Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,033
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Bottle into champagne flute. Big thanks to STLWill for the chance to try this fantastic treat. Thanks, Will!

Pours red, a bit of brown comes through, lightly hazy, with a fizzy off-white head.

Nose starts and ends with gorgeous cherries, sweet and absolutely fresh. Like you squeezed the juice from a bushel of fresh black cherries - perfect balance of sweet and tart, no trace of artificial flavor at all.

Taste is exactly the same. Fantastic, vibrant cherry, perfectly balanced between sweet and tart. Acidity perfectly balances the flavor.

Mouthfeel is light, very crisply carbonated, a bit sticky. Beautiful.

This gets a bit much towards the end. The flavor is fine, but man you start to really feel the sugar. This and the Raspberry Tart are so close when it comes to preference it's almost ridiculous; the Tart may have a slight edge in taste, but not much. Both fantastic beers.

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: Bright, cloudy red with a hint of apricot mixed in, capped by a beige-pink layer of thick foam. Leaves some fairly heavy lace sheeting on the glass.

Aroma: Fresh, tart cherry pie aroma with a hint of apple.

Texture: Mouth-filling, creamy texture with moderately full body.

Flavor: Cherries, baby - tart, fresh cherries with a pie-like character and a hint of fresh apple cider. Real, all-natural fruit flavours. Ultra-refreshing. Hint of a drying, oaky note in the finish.

Overall Impression: Cherries! Dessert in a glass.

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

a: This was a slightly murky, apple cider brown with some cherry highlights. It poured with a smallish fizzy head that quickly faded.

s: A combination of sweet, sugary, candy cherries and tart cherries.

t: All cherry here as well. There is some sugary sweetness here, but overall the tartness prevails. Still, I wish this had been a bit more tart.

m: Thick and chewy with gently fizzy carbonation.

d: Thanks to imperialking for this one. Very good, but I prefer the Raspberry Tart.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a fairly clear reddish brown that's appears to be carbonated like a cola. A small white head clings to the side of the glass. Smells of world class cherries a not much else. First sip is tart full of cherries with a tad of oak and vanilla note present but lacking in malt. Very lightly carbonated. Super sweet - closer to wine than beer.

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Cracked this open for dessert on Easter Sunday...

Cloudy ruby color with a small head that lingers for a long time. Smell is dominated by tart and sweet cherries, with a little bit of malt in the background. Taste: cherries, delicious cherries. The perfect balance of tart, sour, and sweet. Whatever beer flavor is in here is very subtle; think of Wisconsin Belgian Red as more of a fruit wine than a lambic. So while the beer-lover in me might wonder what the hype is about, my tastebuds will not deny how fantastically delicious this is. High sugar content makes for a slightly syrupy mouthfeel, though high carbonation keeps it from being unpleasant. Sweetness limits drinkability, but yummy cherry flavors beckon me for another glass.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

drank on 4.11.09 with the wifey while hanging out at my neighbor's house. mega thanks to the kindness and generosity of natasharai for sending this to me (and my wife).

I am a big fan of fruit beers, lambics etc. so I was pumped to have the opportunity to try this one. It pours a beautiful reddish copper color - a very inviting look to this beer. It produced a tantilizing off white reddish head. The head didn't stick around very long and also produced little to no lacing - but otherwise, it was a great looking beer. The smell was absolutely what you would expect it to be - cherry. A great cherry smell without being over the top. if i sniffed hard enough, I can get a super subtle malt smell in the background. it has a crisp and sparkling smell to it.

the taste is simply wonderful. it is crisp and delicious. As you would expect from the smell, the cherry aroma translates through in the taste as well. It is a very bing cherry taste (not sure what kind of cherries they use). The cherry taste goes away pretty quick leaving a small amount of sour 'pucker' in your mouth but not in a bad way. Mouthfeel is light on the body but a good amount of sparkly carbonation, as you drink more of it - the sour left behind is a tad much (but not enough to make me not like drinking this baby).

what a great brew! and my non-beer drinking wife thoroughly enjoyed it as well (in addition to my wine drinking only neighbors).

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks again to LJArsenal, my Wisconsin pipeline, for this trade. I have to say that I wasn't expecting great things from a fruit beer, but god damn this is hitting the spot right now.

A - Bottle is sealed with red wax. Pours a deep red and brown with a beautiful 1/2 inch pinkish off-white head. Lacing goes all around the glass.

S - Lambic sourness with cherries prevalent in the background.

T - Syrupy cough medicine from childhood. Cherry and malt with other dark ripe fruit.

M - Thick and syrupy, mild carbonation tingle at the end. Coats the tongue similar to tannic wines.

D - A beer I'd want to drink around Christmas instead of those shitty macro Christmas beers.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Poured this from the 750 ml bottle into a New Glarus Brewing flute. Although only a small volume was poured into the glass there was a nice off white head that faded to a lace within a couple of minutes. The body is clear, rich, and red.

S - Cherries hit your nose right off the bat. The smell is enough alone to get your mouth watering.

T - Lots of carbonation in this one along with the obvious cherries and other sweet notes. Outstanding balance.

M - The cherries hit your mouth first with a nice medium body transition to a carbonated but smooth finish.

D - This is a very enjoyable beer for special occasions or holidays and one that can be used to supplement or replace wine. The cost alone makes it a beer I couldn't have frequently, but when the moment is right I certainly wouldn't pass it up. I could put a bottle of this down rather easily.

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Presentation: 750ml green bottle, capped and waxed, with a nice old-school label

Appearance: Beautiful light garnet beer; there is extremely fine Champagne-like carbonation, and a thin white ring of a head

Smell: Tart, and extremely natural cherries and cherry pie notes; this is highly aromatic

Taste: Cherry. Pie. In a glass. It's all here; tart cherries, sweet filling, buttery crust, etc.

Mouthfeel: Light/medium bodied and tart

Drinkability: Scary high

Conclusion: Perfect. Dessert. Beer.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

A big thanks to Scoobydank for this one!

L: Pours a cherry red color from the bottle with a tall and thick white with pink tint colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet malts and sweet cherries.
T: Big cherry flavor that isn't artificial tasting, it tastes like sweet cherries on top of a nice malt base.
M: Very smooth, refreshing, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable beer, I wish this was available in CT all the time. Really not what I expected and I was blown away.

3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

Not really a fan of fruit beer or cherries but this one still tasted good to me, so if you are a fan of either you will probably be in love with this beer. The only knock I have on it is the drinkability because, like I said, I haven't gotten into the style yet.

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

One pound of cherries per bottle? I'm there!

Poured from wax sealed bottle into New Belgium goblet. Pours a clear medium ruby red with about 1/2" foamy pinkish head that settles to a bubble film with some sticky lacing. Aroma is very strong sugary sweet but very tart cherries. Cherry is the only thing I can smell in this beer, but that's ok because I love cherries. The aroma literally makes my mouth water. Taste is intensely rich, sweet and tart cherries. I love it. It's like liquid cherry pie. Medium bodied, high carbonation, feels a little sticky sweet. The sweetness limits the drinkablility just a tad, it's a little cloying, but this beer is so delicious, I can't put the glass down. Couldn't drink this beer very often, but it makes a great treat once and a while.

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

A= pours a thick dark red color very dark red with a tiny pinkish head rising from it and no lacing. Pretty much what I expected.
S= Cherries all around. Somehow it also keeps the beer character to it as well though. Pretty good odor from it.
T= Cherry Pie!!! Wow tastes just like cherry pie so much that I'm actually starting to believe I can taste the crust in it. Toward the end there is a very very slight Belgian beer character which is prolly why I think I can taste crust.
M= Great carbonation and Sweet medium body
D= Amazing. I would expect nothing less. This beer actually tastes like cherry pie and is a delicious dessert beer. Great brew.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to a good friend in Wisconsin for shipping me some of this! I have the Raspberry Tart up next.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter style glass.

A: Beer pours an absolutely gorgeous red color that is clear, effervescent, but has little to no head or lacing.

S: Smells like cherries and nothing else. Reminds me of a cherry pie from the smell, slightly tart and slightly sweet.

T: I can't imagine a fruit beer tasting any better than this. It's straight cherry pie filling that is refreshing and so good. Goes down really easy, but I like to sip it because the tartness coats my mouth with each sip and I want more.

M: A little undercarbonated maybe, but aside from that I have no complaints. This one is great.

D: I don't think I could drink more than 2 8oz glasses of this due to its tartness, but man does it taste good.

This may be the best fruit beer on the planet. I know I haven't had a better one yet, but it is very delicious and ANYONE beer drinker or not should seek this one out if they get a chance. This could convert some non-beer drinkers to start.

3.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Have had this a couple of times out of the bottle and finally thought I would get around to reviewing. Pours a very bright, deep red. Smell is of cherries, cherries and more cherries. The taste is of a wonderful, fresh cherry. It has some tartness, the sweetness is a little overpowering. However, it is abundantly clear that this is not an artificial cherry flavoring but the real deal.

If I would have one compliant about this beer, is that it is too sweet to drink more than a glass of. I tried to sit down and drink a bottle by myself and couldn't finish it. Plan to drink this with friends (especially non-beer lovers, who may be converted with this sweet nectar).

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

It poured a hazy red. It had a slightly pink one finger head. No carbonation activity could be seen.

It smelled like a delicious like malt and cherries.

It had a perfect balance of cherry punch, malt texture and mild oak flavor. It had a wonderful medium body that went down easy and finished with a nice fruit tart.

This is an amazingly drinkable beer. I have had it more times than I can count. Every time that I have this beer I am amazed by how good it is.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appears a ruby red color with a two inch pink head. It falls down to a skim eventually and leaves some moderate lacing.

Aroma is basically straight up cherries. Like the Raspberry Tart, it's kind of a mix between sweet and tart, both trying to dominate but in the end they just blend to a wonderful cherry bomb.

Taste is quite sweet up front, of course exploding with cherry flavor. It gets more tart right at the beginning of the swallow and stays that way into the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied, with perfect carbonation that lends to a nice and creamy yet refreshing drink. Highly drinkable.

Yet another excellent brew from New Glarus. I like the Raspberry Tart better personally, but this is crafted just as well. Seek this one out if you are a fan of kriek.

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Bottle pours a slightly hazed, ruby body with a small pinkish head. Minimal wispy lacing.

Aroma is freshly crushed, ripe cherries with a hint of caramel.

Light medium body with low medium carbonation. Clean and smooth.

Taste is freshly crushed cherries, tart and sweet. A hint of caramel and a kiss of yeastiness. Nothing cloying or artificial. Amazing how the essence of fresh ripe cherries is so seamlessly integrated into the body of this beer. A hint of oak creeps into the finish.

Not at all complex, just an exquisitely crafted fruit beer that has exceptional drinkability. Fans of cherries and/or fruit beers should seek this one out. Thanks to dancinwillie for the opportunity to savor this Wisconsin treasure.

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle aquired through Thomashardy, split with Birradr14.

A- Wisconsin Belgian Red is ruby red with some brighter spots here and there. A very clean looking beer with some bubbles upon pouring but no head.

S- This fruit beer is a blessing with a ton of cherries in the nose literally. At times this has scents of a cherry jolly rancher.

T- I had this twice in one week and the 1st was way to sweet like sucking on a cherry jolly rancher. That was present in this bottle also but to a lesser degree. A nice sweet fruit beer with just a touch of sour twang, ever so slight. This is cherry juice.

M- A step up from the lighter side of brews with some carbonation felt on the mouth. Very sweet and a bit much at times so sippin is prefered. It's like i'm sippin on some szzurp.

D- This 5% beer would fill my fridge if I lived near NG. This is great on it's own or paired with some dessert or with other beer's. You really can't go wrong with it. Probably would be a great hit with the ladies as well.

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a beautiful crystal clear ruby red color, topped by very little head. The head dissipates rather quickly leaving a minute amount of lacing down the inside of my pint glass. What little head there was showed as a bright bubbly white with a pinkish hue.

S - Smells like fresh tart cherries. Not a real effervescent brew...but does smell tasty.

T - Tastes like I took a hunk of my Grandmas homemade cherry pie and took a big old bite out of it. Fresh cherry taste...quite yummy. Some might find the lack of complexity a little one dimensional, but I think that's what makes this brew work.

M & D - Finishes dry and crisp, leaving little aftertaste. Can't taste the alcohol at all in it. I think this is a highly sessionable brew, if you've got deep pockets. Some people don't like the sweet brews like this, but I think I could drink this one all day long.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from 750 ml bottle into dimpled pub mug

A: Dark Ruby Red, crystal clear. Poured a small head, but that went away quick. No lacing, some active carbonation. I really looks like cherry pop

S: Smells like cherry pop too. If this is anything like the Apple Ale...I will be happy. Very Cherry sweet. Some maltyness, but not really.

T: Smooth cherry taste, a little like cough syrup though. Very similar to fruit wine, but with a beer....ness to it. Nothing too complex in the profile though

M: Much smoother than I thought based on the pop look and smell. Heavy, too.

D: Great, if you can over the cough syrup.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Popped this one open with friends at the end of a great dinner party. I had been wanting this beer for a while, and after finally obtaining one, get the right opportunity to enjoy it.

I was not disappointed!

Pours a deep, ruby mahogany red. Head appears but goes away quickly. Beautiful color. Smell is not surprisingly of cherries. Big, dark, perfectly ripe cherries. Only knock is the lack of other aromas, but this beer is what it is, and it does it well. Taste, again, cherries. Not complex in the sense that other beers are, but just fantastic. Not at all syrupy or overly sweet, just intense cherry flavor. What can I say - I absolutely loved it. Would not want this every day, or even every week, but this beer at the right time and place is simply amazing.

4.38/5  rDev 0%

Cheers to justn for the opportunity on this one.

Pours a deep Marion color with pink head that turns into a crown.

Smell at first was really bad vinegar but as it warmed a little it became much more plesant cherries.

Taste is tart cherry with a dry Belgian finish. Very tasty and sweet.

Mouth is thin to medium bodied with high carbonation.

This is probably the first beer I could drink with a meal. Incredibly tasty and I will seek this out any chance I get.

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a bubbly cherry red. Really looks like lightly diluted cherry juice with carbonation. Bubbly head is gone quickly.

Smell is like ripe red cherries. Very fresh, crisp and fruity! There is a little maltiness as well.

Cherry explosion! I'm not kidding, it's like someone just squeezed the juice out of some fresh cherries into my glass. There is a nice sweet, crisp cherry taste. This would be outstanding in the summer. Nice malt flavor to back it up.

Nice tart mouthfeel makes the tongue pucker a bit. Pretty heavily carbonated.

This is very drinkable. Some may get sick of the cherry flavor after a while, but I could drink a bottle or two myself on a nice warm day.

Overall, very crisp, fresh and fruity. As stated before, this would be perfect on a summer day outdoors. Plus, my wife, who is not a big beer fan enjoys it alot too. Plus one for me!

4.25/5  rDev -3%

A - Color is red with deep hints of brown. Or is it brown with deep hints of red? Head is almost white (maybe a light pink hue) and tops out at around half inch. Not much retention to speak of. Nice rings of lace remain behind in the glass.

S - Ripe cherries hit the nose first. Hints of malt come through at the tail end. Smells a little like caramel malt. More cherry aromas finish it up. Did I mention the ripe juicy cherries?

T - Loads of cherry flavors attack the palate immediately. It is very close to a maraschino cherry flavor. Hints of malt are barely noticed at the end - caramel and brown sugar. There is no doubt about what this beer is trying to be.

M - Medium bodied with a nice level of carbonation that helps to make this brew smooth and slightly creamy. Finish is tart and only sticks around for a few minutes.

D - Drinkability is good. This is a one-dimensional brew but the Wisconsin Belgian Red really does the cherry profile very well. The cherry flavors come through as fresh and in no way artificial. The alcohol stays completely out of the way which also helps this category out. Very nice brew from New Glarus that is easily recommended.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company