and I want more.

M: A little undercarbonated maybe, but aside from that I have no complaints. This one is great.

D: I don't think I could drink more than 2 8oz glasses of this due to its tartness, but man does it taste good.

This may be the best fruit beer on the planet. I know I haven't had a better one yet, but it is very delicious and ANYONE beer drinker or not should seek this one out if they get a chance. This could convert some non-beer drinkers to start.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to burnheartsMKE for sending me this one!

Pours a murky cranberry juice red with a tiny 1/2 light red head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. No lacing whatsoever. Smells of fresh sweet cherries in their own juice. A very fresh and mouthwatering smell. Taste is very much like the liquid form of a cherry flavored Jolly Rancher. Very sweet yet slightly tart at the same time in a perfect balance. This is a very carbonated beer that is very crisp and clean in the mouth. Overall, an awesome fruit beer all around and probably the best cherry flavored beer I have ever had. I will seek out more of these for sure.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

I poured this one from a 750ml green waxed and crown-capped bottle into my New Glarus tall flute glass.

A= This beer poured a light and bright red color with thin fizzy pink and white head. The head quickly dropped to zero and did not leave any lace on the glass.

S= There was an incredible aroma on this beer. I found lots of fresh cherry and almond/marzipan in the nose. It was simple and perfect.

T= Very good flavor profile of cherries (obviously fresh - not canned or concentrate) and almond paste. Sweet but not cloying in any way. Slightly tart in the finish with a lingering cherry aftertaste.

MF= Medium bodied with a crisp carbonation level that felt great on the tongue.

D= A world class beer for sure and deserved of all the hype. Easily my favorite fruit beer ever and one I will gladly have again and again.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

It poured a hazy red. It had a slightly pink one finger head. No carbonation activity could be seen.

It smelled like a delicious like malt and cherries.

It had a perfect balance of cherry punch, malt texture and mild oak flavor. It had a wonderful medium body that went down easy and finished with a nice fruit tart.

This is an amazingly drinkable beer. I have had it more times than I can count. Every time that I have this beer I am amazed by how good it is.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Ruddy red colored pour with a small loose head. Tart cherry and sweet pie aroma with a hint of funk. Sweet tart cherry pie flavor with slight cane sugar, vinegar, apple cider and biscuit. The body is sticky, medium full with lots of effervescent carbonation.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%