Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,014
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

750ml wax wrapped bottle. Thanks to BA Deuane for sharing!

A - Clear cherry red body with short, bubbly white head and fairly lively carbonation.

S - Big bowl of cherries! Extremely sweet and tart cherry nose with some syrupy sweetness.

T - No surprise here... lots and lots of cherry flavor. Fantastic balance of sweet and tart flavors. Very nice!

M - Nice prickly texture on the tongue from the lively carbonation. Finishes sweet with a tart sourness on the tastebuds.

D - One of the best fruit beers I've ever had. Perfect balance of fruity sweetness and tart sourness.

ffejherb, Jan 27, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -22.4%

A friend of mine brought this back from Wisconsin to drink while watching the GB game.
Pours a thick ruby color, hazey, some floaters. Off white/red head, minimal strength, some staying power.
Aroma hits at first as a cherry bomb-cough syrup, but it has a nice biscuit hint mixed in there. Semi sweet. Not as strong as the Lindeman's Kriek, a bit more complex.
Taste was cherry filled, sweet, sticky. Phenols make the cherries feel fake and syrupy. A thick feel to it with a small bite in the back to soften the syrup feel. A good brew, but not very drinkable to me.

Mebuzzard, Jan 21, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a 1 pint 9 oz bottle, which I purchased at Market Place Grocery Store in Hayward, WI. Turbid, murky pink color. Minimal head that rapidly receded with scattered lacing.

Not suprisingly this smells of cherries as the bottle reads "over a pound of Door County cherries in each bottle". Not of artificial cherries, but rather the cherry streusel I used to get on Sundays at a local German bakery. No hops, no alcohol, no malt - pretty much only cherries.

Taste is very sweet with a tart sour aftertaste. Thick syrupy mouthfeel, similar to grenadine or maybe the syrup from marichino cherries. Sweetness limits drinkability.

Very unique beer and a lot of fun to try, but not something I would regularly drink. I can barely identify this as a beer. Similar to a lambic possibly. I think it would be great as an after meal drink similar to a dessert wine.

elmore, Jan 15, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

This beer was poured from a 1 pint 9 fluid ounce bottle into an Imperial pint glass. The beer was cherry ruby red with a nice 1 finger plus pink head which quickly dissipated. There was no lacing as in the Raspberry Tart but there was a lot of carbonation also.

The first scent was of chocolate covered cherries, then maraschino cherry and finished off with a cough syrup smell.

The taste was quite carbonated with the slightly tart cherries present.

I did not notice the amount of prickly sensations as in the Tart as this was smoother. This proved to be something to mull over but not obsessively.

This is also more of a refreshing drink you could have all year round. There is more noticeable lacing as I consume the beer. I do not think I would want to consume a lot of this at a time as the taste could become tiring after a while but for now it is enjoyable. Tasted better with food later on.

SMark, Jan 13, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a very big wax sealed mag, to a pint glass, the liquid is dark red like a burgundy wine with nice carbonation. The head is small with tiny bubbles, no lace either.

The smell is awesome best cherry beer ever.

The taste is enormous, wow what a great tasting brew, lots of semi sweet tart cherries, I'll just close my eyes and I'm back in Door County.

The mouthfeel is realy big and meaty, the carbonaton might not be most beer like but this is a special brew to be sure.

The drinkability very good really a great brew.

Prosit, und Zum Wohl. MK

MuenchenerKindl, Jan 13, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -13.2%

Deep and cloudy red-orange color with a beige head that is tinted red.
Smells of . . . well, cherries. Not fake in the least, but fresh, slightly sweet and lightly tart cherries.
Tastes pretty much like it smells. Straight up cherries. Cherry pie sweetness along with very fresh, tart cherries, and that's about it.
The Mouthfeel is nice and full, but leaves some sugar coating on the teeth.
This is an interesting offering. If you like cherries it is probably pretty tasty. I don't have a strong opinion of them either way so this creation (it isn't really beer-like) just seems interesting to me. I will say that it does have a very real cherry flavor to it that is far from artificial, or medicine-like. It's well done, just not for me.

Slynger, Jan 13, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

S - 750 picked up at DLD '07, from notes

A - Pours a pale ruby red, head is decently prominent and pink, I want to jump in.

S - Cherry, sweetness, vanilla, bready, reminds me of a cherry danish. wow.

T - cherry, vanilla, sweet yet tart, alomst like a sweet bread pudding in some senses, again wow.

M - perfect carbonation to fullness balance.

D - downright delectable.

rsyberg01, Jan 12, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks brdc for sending me fresh bottles.

This beer is close to absolute perfection.

The coloring is a festive red with a wimpy pink head. The flavor and aroma is of course cherry. Fresh cherries and not "cherry" flavor or artificial.
An ever so slight tartness begs you take another sip. A little fizz adds to the fun of drinking this. Thick and creamy.

This isn't overly sweet so drinkability is pretty high. Really an occasion beer. One of the best fruit beers I've had.
I hope to always keep this one on hand.

Outstanding beer experience.

LittleBreeze, Jan 10, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to dhchatfield for sending me this in a trade last year. Shared on New Year's Eve with my wife. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a Lindemans tulip. Beer was a hazy, ruby color with a medium sized, frothy, off-white head. Left lots of lacing around the glass.

Aroma was sour cherry, apple and was also mildly earthy.

Taste was cherries. Not overly sweet, which makes this pretty easy drinking. Slightly bitter finish.

This is a superb beer. It's nice to be able to enjoy a full bottle at home, rather than the 2oz. samples I've gotten in the past at the GABF. My only complaint is that they don't distribute outside of Wisconsin.

drumrboy22, Jan 07, 2008
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

I just revisited this beer after dinner tonight and, WOW!

I pretty much echo the rest of the reviews... cherries galore. It looks like you just opened up a maraschino cherry jar and strained the juice. Of course, it tastes like farm fresh cherries in all it's syrupy goodness.

It's much less sweet to my palate than the raspberry tart, and therefore more drinkable. It's like a fine cherry wine that quenches any thirst. This could be a fabulous drink in the summer!

This brew is well worth the effort to acquire. I still this the size is too much for one person, but I had my sister helping me out with this one. Thanks New Glarus for a lambic to remember!

rudylaw, Jan 07, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

L: An amber red through out. Light fizzy head that dsiapates quickly.
S: Very sharp trat cherries fill my nose immediatly followed by a nice sweet candy.
T: Cherries covered in vanilla at first. Sours apples follow which turns it in to a sweet and than sour.
M:Big fizz makes it feel nice and round
D: Awesome!!! Certainly a great fruit beer.

Scoobydank, Jan 04, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +13%

Wow. This was good. Poured from a champagne bottle; it has a garnet color with a small slightly pinkish head. The beer is light in carbonation although this meshes well with the sour and sweet tastes that are imparted from the cherries. Has a tremendous and complex cherry taste. This bottle was gone way too fast.

Atricapilla, Jan 04, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -11%

Pours a light pink to reddish color with a small white head. In the aroma small sour cherries. In the taste, cherry, very cherry with a small sourness lingering behind. A smooth medium body mouthfeel and a dry cherry aftertaste. Cherries feel a bit medicinal, kind of like cough drops. A small tartness, and big in cherry.

OWSLEY069, Jan 03, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

No bubbles and hardly any no head. But the color is just a dark, cherry red. Reminds me of fruit punch and wine mixed together. The aroma is almost a buttery cherry aroma. Very unique, and still pretty funky. The taste is a medium tart cherry juice. A little odd creaminess somewhere upfront, but very quickly fades. Strong, funky cherry flavors hit the mddle hard along with a slow lasting sweetness.

scruffwhor, Jan 02, 2008
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Dark, slightly cloudy ruby colored brew with a slight bit of head that last for a good bit of the glass.

Smell: Cherries. Sweet and tart cherries with maybe a hint of oak in the background.

Taste: Cherries again. You get a sweet cherry flavor at the front, which becomes slightly tart and sour. There is a bit of the oak from the nose at the end of the sip that mingles with a tart, spicy cherry aftertaste. There is a nice warmth as you go.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy. Good carbonation as well that makes the beer feel very nice while you are sipping.

Drinkability: Very high. This is a tasty, smooth beer with a nice complex fruit flavor. Not a beer that you would drink several of but a good sweet beer to enjoy after a meal.

hellcatsjg, Dec 30, 2007

Pours a cloudy dark red into with little or not head. The smell is crisp and has a tart cherry smell to it. The taste is great. You can taste the fruit but it is not too overpowering. A nice carbonation in the mouth gives it a clean and fruity taste.

I enjoyed this beer but I could probably only do one of these every now and then. Any more than one in a sitting would kill my tastebuds.

mymrnngjckt, Dec 28, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two tulip glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to Bernie for the hook-up!

A: Pours an opaque, black cherry red. Small, bubbly, pinkish-colored head that leaves a bit of lace.

S: Big aromas of black cherry and sweet fruit.

T: Wonderful spicy black cherry. I also noticed a hint of yeast or wheat lurking in the background.

M: Creamy and prickly, too.

D: So easy to drink. What an incredible beer!

GbVDave, Dec 23, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

Reviewed from notes
A - Pours a darkish red with a pink head.

S - Cherries, Cherries, Cherries and oh more Cherries

T - Amazing, here are those cherries again. Sweet with a decent tartness.

M - Light bodied and refreshing

D - Drinks well for a fruit beer. Not cloying.

Best fruit beer I have had so far. I look forward to trying the Raspberry Tart and hopefully the Apple Ale (2008 release?)

Monsone, Dec 21, 2007
4.95/5  rDev +13%

Deep garnet pour with a light pinkish head that leaves very little lace. Head retains nicely for a fruit beer.

Aroma is pure, incredibly fresh, beautiful cherries. Fresh, plump, and sweet. My mouth is watering just writing this review. There are hints of other dark fruit and a hint of vanilla.

Flavor is like drowning in fresh cherries. So juicey and real, perfectly tart and sweet. Flavors of cherry pie and subtle almond. If fresh cherries only tasted this good. Perfect and impossible to put down the glass. I want to quit my job and drink this for a living.

Body is medium and slick with juice. Just the right amount of carbonation. I could drink gallons of this beautiful example of beer.

AlexJ, Dec 19, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

I got this bottle in a great trade with joe1510. Thanks a bunch, Joe!!

This isn't my first sample of this brew. I bought a bottle of it and the Raspberry Tart years ago before I started reviewing and have had samples of both every time I've been to the GABF. Boy am I thrilled to have it again!

Pours from capped and mimimally waxed 750ml bottle a cloudy red with a nice solid, be it small, head of foam with some good lacing.

The smell is of cherrries, cherries, and...more cherries!~ A +lb of cherries in every bottle will do that for you. ;^)

The taste...is of wonderful, semi sweet and sweet cherry. In the background, I can just get some wheat, more pronounced when I swish the beer in my mouth, and a slight woody flavour. Boy, is this a joy to sip on and yeah, it's very low in the abv department but when you get a brew of this caliber, sipping is the *only* way to go. The mouthfeel is almost chewy, nah, I'm going to say that it *is* chewy and the carbonation is very lively.. just the right level for me to make my drinking experience stellar. There's also a small hop presence there to add just a touch of bitterness; not too much, mind you, as the cherry flavour is what Belgian Red is all about.

I just poured some more into my glass and I have a huge smile on my face. Wow. Is this ever a satisfying beer.

Bottom line: This is a world class brew that hits my palate on all cylinders. Like I said before I got this in a trade and it certainly won't be the last time I trade for it. Thank again, Joe!!

Bitterbill, Dec 15, 2007
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a rusty looking murky red with a nice pink head that takes its time. Smells mildly tark, the cherries come out to play along with some sweetness. Taste is mostly the sweet cherries, mildly tart with a smooth finish. Medium in the mouth, flat on the finish and a sipping fruit beer too enjoy.

franksnbeans, Dec 15, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

I've had this beer a million times before but never taken the time to rate it.

Deep red body with a small white head. The body is very opaque. The aroma is outstanding. Sour cherries blast out of the glass. The flavor on this beer is crazy good. Good sour cherry flavor with a bit of carbonation which seems to make the flavor pop. Ends on a pretty sweet note. The body is a bit heavy for the flavor but it's pretty light overall. This is a great beer. If I ever get married, I'll use this in place of champagne for the toast.

drseamus, Dec 09, 2007
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Pours from the bottle into an imperial pint glass looking like cranberry juice with head. The body is a dark red with a pinkish tan head that rises quickly but disappears rapidly leaving some lace on the side of the glass.

S: Sour cherries are noticeable before the glass reaches my nose. There is an extremely strong cherry aroma with a hint of sweetness like a jolly rancher or a sweet tart.

T: The aroma carries well into the taste as the sour dark cherry hits the palate first and then gives way to the sweetness which tastes more like a jolly rancher than sweet tart.

M: This is one very heavy, syrup like beer that has a noticeable carbonation that leads to the crisp dry tart finish. It certainly carries some weight in the mouth as it is consumed.

D: This was an excellent after Thanksgiving Dinner treat. This is a beer with real good balance of sweet and sour, perhaps too sweet to drink the whole 750ml bottle at one time, but a great beer to share with friends. After the first few sip I had to break out some dark chocolate just to see….chocolate covered cherries! Every trip to Wisconsin will require at least one or two of these beauties coming back with me.

mgobrew, Nov 26, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

750 ml bottle acquired from scoobydank in a trade, thanks for giving me the chance to try this great beer

This one kicked off my incredible night of beer drinking, shared this with my girlfriend, she loves sours and was a huge fan of the Raspberry Tart, so I decided to pop this open while we watched a movie and I am glad I did

Poured into my Duvel tulip glass with a deep red color that was a little on the pink side when help up to the light and a light tan head that mellowed quickly, left lots of lacing the entire time

Smell was full of cherries and sour aromas, strong smells of sweetness

Taste was fantastic, best sour I have had up there with Funky Barrel, smooth start with super sweet cherries that fades into a nice and subtle sourness, not overpowering like most others I have had, just a great fruity taste overall, could taste the small amount of hops that were thrown into balance the abundance of fruit, gave it a nice bitter side at one point, lots and lots of cherries in this one but they are nicely distributed, this fruit beer blew my mind

Only bad thing about this is the large amounts of carbonation, could be too much at times but still a nice body and mouthfeel

Could drink this all day if it was not so sweet, but other than that it is only five percent alcohol and does not fill you up at all, goes down really easy

Second beer from New Glarus and another winner, best fruit beer/wild ale I have ever had next to Supplication, highly recommended, wish I had more of this stuff, get some as soon as possible

This is definitely a beer that deserves to be towards the top of the list on the Best of BA

Floydster, Nov 25, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a reddish brown color with a creamy, and frothy brown head on top that remains for quite a while with plenty of lacing along the side. Smell is strong on cherry, and a cider type smell fills the nostrils. Taste is ridiculously sweet, with some sour tart notes finishing. Mouthfeeling is filled with carbonation making this seem like a cherry Italian soda /cherry cough syrup/cherry wine cooler. I have not usually liked the tart, wild ales in the past, this one finally works for me. Maybe I'm not a huge fan, or maybe I am finally used to this hybrid type style.

genog, Nov 24, 2007