Wisconsin Belgian Red - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin Belgian RedWisconsin Belgian Red

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wisconsin Belgian Red Alström Bros
topdown

speedvagen

02-24-2013 21:19:48 | More by speedvagen
Gtreid

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

750 m bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: A semi-clear ruby red color. The pour produces about a finger of off white reddish head the receeds to a thin rim, and left no lace.

A: Cherries all the way. Tart cherries, sweet cherries, more cherries. There are some bready malts and a little earthy hop presence, but the sweetness of the cherries is strong.

T: Very nice if your in the mood for this type of beer. Tastes like cherry juice with a hints of hops and bread. Super sweet and very fruity.

M: Medium body, high level of carbonation give it a strong tingle at the back of the throat. Semi-creamy, nice.

D and overall impression: For me, it is too sweet. I really enjoy the flavor component, but I had to share the bottle with a good buddy of mine. So it doesn't get high marks here. Overall, I think this could be a beer my wife would like,(she's not a craft beer lover). I like it, just don't love it. Skal.

07-14-2009 12:58:53 | More by Gtreid
Mistofminn

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a faded ruby red with a white head similar to a soda's in the way that it starts large, but quickly shrinks to just a small ring around the outside of the glass. Despite the quickly dissipating head, there is a little bit of lacing. Just a few rings show the previous levels of the liquid.

The nose is pretty much the most intense smelling cherry liquid of any kind I've ever smelled. Very acidic and vinegary, almost wine like. The best way for me to describe this is a cherry cider. Very sweet and very tart at the same time.

The taste is straight up cherries. Sweet and tart, more leaning towards the sweet side, but not overly sweet. To me, this is a combination of ripe sweetened cherries mixed with unripe tart cherries. There is literally nothing else here, just cherries. Me not being a cherry fan at all (I much prefer raspberries) this is great stuff. Cherry flavor is real cherries (over a pound in every bottle), and in no way artificial, which was a big relief.

Light bodied and slightly tart, with a lively carbonation. This has the mouthfeel of a slightly flat cherry pop. Great drinkability.

Overall, a solid offering from New Glarus, who ceases to amaze me. Every single time they satisfy me.

I have to say, I am a much bigger fan of Raspberry Tart, but this is still a more than stellar offering. Highly recommended and it definitely earned it's spot in the Top 100.

07-20-2009 00:12:25 | More by Mistofminn
Imstillthegman

Delaware

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

This one pours a nice bright maroon. There was a thin head, but it disappeared rather quickly. Lacing isn't an issue with this one.

The aroma is, just as I thought, filled with cherries. Tart cherries, at that. Oh, and some cherries.

The flavor brings to mind....cherries. Sweet, yet a tad tart. Very fresh cherry flavor, not fake at all. The sweetness is almost too much for me at times, though.

Syrupy mouthfeel. Lighter carbonation when compared to the Raspberry Tart. The sweetness knocks this one down a rung for me as far as drinkability is concerned. Very different, yet enjoyable. I do prefer the Raspberry Tart over this one, however.

01-13-2009 19:21:10 | More by Imstillthegman
udubdawg

Kansas

09-13-2012 17:11:10 | More by udubdawg
fehrminator

06-19-2013 01:07:39 | More by fehrminator
KAP1356

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

A buddy of mine brought back 3 bottles for me after his last trip to WI. Split 3 ways with him and another friend. Poured into a red wine glass...

A - Pours a gorgeous, shiny ruby red color with no real head whatsoever. At times, with no light hitting it, it appears slightly brownish. Slight agitation produces a miniute fzz, but no head to speak of.

S - Sweet cherries and some slight spice to it as well. No malt or hop presence is noticeable. Most cherry aroma I've ever gotten from a brew.

T - Sour, sweet but not cloying in any way, slight spice. Like drinking a cherry pie; absolutely delicious and unlike any cherry beer I have ever had before.

M - Light body with mild carbination. Great crispness with a nice tart finish.

D - I could easily drink several of these. Not too sweet like I thought it would be and quite a nice refreshing beer to have. Would go great with desserts.

09-27-2010 20:46:34 | More by KAP1356
birdsellam

Indiana

02-11-2013 18:20:31 | More by birdsellam
Risser09

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

750ml bottle poured into a wine tulip - fridge - probably 2009

Appearance: Pours a murky brown color with cherry red hues at the edges. A vigorous, but short-lived brown, red-tinted head builds and falls down just like soda would. A minimal lace ring stays behind.

Smell: Tons and tons of cherry aroma indicates the shear amount that they put in every batch. It's so strong, on the verge of medicinal, but is showing signs of sweetness and barrel aging (wood). Excellent, mouthwatering.

Taste: Super cherry intensity. The cherries are again on the border of medicinal, but they are curbed by the wheat malt flavor. It really tastes just like a sweet cherry picked off the tree, with an alcohol boost. Top notch.

Mouthfeel: Very effervescent and lively, compared to the raspberry tart. Sweet, tart, quenching and intense. Some lingering alcohol.

Drinkability: This beer is a superb dessert. I could have one every night if I could afford it and it was actually available in PA. I think this might be better than the raspberry tart.

07-05-2010 01:03:54 | More by Risser09
Kadonny

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured from a 750 waxed top bottle into a tulip glass. Shared with my wife on Christmas evening.

A: A deep reddish mahogany color with a one finger reddish fizzy head. No glass lacing and the head does disappear.

S: Cherries galore! Wow, smells just like a cherry soda with some tartness. I'm not getting much else on the smell.

T: Cherries, cherries, cherries. A huge cherry flavor that starts, stays and finishes. Some slight oak and yeast that keep the beer somewhat tart and doesn't allow the sweetness to totally take over, but the sweetness still wins in the end. After a few sips, this starts to get very "cherry cough syrupy" with the flavor.

M: Fizzy, tart, sweet with no alcohol.

O: Ok, I struggle to see how people are rating this beer so high. Where is the complexity? There is none in my eyes, it's all cherry all the time with flavors that start to wear on you after awhile. Am I missing something here?

I normally like fruit beers, but this one to me is just one dimensional and starts to taste like cough syrup to me. Not totally digging that. I enjoyed the experience, but I won't seek it out again.

12-26-2011 16:05:12 | More by Kadonny
Booner818

02-14-2014 06:53:14 | More by Booner818
Kenai4

05-09-2014 17:22:33 | More by Kenai4
ncvbc

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a murky reddish brown, thin fizzy head and big carbonation. Well, it looks like cider and smells the same way. Cherry and a spicy cider character. Very sweet and fruity, plain and simple. Taste has a lot of cider-like flavor to it...right as it hits my tongue that's what I think of. It's quite sweet and sugary with a little hint of yeast. Somewhat tart cherry finish. Mouthfeel is alive with carbonation and tart. Hmm, I don't think this is my style. There's not much wrong with this beer, it just doesn't sit well. I really don't feel like I'm drinking beer right now. I can see why some people would love the hell out of this one, I guess it's not my style. Funny thing is...the drinkability score is lower for me simply because I'm not digging it completely. If you enjoy this type of beer, I bet you could drink the hell out of it aside from how much it would cost. No alcohol at all and doesn't seem like beer. Close your eyes and imagine.

Cheers to jw347 and scoobydank for sending bottles my way

05-08-2008 01:15:01 | More by ncvbc
kbnooshay

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a gorgrous dark red. Small white head doesn't last for more than a few seconds. Aroma is HUGE! The fresh juicy cherry aroma is massive. Perfect level of tartness, more so than the raspberry tart. Feel is light to moderate with a light tingle from the carbonation. This is brilliant. Super juicy drinkable.

01-03-2011 01:17:07 | More by kbnooshay

ahbithwabm

02-16-2014 10:37:51 | More by ahbithwabm
Backer2004

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Finally got my hand on this while on a family trip to Milwaukee. 22 ounce bottle sealed in red wax, $9.99. My expectations were very high and at first, I thought they were met. However, after the third sip or so, I realized how overrated it was. Worth trying for sure, but there's great fruit beers that are much easier to find.

06-27-2012 22:40:06 | More by Backer2004
tewaris

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured into a wine glass. Brilliantly clear, bright scarlet colored with a medium sized creamy pink hued head. Average head retention and little lacing, but very beautiful looking beer, especially when help up to light.

Aroma is very sweet, loaded with cherries and some softer floral notes. The taste is similar, but stronger: very sweet but in a light and tart way, with a bare hint of hops at the end. Lip smacking good. Medium bodied with good carbonation, but not enough to scrub the sweetness off the palate, or it could be the temperature of the beer, which has gotten warmer. Overall a very good and unique beer.

03-19-2011 00:00:30 | More by tewaris
schmidtmattsays

12-12-2013 04:48:38 | More by schmidtmattsays
brownbeer

Missouri

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer is always a treat. Thanks to Thirdeye11 for this one.

A- Bright cherry red

S- Like sweet cherry candy with graham cracker malt. Not too complex, just brilliance.

T&M- Soft and delicate. Sweet and slightly tart cherry at the same time.

D- Refreshing and delicious. The kind of beer my mom(or anyone who doesn't like beer) would and should drink.

11-12-2009 03:01:46 | More by brownbeer