Join our email list →

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States | website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer | 4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 969 | Hads: 3,301
4.81/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750ml bottle into a teku glass. 2013 vintage

Pours a crisp, dark ruby red with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates. The smell is of tart Door county cherries...very big aroma. The taste is just absolutely incredible. It starts out with a sharp tartness that quickly dissipates and turns into a sweet cherry juice flavor and then ends with this lingering dryness that leaves the taste in your mouth for awhile. im blown away at this beer. medium bodied, medium carbonation.

overall the best fruit beer in the world.

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into tulip. Poured a pretty red color with an inch of pinkish-tan head that had very good retention and lacing.

The aroma is strongly cherry and not much else. On the tongue the cherry flavor is backed up by a bit of a grain taste.The body was very effervescent and crisp, sweet without being sticky. Drinkability will depend on how you like sweet and fruity brews, I loved it and would lots more if it were available to me.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

750ml bottle obtained via trade with somebody, or maybe a BIF. Thanks for the opportunity... Capped and sealed in red wax.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed 1/4" pinky white head over the almost opaque cloudy red brew. Head is swiftly down to a film with bubbles around the rim, with average lasting lace. Aroma is sweet candied cherries. Taste is sweet, sour, and tart, cherries. All about the cherries here. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, and drinkability is pretty good, although sweetness slows the drinking pace.

(4/4.5/4.5/4.5/4 reviewed 12/17/07)
750ml bottle obtained via trade with BeerTruth. Thanks for the opportunity... Capped and sealed in red wax.

Poured into a heavy glass chalice, formed 1/4" pinkish head over the cloudy bright red brew. Head is quickly down to a swirly film, with fleeting sheeting lace. Aroma is sweet cherries. Taste is creamy sweet, yet tart, cherries. Mouthfeel is very smooth, and drinkability is good, although possibly cloying when drinking a bottle alone.

(4.5/5/5/5/5 reviewed 1/19/05)
750ml bottle obtained via trade with Skidz. Thanks for the opportunity... Capped and sealed in red wax.

Poured into Rapscallion glass, formed 1" of creamy light pink head over the murky deeply red brew. Head lasts, a novelty for many fruit beers I've seen, and lacing was good. Aroma is deeply of cherries, but the real thing, not those sickly sweet maraschinos or anything, with corners rounded with some malt presence. Taste is starts off with somewhat sweet cherries, smooths with some light malt input, and then the curtain rises on the sour, with none of the preceding overdone. Mouthfeel and drinkability are excellent, just as I had hoped for. Look forward to revisiting this one again sometime, for sure.

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Cellared for one year.

A: Brownish-red with a slightly pink head; very little retention; slight leg.

S: Tart cherries, jube-jube candy fruitiness, brown sugar.

T: Light tartness, sour cherries, pleasant fruity esters, woody, slightly bready with a hint of brown sugar.

M: Well-attenuated, moderate body has a slight acidity and a dry finish.

D: Very drinkable.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

I got this bottle in a great trade with joe1510. Thanks a bunch, Joe!!

This isn't my first sample of this brew. I bought a bottle of it and the Raspberry Tart years ago before I started reviewing and have had samples of both every time I've been to the GABF. Boy am I thrilled to have it again!

Pours from capped and mimimally waxed 750ml bottle a cloudy red with a nice solid, be it small, head of foam with some good lacing.

The smell is of cherrries, cherries, and...more cherries!~ A +lb of cherries in every bottle will do that for you. ;^)

The taste...is of wonderful, semi sweet and sweet cherry. In the background, I can just get some wheat, more pronounced when I swish the beer in my mouth, and a slight woody flavour. Boy, is this a joy to sip on and yeah, it's very low in the abv department but when you get a brew of this caliber, sipping is the *only* way to go. The mouthfeel is almost chewy, nah, I'm going to say that it *is* chewy and the carbonation is very lively.. just the right level for me to make my drinking experience stellar. There's also a small hop presence there to add just a touch of bitterness; not too much, mind you, as the cherry flavour is what Belgian Red is all about.

I just poured some more into my glass and I have a huge smile on my face. Wow. Is this ever a satisfying beer.

Bottom line: This is a world class brew that hits my palate on all cylinders. Like I said before I got this in a trade and it certainly won't be the last time I trade for it. Thank again, Joe!!

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

750ml bottle. Pours a deep dark cherry red color with a light pinkish colored head. The deliciously enticing aroma is filled with cherries, not the typical artificial cherry flavoring in most fruit beers, but a really fresh cherry aroma. The taste is sweet but not overly sweet, with a good dose of cherries. Wow, this is a really great beer that I enjoyed quite a bit. Definitely not overly sweet and artificial like your typical fruit beer. Would make for an awesome dessert beer. Highly recommended.

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer poured a cloudy, dull pinkish red colour. The head was composed of fine bubbles and showed excellent retention, with plenty of foam remaining at the bottom of the glass. Streaky, spotty lacing throughout. The aroma was amazing! Very fresh sour cherries, earthy cherry pits and skins, with mild toffee/caramel in the background - kind of reminded me of a fresh baked cherry pie. The flavour was intense with sour cherries, an excellent combination of sweet and tart. There was also some cakey spiciness and brown sugar. Full bodied and palate coating with low carbonation. Refined texture. This beer is incredible. I was sure it was over-rated, but I was very happy to find out it wasn't at all. Easily the best fruit beer I've had. I'd love to get my hands on another bottle (or twelve).

Thanks for sharing this Viggo!

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours a lively pinkish red under a 1” off-white foam collar with a very fine bead.
S: Very cherry nose
T: Perfectly balanced cherry pie in a glass. The hops are very faint in the background. There is a touch of oak but not overstated.
F: Very creamy elegant body, very fine soft full effervescence.
O: A world champion beer.

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received this in a trade and poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice crystal clear ruby red with a good two finger light tan head that slumps to leave a nice creamy thick blanket and good side lacing.

S - Nice and sweet, like cooked cherries. Smells like sweet, lightly spiced cherry pie filling.

T - Oh yah, definitely cherry pie filling. Nice nutmeg/cinnamon flavours and even a little bit of crust/dough. This is cool. Delicious.

M - Mouthfeel is good, nice carbonation, not heavy or syrupy. Perhaps a slight bit too sweet, but this isnt cloy.

O - Overall this is a delicious fruit beer. Very very cherry without being cloy. I love this.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Medium cherry amber color, 1" head that slowly drops away, strips of lace. Like the best krieks, starts with straw and malt, followed by real tart/sweet cherry taste to burst in quickly and smoothly. This continues blissfully through the finish. Surprising taste for 4%, and somehow delivers the fruit without cloying. Highly recommended.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

Thanks to oakbluff in Winterpeg for hooking me up with this. Sampled with some fellow BA's, DrJay, biegaman, and grub.

Pours a very murky red/brown, thick off white head forms, settles down to a think layer and ring, nice lacing on the glass. Smell is amazing, rich real cherries, very earthy, toffee, brown sugar, nice sourness from the cherries, quite amazing. Taste is cherry cake, toffee, nice sour cherries through the middle, spices, some ginger, more cherries and brown sugar. Mouthfeel is full bodied, very thick, silky smooth low carbonation. Fucking amazing beer, just insane, I can't wait to try again! Thanks Scott, I owe you for this one!

4.54/5  rDev +4.1%

A pint sized bottle poured into a stemmed glass. No bottled date. Many thanks to BeerFMAndy for the trade!

(A)- Pours a dark red maroon with ruby red highlights with an off-white to pink head that quickly disspated.

(S)- Sweet yet tart cherries that smell so creamy, that it smells just like a cherry pie with whipped cream! Biscuity/ sugary pie crust; amazing!

(T)- Mountains of sweet yet tart cherries that pretty much is equivalent to how it smells. New Glarus has officially bottled and liquified cherry pie into beer form! Delicious.

(M)- Ample carbonation level that borders on fizzy, but it fits the beer perfectly. Sweet, yet near puckered levels. Fantastically balanced and complex.

(D)- I could drink this all day if I could. A great dessert or apertif beer that would even please and surprise those non-beer drinkers that you know!

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Luscious cranberry-like red hue. Unbelievable aroma. Great cranberry/vanilla sweet smell with quite a bit of cherry too. It's a sweet aroma, but not a malty sweet aroma. Fruity sweet. The taste is exceptional. Woody, vinous, dry and of course, loads of cherry. This is one of my all-time favorites and it never fails. Every time I have had this, it has been exceptional. A true classic.

4.09/5  rDev -6.2%

No bubbles and hardly any no head. But the color is just a dark, cherry red. Reminds me of fruit punch and wine mixed together. The aroma is almost a buttery cherry aroma. Very unique, and still pretty funky. The taste is a medium tart cherry juice. A little odd creaminess somewhere upfront, but very quickly fades. Strong, funky cherry flavors hit the mddle hard along with a slow lasting sweetness.

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

25.4oz bottle split between two snifters.

A - Pours a deep burgundy, red-amber with a tan-pink head.

S - Cherry chapstick. I feel like I am in the 4th grade again.

T - Cherry goodness? I really can't explain it.

D - Good carbonation, a touch oily in the mouth.

O - Strong cherry, but not overly sweet. Surprised how much I liked this one.

4.62/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cool dark red, cherry appearance to it, thin head. Aroma is massively cherry, like you just opened a can of cherry pie filling. Bottle says a fuggin pound of cherries in every bottle! Every bottle! Damn!

Taste is exquisite, cherry, slight oak finish to it, sweetness takes the high road, counterbalanced by the wood and a slight tartness that is miniscule in comparison to the hearty cherry mouthfeel. Malt base keeps it from becoming overly sweet, good carbonation keeps it from feeling syrupy.

This is pretty much the holy grail of fruit beers in America, maybe the world. Blows away any other beer w/ cherry in it, here, the cherry is so dominate, don't even think of trying this beer unless you really like cherry. Not for hophead only guy. You can't understand the cherry dominance in this (but again, the nuances of everything else make it work even better) until you try it. Next time I'm in Wisconsin, I'm getting like 10 of these. Hopefully the fruit don't fade. Fresh is definitely very good here.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Beautiful garnet clarity, indicative of the fruit from which it was made. Reminds me of red wine, perhaps a red zin. Smells of tart cherry, with a bit of candy sweetness. Not at all reminiscent of flavoring. It's the real deal. Flavor is as good as you could expect from a cherry beer. Tartness wins in the end, but there's a great sweetness.

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

A delicious example of what New Glarus fruit brews offer.

In the front, Luden's cough drops and Starburst cherry flavors. A touch of tart quality with lots of red candy cherry fruit flavor. A touch of malt in the middle and a tart quality that dries out the beer.

A good amount of flavor for the ABV. They stand pretty similar in quality for me so far.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Had at my parents house in Chicago, they brought it back from Wisconsin. This has been on my must-try list based on a personal recommendation from beer god Boyd, and also it's currently number 30.

I won't detail the appearance, smell, and taste as they are detailed in full by previous reviews. The main thing about it is I hoped it was a Flanders red (sour ale). But it turned out to have a secret ingredient: cherries. It's a cherry lambic... huh.

It's good for it's style but not really my cup of tea.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

I drank from a 750ml bottle into a champagne flute.

This fruit beers pours a deep red, almost purple with a light pink head that has a dash of brown in it. The head rises about 2 inchecs and has decent retention, no significant lacing.

The aroma is big and bold with lots of sweetness. It smells totally of cherries, like a nice cherry slushy. There is a hint of cola and smidge of tartness.

The taste is very sweet, once again almost all cherries is what you get. The sweet is very nice, but lightly let down and not rewarded with any sour or tart bite to it. The sweetness is great but makes it hard to drink a lot of it without it being balanced between sweet and tart.

The mouthfeel is light and its very drinkable despite how sweet it is.

4.29/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tasting glass. A dark, ruby color with a finger of creamy looking white head. Smell is pure cherry. A malt sweetness is lurking in the background, but it's hard to detect anything behind the huge cherry presence. The taste is only cherry juice. I'm not sure this can be called beer. I could drink this in the morning with my toast. Like with the other New Glarus beers of this ilk, I'm finding the 4 or so ounces I consumed to be a good amount. The sweetness and one noted-ness was just getting to me by the end. Still an absolute killer offering.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Joe was kind enough to send me one of these long time wants in the LNBA BIF a while back. Thanks, Joe! I split this with 2 friends last night.

The pour is quite gorgeous, hazy and turbid ruby red with a large, dense off white head with excellent retention and lacing. The nose is pure cherry juice, fresh and refreshing with a delicious blend of tartness and sweetness. Mildly jammy, this is glorious! The palate is similar, with sweet cherries, rich and pure. Mild tartness is present and the acidity and funk are very restrained (almost non-existent) for a beer that's supposed to have wild yeast and bacteria. The finish is a touch disappointing, with the sweetness fizzling out rather rapidly. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, this beer is a treat, but my 8oz were sufficient. I would never turn this down, though.

2.98/5  rDev -31.7%

Being a huge fan of New Glarus and pretty much everything I've had from them, I was pretty excited to finally try this one. I love cherries, so this has been a want for a bit.

The appearance and smell were awesome. Nice reddish hue and big cherry smell. Good carbonation. Not a huge head. Looking good so far.

Then....I tasted it and I felt like I was a kid again when Mom was trying to shove that synthetic flavored 'cherry' swill down my throat when I had a boo boo. I took another sip, then another, then another...then stopped. Wife tried it and like it...wife gets bottle of Belgian Red.

Really disappointed, esp after how much I love Raspberry Tart and Serendipity. This was not good, at least to me. Wife thought otherwise.

4.64/5  rDev +6.4%

The color on the pour is a deep black cherry red with a Brobdingnagian sized head that is semi-creamy in texture, the color a light tan tinged with red and as it evanesces the lace forms a thick and clinging curtain to obscure the glass. Nose is that of ripe cherries, and sweet malt grains, tart and crisp, fresh an appealing like homemade bread fresh from the oven. The front is ambrosial, loaded with malt, the top rich and full, what a treat. Finish has a meaningful acidity with the hops present and delicate in their spiciness, cherry sweetness and flavor carries to the somewhat vinous and dry aftertaste, what a “Hoot”, and once as with Lambic’s I shunned this style of beers. Thankfully I’ve had a reclamation and now see the errors of my ways, and thanks to tavernjef, another opportunity to sample a great beer from a great brewery.

4.44/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a slightly hazed ruby tinted brown color, nice cap of offwhite head and good lacing. Scent is an amazingly bold rush of tart and lightly sweet cherry with a grahmn crackery malt background... thats about it and thats all it needs to be. Taste again brings the cherry... tart, lightly sour and lightly sweet... and the faint hint of grahmn crackery malt provides some balance. Medium bodied, good mid to high carbonation level, no heavy lingering after tastes. Another fantastic beer from New Glarus, im partial to raspberry so ill give that one a nod overall, but they are both the best fruit beers available.

Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company