Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 944 | Hads: 3,134
4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Bright, deep ruby. Small white-pink head. Sparkly bubbles that meander toward the surface.

S: Cherries. Cherries and more cherries. Amazingly tart but incredibly sweet aroma. Fresh picked ripe cherries and my Grandma's awesome warm cherry pie.

T: Reminds me of my favorite snack-- dried tart Montmorency cherries from Door County, WI. Same exact flavor as the actual thing. Sweet and light with awesome flavor. Can't say "Cherries" enough.

M: Smooth and velvety with mild carbonation. Not much else is noticeable past the incredible flavor of this beer.

D: Like juice. This is so appealing to me that I could drink it for breakfast. Just tart enough that the sweetness does not dominate at makes this the perfect fruit beer. (732 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Huge thanks to bennetj17 for the beer trade.
Poured from a 750ml bottle into a oversized wine glass.
Sampled bottle with fellow BA nisjer05.

Amazing beer!!!! Bright hazy, reddish color, very small white head. Lots of carbonation, very little lacing. Looks like some kind of fruit juice. Fantastic smell!!! Smells exactly like fresh cherry pie filling. Yummy!! I can't believe this is beer! Very sweet and tart, a true pleasure to drink. Light and slightly fizzy mouthfeel. My first offering from New Glarus, and the best fruit I've tried so far. Only available in Wisconsin, so do whatever it takes to get this beer. You will not be disappointed. (651 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Awesome in your face cherry smell right up front, poured into a champagne flute a reddish amber color, head dissipated almost immediately to just a ring of foam, taste is tart cherries up front with a sweet finish, this is one great beer that left me wanting more (263 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer poured a cloudy, dull pinkish red colour. The head was composed of fine bubbles and showed excellent retention, with plenty of foam remaining at the bottom of the glass. Streaky, spotty lacing throughout. The aroma was amazing! Very fresh sour cherries, earthy cherry pits and skins, with mild toffee/caramel in the background - kind of reminded me of a fresh baked cherry pie. The flavour was intense with sour cherries, an excellent combination of sweet and tart. There was also some cakey spiciness and brown sugar. Full bodied and palate coating with low carbonation. Refined texture. This beer is incredible. I was sure it was over-rated, but I was very happy to find out it wasn't at all. Easily the best fruit beer I've had. I'd love to get my hands on another bottle (or twelve).

Thanks for sharing this Viggo! (831 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a slightly cloudy amber/red with a rapidly vanishing foamy pinkish/white head. Not much lacing - steady carbonation rising up the glass while drinking. Smells pretty much just like a cherry Jolly Rancher. My mouth immediately starts to salivate. The flavor of this 'beer' is perfect. Liquified cherry Jolly Rancher. New Glarius really hits a home run with the balance between the cherry sweetness and sour cherry tartness. No aftertaste, and finishes real dry. Leaves you puckering for the next drink. I can't imagine this being improved at all. This is a very refreshing and crisp drink. A nice body that was much thicker than I expected.

This is the perfect fruit beer. Ranked #1 in the world for a reason. (716 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Holy shit did I love this beer. Got two of them in a trade and the best thing is that I have another.

A: Pours a nice reddish brown kind of color. Nice bubbles rising to the top. Can't wait to taste.

S: The definition of cherry. Ton of sweet cherry aroma. There is a malty biscutiy aroma in the background, but man this smells like I cracked open a jar of cherries.

T: 5* no doubt about it. Huge cherry flavor like I have tasted in no other brew. There is some cinnamon in there as well. God I love cherry pie but would trade the best one on earth for another bottle of this beer. There is some cinnamon in the background, and finishes with a bit of tartness.

M: Perfect. Medium to light bodied and refreshing. I shared this bottle with 3 others and to be honest I wish I had saved it all to myself.

D: The most drinkable beer ever. I would drink it until they scraped me off the floor. I may move to Wisconsin just to have a steady supply of this beer.

Overall: I have come across many beers that I love Westy 12 and KY Stout most notably. This one here is a whole different matter. It's pure sex in a bottle. I love this beer. The aroma, the flavor, the enjoyablity is off the scale. New Glarus, YOU RULE!!! (1,215 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Generously shared by Rutager.

A: 3/4" tan head that dissipated quickly over red liquid.

S: Cherries and candy sugar predominate.

T: Cherries, candy sugar and yeast flavours.

M: Medium viscosity and a medium level of fine carbonation.

O: Extremely drinkable. A beautiful treat of a beer. (291 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

thanks to nflmvp for this bottle;

A - as expected this ale pours a rich red color with a reddish tinted head, looks a shade like cranberry juice

S - wow, could smell the cherries immediately after the cap pop, before it was even off the bottle, and what an aroma! like fresh sweet cherries right off the tree, not that cherry cough syrup aroma either, real cherries, not even the sweetened but good pie filling cherries, real fresh cherries

T - HMOG! (thats Holy Mother Of God!) this is absolutely amazing, such rich great flavor, so silky smooth, such palatable carbonation, with a subtle hoppy background, simply incredible, fruit beer perfection!

M - silky smooth as i mentioned, a great mouthfeel, as smooth as soda but light years beyond

D - even a BMC drinker will enjoy this this is amazing

if this were weighted only as fruit beers, it would get a 5 across the board, but its not, but its still damn close, thanks again nflmvp and keep'em coming (j/k)

edit 1/23/07: well thanks to nflmvp, i got a few more bottles of this divine nectar, and it is even more amazing than i remember. if you do not live in the Wisconsin area, contact a BA from round there and trade for some of this. it is worth its weight in gold. try nflmvp, he always seems to be up for a trade. (1,278 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

A 750ml bottle I picked up during one of my many runs over to Wisconsin. This was a definatly great beer that I think my beer hating girlfriend actually enjoyed. It poured a ruby red juice like color into the glass. A very small developed but soon turned to film. The beer smells of cherries, naturally. But it is very sweet and tart even smells borderline oak. Tastes of huge cherry flavor with a nice balance of sweetness and tartness. There is nothing to complain about here. This is a very nice quality beer that should be enjoyed by all. (542 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

I love this beer, despite it being almost more of a cherry cider than a beer. This beer is all about the cherry, although the base beer must be solid to build the cherry goliath on top of. The cherry aroma, taste, sourness, and sweetness are all there, so intense it borders on medicinal but it is NOT, it's a natural/real cherry taste that is so enjoyable and refreshing. I could guzzle this stuff by the gallon and never tire of it, can't think of a negative except maybe there are more complex beers out there. I wish they made a sour variant of this, but they should never change this beer, it is exceptional on its own and for what it is; a cherry beer. (658 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

I love this beer! First you have to consider the elegant packaging... the green 750ml bottle, the red wax, even the label is classy. Then you pour... aroma is a blast of fresh pie cherries. And the color, a hazy beautiful dark pink-red complete with a light pink head which fades quickly. Taste is a refreshing, sweet-tart, complex sour, acetic, cherry flavor. Not for amateurs! My friend and girlfriend didn't really care for it and they gave me theirs. She said the tartness and carbonation reminded her of the inside of Zots candy. More for me! Just one drop of this beer is loaded with flavors. Medium body with a medium, brisk, carbonation accentuating the tartness. I look forward to trying it again at the GABF. (718 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

A : Pours a cherry reddish-brown color with an offwhite head that goes down pretty quickly

S : Fresh cherry sweetness and nothing else

T : Just like the smell, it is a nice cherry sweetness with a touch of tartness

M : Medium-bodied with good carbonation

D : Extremely drinkable. This is one that I could have any time and have no problem drinking. (352 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured into a tulip. Thanks to alcstradamus for this one.

4.0 A: Murky amber red color sort of how dried blood looks. Two fingers of frothy white head with average retention and some lacing.

5.0 S: Holy shit, the cherries. I just had the Raspberry Tart and this is pretty much the same aroma, but with cherries. Cherries, cherries, cherries! Nothing but cherries. The cherries block out everything else. I didn't give the Tart a 5 on the nose, because I appreciate complexity, but i can't not give this a 5 because it's so damn enticing.

5.0 T: Again, the cherries dominate the hell out of this beer, but it doesn't matter. It's so damn tasty. Cherries are mainly sweet, like maraschino cherries, but not in a fake way. There's a subtle tartness that balances the sweetness well. Like the Tart, there isn't any malt or hops to talk about, but I'm sure they do their part in the background.

5.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation is spritzy and dances on the tongue. Super smooth.

5.0 D: I need more of these fruit twins. This is the PERFECT dessert beer for both beer aficianados and BMC guzzlers alike. I'm both sad and disgusted that I only have one bottle left. (1,177 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +13.6%

Deep garnet pour with a light pinkish head that leaves very little lace. Head retains nicely for a fruit beer.

Aroma is pure, incredibly fresh, beautiful cherries. Fresh, plump, and sweet. My mouth is watering just writing this review. There are hints of other dark fruit and a hint of vanilla.

Flavor is like drowning in fresh cherries. So juicey and real, perfectly tart and sweet. Flavors of cherry pie and subtle almond. If fresh cherries only tasted this good. Perfect and impossible to put down the glass. I want to quit my job and drink this for a living.

Body is medium and slick with juice. Just the right amount of carbonation. I could drink gallons of this beautiful example of beer. (697 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

poured from 750ml bottle into a New Glarus flute glass.

A - Astounding ruby red beer. Heavy carbonation, but not much head retention. Super nice looking liquid!

S - Cherry pie, maraschino cherries, a bit of cinnamon and other spice. Extremely delectable aroma.

T - Goddamn!!! Cherry pulp, cherry pie, apple, cinnamon, spices. It tastes like diving right in to a cherry pie! This is a godly fruit beer. Up there with the likes of even Serendipity!

M - Typical New Glarus fruit beer. Very high carbonation, but ties the whole brew together and makes it pop on the palate.

O - Much like the rest of New Glarus' fruit beer lineup; I am blown away. This might be tied with the deliciousness that is Serendipity. I am a huge sucker for cherries, and this beer is no exception. I am so glad to have finally tried this! (816 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Luscious cranberry-like red hue. Unbelievable aroma. Great cranberry/vanilla sweet smell with quite a bit of cherry too. It's a sweet aroma, but not a malty sweet aroma. Fruity sweet. The taste is exceptional. Woody, vinous, dry and of course, loads of cherry. This is one of my all-time favorites and it never fails. Every time I have had this, it has been exceptional. A true classic. (395 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Wow. This was good. Poured from a champagne bottle; it has a garnet color with a small slightly pinkish head. The beer is light in carbonation although this meshes well with the sour and sweet tastes that are imparted from the cherries. Has a tremendous and complex cherry taste. This bottle was gone way too fast. (314 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

A: BR has an opaque ruby red color upon pouring with a hint of brown hue to it when held to the light. Little to no head when poured into a champagne flute (poured during a celebration immediately following Dom Perignon... hopefully that doesnt mess with my review... haha)

S: one word: CHERRIES. the strong smell of cherries blasts the olfactory senses, invoking thoughts of a Wisconsin summer on a lake.

T: an explosion of cherries tingles the tongue while emitting undertones of beer and wine with a champagne finish.

MF/D: an intensely fruity beer with the smoothest carbonation possible (considering how much it has). not a fruit beer kind of guy, but i could practically be content with a case of this for the night. (725 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

This is easily on my top 5 beers tried and I have had around 32 of the top 100. This is my 3rd bottle that I have drank and I'm finally starting to review the beers I drink.

Poured into a lindemans flute glass. Pours a nice looking bright red color with almost no head.

Smells of straight sweet and tart cherries. Smells amazing.

Taste just punches you in the face with how much cherry flavor is in here. So good with the sweetness and tartness balanced well.

Mouthfeel is great with a nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is very high with me though I have been told by friends that they could not drink alot if this because of the sweetness. But for me I could drink the whole 750ml bottle. I stocked up on this after my first taste. Awesome brew that everyone should seek out. Can see the ladies liken this one... (826 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

Mahogony/cherrywood color...bubbly lace...smells of cherries(surprise)..great aroma...heavy cherry taste with a hint of brown sugar..tart finish...if you want a fruit flavored beer this is it..a CLASSIC....nice carbonation keeps from tasting syrupy. (249 characters)

750 mL bottle, shared by kbm,

A: Pours a medium vermillion red, with a light fizzy off-white head, nice colour.

S: Baked cherry pie, that sums it up. A beautiful fragance.

T: A lot more cherry pie, cherries soaking in maple syrup is another way to describe it. Notes of graham cracker in the finish and sugar. A completely real cherry flavour. I'd describe the sugar level as off-sweet/demi sec for a wine term.

M: Soft carbonation, light-bodied. Very easy going on the palate and so drinkable.

D: This is the best fruit beer I've ever had. I could drink this forever if it wasn't so rare. New Glarus took the time and fermented real cherries and it shows in the taste, there's just no substitute for the real thing. With all the artificial flavour out there in the fruit beers today, you've got to look to New Glarus for the best. If I ever get to Wisconsin I'm buying a case of this stuff, and I've never bought a case of anything in my life. I've been wanting to try this forever, and it did not disappoint. Wow! (1,020 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

Bottle at the GABF. I feel so lucky to have tried this beer. Poured a dark red color, with a thick creamy reddish head. Smelled sweet of cherry, tart cherries not sweet ones. Tasted just like cherry pie, not overly sweet and sticky though, just the actual taste of cherry pie. Probably one of the best beers I've ever had, and it makes me sad everyday that Colorado can't get it. (379 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

64 oz. Half Acre Growler shared with friends - I enjoyed the lion's share from a Duvel tulip. This particular growler was a replacement for one that fell prey to a delivery exception, and the box in which it came provided me with enough packing material for untold future trades.

The carbonation of this five-day-old growler is absolutely phenomenal. An audible burst of air upon unscrewing the cap! This pours a gorgeous, deep dark ruby shade, with stunning clarity. A 1.5-finger cherry-tinted white head has very tight bubbles and fantastic retention. Moderate lacing as well.

I will never tire of smelling this beer. Pure, unadulterated cherries. The fruit is so crisp and pure. This seems sweeter than the bottled version, as if some subtle vanilla crept in.

That wonderful cherry tartness really comes through in the taste. One of the truly unique things about this beer is the "natural" taste of the fruit addition: in this case, the cherries impart a wonderful sourness in perfect balance with the sweetness present. This is such a light and wonderful beer, but the taste is really huge - cherries coat the palate with every sip.

The mouthfeel of this growler is actually unreal. The carbonation is flawless, the mouthfeel lush but just so spot on. I was so sad to see this growler go, but it was so worth it.

Better than the bottle? Very possible, though absence does make the heart grow fonder. I’m totally enamored of this beer, and actually can't fathom that there's a better representation of the style. Forever ISO this work of art. (1,555 characters)

This is a truely an amazing beer. It pours a dark color with red hints of the cherries contained within the beverage. The head was more than descent and lasted long enough to enjoy. The smell was an olfactory delight. Yum, the taste was absolutely amazing: first thoughts are of fresh homemade cherry pie. While rather pleasantly strong, the sweetness is nicely balanced by the hops. This is a beer to enjoy with friends after a nice meal. Enjoy! (446 characters)

Beautiful dark tan with a hint of red color, bursting with cherry aroma. Taste of tart cherries, balanced by the sweet malt. Better than a cherry wine. (151 characters)

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company