Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,040 | Reviews: 945
3.03/5  rDev -30.8%

The bottle looks great with its red wax seal over the cap. The beer pours nice with a decent head. The color is a burnt orange red. I would opt to drink this over many desert wines. It is not the type of beer that I would want to drink in larger quantities. I was surprised how strong the cherry flavor was until I read they put a pound of cherries in every bottle. Honestly I would have liked it better if it tasted more like beer.

3.04/5  rDev -30.6%

Split a bomber 3 ways; from notes.

Pours deep red, head has a slight pink hue. A very strange yet enticing look that really begs you to find out more.Smells like cherry syrup, kind of a "cherry burnetts (vodka) smell" as someone else around the table said. Unfortunately the cherries in the nose are a little bit too candy-like to smell fresh. Tastes like black cherry soda pop, fresh cherries, citrus rind, and bubble gum. Honestly it tastes closer to cherry soda then it does beer. Lively carbonation, medium bodied but a touch syrupy. Drinkability suffered for me, it was just too sweet and too cherry-y. A few people at the table were getting frustrated because they wanted to move to the next beer in our tasting and I was taking too long to finish my pour. I think that says something about its drinkability.

I fear this one doesn't live up to the hype for me. I was especially let down because I had just had New Glarus's Unplugged Cranbic the night before which really impressed me so I had especially high expectations.

3.06/5  rDev -30.1%

A - a dull red with a white head.

S - a ton of cherries. Also a bit of cinnamon

T - a ton of cherries, a bit of cinnamon. Slight tart/ sour.

M - thin side of medium.

O - yep it's a fruit beer. I'm glad I tried it? I will not be seeking this out again. Could not drink more than 1/2 a glass, just too much.

3.07/5  rDev -29.9%

I was quite surprised at this beer, surprised and disappointed. Normally I am a fan of all things new glarus but this beer was just too damn fruity. It smells like cherries, it tastes like cherries, it's cherry red. I mean, I like cherries and all but this stuff is like cough syrup. I wanted some beer with my fruit salad. One glass was enough, one bottle was far too much. For a brewery that ordinarily makes such well-balanced beers, this cherry thing has gotten a little out of hand. If I wanted juice, I wouldn't be drinking beer.

3.07/5  rDev -29.9%

A ~2-year old WBR

Not an overly impressive offwhite foam head... No lacing either. Brew is hazy beet red.

Phew! Tons of syrup-y, sugary, cherry... A bit over whelming. Slight horse blanket funk too, is this normal?

Very dry, not as I expected. Slight off cherry flavor, very sweet, almost too much so. Perfect carbonation. Near offensive, pungent, cherry flavor.

A bit all over the place and a bit over done... This brew is a bit over rated, IMO. I wont seek it again, it would also be hard for me to recommend. I much prefer Raspberry Tart. Thanks Nick for sharing!

3.08/5  rDev -29.7%

I had this beer to celebrate my brother moving into his new house and I was anticipating this to be the greatest beer ever. When i saw the beer It wasnt the most impressive beer i have ever seen, but i felt that when you make a cherry beer it would look like this, in that aspect the brewer had gotten exactley what they wanted. The smell was wonderful. When you are making a cherry beer you should smell Cherrys and nothing but. That is exactly what i smelled. The taste hit me as medicinal. I dont like to ever speak bad of beers but i could not shake the fact that it tasted like cough medicine. The mouthfeel was an exception to the taste. The beer seemed to be perfectly carbonated and didnt give me any reason to review it as bad. The drinkability of this beer was not good FOR ME. I emphasize for me because I know that there are people that could drink this like crazy but i am more of a beer guy and never drink wine. I feel bad to ever give out a bad review but to me this beer was like a fine painting that would never look good in my house but I can thoroughly appreciate the effort and time put into it.

3.1/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Attractive bottle with wax melted over the cap. No dates of any kind. I sort of wonder if I got an older bottle. Read on... Pours clear cherry red with thin head that almost immediately dissipated to a thin film. Obvious sweet cherry aroma with a little sour yeast. Taste follows smell - almost like an alcoholic cherry soda but with a somewhat pleasant lingering aftertaste of candied cherries. Not at all complex. I feel like this beer could use a little more balance, maybe a little more in the hops department. I couldn't taste any as it is. Medium bodied, light carbonation, sticky syrup. Overall, this is interesting and worth a try, but I would recommend splitting the bottle between four people. Try it with something of considerable contrast like salty rye or pumpernickel crackers and mild cheese like gouda.

3.11/5  rDev -29%

Pours tomato red with a hairs length of foam on top which never leaves. Decent lacing, with tons of minuscule bubbles that play around the top when swirled.

Smells of fruit punch, cherries, cherries and more cherries.

This is an interesting beer. It is very hard to describe, there are of course the sweet cherries, acidic carbonation. Then there is this earthy quality, herbs, floral bits, perhaps vegetables come through along with a touch of sour. I suppose this just isn't my type of beer but it tastes too sweet and off-balance to me, like a cherry flavored soda or exotic mixed drink - which taste fine but aren't particularly appealing to me in a beer. Not gonna lie - reminds me of a higher quality, more subtle Mike's hard lemonade.

No alcohol detected. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, with a touch of syrupy sweetness.

Drinkability is no good on this one, maybe if I was a child drooling for candy, but after a while this makes one sick. I'll revisit this again sometime but it's not too appealing to me as of now.

3.17/5  rDev -27.6%

Thanks to oakbluff for this one.

Poured from a 1 pint 9 fl. oz. bottle into 2 champagne flutes (me & my wife)

Appearance: Pours a dark, crimson red with 1 finger head & lots of carbonation. Not bad.

Smell: Sour cherry notes with slight sweetness. Nice smelling aroma.

Taste: Sourness hits me straight on. Sour cherry with a dry, wood-like quality.

Mouthfeel: Heavily carbonated but sourness unrelenting. I would have liked some more sweetness to balance it out. I have trouble distinguishing some of the nuances & am feeling the taste getting to me which brings us to:

Drinkability: I had trouble finishing this one, even while drinking it with my wife. A 12oz. bottle for 2 would be enough until then, i don't think i would try it again.

Overall: As with the Raspberry Tart, i must admit to being overwhelmed by these brews. They are high-quality for sure as the taste is clearly natural & not artificial but not for me which is strange because i actually like many fruit beers but i guess these particular ones aren't for me. I am grateful for being able to try them though.

3.18/5  rDev -27.4%

I am the one who usually likes the unusual fruit beer.Not this time. This is way too tart and way too cherry.

I dragged this back from Wisconsin last week. It seemed like a great value, but now I'm not looking forward to finishing it. Throwing it out would be alcohol abuse.

3.18/5  rDev -27.4%

I suppose fruit beers and lambics just aren't my thing, but I could not help but try this belgian red at the New Glarus Brewery.

Appearance: About as close to red as beer can get, you can see the carbonation bubbles flying towards the top

Smell: Cherries, a whole pound of cherries! You can smell it from a mile away

Taste: Incredibly sour, obviously I know this is a matter of palate, but I just could not handle it.

Mouthfeel: Champagne dry, almost needed a glass of water afterward.

Drinkability: You're not exactly going to drink this down fast, to be served in small doses. Definetely a beer for non-beer people, and the big fruit beer fan's holy grail, just not for me

3.21/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured at a recent BA tasting event. Someone said that these NG beers are what you give to people who say they don't like beer as a way to convert them and I can easily see that. This pours a hazy auburn and smells overwhelmingly like maraschino cherries. The taste is like drinking a cherry dum-dum pop. Very sweet. Light on the tongue but the sweetness for me was overwhelming and I didn't want any more than about 2oz of it. Warrant would love this beer.

3.22/5  rDev -26.5%

Warm red color, poured in a pilsner glass.
I had this beer before and loved every minute of it Head poured thick, but soon disappeared to a
fine white lacing. Fragrance comes across very sweet, almost syrupy
Wonderful fragrance of sweet cherries.
Other reviews I read thought that this was a very sweet beer. I did not find this so.
Very tart cherry flavor permeated the brew. Previous versions that I remember having did not seem as strong cherry flavor. This tart taste may take a while to get used to. Maybe, I should have aged it longer.
The finish is a very spicy with a dry/bitter bite.

3.25/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle I picked up at Woodman's in south-west Wisconsin.

Appearance is ruby-red. Red red red. So much so that it makes me slightly nervous. Hard pour gives a couple fingers of pink head which dissipates very quickly - snap crackle pop.

Not much to the nose - slight cherry scent. Smells vapid cold and cherry.

First sip is a blast of cherry sweetness. Whoa. Some tart too which makes it less of a cherry popsicle. If you look for it you'll find a slight, but interesting, roasted malt flavor in back.

The mouthfeel starts syrupy then quickly gets crisp and thin.

I bought two bottles, will let the other age a bit and hopefully the sweetness will relax a bit. Glad I had the young one, but won't likely have another till the second bottle ages 6 months or so.

3.27/5  rDev -25.3%

750ml into a tulip, shared by Agold at last night's tasting.

A: Ruby with a small off-white head.

S: Syrupy. Cherry cough syrup. Hrm...

T: Better than the aroma. Cherry pie - candied cherry flesh, sugary pastry dough, heavy spice like nutmeg and cinnamon.

M: Slight carbonation, medium-bodied.

O: Pretty interesting - tastes just like cherry pie - but I could barely kill my 8oz pour, let alone a whole bottle. Good for a one-time experience.

3.34/5  rDev -23.7%

I don't think I got a bad bottle, the the beer store had this one in the fridge, I just think I'm not a fan. It did look gorgeous, I've never seen a pink cascading head before. The aroma, however, just reminded me of Juicy Juice, not a fine beer. The taste was a little more complex with a mild tartness and sweet cherry flavor. I really couldn't find much depth here. I'd go back to the Raspberry Tart before this one.

3.38/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours an almost clear brown with red hues. Very thin tan head that doesn't stick around. Nose is cherry juice. Flavor is much of the same. Tastes like cherry cough syrup almost. Almost seems like a touch of apple cider on the back there as well. Eck. Feel is much like the flavor. Syrupy. Carbonation is a bit lower I guess. Good lord. What a disappointment. I think this is going to be a bit of a challenge to drink. I put this on the level of all those overly sugared fruit beers from Belgium. This just makes me miss Liefmans Kriek even more.

3.4/5  rDev -22.4%

This beer offers lots of big cherry flavor, replete with a puckering mouthfeel of cherry sourness. It is good, but doesn’t really rank among my most enjoyable beer experiences. It offers a cherry tartness so rich, I feel like Pac-Man (level one) when drinking it. I would almost prefer something a bit more understated and nuanced, like the Lindemans kriek. Still, I love sour, so it is difficult for me to badmouth this beer.

Its color was not as pleasant as I expected (more of a red brown than a brilliant ripe-fruit red), and aroma was just so-so, but that flavor was a big punch of flavor that I really enjoyed.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: a deep brownish garnet color. bright red garnet colors when held to the light. not quite opaque. a finger of a reddish tan head that leaves a strong lacing on the sides.

Smell: sweet cherry juice, some wheatiness. some caramel malts. very sweet and not overly complex

Taste: opens up with cherries. comes off as sweetened cherry juice. wheat and caramel malts.

Mouthfeel: fairly light and sweet. fairly sticky too

Overall: very sweet. too much so. taste a bit too much like a kids cherry juice. not as impressive as raspberry tart.

3.43/5  rDev -21.7%

Split this one with the wife after dinner. Poured mine into my duvel tulip and my wife used a lindemanns flute.

This thing is bright and clear. Pinkish red with a pink tint to the head. Nice vertical chunks of lace hang on the curves of my glass.

This beer smells like ludens cherry cough drops- you remember the ones that were more like candy than medicine. Cherry is all I really smell or taste... With exception of a slight sourness that hopefully intensifies with age. I'll be saving a bottle for a while and re-review this at that point. I'm hoping the cherry mellows out and other flavors make an appearance.
I mean this really reminds me of cherry pie filling.

The level of carbonation is great, though less than the raspberry tart. The body is still light and drinkable. This does lose some points on taste and drinkability for being a one trick pony...
But it is not a total loser... It is enjoyable for what it is...It is a fruitbeer afterall.

3.43/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Slightly hazy, medium amber color with less than one finger of diminishing parchment-tinted foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Aromatic fruit is rich and purposeful, making for a strong perfume. It shares a similar smell to its raspberry-brewed sister beer; this beer smells as much like raspberry fruit/seeds/tea as it does cherries.

T: Begins sweet, with refined malt that contributes just a touch of bread to what is otherwise pure fruit. There is an acidic thread present, which together with even less assertive earthy hops cultivate the expected tea-like quality. Fruit flavors lose some of their intensity in the clean finish, allowing the cherry component to stand out more there than at any other time.

M: Medium viscosity, acidic at times but otherwise balanced on the palate, with brisk carbonation.

D/O: To many, yeast and its metabolites are what distinguish Belgian-styled beers from those inspired by other brewing traditions. Despite being called Belgian, this fruit beer lacks any detectable Belgian yeast qualities. It, like New Glarus' other famous fruit beer Raspberry Tart, is a delivery vehicle for fruit qualities. This beer gains an advantage over its sister, projecting more honest cherry that the other was able to do for raspberries. Pair with dessert and women.

3.43/5  rDev -21.7%

A friend of mine brought this back from Wisconsin to drink while watching the GB game.
Pours a thick ruby color, hazey, some floaters. Off white/red head, minimal strength, some staying power.
Aroma hits at first as a cherry bomb-cough syrup, but it has a nice biscuit hint mixed in there. Semi sweet. Not as strong as the Lindeman's Kriek, a bit more complex.
Taste was cherry filled, sweet, sticky. Phenols make the cherries feel fake and syrupy. A thick feel to it with a small bite in the back to soften the syrup feel. A good brew, but not very drinkable to me.

3.45/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Because it tastes like cough syrup

Photo of
3.45/5  rDev -21.2%

750ml bottle courtesy of a trade with Flyingbison -- Thanks!

Cloudy, dark red/brown. Medium sized, rocky, light pink head. No legs, minimal lacing.

Smells like raspberries/berries/cherries. Sweet overall. Hint of alcohol.

Sweet more than bitter, but not by much. Tart is a better adjective than bitter, actually. Cherries -- big surprise! Other berry flavors as well. Chocolate as it warms.

Medium body. Medium + carbonation. Refreshing.

Stylistically, very well done compared to other fruit beers I've tried. Unfortunately, not to my taste. Glad to have had the opportunity, though.

3.45/5  rDev -21.2%

Murky, opaque red liquid topped by a moderate cream colored head. Aroma is very much like cherry pie filling, with a noticeable sweetness. Taste is also much the same, but with a sharp tartness on the finish. This beer is so acidic on the finish it tasted more like strong cherry lemonade at first. Even after 40 minutes of sipping on this, I still get occasional chills from the sharp bite on the finish. Every once in a while, a slight medicinal bitterness comes through, only to get smacked into submission by the sourness. Mouthfeel is good, with a medium body a supple carbonation. Drinkability is average. It seemed to take me forever to finish this beer. While I'm not trying to question the ingredients in this beer, it just tasted somewhat artificial. I don't know why, but to me it just does. It's interesting, and I'm glad I tried it.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company