Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,887 | Reviews: 926

#100th Review

Poured and shared with friends, as part of bday celebration for a work buddy and myself.

Poured into 4 seperate glasses. Body is dark red, near amber. Has a hazy hue that is rather glowing when held up to light. Faint head, with a finger post pour, but which quickly dissipates. No real head to speak of.

Wow. Umm...wow. The nose reminds me of (dare I say it?)...watermelon jolly ranchers. Seriously. I mean, I thought I was crazy, but it is so dang potent. I think it is more of an insult to Jolly Rancher than New Glarus, but so much candied cherry comes off the nose it is divine. Mild dryness, but the cherries are the main attraction.

More of the same. Watermelon Jolly Rancher. Seriously. Oak notes come in through the mid body, which leaves a mild tingling sensation through the finish. Incredible cherry domination though. Cherry, cherry, and more cherry. Sweet, light and playful. Not cloying in any sense. The beer is there, but the cherry flavor is most pleasant. So well done and balanced, even for the amount of raw cherry flavor that is there.

Mild carbonation, with an oily mouthfeel that lingers well into the next sip.

I am super impressed. An exceptional beer. Makes me look forward to their Raspberry Tart with much more anticipation and longing.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Cool artisial green bottle with red wax seal over the cap and neck. Murky, dingy reddish-brown color. Pink tinged beige rocky head. Fades to a nice thin sheet over the beer. WOW ! is right, incredible full, fresh cherries. Earthy, stems, skins, the whole damn thing in there. Unbelievable aromas. Taste is tart, sweet, and chock full of fresh cherries. Liquid cherry pie. Sweetness shines more that sour, although there is a sharp sour after-taste that finishes up, but doesn't distract. Full cherry taste is every sip. Tight full carbaonation. Medium to light bodied, but more medium. Very good, either as a refreshing guzzler or a sipper. Wow an impressive beer and a treat to be sure. Thanks to bditty, I think this is the last beer of our blockbuster trade last year.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

A pint sized bottle poured into a stemmed glass. No bottled date. Many thanks to BeerFMAndy for the trade!

(A)- Pours a dark red maroon with ruby red highlights with an off-white to pink head that quickly disspated.

(S)- Sweet yet tart cherries that smell so creamy, that it smells just like a cherry pie with whipped cream! Biscuity/ sugary pie crust; amazing!

(T)- Mountains of sweet yet tart cherries that pretty much is equivalent to how it smells. New Glarus has officially bottled and liquified cherry pie into beer form! Delicious.

(M)- Ample carbonation level that borders on fizzy, but it fits the beer perfectly. Sweet, yet near puckered levels. Fantastically balanced and complex.

(D)- I could drink this all day if I could. A great dessert or apertif beer that would even please and surprise those non-beer drinkers that you know!

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750ml capped bottle, topped with melted red wax. No date evident.

Deep hazy opaque pinkish red. Moderate, dense, pink head, leaves light lacing. Head dissipates rapidly. The appearance is perhaps the only place where the beer suffers a bit, but this was shipped to me, so it hasn't been treated the most kindly.

Aroma: intense fruity tart cherries, sugar, and little else. Yummy! Dessert!

Taste: the perfect sweetness of cherries, with very slight tartness, and a thick sweet sugary mouth. Slightly tingly carbonation.

The taste lingers on and on, with sweet sweet tart cherry. Yummy, candy-like stuff. Very, very slight vegetal taste in the finish.

I almost wonder if this has been formulated to be even sweeter than when I first had it in 2000, but it's difficult to say. It's delicious now, and it was delicious then.

I love this stuff. I could drink it every damn day, all damn day. It's damned delightful.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Although I have had this beer many times over the last 7 or 8 years, I never felt rushed to review it, figuring I'd just get it next time.

The time is now, after we split a five year old bottle last weekend (thanks so much Marty) in the backyard.

I was amazed that the fruit presence was still so prevalent, the cherries as fresh and juicy as the day they went into the barrels. I was blown away by how well this one held up for such a low alcohol beer.

Pours a hazy reddish-brown color with a suggestion of slightly pinkish foam on top. The aroma is all fresh cherries, with a very light tartness, some vanilla and malt. Light bodied and refreshing, lightly tart, a little malt, but mostly delicious fresh cherries.

Incredible.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Got in a trade: thanks RRC87! My first winter shipment so I had to have a cold one right out of the box. Split with my wife.

A. Pours a hazy deep red with brown and burnt orange highlights. A small off-white head rises up ever so slightly and leaves night trails of residual lacing down the glass.

S. Tart cherry with vanilla, a touch of oak, and a bit of medicinal character.

T. Tart cherries with some oaky wood character. These give way to a bit more sweetness with some vanilla and a touch of lemon juice. Ends fairly dry with just a touch of residual tartness.

M. On the light side of medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation that helps pick up the residual flavors on swallow.

D. Incredibly drinkable - I wasn't a big fan of the raspberry tart so I got these for my wife not expecting to like them too much. It looks like I'll be trading for some more of these in the near future.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to a good friend in Wisconsin for shipping me some of this! I have the Raspberry Tart up next.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter style glass.

A: Beer pours an absolutely gorgeous red color that is clear, effervescent, but has little to no head or lacing.

S: Smells like cherries and nothing else. Reminds me of a cherry pie from the smell, slightly tart and slightly sweet.

T: I can't imagine a fruit beer tasting any better than this. It's straight cherry pie filling that is refreshing and so good. Goes down really easy, but I like to sip it because the tartness coats my mouth with each sip and I want more.

M: A little undercarbonated maybe, but aside from that I have no complaints. This one is great.

D: I don't think I could drink more than 2 8oz glasses of this due to its tartness, but man does it taste good.

This may be the best fruit beer on the planet. I know I haven't had a better one yet, but it is very delicious and ANYONE beer drinker or not should seek this one out if they get a chance. This could convert some non-beer drinkers to start.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to burnheartsMKE for sending me this one!

Pours a murky cranberry juice red with a tiny 1/2 light red head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. No lacing whatsoever. Smells of fresh sweet cherries in their own juice. A very fresh and mouthwatering smell. Taste is very much like the liquid form of a cherry flavored Jolly Rancher. Very sweet yet slightly tart at the same time in a perfect balance. This is a very carbonated beer that is very crisp and clean in the mouth. Overall, an awesome fruit beer all around and probably the best cherry flavored beer I have ever had. I will seek out more of these for sure.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

I poured this one from a 750ml green waxed and crown-capped bottle into my New Glarus tall flute glass.

A= This beer poured a light and bright red color with thin fizzy pink and white head. The head quickly dropped to zero and did not leave any lace on the glass.

S= There was an incredible aroma on this beer. I found lots of fresh cherry and almond/marzipan in the nose. It was simple and perfect.

T= Very good flavor profile of cherries (obviously fresh - not canned or concentrate) and almond paste. Sweet but not cloying in any way. Slightly tart in the finish with a lingering cherry aftertaste.

MF= Medium bodied with a crisp carbonation level that felt great on the tongue.

D= A world class beer for sure and deserved of all the hype. Easily my favorite fruit beer ever and one I will gladly have again and again.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

It poured a hazy red. It had a slightly pink one finger head. No carbonation activity could be seen.

It smelled like a delicious like malt and cherries.

It had a perfect balance of cherry punch, malt texture and mild oak flavor. It had a wonderful medium body that went down easy and finished with a nice fruit tart.

This is an amazingly drinkable beer. I have had it more times than I can count. Every time that I have this beer I am amazed by how good it is.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Ruddy red colored pour with a small loose head. Tart cherry and sweet pie aroma with a hint of funk. Sweet tart cherry pie flavor with slight cane sugar, vinegar, apple cider and biscuit. The body is sticky, medium full with lots of effervescent carbonation.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Got to love the wax sealed 750ml bottle.Pours a really wild looking candy apple red. Not much of a head but lots of fizz up from the bottom.

Smells quite cherryish. Shocker eh?

Tastes like liquid pie. There's really not a whole lot to tell about it. Very sweet up front with a slight drying sweetness in the back. It's complexity lies in the fact that it tastes like eating a cherry man!

Mouthfeel is quite syrupy, which I enjoy in my pie.

I like pie.

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

This pretty much looks like a bottle of wine, and the whole red wax seal thing was kind of interesting. Poured a cloudy redish orange brown. Kind of the color of rust. Pretty big fruity smell, mostly of cherries and maybe a little hint of citrus. What little head there was dissipated very quickly. Very lively on the tongue. Both sweet and tart with a nice cherry fruit taste. Be sure to lick your lips after taking a drink of this one, because the taste you'll find there is delicious! Carbonation was just right, and the balance was perfect with the tartness offsetting the sweetness. Not sure I detected much hop flavor. Overall a very drinkable beer, which is good with such a huge bottle!

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Big thanks go out to Zimmerbloke for yet another great concoction from Wisconsins finest! I split the 750 with my wife as a dessert beer.

The pour into two tulips is straight up cranberry juice with a 3 finger ecru head atop. No lacing is evident.

Smell is sweet and sour cherries. A little medicinal quality gives it a little kick.

Taste is sweet tart cherry pie with the spice to boot. Nutmeg and allspice help round out the flavors.

Mouthfeel is moderate and sticky. The drinkability is way to easy. I drank my portion way to quickly and wished for another glass immediately.

ISO more! Amazing beer I would enjoy frequently if I lived in Wisconsin. Track this down and drink it now! You will not regret it.

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks to waltonc for this one. He opened up as a dessert beer on Thanksgiving and shared the wealth amongst several friends. It was made even better by this being the best fruit beer I've ever had by far.

A: A darker rose (the wine, not the flower), with a bubbly effervescence and small tannish head

S: Cherry, with a big dose of caramel malt. The cherry is definitely the highlight here. Totally reminds me of the cherries in wine and throughout Door County, where my grandparents lived for years and cherry country of Wisconsin. Just awesome.

T/M: Everything on the smell, with a nice refreshing spritzer-like mouthfeel. Too many fruit beers are heavy and cloyingly sweet. This was the exact opposite. Clean, fruity, refreshing.

D: Exceptionally drinkable. It only gets dinged by the fact that it's difficult to be had.

Overall, a truly awesome beer that I'm glad to have had the opportunity to try.

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a cherryish,hazy dark brown with a head that is quick to come and go. Aroma is intoxicatingly filled with cherries and a underlying sweetness. I was hoping this would not be nearly as sweet as the Lindeman's kriek and was quite pleased to find out it is the opposite. Cherry and sweet flavors lay on top of what is a quite pleasing sourness. The sourness does just enough to make sure that the beer does not end up tasting to much out of whack. A great feat by the brewer. Drinkability is a little low due to the intense flavors on this beer.

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance - in need of something fruity, guaranteed to wash away the taste of a few spoiled bottles. I've had this one since last April - it's time. Pours a clouded, dirty red into a lambic flute. The layer of foam has a purplish ring at the top, like the cherry sediment is trapped and can't fall through the head.

Aroma - earthy, intense, pulpy cherries, outstanding. Not over the top sweet or sugary. For its intensity it's not a heavy aroma, very nice.

Taste - sweet cherry juice, then a hit of green apple tartness. Mmmm... There is a faint hint of graininess behind the tart, it peeks out when I'm not paying attention. The aftertaste is dry and tart with an acidic fruit finish.

Mouthfeel - almost a soft drink level of carbonation. The smoothness is like orange juice; it really amplifies the fruit and carries the beer up a notch.

Drinkability - what a fruit beer. Too heavy for sessioning, but awesome for sharing and tastings.

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours with two fingers of slight red/pink head. Thin layer retained while drinking with random sticky lacing left behind. Medium amount of active carbonation in glass while drinking. The color is ruby red and is very clear and transparent.

Smell: Juicy, sweet, sugary wonderfulness explodes out of the glass. The cherries make your mouth absolutely water with a sweetness that is so potent but kept in check from being obnoxiously sweet with true mastery. Some grassy earthy hops can be picked up on the back end.

Taste: Sugary cherries hit right away with a perfect amount of lingering sourness. Its unbelievable how potent and perfectly the cherries are about to dominate this brew. The sourness continues to linger through on the body with some light oak character. Grainy earthy hops sit on the palate after with of course continuing cherries.

Mouthfeel: Light dryness, lingering sugary rounded sweetness, and some grainy hop character.

Overall: Cannot help but love these masterpieces from New Glarus. No other brewery I've had can bring out the fruit character more potently and perfectly. Their sweetness is always kept from going too far. These are an absolute must try.

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Acquired this beer from dunt via Support Your Local Team BIF so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!

A: This beer pours a very light reddish, brown color with one finger of sudsy almost rose colored head. Head recedes rapidly and leaves sticky spider webbed lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is of extremely sweet candied cherries. Somewhat like a chocolate covered cherry.

T: Taste starts with a nice sweet candied cherry flavoring. Taste then moves in to an almost chocolate covered cherry flavoring before a nice tartness comes in and really holds through the finish.

M: Light bodied, medium carbonation, nice crisp with a dry finish.

D: Goes down ridiculously easy, not too filling, mild kick, this is a great beer that I could have again and again.

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company