1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

Wants: 1,034
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

The last of the reviews I'm gonna write up on the beers we had last night. I wouldn't trust my palate or memory to accurately recall anything more than the first couple we had. Fortunately the first couple were classics.

Deep blood red body with a foamy off-white head. Sticky lace. Full on kriek aroma - sour cherries, leather and a touch of cider. Sour cherry flavour with a great deal of funk, leather and sugar. A pound of cherries in each bottle and you can tell. In terms of its profile and intensity it reminded me a lot of ice cider. Full, decadent mouthfeel and slightly sticky. This would make a great dessert beer.

Its fascinating and special. I hope my wife can bring me some of this back from the midwest... it may well make up for her chickening out on the growler of masala mama.

Cheers Troy!

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

nflmvp brought me this one. Big thanks.

A - Hazy muted red with a white head that fades quickly. Looks sort of like carbonated juice.

S - Sweet, tart cherries dominate the smell.

T - Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb! Yeah. I went there. Very sweet cherry flavor. Tastes like a carbonated version of French Lick Winery's Montmorency Cherry. Very good. Slight malt in the finish.

M - I love the way it coats your mouth and sticks with you. The carbonation really adds to the whole experience.

D - Goes down really smooth. No alcohol detected at all. But that's not really a surprise.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip.

A - Poured red, with a thin white head that quickly became a whispy layer with ring around. Some spotty lacing that sticks to the end.

S - Cherries. That's it.

T - Both tart and sweet cherries. It's sweet but finishes tart.

M - Crisp carbonation. Medium thickness.

D - This is a pretty good fruit beer.

Fruit doesn't belong in beer. That being said, this was a pretty good fruit beer.

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a taster-sized nonic and shared with my girlfriend.

A - A pretty straight forward red color, off-white fizzy head, some lacing.

S - Cherries, cherries, and cherries. Some sweet, some tart. A small hint of a beer, but not really, more like a fruit drink.

T - Sweet cherries up front and a nice tartness on the finish. Some creamy flavors, very good. I really love the cherry flavors and it's better then I would have expected with this beer.

M - Rich and smooth, like yogurt or sorbet, medium in body. Very good, and perfectly constructed for this type of beer.

D - Split this with my girlfriend but probably could have easily split this three ways. We finished it easily, but my craving for this type of beer has been satisfied for a while.

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Clear, red. Reddish/tan head.

S: Screams sweet cherry candy. Almost too much to handle...gotta dive right in!!

T: Obviously cherry. Some hints of vanilla, and light malts. The cherry blows away everything, but, at a pound of cherries per bottle, why not? The sweetness gives away to a fairly tart, not sour, finish.

M: Lighter than the the Rasberry tart. Not as gooey-sweet.

D: Too much fruit for one person to finish off a whole bottle, but, found it to be a superior after dinner drink. Nicely done, Dan!

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On to the Wisconsin Belgian Red. Another beautiful beer from NG. Clear reddish amber, slightly less red than the Raspberry Tart. A nice pinkish hued head rose to sit atop the brew in the NG flute. It has settled to leave a nice collar, and leaves some intricate sticky lacings.

Ripe cherry, a touch of vanilla, and hints of pale malts greet the nose. A mild level of funkiness also present in the aroma.

Nice flavour of ripe cherry with a touch of vanilla. Some hints at pale malts. Some decent funkiness adds depth to the brew.

Quite tart and well attenuated, although there is some residual sweetness. Light bodied and almost effervescent, much like a champagne.

Another excellent desert brew from NG. Much like the Raspberry Tart this would pair well with anything chocolate. Highly recommended to any fan of cherries and tart and funky fruit brews. Ill be enjoying this one again soon enough.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to LJArsenal for the trade!

Poured into a champagne flute; nice clear red color with a little bit of visible carbonation. Half inch white head with not much retention but it did have good lacing on the glass during the drinking period.

Aroma of funk/mildew, cherries, and cinammon sugar.

Flavor was all tart sour cherries. A little zing of funk/vinegar at the end. Good sweet/sour balance.

Medium bodied, well carbonated with a good sweet/sour aftertaste that lingered on the tounge. Did feel a bit syrupy though after a while.

Good for after dinner or a single drink, I believe it may be too syrupy to have any more than a single glass. I'm glad (and she's glad too) that I shared this with my girlfriend. She loved it. Looking forward to more of this stuff!

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

G: Half poured into a brandy snifter and half poured into a flute, per the bottle's suggested glassware.

A: Beautifully bright dark cherry color with an off-white, red-tinted head that recedes rather quickly. Pretty decent lacing.

S: Sweet and tart cherries. Not that anyone outside of Chicago would recognize this reference, but it reminds me of the smell of a Jewel cherry lattice coffee cake, which in my book is a very good thing. Don't want to harp on this too much, but it's unbelievable how much cherry smell there is without at all smelling like cherry cough drops or medicine.

T: Quite tart at the outset, fading into an incredible cherry sweetness. Cherry perfection.

M: Light-bodied with moderate carbonation and a constant tartness. Beautiful.

D: Absolutely sublime. If I were able to get this at all times, I would never have a mimosa ever again. The perfect fruit-flavored concoction and a wonderful almost-summer treat. So long lawnmower ales, hello Wisconsin Belgian Red.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

cracked this open with mom for mothers day.

pours a rich red with a one finger head that has a hint of red. head falls quickly but is revived with a few quick swirls of my glass. some splotchy lacing but nothing that clings for to long.

smell is probably my favorite part of this beer. sweet but not overbearing wisps of cherries pretty much fly out of the glass. malts present but the star of the show is the cherry.

taste is sweet. smooth. obvious notes of cherry ride the senses throughout the sip. tastes very good. my mother would like to make shandies with this. sounds like it would work well.

mouth is medium with a hefty amount of carbonation. this is a great ride.

overall this is probably one of the better fruit beers i have had the joy of drinking. very nice.

4.38/5  rDev 0%

Bottle into champagne flute. Big thanks to STLWill for the chance to try this fantastic treat. Thanks, Will!

Pours red, a bit of brown comes through, lightly hazy, with a fizzy off-white head.

Nose starts and ends with gorgeous cherries, sweet and absolutely fresh. Like you squeezed the juice from a bushel of fresh black cherries - perfect balance of sweet and tart, no trace of artificial flavor at all.

Taste is exactly the same. Fantastic, vibrant cherry, perfectly balanced between sweet and tart. Acidity perfectly balances the flavor.

Mouthfeel is light, very crisply carbonated, a bit sticky. Beautiful.

This gets a bit much towards the end. The flavor is fine, but man you start to really feel the sugar. This and the Raspberry Tart are so close when it comes to preference it's almost ridiculous; the Tart may have a slight edge in taste, but not much. Both fantastic beers.

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: Bright, cloudy red with a hint of apricot mixed in, capped by a beige-pink layer of thick foam. Leaves some fairly heavy lace sheeting on the glass.

Aroma: Fresh, tart cherry pie aroma with a hint of apple.

Texture: Mouth-filling, creamy texture with moderately full body.

Flavor: Cherries, baby - tart, fresh cherries with a pie-like character and a hint of fresh apple cider. Real, all-natural fruit flavours. Ultra-refreshing. Hint of a drying, oaky note in the finish.

Overall Impression: Cherries! Dessert in a glass.

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

a: This was a slightly murky, apple cider brown with some cherry highlights. It poured with a smallish fizzy head that quickly faded.

s: A combination of sweet, sugary, candy cherries and tart cherries.

t: All cherry here as well. There is some sugary sweetness here, but overall the tartness prevails. Still, I wish this had been a bit more tart.

m: Thick and chewy with gently fizzy carbonation.

d: Thanks to imperialking for this one. Very good, but I prefer the Raspberry Tart.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a fairly clear reddish brown that's appears to be carbonated like a cola. A small white head clings to the side of the glass. Smells of world class cherries a not much else. First sip is tart full of cherries with a tad of oak and vanilla note present but lacking in malt. Very lightly carbonated. Super sweet - closer to wine than beer.

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Cracked this open for dessert on Easter Sunday...

Cloudy ruby color with a small head that lingers for a long time. Smell is dominated by tart and sweet cherries, with a little bit of malt in the background. Taste: cherries, delicious cherries. The perfect balance of tart, sour, and sweet. Whatever beer flavor is in here is very subtle; think of Wisconsin Belgian Red as more of a fruit wine than a lambic. So while the beer-lover in me might wonder what the hype is about, my tastebuds will not deny how fantastically delicious this is. High sugar content makes for a slightly syrupy mouthfeel, though high carbonation keeps it from being unpleasant. Sweetness limits drinkability, but yummy cherry flavors beckon me for another glass.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

drank on 4.11.09 with the wifey while hanging out at my neighbor's house. mega thanks to the kindness and generosity of natasharai for sending this to me (and my wife).

I am a big fan of fruit beers, lambics etc. so I was pumped to have the opportunity to try this one. It pours a beautiful reddish copper color - a very inviting look to this beer. It produced a tantilizing off white reddish head. The head didn't stick around very long and also produced little to no lacing - but otherwise, it was a great looking beer. The smell was absolutely what you would expect it to be - cherry. A great cherry smell without being over the top. if i sniffed hard enough, I can get a super subtle malt smell in the background. it has a crisp and sparkling smell to it.

the taste is simply wonderful. it is crisp and delicious. As you would expect from the smell, the cherry aroma translates through in the taste as well. It is a very bing cherry taste (not sure what kind of cherries they use). The cherry taste goes away pretty quick leaving a small amount of sour 'pucker' in your mouth but not in a bad way. Mouthfeel is light on the body but a good amount of sparkly carbonation, as you drink more of it - the sour left behind is a tad much (but not enough to make me not like drinking this baby).

what a great brew! and my non-beer drinking wife thoroughly enjoyed it as well (in addition to my wine drinking only neighbors).

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks again to LJArsenal, my Wisconsin pipeline, for this trade. I have to say that I wasn't expecting great things from a fruit beer, but god damn this is hitting the spot right now.

A - Bottle is sealed with red wax. Pours a deep red and brown with a beautiful 1/2 inch pinkish off-white head. Lacing goes all around the glass.

S - Lambic sourness with cherries prevalent in the background.

T - Syrupy cough medicine from childhood. Cherry and malt with other dark ripe fruit.

M - Thick and syrupy, mild carbonation tingle at the end. Coats the tongue similar to tannic wines.

D - A beer I'd want to drink around Christmas instead of those shitty macro Christmas beers.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Poured this from the 750 ml bottle into a New Glarus Brewing flute. Although only a small volume was poured into the glass there was a nice off white head that faded to a lace within a couple of minutes. The body is clear, rich, and red.

S - Cherries hit your nose right off the bat. The smell is enough alone to get your mouth watering.

T - Lots of carbonation in this one along with the obvious cherries and other sweet notes. Outstanding balance.

M - The cherries hit your mouth first with a nice medium body transition to a carbonated but smooth finish.

D - This is a very enjoyable beer for special occasions or holidays and one that can be used to supplement or replace wine. The cost alone makes it a beer I couldn't have frequently, but when the moment is right I certainly wouldn't pass it up. I could put a bottle of this down rather easily.

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Presentation: 750ml green bottle, capped and waxed, with a nice old-school label

Appearance: Beautiful light garnet beer; there is extremely fine Champagne-like carbonation, and a thin white ring of a head

Smell: Tart, and extremely natural cherries and cherry pie notes; this is highly aromatic

Taste: Cherry. Pie. In a glass. It's all here; tart cherries, sweet filling, buttery crust, etc.

Mouthfeel: Light/medium bodied and tart

Drinkability: Scary high

Conclusion: Perfect. Dessert. Beer.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

A big thanks to Scoobydank for this one!

L: Pours a cherry red color from the bottle with a tall and thick white with pink tint colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet malts and sweet cherries.
T: Big cherry flavor that isn't artificial tasting, it tastes like sweet cherries on top of a nice malt base.
M: Very smooth, refreshing, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable beer, I wish this was available in CT all the time. Really not what I expected and I was blown away.

3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

Not really a fan of fruit beer or cherries but this one still tasted good to me, so if you are a fan of either you will probably be in love with this beer. The only knock I have on it is the drinkability because, like I said, I haven't gotten into the style yet.

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

One pound of cherries per bottle? I'm there!

Poured from wax sealed bottle into New Belgium goblet. Pours a clear medium ruby red with about 1/2" foamy pinkish head that settles to a bubble film with some sticky lacing. Aroma is very strong sugary sweet but very tart cherries. Cherry is the only thing I can smell in this beer, but that's ok because I love cherries. The aroma literally makes my mouth water. Taste is intensely rich, sweet and tart cherries. I love it. It's like liquid cherry pie. Medium bodied, high carbonation, feels a little sticky sweet. The sweetness limits the drinkablility just a tad, it's a little cloying, but this beer is so delicious, I can't put the glass down. Couldn't drink this beer very often, but it makes a great treat once and a while.

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

A= pours a thick dark red color very dark red with a tiny pinkish head rising from it and no lacing. Pretty much what I expected.
S= Cherries all around. Somehow it also keeps the beer character to it as well though. Pretty good odor from it.
T= Cherry Pie!!! Wow tastes just like cherry pie so much that I'm actually starting to believe I can taste the crust in it. Toward the end there is a very very slight Belgian beer character which is prolly why I think I can taste crust.
M= Great carbonation and Sweet medium body
D= Amazing. I would expect nothing less. This beer actually tastes like cherry pie and is a delicious dessert beer. Great brew.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to a good friend in Wisconsin for shipping me some of this! I have the Raspberry Tart up next.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter style glass.

A: Beer pours an absolutely gorgeous red color that is clear, effervescent, but has little to no head or lacing.

S: Smells like cherries and nothing else. Reminds me of a cherry pie from the smell, slightly tart and slightly sweet.

T: I can't imagine a fruit beer tasting any better than this. It's straight cherry pie filling that is refreshing and so good. Goes down really easy, but I like to sip it because the tartness coats my mouth with each sip and I want more.

M: A little undercarbonated maybe, but aside from that I have no complaints. This one is great.

D: I don't think I could drink more than 2 8oz glasses of this due to its tartness, but man does it taste good.

This may be the best fruit beer on the planet. I know I haven't had a better one yet, but it is very delicious and ANYONE beer drinker or not should seek this one out if they get a chance. This could convert some non-beer drinkers to start.

3.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Have had this a couple of times out of the bottle and finally thought I would get around to reviewing. Pours a very bright, deep red. Smell is of cherries, cherries and more cherries. The taste is of a wonderful, fresh cherry. It has some tartness, the sweetness is a little overpowering. However, it is abundantly clear that this is not an artificial cherry flavoring but the real deal.

If I would have one compliant about this beer, is that it is too sweet to drink more than a glass of. I tried to sit down and drink a bottle by myself and couldn't finish it. Plan to drink this with friends (especially non-beer lovers, who may be converted with this sweet nectar).

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

It poured a hazy red. It had a slightly pink one finger head. No carbonation activity could be seen.

It smelled like a delicious like malt and cherries.

It had a perfect balance of cherry punch, malt texture and mild oak flavor. It had a wonderful medium body that went down easy and finished with a nice fruit tart.

This is an amazingly drinkable beer. I have had it more times than I can count. Every time that I have this beer I am amazed by how good it is.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company