Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,015
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros

StoutFest, Dec 07, 2011

mrkdwrds, May 26, 2014

littlebeer, Jan 09, 2014

Weebay, Oct 15, 2012

RayUF07, Apr 07, 2014

jbuddle, Jan 22, 2013

PhineasGage, Dec 14, 2011

Rihup, May 26, 2013

Got this as a gift from wellestone. Thank you, Chad. Shared with gwuilliums on Friday night. Poured chilled from 750ml bottle into tulip glasses.

A: Burgundy/red color. Decent head formation and retention. Carbonation persists. Some lacing.

S: Holy Mother of All that is Cherry! This does not smell like beer. It smells like a jar of tart cherries straight from Traverse City. Wow. I can not believe what I am smelling, then I read the bottle. "Over a pound of cherries in every bottle." Yep, now I get it. The one thing that I will say is that the smell is of of clean/fresh cherries. No cough syrup qualities at all.

T: Tastes like cherries topped with cherries and further topped by cherry topping. Really, just clean, concentrated tart cherry juice. I am not sure that this has any beer qualities at all.

M: This has a very nice medium body and excellent carbonation. But man, it is hard to get your head to stop thinking about the uber cherry taste in your mouth long enough to get the feel!

O: This beer is not for me, so, in keeping with my previous methods, when reviewing a beer that I would never drink again, I am rating this beer as straight 3's.

Spica66, Apr 18, 2011

TonyTalon, Apr 21, 2012

DarthGuitarHero, Jan 10, 2012

Unchi, Apr 13, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -30.8%

Split a bomber 3 ways; from notes.

Pours deep red, head has a slight pink hue. A very strange yet enticing look that really begs you to find out more.Smells like cherry syrup, kind of a "cherry burnetts (vodka) smell" as someone else around the table said. Unfortunately the cherries in the nose are a little bit too candy-like to smell fresh. Tastes like black cherry soda pop, fresh cherries, citrus rind, and bubble gum. Honestly it tastes closer to cherry soda then it does beer. Lively carbonation, medium bodied but a touch syrupy. Drinkability suffered for me, it was just too sweet and too cherry-y. A few people at the table were getting frustrated because they wanted to move to the next beer in our tasting and I was taking too long to finish my pour. I think that says something about its drinkability.

I fear this one doesn't live up to the hype for me. I was especially let down because I had just had New Glarus's Unplugged Cranbic the night before which really impressed me so I had especially high expectations.

Shumista, Jun 03, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -30.8%

I was quite surprised at this beer, surprised and disappointed. Normally I am a fan of all things new glarus but this beer was just too damn fruity. It smells like cherries, it tastes like cherries, it's cherry red. I mean, I like cherries and all but this stuff is like cough syrup. I wanted some beer with my fruit salad. One glass was enough, one bottle was far too much. For a brewery that ordinarily makes such well-balanced beers, this cherry thing has gotten a little out of hand. If I wanted juice, I wouldn't be drinking beer.

EddieTheTrooper, Jun 17, 2010

A ~2-year old WBR

Not an overly impressive offwhite foam head... No lacing either. Brew is hazy beet red.

Phew! Tons of syrup-y, sugary, cherry... A bit over whelming. Slight horse blanket funk too, is this normal?

Very dry, not as I expected. Slight off cherry flavor, very sweet, almost too much so. Perfect carbonation. Near offensive, pungent, cherry flavor.

A bit all over the place and a bit over done... This brew is a bit over rated, IMO. I wont seek it again, it would also be hard for me to recommend. I much prefer Raspberry Tart. Thanks Nick for sharing!

chugalug06, Apr 22, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -30.4%

A - a dull red with a white head.

S - a ton of cherries. Also a bit of cinnamon

T - a ton of cherries, a bit of cinnamon. Slight tart/ sour.

M - thin side of medium.

O - yep it's a fruit beer. I'm glad I tried it? I will not be seeking this out again. Could not drink more than 1/2 a glass, just too much.

s1ckboy, Nov 25, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Attractive bottle with wax melted over the cap. No dates of any kind. I sort of wonder if I got an older bottle. Read on... Pours clear cherry red with thin head that almost immediately dissipated to a thin film. Obvious sweet cherry aroma with a little sour yeast. Taste follows smell - almost like an alcoholic cherry soda but with a somewhat pleasant lingering aftertaste of candied cherries. Not at all complex. I feel like this beer could use a little more balance, maybe a little more in the hops department. I couldn't taste any as it is. Medium bodied, light carbonation, sticky syrup. Overall, this is interesting and worth a try, but I would recommend splitting the bottle between four people. Try it with something of considerable contrast like salty rye or pumpernickel crackers and mild cheese like gouda.

walshclimb, Jan 07, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours tomato red with a hairs length of foam on top which never leaves. Decent lacing, with tons of minuscule bubbles that play around the top when swirled.

Smells of fruit punch, cherries, cherries and more cherries.

This is an interesting beer. It is very hard to describe, there are of course the sweet cherries, acidic carbonation. Then there is this earthy quality, herbs, floral bits, perhaps vegetables come through along with a touch of sour. I suppose this just isn't my type of beer but it tastes too sweet and off-balance to me, like a cherry flavored soda or exotic mixed drink - which taste fine but aren't particularly appealing to me in a beer. Not gonna lie - reminds me of a higher quality, more subtle Mike's hard lemonade.

No alcohol detected. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, with a touch of syrupy sweetness.

Drinkability is no good on this one, maybe if I was a child drooling for candy, but after a while this makes one sick. I'll revisit this again sometime but it's not too appealing to me as of now.

ptykozoon, Sep 27, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -28.5%

Thanks to oakbluff for this one.

Poured from a 1 pint 9 fl. oz. bottle into 2 champagne flutes (me & my wife)

Appearance: Pours a dark, crimson red with 1 finger head & lots of carbonation. Not bad.

Smell: Sour cherry notes with slight sweetness. Nice smelling aroma.

Taste: Sourness hits me straight on. Sour cherry with a dry, wood-like quality.

Mouthfeel: Heavily carbonated but sourness unrelenting. I would have liked some more sweetness to balance it out. I have trouble distinguishing some of the nuances & am feeling the taste getting to me which brings us to:

Drinkability: I had trouble finishing this one, even while drinking it with my wife. A 12oz. bottle for 2 would be enough until then, i don't think i would try it again.

Overall: As with the Raspberry Tart, i must admit to being overwhelmed by these brews. They are high-quality for sure as the taste is clearly natural & not artificial but not for me which is strange because i actually like many fruit beers but i guess these particular ones aren't for me. I am grateful for being able to try them though.

papat444, Mar 17, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -28.5%

I suppose fruit beers and lambics just aren't my thing, but I could not help but try this belgian red at the New Glarus Brewery.

Appearance: About as close to red as beer can get, you can see the carbonation bubbles flying towards the top

Smell: Cherries, a whole pound of cherries! You can smell it from a mile away

Taste: Incredibly sour, obviously I know this is a matter of palate, but I just could not handle it.

Mouthfeel: Champagne dry, almost needed a glass of water afterward.

Drinkability: You're not exactly going to drink this down fast, to be served in small doses. Definetely a beer for non-beer people, and the big fruit beer fan's holy grail, just not for me

jdoherty, Oct 15, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -28.1%

I am the one who usually likes the unusual fruit beer.Not this time. This is way too tart and way too cherry.

I dragged this back from Wisconsin last week. It seemed like a great value, but now I'm not looking forward to finishing it. Throwing it out would be alcohol abuse.

schoolboy, Oct 20, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -26.9%

Warm red color, poured in a pilsner glass.
I had this beer before and loved every minute of it Head poured thick, but soon disappeared to a
fine white lacing. Fragrance comes across very sweet, almost syrupy
Wonderful fragrance of sweet cherries.
Other reviews I read thought that this was a very sweet beer. I did not find this so.
Very tart cherry flavor permeated the brew. Previous versions that I remember having did not seem as strong cherry flavor. This tart taste may take a while to get used to. Maybe, I should have aged it longer.
The finish is a very spicy with a dry/bitter bite.

Jaunty, Apr 22, 2014
3.23/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle I picked up at Woodman's in south-west Wisconsin.

Appearance is ruby-red. Red red red. So much so that it makes me slightly nervous. Hard pour gives a couple fingers of pink head which dissipates very quickly - snap crackle pop.

Not much to the nose - slight cherry scent. Smells vapid cold and cherry.

First sip is a blast of cherry sweetness. Whoa. Some tart too which makes it less of a cherry popsicle. If you look for it you'll find a slight, but interesting, roasted malt flavor in back.

The mouthfeel starts syrupy then quickly gets crisp and thin.

I bought two bottles, will let the other age a bit and hopefully the sweetness will relax a bit. Glad I had the young one, but won't likely have another till the second bottle ages 6 months or so.

davedahl, Nov 11, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured at a recent BA tasting event. Someone said that these NG beers are what you give to people who say they don't like beer as a way to convert them and I can easily see that. This pours a hazy auburn and smells overwhelmingly like maraschino cherries. The taste is like drinking a cherry dum-dum pop. Very sweet. Light on the tongue but the sweetness for me was overwhelming and I didn't want any more than about 2oz of it. Warrant would love this beer.

squaremile, May 31, 2010