1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

Ratings: 2047

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,047 | Reviews: 885 | Show All Ratings:
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.85/5  rDev +11%

Cheers to Sprinkle for this awesome brew. Pours a murky brown shade of red, with nice lacing. Smells of sweet and slightly tart cherries. Cranberries too, though I know they were not an ingredient in the beer.

Initial the taste is sweet cherry, this soon gives way to sour cherry, delicious, and more complex than I can adequately describe. Malt is there, but completely blends in with the cherries. Mouthfeel is smooth and lively, the bubbles are tiny. I believe this qualifies as a session beer under BA guidelines, if only I had another one or ten or so, I'd drink them all now.

03-20-2006 08:35:49 | More by Sephiroth
MaltyGoodness

750ml bottle thanks to nflmvp

Pours a hazy red color with a small white head that fades. Mild lacing on the glass.

Big, tart, fresh cherry aroma. Mild hints of sweetness peek through now and then.

Immediate slightly sweet fresh cherry taste that rushes into a puckering tartness. The tartness lingers and creates a mouth watering effect, which makes me eager for the next sip.

Full body, mild carbonation.

Wow, this is a fantastic fruit beer. Once I got started on the bottle, I couldn't stop until it was finished. Truly a pleasure. Not a daily drinker, but certainly one to enjoy on a regular basis. I've never tried anything that I could even remotely suggest as a substitute.

03-26-2007 02:30:58 | More by MaltyGoodness
IntriqKen

4.85/5  rDev +11%

Poured a maderate amber with a nice half finger head of white that melted to a faint ring of lace.

Aromas are all cherries....wonderful sweet cherries that give way to a sweet amber malt.

Taste is just plain yummy.
This is a fruit beer that really, really works. Sweet cherries but with a bit of bitter bite at the end that dry your mouth and make you wish for more.
I don't know what else to say except for sweet cherries. This is absolutely delicious with many, many subtle flavors I can't begin to identify...only enjoy.

Yes...yes...I love it.

08-26-2007 02:27:13 | More by IntriqKen
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

4.85/5  rDev +11%

Poured from a very big wax sealed mag, to a pint glass, the liquid is dark red like a burgundy wine with nice carbonation. The head is small with tiny bubbles, no lace either.

The smell is awesome best cherry beer ever.

The taste is enormous, wow what a great tasting brew, lots of semi sweet tart cherries, I'll just close my eyes and I'm back in Door County.

The mouthfeel is realy big and meaty, the carbonaton might not be most beer like but this is a special brew to be sure.

The drinkability very good really a great brew.

Prosit, und Zum Wohl. MK

01-13-2008 08:33:33 | More by MuenchenerKindl
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.85/5  rDev +11%

750ml bottled served at about 50 degrees and poured into several gold rimmed tulip glasses over the course of the evening.

A - Poured a wonderful fire engine red color with a very hazy, cloudy and murky look to it. Almost looked somewhat like a Hawaiian Punch type drink to put it in perspective. Very nice head of light pink colored foam then reached over top and formed a nice little pillow on the top of it that reached a height of about two fingers or so high. Nice gradual settling of this left behind little to no residual layer and just a small amount of side glass lace. Some carbonation was visible streaming up from the bottle of the glass, letting you know this one was still going strong.

S - The aroma was very thick and pungent, with huge smells of deep rich cherry that you could literally pick up from across the room they were so good. It was one of the freshest aromas I have encountered, being very sweet and at the same time still tart. Lots of sugar in this one and that was really very obvious from the first whiff you took. Now they say over a pound of cherries in each bottle, and I can believe it from this smell, it was tremendous and I could not wait to dive into this.

T - Now the taste, what can you really say about this one other then the fact it was pretty much perfect for the style. I have never had any fruit beer as good as the ones being put out now by New Glarus. They are really just tremendous in their freshness, depth and flavor and this was the prime example. From the first moment you took a sip it was all about a deeply rich, sweet, sour, tart, cherry flavor that is almost indescribable it is soo good. The level of sweetness at first was huge, but as I let it warm up it started to get a little more tart, without loosing any of the great flavors. There was just a tremendously large amount of fruit in here, really stronger then anything I had before, comparable only to their own raspberry tart, which was also in a world all its own. Really nothing much more I can say, I was almost speechless this was soo good. The finish again was very strong and very sweet, leaving me with a very long lasting flavor that was simply a treat to go back and get more of.

M - Seductively smooth and I really mean that. The consistency was like that of silk, very fine carbonation bubbles giving it that really smooth let alive feel that simply rolls around and really starts to pop on your tongue. Crisp and refreshing when cold and a perfect dessert as it warmed, this was just fantastic.

D- Now lets be honest here, sometimes went you get something loaded down with as much fruit and flavor as this it could be a little difficult to have that much of it as the flavor really starts to become a bit overwhelming. Not in the case here as I easily went through the bottle, and if I had more time and another bottle I might add, could have gone through that one as well. This was just really that good. Quite different from anything else and really just an awesome brew.

Overall I really do not have enough good things to say about this one. Every aspect of it was fantastic and I would gladly welcome a steady supply of it into my home. It is one of those things that are perfect for a special occasion or just sitting around watching a movie. Truly unique and in a world of its own, these New Glarus beers never cease to amaze me. I must start setting up some trades for this one ASAP.

01-30-2008 11:37:57 | More by mikesgroove
aerozeppl

4.85/5  rDev +11%

Thanks to drseamus for bringing this.

A: Cloudy bright red. Minimal white head.

S: Cherries big up front with some sweetness. Tartness in the back.

T: Cherries and tart. The raspberry tart has me dreading this but the tartness was not nearly as strong. Amazing the amount of flavor for such a low ABV ber.

M: Light body making this even more drinkable.

D: Tons of flavor for such a small beer. As a brewer this is one of those beers that toally blows my mind. How did they do this?

06-08-2008 19:08:17 | More by aerozeppl
Duffman

An absolute cracker...

The appearance of the beer is simply gorgeous. A shade of brownish red, perhaps a mahogany red. Whatever color you would call it, it is beautiful and not far short of perfect. Wonderful smell, with cherries and oakiness, a touch of hoppiness and malt coming through in harmony. The taste is even better. Cherries dancing on the tongue with the smooth oakiness balancing perfectly. A touch of sourness adds some contrast as well with the traditional beer-like tastes of hoppiness and malt delicately coming through towards the end. A long and smooth finish that is about as delicious and drinkable as beer gets. Exquisite.

09-01-2008 19:06:47 | More by Duffman
sideshowrob

Maryland

4.85/5  rDev +11%

Being in Maryland, this beer is much like Romulan Ale; I have a few people who sneak me some bottles now and then. Wish they distributed more widely, but I'm also glad to have some meaningful regional variability left.

The beer pours a reddish/amber hue, almost like thin blood. Little head, but strong carbonation. First hint of what you're about to get comes with the smell, a tart cherry aroma not unlike Dr. Browns dark cherry soda.

The taste, mouthfeel and drinkability are all harmoniously welded. The balance between sour and sweet is incredible. Each receptor in your tounge is overwhelmed with flavor. Once you start to quaff this elixer, it's hard to stop. The body just demands more and more. If Belgian Red was sold by the gallon that'd be fine with me.

08-09-2009 07:54:33 | More by sideshowrob
brownbeer

Missouri

4.85/5  rDev +11%

This beer is always a treat. Thanks to Thirdeye11 for this one.

A- Bright cherry red

S- Like sweet cherry candy with graham cracker malt. Not too complex, just brilliance.

T&M- Soft and delicate. Sweet and slightly tart cherry at the same time.

D- Refreshing and delicious. The kind of beer my mom(or anyone who doesn't like beer) would and should drink.

11-12-2009 03:01:46 | More by brownbeer
WesWes

4.85/5  rDev +11%

The beer pours a rosy red color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is outstanding! It has a killer cherry scent that's so tart and refreshing. I love sour cherries in beer. This is very much like the aroma of Lindeman's Kriek. The taste is perfect! It captures the essence of what a fruit beer can and should be. It's bold and refreshing with tons of tart fruit character. The mouthfeel is perfect as well. It's medium bodied with good carbonation. This and their Raspberry tart are by leaps and bounds the best fruit beers on the planet. I only wish it wasn't so hard to get my hands on them. Thanks to Tim and Mary Anderson for the opportunity to try these.

01-08-2010 21:22:51 | More by WesWes
clarkm04

Nebraska

4.85/5  rDev +11%

A- Pours a great ruby. A nice light pink/whitish head forms, but recedes quickly. A little lacing but not as much as I would aspect.

S- Very strong on the cherries. That's the overwhelming profile is slightly tart cherries. I get a slight malt flavor but this beer is designed to showcase the cherries and it does a great job.

T- I love the taste of this beer. No matter how many times I drink it, I always want more. The cherries shine through but in a balanced why so the sweetness is tempered and it's just a perfect complex cherry taste. Every time I drink it, I get new notes out of it. Very fresh with a nice tartness. Absolutely my favorite dessert beer.

M- Medium bodied with a good carbonation. Very delicate on the palate with a little stickiness but very full bodied.

O- Very outstanding! Easily one of my favorite beers. The beer is so unique and so well done that I sometimes am stunned that a cherry beer could be this delicate, fresh, and such a fun drinking experience.

07-07-2011 15:49:46 | More by clarkm04
Socalbeerlover

4.85/5  rDev +11%

I thought my first review should be the best fruit beer I have had to date.
A. Ruby red with tiny bubbles well carbonated.
S. Like McDonalds Cherry pie. I want to smell this beer as much as drink it.
T.Like Sara Lee Cherry Pie in a Glass def taste the "over a pound of Door Cherries per bottle".
M.Carbonated ,like champagne, sweet.
O.Fantastic,light ,fruity, cherries really come thru,crisp a great early morning riser due to the low alc% gladly pay 20$ to get a bottle shipped now and then.

07-26-2011 14:46:47 | More by Socalbeerlover
KickbacksSteve

4.85/5  rDev +11%

750 ml bottle poured into Efes tulip. Thanks Cheesemoose! Leathery brown in color, small head, low retention. Clear, sticky lacing. Aroma dominated by cherry (of course). I suppose that it would be easy to screw this flavor up but its done perfectly. Not medicinal, not cough syrup. Splendid. Taste is fascinating, unique and certainly delicious. Cherry sweetness and tartness is front stage and center and just awesome. Amazing and unique beer.

08-28-2011 05:29:09 | More by KickbacksSteve
cnbrown313

4.85/5  rDev +11%

To me, this is the epitome of what a fruit beer should be. I have had it many times, but I finally decided to actually write a review after drinking a whole bottle to myself on the 4th of July! Purchased just over the IL / WI border, for $9.49 a bottle.

A - It pours a pure, cherry red with a good amount of carbonation and an off white head that recedes quickly.

S - The smell is of strawberry jam / cherry pie. With a little bit of earthiness to it. It smells like it is going to be overly sweet, unless you have tasted one before.

T - The taste is perfect. The only way I can describe it is that it literally tastes like the filling from the freshest cherry pie you've ever had. Or like fresh strawberry jam. Surprisingly though, this beer is not all that sweet and it is pretty easy to drink. No boozy taste at all, but it is only 4%. Usually sweet beers or drinks will give me a headache after the first glass, but I gladly poured myself a 2nd, and 3rd from the bottle. I should also note that if you like sour beers, you should try the Raspberry Tart instead of this, as the Belgian Red isn't really sour at all. The RT is also quite good, but in my opinion, this is much better.

M - The carbonation is almost perfect and the bubbles float nicely across the palate.

O - If you have access to this, pick a bottle up. My favorite fruit beer, period.

07-06-2012 18:21:26 | More by cnbrown313
ethosx19

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

This is by far the best fruit beer I have tried. Pours red...cherry aroma...high carbonation. The sweetness and carbonation give a great mouthfeel and I love the sour tart finish of the Door County cherries. I can't image getting any more cherry taste in this beer. Good with chocolate too.

01-03-2003 21:27:54 | More by ethosx19
Realale

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours deep opaque red/brown. Thin raspy head quickly dissapears, leaving only a solitary island in the center of the glass which slowly vanishes.

Nose is incredibly rich fresh sour cherries over earthy, slight apple-cidery, barnyard and bisquity-grain notes. Hints of chocolate and kirsch develop. Wow.

Even better in the mouth. Simply beautiful and rich on the palate with a penetrating sourness that leaves the tongue tingling. Great body, with a touch of residual sugar to take some of the sting out of the acidity. I'd prefer it to be a bit more sour, but its still an easy "5" as it is.

Great fine carbonation scrubs sourness away at the end of the incredibly long finish. A lick of the lips results in waves of sour cherry echoing across the palate. A tremendous beer.

07-01-2003 15:37:05 | More by Realale
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer pours a nice rosey red color with a healthy 2 finger head over top that falls to generously coat the beer. The nose is huge cherry. Wow. It smells really nice, but not too big. The flavor is sour, sour, sour cherry. As soon as the beer departs the glass and crosses my lips, the sour grabs my tongue. As I swallow the beer, a sweetness and slight, very slight maltyness grabs me. The feel is super thick, almost sytupy, staying long on the tongue. This is a nice nice beer.

Edit: I still love this beer. So good. So balanced. A fine beer.

01-15-2005 18:30:07 | More by kmpitz2
clvand0

Kentucky

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Thanks to kmpitz2 for sharing this bottle with us. What a beer. It pours a bright red color with a small ring of pink foam around the top. Leaves some lacing on the glass as well. Very strong aroma of cherries with just a tiny bit of sourness. Nice. The flavor was unreal. Lots of cherry flavor all over the place. Slight tart character, but very slight. Love the flavor of the cherries in this one. Spectacular flavor. Drinkability is wonderful as well. I MUST seek out more of this beer.

02-07-2005 17:58:00 | More by clvand0
TastyTaste

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Dark red/brown color, poured from a green glass waxed and capped 25 ounce bottle. Small white head atop. Sweet cherry smell dominates this with a subtle maltiness in hiding, some what like a cherry cider. Taste is extremely cherry dominant, sweet, but not candy-like or cloying. Hops are no where to be seen. A very different fruit beer, nothing like I have ever had. Light evervescent and refreshing.

I took another BA's suggestion, and mixed this with some Young's Double Chocolate Stout, and it was one of the richest and flavorfull beers I have ever had.

04-18-2005 19:59:12 | More by TastyTaste
Knuckles

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

I'll make no secret of it, I love this beer. I had my first taste of it almost ten years ago, back in the halcyon days when it was named "Wisconsin Cherry Ale". My friend Chip is from Door County, and would pick up a bottle or two here and there when he went home for the holidays, just to shut me up. I was utterly blown away by it then, and remain blown away to this very day. It's not for everyone, but I think any beer such as this that completely defines itself, and many other American beers to follow, really needs to be given due credit.

Appearance: This is the only area I'm disappointed. It pours a brilliant red (not quite pink), with a light pink head. However, as it's unfiltered, it gives it sort of a murky appearance that leads one to believe it's going to feel a bit thicker than it really does.

Smell: Well, kids, there's no denying it. This is a cherry beer. I don't drink fruit beers as a general rule, as most tend to try and add fruit flavor to a typically bland ale of some sort. This beer does no such thing. This beer revels in its cherryness. It exists solely for the cherries, not for the beer, and that's all you smell. No yeast, no malt, no beer. Just cherry.

Taste: Again, if you don't like cherries, you won't like this beer. Me, I like them. Sweet at the start, dry and tart at the finish. I've given this beer to many people who have said, "This isn't beer." And were it not for the strict definition of the process that makes a beer a beer, I might actually agree with them. But since this beer follows the rules, then by jinkies I'm going to call it a beer. And to hell with all y'all that disagree. I will also love every precious $10 bottle I can get my mitts on.

Mouthfeel: Again, the murk belies the lightness of tongue that this beer has. It is really a very delicate feel, almost like sparkling wine. It does have a definite malt presence, but doesn't have the tongue-sticky cloyingness that an American wheat beer like UFO or Widmer does. This sumbitch is incredibly refreshing on a hot summer day.

Drinkability: This all depends (as previously mentioned), on your tolerance for cherries. What makes this beer truly great, however, is that you can share it with almost anyone (yes, the boys got a wee nip and were suitably impressed) and they will generally enjoy it. That said, a little cherry can go a long way. My wife and I have done two of the 750 ml bottles of this at once, but that's about all I'd do.

08-22-2005 16:51:49 | More by Knuckles
grub

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Viggo was nice enough to share this truly excellent beer. huge thanks eric!

750ml bottle, topped in dark red wax.

pours hazy pinkish red with a bit of dense pink head. some spotty lace.

aroma is fantastic. tons of cherry. at a distance it seemed vaguely cough-syrupy, but up close it is great. sour cherries with a nice fresh earthy character. light sweetness. bit of sourness. excellent.

taste is excellent. wow. lots of cherry, but not at all cloying or syrupy. slight sour cherry. bit of spiced cake. hint of brown sugar and spice. truly great stuff.

mouthfeel is awesome. super silky smooth carbonation. nice body, but not at all cloying.

drinkability is excellent. this is a truly excellent beer.

03-26-2007 18:15:51 | More by grub
Viggo

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Thanks to oakbluff in Winterpeg for hooking me up with this. Sampled with some fellow BA's, DrJay, biegaman, and grub.

Pours a very murky red/brown, thick off white head forms, settles down to a think layer and ring, nice lacing on the glass. Smell is amazing, rich real cherries, very earthy, toffee, brown sugar, nice sourness from the cherries, quite amazing. Taste is cherry cake, toffee, nice sour cherries through the middle, spices, some ginger, more cherries and brown sugar. Mouthfeel is full bodied, very thick, silky smooth low carbonation. Fucking amazing beer, just insane, I can't wait to try again! Thanks Scott, I owe you for this one!

03-30-2007 03:03:16 | More by Viggo
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

I got this bottle in a great trade with joe1510. Thanks a bunch, Joe!!

This isn't my first sample of this brew. I bought a bottle of it and the Raspberry Tart years ago before I started reviewing and have had samples of both every time I've been to the GABF. Boy am I thrilled to have it again!

Pours from capped and mimimally waxed 750ml bottle a cloudy red with a nice solid, be it small, head of foam with some good lacing.

The smell is of cherrries, cherries, and...more cherries!~ A +lb of cherries in every bottle will do that for you. ;^)

The taste...is of wonderful, semi sweet and sweet cherry. In the background, I can just get some wheat, more pronounced when I swish the beer in my mouth, and a slight woody flavour. Boy, is this a joy to sip on and yeah, it's very low in the abv department but when you get a brew of this caliber, sipping is the *only* way to go. The mouthfeel is almost chewy, nah, I'm going to say that it *is* chewy and the carbonation is very lively.. just the right level for me to make my drinking experience stellar. There's also a small hop presence there to add just a touch of bitterness; not too much, mind you, as the cherry flavour is what Belgian Red is all about.

I just poured some more into my glass and I have a huge smile on my face. Wow. Is this ever a satisfying beer.

Bottom line: This is a world class brew that hits my palate on all cylinders. Like I said before I got this in a trade and it certainly won't be the last time I trade for it. Thank again, Joe!!

12-15-2007 18:14:11 | More by Bitterbill
madtowndmb1

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

I figure I'll finally review this since it's always at my house and we (my wife) drinks a ton of it.

This beer is fantastic! It pours a cherry red with a bubbly little head. The scent is awesome! Smells like a cherry juice with carbonation. Everything else on this beer is Amazing! It deserves the #37 spot in the top 100!

Everyone should try this beer.

01-30-2009 03:49:47 | More by madtowndmb1
bobsy

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

The last of the reviews I'm gonna write up on the beers we had last night. I wouldn't trust my palate or memory to accurately recall anything more than the first couple we had. Fortunately the first couple were classics.

Deep blood red body with a foamy off-white head. Sticky lace. Full on kriek aroma - sour cherries, leather and a touch of cider. Sour cherry flavour with a great deal of funk, leather and sugar. A pound of cherries in each bottle and you can tell. In terms of its profile and intensity it reminded me a lot of ice cider. Full, decadent mouthfeel and slightly sticky. This would make a great dessert beer.

Its fascinating and special. I hope my wife can bring me some of this back from the midwest... it may well make up for her chickening out on the growler of masala mama.

Cheers Troy!