2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

Ratings: 2063

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,063 | Reviews: 887 | Show All Ratings:
VoodooBrew

South Carolina

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Reddish-brown in color. I take a whiff.... WOW... cherry! Smells like delicious, fresh-baked cherry pie, big time! Oh, and the flavor? Stunningly delicious-- tastes like the most wonderful homemade cherry pie filling with the slightest hint of spice. Can cherry beer (or any fruit beer for that matter) possibly taste any better than this?? Oh I surely would bet not! This beer is so smooth and lusciously drinkable... simply remarkable.

03-21-2006 02:57:49 | More by VoodooBrew
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.85/5  rDev +11%

Cheers to Sprinkle for this awesome brew. Pours a murky brown shade of red, with nice lacing. Smells of sweet and slightly tart cherries. Cranberries too, though I know they were not an ingredient in the beer.

Initial the taste is sweet cherry, this soon gives way to sour cherry, delicious, and more complex than I can adequately describe. Malt is there, but completely blends in with the cherries. Mouthfeel is smooth and lively, the bubbles are tiny. I believe this qualifies as a session beer under BA guidelines, if only I had another one or ten or so, I'd drink them all now.

03-20-2006 08:35:49 | More by Sephiroth
jj21

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle
Pours like Champagne into flute. Murky red liquid topped by a quickly disappearing thick rose head. No lacing. Cherry aroma (duh) not too overpowering. Glad to see this. So often the aroma in fruit beers is too much. Taste was fruity with yeasty finish. Moves between sweet and sour while on the tongue. Cherry Pie in a bottle.

03-16-2006 20:30:28 | More by jj21
mynie

Indiana

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%

Kool-aid red. Nice to look at, great for a cherry beer. White head with light champagne fizz.

Smells like Wild Cherry. Not wild cherries, as in, cherries found in nature. I mean Wild Cherry as in a Wyler's fruit drink or a Jolly Rancher. This is such a cherry-ish cherry that it seems almost synthetic. Actually, it smells most like the cherry Icees. These smells are all wonderful, and while they're not beery, they're just too good for me to give the scent anything less than a 5.

Tastes nearly as sweet as it smells. More like a natural cherry taste upfront. Like cherry cider--you can taste the peels. Moves in to a lambic-y yeast and ends on a mix of dry malt and slightly sour cherries. Very tasty.

A grand and glorious fruit beer.

03-14-2006 03:23:53 | More by mynie
Crosling

Colorado

2.1/5  rDev -51.9%

Notes cannot describe my complete disgust with this beer. I’ve tasted it several times and I am still flabbergasted that people actualy enjoy it. I can't stand the sweetness and I don’t want to taste pie crust in a fruit beer. I do love the raspberry tart though, but that is very balanced and succulent.

03-13-2006 23:29:19 | More by Crosling
bennetj17

Arizona

4.33/5  rDev -0.9%

Color is a very unique reddish-orange. It's cloudy making it look like a slightly watered down tomato juice. No head, carbonation looks subtle. The nose is amazingly sweet. It doesn't even smell like beer, just fresh, ripe cherries, or cherry pie. I can stick my nose in the snifter and breathe in all day.

The taste is sweet and cider-like at first, then becoming more sour as a tart cherry flavor lingers. Alcohol is low, but there is definitely a strong acidity that you can feel as this beer makes its way to the stomach. I have to note that the taste improves nicely over time, it softens up and becomes sweeter. The mouthfeel is light, with tiny carbonation.

I wasn't sure about the drinkablility at first, but nearing the end of the glass I was surely ready for another. Excellent...

03-03-2006 18:12:24 | More by bennetj17
Jredner

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Ohh my god that is the best smell in the world. Rich ripe, sweet cherries and cherry puree. It smells like the filling of an expensively made cherry pastry. It’s just fantastic smelling that’s all that can be said. Faded pink/light red in color with a thin white film of a head. Jeez this brewery makes increndible fruit beers. Fore is full of cherry, spritzy carbonation, mild acidic citric notes toward the finish. The middle has ever so slightly sour notes, some nuttiness and a smooth icing laden fried, flaky sweet dough flavor that carries into the finish. This really is a liquid Cherry Fritter and it is utterly amazing. This is the kind of beer that gets you excited all over again about what beer is and can be.

02-25-2006 21:25:59 | More by Jredner
mjohn27603

4.83/5  rDev +10.5%

Eagerly anticipated. Pours rust in color with little head. A thin ring of carbonated foam remains after a few minutes. Aroma is of cherry juice and dark red cherries. Sweetness and a slight sour aroma. First sip reveals a slightly acidic and not as sweet as I anticipated. Not as tart as a kriek. Cherry flavor remains on tongue for half a minute after sipping. Not thick and syrupy, light on the tongue. Easily drinkable. Thanks to shippos for trade. This was worth getting.

02-25-2006 04:49:22 | More by mjohn27603
nortmand

4.78/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours hazy rusty red with an inch of white foam.

Sweet cherry pie in the nose. Acidic plum and apple notes.

Starts with a thick, sweet cherry. Perfectly balanced tart end. Leaves a delicious sweet cherry aftertaste.

Incredibly full wheat body. Almost chewy. Very refreshing, I could literally drink quarts of this.

02-11-2006 00:23:59 | More by nortmand
DarkerTheBetter

4.85/5  rDev +11%

This beer poured a dark glowing red with a few light purple highlights. It was very clear with little bubbles clinging to the inside of my glass. The head was thin, off white and pink that left a thin and delicate lace. Smells initially of sweet cherry pie filling that, for an instant, is rather disappointing. Fortunately, the smell is then backed up with a musky sourness that adds a terrific amount of life and wholesomeness. Along with this fantastic cherry, there seems to be a musky lambic-like yeast. Tastes of powerfully tangy wild cherries. This is not just cherry sweetness, but the flavor clearly reflects actual cherry skin! This, combined with (what I’m guessing to be ) the musky wild yeast creates a smooth and tangy cherry experience that is absolutely amazing. This is quite an accomplishment for the people at New Glarus. (thank you!) The mouth feel had a light soft body with a medium tingly carbonation that’s a wonderful compliment to the tangy aspects of the flavor. I think that the mouth feel plays a crucial role in the delivery of the flavor, earning a high rating form me.

Delicious! Absolutely delicious! This is so easy to drink and just dripping with quality and care. There’s a quality here that makes me wish there was a NA version of this available to have with breakfast every morning. I think I’ll never be able to tolerate fake cherry flavors ever again. This is hands down a fantastic beer! The only shortcoming on its drinkability is the sweetness. It’s necessary for the flavor, but I wouldn’t want to split more than one bottle at any one sitting.

01-29-2006 16:24:53 | More by DarkerTheBetter
badbeer

Iowa

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured a red-brown color with white head that had little lacing. Smell is of tart cherries. Taste is full of cherries, very tart, as it warms it even started to taste like a cherry cobbler with a bit of yeasty breadlike flavors coming through. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a medium carbonation. Beer was quite drinkable, and I can't wait to have more.

Edited from: 4.5, 4, 5, 4, 4

01-23-2006 00:16:27 | More by badbeer
SkeeterHawk

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is my official 200th review, so I thought I would pull something special out of the cellar. I have been looking forward to this one, so what better time?

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish brown color what had about a half inch head of off-white bubbles at first pour. The head didn't stick around all that long to end up a small layer on top of the beer. There is some light lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: Rich and tart cherry aroma's dominate the profile as the beer is really cold. As it warms a bit, there is a bready yeast aroma coming out.

Taste: The flavor is very cherry pie like. In fact you can even pick out some bready flavors that taste like the crust. Amazing! There is also an underlying earthy malt (I guess) that is a subtle, but notable, part of the flavor. The finish is a bit syrupy and sweet. As the beer warms a bit, the flavor is moving a bit more toward the tart side...which is nice.

Opinion: Even though the fruit beers aren't my favorite, this beer goes down really smooth. It is a bit on the sweet side for my taste, but I prefer the fruit Lambics...especially Cantillon. I have had this bottle for about a year now, so I thought that the sourness would increase with age. I am pretty satisfied that isn't the case, so I will have to try a fresher example next time.

01-12-2006 00:06:24 | More by SkeeterHawk
Golden2wenty1

4.83/5  rDev +10.5%

750ml capped and waxed green bottle received as a Christmas gift along with some other pricey beers from my Parents.

Pours a murky brownish-red, completely opaque and delicious looking. As soon as the wax is cut and the bottle opened, the room is filled with luscious cherry. A closer whiff and I'm blown away by the intensity of fresh fruit - cranberry, some apple, but obviously cherry takes center stage. The flavor somehow eclipses the nose in sheer gravity. Fresh, mouth-puckering cherry and cranberry puree with some subtle hints of vanilla and oak. Mouthfeel is rich and velvety. Indulgent. Lightly carbonated. Reminded me of a fresh Door County cherry cider with a tart alcoholic bite. The sour and sweetness of the fruit balance each other nicely and make for an easy-drinking desert beer that I could see myself downing a couple bottles of in the course of an evening. It was hard to share it with my lovely girlfriend, but it's the Holiday Season. A truly magnificent fruit beer from New Glarus, how lucky to have them in my backyard.

12-30-2005 01:46:21 | More by Golden2wenty1
ClearDog

4.38/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance -- Poured from bottle into Duvel tulip glass. Very thick, dark, reddish-pink in color; very reminiscent of grapefruit juice. Thin head that disappeared quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell -- Sweet fruit: apples, pears, cherries. It really reminds me of how a nice holiday fruit punch smells. Perhaps some spices as well. Very interesting.

Taste -- Tart cherries. Very pleasant and very fruity. This one in no way tastes artificial. This is the real deal. Quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel -- Thicker feel. Pretty clean overall. The carbonation reminds me of champagne.

Drinkability -- Outstanding drinkability. This is a really impressive beer. It's so different than what I'd expect in a beer. Very good find. This would taste fantastic outside on a crisp autumn day. I plan on seeking this one out again.

12-29-2005 03:45:40 | More by ClearDog
ggaughan

4.5/5  rDev +3%

I was lucky enough to get a bottle of this and a bottle of the Raspberry Tart from a relative living near Wisconsin. This is the 3rd Christmas in a row I have received some of this and could not be happier. Shared this bottle with the family on Christmas day and it was a big hit.

The Belgian Red pours a very nice bright red color with a nice pink head that disapated rather quickly. The fresh cherry smell is evident once you pour. There is some nice champagne bubbling and noise going on which I like. The smell in the Belgian Red appears to be more natural than some of the more popular lambics that are out there. I really enjoy this one.

What a nice tart cherry taste with this. I could not get enough of this taste and the aftertaste that lingers in the mouth. The best part of this particular experience was giving 3 or 4 relatives the chance of trying this beer that they had never had before but now love. Too bad we are too far from Wisconsin to get this often. Thank god I have about 5 bottles of this and the Raspberry cellared away.

12-27-2005 04:31:36 | More by ggaughan
Boto

Connecticut

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

750ml bottle. I really liked this beer, from the red wax on the op to the very last drop. This one pours a definite reddish color. There was some haziness to the beer. It pours with a big head that drops to nothing almost immediately. There was some champagne-like fizzy carbonation that continued throughout. The nose is somewhat like a cherry pie, just not as sweet. It was sweet, sour and tart all at the same time. The taste was really nice. Cherries were the main component. They were somewhat tart, with some sweetness at the same time. Something of a medium malt body hiding back there. Very nice!

12-22-2005 18:57:02 | More by Boto
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

4.13/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: A warm, sumptuous burgundy-fuschia rouge. No head to speak of, but what an interesting color.

Smell: Tart, crisp, and irresistably appetizing, but rather one-dimensional. I smell cherries and that's about it.

Taste: When my brother first told me about this beer, he said it tastes just like cherry pie, and man, he wasn't kidding. Sweet, tart, very natural-tasting cherries, a touch of cinnamon spice, and some doughy notes, most likely from the wheat and roasted malts. Such a festive ale! I don't usually like sweet beers, but this is just plain delicious. Not artificial or syrupy in the least. Finish is clean and sour.

Mouthfeel: Sparkly and light, matches the tartness perfectly.

Drinkability: Since it is so sweet, I don't think I could handle more than a few glasses of this... but what a pleasure to savor slowly after dinner. I will definitely buy more when I return to Wisconsin for the holidays.

12-13-2005 10:55:23 | More by soulgrowl
slyke

4.72/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I came across a couple of bottles of this on a Sunday trip into the land of modernity [Wisconsin (at least in relation to alcohol sales)]. My brother had tried it a while back and liked it so I decided to give it a try.

Last night a friend who is a fan of the New Glarus Spotted Cow came over to break into a bottle since it was new to both of us.

Wow!

Appearance was outstanding - a deep opaque red with a nice little head of white.

Smell was heavily laden with cherries, but natural sweetness, not syrupy sweetness.

The taste was outstanding - I think it lived up to it's bill of a "perfect marriage of wine and beer." It was a very cherry taste - almost like a cherry juice.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, not too thin, not too thick.

Drinkability was great - we intended to share a bottle, then move on to something else, but finished both of the bottles I had and could have emptied another if It had been there.

12-10-2005 00:53:23 | More by slyke
granger10

2.73/5  rDev -37.5%

This beer poured a dark dirty cherry color. It doesn't look exactly like a fruit beer but not really a normal beer either. Fizzy white head, medium in size, not really too much lacing. Aroma is exactly like cherry fruit gushers. I mean it's identical. I can't really get past it, I like it but in my beer? Taste once again has that cherry fruit gusher quality to it. Cherries aren't as tart as I expected. They're more sweet and almost taste fake. Body is somewhat thick and has a nice fizzyness to it. The first glass of this bottle was good but the second glass was tougher. Started to get cloying and too much cherry. Reminiscent of cherry juice. Sorry, I didn't care for this one.

11-04-2005 14:13:57 | More by granger10
battlekow

4.4/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Landmark 1850.

Belgian Red pours a dark, thick reddish color, as befits a cherry beer, with almost no head and no lacing. If only it had a nice, fluffy, pink head, this would be a beautiful beer.

It smells and tastes distinctly of...cherry! Not sickeningly sweet cherry syrup like in a kiddie cocktail, but like real cherries, still sweet, but also tart. As a result, the mouthfeel has a cool puckering effect to it. This beer isn't very "beery," but tastes extremely good--if you like cherries, of course.

10-05-2005 00:21:32 | More by battlekow
DaPeculierDane

4.78/5  rDev +9.4%

Just a wonderful fruit beer. Thick and luscious like a true apple cider only pink. Loads of tart cherries and hints of spices. Smells great, tastes great. Feels like velvet on your tongue. Not overly sweet at all and therefore very drinkable.

Over the weekend I sat out on a lake in Northern Wisconsin and consumed a bottle that I had kept in a cupboard for at least three years. I was a bit nervous that the beer would have spoiled but it hadn’t. It tasted exactly as I remembered it tasting fresh from the brewery.

Moreover, the beer was a perfect pick for the colorful fall day. It feels very much like a homemade cider and this makes it fit naturally with changing leaves and fire pit conversation.

10-03-2005 21:48:01 | More by DaPeculierDane
petercmartin1

4.43/5  rDev +1.4%

Another homerun for the New Glarus brewery in Wisconsin. This is one of two fruit beers that these guys do and they are both great. I've been drinking this one for quite a while now, and I really, really like it. I do prefer their Raspberry, but that is just a preference of raspberries over cherries. It has nothing to do with the quality of the beer.
These guys really get it right with their fruit beers. They seem to find a perfect balance where so many other breweries fall short. This beer is no exception. It pours a beautiful redish brown, cloudy, but in a way that enhances it, not detracts from it. The aroma is all about sour cherries. The flavor follows through with the cherry theme, with just a hint of yeast and underlying grain to remind you that you are drinking a beer. Like the Raspberry this one tastes like real fruit, not syrup or artifical flavoring. These guys take their fruit beers seriously and it shows. These beers rank up there with some of the best beers in the world, IMHO.

10-03-2005 20:02:58 | More by petercmartin1
mattcrill

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to cmaruschak for the chance to sample this rare one.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy brownish red with a thin sudsy white cap.

Smell: Pure cherry juice. Overpowering combination of sweetness, sourness, and tart cheeries. Very interesting and very different but it's all about the cherries, man.

Taste: Follows smell exactly. Pure cherry juice. A little yeastiness but it tastes like sour mashed cherry pie. The sour cherries make my jaw feel like it's going to collapse...but in a good way of course.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and carbonated. A slightly astringent feel on the back of the palate.

Drinkability: With the low ABV and the fruit taste, this one goes down easy. I can't say that I would make this a regular occurence. It really doesn't scratch the beer itch for me at all. But for what it is, it's very well done. Recommended.

09-25-2005 14:54:28 | More by mattcrill
Sixpoint

3.83/5  rDev -12.4%

Great beer from the first craft brewery I had an allegiance to growing up. This brewery was only about 30-40 miles from where I grew up in Wisconsin.

Exceptional brilliant red hue eminating from my goblet. Sort of a deep amber and brown, the red shines through like garnet.

An aroma of deep caramel and cherries. You might as well have your nose stuck inside a cherry pie. This is ridiculous.

The taste is SWEET! A bit of sourness in the finish, and even a hint of oak. However, the taste is definitely dominated by SUGAR SUGAR!

Very complex and amazing beer. Not too drinkable for me, as I like the drier and funkier fruit beers. Nevertheless, an American Classic. Bravo.

09-16-2005 14:00:17 | More by Sixpoint
bashiba

Iowa

2.93/5  rDev -33%

Poured into my goblet a very cloudy reddish/brown with just a thin little lace of head around the rim.

Smell was completely and totally cherries, fresh cherries too, not some fake sweet cherry smell.

Flavor is completely and totally dominated by cherries, slightly sweet and slightly tart at the same time. A think its a little overpowering for my taste and really barely has any beer likeness at all.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied, but with a touch of slickness to it.

Drinkability is low, I don't think I could drink to much of this one, In fact finishing off the 750 I opened was starting to be a struggle.

08-24-2005 23:13:37 | More by bashiba