Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

Wants: 1,120
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 944 | Hads: 3,132
4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours muddy brown in color with hints of red and orange. Very murky and opaque. Mmm, smells like a freshly baked cherry pie. Damn, I can almost smell the crust too. Sweet cherry jam and lemon/green apple tartness aromas in there too. Taste is like a sweet cherry-apple cider with a tart finish. Effervescent-tingling on the tongue, carbonated like a sparkling wine. High points for uniqueness and although I couldn't drink many of these back to back for the fruitiness, this beer is quite the experience and and an incredible fruit beer. (537 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

1pt 9 fl oz, red wax shrouded bottle.

Hazy red color with a light pink sticky head.
Brewed with Montmorency cherries..and my best guess is that they use a helluva lot of them..the aroma is ridiculous..fresh sour cherry. The bittersweet cherry flavor is overwhelming at first, but it really settles in with each sip. The flavors also smooth out quite a bit as it warms, yet it's still pretty tart even at room temp. Medium-bodied & slightly dry..the drinkability is insane despite the boldness of flavor. I finished the entire bottle much quicker than I anticipated.
I'm not big on fruit beers generally, but this one is the pick of the litter as far as I'm concerned, and certainly worth tracking down.

Thanks again go to badbeer for the bottle. (753 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a large wine glass. Opaque crimson color with white head.

Smell is of sweet cherry pie. I know it sounds weird to be so specific, but that's what it is: cherry pie filling. Delicious.

Flavor is similar to the aroma, cherry pie. However, it's a little more complex, with hints of malt on the front of the palate. The overall effect is of slightly tart cherries, with a hint of breadiness.

Mouthfeel is pretty carbonated, but not harsh. In fact, it's prerry smooth.

Though I couldn't drink a lot of this on one sitting, it's so delicious I wanted to gulp it down, lest it should disappear before I could finish it. A tremendously tasty treat. (685 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +3.2%

Aroma: Deep cherry pit with hints of vanilla. All in all, it smells like cherry pie filling, this is going to be good!

Appearance: Murky blood red topped with a few fingers of very light grey/white head that retreat to a thin collar without lacing

Flavor: Terribly rich! Deep crust cherry pie filling is spot on! No hops noted, but they must be there to keep the sweet cherry taste from going cloy.

Mouthfeel: Medium heavy body and low carbonation.

Overall Impression: Burp! Wow that’s good. My wife loved it as well. Great beer, great drinking. Big props to Goldorak who graciously brought this one out from his cellar. Strongly recommended! Wish it was available in Texas. (687 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Pours a murky reddish brown with a nice sized head that subsides to a bubbly layer of foam. Good lacing.

S: Nothing exciting here, just cherries.

T: Sweet cherry and vanilla flavors followed with a bit of tartness in the finish. Tastes like cherry candy.

M: Less carobnated than most fruit beers or lambics. This is a good thing, I think. Slightly puckering on the first sip, but the sourness smooths out.

D: Not an everyday beer, of course, but very good. The cherry flavor isn't obnoxious like in some fruit beers, but rather you get just the right amount of flavor. Highly recommended. (603 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Wow. Pured a hazy reddish color with a slightly pink head.

Smells like cherry pie filling with sugary icing.

Taste is awesome cherries, cherries, and more cherries. Sweet at first with a great tart finish. I definately detect something underneath that reminds me of iced pie crust. At least I think so. Maybe Im just imagining it, but its definately something. Effervescent carbonation but not to the point of being overdone. This is one incredible beer, and something Im glad I seeked out. A must try for anyone who wants to try a unique and expertly crafted beer. Dessert in a bottle.

Due to the sweetness, Im glad my girlfriend was willing to drink the other half -- a whole 750ml may be too much at one time. (715 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Huge thanks to bennetj17 for the beer trade.
Poured from a 750ml bottle into a oversized wine glass.
Sampled bottle with fellow BA nisjer05.

Amazing beer!!!! Bright hazy, reddish color, very small white head. Lots of carbonation, very little lacing. Looks like some kind of fruit juice. Fantastic smell!!! Smells exactly like fresh cherry pie filling. Yummy!! I can't believe this is beer! Very sweet and tart, a true pleasure to drink. Light and slightly fizzy mouthfeel. My first offering from New Glarus, and the best fruit I've tried so far. Only available in Wisconsin, so do whatever it takes to get this beer. You will not be disappointed. (651 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%

Reddish-brown in color. I take a whiff.... WOW... cherry! Smells like delicious, fresh-baked cherry pie, big time! Oh, and the flavor? Stunningly delicious-- tastes like the most wonderful homemade cherry pie filling with the slightest hint of spice. Can cherry beer (or any fruit beer for that matter) possibly taste any better than this?? Oh I surely would bet not! This beer is so smooth and lusciously drinkable... simply remarkable. (437 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

Cheers to Sprinkle for this awesome brew. Pours a murky brown shade of red, with nice lacing. Smells of sweet and slightly tart cherries. Cranberries too, though I know they were not an ingredient in the beer.

Initial the taste is sweet cherry, this soon gives way to sour cherry, delicious, and more complex than I can adequately describe. Malt is there, but completely blends in with the cherries. Mouthfeel is smooth and lively, the bubbles are tiny. I believe this qualifies as a session beer under BA guidelines, if only I had another one or ten or so, I'd drink them all now. (585 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle
Pours like Champagne into flute. Murky red liquid topped by a quickly disappearing thick rose head. No lacing. Cherry aroma (duh) not too overpowering. Glad to see this. So often the aroma in fruit beers is too much. Taste was fruity with yeasty finish. Moves between sweet and sour while on the tongue. Cherry Pie in a bottle. (341 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Kool-aid red. Nice to look at, great for a cherry beer. White head with light champagne fizz.

Smells like Wild Cherry. Not wild cherries, as in, cherries found in nature. I mean Wild Cherry as in a Wyler's fruit drink or a Jolly Rancher. This is such a cherry-ish cherry that it seems almost synthetic. Actually, it smells most like the cherry Icees. These smells are all wonderful, and while they're not beery, they're just too good for me to give the scent anything less than a 5.

Tastes nearly as sweet as it smells. More like a natural cherry taste upfront. Like cherry cider--you can taste the peels. Moves in to a lambic-y yeast and ends on a mix of dry malt and slightly sour cherries. Very tasty.

A grand and glorious fruit beer. (746 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -51.3%

Notes cannot describe my complete disgust with this beer. I’ve tasted it several times and I am still flabbergasted that people actualy enjoy it. I can't stand the sweetness and I don’t want to taste pie crust in a fruit beer. I do love the raspberry tart though, but that is very balanced and succulent. (306 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +0.5%

Color is a very unique reddish-orange. It's cloudy making it look like a slightly watered down tomato juice. No head, carbonation looks subtle. The nose is amazingly sweet. It doesn't even smell like beer, just fresh, ripe cherries, or cherry pie. I can stick my nose in the snifter and breathe in all day.

The taste is sweet and cider-like at first, then becoming more sour as a tart cherry flavor lingers. Alcohol is low, but there is definitely a strong acidity that you can feel as this beer makes its way to the stomach. I have to note that the taste improves nicely over time, it softens up and becomes sweeter. The mouthfeel is light, with tiny carbonation.

I wasn't sure about the drinkablility at first, but nearing the end of the glass I was surely ready for another. Excellent... (798 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%

Ohh my god that is the best smell in the world. Rich ripe, sweet cherries and cherry puree. It smells like the filling of an expensively made cherry pastry. It’s just fantastic smelling that’s all that can be said. Faded pink/light red in color with a thin white film of a head. Jeez this brewery makes increndible fruit beers. Fore is full of cherry, spritzy carbonation, mild acidic citric notes toward the finish. The middle has ever so slightly sour notes, some nuttiness and a smooth icing laden fried, flaky sweet dough flavor that carries into the finish. This really is a liquid Cherry Fritter and it is utterly amazing. This is the kind of beer that gets you excited all over again about what beer is and can be. (723 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%

Eagerly anticipated. Pours rust in color with little head. A thin ring of carbonated foam remains after a few minutes. Aroma is of cherry juice and dark red cherries. Sweetness and a slight sour aroma. First sip reveals a slightly acidic and not as sweet as I anticipated. Not as tart as a kriek. Cherry flavor remains on tongue for half a minute after sipping. Not thick and syrupy, light on the tongue. Easily drinkable. Thanks to shippos for trade. This was worth getting. (475 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours hazy rusty red with an inch of white foam.

Sweet cherry pie in the nose. Acidic plum and apple notes.

Starts with a thick, sweet cherry. Perfectly balanced tart end. Leaves a delicious sweet cherry aftertaste.

Incredibly full wheat body. Almost chewy. Very refreshing, I could literally drink quarts of this. (323 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer poured a dark glowing red with a few light purple highlights. It was very clear with little bubbles clinging to the inside of my glass. The head was thin, off white and pink that left a thin and delicate lace. Smells initially of sweet cherry pie filling that, for an instant, is rather disappointing. Fortunately, the smell is then backed up with a musky sourness that adds a terrific amount of life and wholesomeness. Along with this fantastic cherry, there seems to be a musky lambic-like yeast. Tastes of powerfully tangy wild cherries. This is not just cherry sweetness, but the flavor clearly reflects actual cherry skin! This, combined with (what I’m guessing to be ) the musky wild yeast creates a smooth and tangy cherry experience that is absolutely amazing. This is quite an accomplishment for the people at New Glarus. (thank you!) The mouth feel had a light soft body with a medium tingly carbonation that’s a wonderful compliment to the tangy aspects of the flavor. I think that the mouth feel plays a crucial role in the delivery of the flavor, earning a high rating form me.

Delicious! Absolutely delicious! This is so easy to drink and just dripping with quality and care. There’s a quality here that makes me wish there was a NA version of this available to have with breakfast every morning. I think I’ll never be able to tolerate fake cherry flavors ever again. This is hands down a fantastic beer! The only shortcoming on its drinkability is the sweetness. It’s necessary for the flavor, but I wouldn’t want to split more than one bottle at any one sitting. (1,598 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured a red-brown color with white head that had little lacing. Smell is of tart cherries. Taste is full of cherries, very tart, as it warms it even started to taste like a cherry cobbler with a bit of yeasty breadlike flavors coming through. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a medium carbonation. Beer was quite drinkable, and I can't wait to have more.

Edited from: 4.5, 4, 5, 4, 4 (387 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is my official 200th review, so I thought I would pull something special out of the cellar. I have been looking forward to this one, so what better time?

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish brown color what had about a half inch head of off-white bubbles at first pour. The head didn't stick around all that long to end up a small layer on top of the beer. There is some light lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: Rich and tart cherry aroma's dominate the profile as the beer is really cold. As it warms a bit, there is a bready yeast aroma coming out.

Taste: The flavor is very cherry pie like. In fact you can even pick out some bready flavors that taste like the crust. Amazing! There is also an underlying earthy malt (I guess) that is a subtle, but notable, part of the flavor. The finish is a bit syrupy and sweet. As the beer warms a bit, the flavor is moving a bit more toward the tart side...which is nice.

Opinion: Even though the fruit beers aren't my favorite, this beer goes down really smooth. It is a bit on the sweet side for my taste, but I prefer the fruit Lambics...especially Cantillon. I have had this bottle for about a year now, so I thought that the sourness would increase with age. I am pretty satisfied that isn't the case, so I will have to try a fresher example next time. (1,328 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10.8%

750ml capped and waxed green bottle received as a Christmas gift along with some other pricey beers from my Parents.

Pours a murky brownish-red, completely opaque and delicious looking. As soon as the wax is cut and the bottle opened, the room is filled with luscious cherry. A closer whiff and I'm blown away by the intensity of fresh fruit - cranberry, some apple, but obviously cherry takes center stage. The flavor somehow eclipses the nose in sheer gravity. Fresh, mouth-puckering cherry and cranberry puree with some subtle hints of vanilla and oak. Mouthfeel is rich and velvety. Indulgent. Lightly carbonated. Reminded me of a fresh Door County cherry cider with a tart alcoholic bite. The sour and sweetness of the fruit balance each other nicely and make for an easy-drinking desert beer that I could see myself downing a couple bottles of in the course of an evening. It was hard to share it with my lovely girlfriend, but it's the Holiday Season. A truly magnificent fruit beer from New Glarus, how lucky to have them in my backyard. (1,048 characters)

4.35/5  rDev 0%

Appearance -- Poured from bottle into Duvel tulip glass. Very thick, dark, reddish-pink in color; very reminiscent of grapefruit juice. Thin head that disappeared quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell -- Sweet fruit: apples, pears, cherries. It really reminds me of how a nice holiday fruit punch smells. Perhaps some spices as well. Very interesting.

Taste -- Tart cherries. Very pleasant and very fruity. This one in no way tastes artificial. This is the real deal. Quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel -- Thicker feel. Pretty clean overall. The carbonation reminds me of champagne.

Drinkability -- Outstanding drinkability. This is a really impressive beer. It's so different than what I'd expect in a beer. Very good find. This would taste fantastic outside on a crisp autumn day. I plan on seeking this one out again. (818 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

I was lucky enough to get a bottle of this and a bottle of the Raspberry Tart from a relative living near Wisconsin. This is the 3rd Christmas in a row I have received some of this and could not be happier. Shared this bottle with the family on Christmas day and it was a big hit.

The Belgian Red pours a very nice bright red color with a nice pink head that disapated rather quickly. The fresh cherry smell is evident once you pour. There is some nice champagne bubbling and noise going on which I like. The smell in the Belgian Red appears to be more natural than some of the more popular lambics that are out there. I really enjoy this one.

What a nice tart cherry taste with this. I could not get enough of this taste and the aftertaste that lingers in the mouth. The best part of this particular experience was giving 3 or 4 relatives the chance of trying this beer that they had never had before but now love. Too bad we are too far from Wisconsin to get this often. Thank god I have about 5 bottles of this and the Raspberry cellared away. (1,052 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%

750ml bottle. I really liked this beer, from the red wax on the op to the very last drop. This one pours a definite reddish color. There was some haziness to the beer. It pours with a big head that drops to nothing almost immediately. There was some champagne-like fizzy carbonation that continued throughout. The nose is somewhat like a cherry pie, just not as sweet. It was sweet, sour and tart all at the same time. The taste was really nice. Cherries were the main component. They were somewhat tart, with some sweetness at the same time. Something of a medium malt body hiding back there. Very nice! (604 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: A warm, sumptuous burgundy-fuschia rouge. No head to speak of, but what an interesting color.

Smell: Tart, crisp, and irresistably appetizing, but rather one-dimensional. I smell cherries and that's about it.

Taste: When my brother first told me about this beer, he said it tastes just like cherry pie, and man, he wasn't kidding. Sweet, tart, very natural-tasting cherries, a touch of cinnamon spice, and some doughy notes, most likely from the wheat and roasted malts. Such a festive ale! I don't usually like sweet beers, but this is just plain delicious. Not artificial or syrupy in the least. Finish is clean and sour.

Mouthfeel: Sparkly and light, matches the tartness perfectly.

Drinkability: Since it is so sweet, I don't think I could handle more than a few glasses of this... but what a pleasure to savor slowly after dinner. I will definitely buy more when I return to Wisconsin for the holidays. (931 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I came across a couple of bottles of this on a Sunday trip into the land of modernity [Wisconsin (at least in relation to alcohol sales)]. My brother had tried it a while back and liked it so I decided to give it a try.

Last night a friend who is a fan of the New Glarus Spotted Cow came over to break into a bottle since it was new to both of us.

Wow!

Appearance was outstanding - a deep opaque red with a nice little head of white.

Smell was heavily laden with cherries, but natural sweetness, not syrupy sweetness.

The taste was outstanding - I think it lived up to it's bill of a "perfect marriage of wine and beer." It was a very cherry taste - almost like a cherry juice.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, not too thin, not too thick.

Drinkability was great - we intended to share a bottle, then move on to something else, but finished both of the bottles I had and could have emptied another if It had been there. (939 characters)

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company