Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

Wants: 1,134
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 950 | Hads: 3,176
4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

Thanks to oakbluff in Winterpeg for hooking me up with this. Sampled with some fellow BA's, DrJay, biegaman, and grub.

Pours a very murky red/brown, thick off white head forms, settles down to a think layer and ring, nice lacing on the glass. Smell is amazing, rich real cherries, very earthy, toffee, brown sugar, nice sourness from the cherries, quite amazing. Taste is cherry cake, toffee, nice sour cherries through the middle, spices, some ginger, more cherries and brown sugar. Mouthfeel is full bodied, very thick, silky smooth low carbonation. Fucking amazing beer, just insane, I can't wait to try again! Thanks Scott, I owe you for this one!

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

A- Pours a clear, ruby red with a small white head. Good lacing and head retention.

S- Cherries, hints of vanilla?

T- More cherries...fresh and above all else, real. Tart. Dare I say orgasmic?

M- Dances on the tongue like its sister Raspberry Tart.

D/O- I've had many a beers in my day but this remains one of the best beers I've ever had. Light and fruity, its an easy drinker although I find myself taking small sips just to savor. The epitome of "world class".

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer pours a nice rosey red color with a healthy 2 finger head over top that falls to generously coat the beer. The nose is huge cherry. Wow. It smells really nice, but not too big. The flavor is sour, sour, sour cherry. As soon as the beer departs the glass and crosses my lips, the sour grabs my tongue. As I swallow the beer, a sweetness and slight, very slight maltyness grabs me. The feel is super thick, almost sytupy, staying long on the tongue. This is a nice nice beer.

Edit: I still love this beer. So good. So balanced. A fine beer.

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

I got this bottle in a great trade with joe1510. Thanks a bunch, Joe!!

This isn't my first sample of this brew. I bought a bottle of it and the Raspberry Tart years ago before I started reviewing and have had samples of both every time I've been to the GABF. Boy am I thrilled to have it again!

Pours from capped and mimimally waxed 750ml bottle a cloudy red with a nice solid, be it small, head of foam with some good lacing.

The smell is of cherrries, cherries, and...more cherries!~ A +lb of cherries in every bottle will do that for you. ;^)

The taste...is of wonderful, semi sweet and sweet cherry. In the background, I can just get some wheat, more pronounced when I swish the beer in my mouth, and a slight woody flavour. Boy, is this a joy to sip on and yeah, it's very low in the abv department but when you get a brew of this caliber, sipping is the *only* way to go. The mouthfeel is almost chewy, nah, I'm going to say that it *is* chewy and the carbonation is very lively.. just the right level for me to make my drinking experience stellar. There's also a small hop presence there to add just a touch of bitterness; not too much, mind you, as the cherry flavour is what Belgian Red is all about.

I just poured some more into my glass and I have a huge smile on my face. Wow. Is this ever a satisfying beer.

Bottom line: This is a world class brew that hits my palate on all cylinders. Like I said before I got this in a trade and it certainly won't be the last time I trade for it. Thank again, Joe!!

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

I figure I'll finally review this since it's always at my house and we (my wife) drinks a ton of it.

This beer is fantastic! It pours a cherry red with a bubbly little head. The scent is awesome! Smells like a cherry juice with carbonation. Everything else on this beer is Amazing! It deserves the #37 spot in the top 100!

Everyone should try this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

Cheers to Sprinkle for this awesome brew. Pours a murky brown shade of red, with nice lacing. Smells of sweet and slightly tart cherries. Cranberries too, though I know they were not an ingredient in the beer.

Initial the taste is sweet cherry, this soon gives way to sour cherry, delicious, and more complex than I can adequately describe. Malt is there, but completely blends in with the cherries. Mouthfeel is smooth and lively, the bubbles are tiny. I believe this qualifies as a session beer under BA guidelines, if only I had another one or ten or so, I'd drink them all now.

4.86/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint. Thanks to redbird!

Well, this is just a little embarrassing. I held on to this for a long time. Probably longer than I should have, since I got this bad boy about 8 months ago, and who knows how long it was around before then. Hoping for the best! Pours a very hazy red color with a tiny head that drop fast. The smell? Dear GOD that smells good! Cherries! There are cherries in this beer. Lots of cherries. I love cherries. This smells very good. It also tastes like there's cherries in this beer. It does a great job of balancing the sweet and the tart. The mouthfeel is crisp and light, and the drinkability is amazing. Why did I wait so long to pop this one? This is seriously a world-class beer. If you like cherries, you will like this beer. No way around that.

4.87/5  rDev +12%

Dark red/brown color, poured from a green glass waxed and capped 25 ounce bottle. Small white head atop. Sweet cherry smell dominates this with a subtle maltiness in hiding, some what like a cherry cider. Taste is extremely cherry dominant, sweet, but not candy-like or cloying. Hops are no where to be seen. A very different fruit beer, nothing like I have ever had. Light evervescent and refreshing.

I took another BA's suggestion, and mixed this with some Young's Double Chocolate Stout, and it was one of the richest and flavorfull beers I have ever had.

4.87/5  rDev +12%

Poured into a champagne flute from a 750ml bottle.

A: Pours, an amber/ruby red color w/ a eggshell/pink some what creamy looking head. About 3 fingers worth of head.

S: A mix between a ripe cherry and cherry pie. Just amazing, really catches the essence of a cherry in here.

T: Just the same as the smell, it's sweet, but not too sweet. And's it's tart and but too tart, just like it should be. Very perfectly well executed.

MF: Great dense, creamy mouthfeel, that is actually quite unique and enjoyable.

Overall, I'd suggest you get one of these bottles immediately, and drink it. You won't be disappointed! Wow, this is a great fruit beer right here.

4.87/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a 750 into an Allagash Tulip. Red, with a slight brownish tent. Small amount of carbination with a small head, poured very, very cold.

Fresh Cherry pie filling on the smell, really awesome. Does not smell like cherry cough syrup, this is fresh pie filling. Such a sweet smell that it is almost cherry candy by the finish.

Taste almost exactly as it smells. Predominately cherry pie filling. Fresh and sweet with a small amount of tartness. Very small hints of alcohol at all, especially for a fruit beer

Smooth with the perfect amount of carbonation. This is refreshing, especially for the amount of sweetness that it has in it. Almost perfect as far as taste and mouth feel good.

This beer is very tasty, as close as a desert beer as I would think you could get. There is really no malt characteristic to this at all, Its like you are drinking a fruit soda, that is the only downfall

4.87/5  rDev +12%

I'll make no secret of it, I love this beer. I had my first taste of it almost ten years ago, back in the halcyon days when it was named "Wisconsin Cherry Ale". My friend Chip is from Door County, and would pick up a bottle or two here and there when he went home for the holidays, just to shut me up. I was utterly blown away by it then, and remain blown away to this very day. It's not for everyone, but I think any beer such as this that completely defines itself, and many other American beers to follow, really needs to be given due credit.

Appearance: This is the only area I'm disappointed. It pours a brilliant red (not quite pink), with a light pink head. However, as it's unfiltered, it gives it sort of a murky appearance that leads one to believe it's going to feel a bit thicker than it really does.

Smell: Well, kids, there's no denying it. This is a cherry beer. I don't drink fruit beers as a general rule, as most tend to try and add fruit flavor to a typically bland ale of some sort. This beer does no such thing. This beer revels in its cherryness. It exists solely for the cherries, not for the beer, and that's all you smell. No yeast, no malt, no beer. Just cherry.

Taste: Again, if you don't like cherries, you won't like this beer. Me, I like them. Sweet at the start, dry and tart at the finish. I've given this beer to many people who have said, "This isn't beer." And were it not for the strict definition of the process that makes a beer a beer, I might actually agree with them. But since this beer follows the rules, then by jinkies I'm going to call it a beer. And to hell with all y'all that disagree. I will also love every precious $10 bottle I can get my mitts on.

Mouthfeel: Again, the murk belies the lightness of tongue that this beer has. It is really a very delicate feel, almost like sparkling wine. It does have a definite malt presence, but doesn't have the tongue-sticky cloyingness that an American wheat beer like UFO or Widmer does. This sumbitch is incredibly refreshing on a hot summer day.

Drinkability: This all depends (as previously mentioned), on your tolerance for cherries. What makes this beer truly great, however, is that you can share it with almost anyone (yes, the boys got a wee nip and were suitably impressed) and they will generally enjoy it. That said, a little cherry can go a long way. My wife and I have done two of the 750 ml bottles of this at once, but that's about all I'd do.

4.87/5  rDev +12%

Thanks to kmpitz2 for sharing this bottle with us. What a beer. It pours a bright red color with a small ring of pink foam around the top. Leaves some lacing on the glass as well. Very strong aroma of cherries with just a tiny bit of sourness. Nice. The flavor was unreal. Lots of cherry flavor all over the place. Slight tart character, but very slight. Love the flavor of the cherries in this one. Spectacular flavor. Drinkability is wonderful as well. I MUST seek out more of this beer.

4.87/5  rDev +12%

The last of the reviews I'm gonna write up on the beers we had last night. I wouldn't trust my palate or memory to accurately recall anything more than the first couple we had. Fortunately the first couple were classics.

Deep blood red body with a foamy off-white head. Sticky lace. Full on kriek aroma - sour cherries, leather and a touch of cider. Sour cherry flavour with a great deal of funk, leather and sugar. A pound of cherries in each bottle and you can tell. In terms of its profile and intensity it reminded me a lot of ice cider. Full, decadent mouthfeel and slightly sticky. This would make a great dessert beer.

Its fascinating and special. I hope my wife can bring me some of this back from the midwest... it may well make up for her chickening out on the growler of masala mama.

Cheers Troy!

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

One of the best fruity beers, maybe second to serendipity (haven't had strawberry rhubarb yet). I don't really like fruity beers, but new glarus makes the best fruity beers out there. Very balanced, delicious, intense and enjoyed by everyone even people who don't like beers.

This one is strong cloudy red in appearance. Aroma of cinnamon, apples, cherries. Sweet upfront and lightly tart in finish. Wonderful in a hot summer day, for light breakfast or with muffin. Has a nice refreshing and palate cleansing carbonation.

Worth all the hype. New glarus are one of my favorite breweries and would highly recommend any beer lover to try at least some of their sours or fruity beers.

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

750ml bottle with red waxed neck, poured into a champagne flute. Pours out orange, with a reddish tinge to it, and sits a light reddish-orange in the glass with a small white head on top. Nice color display in the flute, light yellow-orange all the way up to a crimson red near the top.

Smells like a combination of marichino and tart cherries. All cherries, all the way. Light spiciness on the nose too. I think the Raspberry tart has a much better nose than this, but that is just my opinion.

Taste is tart, semi-sour and goes super sweet at the end. Delicious 100%. Blends of marichino-like sweetness and the classic Door County tartness of cherries gives this a unique taste and makes for one great fruit beer (even though Door County cherries are the only cherries used, it still tastes like a blend to me). A bit of wheat flavor comes out inbetween and finishes sweet, refreshing and not the least bit dry or bitter.

Smooth, rich and bold in the mouth, I'd call it a medium-light body. Goes down easy, probably too easy. Try and drink one alone and you'll feel sorry, and lonely. A top of the line fruit beer who definately deserves its reputation. Pair it with a nice chocolate dessert or another rich sweet, but I'd say having it with cherry pie would be going overboard.

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%

Sampled at Hellbilly’s Hellraiser courtesy of Hellbilly via Bockyhorsey!!! "I can not tell a lie," this was like George Washington placing his right hand on the trunk and left hand on the branches of a cherry tree...and ringing it out like a towel just above my glass. INCREDIBLE!!! Pours a soft red with small rose foam. Washington cherry blossoms and freshly baked pie tease the nose. The flavor combines buttery flaky crust, sweet ripened fruit, and cherry tartness. This beer is distinguished, legendary, and should be celebrated!!!

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%

Ohh my god that is the best smell in the world. Rich ripe, sweet cherries and cherry puree. It smells like the filling of an expensively made cherry pastry. It’s just fantastic smelling that’s all that can be said. Faded pink/light red in color with a thin white film of a head. Jeez this brewery makes increndible fruit beers. Fore is full of cherry, spritzy carbonation, mild acidic citric notes toward the finish. The middle has ever so slightly sour notes, some nuttiness and a smooth icing laden fried, flaky sweet dough flavor that carries into the finish. This really is a liquid Cherry Fritter and it is utterly amazing. This is the kind of beer that gets you excited all over again about what beer is and can be.

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%

750 ml wax-dipped green bottle poured into tulip.

A - Deep blood red in color, Wisconsin Belgian Red pours with a frothy dirty pink foam that subsides to loosely packed bubbles and a smattering of thin lace on the tulip.

S - Cherries, cherry skins, and more cherries! The aroma is of fresh fruit, not that cough syrup artificial BS you get in some cherry beers. While New Glarus' fruit beers are spontaneously fermented, many of them don't show the slightest hint of wild yeast. Wisconsin Belgian Red is the most forthcoming with it's wild profile, though; behind the cherries lies the distant aroma of a forgotten, dusty wooden barn and trails of horse blankets it once held.

T - Beautiful cherry flavor coats the tongue with true fruitiness from the pit to the skin's sharp tannins while the spontaneous fermentation trickles traces of dry wild yeast across the back of the tongue. Perfection!

M - Effervescent carbonation livens up the sweet cherry profile of Wisconsin Belgian Red before it's finish is punctuated with a nicely balancing level of tart, relaxed cherry skin acidity.

O - New Glarus' Wisconsin Belgian Red is not only one of the greatest cherry beers available anywhere, it's also one of the most quintessential fruit beers on the planet. Packed to the brim with fresh cherries, this beer smells and tastes sublime, finishing semisweet with a perfect level of tart cherry skin acidity!

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%

thanks to crossovert for the hookup

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter.

The beer pours a hazy reddish color with an off white head that has just a hint of pink. The head recedes quickly leaving behind no hint of lacing whatsoever.

The nose is all cherries all day long. Really just a breathtaking sour cherry aroma. What an amazing aroma; I could almost forget about drinking this beer and just sit a enjoy the aroma all evening. Outstanding. No malts, no hops, just cherries...

The flavor is big, just as big as the aroma. A big full flavored glass of cherries. Slightly tart, while still remaining sweet and enjoyable. Well carbonated, making the beer almost prickly on the tongue. Medium bodied, and easy to drink.

The website boasts "Over a pound of Door County cherries in every bottle", and I believe it. Just a terrific beer. Really teh best example of a fruit beer that I have ever tasted.

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%

Halcyondays raved about it. kbm told me it's crazy to not like it. That's a good enough record to justify a taste. On to the beer:

Spotty lacing is left around the glass from this orangish red colored beer. It kind of looks like punch. The aroma is beauty. Sometimes cherries in beer can be over the top and very acidic, but the cherries in this one are mellow yet very aromic. Sweet cherries and cherry skins, yeah.

Its taste is a beautiful and simple. Sweet succulent cherries crash into the palate wave after wave. It's never really tart, and never really acidic. In fact, it's almost like a cherry punch. With a flavor so rich and full of the fruit, the body seems medium full, which is amazing at 4% ABV. As a bonus, unlike the Raspberry Tart, the WBR is much too easy to drink.

Like the Raspberry Tart which I'm in love with, the Wisconsin Belgian Red is tops in its class. Any doubter of fruit beers should take a look at the offerings that New Glarus is producing, which are beautiful beverages to drink. The next mission will be securing a full bottle to myself.

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Deep reddish brown.

S: Cherries, honey, oak, cherries.

T: Cherries, oak, nectar, vermouth, cherries.

M: Slightly syrupy but not cloying.

O: Really good. An amazing fruit beer. Not something you drink often but definitely worth savoring when you do.

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my goblet....

A: Pours a murky red w/golden hues and a tiny red-tinged head, head dissipates quickly.

S: Rich, delicious, tart cherries, and some wheaty funk....

T: This beer tastes exactly like cherry pie. Rich, luscious cherry flavor w/nice tartness up front, finishes with a sweet candy flavor.

M: Average body

D: Outstanding. If this stuff was more readily available for me I could drink it all night long. This stuff is liquid desert. An absolute treat for beer geeks with a sweet tooth.

4.91/5  rDev +12.9%

750ml bottle poured into a wine tulip - fridge - probably 2009

Appearance: Pours a murky brown color with cherry red hues at the edges. A vigorous, but short-lived brown, red-tinted head builds and falls down just like soda would. A minimal lace ring stays behind.

Smell: Tons and tons of cherry aroma indicates the shear amount that they put in every batch. It's so strong, on the verge of medicinal, but is showing signs of sweetness and barrel aging (wood). Excellent, mouthwatering.

Taste: Super cherry intensity. The cherries are again on the border of medicinal, but they are curbed by the wheat malt flavor. It really tastes just like a sweet cherry picked off the tree, with an alcohol boost. Top notch.

Mouthfeel: Very effervescent and lively, compared to the raspberry tart. Sweet, tart, quenching and intense. Some lingering alcohol.

Drinkability: This beer is a superb dessert. I could have one every night if I could afford it and it was actually available in PA. I think this might be better than the raspberry tart.

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured a red-brown color with white head that had little lacing. Smell is of tart cherries. Taste is full of cherries, very tart, as it warms it even started to taste like a cherry cobbler with a bit of yeasty breadlike flavors coming through. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a medium carbonation. Beer was quite drinkable, and I can't wait to have more.

Edited from: 4.5, 4, 5, 4, 4

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer pours a murky, dark red color. It has a thin light tan head with a nice red tint to it. The head fades quickly, leaving a lot of lacing.

This beer has a sweet cherry aroma. It smells great. It has a slightly tart sour aroma also. It smells very sweet, but not overwhelmingly so.

This beer tastes just like it smells. Very sweet, with a great tart cherry flavor. Not much flavor other than tart, sweet cherries.

This beer leaves a tart cherry aftertaste. The carbonation is high, fitting the beer well.

This beer would probably make a good session beer. It is low in alcohol, and it tastes great.

Overall: Wow, thanks HimerMan for a great beer. I love it, and so does MrsOStrungT. I would always have a bottle of this if I had access to it. The only problem is that it might just be a bit too sweet.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company