Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,892 | Reviews: 929
4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: A warm, sumptuous burgundy-fuschia rouge. No head to speak of, but what an interesting color.

Smell: Tart, crisp, and irresistably appetizing, but rather one-dimensional. I smell cherries and that's about it.

Taste: When my brother first told me about this beer, he said it tastes just like cherry pie, and man, he wasn't kidding. Sweet, tart, very natural-tasting cherries, a touch of cinnamon spice, and some doughy notes, most likely from the wheat and roasted malts. Such a festive ale! I don't usually like sweet beers, but this is just plain delicious. Not artificial or syrupy in the least. Finish is clean and sour.

Mouthfeel: Sparkly and light, matches the tartness perfectly.

Drinkability: Since it is so sweet, I don't think I could handle more than a few glasses of this... but what a pleasure to savor slowly after dinner. I will definitely buy more when I return to Wisconsin for the holidays.

4.69/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to Ughsmash for the trade

Bottle poured into my tulip formed a nice white head the goes to a ring of white around the glass all sitting on top of a Hazy red body

Tons of cherry aromas fill the room smells like moms cherry pie

Again cherry flavor not to sweet not to tart just right a great treat for the taste buds

Clean and crisp mouthfeel nice carbonation on the tongue

Will search this one out again, I really want more. My wife even had a few glasses with me and she is not into beer at all.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

This champagne bottle of New Glarus Belgian Red has been cellared at 42.5 degrees F since October of 2010, (one year).

A - Poured into a champagne glass this beer pours a purplish ruby with an eggshell white head that started at less than an eighth of an inch but quickly retreated to a simple ring at the glass leaving the surface free to witness the rising carbonation.

S - Sweet and tart cherry aroma with a yeasty hint. I think it to have lost a tinge in the scent character while in the cellar.

T - Slight sour apple flavor with the sweet cherry I would expect. Like the aroma I feel the flavor has lost a hair in the cellar.

M - Dry and sticky with a feeling of pucker left after each pull. The feel I believe has gotten just a bit better.

~ This is a great beverage. I'm always happy to crack open a bottle of this sweet and tart cherry beer. I would certainly recommend it to a friend and I'll definitely drink it again in the future.

Review above completed on October 11, 2011.
~~~
Review below completed on October 10, 2010.

A - Deep reddish to a light hazy purple body. The head is about a half inch tall in the color of white. It fades to a thin layer allowing the body to show through its wisps. (4)

S - Pungently sour cherries. Very inviting. It smells nothing like any other brew I've encountered. I can't imagine a fruit beer offering a better aroma. (5)

T - The sour cherry is prevalent with a tart edge. The pungency is not prevalent as it is in the scent. This is a superb tasting fruit brew. (5)

M - The feel is wet and slightly coarse. I almost wish it was a bit softer as a wine would be. Nonetheless, it goes down well. (4)

~ Easy to drink. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, desert. This is a beer that has stood and I imagine will continue to be on the brew calendar for the folks in Southern Wisconsin. (4.5)

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%

Tasted On: 01-08-2012
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 750 ml green bottle
Glassware: Wine glass
Purchased: Received in a trade

Appearance: Clear, with a ruby red color. The cream-colored head is about a finger's worth and fades fairly quickly, leaving a good amount of lace.

Smell: Wow! Extreme cherry fruit aromas are bursting from the glass. I don't smell anything beyond the cherries, but they are delightfully clean, sweet and fruity.

Taste: Just like the aroma, this beer is all about the cherries in flavor. Rich fruity taste, with intense and flavorful cherries, with some tartness but primarily sweet notes. As the beer warms, it tastes more tangy.

Mouthfeel: The fruits combined with high carbonation make for a zesty mouthfeel. The aftertaste is of cherry fruit, with a balance between sweet and tart.

Overall: An excellent and elegant beer; a real treat!

Thanks to Crass3000 for this one!

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

4.79/5  rDev +9.4%

Served in the 750 mL bottle, into a goblet. The color is cherry-red, with a wisp of white head. The smell is a sweet, tangy cherry. The taste is a very tangy, sour cherry that seems to be just perfectly balanced; no particular sense seems to dominate, but they just meet perfectly. Mouthfeel is very thick and syrupy. As for drinkability, I could have quite a few of these.

A fine accomplishment from a fine brewery. Even better than the Raspberry Tart, as the cherry seems to fit the beer much more. Simply fantastic, and one I'd give to someone who didn't much care for beer. Thank you to Bighuge for the bottle.

3.45/5  rDev -21.2%

Murky, opaque red liquid topped by a moderate cream colored head. Aroma is very much like cherry pie filling, with a noticeable sweetness. Taste is also much the same, but with a sharp tartness on the finish. This beer is so acidic on the finish it tasted more like strong cherry lemonade at first. Even after 40 minutes of sipping on this, I still get occasional chills from the sharp bite on the finish. Every once in a while, a slight medicinal bitterness comes through, only to get smacked into submission by the sourness. Mouthfeel is good, with a medium body a supple carbonation. Drinkability is average. It seemed to take me forever to finish this beer. While I'm not trying to question the ingredients in this beer, it just tasted somewhat artificial. I don't know why, but to me it just does. It's interesting, and I'm glad I tried it.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

shared a bottle of this w/ bonhoeffer & deaconbluez at the j.clyde...

poured a ruby red color into a snifter. the nose was overwhelmingly cherries but with a hint of sweetness. the taste was the same but with the slightest tartness just to balance out the sweetness. the mouthfeel was silky smooth. i could have easily drunk the whole bottle but was glad to share it with some friends.

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

A: A bit hazy and purplish/red; no real head or lacing unless really forced with vigorous swirling

S: Cherry candy up front: jolly rancher, kool-aid, bubble gum; this smells so sweet with SO MUCH cherries; a bit tart and maybe a touch of a biscuity base but mostly just sweet cherry candy

T: Sweet but not cloyingly so, which I attribute to the pleasant tartness that balances this beer out; loads and loads of cherry of course; this really is tasty but man it doesn't taste like beer, so much tart cherries with even a touch of alcohol in the end; a bit dry of a finish with a touch of a medicinal finish as well

F: Good, decent mouth feel--this beer sticks to the roof of the mouth nicely

O: This is a good, interesting beer; I am not sure I would drink a ton and as it warms it gets a touch on the medicinal side but I still like it

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a bottle into a Bell's snifter. It pours a hazy, but beautiful, ruby-red color with a nice pink head that dissipates quickly. There are lots of fresh, tart cherries on the nose as well as hints of almonds and bubblegum.

The beer has a medium-light body. The carbonation is lower than I expected, but it still has a nice firm, silky feel. Very strong flavors of sweet cherries (skins and all - I can almost feel them in my teeth) and fruit juice on the front of the palate. Flavor then becomes slightly acidic and tart, yet still maintains a nice appetizing balance between sweet and sour. Other flavors include mild notes of apple, red grape, and a hint of cranberry. The finish has some mouth-drying tannins and is very refreshing.

Overall, an outstanding beer. Very fruity, nicely-balanced, and guaranteed to put a smile on your face (and a pucker on your lips). It probably won't appeal to all beer fans, but I thought it was delicious.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus Brewing Company