Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,031
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Presentation: An 750ml Bottle with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: Pours a Dark almost red wine red. Fizzy head that disappears almost instantly.

Smell: A very cherry smell to it with a hint of vanilla.

Taste: A rich sweet taste of cherries that take over on this beer. A little hopy taste that turns out to balance real well.

Mouth-Feel: a medium bodied brew with a lot of carbonation.

Drink-Ability: I really enjoyed this brew but I could not drink a lot of it.

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

nflmvp brought me this one. Big thanks.

A - Hazy muted red with a white head that fades quickly. Looks sort of like carbonated juice.

S - Sweet, tart cherries dominate the smell.

T - Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb! Yeah. I went there. Very sweet cherry flavor. Tastes like a carbonated version of French Lick Winery's Montmorency Cherry. Very good. Slight malt in the finish.

M - I love the way it coats your mouth and sticks with you. The carbonation really adds to the whole experience.

D - Goes down really smooth. No alcohol detected at all. But that's not really a surprise.

2.95/5  rDev -32.6%

I had this beer to celebrate my brother moving into his new house and I was anticipating this to be the greatest beer ever. When i saw the beer It wasnt the most impressive beer i have ever seen, but i felt that when you make a cherry beer it would look like this, in that aspect the brewer had gotten exactley what they wanted. The smell was wonderful. When you are making a cherry beer you should smell Cherrys and nothing but. That is exactly what i smelled. The taste hit me as medicinal. I dont like to ever speak bad of beers but i could not shake the fact that it tasted like cough medicine. The mouthfeel was an exception to the taste. The beer seemed to be perfectly carbonated and didnt give me any reason to review it as bad. The drinkability of this beer was not good FOR ME. I emphasize for me because I know that there are people that could drink this like crazy but i am more of a beer guy and never drink wine. I feel bad to ever give out a bad review but to me this beer was like a fine painting that would never look good in my house but I can thoroughly appreciate the effort and time put into it.

3.8/5  rDev -13.2%

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The liquid pours a creamy red with a quick-dying head. The smell was of sweet cherries and the taste was exactly the same. I expected this and enjoyed it for what it was, even though it bordered on coy for me. Personally, I would have *preferred* a beer I could see through, lighter body and a bit cleaner on the finish. But the effervescent tingle in my mouth after each sip was wonderful.

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

4.25/5  rDev -3%

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

750mL bottle shared with nicoco poured in to Weyerbacher Tulips. Bottle sent by richkrull. Thanks dude!

A: A hazy deep red with about 1/4" of cream colored head. Head settles rather quickly to leave a ring around the outside of the pour. Light lacing.

S: Cherry tootsie pops! Smells like any cherry flavored candy with faint hints of chocolate. Pretty one dimensional.

T: CHERRY! Cherry? Yeah...maybe a little cherry. Did I say cherry? Also, a little bit of chocolate, but damn...mostly sweet cherries!

M: Very light carbonation, light bodied, yet sticky.

O: Well, if they were trying to make a beer taste like candied cherries, I'd say they nailed it. If you were expecting any tartness to the flavor, you're going to be disappointed. Remember, this is a fruit beer, not a wild ale or a lambic. That said, this is excellent.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: Pours a red/pink color with a film of a white head. Just looks like a fruit beer.

Smell: Smells of straight up sweet cherries and tartness. So inviting.

Taste - Taste mirrors the nose. Not too sweet. Not too syrupy. Just perfect.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel.

Overall: One of the best fruit beers I've ever had. Just right. If I traded, this, Raspberry Tart and Serendipity would be on my permanent ISO list. I could drink this every day.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company