Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wants: 1,015
New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros

Jhiser, Dec 11, 2011

Zenk, Apr 05, 2012

Jrh66182, Oct 06, 2014
3.13/5  rDev -28.5%

I suppose fruit beers and lambics just aren't my thing, but I could not help but try this belgian red at the New Glarus Brewery.

Appearance: About as close to red as beer can get, you can see the carbonation bubbles flying towards the top

Smell: Cherries, a whole pound of cherries! You can smell it from a mile away

Taste: Incredibly sour, obviously I know this is a matter of palate, but I just could not handle it.

Mouthfeel: Champagne dry, almost needed a glass of water afterward.

Drinkability: You're not exactly going to drink this down fast, to be served in small doses. Definetely a beer for non-beer people, and the big fruit beer fan's holy grail, just not for me

jdoherty, Oct 15, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from the waxed 750 mL bottle into a champagne flute.

The beer poured an opaque, rusty brown with a thin, tan-colored head. The head faded very quickly, and left a bit of sticky lacing on the glass. Not a very pretty beer.

The smell was cherries. To be blatantly honest, the smell reminded me of cough syrup, and I had a hard time getting around that.

It was hard to find the carbonation in the mouthfeel, but it didn't feel watery, either. Very light-bodied.

The taste was sweet cherries, like fresh cherry pie filling. There was some tartness to the finish, but the sweet, almost sugary flavor dominated. It was pretty tasty stuff, just very sweet.

This is a beer that I tend to buy more as a novelty than an everyday brew. I pick these up all the time as gifts, or to share, but very rarely get one for myself. I'm not a huge cherry fan, but I do enjoy several glasses of this every time I have it.

I've found it pairs well with good, dark chocolate.

DeeMented, Aug 17, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours pink/red and slightly hazy. Fizzy champagne bubbles. Aroma is amazing. No harsh chemically or plastic aroma. Spicy cherry aroma. Warm inviting cherry flavor, alcohol, spice, aged wood. Dry, warm finish. Lingering tart cherries. Just enough background malt ot make it a beer. #2 New Glaurus fruit beer, just behind the Raspberry Tart.

arkurzynski, Feb 21, 2010

HapWifeHapLife, Nov 14, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -14.4%

HappySunny, Apr 01, 2013
4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to zizzybalubba for this one. Pops good with a bit of bubbles. Smell is cherry candy and all cherry. There is no doubt this is a cherry beer. Thick and full of flavor and pretty sweet. Tates like a kids drink or something like that. Very different beer, but for a fruit beer, this is awesome. I drank the bottle and was wore out doing so. I think the first glass was great, but at 4% I thought I would be able to do this on my own. The last glass was starting to get to me, but the first glass was wonderful.

calir1, Dec 22, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Amber red bod reminiscent of a zinfandel with a white head containing a pinkish hue.

A: Quite inviting and reminds me of canned cherry pie filling. This is going to be sweet and tart.

T: Sweetness hits immediately with a pleasant tartness on the follow-through. Reminds me of a Shirley Temple I had as a kid.

M: Medium body; nice carbonation, almost like a slightly flat cherry 7-up.

D: I was expecting to be overwhelmed with an overly sweet cherry bomb explosion in my mouth. But after a few sips, I found myself quite pleased. It's a nice change of pace from the beer world I've grown accustomed to. I think I may explore a few other fruity/sour beers in the future. Thanks to my girlfriend for sharing her bottle.

Mooch273, Oct 25, 2010

ZackH, Mar 27, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

thefizzo, Feb 24, 2012

Served into my New Glarus tasting glass during the tour.

Pours a light red with minimal head.

Smells like a ton of cherries. Lots and lots of cherries.

Taste is very good. Nothing but cherries in my mind. Hard to believe this is actually beer. Almost like kool-aid.

Thicker beer than I had imagined this would be. Carbonation was perfect.

Wouldn't drink more than a few oz's at a time. Too sweet to be considered a session-able beer to me.

oreo, Jan 09, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

This is not a normal beer so this is really a difficult review to write...

a: pours a bright red with nice carbonation and good but quickly retreating head. No need to pour this too aggressively. lighter body so lace isn't too sticky. very unique bright color make this a joy to admire.

s: it smells like cherries, perhaps mixed with some cherry-flavored jolly ranchers, cherry-flavored sweet tarts, and a hint of Belgian ale.

t: almost like drinking sparkling fruit juice, extremely sweet and a little tart. no significant taste of hops or even really much taste of "beer" for that matter. this is a truly unique experience... they say right on the bottle that they've applied for a patent on this and you can see why that is. it's almost a whole new genre of beverage.

m: nice Belgian crispness. very bubbly and refreshing. could drink this while laying on the beach.

o: most fruit beers have a tinge of fruit in the beer; but this fruit beer has a tinge of beer in the fruit. it tastes incredibly fresh and just has a "realness" to it. it feels like it was assembled and came together naturally--not just "flavored" with something new and different like so many other "unique" beers. A lot of great beers can't really be appreciated by people that aren't beer connoisseurs but this sweet, crisp, low-ABV, refreshing beverage could be enjoyed by anyone.

GoldenVIKE, May 21, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -3%

bsyoung, Apr 20, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

This is by far the best fruit beer I have tried. Pours red...cherry aroma...high carbonation. The sweetness and carbonation give a great mouthfeel and I love the sour tart finish of the Door County cherries. I can't image getting any more cherry taste in this beer. Good with chocolate too.

ethosx19, Jan 03, 2003

galapas, Mar 25, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a great reddish color with a nice fizz and head. Smells like a cherry soda, it's amazing how much cherry aroma this beer has. Taste is all cherry, tart with a sweet mouthfeel. The smell and taste just never give up.

An amazing beer, i just can't understand how they get so much cherry flavor in the beer. But personally it's too sweet for me.

fbinla, Aug 05, 2009

4.25/5  rDev -3%

MarcusHalberstram, Nov 07, 2013

tvoss99, Jun 09, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Tasted with bross242 and dannosparks.

Appearance - Pours a hazy red color. Does not produce too much head, and the little bit that there is dissapates quickly.

Smell - Wow, this is pleasure to smell. Cherry, cherry, and more cherry. It reminds me of smelling my grandma's cherry pie. Outstanding.

Taste - A bunch of cherry yet again. I am not much for fruit beers, but this is just fantastic. Can I say grandma's cherry pie once again.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability - This is an outstanding beer. The cherry is just fantastic. One of the best beers I have had in awhile. I would highly recommend trading for it!!

mjgardner, May 30, 2007
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Muddy, reddish body with a whispy white head. The aroma is lots of cherries, some sour notes as well. The flavor is moderately sweet, a touch sour, cheeries, vanilla, caramel and a hint of lemons. When the beer is allowed to warm up, a hint of chocolate begins to comes through. Champange mouthfeel, light and lively. Very tasty, but a good one to split with a friend.

artusory, May 06, 2006