2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

Ratings: 2054

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,054 | Reviews: 886 | Show All Ratings:
EGledhill

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Big thanks to ncbvc for this gem. Poured into snifter glass.

A. Redish brown with white fluffy head that leaves a nice lacing the whole way through.

S. Great smell of cherries and a slight maltiness.

T. Simply fantastic. A wonderfully balanced cherry flavor, slightly tart and mildly oaky. Possibly the most fantastic taste I've ever tried.

M. Light and crisp with a mild carbonation.

D. Exceptional drinkability. Could easily drink this all night and not get bored.

Overall this is one fantastic brew. Glad to have tried this and sorry to see this bottle empty. I knew I shouldn't have shared this with my girlfriend and her mother.

10-20-2008 01:01:11 | More by EGledhill
LittleBug31

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Bright, deep ruby. Small white-pink head. Sparkly bubbles that meander toward the surface.

S: Cherries. Cherries and more cherries. Amazingly tart but incredibly sweet aroma. Fresh picked ripe cherries and my Grandma's awesome warm cherry pie.

T: Reminds me of my favorite snack-- dried tart Montmorency cherries from Door County, WI. Same exact flavor as the actual thing. Sweet and light with awesome flavor. Can't say "Cherries" enough.

M: Smooth and velvety with mild carbonation. Not much else is noticeable past the incredible flavor of this beer.

D: Like juice. This is so appealing to me that I could drink it for breakfast. Just tart enough that the sweetness does not dominate at makes this the perfect fruit beer.

01-17-2010 05:30:04 | More by LittleBug31
Risser09

750ml bottle poured into a wine tulip - fridge - probably 2009

Appearance: Pours a murky brown color with cherry red hues at the edges. A vigorous, but short-lived brown, red-tinted head builds and falls down just like soda would. A minimal lace ring stays behind.

Smell: Tons and tons of cherry aroma indicates the shear amount that they put in every batch. It's so strong, on the verge of medicinal, but is showing signs of sweetness and barrel aging (wood). Excellent, mouthwatering.

Taste: Super cherry intensity. The cherries are again on the border of medicinal, but they are curbed by the wheat malt flavor. It really tastes just like a sweet cherry picked off the tree, with an alcohol boost. Top notch.

Mouthfeel: Very effervescent and lively, compared to the raspberry tart. Sweet, tart, quenching and intense. Some lingering alcohol.

Drinkability: This beer is a superb dessert. I could have one every night if I could afford it and it was actually available in PA. I think this might be better than the raspberry tart.

07-05-2010 01:03:54 | More by Risser09
NODAK

Tennessee

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Smells like maraschino cherry juice....very sweet and syrupy. Rich. Awesome.

Pours crimson red in my flute glass. Small but decent head.

And the taste?? Wowza. Probably the best fruit beer I've ever had. Actually, drop the probably...it IS the best. Starts off very sweet and juicy, with bing cherries bursting through all over. Really it's like I'm drinking the juice of ripe bing cherries. Know what else it reminds me of?? A cherry Jolly Rancher. I don't mean to make that comparison as to make it sound fake, as this doesn't taste artificial to me at all...which makes sense, considering they use real cherries in the brewing process. However, on the finish, there's a good acidic tartness that comes through and keeps the sweetness from being cloying throughout the drink. This dryness actually remains me of a wine. This raises the drinkability for me quite a bit. I'm not sure if these are tannins or not, though the website does say this is like a marriage between wine and beer.

Just awesome all around. Every drink was delicious and I awaited the next.

05-21-2011 01:48:27 | More by NODAK
landhoney

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

I love this beer, despite it being almost more of a cherry cider than a beer. This beer is all about the cherry, although the base beer must be solid to build the cherry goliath on top of. The cherry aroma, taste, sourness, and sweetness are all there, so intense it borders on medicinal but it is NOT, it's a natural/real cherry taste that is so enjoyable and refreshing. I could guzzle this stuff by the gallon and never tire of it, can't think of a negative except maybe there are more complex beers out there. I wish they made a sour variant of this, but they should never change this beer, it is exceptional on its own and for what it is; a cherry beer.

05-31-2011 21:06:00 | More by landhoney
nsp73

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

One of my favorite beers.
Every bottle is made with over a pound of cherries and you can tell the moment you open the bottle.
It's a reddish color with a huge foamy head. As you drink you can smell and taste the cherries. Pretty much tastes like your drinking cherry pie.
It leaves a nice lacing as you go down but I feel the head can be a bit obnoxious at times. Especially towards the end because you really do savor and enjoy every sip of this beer. Fantastic.

09-25-2011 23:04:30 | More by nsp73
stealth

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a slightly cloudy amber/red with a rapidly vanishing foamy pinkish/white head. Not much lacing - steady carbonation rising up the glass while drinking. Smells pretty much just like a cherry Jolly Rancher. My mouth immediately starts to salivate. The flavor of this 'beer' is perfect. Liquified cherry Jolly Rancher. New Glarius really hits a home run with the balance between the cherry sweetness and sour cherry tartness. No aftertaste, and finishes real dry. Leaves you puckering for the next drink. I can't imagine this being improved at all. This is a very refreshing and crisp drink. A nice body that was much thicker than I expected.

This is the perfect fruit beer. Ranked #1 in the world for a reason.

01-30-2012 08:08:57 | More by stealth
BadgerBrewer16

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Awesome in your face cherry smell right up front, poured into a champagne flute a reddish amber color, head dissipated almost immediately to just a ring of foam, taste is tart cherries up front with a sweet finish, this is one great beer that left me wanting more

03-03-2012 02:37:11 | More by BadgerBrewer16
DaftCaskBC

British Columbia (Canada)

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Generously shared by Rutager.

A: 3/4" tan head that dissipated quickly over red liquid.

S: Cherries and candy sugar predominate.

T: Cherries, candy sugar and yeast flavours.

M: Medium viscosity and a medium level of fine carbonation.

O: Extremely drinkable. A beautiful treat of a beer.

04-25-2012 16:07:01 | More by DaftCaskBC
Bighuge

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Luscious cranberry-like red hue. Unbelievable aroma. Great cranberry/vanilla sweet smell with quite a bit of cherry too. It's a sweet aroma, but not a malty sweet aroma. Fruity sweet. The taste is exceptional. Woody, vinous, dry and of course, loads of cherry. This is one of my all-time favorites and it never fails. Every time I have had this, it has been exceptional. A true classic.

04-21-2002 19:57:22 | More by Bighuge
AlexJ

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Deep garnet pour with a light pinkish head that leaves very little lace. Head retains nicely for a fruit beer.

Aroma is pure, incredibly fresh, beautiful cherries. Fresh, plump, and sweet. My mouth is watering just writing this review. There are hints of other dark fruit and a hint of vanilla.

Flavor is like drowning in fresh cherries. So juicey and real, perfectly tart and sweet. Flavors of cherry pie and subtle almond. If fresh cherries only tasted this good. Perfect and impossible to put down the glass. I want to quit my job and drink this for a living.

Body is medium and slick with juice. Just the right amount of carbonation. I could drink gallons of this beautiful example of beer.

12-19-2007 22:32:21 | More by AlexJ
Atricapilla

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Wow. This was good. Poured from a champagne bottle; it has a garnet color with a small slightly pinkish head. The beer is light in carbonation although this meshes well with the sour and sweet tastes that are imparted from the cherries. Has a tremendous and complex cherry taste. This bottle was gone way too fast.

01-04-2008 05:22:24 | More by Atricapilla
DavoleBomb

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a tulip. Thanks to alcstradamus for this one.

4.0 A: Murky amber red color sort of how dried blood looks. Two fingers of frothy white head with average retention and some lacing.

5.0 S: Holy shit, the cherries. I just had the Raspberry Tart and this is pretty much the same aroma, but with cherries. Cherries, cherries, cherries! Nothing but cherries. The cherries block out everything else. I didn't give the Tart a 5 on the nose, because I appreciate complexity, but i can't not give this a 5 because it's so damn enticing.

5.0 T: Again, the cherries dominate the hell out of this beer, but it doesn't matter. It's so damn tasty. Cherries are mainly sweet, like maraschino cherries, but not in a fake way. There's a subtle tartness that balances the sweetness well. Like the Tart, there isn't any malt or hops to talk about, but I'm sure they do their part in the background.

5.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation is spritzy and dances on the tongue. Super smooth.

5.0 D: I need more of these fruit twins. This is the PERFECT dessert beer for both beer aficianados and BMC guzzlers alike. I'm both sad and disgusted that I only have one bottle left.

05-02-2010 06:26:53 | More by DavoleBomb
ZAP

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

Mahogony/cherrywood color...bubbly lace...smells of cherries(surprise)..great aroma...heavy cherry taste with a hint of brown sugar..tart finish...if you want a fruit flavored beer this is it..a CLASSIC....nice carbonation keeps from tasting syrupy.

04-25-2002 22:01:27 | More by ZAP
PeprSprYoFace

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

This is easily on my top 5 beers tried and I have had around 32 of the top 100. This is my 3rd bottle that I have drank and I'm finally starting to review the beers I drink.

Poured into a lindemans flute glass. Pours a nice looking bright red color with almost no head.

Smells of straight sweet and tart cherries. Smells amazing.

Taste just punches you in the face with how much cherry flavor is in here. So good with the sweetness and tartness balanced well.

Mouthfeel is great with a nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is very high with me though I have been told by friends that they could not drink alot if this because of the sweetness. But for me I could drink the whole 750ml bottle. I stocked up on this after my first taste. Awesome brew that everyone should seek out. Can see the ladies liken this one...

06-10-2008 06:54:50 | More by PeprSprYoFace
onecrazybreeze

Colorado

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

Bottle at the GABF. I feel so lucky to have tried this beer. Poured a dark red color, with a thick creamy reddish head. Smelled sweet of cherry, tart cherries not sweet ones. Tasted just like cherry pie, not overly sweet and sticky though, just the actual taste of cherry pie. Probably one of the best beers I've ever had, and it makes me sad everyday that Colorado can't get it.

12-26-2008 10:58:39 | More by onecrazybreeze
Halcyondays

750 mL bottle, shared by kbm,

A: Pours a medium vermillion red, with a light fizzy off-white head, nice colour.

S: Baked cherry pie, that sums it up. A beautiful fragance.

T: A lot more cherry pie, cherries soaking in maple syrup is another way to describe it. Notes of graham cracker in the finish and sugar. A completely real cherry flavour. I'd describe the sugar level as off-sweet/demi sec for a wine term.

M: Soft carbonation, light-bodied. Very easy going on the palate and so drinkable.

D: This is the best fruit beer I've ever had. I could drink this forever if it wasn't so rare. New Glarus took the time and fermented real cherries and it shows in the taste, there's just no substitute for the real thing. With all the artificial flavour out there in the fruit beers today, you've got to look to New Glarus for the best. If I ever get to Wisconsin I'm buying a case of this stuff, and I've never bought a case of anything in my life. I've been wanting to try this forever, and it did not disappoint. Wow!

09-06-2009 20:20:35 | More by Halcyondays
newk340

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

A: BR has an opaque ruby red color upon pouring with a hint of brown hue to it when held to the light. Little to no head when poured into a champagne flute (poured during a celebration immediately following Dom Perignon... hopefully that doesnt mess with my review... haha)

S: one word: CHERRIES. the strong smell of cherries blasts the olfactory senses, invoking thoughts of a Wisconsin summer on a lake.

T: an explosion of cherries tingles the tongue while emitting undertones of beer and wine with a champagne finish.

MF/D: an intensely fruity beer with the smoothest carbonation possible (considering how much it has). not a fruit beer kind of guy, but i could practically be content with a case of this for the night.

07-04-2010 07:44:32 | More by newk340
amphion1065

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

64 oz. Half Acre Growler shared with friends - I enjoyed the lion's share from a Duvel tulip. This particular growler was a replacement for one that fell prey to a delivery exception, and the box in which it came provided me with enough packing material for untold future trades.

The carbonation of this five-day-old growler is absolutely phenomenal. An audible burst of air upon unscrewing the cap! This pours a gorgeous, deep dark ruby shade, with stunning clarity. A 1.5-finger cherry-tinted white head has very tight bubbles and fantastic retention. Moderate lacing as well.

I will never tire of smelling this beer. Pure, unadulterated cherries. The fruit is so crisp and pure. This seems sweeter than the bottled version, as if some subtle vanilla crept in.

That wonderful cherry tartness really comes through in the taste. One of the truly unique things about this beer is the "natural" taste of the fruit addition: in this case, the cherries impart a wonderful sourness in perfect balance with the sweetness present. This is such a light and wonderful beer, but the taste is really huge - cherries coat the palate with every sip.

The mouthfeel of this growler is actually unreal. The carbonation is flawless, the mouthfeel lush but just so spot on. I was so sad to see this growler go, but it was so worth it.

Better than the bottle? Very possible, though absence does make the heart grow fonder. I’m totally enamored of this beer, and actually can't fathom that there's a better representation of the style. Forever ISO this work of art.

Serving type: growler

10-29-2011 12:48:05 | More by amphion1065
QXSTER1

Beautiful dark tan with a hint of red color, bursting with cherry aroma. Taste of tart cherries, balanced by the sweet malt. Better than a cherry wine.

09-22-2001 12:46:49 | More by QXSTER1
brakspear

Wisconsin

For my 100th review I had to select the best specialty beer brewed in Wisconsin -- it was certainly tough to let the bottle sit in my beer cave awaiting my entry into the mugclub!

The presentation alerts you that this beer is something different: a 25 oz champange bottle sealed with crimson bottling wax....the beer is best served in a brandy snifter or champange flute according to Master Brewer Dan Carey.

The beer pours a deep ruby red with a frothy pink head, that does not linger long, but does not need to with the lingering carbonation hidden in the depths of this ale.

The aroma is an explosive blend of sour Montmorency cherry and spicy oak earthy notes. Tremendous balance in the aroma that prevents the cherry from becoming overwhelming.

The taste is also an amazing blend of cherry tartness and slight malty sweetness, balanced with an earthy oak dryness. This is not an ale to be gulped, but savored throughout the night.

This is a nearly perfect example of what craft brewing can produce, given the skills of an expert brewer, the use of exceptional local ingredients, and a daring to try something unique. New Glarus deserves all the awards they have received for this tremendous ale.

01-12-2003 12:30:11 | More by brakspear
Winter

Wisconsin

My 100th review had to be something special. Fortunately, an award winning, unique and local ale can be had in New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red. It was hard waiting to review this spectacular offering, but the time has finally arrived...

Belgian Red comes in a 750 ml green bottle with red wax dripped over the cap and top of the neck. I grabbed a brandy snifter and began pouring it into the glass. The color is a clouded, tawny red with a thin light-pink head. The aroma consists of sweet cherries and oak. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and crisp from the carbonation. Initial taste is of sweet cherries followed by a tartness that balances out the initial sweetness. This never-ending act of sweet & sour tartness is played out to perfection as both of the oppossite flavors are kept in check by each other somehow in an ideal balance. Pleasant carbonation hits the middle of the tongue. Belgian Red retains the earthy and wood flavors of the oaken casks that were used to age this ale followed by a mild tartness in the finish.

This is the perfect beer to replace wine at the dinner table with Thanksgiving Turkey. Or great to share with a loved one on Valentine's Day. Wisconsin Belgian Red is an ale that's meant to be savored and enjoyed. Perfect for special occasions, and holidays, yet it's great beer to have on hand and serve anytime.

02-15-2003 09:06:11 | More by Winter
beerguy101

Reddish brown color, hazy. Small to no head. Aroma is cherry and malt. WOW.. AND I DO MEAN WOW!! I had this beer several years ago, and while I had no notes on it. It tastes exactly the way I remembered it. Medium bodied. Intense cherry flavor, sweet, sour and tart. There is some malt sweetness as well as hop spiciness as well. Complex and intense flavors. Extremely smooth. Not very beer like, closest style might be a lambic?? But, who cares it tastes amazing. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is clean and sweet. World class beer.

05-22-2003 17:52:41 | More by beerguy101
BadBadger

This is a truely an amazing beer. It pours a dark color with red hints of the cherries contained within the beverage. The head was more than descent and lasted long enough to enjoy. The smell was an olfactory delight. Yum, the taste was absolutely amazing: first thoughts are of fresh homemade cherry pie. While rather pleasantly strong, the sweetness is nicely balanced by the hops. This is a beer to enjoy with friends after a nice meal. Enjoy!

12-26-2004 14:51:31 | More by BadBadger
Iguana

Oregon

Bottle gotten via a trade with JeffKrenner

A: Poured a bright reddish with brown hues. 1 inch pink head that went down to lacing after a couple minutes.

S: Smells like fresh cherry pie.

T: Taste is simply amazing. Cherries, sour cherries, and umm cherries. As it warms up a nice chocolate taste starts coming through that took me awhile to nail down, but I thought it was tootsie roll flavored. Man thats a nice combo.

M: Smooth, very full and kinda tart which really brought everything together.

D: Quite probably the most enjoyable beer I have had to date. Gave my parents a try and neither of them who really cares for beer both said that 1 they would go out and buy. I know if I ever get the chance to get more of this, I will stock up. This beer is a must try for anyone especially if you enjoy cherries.

01-31-2007 03:49:04 | More by Iguana